Experts and Doctors on personality assessment in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: personality assessment
- Kim J, Reid C, McMahon B, Gonzalez R, Lee D, Keck P. Measuring the Virtues and Character Traits of Rehabilitation Clients: The Adapted Inventory of Virtues and Strengths. J Occup Rehabil. 2016;26:32-44 pubmed publisher..77 to .84. The AIVS is a reliable measure when used with the studied sample; implications for studying virtue and character strengths in rehabilitation, as well as potential for clinical use of the AIVS, are addressed. ..
- Storch E, Merlo L, Lack C, Milsom V, Geffken G, Goodman W, et al. Quality of life in youth with Tourette's syndrome and chronic tic disorder. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2007;36:217-27 pubmed
- Kertes D, Donzella B, Talge N, Garvin M, Van Ryzin M, Gunnar M. Inhibited temperament and parent emotional availability differentially predict young children's cortisol responses to novel social and nonsocial events. Dev Psychobiol. 2009;51:521-32 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with evidence that sensitive, supportive parenting is an important buffer of the HPA axis response to threat in infants and toddlers, and extends this finding to the preschool period. ..
- Van Meter A, Youngstrom E, Youngstrom J, Feeny N, Findling R. Examining the validity of cyclothymic disorder in a youth sample. J Affect Disord. 2011;132:55-63 pubmed publisher..Failing to accurately diagnose cyclothymia, and other subthreshold forms of bipolar disorder, contributes to a significant delay in appropriate treatment and may have serious prognostic implications. ..
- Lowe J, Edmundson M, Widiger T. Assessment of dependency, agreeableness, and their relationship. Psychol Assess. 2009;21:543-53 pubmed publisher..The theoretical implications of the findings and suggestions for future research are discussed. ..
- Adams S, Matthews C, Ebbeling C, Moore C, Cunningham J, Fulton J, et al. The effect of social desirability and social approval on self-reports of physical activity. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;161:389-98 pubmed..30, 0.005). Body size was not associated with reporting bias in this study. The authors conclude that social desirability and social approval may influence self-reported physical activity on some survey instruments. ..
- Diener M, Hilsenroth M. Multimethod Validity Assessment of the SWAP-200 Dysphoric Q-Factor. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2004;192:479-86 pubmed..The patient self-report measures, however, did not correlate significantly with the Dysphoric Q-Factor, although several correlations demonstrated trends toward statistical significance. ..
- Sellbom M, Ben Porath Y, Stafford K. A comparison of MMPI--2 measures of psychopathic deviance in a forensic setting. Psychol Assess. 2007;19:430-6 pubmed..RC4 also showed substantially improved discriminant validity when compared with its Clinical Scale counterpart. Among all the MMPI-2 scales studied, RC4 was the best measure of the social deviance traits of psychopathy. ..
- Thomasgard M, Metz W. Parental overprotection and its relation to perceived child vulnerability. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1997;67:330-5 pubmed..One-third of parents who considered their child vulnerable were also considered overprotective. ..
- Lanktree C, Gilbert A, Briere J, Taylor N, Chen K, Maida C, et al. Multi-informant assessment of maltreated children: convergent and discriminant validity of the TSCC and TSCYC. Child Abuse Negl. 2008;32:621-5 pubmed publisher..e., in children 8-12 years of age) may yield more clinical information on the child's symptomatology than either measure would alone-perhaps especially in cases when one of the two respondents under- or over-reports the child's distress. ..
- Cole C, Zapp D, Katherine Nelson S, Perez Edgar K. Speech presentation cues moderate frontal EEG asymmetry in socially withdrawn young adults. Brain Cogn. 2012;78:156-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that contextual affective cues may prime an individual's response to stress, particularly if they illustrate or substantiate an anticipated negative event. ..
- Belter R, McIntosh J, Finch A, Williams L, Edwards G. The Bender-Gestalt as a method of personality assessment with adolescents. J Clin Psychol. 1989;45:414-23 pubmed..The results supported limited use of Koppitz's (1975) Emotional Indicators as a "sign" approach to brief screening for emotional disturbance in adolescents. ..
- Harris M, Freeman K, Beers M. Family therapy for adolescents with poorly controlled diabetes: initial test of clinical significance. J Pediatr Psychol. 2009;34:1097-107 pubmed publisher..The test of clinical significance represents an example of a method useful for pediatric research. ..
- Gratz K, Rosenthal M, Tull M, Lejuez C, Gunderson J. An experimental investigation of emotional reactivity and delayed emotional recovery in borderline personality disorder: the role of shame. Compr Psychiatry. 2010;51:275-85 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest the importance of continuing to examine emotional reactivity in BPD within specific contexts and across distinct emotions, rather than at the general trait level. ..
- Bellini S, Peters J. Social skills training for youth with autism spectrum disorders. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2008;17:857-73, x pubmed publisher..Social skills assessment is a crucial first step to SST, and a number of assessment measures are described. Meta-analytic reviews of the research provide further recommendations for successful SST programs. ..
