Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on plant gene expression regulation in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
Topic: plant gene expression regulation
- Smertenko A, Chang H, Wagner V, Kaloriti D, Fenyk S, Sonobe S, et al. The Arabidopsis microtubule-associated protein AtMAP65-1: molecular analysis of its microtubule bundling activity. Plant Cell. 2004;16:2035-47 pubmed..Moreover, using an antiserum raised to AtMAP65-1, we show that AtMAP65-1 binds microtubules at specific stages of the cell cycle. ..
- Smith L, Pontes O, Searle I, Yelina N, Yousafzai F, Herr A, et al. An SNF2 protein associated with nuclear RNA silencing and the spread of a silencing signal between cells in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:1507-21 pubmed..We interpret the effect of polymerase IVa and trans-acting siRNA pathway mutations in terms of a modular property of RNA silencing pathways...
- Gershater M, Cummins I, Edwards R. Role of a carboxylesterase in herbicide bioactivation in Arabidopsis thaliana. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:21460-6 pubmed..Young atcxe12 seedlings were less sensitive than wild type plants to 2,4-D-methyl, confirming a role for the enzyme in herbicide bioactivation in Arabidopsis. ..
- Thorlby G, Fourrier N, Warren G. The SENSITIVE TO FREEZING2 gene, required for freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana, encodes a beta-glucosidase. Plant Cell. 2004;16:2192-203 pubmed publisher..After purification from a heterologous expression system, AtSFR2 displayed a specific hydrolytic activity against beta-d-glucosides...
- He R, Drury G, Rotari V, Gordon A, Willer M, Farzaneh T, et al. Metacaspase-8 modulates programmed cell death induced by ultraviolet light and H2O2 in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:774-83 pubmed..Knock-out seeds and seedlings had an increased tolerance to the herbicide methyl viologen. We suggest that metacaspase-8 is part of an evolutionary conserved PCD pathway activated by oxidative stress. ..
- Mayer M, Narbad A, Parr A, Parker M, Walton N, Mellon F, et al. Rerouting the plant phenylpropanoid pathway by expression of a novel bacterial enoyl-CoA hydratase/lyase enzyme function. Plant Cell. 2001;13:1669-82 pubmed
- Brutnell T, Sawers R, Mant A, Langdale J. BUNDLE SHEATH DEFECTIVE2, a novel protein required for post-translational regulation of the rbcL gene of maize. Plant Cell. 1999;11:849-64 pubmed..By characterizing Bsd2 expression patterns and analyzing the bsd2-conferred phenotype, we propose a model for BSD2 in the post-translational regulation of rbcL in maize. ..
- Zhang Y, Primavesi L, Jhurreea D, Andralojc P, Mitchell R, Powers S, et al. Inhibition of SNF1-related protein kinase1 activity and regulation of metabolic pathways by trehalose-6-phosphate. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:1860-71 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide strong evidence that T6P inhibits SnRK1 to activate biosynthetic processes in growing tissues. ..
- Marsh J, Rakocevic A, Mitra R, Brocard L, Sun J, Eschstruth A, et al. Medicago truncatula NIN is essential for rhizobial-independent nodule organogenesis induced by autoactive calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:324-35 pubmed..Based on our data, we suggest that MtNIN functions downstream of the early NF signaling pathway to coordinate and regulate the correct temporal and spatial formation of root nodules...
- Brown B, Jenkins G. UV-B signaling pathways with different fluence-rate response profiles are distinguished in mature Arabidopsis leaf tissue by requirement for UVR8, HY5, and HYH. Plant Physiol. 2008;146:576-88 pubmed..This research provides evidence that, in UV-B signaling, UVR8, HY5, and HYH act together in a photoregulatory pathway and demonstrates a new role for HYH in UV-B responses. ..
- Honsbein A, Sokolovski S, Grefen C, Campanoni P, Pratelli R, Paneque M, et al. A tripartite SNARE-K+ channel complex mediates in channel-dependent K+ nutrition in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2009;21:2859-77 pubmed publisher..Instead, it suggests a role in regulating K(+) uptake coordinately with membrane expansion for cell growth. ..
