Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on plant viruses in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: plant viruses
- Mallory A, Ely L, Smith T, Marathe R, Anandalakshmi R, Fagard M, et al. HC-Pro suppression of transgene silencing eliminates the small RNAs but not transgene methylation or the mobile signal. Plant Cell. 2001;13:571-83 pubmed..These results demonstrate that HC-Pro functions downstream of transgene methylation and the mobile signal at a step preceding accumulation of the small RNAs. ..
- Chapman E, Prokhnevsky A, Gopinath K, Dolja V, Carrington J. Viral RNA silencing suppressors inhibit the microRNA pathway at an intermediate step. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1179-86 pubmed..In addition, p21 bound to synthetic miRNA/miRNA* and siRNA duplexes in vitro. We propose that several different suppressors act by distinct mechanisms to inhibit the incorporation of small RNAs into active RISCs. ..
- Symmes E, Perring T. Intraspecific variation in zucchini yellow mosaic virus transmission by Myzus persicae and the impact of aphid host plant. J Econ Entomol. 2007;100:1764-72 pubmed..Furthermore, the host plant on which the aphid is reared as well as the host plant on which it feeds just before virus acquisition contribute to ZYMV transmission efficiency of M. persicae. ..
- Yusibov V, Streatfield S, Kushnir N, Roy G, Padmanaban A. Hybrid viral vectors for vaccine and antibody production in plants. Curr Pharm Des. 2013;19:5574-86 pubmed..This article presents an overview of plant hybrid viral vector expression systems developed so far. ..
- Wu C, Jia L, Goggin F. The reliability of virus-induced gene silencing experiments using tobacco rattle virus in tomato is influenced by the size of the vector control. Mol Plant Pathol. 2011;12:299-305 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the pYL156:GUS construct represents an improved negative control for TRV-induced gene silencing. ..
- Hawkins S, Park B, Poole G, Gottwald T, Windham W, Albano J, et al. Comparison of FTIR spectra between Huanglongbing (citrus greening) and other citrus maladies. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:6007-10 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the spectra of some diseases and deficiencies more closely resemble those of apparently healthy plants and some share the carbohydrate transformation that has been seen in the spectra of HLB-infected plants. ..
- Wang J, Simon A. Symptom attenuation by a satellite RNA in vivo is dependent on reduced levels of virus coat protein. Virology. 1999;259:234-45 pubmed..TCV-CPm produces reduced levels of CP, and this reduction, not the two additional residues at the CP N-terminus, is responsible for symptom attenuation by sat-RNA C. ..
- Melcher U. The '30K' superfamily of viral movement proteins. J Gen Virol. 2000;81:257-66 pubmed..Establishment of the alignment of residues of diverse families facilitates comparison of mutagenesis experiments done on different movement proteins and should serve as a guide for further such experiments. ..
- Naidu R, Collins G, Ghabrial S. Nucleotide sequence analysis of a cDNA clone encoding the coat protein gene of peanut stunt virus. Plant Mol Biol. 1991;17:175-7 pubmed
- Nutter R, Scheets K, Panganiban L, Lommel S. The complete nucleotide sequence of the maize chlorotic mottle virus genome. Nucleic Acids Res. 1989;17:3163-77 pubmed..The 25.1 kd ORF most likely encodes the capsid protein. The similar genome organization and amino acid sequence homology of MCMV with CarMV and TCV suggest an evolutionary relationship with these members of the carmovirus group. ..
- Verchot J. Wrapping membranes around plant virus infection. Curr Opin Virol. 2011;1:388-95 pubmed publisher..This article describes key examples of membrane modifications that are essential for plant virus replication and intercellular transport. ..
- Bachman E, Scott S, Xin G, Vance V. The complete nucleotide sequence of prune dwarf ilarvirus RNA 3: implications for coat protein activation of genome replication in ilarviruses. Virology. 1994;201:127-31 pubmed..This result suggests that the zinc-finger motif is not a required aspect of coat protein activation of replication in ilarviruses. ..
