Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on phosphates in Switzerland
- Rouached H, Secco D, Arpat B, Poirier Y. The transcription factor PHR1 plays a key role in the regulation of sulfate shoot-to-root flux upon phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. BMC Plant Biol. 2011;11:19 pubmed publisher..PHR1 thus contributes to the homeostasis of both sulfate and phosphate in plants under phosphate deficiency. Such a function is also conserved in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii via the PHR1 ortholog PSR1. ..
- Gabutti L, Lucchini B, Marone C, Alberio L, Burnier M. Citrate- vs. acetate-based dialysate in bicarbonate haemodialysis: consequences on haemodynamics, coagulation, acid-base status, and electrolytes. BMC Nephrol. 2009;10:7 pubmed publisher..The positive impact on dialysis efficiency, acid-base status and haemodynamics, as well as the subjective tolerance, together indicate that citrate dialysate can significantly contribute to improving haemodialysis in selected patients. ..
- de Seigneux S, Martin P. Phosphate and FGF23 in the renoprotective benefit of RAAS inhibition. Pharmacol Res. 2016;106:87-91 pubmed publisher..In this article we review the evidence linking RAAS blockade to modulation of the FGF23/Klotho/phosphate axis and the beneficial effects of these regulations. ..
- Elabbadi A, Jeckelmann N, Haefliger O, Ouali L. Complexation/encapsulation of green tea polyphenols in mixed calcium carbonate and phosphate micro-particles. J Microencapsul. 2011;28:1-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, our experimental results showed that the process is selective and favours the encapsulation of gallated species which form stronger complexes with calcium cations. ..
- Stawarczyk B, Hartmann R, Hartmann L, Roos M, Ozcan M, Sailer I, et al. The effect of dentin desensitizer on shear bond strength of conventional and self-adhesive resin luting cements after aging. Oper Dent. 2011;36:492-501 pubmed publisher..8% and 89.2%, after water storage and thermocyling, respectively). Application of the Gluma Desensitizer to dentin before cementation had a positive effect on the SBS of self-adhesive cements. ..
- Lüthy H, Loeffel O, Hammerle C. Effect of thermocycling on bond strength of luting cements to zirconia ceramic. Dent Mater. 2006;22:195-200 pubmed..The four adhesive resin cements (Rely X Unicem, Superbond C&B, Panavia F, and Panavia 21) gave superior results. The strongest bond to zirconia was obtained with Panavia 21. ..
- Massonneau A, Langlade N, Leon S, Smutny J, Vogt E, Neumann G, et al. Metabolic changes associated with cluster root development in white lupin (Lupinus albus L.): relationship between organic acid excretion, sucrose metabolism and energy status. Planta. 2001;213:534-42 pubmed..However, ethanol production was not increased, indicating that pyruvate is shunted to citrate synthesis and not to ethanol production. ..
- Paszkowski U, Boller T. The growth defect of lrt1, a maize mutant lacking lateral roots, can be complemented by symbiotic fungi or high phosphate nutrition. Planta. 2002;214:584-90 pubmed..Supply of high phosphate (1 microM) ameliorated the growth of lrt1 plants too, but less efficiently than the symbiosis did. Hence, arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi as well as phosphate functionally complemented the lrt1 mutation. ..
- Breuillin F, Schramm J, Hajirezaei M, Ahkami A, Favre P, Druege U, et al. Phosphate systemically inhibits development of arbuscular mycorrhiza in Petunia hybrida and represses genes involved in mycorrhizal functioning. Plant J. 2010;64:1002-17 pubmed publisher..The role of these effects in the suppression of symbiosis under high P(i) conditions is discussed. ..
- Nagy R, Karandashov V, Chague V, Kalinkevich K, Tamasloukht M, Xu G, et al. The characterization of novel mycorrhiza-specific phosphate transporters from Lycopersicon esculentum and Solanum tuberosum uncovers functional redundancy in symbiotic phosphate transport in solanaceous species. Plant J. 2005;42:236-50 pubmed publisher..Knock out of LePT4 in the tomato cv. MicroTom indicated considerable redundancy between LePT4 and other Pi transporters in tomato...
- Küpfer P, Leumann C. The chemical stability of abasic RNA compared to abasic DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:58-68 pubmed..Thus abasic RNA is significantly more stable than abasic DNA. The higher stability of abasic RNA is discussed in the context of its potential biological role. ..