- Piñeiro M, Gómez Mena C, Schaffer R, Martínez Zapater J, Coupland G. EARLY BOLTING IN SHORT DAYS is related to chromatin remodeling factors and regulates flowering in Arabidopsis by repressing FT. Plant Cell. 2003;15:1552-62 pubmed
- Menges M, Hennig L, Gruissem W, Murray J. Cell cycle-regulated gene expression in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:41987-2002 pubmed..The range and number of cell cycle-regulated genes show the close integration of the plant cell cycle into a variety of cellular control and response pathways. ..
- Boudonck K, Dolan L, Shaw P. The movement of coiled bodies visualized in living plant cells by the green fluorescent protein. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2297-307 pubmed..Deletion analysis of the U2B" gene construct has shown that the first RNP-80 motif is sufficient for localization to the coiled body. ..
- Boxall S, Foster J, Bohnert H, Cushman J, Nimmo H, Hartwell J. Conservation and divergence of circadian clock operation in a stress-inducible Crassulacean acid metabolism species reveals clock compensation against stress. Plant Physiol. 2005;137:969-82 pubmed..Importantly, the clock in M. crystallinum is very similar to that in Arabidopsis, indicating that such a clock could control CAM without requiring additional components of the central oscillator or a novel CAM oscillator. ..
- Hammond J, Bennett M, Bowen H, Broadley M, Eastwood D, May S, et al. Changes in gene expression in Arabidopsis shoots during phosphate starvation and the potential for developing smart plants. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:578-96 pubmed..Transferring this technology to crops would allow precision management of P fertilization, thereby maintaining yields while reducing costs, conserving natural resources, and preventing pollution. ..
- Jaeger K, Wigge P. FT protein acts as a long-range signal in Arabidopsis. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1050-4 pubmed..To our knowledge, FT is the only known protein that serves as a long-range developmental signal in plants. ..
- O Hara P, Slabas A, Fawcett T. Fatty acid and lipid biosynthetic genes are expressed at constant molar ratios but different absolute levels during embryogenesis. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:310-20 pubmed..Girke, J. Todd, S. Ruuska, J. White, C. Benning, J. Ohlrogge  Plant Physiol 124: 1570-1581) where similar leaf to seed levels of fatty acid synthase component mRNAs were reported. ..
- Pastori G, Kiddle G, Antoniw J, Bernard S, Veljovic Jovanovic S, Verrier P, et al. Leaf vitamin C contents modulate plant defense transcripts and regulate genes that control development through hormone signaling. Plant Cell. 2003;15:939-51 pubmed..Hence, through modifying gene expression, vitamin C contents not only act to regulate defense and survival but also act via phytohormones to modulate plant growth under optimal conditions. ..
- Penfield S, Li Y, Gilday A, Graham S, Graham I. Arabidopsis ABA INSENSITIVE4 regulates lipid mobilization in the embryo and reveals repression of seed germination by the endosperm. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1887-99 pubmed..We conclude that the single cell endosperm layer plays an active role in the regulation of seed germination in Arabidopsis. ..
- van den Burg H, Tsitsigiannis D, Rowland O, Lo J, Rallapalli G, Maclean D, et al. The F-box protein ACRE189/ACIF1 regulates cell death and defense responses activated during pathogen recognition in tobacco and tomato. Plant Cell. 2008;20:697-719 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings support a role of ACIF1/VFBs in plant defense responses. ..
- Desikan R, Hancock J, Bright J, Harrison J, Weir I, Hooley R, et al. A role for ETR1 in hydrogen peroxide signaling in stomatal guard cells. Plant Physiol. 2005;137:831-4 pubmed
- Fisher K, Turner S. PXY, a receptor-like kinase essential for maintaining polarity during plant vascular-tissue development. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1061-6 pubmed..The PXY gene encodes for a receptor-like kinase (RLK) that defines a novel role for RLKs in the meristem where it functions to maintain the cell polarity required for the orientation of cell division during vascular development. ..
- Orsel M, Chopin F, Leleu O, Smith S, Krapp A, Daniel Vedele F, et al. Characterization of a two-component high-affinity nitrate uptake system in Arabidopsis. Physiology and protein-protein interaction. Plant Physiol. 2006;142:1304-17 pubmed..1-1, can restore HATS to the atnar2.1-1 mutant. These plants did not recover wild-type nitrate HATS. Taken together, these results show that AtNAR2.1 is essential for HATS of nitrate in Arabidopsis. ..
