Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on peroxisomes in Germany
- Kassmann C, Nave K. Oligodendroglial impact on axonal function and survival - a hypothesis. Curr Opin Neurol. 2008;21:235-41 pubmed publisher..Collectively, experimental and pathological findings point to a primary role of myelinating glia in long-term axonal support and suggest that defects of lipid metabolism in oligodendrocytes contribute to inflammatory myelin diseases. ..
- Linka N, Theodoulou F, Haslam R, Linka M, Napier J, Neuhaus H, et al. Peroxisomal ATP import is essential for seedling development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell. 2008;20:3241-57 pubmed publisher..We show conclusively that PNC1 and PNC2 are essential for supplying peroxisomes with ATP, indicating that no other ATP generating systems exist inside plant peroxisomes. ..
- El Magraoui F, Bäumer B, Platta H, Baumann J, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. The RING-type ubiquitin ligases Pex2p, Pex10p and Pex12p form a heteromeric complex that displays enhanced activity in an ubiquitin conjugating enzyme-selective manner. FEBS J. 2012;279:2060-70 pubmed publisher..The RING domains proved to function as heteromeric pairs that display an Pex10p-dependent enhanced ligase activity in an ubiquitin conjugating enzyme-selective manner. ..
- Reumann S, Weber A. Plant peroxisomes respire in the light: some gaps of the photorespiratory C2 cycle have become filled--others remain. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:1496-510 pubmed..This review highlights recent developments in understanding photorespiration and identifies remaining gaps in our knowledge of this important metabolic pathway. ..
- Kirkin V, McEwan D, Novak I, Dikic I. A role for ubiquitin in selective autophagy. Mol Cell. 2009;34:259-69 pubmed publisher..This review explores the hypothesis that ubiquitin represents a selective degradation signal suitable for targeting various types of cargo, ranging from protein aggregates to membrane-bound organelles and microbes. ..
- Albertini M, Girzalsky W, Veenhuis M, Kunau W. Pex12p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a component of a multi-protein complex essential for peroxisomal matrix protein import. Eur J Cell Biol. 2001;80:257-70 pubmed..Our results suggest that Pex12p is a component of the peroxisomal translocation machinery for matrix proteins. ..
- Rottensteiner H, Stein K, Sonnenhol E, Erdmann R. Conserved function of pex11p and the novel pex25p and pex27p in peroxisome biogenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4316-28 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that Pex11p, Pex25p, and Pex27p build a family of proteins whose members are required for peroxisome biogenesis and play a role in the regulation of peroxisome size and number. ..
- Girzalsky W, Platta H, Erdmann R. Protein transport across the peroxisomal membrane. Biol Chem. 2009;390:745-51 pubmed publisher..In this brief review, we will summarize our current knowledge on the import of soluble proteins into the peroxisomal matrix...
- Seedorf U, Ellinghaus P, Roch Nofer J. Sterol carrier protein-2. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1486:45-54 pubmed
- Thoms S, Debelyy M, Nau K, Meyer H, Erdmann R. Lpx1p is a peroxisomal lipase required for normal peroxisome morphology. FEBS J. 2008;275:504-14 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, peroxisomes in deletion mutants of LPX1 have an aberrant morphology characterized by intraperoxisomal vesicles or invaginations. ..
- Meyer T, Holscher C, Schwöppe C, von Schaewen A. Alternative targeting of Arabidopsis plastidic glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase G6PD1 involves cysteine-dependent interaction with G6PD4 in the cytosol. Plant J. 2011;66:745-58 pubmed publisher..G6PD4 orthologs (new P0 class) apparently evolved to become cytosolic redox switches that confer thioredoxin-relayed alternative targeting to peroxisomes. ..
- Schwartzkopff B, Platta H, Hasan S, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Cysteine-specific ubiquitination protects the peroxisomal import receptor Pex5p against proteasomal degradation. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..Thus, our results indicate that not the cysteine residue but the position of ubiquitination is important for Pex5p function. The presence of the cysteine prevents polyubiquitination and rapid degradation of Pex5p. ..
