Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on pain in Spain
- Bruna J, Udina E, Alé A, Vilches J, Vynckier A, Monbaliu J, et al. Neurophysiological, histological and immunohistochemical characterization of bortezomib-induced neuropathy in mice. Exp Neurol. 2010;223:599-608 pubmed publisher..After washout, partial recovery was observed in functional, electrophysiological and histological analyses. These results suggest that axon and myelin changes might be secondary to an initial dysfunctional neuronopathy. ..
- Campillo Artero C, Kovacs F. The use of risk sharing tools for post adoption surveillance of a non pharmacological technology in routine practice: results after one year. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:181 pubmed publisher..The feasibility of generalising this approach to other settings and to other non-pharmacological treatments should be explored. ..
- Reyes del Paso G, Garrido S, Pulgar A, Martín Vázquez M, Duschek S. Aberrances in autonomic cardiovascular regulation in fibromyalgia syndrome and their relevance for clinical pain reports. Psychosom Med. 2010;72:462-70 pubmed publisher..On account of this and the reduced baroreflex function in FMS, one may assume deficient ascending pain inhibition arising from the cardiovascular system, which may contribute to hyperalgesia that is characteristic of the disorder. ..
- Morales Lozano R, Martínez Barrio J, González Fernández M, Lopez Longo F, Ovalles Bonilla J, Valor L, et al. The feet in systemic lupus erythematosus; are we underestimating their involvement and functional impact?. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:609-17 pubmed..SLE patients showed more biomechanical and US abnormalities in the feet than controls, which were not captured by standardised assessment of the disease activity. ..
- Brenchat A, Ejarque M, Zamanillo D, Vela J, Romero L. Potentiation of morphine analgesia by adjuvant activation of 5-HT7 receptors. J Pharmacol Sci. 2011;116:388-91 pubmed..These results reinforce the involvement of 5-HT7 receptors in opioid analgesia and point to a potential use of 5-HT7 receptor agonists as adjuvants of opioid analgesia. ..
- Lara Hernandez R, Lozano Vilardell P, Blanes P, Torreguitart Mirada N, Galmes A, Besalduch J. Safety and efficacy of therapeutic angiogenesis as a novel treatment in patients with critical limb ischemia. Ann Vasc Surg. 2010;24:287-94 pubmed publisher..4% after 1 year. Implantation of EPCs in CLI is a safe alternative, improves tissue perfusion, and obtains high amputation-free rates. Nevertheless, this is a small cohort and results should be tested with long randomized trials. ..
- Veras L, Castellanos J, Ramirez G, Valer A, Casamitjana J, Gonzalez F. Atlanto axial instability due to neurofibromatosis: case report. Acta Orthop Belg. 2000;66:392-6 pubmed..The incidence and variety of alterations of the cervical spine in patients affected with neurofibromatosis is discussed, as well as the results obtained by the treatment. ..
- Garzon J, Rodriguez Diaz M, López Fando A, Sánchez Blázquez P. RGS9 proteins facilitate acute tolerance to mu-opioid effects. Eur J Neurosci. 2001;13:801-11 pubmed..The desensitization of mu-opioid receptors appears to be a cell membrane-limited process facilitated by RGS9's sequestering of agonist-segregated G alpha subunits. ..
- Masedo A, Hanley M, Jensen M, Ehde D, Cardenas D. Reliability and validity of a self-report FIM (FIM-SR) in persons with amputation or spinal cord injury and chronic pain. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2005;84:167-76; quiz 177-9, 198 pubmed..The FIM-SR should be retested in amputation samples with more variable levels of functioning. ..
- Garcia Campayo J, Serrano Blanco A, Rodero B, Magallon R, Alda M, Andres E, et al. Effectiveness of the psychological and pharmacological treatment of catastrophization in patients with fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2009;10:24 pubmed publisher..This randomized clinical trial will determine whether both treatments are effective for this important prognostic variable in patients with fibromyalgia. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN10804772. ..
- ComÃn Colet J, Anguita M, Formiga F, Almenar L, Crespo Leiro M, Manzano L, et al. Health-related Quality of Life of Patients With Chronic Systolic Heart Failure in Spain: Results of the VIDA-IC Study. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed). 2016;69:256-71 pubmed publisher..Female sex, being older, comorbidity, advanced symptoms, and recent hospitalization are determinant factors in health-related quality of life in these patients. ..
- Espín López L, Carrillo Verdejo E, González Javier F, Ordoñana Martín J, Gómez Amor J. Incidence of anovulatory menstrual cycles among dysmenorrheic and non-non-dysmenorrheic [corrected] women: effects on symptomatology and mood. Psicothema. 2010;22:654-8 pubmed..These data confirm that primary dysmenorrhea does not only depend on the endocrine factors which regulate the menstrual cycle but also on other factors such as social or psychological ones. ..
- Mainau E, Temple D, Manteca X. Experimental study on the effect of oral meloxicam administration in sows on pre-weaning mortality and growth and immunoglobulin G transfer to piglets. Prev Vet Med. 2016;126:48-53 pubmed publisher..Future research is warranted to clearly identify the proximate mechanism behind IgG effect. ..
