Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on plant extracts in Germany
Topic: plant extracts
Publications231 found, 100 shown here
- Roell D, Baniahmad A. The natural compounds atraric acid and N-butylbenzene-sulfonamide as antagonists of the human androgen receptor and inhibitors of prostate cancer cell growth. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2011;332:1-8 pubmed publisher..africanum as two novel AR antagonistic compounds. The molecular mechanisms of AR inhibition were analyzed and are summarized here. Both compounds are the first known natural, complete and specific AR antagonist. ..
- Janssen I, Sturtz S, Skipka G, Zentner A, Velasco Garrido M, Garrido M, et al. Ginkgo biloba in Alzheimer's disease: a systematic review. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2010;160:539-46 pubmed publisher..A harm of Ginkgo is not evident. An estimation of the effect size was not possible for any outcome. Further evidence is needed which focuses especially on subgroups of AD patients. ..
- Topic B, Hasenöhrl R, Hacker R, Huston J. Enhanced conditioned inhibitory avoidance by a combined extract of Zingiber officinale and Ginkgo biloba. Phytother Res. 2002;16:312-5 pubmed
- Winterhoff H, Spengler B, Christoffel V, Butterweck V, Löhning A. Cimicifuga extract BNO 1055: reduction of hot flushes and hints on antidepressant activity. Maturitas. 2003;44 Suppl 1:S51-8 pubmed..These findings in pharmacological tests-a reduction of the frequency of hot flush equivalents and hints on antidepressant activity of Cimicifuga extracts-are in good agreement with the therapeutical responses in climacteric women...
- Thoma I, Loeffler C, Sinha A, Gupta M, Krischke M, Steffan B, et al. Cyclopentenone isoprostanes induced by reactive oxygen species trigger defense gene activation and phytoalexin accumulation in plants. Plant J. 2003;34:363-75 pubmed..We propose that phytoprostanes are components of an oxidant-injury-sensing, archaic signaling system that serves to induce several plant defense mechanisms. ..
- Günther M, Maus M, Wagner K, Schmidt P. Hydrophilic solutes in modified carbon dioxide extraction-prediction of the extractability using molecular dynamic simulation. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2005;25:321-9 pubmed
- Chrubasik C, Duke R, Chrubasik S. The evidence for clinical efficacy of rose hip and seed: a systematic review. Phytother Res. 2006;20:1-3 pubmed..Four trials were included in this review and two were identified as subgroup analyses. Moderate evidence exists for the use of a powder of the seeds and husks of a Rosa canina subspecies in patients suffering from osteoarthritis. ..
- Casetti F, Jung W, Wölfle U, Reuter J, Neumann K, Gilb B, et al. Topical application of solubilized Reseda luteola extract reduces ultraviolet B-induced inflammation in vivo. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2009;96:260-5 pubmed publisher..Due to excellent skin tolerance combined with potent anti-inflammatory properties s-RE bears potential especially for the prevention but also for the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions such as UV-induced erythema...
- Benedek B, Ziegler A, Ottersbach P. Absence of mutagenic effects of a particular Symphytum officinale L. liquid extract in the bacterial reverse mutation assay. Phytother Res. 2010;24:466-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the comfrey root fluid extract contained in Kytta-Salbe f and Kytta-Plasma f was not mutagenic in the bacterial reverse mutation assay...
- Teschke R, Glass X, Schulze J. Herbal hepatotoxicity by Greater Celandine (Chelidonium majus): causality assessment of 22 spontaneous reports. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2011;61:282-91 pubmed publisher..Toxicological studies are now warranted to elucidate the mechanism(s) of human GC hepatotoxicity that represents a European issue. ..
- Holubarsch C, Colucci W, Meinertz T, Gaus W, Tendera M. Survival and prognosis: investigation of Crataegus extract WS 1442 in congestive heart failure (SPICE)--rationale, study design and study protocol. Eur J Heart Fail. 2000;2:431-7 pubmed..The first patient was included in October 1998. The trial is expected to be completed at the end of 2002. ..
- van Dam N, Horn M, Mares M, Baldwin I. Ontogeny constrains systemic protease inhibitor response in Nicotiana attenuata. J Chem Ecol. 2001;27:547-68 pubmed..We concluded that plant ontogeny constrains both constitutive and inducible PI production in N. attenuata. ..