- Spencer M, Casson S, Lindsey K. Transcriptional profiling of the Arabidopsis embryo. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:924-40 pubmed..We show how identified genes can be used to generate cell type-specific markers and promoter activities for future application in cell biology. ..
- Griffiths J, Murase K, Rieu I, Zentella R, Zhang Z, Powers S, et al. Genetic characterization and functional analysis of the GID1 gibberellin receptors in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2006;18:3399-414 pubmed..Furthermore, yeast three-hybrid assays showed that the GA-GID1 complex promotes the interaction between RGA and the F-box protein SLY1, a component of the SCF(SLY1) E3 ubiquitin ligase that targets the DELLA protein for degradation. ..
- Navarro L, Zipfel C, Rowland O, Keller I, Robatzek S, Boller T, et al. The transcriptional innate immune response to flg22. Interplay and overlap with Avr gene-dependent defense responses and bacterial pathogenesis. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:1113-28 pubmed publisher..We also compared FLARE gene sets and genes induced in basal or gene-for-gene interactions upon different Pseudomonas syringae treatments, and infer that Pseudomonas syringae pv tomato represses the flagellin-initiated defense response...
- Ding Y, Kalo P, Yendrek C, Sun J, Liang Y, Marsh J, et al. Abscisic acid coordinates nod factor and cytokinin signaling during the regulation of nodulation in Medicago truncatula. Plant Cell. 2008;20:2681-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, ABA is capable of coordinately regulating the diverse developmental pathways associated with nodule formation and can intimately dictate the nature of the plants' response to the symbiotic bacteria. ..
- Hampton C, Bowen H, Broadley M, Hammond J, Mead A, Payne K, et al. Cesium toxicity in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:3824-37 pubmed..This is consistent with Cs intoxication resulting from competition between K+ and Cs+ for K(+)-binding sites on essential proteins...
- Lopez I, Anthony R, Maciver S, Jiang C, Khan S, Weeds A, et al. Pollen specific expression of maize genes encoding actin depolymerizing factor-like proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:7415-20 pubmed..These biochemical characteristics, taken together with the sequence comparisons, support the inclusion of the ZmABP proteins in the ADF group. ..
- Fu X, Sudhakar D, Peng J, Richards D, Christou P, Harberd N. Expression of Arabidopsis GAI in transgenic rice represses multiple gibberellin responses. Plant Cell. 2001;13:1791-802 pubmed..The GA derepressible repressor model predicts that high-level expression of GAI should confer dwarfism, and these observations are consistent with this prediction. ..
- Casson S, Chilley P, Topping J, Evans I, Souter M, Lindsey K. The POLARIS gene of Arabidopsis encodes a predicted peptide required for correct root growth and leaf vascular patterning. Plant Cell. 2002;14:1705-21 pubmed..We propose that PLS is required for correct auxin-cytokinin homeostasis to modulate root growth and leaf vascular patterning. ..
- Reid J, Edwards M, Dickson C, Scott C, Gidley M. Tobacco transgenic lines that express fenugreek galactomannan galactosyltransferase constitutively have structurally altered galactomannans in their seed endosperm cell walls. Plant Physiol. 2003;131:1487-95 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first report of structural manipulation of a plant cell wall polysaccharide in transgenic plants via a biosynthetic membrane-bound glycosyltransferase...
- Wright K, Roberts A, Martens H, Sauer N, Oparka K. Structural and functional vein maturation in developing tobacco leaves in relation to AtSUC2 promoter activity. Plant Physiol. 2003;131:1555-65 pubmed..The activation of the AtSUC2 promoter within major veins appears to be regulated differently from that in the minor veins. The relationship between AtSUC2 activation and the activity of endogenous tobacco Suc transporters is discussed. ..
- Honys D, Twell D. Comparative analysis of the Arabidopsis pollen transcriptome. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:640-52 pubmed..Moreover, we also detail the extensive overlap (61%) of the pollen transcriptome with that of the sporophyte, which provides ample potential to influence sporophytic fitness through gametophytic selection. ..