- Kohler K, Forster I, Stange G, Biber J, Murer H. Identification of functionally important sites in the first intracellular loop of the NaPi-IIa cotransporter. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002;282:F687-96 pubmed..We suggest that ICL-1 and ECL-3 sites contribute to the transport pathway and that site N199 is implicated in defining the transport mode. ..
- Gutknecht R, Beutler R, Garcia Alles L, Baumann U, Erni B. The dihydroxyacetone kinase of Escherichia coli utilizes a phosphoprotein instead of ATP as phosphoryl donor. EMBO J. 2001;20:2480-6 pubmed..DhaK and DhaL are not phosphorylated. The IIA domain of DhaM, instead of ATP, is the phosphoryl donor to dihydroxyacetone (Dha). Unlike the carbohydrate-specific transporters of the PTS, DhaK, DhaL and DhaM have no transport activity. ..
- Secco D, Baumann A, Poirier Y. Characterization of the rice PHO1 gene family reveals a key role for OsPHO1;2 in phosphate homeostasis and the evolution of a distinct clade in dicotyledons. Plant Physiol. 2010;152:1693-704 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, phylogenetic analysis of PHO1 homologs in monocotyledons and dicotyledons revealed the emergence of a distinct clade of PHO1 genes in dicotyledons, which include members having roles other than long-distance Pi transport. ..
- Daram P, Brunner S, Rausch C, Steiner C, Amrhein N, Bucher M. Pht2;1 encodes a low-affinity phosphate transporter from Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 1999;11:2153-66 pubmed..Pht2;1 thus differs from members of the recently described plant Pi transporter family in primary structure, affinity for Pi, and presumed function. ..
- Soldo B, Lazarevic V, Pagni M, Karamata D. Teichuronic acid operon of Bacillus subtilis 168. Mol Microbiol. 1999;31:795-805 pubmed
- Capuano P, Bacic D, Roos M, Gisler S, Stange G, Biber J, et al. Defective coupling of apical PTH receptors to phospholipase C prevents internalization of the Na+-phosphate cotransporter NaPi-IIa in Nherf1-deficient mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;292:C927-34 pubmed..These data suggest that NHERF1 in the proximal tubule is important for PTH-induced internalization of NaP(i)-IIa and, specifically, couples the apical PTHR to PLC. ..
- Oberholzer A, Schneider P, Baumann U, Erni B. Crystal structure of the nucleotide-binding subunit DhaL of the Escherichia coli dihydroxyacetone kinase. J Mol Biol. 2006;359:539-45 pubmed..The latter observation and biochemical data indicate that the domains of the C.freundii Dha kinase constitute one cooperative unit and are not randomly interacting and independent like the subunits of the E.coli enzyme. ..
- Demeule B, Lawrence M, Drake A, Gurny R, Arvinte T. Characterization of protein aggregation: the case of a therapeutic immunoglobulin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2007;1774:146-53 pubmed..The combination of microscopy, asymmetrical flow field-flow fractionation (FFF) and spectroscopy allowed a reliable assessment of protein self association and aggregation. ..
- Minnig K, Lazarevic V, Soldo B, Mauël C. Analysis of teichoic acid biosynthesis regulation reveals that the extracytoplasmic function sigma factor sigmaM is induced by phosphate depletion in Bacillus subtilis W23. Microbiology. 2005;151:3041-9 pubmed..These results provide further evidence for the role of sigma(M) in cell-wall stress response, and suggest that impairment of cell-wall structure is the signal activating this ECF sigma factor. ..
- Lundquist P, Murer H, Biber J. Type II Na+-Pi cotransporters in osteoblast mineral formation: regulation by inorganic phosphate. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2007;19:43-56 pubmed..Their expression thus seem regulated by phosphate in a manner consistent with their playing a role in transcellular P(i) flux during mineralization. ..
- Stefanovic A, Ribot C, Rouached H, Wang Y, Chong J, Belbahri L, et al. Members of the PHO1 gene family show limited functional redundancy in phosphate transfer to the shoot, and are regulated by phosphate deficiency via distinct pathways. Plant J. 2007;50:982-94 pubmed
- Karadjova I, Slaveykova V, Tsalev D. The biouptake and toxicity of arsenic species on the green microalga Chlorella salina in seawater. Aquat Toxicol. 2008;87:264-71 pubmed publisher..The implications of the results with respect to arsenic species bioavailability and toxicity in marine water are further discussed. ..