- Schulze Tanzil G, de S, Behnke B, Klingelhoefer S, Scheid A, Shakibaei M. Effects of the antirheumatic remedy hox alpha--a new stinging nettle leaf extract--on matrix metalloproteinases in human chondrocytes in vitro. Histol Histopathol. 2002;17:477-85 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the monosubstance 13-HOTrE is one of the more active antiinflammatory substances in Hox alpha and that Hox alpha may be a promising remedy for therapy of inflammatory joint diseases...
- Bodinet C, Freudenstein J. Influence of Cimicifuga racemosa on the proliferation of estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2002;76:1-10 pubmed..Such data that suggest a non-estrogenic, or estrogen-antagonistic effect of CR on human breast cancer cells lead to the conclusion that CR treatment may be a safe, natural remedy for menopausal symptoms in breast cancer. ..
- Antlsperger D, Dirsch V, Ferreira D, Su J, Kuo M, Vollmar A. Ajoene-induced cell death in human promyeloleukemic cells does not require JNK but is amplified by the inhibition of ERK. Oncogene. 2003;22:582-9 pubmed
- Ritte G, Steup M, Kossmann J, Lloyd J. Determination of the starch-phosphorylating enzyme activity in plant extracts. Planta. 2003;216:798-801 pubmed..To our knowledge this is the first time that a quantification of the starch-phosphorylating activity has been achieved in plant crude extracts. ..
- Bondarenko B, Walther C, Funk P, Schläfke S, Engelmann U. Long-term efficacy and safety of PRO 160/120 (a combination of sabal and urtica extract) in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). Phytomedicine. 2003;10 Suppl 4:53-5 pubmed
- Kieser M, Friede T. Simple procedures for blinded sample size adjustment that do not affect the type I error rate. Stat Med. 2003;22:3571-81 pubmed..This procedure maintains the significance level for any design situation and arbitrary blind sample size recalculation strategy. ..
- Dresbach T, Neeb A, Meyer G, Gundelfinger E, Brose N. Synaptic targeting of neuroligin is independent of neurexin and SAP90/PSD95 binding. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;27:227-35 pubmed
- Winkler K, Leneweit G, Schubert R. Characterization of membrane vesicles in plant extracts. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces. 2005;45:57-65 pubmed..Furthermore, the UV-vis absorbance and phospholipid concentration were analyzed. Phospholipid quantification was in agreement with photometrical data. Sizes determined by cryo-TEM and by light scattering showed consistent results...
- Kammerer B, Kahlich R, Biegert C, Gleiter C, Heide L. HPLC-MS/MS analysis of willow bark extracts contained in pharmaceutical preparations. Phytochem Anal. 2005;16:470-8 pubmed..The described method may be utilised for the characterisation of herbal medicines in order to ensure comparability of medication in further clinical trials. ..
- Rösch W, Liebregts T, Gundermann K, Vinson B, Holtmann G. Phytotherapy for functional dyspepsia: a review of the clinical evidence for the herbal preparation STW 5. Phytomedicine. 2006;13 Suppl 5:114-21 pubmed
- Sousa M, Ousingsawat J, Seitz R, Puntheeranurak S, Regalado A, Schmidt A, et al. An extract from the medicinal plant Phyllanthus acidus and its isolated compounds induce airway chloride secretion: A potential treatment for cystic fibrosis. Mol Pharmacol. 2007;71:366-76 pubmed..These combinatorial effects on epithelial transport may provide a novel complementary nutraceutical treatment for the CF lung disease...
- Schmidt A, Gershenzon J. Cloning and characterization of isoprenyl diphosphate synthases with farnesyl diphosphate and geranylgeranyl diphosphate synthase activity from Norway spruce (Picea abies) and their relation to induced oleoresin formation. Phytochemistry. 2007;68:2649-59 pubmed..Of the three genes, only PaIDS 5 displayed a significant increase in transcript level in response to methyl jasmonate spraying, suggesting its involvement in induced oleoresin biosynthesis. ..