- Chigri F, Flosdorff S, Pilz S, Kölle E, Dolze E, Gietl C, et al. The Arabidopsis calmodulin-like proteins AtCML30 and AtCML3 are targeted to mitochondria and peroxisomes, respectively. Plant Mol Biol. 2012;78:211-22 pubmed publisher..The identification of peroxisomal and mitochondrial CMLs is an important step in the understanding how these organelles are integrated into the cellular calcium/calmodulin signaling pathways...
- Ma C, Haslbeck M, Babujee L, Jahn O, Reumann S. Identification and characterization of a stress-inducible and a constitutive small heat-shock protein targeted to the matrix of plant peroxisomes. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:47-60 pubmed..Thus, plants are exceptional among eukaryotes in employing sHsps in the peroxisome matrix to prevent unspecific aggregation of partially denatured proteins under both physiological and stress conditions. ..
- Koch A, Yoon Y, Bonekamp N, McNiven M, Schrader M. A role for Fis1 in both mitochondrial and peroxisomal fission in mammalian cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5077-86 pubmed..These findings provide the first evidence for a role of Fis1 in peroxisomal fission and suggest that the fission machinery of mitochondria and peroxisomes shares common components. ..
- Brosius U, Gartner J. Cellular and molecular aspects of Zellweger syndrome and other peroxisome biogenesis disorders. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2002;59:1058-69 pubmed..This article reviews the peroxisomal system, the clinical, biochemical and molecular aspects of peroxisomal disorders, and discusses recent scientific advances in the understanding of peroxisome biogenesis. ..
- Reisse S, Rothardt G, Volkl A, Beier K. Peroxisomes and ether lipid biosynthesis in rat testis and epididymis. Biol Reprod. 2001;64:1689-94 pubmed..The results suggest that peroxisomes in epithelial cells of the rat epididymis play a pivotal role in the biosynthesis of plasmalogens destined for delivery to the sperm plasma membrane. ..
- Schell Steven A, Stein K, Amoros M, Landgraf C, Volkmer Engert R, Rottensteiner H, et al. Identification of a novel, intraperoxisomal pex14-binding site in pex13: association of pex13 with the docking complex is essential for peroxisomal matrix protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3007-18 pubmed
- Douangamath A, Filipp F, Klein A, Barnett P, Zou P, Voorn Brouwer T, et al. Topography for independent binding of alpha-helical and PPII-helical ligands to a peroxisomal SH3 domain. Mol Cell. 2002;10:1007-17 pubmed..Mutations in the Pex13p SH3 domain that abolish interactions within the Pex13p-Pex5p interface specifically impair PTS1-dependent protein import into yeast peroxisomes. ..
- Brosius U, Dehmel T, Gartner J. Two different targeting signals direct human peroxisomal membrane protein 22 to peroxisomes. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:774-84 pubmed..In addition, we observed that fusing the green fluorescent protein immediately adjacent to the targeting region completely abolishes targeting function and mislocalizes PMP22 to the cytosol. ..
- Kassmann C, Lappe Siefke C, Baes M, Brugger B, Mildner A, Werner H, et al. Axonal loss and neuroinflammation caused by peroxisome-deficient oligodendrocytes. Nat Genet. 2007;39:969-76 pubmed..We conclude that peroxisomes provide oligodendrocytes with an essential neuroprotective function against axon degeneration and neuroinflammation, which is relevant for human demyelinating diseases. ..
- Schliebs W, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Peroxisomal protein import and ERAD: variations on a common theme. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:885-90 pubmed publisher..We propose that the ER-associated protein degradation (ERAD)-like removal of the peroxisomal import receptor is mechanically coupled to protein translocation into the organelle, giving rise to a new concept of export-driven import...
- von Knethen A, Brüne B. Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma by nitric oxide in monocytes/macrophages down-regulates p47phox and attenuates the respiratory burst. J Immunol. 2002;169:2619-26 pubmed..We conclude that NO participates in controlling the pro- vs anti-inflammatory phenotype of macrophages by modulating PPARgamma. ..