- Seabloom E, Borer E, Mitchell C, Power A. Viral diversity and prevalence gradients in North American Pacific Coast grasslands. Ecology. 2010;91:721-32 pubmed..This work demonstrates the need for further studies of processes governing coinfection, and the utility of applying theory developed to explain diversity in communities of free-living organisms to pathogen systems...
- Lee J. Phosphorylation of movement proteins by the plasmodesmal-associated protein kinase. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;451:625-39 pubmed publisher..Application of this approach may prove useful in isolating other host kinases that interact with various viral components. ..
- Scheets K, Redinbaugh M. Infectious cDNA transcripts of Maize necrotic streak virus: infectivity and translational characteristics. Virology. 2006;350:171-83 pubmed..The sequence, predicted structure, and the ability to function in vitro differentiate the MNeSV 3'CITE from that of Tomato bushy stunt virus. ..
- Markarian N, Li H, Ding S, Semancik J. RNA silencing as related to viroid induced symptom expression. Arch Virol. 2004;149:397-406 pubmed..PTGS induced in Gynura aurantiaca infected with two closely-related variants of Citrus exocortis viroid, a member of family Pospiviroidae, was not directly related to viroid titer with initiation of symptoms...
- Roth B, Pruss G, Vance V. Plant viral suppressors of RNA silencing. Virus Res. 2004;102:97-108 pubmed..Because they interfere with silencing at different points in the pathway, these viral suppressors are powerful tools to help unravel the mechanism of RNA silencing in plants...
- Diaz Pendon J, Li F, Li W, Ding S. Suppression of antiviral silencing by cucumber mosaic virus 2b protein in Arabidopsis is associated with drastically reduced accumulation of three classes of viral small interfering RNAs. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2053-63 pubmed
- Mlotshwa S, Schauer S, Smith T, Mallory A, Herr J, Roth B, et al. Ectopic DICER-LIKE1 expression in P1/HC-Pro Arabidopsis rescues phenotypic anomalies but not defects in microRNA and silencing pathways. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2873-85 pubmed..These data suggest that P1/HC-Pro defects in development do not result from general impairments in small RNA pathways and raise the possibility that DCL1 participates in processes in addition to miRNA biogenesis. ..
- Zhong X, Archual A, Amin A, Ding B. A genomic map of viroid RNA motifs critical for replication and systemic trafficking. Plant Cell. 2008;20:35-47 pubmed publisher..Our model and approach should also be valuable for comprehensive investigations of the replication and trafficking motifs in other RNAs. ..
- Czapar A, Steinmetz N. Plant viruses and bacteriophages for drug delivery in medicine and biotechnology. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2017;38:108-116 pubmed publisher..Key target areas of development are their use in chemotherapy, photodynamic therapy, pesticide-delivery, gene therapy, vaccine carriers, and immunotherapy. ..
- Hao L, Wang H, Sunter G, Bisaro D. Geminivirus AL2 and L2 proteins interact with and inactivate SNF1 kinase. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1034-48 pubmed..They also indicate that geminiviruses are able to modify host metabolism to their own advantage, and they provide a molecular link between metabolic status and inherent susceptibility to viral pathogens...
- Allison R, Janda M, Ahlquist P. Sequence of cowpea chlorotic mottle virus RNAs 2 and 3 and evidence of a recombination event during bromovirus evolution. Virology. 1989;172:321-30 pubmed
- De La Torre C, Qu F, Redinbaugh M, Lewandowski D. Biological and molecular characterization of a U.S. isolate of Hosta virus X. Phytopathology. 2012;102:1176-81 pubmed publisher..The accuracy of the HVX-37 genome sequence was confirmed by infectivity of in vitro transcripts synthesized from a full-length HVX-37 cDNA on Nicotiana benthamiana and hosta plants...
- Chandra Shekara A, Navarre D, Kachroo A, Kang H, Klessig D, Kachroo P. Signaling requirements and role of salicylic acid in HRT- and rrt-mediated resistance to turnip crinkle virus in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2004;40:647-59 pubmed..These data suggest that the HRT-TCV interaction is unable to generate sufficient amounts of SA required for a stable resistance phenotype, and the presence of rrt possibly corrects this deficiency. ..