- Juan M, Wenzel U, Daniel H, Planas J. Erythrodiol, a natural triterpenoid from olives, has antiproliferative and apoptotic activity in HT-29 human adenocarcinoma cells. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2008;52:595-9 pubmed publisher..2-, 4.8-, and 5.2-fold over that in control cells. We here demonstrate for the first time that, in colon adenocarcinoma cells, erythrodiol exerts antiproliferative and proapoptotic activity. ..
- Montonen J, Landberg R, Kamal Eldin A, Aman P, Knueppel S, Boeing H, et al. Reliability of fasting plasma alkylresorcinol concentrations measured 4 months apart. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2010;64:698-703 pubmed publisher..These findings should be taken into account when using AR as blood biomarkers for whole-grain intake in large-scale epidemiologic studies. ..
- Zimmermann B, Walch S, Tinzoh L, Stühlinger W, Lachenmeier D. Rapid UHPLC determination of polyphenols in aqueous infusions of Salvia officinalis L. (sage tea). J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011;879:2459-64 pubmed publisher..In general, considerable differences in polyphenolic composition between the brands were detected, leading to the demand for quality standardization and control, especially if these sage teas are to be used for therapeutic purposes...
- Herrmann F, Wink M. Synergistic interactions of saponins and monoterpenes in HeLa cells, Cos7 cells and in erythrocytes. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:1191-6 pubmed publisher..The synergistic effect of combinations of saponins with monoterpenes opens a complete new field of possible applications in medicine to overcome resistance in multidrug resistant microbial and human cell...
- Khan I, Aziz A, Bashir S, Raza M, Fatima G. Dermatological evaluation of counter irritant effect of methanol leaf extract of Rumexvesicarius Linn. in rabbits. J Pak Med Assoc. 2016;66:49-52 pubmed..To assess the counter-irritant and anti-inflammatory activity of Rumexvesicarius in dermatological use...
- Mulsow K, Enzlein T, Delebinski C, Jaeger S, Seifert G, Melzig M. Impact of Mistletoe Triterpene Acids on the Uptake of Mistletoe Lectin by Cultured Tumor Cells. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153825 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the uptake of ML by 143B-cells could only be measured after addition of triterpenes pointing to resistance to mistletoe lectin. ..
- Krieglstein C, Anthoni C, Rijcken E, Laukötter M, Spiegel H, Boden S, et al. Acetyl-11-keto-beta-boswellic acid, a constituent of a herbal medicine from Boswellia serrata resin, attenuates experimental ileitis. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2001;16:88-95 pubmed
- Berardini N, Carle R, Schieber A. Characterization of gallotannins and benzophenone derivatives from mango (Mangifera indica L. cv. 'Tommy Atkins') peels, pulp and kernels by high-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2004;18:2208-16 pubmed..4 mg/g dm in the peels (expressed as gallic acid), while only small amounts (0.2 mg/g dm) were found in the pulp. In contrast, mango kernels contained 15.5 mg/g dm and thus proved to be a rich source of gallotannins. ..
- Schütz K, Kammerer D, Carle R, Schieber A. Characterization of phenolic acids and flavonoids in dandelion (Taraxacum officinale WEB. ex WIGG.) root and herb by high-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2005;19:179-86 pubmed..The occurrence of di- and triglycosylated flavonoids in particular has not yet been described. This paper marks the first report on HPLC-DAD/ESI-MSn investigations of phenolic compounds in dandelion...
- Gorgus E, Lohr C, Raquet N, Guth S, Schrenk D. Limettin and furocoumarins in beverages containing citrus juices or extracts. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:93-8 pubmed publisher..e. in the range of 548 and 2237 microg/day for the average and high consumer, respectively. The coumarin derivative limettin was mainly found in lime products...
- Deters A, Zippel J, Hellenbrand N, Pappai D, Possemeyer C, Hensel A. Aqueous extracts and polysaccharides from Marshmallow roots (Althea officinalis L.): cellular internalisation and stimulation of cell physiology of human epithelial cells in vitro. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;127:62-9 pubmed publisher..No data are available if the extracts or the polysaccharides from these extract exert an active influence on mucosal or connective tissue cells, in order to initiated changes in cell physiology, useful for better tissue regeneration...