- Babujee L, Wurtz V, Ma C, Lueder F, Soni P, Van Dorsselaer A, et al. The proteome map of spinach leaf peroxisomes indicates partial compartmentalization of phylloquinone (vitamin K1) biosynthesis in plant peroxisomes. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:1441-53 pubmed publisher..This proteomic study, extended by in vivo subcellular localization analyses, indicates a novel function for plant peroxisomes in phylloquinone biosynthesis. ..
- Mathur J, Mathur N, Hulskamp M. Simultaneous visualization of peroxisomes and cytoskeletal elements reveals actin and not microtubule-based peroxisome motility in plants. Plant Physiol. 2002;128:1031-45 pubmed..Microtubule depolymerization or stabilization had no effect...
- Koch A, Thiemann M, Grabenbauer M, Yoon Y, McNiven M, Schrader M. Dynamin-like protein 1 is involved in peroxisomal fission. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:8597-605 pubmed..These findings were confirmed by silencing of DLP1 using siRNA. We propose a direct role for the dynamin-like protein DLP1 in peroxisomal fission and in the maintenance of peroxisomal morphology in mammalian cells. ..
- Schuhmann H, Huesgen P, Gietl C, Adamska I. The DEG15 serine protease cleaves peroxisomal targeting signal 2-containing proteins in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2008;148:1847-56 pubmed publisher..In vivo studies with isolated homozygous deg15 knockout mutants and complemented mutant lines suggest that this enzyme mediates general processing of PTS2-containing proteins. ..
- Rottensteiner H, Wabnegger L, Erdmann R, Hamilton B, Ruis H, Hartig A, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae PIP2 mediating oleic acid induction and peroxisome proliferation is regulated by Adr1p and Pip2p-Oaf1p. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:27605-11 pubmed..Hence, both the expression as well as the action of the two transcription factors, Adr1p and Pip2p-Oaf1p, are interconnected, which allows for an elaborate control of fatty acid-inducible genes. ..
- Dastig S, Nenicu A, Otte D, Zimmer A, Seitz J, Baumgart Vogt E, et al. Germ cells of male mice express genes for peroxisomal metabolic pathways implicated in the regulation of spermatogenesis and the protection against oxidative stress. Histochem Cell Biol. 2011;136:413-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, germ cell peroxisomes are involved in the regulation of the homeostasis of signaling molecules regulating spermatogenesis and they contribute to the protection of germ cells against oxidative stress...
- Meiling Wesse K, Epple U, Krick R, Barth H, Appelles A, Voss C, et al. Trs85 (Gsg1), a component of the TRAPP complexes, is required for the organization of the preautophagosomal structure during selective autophagy via the Cvt pathway. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:33669-78 pubmed..But the phenotypes of trs85delta cells show striking differences to those seen in mutants with defects in the early secretory pathway. This suggests that Trs85 might play a direct role in the Cvt pathway and autophagy. ..
- Einwächter H, Sowinski S, Kunau W, Schliebs W. Yarrowia lipolytica Pex20p, Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pex18p/Pex21p and mammalian Pex5pL fulfil a common function in the early steps of the peroxisomal PTS2 import pathway. EMBO Rep. 2001;2:1035-9 pubmed..We propose that not necessarily the same proteins but functional modules of them are conserved in the early steps of peroxisomal protein import. ..
- Saffian D, Grimm I, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. ATP-dependent assembly of the heteromeric Pex1p-Pex6p-complex of the peroxisomal matrix protein import machinery. J Struct Biol. 2012;179:126-32 pubmed publisher..Disassembly of the complex into its Pex1p and Pex6p subunits is also observed upon ATP-depletion, indicating that formation of the Pex1p/Pex6p-complex requires the presence of ATP. ..
- Lay D, L Grosshans B, Heid H, Gorgas K, Just W. Binding and functions of ADP-ribosylation factor on mammalian and yeast peroxisomes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34489-99 pubmed..ScARF1 regulated this process in a positive manner, and ScARF3 regulated it in a negative manner. ..
