Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on polysaccharides in Sweden
- Schedin Weiss S, Richard B, Hjelm R, Olson S. Antiangiogenic forms of antithrombin specifically bind to the anticoagulant heparin sequence. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13610-9 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to delineating the mechanism by which heparin or heparan sulfate mediates antiangiogenic activity of antithrombin. ..
- Tiedemann K, Olander B, Eklund E, Todorova L, Bengtsson M, Maccarana M, et al. Regulation of the chondroitin/dermatan fine structure by transforming growth factor-beta1 through effects on polymer-modifying enzymes. Glycobiology. 2005;15:1277-85 pubmed..Thus, cellular activity and transcript level correlated well with the changes in the structure of the dermatan/chondroitin sulfate chains. ..
- Hykollari A, Eckmair B, Voglmeir J, Jin C, Yan S, Vanbeselaere J, et al. More Than Just Oligomannose: An N-glycomic Comparison of Penicillium Species. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2016;15:73-92 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results indicate that mere mass spectrometric screening is insufficient to reveal the subtly complex nature of N-glycosylation even within a single fungal genus. ..
- Nilsson J, Ruetschi U, Halim A, Hesse C, Carlsohn E, Brinkmalm G, et al. Enrichment of glycopeptides for glycan structure and attachment site identification. Nat Methods. 2009;6:809-11 pubmed publisher..We identified 36 N-linked and 44 O-linked glycosylation sites on glycoproteins from human cerebrospinal fluid. ..
- Bergström N, Jansson P, Kilian M, Skov Sørensen U. A unique variant of streptococcal group O-antigen (C-polysaccharide) that lacks phosphocholine. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:2157-62 pubmed..This structure is identical to the double choline-substituted form of C-polysaccharide, except that it is substituted with ethanolamine instead of choline. This extends the number of recognized C-polysaccharide variants to four. ..
- Johansen K. Discovery and industrial applications of lytic polysaccharide mono-oxygenases. Biochem Soc Trans. 2016;44:143-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, it has been suggested that LPMOs play a role in the pathology of infectious diseases such as cholera and to thus be relevant in the field of medicine. ..
- Yamada S, Busse M, Ueno M, Kelly O, Skarnes W, Sugahara K, et al. Embryonic fibroblasts with a gene trap mutation in Ext1 produce short heparan sulfate chains. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:32134-41 pubmed..These data suggest that not only the sulfation pattern but also the length of the heparan sulfate chains is a critical determinant of normal mouse development. ..
- Maria Cherian R, Gaunitz S, Nilsson A, Liu J, Karlsson N, Holgersson J. Shiga-like toxin binds with high avidity to multivalent O-linked blood group P1 determinants on mucin-type fusion proteins. Glycobiology. 2014;24:26-38 pubmed publisher..P1-decorated PSGL-1/mIgG2b bound with high avidity to both Stx1 and Stx2, and as such constitutes a potential therapeutic inhibitor of these toxins. ..
- Le Normand M, Mélida H, Holmbom B, Michaelsen T, Inngjerdingen M, Bulone V, et al. Hot-water extracts from the inner bark of Norway spruce with immunomodulating activities. Carbohydr Polym. 2014;101:699-704 pubmed publisher..Macrophages were stimulated by IB 100°C and IB 140°C in a dose-dependent manner, but not by IB 160°C. IB 100°C presented the highest activity toward macrophages, comparable to the control pectin. ..
- Larsson J, Karlsson H, Crespo J, Johansson M, Eklund L, Sjovall H, et al. Altered O-glycosylation profile of MUC2 mucin occurs in active ulcerative colitis and is associated with increased inflammation. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:2299-307 pubmed publisher..In the majority of the active UC patients MUC2 mucin has an altered glycan profile as compared to inactive UC and control patients. Patients with strong alterations in the glycan pattern tended to have a more severe disease course. ..
- Samakovlis C, Asling B, Boman H, Gateff E, Hultmark D. In vitro induction of cecropin genes--an immune response in a Drosophila blood cell line. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1992;188:1169-75 pubmed..Experiments with different drugs indicate that the response may be mediated by a G protein, but not by protein kinase C or eicosanoids, and that it requires a protein factor with a high rate of turnover. ..
- Björses K, Holst J. Topical haemostatics in renal trauma--an evaluation of four different substances in an experimental setting. J Trauma. 2009;66:602-11 pubmed publisher..Gelatin-containing products provided a fast hemostasis in this experimental model. One third of the animals rebled, regardless of whether thrombin or rFVIIa was added. Further studies are demanded to confirm these results clinically. ..
- Razi N, Lindahl U. Biosynthesis of heparin/heparan sulfate. The D-glucosaminyl 3-O-sulfotransferase reaction: target and inhibitor saccharides. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:11267-75 pubmed..It is proposed that the regulation of GlcN 3-O-sulfation during biosynthesis of heparin/heparan sulfate depends on the topological organization of the membrane-bound enzyme machinery in the intact cell...