- Holtmeier W, Zeuzem S, Preiss J, Kruis W, Böhm S, Maaser C, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of Boswellia serrata in maintaining remission of Crohn's disease: good safety profile but lack of efficacy. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:573-82 pubmed publisher..The trial confirmed good tolerability of a new Boswellia serrata extract, Boswelan, in long-term treatment of CD. However, superiority versus placebo in maintenance therapy of remission could not be demonstrated. ..
- Agyare C, Lechtenberg M, Deters A, Petereit F, Hensel A. Ellagitannins from Phyllanthus muellerianus (Kuntze) Exell.: Geraniin and furosin stimulate cellular activity, differentiation and collagen synthesis of human skin keratinocytes and dermal fibroblasts. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:617-24 pubmed publisher..From these findings the traditional clinical use of such extracts for wound healing seems to be justified. ..
- Kuchta K, Ortwein J, Rauwald H. Leonurus japonicus, Leonurus cardiaca, Leonotis leonurus: a novel HPLC study on the occurrence and content of the pharmacologically active guanidino derivative leonurine. Pharmazie. 2012;67:973-9 pubmed..1%. Thus, the HPLC method described above could be used for quality control of leonurine contained in TCM/Kampo medicines and in pharmacopeial analytics for the differentiation of L. japonicus and L. cardiaca samples...
- Stein G, Pfuller U, Schietzel M, Bussing A. Intracellular expression of IL-4 and inhibition of IFN-gamma by extracts from European mistletoe is related to induction of apoptosis. Anticancer Res. 2000;20:2987-94 pubmed..Extracts from European mistletoe are used for adjuvant cancer treatment. Their influence on the intracellular expression of cytokines of the T-helper cells type-1 (Th1; IFN-gamma) or type-2 (Th2; IL-4) is still unknown...
- Butterweck V, Liefländer Wulf U, Winterhoff H, Nahrstedt A. Plasma levels of hypericin in presence of procyanidin B2 and hyperoside: a pharmacokinetic study in rats. Planta Med. 2003;69:189-92 pubmed..It can be speculated that, when administered together with these compounds, a significant accumulation of hypericin in rat plasma in the presence of both polyphenols might be responsible for the observed increased in vivo activity. ..
- Naser B, Lund B, Henneicke von Zepelin H, Kohler G, Lehmacher W, Scaglione F. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical dose-response trial of an extract of Baptisia, Echinacea and Thuja for the treatment of patients with common cold. Phytomedicine. 2005;12:715-22 pubmed..0175). No adverse events were reported. This study demonstrates the efficacy and safety of SB-TOX in the treatment of URIs, and that its efficacy is dose dependent. ..
- Enbergs H. Effects of the homeopathic preparation Engystol on interferon-gamma production by human T-lymphocytes. Immunol Invest. 2006;35:19-27 pubmed..All concentrations of Engystol increased the percentage of interferon-gamma producing lymphocytes significantly, from a mean of 20.9% +/- 10.5% to over 24%. There was no dose-dependence of the effect at the concentrations tested. ..
- Kästner U, Hallmen C, Wiese M, Leistner E, Drewke C. The human pyridoxal kinase, a plausible target for ginkgotoxin from Ginkgo biloba. FEBS J. 2007;274:1036-45 pubmed..Thus, the presence of ginkgotoxin leads to temporarily reduced pyridoxal phosphate formation in vitro and possibly also in vivo. Our observations are discussed in light of Ginkgo medications used as nootropics. ..
- Knödler M, Conrad J, Wenzig E, Bauer R, Lacorn M, Beifuss U, et al. Anti-inflammatory 5-(11'Z-heptadecenyl)- and 5-(8'Z,11'Z-heptadecadienyl)-resorcinols from mango (Mangifera indica L.) peels. Phytochemistry. 2008;69:988-93 pubmed
- Teschke R, Schwarzenboeck A, Hennermann K. Kava hepatotoxicity: a clinical survey and critical analysis of 26 suspected cases. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;20:1182-93 pubmed publisher..Kava taken as recommended is associated with rare hepatotoxicity, whereas overdose, prolonged treatment, and comedication may carry an increased risk. ..
- Schneider R, Welt K, Aust W, Löster H, Fitzl G. Cardiac ischemia and reperfusion in spontaneously diabetic rats with and without application of EGb 761: II. Interstitium and microvasculature. Histol Histopathol. 2009;24:587-98 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, EGb may act as a potent therapeutic adjuvant in diabetics with respect to ischemic myocardial injury, and may contribute to preventing late complications in diabetic cardiopathy. ..