- Kerssen D, Hambruch E, Klaas W, Platta H, de Kruijff B, Erdmann R, et al. Membrane association of the cycling peroxisome import receptor Pex5p. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27003-15 pubmed..Altogether, these data strongly suggest that a translocation-competent state of the PTS1 receptor enters the membrane via protein-lipid interactions before it tightly associates with other peroxins. ..
- Helm M, Lück C, Prestele J, Hierl G, Huesgen P, Frohlich T, et al. Dual specificities of the glyoxysomal/peroxisomal processing protease Deg15 in higher plants. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11501-6 pubmed..Thus, the GPP/Deg15 belongs to a group of trypsin-like serine proteases with Escherichia coli DegP as a prototype. Nevertheless, the GPP/Deg15 possesses specific characteristics and is therefore a new subgroup within the Deg proteases...
- Girzalsky W, Hoffmann L, Schemenewitz A, Nolte A, Kunau W, Erdmann R. Pex19p-dependent targeting of Pex17p, a peripheral component of the peroxisomal protein import machinery. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:19417-25 pubmed
- Schafer H, Nau K, Sickmann A, Erdmann R, Meyer H. Identification of peroxisomal membrane proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by mass spectrometry. Electrophoresis. 2001;22:2955-68 pubmed
- Lipka V, Dittgen J, Bednarek P, Bhat R, Wiermer M, Stein M, et al. Pre- and postinvasion defenses both contribute to nonhost resistance in Arabidopsis. Science. 2005;310:1180-3 pubmed..Concurrent impairment of pre- and postinvasion resistance renders Arabidopsis a host for both nonadapted fungi. ..
- Thoms S, Debelyy M, Connerth M, Daum G, Erdmann R. The putative Saccharomyces cerevisiae hydrolase Ldh1p is localized to lipid droplets. Eukaryot Cell. 2011;10:770-5 pubmed publisher..Ldh1p is not required for the function and biogenesis of peroxisomes, and targeting of Ldh1p to lipid droplets occurs independently of the PTS1 receptor Pex5p. ..
- Kannenberg F, Ellinghaus P, Assmann G, Seedorf U. Aberrant oxidation of the cholesterol side chain in bile acid synthesis of sterol carrier protein-2/sterol carrier protein-x knockout mice. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35455-60 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that the SCPx thiolase is critical for beta-oxidation of the steroid side chain in conversion of cholesterol into bile acids. ..
- Rai A, Nöthe H, Tzvetkov N, Korenbaum E, Manstein D. Dictyostelium dynamin B modulates cytoskeletal structures and membranous organelles. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2011;68:2751-67 pubmed publisher..Other functions displayed by dynamin B are commonly associated with either classical dynamins or dynamin-related proteins. ..
- Bolte K, Gruenheit N, Felsner G, Sommer M, Maier U, Hempel F. Making new out of old: recycling and modification of an ancient protein translocation system during eukaryotic evolution. Mechanistic comparison and phylogenetic analysis of ERAD, SELMA and the peroxisomal importomer. Bioessays. 2011;33:368-76 pubmed publisher..Editor's suggested further reading in BioEssays ERAD ubiquitin ligases Abstract...
- Vapola M, Rokka A, Sormunen R, Alhonen L, Schmitz W, Conzelmann E, et al. Peroxisomal membrane channel Pxmp2 in the mammary fat pad is essential for stromal lipid homeostasis and for development of mammary gland epithelium in mice. Dev Biol. 2014;391:66-80 pubmed publisher..The results point to disturbances of lipid metabolism in the mammary fat pad that in turn may result in abnormal epithelial growth. The work reveals impaired mammary gland development as a new category of peroxisomal disorders...
- Dietrich D, Seiler F, Essmann F, Dodt G. Identification of the kinesin KifC3 as a new player for positioning of peroxisomes and other organelles in mammalian cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:3013-3024 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of KifC3 would then lead to increased minus-end directed peroxisomal transport and cause the observed peroxisomal clustering at the microtubule-organizing center. ..