- Murtas G, Reeves P, Fu Y, Bancroft I, Dean C, Coupland G. A nuclear protease required for flowering-time regulation in Arabidopsis reduces the abundance of SMALL UBIQUITIN-RELATED MODIFIER conjugates. Plant Cell. 2003;15:2308-19 pubmed..ESD4 defines an important role for protein modification by AtSUMO in the regulation of flowering. ..
- Field B, Cardon G, Traka M, Botterman J, Vancanneyt G, Mithen R. Glucosinolate and amino acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:828-39 pubmed..A MAML-4 KO did not exhibit any changes in GSL profile, but had perturbed soluble amino acid content. ..
- Manzano D, Marquardt S, Jones A, Bäurle I, Liu F, Dean C. Altered interactions within FY/AtCPSF complexes required for Arabidopsis FCA-mediated chromatin silencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:8772-7 pubmed publisher..These altered interactions would appear to be a necessary step in this RNA-mediated chromatin silencing. ..
- Maple J, Fujiwara M, Kitahata N, Lawson T, Baker N, Yoshida S, et al. GIANT CHLOROPLAST 1 is essential for correct plastid division in Arabidopsis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:776-81 pubmed
- Riou Khamlichi C, Menges M, Healy J, Murray J. Sugar control of the plant cell cycle: differential regulation of Arabidopsis D-type cyclin gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:4513-21 pubmed..Finally, protein phosphatases are shown to be involved in regulating CycD2 and CycD3 induction. We propose that control of CycD2 and CycD3 by sucrose forms part of cell cycle control in response to cellular carbohydrate status. ..
- Dewitte W, Scofield S, Alcasabas A, Maughan S, Menges M, Braun N, et al. Arabidopsis CYCD3 D-type cyclins link cell proliferation and endocycles and are rate-limiting for cytokinin responses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:14537-42 pubmed
- Tör M, Gordon P, Cuzick A, Eulgem T, Sinapidou E, Mert Türk F, et al. Arabidopsis SGT1b is required for defense signaling conferred by several downy mildew resistance genes. Plant Cell. 2002;14:993-1003 pubmed..We discuss the role of AtSGT1b in disease resistance and its possible involvement in ubiquitin-mediated proteolysis in plants. ..
- Allwood E, Anthony R, Smertenko A, Reichelt S, Drobak B, Doonan J, et al. Regulation of the pollen-specific actin-depolymerizing factor LlADF1. Plant Cell. 2002;14:2915-27 pubmed..Both pollen ADF and pollen AIP1 bind F-actin in pollen grains but are mainly cytoplasmic in pollen tubes. Our results suggest that together these proteins remodel actin filaments as pollen grains enter and exit dormancy. ..
- Dewitte W, Riou Khamlichi C, Scofield S, Healy J, Jacqmard A, Kilby N, et al. Altered cell cycle distribution, hyperplasia, and inhibited differentiation in Arabidopsis caused by the D-type cyclin CYCD3. Plant Cell. 2003;15:79-92 pubmed
- Pracharoenwattana I, Cornah J, Smith S. Arabidopsis peroxisomal citrate synthase is required for fatty acid respiration and seed germination. Plant Cell. 2005;17:2037-48 pubmed..We conclude that citrate is exported from the peroxisome during fatty acid respiration, whereas in yeast, acetylcarnitine is exported. ..
- Sohn K, Lei R, Nemri A, Jones J. The downy mildew effector proteins ATR1 and ATR13 promote disease susceptibility in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell. 2007;19:4077-90 pubmed publisher..parasitica isolate Emco5, ATR13Emco5 when delivered by Pst DC3000 triggered localized immunity, including HR, on Ws-0. We suggest that an additional H. parasitica Emco5 effector might suppress ATR13-triggered immunity. ..
- Schwach F, Vaistij F, Jones L, Baulcombe D. An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase prevents meristem invasion by potato virus X and is required for the activity but not the production of a systemic silencing signal. Plant Physiol. 2005;138:1842-52 pubmed..According to this idea, the secondary siRNAs mediate RNA silencing as an immediate response that slows down the systemic spreading of the virus into the growing point and newly emerging leaves...
- Gan Y, Kumimoto R, Liu C, Ratcliffe O, Yu H, Broun P. GLABROUS INFLORESCENCE STEMS modulates the regulation by gibberellins of epidermal differentiation and shoot maturation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1383-95 pubmed..The discovery of GIS reveals a novel mechanism in the control of shoot maturation, through which GAs regulate cellular differentiation in plants. ..