- Rouached H, Stefanovic A, Secco D, Bulak Arpat A, Gout E, Bligny R, et al. Uncoupling phosphate deficiency from its major effects on growth and transcriptome via PHO1 expression in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2011;65:557-70 pubmed publisher..These data also show that reduced shoot growth is not a direct consequence of Pi deficiency, but is more likely to be a result of extensive gene expression reprogramming triggered by Pi deficiency. ..
- Barraud P, Heale B, O Connell M, Allain F. Solution structure of the N-terminal dsRBD of Drosophila ADAR and interaction studies with RNA. Biochimie. 2012;94:1499-509 pubmed publisher..It also predicts that dADAR dsRBD1 would bind to dsRNA with less sequence specificity than dsRBDs of ADAR2. Altogether, this study gives new insights into dsRNA substrate recognition by Drosophila ADAR. ..
- Zimmerli C, Ribot C, Vavasseur A, Bauer H, Hedrich R, Poirier Y. PHO1 expression in guard cells mediates the stomatal response to abscisic acid in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2012;72:199-211 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal an important role for phosphate and the action of PHO1 in the stomatal response to ABA. ..
- Bachmann H, Autzen S, Frey U, Wehr U, Rambeck W, McCormack H, et al. The efficacy of a standardised product from dried leaves of Solanum glaucophyllum as source of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol for poultry. Br Poult Sci. 2013;54:642-52 pubmed publisher..8. It is concluded that the inclusion of the dried SG product as a source of vitamin D3 in broiler diets at a dietary concentration of 1 g/kg, providing 10 ?g 1,25(OH)2D3/kg, is safe and efficacious...
- Krapf R, Jaeger P, Hulter H. Chronic respiratory alkalosis induces renal PTH-resistance, hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemia in humans. Kidney Int. 1992;42:727-34 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Werner A, Moore M, Mantei N, Biber J, Semenza G, Murer H. Cloning and expression of cDNA for a Na/Pi cotransport system of kidney cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:9608-12 pubmed..We conclude that we have cloned a cDNA for a Na/Pi cotransport system present in rabbit kidney cortex. ..
- Fankhauser H, Zurlinden A, Schweingruber A, Edenharter E, Schweingruber M. Schizosaccharomyces pombe thiamine pyrophosphokinase is encoded by gene tnr3 and is a regulator of thiamine metabolism, phosphate metabolism, mating, and growth. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28457-62 pubmed..Disruption of the tnr3 gene is lethal, and a tnr3 mutant expressing only residual TPK activity grows slowly and shows aberrant morphology. ..
- Ludin K, Hilti N, Schweingruber M. Schizosaccharomyces pombe rds1, an adenine-repressible gene regulated by glucose, ammonium, phosphate, carbon dioxide and temperature. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;248:439-45 pubmed..We speculate that expression of the rds1 gene is regulated by one or several components of the adenine nucleotide pool and that its gene product has a function in stress-related responses of the cell. ..
- Verri T, Markovich D, Perego C, Norbis F, Stange G, Sorribas V, et al. Cloning of a rabbit renal Na-Pi cotransporter, which is regulated by dietary phosphate. Am J Physiol. 1995;268:F626-33 pubmed..Thus rabbit proximal tubular BBMs contain two different Na-Pi cotransport systems: NaPi-1 (type I) and NaPi-6 (type II). Only the type II transport system seems to be under regulatory control in response to low-Pi dietary intake...
- Custer M, Spindler B, Verrey F, Murer H, Biber J. Identification of a new gene product (diphor-1) regulated by dietary phosphate. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:F801-6 pubmed..Further characterizations of diphor-1 will show whether diphor-1 is primarily or secondarily involved in the response to dietary Pi. ..
- Drogen F, O Rourke S, Stucke V, Jaquenoud M, Neiman A, Peter M. Phosphorylation of the MEKK Ste11p by the PAK-like kinase Ste20p is required for MAP kinase signaling in vivo. Curr Biol. 2000;10:630-9 pubmed..This mechanism may serve as a paradigm for the activation of mammalian MEKKs. ..