- Haferkamp I, Fernie A, Neuhaus H. Adenine nucleotide transport in plants: much more than a mitochondrial issue. Trends Plant Sci. 2011;16:507-15 pubmed publisher..We include recent scientific findings concerning organellar transporters from plants and algae and also focus on the physiological importance of adenine nucleotide exchange in these cells. ..
- Hensel A, Beck S, El Magraoui F, Platta H, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Cysteine-dependent ubiquitination of Pex18p is linked to cargo translocation across the peroxisomal membrane. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:43495-505 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that Pex18p export is linked to cargo translocation, which supports the idea of an export-driven import of proteins into peroxisomes. ..
- Toutzaris D, Lewerenz J, Albrecht P, Jensen L, Letz J, Geerts A, et al. A novel giant peroxisomal superoxide dismutase motif-containing protein. Free Radic Biol Med. 2010;48:811-20 pubmed publisher..Despite the presence of a SOD motif, which is necessary for protection in mammalian cells, the protein is not a functional SOD, but might be involved in SOD activity. ..
- Nowak K, Luniak N, Witt C, Wüstefeld Y, Wachter A, Mendel R, et al. Peroxisomal localization of sulfite oxidase separates it from chloroplast-based sulfur assimilation. Plant Cell Physiol. 2004;45:1889-94 pubmed..This conclusion is supported by expression studies in Pichia pastoris mutants with defined defects either in PTS1- or PTS2-mediated peroxisomal import. ..
- Platta H, El Magraoui F, Bäumer B, Schlee D, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Pex2 and pex12 function as protein-ubiquitin ligases in peroxisomal protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5505-16 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Pex2 mediates the Ubc4-dependent polyubiquitination whereas Pex12 facilitates the Pex4-dependent monoubiquitination of Pex5. ..
- Birschmann I, Stroobants A, van den Berg M, Schafer A, Rosenkranz K, Kunau W, et al. Pex15p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae provides a molecular basis for recruitment of the AAA peroxin Pex6p to peroxisomal membranes. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2226-36 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we propose that Pex6p exerts at least part of its function by an ATP-dependent cycle of recruitment and release to and from Pex15p. ..
- Lay D, Gorgas K, Just W. Peroxisome biogenesis: where Arf and coatomer might be involved. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1763:1678-87 pubmed
- Schafer A, Kerssen D, Veenhuis M, Kunau W, Schliebs W. Functional similarity between the peroxisomal PTS2 receptor binding protein Pex18p and the N-terminal half of the PTS1 receptor Pex5p. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8895-906 pubmed..On the basis of these results, we propose that the auxiliary proteins of the PTS2 import pathway fulfill roles similar to those of the N-terminal half of Pex5p in the PTS1 import pathway. ..
- Schumann U, Wanner G, Veenhuis M, Schmid M, Gietl C. AthPEX10, a nuclear gene essential for peroxisome and storage organelle formation during Arabidopsis embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9626-31 pubmed..The ultrastructural knockout phenotype of AthPEX10p suggests that this protein in Arabidopsis is essential for peroxisome, oleosome, and protein transport vesicle formation. ..
- Platta H, Grunau S, Rosenkranz K, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Functional role of the AAA peroxins in dislocation of the cycling PTS1 receptor back to the cytosol. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:817-22 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that the AAA peroxins mediate the ATP-dependent dislocation of the peroxisomal targeting signal-1 (PTS1) receptor from the peroxisomal membrane to the cytosol. ..
- Zekert N, Veith D, Fischer R. Interaction of the Aspergillus nidulans microtubule-organizing center (MTOC) component ApsB with gamma-tubulin and evidence for a role of a subclass of peroxisomes in the formation of septal MTOCs. Eukaryot Cell. 2010;9:795-805 pubmed publisher..The PTS2 motif was necessary for function but could be replaced with a PTS1 motif at the C terminus of ApsB. These results suggest a novel function for a subclass of peroxisomes in cytoskeletal organization. ..