- Teneberg S, Leonardsson I, Karlsson H, Jovall P, Angstrom J, Danielsson D, et al. Lactotetraosylceramide, a novel glycosphingolipid receptor for Helicobacter pylori, present in human gastric epithelium. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:19709-19 pubmed..Therefore, Galbeta3GlcNAc is an essential part of the binding epitope. ..
- Tonning A, Hemphälä J, Tång E, Nannmark U, Samakovlis C, Uv A. A transient luminal chitinous matrix is required to model epithelial tube diameter in the Drosophila trachea. Dev Cell. 2005;9:423-30 pubmed..We propose that the transient luminal protein/polysaccharide matrix is sensed by the epithelial cells and coordinates cytoskeletal organization to ensure uniform lumen diameter. ..
- Nordmark E, Perepelov A, Shashkov A, Nazarenko E, Gorshkova R, Ivanova E, et al. Structure of an acidic polysaccharide from the marine bacterium Pseudoalteromonas aliena type strain KMM 3562T containing two residues of L-serine in the repeating unit. Carbohydr Res. 2005;340:1483-7 pubmed..It was found that the polysaccharide consists of pentasaccharide repeating units with the following structure: [carbohydrate structure]; see text...
- Holmborn K, Ledin J, Smeds E, Eriksson I, Kusche Gullberg M, Kjellen L. Heparan sulfate synthesized by mouse embryonic stem cells deficient in NDST1 and NDST2 is 6-O-sulfated but contains no N-sulfate groups. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:42355-8 pubmed..The 6-O-sulfated polysaccharide lacking N-sulfate groups also contains N-unsubstituted glucosamine units, raising questions about how these units are generated. ..
- Busse M, Kusche Gullberg M. In vitro polymerization of heparan sulfate backbone by the EXT proteins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:41333-7 pubmed..These results indicate that EXT1 alone and the EXT1/2 heterocomplex can act as heparan sulfate polymerases in vitro without the addition of additional auxiliary proteins. ..
- Ahrén I, Eriksson E, Egesten A, Riesbeck K. Nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae activates human eosinophils through beta-glucan receptors. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003;29:598-605 pubmed..This points to possible pathophysiologic mechanisms involving innate recognition of NTHi by eosinophils during infection of the airways, thus promoting inflammation in chronic pulmonary disease. ..
- Aspeborg H, Coutinho P, Wang Y, Brumer H, Henrissat B. Evolution, substrate specificity and subfamily classification of glycoside hydrolase family 5 (GH5). BMC Evol Biol. 2012;12:186 pubmed publisher..With the objective of improving the differentiation of enzyme specificities in a knowledge-based context, and to obtain new evolutionary insights, we present here a new, robust subfamily classification of family GH5...
- Carlsson S, Fukuda M. The polylactosaminoglycans of human lysosomal membrane glycoproteins lamp-1 and lamp-2. Localization on the peptide backbones. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:20488-95 pubmed..These results indicated that only certain glycosylation sites can be selectively modified by poly-N-acetyllactosamine, and those sites may confer the requirement by beta 1----3-N-acetylglucosaminyl transferase. ..
- Padra J, Sundh H, Sundell K, Venkatakrishnan V, Jin C, Samuelsson T, et al. Aeromonas salmonicida Growth in Response to Atlantic Salmon Mucins Differs between Epithelial Sites, Is Governed by Sialylated and N-Acetylhexosamine-Containing O-Glycans, and Is Affected by Ca2. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..Furthermore, since the mucin glycan repertoire affects pathogen growth, the glycan repertoire may be a factor to take into account during breeding and selection of strains for aquaculture. ..
- Hemming A, Bolmstedt A, Jansson B, Hansen J, Travis B, Hu S, et al. Identification of three N-linked glycans in the V4-V5 region of HIV-1 gp 120, dispensable for CD4-binding and fusion activity of gp 120. Arch Virol. 1994;134:335-44 pubmed..These data indicate that the three N-linked glycans studied are dispensable for HIV env gene products to function in CD4-binding and the subsequent fusion step. ..
- Carlsson S, Lycksell P, Fukuda M. Assignment of O-glycan attachment sites to the hinge-like regions of human lysosomal membrane glycoproteins lamp-1 and lamp-2. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993;304:65-73 pubmed..These results, taken together, strongly suggest that a hinge region does not display any typical ordered structure. The presence of O-glycans thus likely protects this region from intralumenal lysosomal proteases. ..
- Verdrengh M, Erlandsson Harris H, Tarkowski A. Role of selectins in experimental Staphylococcus aureus-induced arthritis. Eur J Immunol. 2000;30:1606-13 pubmed..aureus-induced arthritis: on the one hand, blockade of these selectins leads to less severe arthritic lesions in the initial stage of the disease; on the other, delayed recruitment of phagocytes decreases the clearance of bacteria. ..