- Tezval M, Sehmisch S, Seidlova Wuttke D, Rack T, Kolios L, Wuttke W, et al. Changes in the histomorphometric and biomechanical properties of the proximal femur of ovariectomized rat after treatment with the phytoestrogens genistein and equol. Planta Med. 2010;76:235-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, of the studied substances, EQ seems to be a possible alternative to hormone replacement therapy, but further studies are needed. ..
- Reichelt K, Hartmann B, Weber B, Ley J, Krammer G, Engel K. Identification of bisprenylated benzoic acid derivatives from yerba santa (Eriodictyon ssp.) using sensory-guided fractionation. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:1850-9 pubmed publisher..Erionic acid C (3) was not only able to increase the absolute bitterness but also to extinguish the bitter masking effect of homoeriodictyol in a caffeine solution...
- Petersen A, Becker W, Moll H, Blümke M, Schlaak M. Studies on the carbohydrate moieties of the timothy grass pollen allergen Phl p I. Electrophoresis. 1995;16:869-75 pubmed..Even though most of the IgE antibodies bind at the protein core, we detected one serum that recognized carbohydrate moieties on the Phl p I. ..
- Muller W, Singer A, Wonnemann M. Hyperforin--antidepressant activity by a novel mechanism of action. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2001;34 Suppl 1:S98-102 pubmed..This makes hyperforin the first member of a new class of compounds with a preclinical antidepressant profile due to a completely novel mechanism of action. ..
- Traidl Hoffmann C, Kasche A, Jakob T, Huger M, Plötz S, Feussner I, et al. Lipid mediators from pollen act as chemoattractants and activators of polymorphonuclear granulocytes. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109:831-8 pubmed..Pollen grains release mediators that recruit and activate PMNs in vitro. Similar mechanisms may be effective in vivo, suggesting that pollen-derived lipid mediators may act as adjuvants in the elicitation phase of allergic reactions. ..
- Edenharder R, Krieg H, Köttgen V, Platt K. Inhibition of clastogenicity of benzo[a]pyrene and of its trans-7,8-dihydrodiol in mice in vivo by fruits, vegetables, and flavonoids. Mutat Res. 2003;537:169-81 pubmed..Ten-fold higher concentrations, however, reversed the effects with a particular strong increase observed with isoquercitrin (+109%; quercetin: +16%). ..
- Dregus M, Engel K. Volatile constituents of uncooked rhubarb (Rheum rhabarbarum L.) stalks. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51:6530-6 pubmed..Thus, contributions of (Z)-3-hexenal and the unsaturated acids decrease, and (E)-2-hexenal/(E)-2-hexenol play major sensory roles. ..
- Wagner S, Suter A, Merfort I. Skin penetration studies of Arnica preparations and of their sesquiterpene lactones. Planta Med. 2004;70:897-903 pubmed
- Kaszkin M, Beck K, Koch E, Erdelmeier C, Kusch S, Pfeilschifter J, et al. Downregulation of iNOS expression in rat mesangial cells by special extracts of Harpagophytum procumbens derives from harpagoside-dependent and independent effects. Phytomedicine. 2004;11:585-95 pubmed..Together, these data show that special Harpagophytum extracts may represent potential antiinflammatory drugs in the treatment of glomerular inflammatory diseases...
- Verspohl E, Bauer K, Neddermann E. Antidiabetic effect of Cinnamomum cassia and Cinnamomum zeylanicum in vivo and in vitro. Phytother Res. 2005;19:203-6 pubmed..The elevation in plasma insulin was direct since a stimulatory in vitro effect of insulin release from INS-1 cells (an insulin secreting cell line) was observed. Thus the cassia extract has a direct antidiabetic potency...
- Poeckel D, Greiner C, Verhoff M, Rau O, Tausch L, Hörnig C, et al. Carnosic acid and carnosol potently inhibit human 5-lipoxygenase and suppress pro-inflammatory responses of stimulated human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. Biochem Pharmacol. 2008;76:91-7 pubmed publisher..4.21.37). Together, our findings provide a pharmacological basis for the anti-inflammatory properties reported for CS- and CA-containing extracts. ..