- Simms L, Goldberg L, Roberts J, Watson D, Welte J, Rotterman J. Computerized adaptive assessment of personality disorder: introducing the CAT-PD project. J Pers Assess. 2011;93:380-9 pubmed publisher..The resultant Computerized Adaptive Test of Personality Disorder (CAT-PD) will be well positioned as a measure of the proposed DSM-5 PD traits. Implications for both applied and basic personality research are discussed. ..
- ..This article will define emotional maltreatment, discuss consequences of emotional maltreatment, and provide implications for pediatric nurse practitioner practice. ..
- Weintraub M, Van de Loo M, Gitlin M, Miklowitz D. Self-Harm, Affective Traits, and Psychosocial Functioning in Adults With Depressive and Bipolar Disorders. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2017;205:896-899 pubmed publisher..Findings indicate that self-harm is a potent prognostic variable for symptoms, global functioning, and personality functioning in individuals with mood disorders...
- Waldron M, Martin N, Heath A. Parental alcoholism and offspring behavior problems: findings in Australian children of twins. Twin Res Hum Genet. 2009;12:433-40 pubmed publisher..Results for internalizing behavior were inconclusive with respect to transmission of risk. ..
- Smith S, Hilsenroth M, Bornstein R. Convergent validity of the SWAP-200 dependency scales. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2009;197:613-8 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of these findings with regard to theoretical, empirical, and clinical aspects of interpersonal dependency. ..
- Martin L, Friedman H, Schwartz J. Personality and mortality risk across the life span: the importance of conscientiousness as a biopsychosocial attribute. Health Psychol. 2007;26:428-36 pubmed..The findings demonstrate the utility and complexity of modern personality concepts in understanding health and point to conscientiousness as a key underexplored area for future biopsychosocial studies. ..
- Otto M, Henin A, Hirshfeld Becker D, Pollack M, Biederman J, Rosenbaum J. Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms following media exposure to tragic events: impact of 9/11 on children at risk for anxiety disorders. J Anxiety Disord. 2007;21:888-902 pubmed..Given the links between PTSD symptoms and viewing habits, parental monitoring of media exposure may be important for younger children. ..
- Cutting L, Aakre J, Docherty N. Schizophrenic patients' perceptions of stress, expressed emotion, and sensitivity to criticism. Schizophr Bull. 2006;32:743-50 pubmed..Patients reported feeling more stressed when interacting with high-EE influential others, supporting an "EE as stressor" hypothesis. Finally, patients' STC influenced the level of stress they reported. ..
- Mast B. Impact of cognitive impairment on the phenomenology of geriatric depression. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005;13:694-700 pubmed
- Musham C, Brock C. Family practice residents' perspectives on Balint group training: in-depth interviews with frequent and infrequent attenders. Fam Med. 1994;26:382-6 pubmed..While Balint groups are a valuable component of a family practice residency program, it is likely that not all residents will be motivated or capable of deriving benefits from this teaching approach. ..
- Tull M, Trotman A, Duplinsky M, Reynolds E, Daughters S, Potenza M, et al. The effect of posttraumatic stress disorder on risk-taking propensity among crack/cocaine users in residential substance abuse treatment. Depress Anxiety. 2009;26:1158-64 pubmed publisher..However, less is known about the particular factors that may be placing individuals with a co-occurring PTSD and SUD diagnosis at risk for these outcomes. The construct of risk-taking propensity may hold particular promise...
- Findling R, Childress A, Cutler A, Gasior M, Hamdani M, Ferreira Cornwell M, et al. Efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011;50:395-405 pubmed publisher..To examine lisdexamfetamine dimesylate (LDX) efficacy and safety versus placebo in adolescents with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Loukas A. Examining temporal associations between perceived maternal psychological control and early adolescent internalizing problems. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2009;37:1113-22 pubmed publisher..Study findings extend limited research on adolescent effects, demonstrating that early adolescents' internalizing problems play a role in perceived maternal psychological control. ..
- Green C, Polen M, Janoff S, Castleton D, Wisdom J, Vuckovic N, et al. Understanding how clinician-patient relationships and relational continuity of care affect recovery from serious mental illness: STARS study results. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2008;32:9-22 pubmed publisher..Strong clinician-patient relationships, relational continuity, and a caring, collaborative approach facilitate recovery from mental illness and improved quality of life. ..
- Mellon M, Whiteside S, Friedrich W. The relevance of fecal soiling as an indicator of child sexual abuse: a preliminary analysis. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2006;27:25-32 pubmed..Soiling seems to represent one of many stress-induced dysregulated behaviors. Clinicians should assume the symptom of soiling is most likely related to the typical pathology and treat accordingly...
- Aziz A. Machiavellianism scores and self-rated performance of automobile salespersons. Psychol Rep. 2004;94:464-6 pubmed..The results provided partial support for earlier findings. Research designed to clarify this finding is required. ..