- Soldo B, Lazarevic V, Pooley H, Karamata D. Characterization of a Bacillus subtilis thermosensitive teichoic acid-deficient mutant: gene mnaA (yvyH) encodes the UDP-N-acetylglucosamine 2-epimerase. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:4316-20 pubmed..At the nonpermissive temperature it is characterized by coccoid cell morphology and reduced cell wall phosphate content. MnaA converts UDP-N-acetylglucosamine into UDP-N-acetylmannosamine, a precursor of the teichoic acid linkage unit. ..
- Ehnes C, Forster I, Kohler K, Bacconi A, Stange G, Biber J, et al. Structure-function relations of the first and fourth predicted extracellular linkers of the type IIa Na+/Pi cotransporter: I. Cysteine scanning mutagenesis. J Gen Physiol. 2004;124:475-88 pubmed
- Lotscher M, Scarpetta Y, Levi M, Halaihel N, Wang H, Zajicek H, et al. Rapid downregulation of rat renal Na/P(i) cotransporter in response to parathyroid hormone involves microtubule rearrangement. J Clin Invest. 1999;104:483-94 pubmed
- Hennig M, Darimont B, Sterner R, Kirschner K, Jansonius J. 2.0 A structure of indole-3-glycerol phosphate synthase from the hyperthermophile Sulfolobus solfataricus: possible determinants of protein stability. Structure. 1995;3:1295-306 pubmed..These include a larger number of salt bridges, stabilization of alpha helices and strengthening of both polypeptide chain termini and solvent-exposed loops...
- Knöchel T, Hennig M, Merz A, Darimont B, Kirschner K, Jansonius J. The crystal structure of indole-3-glycerol phosphate synthase from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus solfataricus in three different crystal forms: effects of ionic strength. J Mol Biol. 1996;262:502-15 pubmed..The crystal packing, on the other hand, seems to be influenced by the ionic strength of the solvent, since the number of intermolecular salt bridges in the low ionic strength crystal forms is significantly higher. ..
- Arpat A, Magliano P, Wege S, Rouached H, Stefanovic A, Poirier Y. Functional expression of PHO1 to the Golgi and trans-Golgi network and its role in export of inorganic phosphate. Plant J. 2012;71:479-91 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, PHO1-mediated Pi export was associated with its localization to the Golgi and trans-Golgi networks, revealing a role for these organelles in Pi transport. ..
- Bucher M. Functional biology of plant phosphate uptake at root and mycorrhiza interfaces. New Phytol. 2007;173:11-26 pubmed..Whether engineering of P transport systems can contribute to enhanced P uptake will be discussed. ..
- Frei P, Gao B, Hagenbuch B, Mate A, Biber J, Murer H, et al. Identification and localization of sodium-phosphate cotransporters in hepatocytes and cholangiocytes of rat liver. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005;288:G771-8 pubmed..We conclude that NaPi-IIb is most probably involved in the reabsorption of P(i) from primary hepatic bile and thus might play an important role in the regulation of biliary P(i) concentration...
- Pfister M, Ruf I, Stange G, Ziegler U, Lederer E, Biber J, et al. Parathyroid hormone leads to the lysosomal degradation of the renal type II Na/Pi cotransporter. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:1909-14 pubmed
- Stauber A, Radanovic T, Stange G, Murer H, Wagner C, Biber J. Regulation of intestinal phosphate transport. II. Metabolic acidosis stimulates Na(+)-dependent phosphate absorption and expression of the Na(+)-P(i) cotransporter NaPi-IIb in small intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005;288:G501-6 pubmed
- Thoma R, Schwander M, Liebl W, Kirschner K, Sterner R. A histidine gene cluster of the hyperthermophile Thermotoga maritima: sequence analysis and evolutionary significance. Extremophiles. 1998;2:379-89 pubmed
- Ehnes C, Forster I, Bacconi A, Kohler K, Biber J, Murer H. Structure-function relations of the first and fourth extracellular linkers of the type IIa Na+/Pi cotransporter: II. Substrate interaction and voltage dependency of two functionally important sites. J Gen Physiol. 2004;124:489-503 pubmed..The simulations predict that cys substitution at Gly-134 or cys modification of Cys-533 alters the preferred orientation of the empty carrier from an inward to outward-facing conformation for hyperpolarizing voltages. ..