- Jacobs A, Lundqvist J, Stålbrand H, Tjerneld F, Dahlman O. Characterization of water-soluble hemicelluloses from spruce and aspen employing SEC/MALDI mass spectroscopy. Carbohydr Res. 2002;337:711-7 pubmed..75. The fractions eluted last consisted of oligosaccharide mixtures composed primarily of small neutral O-acetyl-xylooligosaccharides (DP(p) 6, DS 0.41), together with minor quantities of an O-acetyl-glucomannan...
- Shashkov A, Torgov V, Nazarenko E, Zubkov V, Gorshkova N, Gorshkova R, et al. Structure of the phenol-soluble polysaccharide from Shewanella putrefaciens strain A6. Carbohydr Res. 2002;337:1119-27 pubmed
- Gendre D, McFarlane H, Johnson E, Mouille G, Sjodin A, Oh J, et al. Trans-Golgi network localized ECHIDNA/Ypt interacting protein complex is required for the secretion of cell wall polysaccharides in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2013;25:2633-46 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results reveal a TGN subdomain defined by ECH/YIP4 that is required for the secretion of pectin and hemicellulose and distinguishes the role of the TGN in secretion from its roles in endocytic and vacuolar trafficking. ..
- Kochumalayil J, Zhou Q, Kasai W, Berglund L. Regioselective modification of a xyloglucan hemicellulose for high-performance biopolymer barrier films. Carbohydr Polym. 2013;93:466-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this regioselective modification can be carefully controlled, and results in a new type of cellulose derivatives with preserved cellulose backbone without the need for harmful solvents...
- Thomsson K, Holmén Larsson J, Angstrom J, Johansson M, Xia L, Hansson G. Detailed O-glycomics of the Muc2 mucin from colon of wild-type, core 1- and core 3-transferase-deficient mice highlights differences compared with human MUC2. Glycobiology. 2012;22:1128-39 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight that murine colonic Muc2 O-glycosylation is substantially different from human MUC2, which could be one explanation for the different commensal microbiota of these two species. ..
- Hagner McWhirter A, Li J, Oscarson S, Lindahl U. Irreversible glucuronyl C5-epimerization in the biosynthesis of heparan sulfate. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:14631-8 pubmed..These results indicate that glucuronic acid C5-epimerization is effectively irreversible in vivo and argue for a stringent organization of the biosynthetic machinery. ..
- Nilsson J, Nilsson J, Larson G, Grahn A. Characterization of site-specific O-glycan structures within the mucin-like domain of alpha-dystroglycan from human skeletal muscle. Glycobiology. 2010;20:1160-9 pubmed publisher..Twenty-five glycopeptides were characterized from human alpha-dystroglycan, which provide insight to the complex in vivo O-glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan. ..
- Karlsson H, Halim A, Teneberg S. Differentiation of glycosphingolipid-derived glycan structural isomers by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry. Glycobiology. 2010;20:1103-16 pubmed publisher..Here, liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry of the oligosaccharides released by endoglycoceramidase allowed tentative identification of a number of glycosphingolipids ranging from tri- to nonaglycosylceramides. ..
- Vasur J, Kawai R, Larsson A, Igarashi K, Sandgren M, Samejima M, et al. X-ray crystallographic native sulfur SAD structure determination of laminarinase Lam16A from Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2006;62:1422-9 pubmed..The other N-glycosylation motif was found close to the catalytic centre and is evidently not glycosylated. ..
- Sun W, Parry S, Panico M, Morris H, Kjellberg M, Engström Å, et al. N-glycans and the N terminus of protein C inhibitor affect the cofactor-enhanced rates of thrombin inhibition. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18601-11 pubmed publisher..The findings are medically important, in view of the documented association of PCI with atherosclerotic plaques and the promising effect of PCI on reducing hypercoagulability states. ..
- Sun W, Parry S, Ubhayasekera W, Engström Å, Dell A, Schedin Weiss S. Further insight into the roles of the glycans attached to human blood protein C inhibitor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;403:198-202 pubmed publisher..Modeling suggested that the O-glycan attachment site is located in proximity to several ligand-binding sites of the inhibitor. ..
- Adamiak B, Ekblad M, Bergstr m T, Ferro V, Trybala E. Herpes simplex virus type 2 glycoprotein G is targeted by the sulfated oligo- and polysaccharide inhibitors of virus attachment to cells. J Virol. 2007;81:13424-34 pubmed publisher..This is a novel finding that suggests the involvement of HSV-2 gG in interactions with sulfated polysaccharides, including cell surface glycosaminoglycans...
- Allhorn M, Ols n A, Collin M. EndoS from Streptococcus pyogenes is hydrolyzed by the cysteine proteinase SpeB and requires glutamic acid 235 and tryptophans for IgG glycan-hydrolyzing activity. BMC Microbiol. 2008;8:3 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that the cysteine proteinase SpeB processes/degrades EndoS and thus emphasize the importance of the SpeB as a degrading/processing enzyme of proteins from the bacterium itself...