- Panigrahi K, Panigrahy M, Vervliet Scheebaum M, Lang D, Reski R, Johri M. Auxin-binding proteins without KDEL sequence in the moss Funaria hygrometrica. Plant Cell Rep. 2009;28:1747-58 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests the presence of putative ABPs in F. hygrometrica that share immunological epitopes with ABP1 and bind auxin but are different from the classical corn ABP1. ..
- Korte G, Dreiseitel A, Schreier P, Oehme A, Locher S, Geiger S, et al. Tea catechins' affinity for human cannabinoid receptors. Phytomedicine. 2010;17:19-22 pubmed publisher..It can be concluded that central nervous cannabinoid receptors may be targeted by selected tea catechins but signaling via peripheral type receptors is less likely to play a major role in vivo. ..
- Philipp A, Wissenbach D, Weber A, Zapp J, Maurer H. Phase I and II metabolites of speciogynine, a diastereomer of the main Kratom alkaloid mitragynine, identified in rat and human urine by liquid chromatography coupled to low- and high-resolution linear ion trap mass spectrometry. J Mass Spectrom. 2010;45:1344-57 pubmed publisher..In addition, some differences in MS(2) and/or MS(3) spectra of the corresponding diastereomers were observed. ..
- Appel K, Rose T, Fiebich B, Kammler T, Hoffmann C, Weiss G. Modulation of the ?-aminobutyric acid (GABA) system by Passiflora incarnata L. Phytother Res. 2011;25:838-43 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the first evidence was shown that numerous pharmacological effects of Passiflora incarnata are mediated via modulation of the GABA system including affinity to GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptors, and effects on GABA uptake. ..
- Hensel A, Maas M, Sendker J, Lechtenberg M, Petereit F, Deters A, et al. Eupatorium perfoliatum L.: phytochemistry, traditional use and current applications. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;138:641-51 pubmed publisher..In principle quality aspects of the herbal material have to be affirmed by establishing modern pharmacopoeial control methods to guarantee constant and reliable quality. ..
- Kuchta K, Volk R, Rauwald H. Stachydrine in Leonurus cardiaca, Leonurus japonicus, Leonotis leonurus: detection and quantification by instrumental HPTLC and 1H-qNMR analyses. Pharmazie. 2013;68:534-40 pubmed..japonicus and L. cardiaca fruits as well as Leonotis leonurus. Methodically, instrumental HPTLC may be a powerful tool for quality assurance for stachydrine containing plants and herbal drugs, especially for industrial routine protocols...
- Thöle C, Brandt S, Ahmed N, Hensel A. Acetylated Rhamnogalacturonans from Immature Fruits of Abelmoschus esculentus Inhibit the Adhesion of Helicobacter pylori to Human Gastric Cells by Interaction with Outer Membrane Proteins. Molecules. 2015;20:16770-87 pubmed publisher..Deacetylation of HBSS and FE90% resulted in loss of the antiadhesive activity, indicating esterification being a prerequisite for antiadhesive activity. ..
- Stein G, Edlund U, Pfuller U, Bussing A, Schietzel M. Influence of polysaccharides from Viscum album L. on human lymphocytes, monocytes and granulocytes in vitro. Anticancer Res. 1999;19:3907-14 pubmed..VAL-PS exert yet unknown stimulatory activities, especially on specific CD4+ T-cells which may be influenced by other extract components like the ML. These components may contribute to the anti-tumour effect of VAL. ..
- Schmid B, Ludtke R, Selbmann H, Kotter I, Tschirdewahn B, Schaffner W, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of a standardized willow bark extract in patients with osteoarthritis: randomized placebo-controlled, double blind clinical trial. Phytother Res. 2001;15:344-50 pubmed..0002; investigators' assessment, p = 0.0073). It is concluded that the willow bark extract showed a moderate analgesic effect in osteoarthritis and appeared to be well tolerated. ..