- Zoidis E, Gosteli Peter M, Ghirlanda Keller C, Meinel L, Zapf J, Schmid C. IGF-I and GH stimulate Phex mRNA expression in lungs and bones and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) production in hypophysectomized rats. Eur J Endocrinol. 2002;146:97-105 pubmed..Our findings suggest a coordinate regulation of Phex mRNA expression in lungs and bone and vitamin D metabolism during GH- and IGF-I-stimulated growth. ..
- Biber J, Hernando N, Forster I, Murer H. Regulation of phosphate transport in proximal tubules. Pflugers Arch. 2009;458:39-52 pubmed publisher..The regulatory mechanisms involve various signaling pathways and a number of proteins that interact with Na(+)/P(i) cotransporters. ..
- Braun U, Bryce B, Liesegang A, Hassig M, Bleul U. [Efficacy of oral calcium and/or sodium phosphate in the prevention of parturient paresis in cows]. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2008;150:331-8 pubmed..Further investigation into multiple administrations of oral calcium chloride and sodium phosphate, started before parturition, for the prevention of parturient paresis is required...
- Locher K, Bass R, Rees D. Structural biology. Breaching the barrier. Science. 2003;301:603-4 pubmed
- Sauer U, Canonaco F, Heri S, Perrenoud A, Fischer E. The soluble and membrane-bound transhydrogenases UdhA and PntAB have divergent functions in NADPH metabolism of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:6613-9 pubmed..metabolism with an extraordinary flexibility to cope with varying catabolic and anabolic demands, which raises two general questions: why do only a few bacteria contain both isoforms, and how do other organisms manage NADPH metabolism? ..
- Werner T, Amrhein N, Freimoser F. Novel method for the quantification of inorganic polyphosphate (iPoP) in Saccharomyces cerevisiae shows dependence of iPoP content on the growth phase. Arch Microbiol. 2005;184:129-36 pubmed..These experimental procedures will be essential for the large-scale analysis of various mutant strains or the comparison of different growth conditions...
- Wang Y, Secco D, Poirier Y. Characterization of the PHO1 gene family and the responses to phosphate deficiency of Physcomitrella patens. Plant Physiol. 2008;146:646-56 pubmed publisher..patens and higher plants share some common strategies to adapt to Pi deficiency, although morphological changes are distinct, and that the PHO1 proteins are well conserved in bryophyte despite the lack of a developed vascular system...
- Radanovic T, Wagner C, Murer H, Biber J. Regulation of intestinal phosphate transport. I. Segmental expression and adaptation to low-P(i) diet of the type IIb Na(+)-P(i) cotransporter in mouse small intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005;288:G496-500 pubmed..Furthermore, we conclude that along the entire mouse small intestine, low-phosphate diet affects transcription and/or the stability of NaPi-IIb mRNA. ..
- Norbis F, Boll M, Stange G, Markovich D, Verrey F, Biber J, et al. Identification of a cDNA/protein leading to an increased Pi-uptake in Xenopus laevis oocytes. J Membr Biol. 1997;156:19-24 pubmed..In conclusion, we have cloned from a rabbit small intestinal cDNA library a novel cDNA encoding a protein stimulating P(i)-uptake into Xenopus laevis oocytes, but which is not a P(i)-transporter itself. ..
- Stefanovic A, Arpat A, Bligny R, Gout E, Vidoudez C, Bensimon M, et al. Over-expression of PHO1 in Arabidopsis leaves reveals its role in mediating phosphate efflux. Plant J. 2011;66:689-99 pubmed publisher..Together, these results show that PHO1 over-expression in leaves leads to a dramatic efflux of Pi out of cells and into the xylem vessel, revealing a crucial role for PHO1 in Pi efflux. ..
- Hilfiker H, Hattenhauer O, Traebert M, Forster I, Murer H, Biber J. Characterization of a murine type II sodium-phosphate cotransporter expressed in mammalian small intestine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14564-9 pubmed..Expression of the type IIb protein in the brush borders of enterocytes and transport characteristics suggest that the described type IIb Na/Pi-cotransporter represents a candidate for small intestinal apical Na/Pi-cotransport. ..
- Hamburger D, Rezzonico E, MacDonald Comber Petétot J, Somerville C, Poirier Y. Identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis PHO1 gene involved in phosphate loading to the xylem. Plant Cell. 2002;14:889-902 pubmed..The Arabidopsis genome contains 10 additional genes showing homology with PHO1. Thus, PHO1 defines a novel class of proteins involved in ion transport in plants. ..