- Breuer C, Stacey N, West C, Zhao Y, Chory J, Tsukaya H, et al. BIN4, a novel component of the plant DNA topoisomerase VI complex, is required for endoreduplication in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:3655-68 pubmed
- Nemeth C, Freeman J, Jones H, Sparks C, Pellny T, Wilkinson M, et al. Down-regulation of the CSLF6 gene results in decreased (1,3;1,4)-beta-D-glucan in endosperm of wheat. Plant Physiol. 2010;152:1209-18 pubmed publisher..The results confirm that the CSLF6 gene of wheat encodes a beta-glucan synthase and indicate that transgenic manipulation can be used to enhance the health benefits of wheat products. ..
- Havecker E, Wallbridge L, Hardcastle T, Bush M, Kelly K, Dunn R, et al. The Arabidopsis RNA-directed DNA methylation argonautes functionally diverge based on their expression and interaction with target loci. Plant Cell. 2010;22:321-34 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the importance of tissue specificity and AGO-associated proteins in influencing epigenetic modifications. ..
- Knight H, Trewavas A, Knight M. Calcium signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana responding to drought and salinity. Plant J. 1997;12:1067-78 pubmed..Data obtained by using inhibitors of inositol signalling suggested that this release was occurring through IP3-dependent calcium channels. ..
- Tiwari S, Schulz R, Ikeda Y, Dytham L, Bravo J, Mathers L, et al. MATERNALLY EXPRESSED PAB C-TERMINAL, a novel imprinted gene in Arabidopsis, encodes the conserved C-terminal domain of polyadenylate binding proteins. Plant Cell. 2008;20:2387-98 pubmed publisher..We conclude that other factors along with DME promote MPC expression and that DME has indirect effects on imprinted gene expression in endosperm. ..
- Beynon E, Symons Z, Jackson R, Lorenz A, Rylott E, Bruce N. The role of oxophytodienoate reductases in the detoxification of the explosive 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene by Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2009;151:253-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that, in concert with other detoxification mechanisms, OPRs play a physiological role in xenobiotic detoxification. ..
- Besser K, Harper A, Welsby N, Schauvinhold I, Slocombe S, Li Y, et al. Divergent regulation of terpenoid metabolism in the trichomes of wild and cultivated tomato species. Plant Physiol. 2009;149:499-514 pubmed publisher..However, highly trichome-expressed sesquiterpene cyclase-like enzymes were ruled out as being involved in the production of major LA1777 sesquiterpenes...
- Bédard J, Kubis S, Bimanadham S, Jarvis P. Functional similarity between the chloroplast translocon component, Tic40, and the human co-chaperone, Hsp70-interacting protein (Hip). J Biol Chem. 2007;282:21404-14 pubmed..Supporting this notion, yeast two-hybrid and bimolecular fluorescence complementation assays demonstrated the in vivo interaction of Tic40 with Tic110, a protein believed to recruit stromal chaperones to protein import sites. ..
- Allen T, Koustenis A, Theodorou G, Somers D, Kay S, Whitelam G, et al. Arabidopsis FHY3 specifically gates phytochrome signaling to the circadian clock. Plant Cell. 2006;18:2506-16 pubmed..FHY3 appears to be a novel gating factor, specifically in gating red light signaling to the clock during daytime. ..
- Hegarty M, Barker G, Wilson I, Abbott R, Edwards K, Hiscock S. Transcriptome shock after interspecific hybridization in senecio is ameliorated by genome duplication. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1652-9 pubmed..cambrensis and this altered expression pattern is maintained in subsequent generations. These findings indicate that hybridization and polyploidization have immediate yet distinct effects on large-scale patterns of gene expression...
- Gould P, Locke J, Larue C, Southern M, Davis S, Hanano S, et al. The molecular basis of temperature compensation in the Arabidopsis circadian clock. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1177-87 pubmed
- Lombi E, Tearall K, Howarth J, Zhao F, Hawkesford M, McGrath S. Influence of iron status on cadmium and zinc uptake by different ecotypes of the hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens. Plant Physiol. 2002;128:1359-67 pubmed..The present results indicate that the stimulatory effect of Fe deficiency on Cd uptake in Ganges may be related to an up-regulation in the expression of genes encoding for Fe(2+) uptake, possibly TcIRT1-G...