- Freudenstein J, Dasenbrock C, Nisslein T. Lack of promotion of estrogen-dependent mammary gland tumors in vivo by an isopropanolic Cimicifuga racemosa extract. Cancer Res. 2002;62:3448-52 pubmed
- Merfort I. [Arnica: new insights on the molecular mode of action of a traditional medicinal plant]. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2003;10 Suppl 1:45-8 pubmed..First clinical studies show that they can support the treatment of rheumatic diseases. The agreed use is important to avoid undesirable side effects. ..
- Sembries S, Dongowski G, Jacobasch G, Mehrländer K, Will F, Dietrich H. Effects of dietary fibre-rich juice colloids from apple pomace extraction juices on intestinal fermentation products and microbiota in rats. Br J Nutr. 2003;90:607-15 pubmed..Results may be helpful for the development of such innovative juice products that are rich in DF of fruit origin...
- Schulte Löbbert S, Holoubek G, Muller W, Schubert Zsilavecz M, Wurglics M. Comparison of the synaptosomal uptake inhibition of serotonin by St John's wort products. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2004;56:813-8 pubmed..St John's wort products having greater hyperforin content and potency on synaptosomal serotonin uptake inhibition are restricted to be sold only in pharmacies. ..
- Predel H, Giannetti B, Koll R, Bulitta M, Staiger C. Efficacy of a comfrey root extract ointment in comparison to a diclofenac gel in the treatment of ankle distortions: results of an observer-blind, randomized, multicenter study. Phytomedicine. 2005;12:707-14 pubmed..01-103.09h*N/cm2 and was completely above the margin of non-inferiority. Moreover, the results of the primary and secondary variables indicate that Comfrey extract may be superior to Diclofenac gel...
- Welt K, Weiss J, Martin R, Hermsdorf T, Drews S, Fitzl G. Ginkgo biloba extract protects rat kidney from diabetic and hypoxic damage. Phytomedicine. 2007;14:196-203 pubmed..EGb reduced the relative total SOD activity from 163% in diabetic kidney to 46%. Additional hypoxia-induced ultrastructural damage was also diminished. ..
- Schleich S, Papaioannou M, Baniahmad A, Matusch R. Extracts from Pygeum africanum and other ethnobotanical species with antiandrogenic activity. Planta Med. 2006;72:807-13 pubmed..africanum harbour androgen antagonistic activity. This compound may provide a novel approach for the prevention and treatment of BPH and human PCa. ..
- Beil W, Kilian P. EPs 7630, an extract from Pelargonium sidoides roots inhibits adherence of Helicobacter pylori to gastric epithelial cells. Phytomedicine. 2007;14 Suppl 6:5-8 pubmed..EPs 7630 (50 and 100 microg/ml) reduced bacterial count attached to AGS cells by 77% and 91%, respectively. The results suggest that the mode of action of EPs 7630 is mainly related to its anti-adhesive activity...
- Kluth D, Banning A, Paur I, Blomhoff R, Brigelius Flohe R. Modulation of pregnane X receptor- and electrophile responsive element-mediated gene expression by dietary polyphenolic compounds. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:315-25 pubmed..It is concluded that individual polyphenols as well as polyphenol-rich plant extracts may affect phase 1 and 2 enzyme expression by distinct mechanisms that must be elucidated, before potential health effects can reliably be predicted. ..
- Wienkötter N, Begrow F, Kinzinger U, Schierstedt D, Verspohl E. The effect of thyme extract on beta2-receptors and mucociliary clearance. Planta Med. 2007;73:629-35 pubmed..4) Thyme extract has an indirect (modulatory) effect on the beta (2)-receptor system. 5) Mucociliary clearance is improved in vivo. Its mechanism has still to be elucidated. ..
- Seifert G, Jesse P, Laengler A, Reindl T, Lüth M, Lobitz S, et al. Molecular mechanisms of mistletoe plant extract-induced apoptosis in acute lymphoblastic leukemia in vivo and in vitro. Cancer Lett. 2008;264:218-28 pubmed publisher..Both MTs significantly improved survival (up to 55.4 days) at all tested concentrations in contrast to controls (34.6 days) without side effects...
- Bracher F, Randau K, Lerche H. Crototropone, a new tropone derivative from Croton zehntneri. Fitoterapia. 2008;79:236-7 pubmed publisher..Crototropone (3-hydroxy-5,6-dimethoxy-2-methylcyclohepta-2,4,6-trien-1-one) was isolated from roots of Croton zehntneri. The structure was established by spectroscopic methods. ..