- Li H, Ding S. Antiviral silencing in animals. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5965-73 pubmed..We propose that herpes viral miRNAs may act as specificity factors to initiate heterochromatin assembly of the latent viral DNA genome in the nucleus. ..
- Harries P, Ding B. Cellular factors in plant virus movement: at the leading edge of macromolecular trafficking in plants. Virology. 2011;411:237-43 pubmed publisher..We emphasize that elucidating viral movement mechanisms will not only shed light on the molecular mechanisms of infection, but will also contribute valuable insights into the regulation of endogenous macromolecular trafficking...
- Vance V, Moore D, Turpen T, Bracker A, Hollowell V. The complete nucleotide sequence of pepper mottle virus genomic RNA: comparison of the encoded polyprotein with those of other sequenced potyviruses. Virology. 1992;191:19-30 pubmed
- Grover V, Pierce M, Hoyt P, Zhang F, Melcher U. Oligonucleotide-based microarray for detection of plant viruses employing sequence-independent amplification of targets. J Virol Methods. 2010;163:57-67 pubmed publisher..The work described is a significant step towards a method to assess, in one assay, the presence of a large diversity of relatives of known viruses of plants...
- Goodin M, Zaitlin D, Naidu R, Lommel S. Nicotiana benthamiana: its history and future as a model for plant-pathogen interactions. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2008;21:1015-26 pubmed publisher..Finally, we propose that N. benthamiana is well situated to become a premier plant cell biology model, particularly for the virology community, who as a group were the first to recognize the potential of this unique Australian native...
- Qian S, Zhong X, Yu L, Ding B, de Haan P, Boris Lawrie K. HIV-1 Tat RNA silencing suppressor activity is conserved across kingdoms and counteracts translational repression of HIV-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:605-10 pubmed publisher..We suggest that RNA silencing-mediated translation repression plays a strategic role in determining the viral set-point in a newly HIV-1-infected patient...
- Ding B, Wang Y. Viroids: uniquely simple and tractable models to elucidate regulation of cell-to-cell trafficking of RNA. DNA Cell Biol. 2009;28:51-6 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the unique features of viroids as well as experimental data to demonstrate these RNAs as simple and highly tractable models to elucidate the general mechanisms of RNA trafficking. ..
- Naidu R, Sawyer S, Deom C. Molecular diversity of RNA-2 genome segments in pecluviruses causing peanut clump disease in West Africa and India. Arch Virol. 2003;148:83-98 pubmed..The results indicate that there is substantial divergence among the RNA-2 genomes of pecluviruses and suggest that different proteins have evolved differently, possibly due to different selection pressures. ..
- Dasgupta R, Garcia B, Goodman R. Systemic spread of an RNA insect virus in plants expressing plant viral movement protein genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:4910-5 pubmed
- Roossinck M. Plant virus metagenomics: biodiversity and ecology. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:359-69 pubmed publisher..The implications of this new information on plant viruses for international agriculture remain to be addressed. ..
- Wang H, Hao L, Shung C, Sunter G, Bisaro D. Adenosine kinase is inactivated by geminivirus AL2 and L2 proteins. Plant Cell. 2003;15:3020-32 pubmed..AL2 proteins also have been shown to act as suppressors of RNA silencing, an adaptive host defense response. A possible relationship between ADK inactivation and silencing suppression is discussed...
- Zhu Y, Qi Y, Xun Y, Owens R, Ding B. Movement of potato spindle tuber viroid reveals regulatory points of phloem-mediated RNA traffic. Plant Physiol. 2002;130:138-46 pubmed..Thus, analysis of PSTVd traffic functions may provide insights about endogenous mechanisms that control phloem entry, transport, and exit of RNAs. ..
- Naidu R, Collins G, Ghabrial S. Symptom-modulating properties of peanut stunt virus satellite RNA sequence variants. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 1991;4:268-75 pubmed