- Jasinski S, Piazza P, Craft J, Hay A, Woolley L, Rieu I, et al. KNOX action in Arabidopsis is mediated by coordinate regulation of cytokinin and gibberellin activities. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1560-5 pubmed..We propose that KNOX proteins may act as general orchestrators of growth-regulator homeostasis at the shoot apex of Arabidopsis by simultaneously activating CK and repressing GA biosynthesis, thus promoting meristem activity. ..
- Liang Y, Dubos C, Dodd I, Holroyd G, Hetherington A, Campbell M. AtMYB61, an R2R3-MYB transcription factor controlling stomatal aperture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1201-6 pubmed..Taken together, our data provide evidence that AtMYB61 encodes the first transcription factor implicated in the closure of stomata. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Wheatley K, Hanzawa Y, Wright L, Mizoguchi M, Song H, et al. LHY and CCA1 are partially redundant genes required to maintain circadian rhythms in Arabidopsis. Dev Cell. 2002;2:629-41 pubmed..We conclude that LHY and CCA1 appear to be negative regulatory elements required for central oscillator function. ..
- Rowland O, Ludwig A, Merrick C, Baillieul F, Tracy F, Durrant W, et al. Functional analysis of Avr9/Cf-9 rapidly elicited genes identifies a protein kinase, ACIK1, that is essential for full Cf-9-dependent disease resistance in tomato. Plant Cell. 2005;17:295-310 pubmed publisher..Moreover, VIGS of LeACIK1 in tomato decreased Cf-9-mediated resistance to C. fulvum, showing the importance of ACIK1 in disease resistance...
- Gutierrez Marcos J, Costa L, Biderre Petit C, Khbaya B, O Sullivan D, Wormald M, et al. maternally expressed gene1 Is a novel maize endosperm transfer cell-specific gene with a maternal parent-of-origin pattern of expression. Plant Cell. 2004;16:1288-301 pubmed
- Perry J, Brachmann A, Welham T, Binder A, Charpentier M, Groth M, et al. TILLING in Lotus japonicus identified large allelic series for symbiosis genes and revealed a bias in functionally defective ethyl methanesulfonate alleles toward glycine replacements. Plant Physiol. 2009;151:1281-91 pubmed publisher..Original mutant phenotypes can be accessed at http://data.jic.bbsrc.ac.uk/cgi-bin/lotusjaponicus Access to the Lotus TILLING facility can be obtained through http://www.lotusjaponicus.org or http://revgenuk.jic.ac.uk). ..
- Crawford B, Nath U, Carpenter R, Coen E. CINCINNATA controls both cell differentiation and growth in petal lobes and leaves of Antirrhinum. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:244-53 pubmed..However, while CIN promotes growth in petals, it promotes growth arrest in leaves, possibly because of different patterns of growth control in these systems...
- Taybi T, Nimmo H, Borland A. Expression of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase kinase genes. Implications for genotypic capacity and phenotypic plasticity in the expression of crassulacean acid metabolism. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:587-98 pubmed
- Hirsch S, Kim J, Muñoz A, Heckmann A, Downie J, Oldroyd G. GRAS proteins form a DNA binding complex to induce gene expression during nodulation signaling in Medicago truncatula. Plant Cell. 2009;21:545-57 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals direct binding of a GRAS protein complex to DNA and highlights the importance of the NSP1-NSP2 complex for efficient nodulation in the model legume Medicago truncatula...
- Buchner P, Stuiver C, Westerman S, Wirtz M, Hell R, Hawkesford M, et al. Regulation of sulfate uptake and expression of sulfate transporter genes in Brassica oleracea as affected by atmospheric H(2)S and pedospheric sulfate nutrition. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:3396-408 pubmed publisher..The significance of sulfate, thiols, and O-acetylserine as possible signal compounds in the regulation of the sulfate uptake and expression of the transporter genes is evaluated...