- Bock C, Waldmann K, Ternes W. Mangiferin and hesperidin metabolites are absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract of pigs after oral ingestion of a Cyclopia genistoides (honeybush tea) extract. Nutr Res. 2008;28:879-91 pubmed publisher..This study will aid in investigating the physiological functions of the parent compounds in vivo. ..
- Zippel J, Deters A, Hensel A. Arabinogalactans from Mimosa tenuiflora (Willd.) Poiret bark as active principles for wound-healing properties: specific enhancement of dermal fibroblast activity and minor influence on HaCaT keratinocytes. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009;124:391-6 pubmed publisher..A significant in vitro stimulation of dermal fibroblast activity and proliferation by arabinogalactans from Mimosa tenuiflora provides a rational for the traditional use of the bark material for wound healing. ..
- Wink M. Medicinal plants: a source of anti-parasitic secondary metabolites. Molecules. 2012;17:12771-91 pubmed publisher..The identified plants and compounds offer a chance to develop new drugs against parasitic diseases. Most of them need to be tested in more detail, especially in animal models and if successful, in clinical trials. ..
- Zimmermann B, Patzke H, Schieber A. Separation of alk(en)ylresorcinols from rye bran with saturated, monoenoic, dienoic, trienoic and hydroxylated monoenoic side chains using an octyl phase in ultra-high performance liquid chromatography and their differentiation by tandem mass spectro. J Chromatogr A. 2017;1506:65-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, isolation and quantification using non-mass-selective detectors is now possible for each AR. Since rye bran has the most complex AR composition, this method is expected to facilitate the analysis of ARs also in other samples. ..
- Wurglics M, Westerhoff K, Kaunzinger A, Wilke A, Baumeister A, Dressman J, et al. Batch-to-batch reproducibility of St. John's wort preparations. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2001;34 Suppl 1:S152-6 pubmed
- Chrubasik S, Thanner J, Künzel O, Conradt C, Black A, Pollak S. Comparison of outcome measures during treatment with the proprietary Harpagophytum extract doloteffin in patients with pain in the lower back, knee or hip. Phytomedicine. 2002;9:181-94 pubmed..Between 50% and 70% of the patients benefitted from Doloteffin with few adverse effects. Thus, Doloteffin is well worth considering for osteoarthritic knee and hip pain and nonspecific low back pain...
- Seidlova Wuttke D, Hesse O, Jarry H, Rimoldi G, Thelen P, Christoffel V, et al. Belamcanda chinensis and the thereof purified tectorigenin have selective estrogen receptor modulator activities. Phytomedicine. 2004;11:392-403 pubmed..Therefore, tectorigenin may be in the future a clinically useful selective estrogen receptor modulator. ..
- Eckert G, Keller J, Jourdan C, Karas M, Volmer D, Schubert Zsilavecz M, et al. Hyperforin modifies neuronal membrane properties in vivo. Neurosci Lett. 2004;367:139-43 pubmed..Our data emphasises a membrane interaction of hyperforin that possibly contributes to its pharmacological effects. ..
- Belford E, Dörfler U, Stampfl A, Schroder P. Microsomal detoxification enzymes in yam bean [Pachyrhizus erosus (L.) urban]. Z Naturforsch C. 2004;59:693-700 pubmed..This study demonstrates for the first time microsomal detoxification activity in Pachyrhizus and the fluorescence image description of microsomal GST catalysed reaction in a legume...
- Hubbert M, Sievers H, Lehnfeld R, Kehrl W. Efficacy and tolerability of a spray with Salvia officinalis in the treatment of acute pharyngitis - a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with adaptive design and interim analysis. Eur J Med Res. 2006;11:20-6 pubmed
- Heinemann C, Schliemann Willers S, Oberthür C, Hamburger M, Elsner P. Prevention of experimentally induced irritant contact dermatitis by extracts of Isatis tinctoria compared to pure tryptanthrin and its impact on UVB-induced erythema. Planta Med. 2004;70:385-90 pubmed..When treatment was performed after completing the eliciting phase, accelerated resolution of the irritant reaction could not be observed. In the UVB erythema model anti-inflammatory effects of the test substances were not observed. ..