- Saíz Llamosas J, Fernández Pérez A, Fajardo Rodríguez M, Pilat A, Valenza Demet G, Fernandez de Las Penas C. Changes in neck mobility and pressure pain threshold levels following a cervical myofascial induction technique in pain-free healthy subjects. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009;32:352-7 pubmed publisher..No changes in PPT in either C5-C6 zygapophyseal joint (local point) or tibialis anterior muscle (distant point) were found. ..
- Espejo Antúnez L, Tejeda J, Albornoz Cabello M, Rodríguez Mansilla J, De La Cruz Torres B, Ribeiro F, et al. Dry needling in the management of myofascial trigger points: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Complement Ther Med. 2017;33:46-57 pubmed publisher..Despite some evidence for a positive effect in the short term, further randomized clinical trials of high methodological quality, using standardized procedures for the application of dry needling are needed. ..
- Riquelme I, Hatem S, Montoya P. Abnormal Pressure Pain, Touch Sensitivity, Proprioception, and Manual Dexterity in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Neural Plast. 2016;2016:1723401 pubmed publisher..Both sensory and motor impairments should be assessed and treated in children with ASD. ..
- Abad F, Diaz Gomez N, Domenech E, Gonzalez D, Robayna M, Feria M. Oral sucrose compares favourably with lidocaine-prilocaine cream for pain relief during venepuncture in neonates. Acta Paediatr. 2001;90:160-5 pubmed..008) groups; (ii) the above treatments attenuated significantly (p < 0.05) the immediate heart rate response to pain; and (iii) the concomitant use of EMLA did not increase further the analgesic efficacy of sucrose...
- Perez Guerrero C, Herrera M, Ortiz R, Alvarez de Sotomayor M, Fernandez M. A pharmacological study of Cecropia obtusifolia Bertol aqueous extract. J Ethnopharmacol. 2001;76:279-84 pubmed..Thus this work could justify the popular use of C. obtusifolia in rheumatic and kidney inflammation pathologies and reveals that this plant is an interesting species. ..
- Rodríguez Muñoz M, de la Torre Madrid E, Gaitan G, Sánchez Blázquez P, Garzón J. RGS14 prevents morphine from internalizing Mu-opioid receptors in periaqueductal gray neurons. Cell Signal. 2007;19:2558-71 pubmed..In RGS14 knockdown mice morphine failed to activate this kinase. It therefore appears that phosphorylation and internalization of MORs disrupts the CaMKII-mediated negative regulation of these opioid receptors. ..
- Pérez Flores M, Velasco Casares M, Lorenzo Carrero J. [Painful incomplete third-nerve palsy caused by an internal carotid-communicating posterior artery aneurysm]. Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2009;84:43-6 pubmed..We describe the differential diagnosis with Tolosa-Hunt syndrome and the results after endovascular treatment...
- Gonzalez Nunez V, Rodriguez R. The zebrafish: a model to study the endogenous mechanisms of pain. ILAR J. 2009;50:373-86 pubmed
- Valhondo M, Marco I, Martin Fontecha M, Vázquez Villa H, Ramos J, Berkels R, et al. New serotonin 5-HT1A receptor agonists endowed with antinociceptive activity in vivo. J Med Chem. 2013;56:7851-61 pubmed publisher..Thus, the new 5-HT1AR agonist identified in this work, 19, exhibits oral analgesic activity, and the results herein represent a step toward identifying new therapeutics for the control of pain. ..
- Kovacs F, Garcia E, Royuela A, González L, Abraira V. Prevalence and factors associated with low back pain and pelvic girdle pain during pregnancy: a multicenter study conducted in the Spanish National Health Service. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012;37:1516-33 pubmed..When these variables are taken into account, obstetrical data from current or previous pregnancies and other variables do not show a significant association with LBP. Stage of pregnancy and depression were associated with PGP. ..
- Delgado P, Diaz F, Gonzalez A, Sanchez E, Gutierrez P, Hernandez D, et al. Intolerance syndrome in failed renal allografts: incidence and efficacy of percutaneous embolization. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;46:339-44 pubmed..Our data support transcatheter vascular embolization as first-line therapy for patients with symptomatic failed renal allografts, although 1 in 4 patients will require transplantectomy. ..
- Pol O, Murtra P, Caracuel L, Valverde O, Puig M, Maldonado R. Expression of opioid receptors and c-fos in CB1 knockout mice exposed to neuropathic pain. Neuropharmacology. 2006;50:123-32 pubmed..These data revealed specific changes induced by neuropathic pain in MOR expression and c-fos levels in the DRG and/or spinal cord that were not modified by the genetic disruption of CB1 cannabinoid receptors. ..
- Roca B, Torres V. Pyomyositis of the iliacus muscle complicated with septic sacroiliitis. QJM. 2008;101:983-4 pubmed publisher..Pyomyositis of the iliacus muscle must be considered in the differential diagnosis of acute pain in the hip region. ..
- Cruz Díaz D, Bergamin M, Gobbo S, Martinez Amat A, Hita Contreras F. Comparative effects of 12 weeks of equipment based and mat Pilates in patients with Chronic Low Back Pain on pain, function and transversus abdominis activation. A randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2017;33:72-77 pubmed publisher..Significant differences were observed after 12 weeks of intervention in PMG and PAG with faster improvement in PAG suggesting that, feedback provided by equipment could help in the interiorization of Pilates principles. ..