- Ichimura K, Casais C, Peck S, Shinozaki K, Shirasu K. MEKK1 is required for MPK4 activation and regulates tissue-specific and temperature-dependent cell death in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36969-76 pubmed
- Shindo C, Lister C, Crevillen P, Nordborg M, Dean C. Variation in the epigenetic silencing of FLC contributes to natural variation in Arabidopsis vernalization response. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3079-83 pubmed..This response was correlated with the rate of accumulation of FLC histone H3 Lys 27 trimethylation (H3K27me3). Thus, variation in epigenetic silencing of FLC appears to have contributed to Arabidopsis adaptation. ..
- Morris K, Thornber S, Codrai L, Richardson C, Craig A, Sadanandom A, et al. DAY NEUTRAL FLOWERING represses CONSTANS to prevent Arabidopsis flowering early in short days. Plant Cell. 2010;22:1118-28 pubmed publisher..The effect of DNF on the rhythm of CO expression is essential for the photoperiodic response of Arabidopsis, enabling it to have a different flowering response in LDs and SDs. ..
- Muskett P, Kahn K, Austin M, Moisan L, Sadanandom A, Shirasu K, et al. Arabidopsis RAR1 exerts rate-limiting control of R gene-mediated defenses against multiple pathogens. Plant Cell. 2002;14:979-92 pubmed..An absence of obvious developmental defects in null Arabidopsis rar1 mutants favors the notion that, in contrast, RAR1 does not play a fundamental role in plant development. ..
- Gatzek S, Wheeler G, Smirnoff N. Antisense suppression of l-galactose dehydrogenase in Arabidopsis thaliana provides evidence for its role in ascorbate synthesis and reveals light modulated l-galactose synthesis. Plant J. 2002;30:541-53 pubmed..As ascorbate is the major hydrogen peroxide-scavenging antioxidant in plants, this could indicate a compensatory mechanism for controlling hydrogen peroxide concentration. ..
- Li Y, Sorefan K, Hemmann G, Bevan M. Arabidopsis NAP and PIR regulate actin-based cell morphogenesis and multiple developmental processes. Plant Physiol. 2004;136:3616-27 pubmed..The multiple growth and developmental phenotypes of Atnap and Atpir mutants reveals these proteins are also required for a wider variety of cellular functions in addition to regulating trichome cell growth. ..
- G mez L, Vanacker H, Buchner P, Noctor G, Foyer C. Intercellular distribution of glutathione synthesis in maize leaves and its response to short-term chilling. Plant Physiol. 2004;134:1662-71 pubmed publisher..Return to optimal temperatures allowed glutathione to increase, particularly glutathione disulfide, and this was associated with leaf chlorosis...
- Partridge M, Murphy D. Roles of a membrane-bound caleosin and putative peroxygenase in biotic and abiotic stress responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2009;47:796-806 pubmed publisher..We propose that Clo-3 is part of an oxylipin pathway induced by multiple stresses and may also generate fatty acid derived anti-fungal compounds for plant defence. ..
- Hooks M, Turner J, Murphy E, Johnston K, Burr S, Jarosławski S. The Arabidopsis ALDP protein homologue COMATOSE is instrumental in peroxisomal acetate metabolism. Biochem J. 2007;406:399-406 pubmed..These results demonstrate a role for the ABC protein CTS in providing acetate to the glyoxylate cycle in developing seedlings...
- Ruban A, Solovieva S, Lee P, Ilioaia C, Wentworth M, Ganeteg U, et al. Plasticity in the composition of the light harvesting antenna of higher plants preserves structural integrity and biological function. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:14981-90 pubmed..These responses clearly show the importance of LHCIIb in the structure and assembly of the photosynthetic membrane and illustrate the extreme plasticity at the level of the composition of the light harvesting system. ..
- McWatters H, Kolmos E, Hall A, Doyle M, Amasino R, Gyula P, et al. ELF4 is required for oscillatory properties of the circadian clock. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:391-401 pubmed..ELF4, therefore, can be considered a component of the central CCA1/LHY-TOC1 feedback loop in the plant circadian clock. ..
- Li Y, Smith C, Corke F, Zheng L, Merali Z, Ryden P, et al. Signaling from an altered cell wall to the nucleus mediates sugar-responsive growth and development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2500-15 pubmed..These findings reveal a pathway that signals changes in the cell wall through PRL1 to altered gene expression and sugar-responsive metabolic, growth, and developmental changes. ..