- Kiel J, Emmrich K, Meyer H, Kunau W. Ubiquitination of the peroxisomal targeting signal type 1 receptor, Pex5p, suggests the presence of a quality control mechanism during peroxisomal matrix protein import. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1921-30 pubmed..Our data suggest that during receptor recycling a portion of Pex5p becomes ubiquitinated and degraded by the proteasome. We propose that this process represents a conserved quality control mechanism in peroxisome biogenesis. ..
- Rosenkranz K, Birschmann I, Grunau S, Girzalsky W, Kunau W, Erdmann R. Functional association of the AAA complex and the peroxisomal importomer. FEBS J. 2006;273:3804-15 pubmed
- Gronemeyer T, Wiese S, Grinhagens S, Schollenberger L, Satyagraha A, Huber L, et al. Localization of Rab proteins to peroxisomes: a proteomics and immunofluorescence study. FEBS Lett. 2013;587:328-38 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data suggest that Rab6, Rab10, Rab14 and Rab18 associate with the peroxisomal compartment and similar as previously shown for Rab8, Rab18 in its GDP-bound state favors peroxisome proliferation...
- Petrova V, Drescher D, Kujumdzieva A, Schmitt M. Dual targeting of yeast catalase A to peroxisomes and mitochondria. Biochem J. 2004;380:393-400 pubmed
- Freitag J, Ast J, Bölker M. Cryptic peroxisomal targeting via alternative splicing and stop codon read-through in fungi. Nature. 2012;485:522-5 pubmed publisher..Owing to its hidden nature, partial peroxisomal targeting of well-studied cytoplasmic enzymes has remained undetected. Thus, we anticipate that further bona fide cytoplasmic proteins exhibit similar dual targeting...
- Mayerhofer P, Kattenfeld T, Roscher A, Muntau A. Two splice variants of human PEX19 exhibit distinct functions in peroxisomal assembly. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;291:1180-6 pubmed
- Platta H, El Magraoui F, Schlee D, Grunau S, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Ubiquitination of the peroxisomal import receptor Pex5p is required for its recycling. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:197-204 pubmed..Therefore, the energy requirement of the peroxisomal import pathway has to be extended by a second ATP-dependent step, namely receptor monoubiquitination. ..
- Schuhmann H, Adamska I. Deg proteases and their role in protein quality control and processing in different subcellular compartments of the plant cell. Physiol Plant. 2012;145:224-34 pubmed publisher..Much less data is available for mitochondrial and nuclear Deg proteases. Based on the available expression data we hypothesize a role in general protein quality control and during acquired heat resistance...
- Ma C, Reumann S. Improved prediction of peroxisomal PTS1 proteins from genome sequences based on experimental subcellular targeting analyses as exemplified for protein kinases from Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2008;59:3767-79 pubmed publisher..The functional characterization of these inhibitory and essential enhancer-targeting elements allows their consideration in predictive algorithms to improve the prediction accuracy of PTS1 proteins from genome sequences. ..
- Zaar K, Köst H, Schad A, Volkl A, Baumgart E, Fahimi H. Cellular and subcellular distribution of D-aspartate oxidase in human and rat brain. J Comp Neurol. 2002;450:272-82 pubmed..Immunoelectron microscopy showed that the protein is localized in single membrane-bound organelles, apparently peroxisomes. ..
- Meinecke M, Cizmowski C, Schliebs W, Krüger V, Beck S, Wagner R, et al. The peroxisomal importomer constitutes a large and highly dynamic pore. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:273-7 pubmed publisher..The newly identified pore shows striking dynamics, as expected for an import machinery translocating proteins of variable sizes. ..
- Stein K, Schell Steven A, Erdmann R, Rottensteiner H. Interactions of Pex7p and Pex18p/Pex21p with the peroxisomal docking machinery: implications for the first steps in PTS2 protein import. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6056-69 pubmed..This complex accumulated in docking mutants but was absent in cells lacking Pex18p/Pex21p, indicating that Pex18p/Pex21p are required already before the docking event. ..