Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on oxidoreductases in United States
Locale: United States
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- Min T, Kasahara H, Bedgar D, Youn B, Lawrence P, Gang D, et al. Crystal structures of pinoresinol-lariciresinol and phenylcoumaran benzylic ether reductases and their relationship to isoflavone reductases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:50714-23 pubmed..The basis for the distinct enantio-specific and regio-specific reactions of PCBER, PLR, and IFR, as well as the reaction mechanism and participating residues involved (as identified by site-directed mutagenesis), are discussed. ..
- Xing F, Hiley S, Hughes T, Phizicky E. The specificities of four yeast dihydrouridine synthases for cytoplasmic tRNAs. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:17850-60 pubmed..We show that each of the four Dus proteins has a distinct position specificity: Dus1p for U(16) and U(17), Dus2p for U(20), Dus3p for U(47), and Dus4p for U(20a) and U(20b). ..
- Bergmann D, Hooper A, Klotz M. Structure and sequence conservation of hao cluster genes of autotrophic ammonia-oxidizing bacteria: evidence for their evolutionary history. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2005;71:5371-82 pubmed..The conservation of the hao gene cluster in general and the uniqueness of the c(554) gene in particular make it a suitable target for the design of primers and probes useful for molecular ecology approaches to detect aAOB...
- Shelton M, Kern T, Mieyal J. Glutaredoxin regulates nuclear factor kappa-B and intercellular adhesion molecule in Müller cells: model of diabetic retinopathy. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:12467-74 pubmed..Thus, GRx may represent a novel therapeutic target to inhibit diabetic retinopathy. ..
- Aqeilan R, Hagan J, Aqeilan H, Pichiorri F, Fong L, Croce C. Inactivation of the Wwox gene accelerates forestomach tumor progression in vivo. Cancer Res. 2007;67:5606-10 pubmed
- Goffredi S, Wilpiszeski R, Lee R, Orphan V. Temporal evolution of methane cycling and phylogenetic diversity of archaea in sediments from a deep-sea whale-fall in Monterey Canyon, California. ISME J. 2008;2:204-20 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that whale-falls can favor the establishment of metabolically and phylogenetically diverse methanogen assemblages, resulting in an active near-seafloor methane cycle in the deep sea. ..
- Poret Peterson A, Graham J, Gulledge J, Klotz M. Transcription of nitrification genes by the methane-oxidizing bacterium, Methylococcus capsulatus strain Bath. ISME J. 2008;2:1213-20 pubmed publisher..5- and 40-fold in response to ammonia, the cotranscribed norC-norB mRNA did not increase. Our results strongly suggest that M. capsulatus Bath possesses a functional, ammonia-responsive HAO involved in nitrification...
- López Legentil S, Erwin P, Pawlik J, Song B. Effects of sponge bleaching on ammonia-oxidizing Archaea: distribution and relative expression of ammonia monooxygenase genes associated with the barrel sponge Xestospongia muta. Microb Ecol. 2010;60:561-71 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that a shift in the Crenarchaeota community precedes an increase in amoA gene expression in fatally bleached sponges, while cyclic bleaching did not alter the AOA community structure and its amoA gene expression...
- Hoober K, Joneja B, White H, Thorpe C. A sulfhydryl oxidase from chicken egg white. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:30510-6 pubmed..The close functional resemblance of the oxidase to the pyridine nucleotide-dependent disulfide oxidoreductase family is discussed. ..
- Ghosh S, Gachhui R, Crooks C, Wu C, Lisanti M, Stuehr D. Interaction between caveolin-1 and the reductase domain of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase. Consequences for catalysis. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:22267-71 pubmed..We propose that cav-1 binding to eNOS reductase compromises its ability to bind CaM and to donate electrons to the eNOS heme, thereby inhibiting NO synthesis. ..
- Schultz B, Chan S. Structures and proton-pumping strategies of mitochondrial respiratory enzymes. Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct. 2001;30:23-65 pubmed..The mechanisms and efficiency of proton translocation are also analyzed in terms of the thermodynamics of the substrate transformations catalyzed by these enzymes. ..
- Xu Z, Mulchandani A, Chen W. Detection of benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylenes (BTEX) using toluene dioxygenase-peroxidase coupling reactions. Biotechnol Prog. 2003;19:1812-5 pubmed..The excellent stability suggests that the reported bioassay may be suitable for field monitoring of BTEX to identify and track contaminated water and follow the bioremediation progress. ..
- Yang X, Yu L, He D, Yu C. The quinone-binding site in succinate-ubiquinone reductase from Escherichia coli. Quinone-binding domain and amino acid residues involved in quinone binding. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:31916-23 pubmed..The hydroxyl group, but not the size of the amino acid side chain, at position 33 of SdhC is also important, because Ser-33 can be substituted with threonine but not with alanine. ..
- Maser R, Vassmer D, Magenheimer B, Calvet J. Oxidant stress and reduced antioxidant enzyme protection in polycystic kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2002;13:991-9 pubmed..Reduced antioxidant enzyme protection and increased oxidative damage represent general mechanisms in the pathogenesis of polycystic kidney disease. ..
- Khor H, Fisher M, SCHONEICH C. Potential role of methionine sulfoxide in the inactivation of the chaperone GroEL by hypochlorous acid (HOCl) and peroxynitrite (ONOO-). J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19486-93 pubmed..The high sensitivity of GroEL toward HOCl and ONOO(-) suggests that this protein may be a target for bacterial killing by phagocytes. ..
- Cheng Q. Structural diversity and functional novelty of new carotenoid biosynthesis genes. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;33:552-9 pubmed..Phylogenetic analysis of these genes shed light on their possible evolutionary origins. These new genes also provide tools for synthesis of novel and desirable carotenoids by genetic engineering. ..
- Stoj C, Augustine A, Solomon E, Kosman D. Structure-function analysis of the cuprous oxidase activity in Fet3p from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7862-8 pubmed..These kinetic defects render the Fet3pM345A unable to support wild type cellular copper resistance, suggesting that there is a finely tuned copper redox balance at the yeast plasma membrane. ..
- Oien D, Osterhaus G, Latif S, Pinkston J, Fulks J, Johnson M, et al. MsrA knockout mouse exhibits abnormal behavior and brain dopamine levels. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008;45:193-200 pubmed publisher..These observations may be relevant to age-related neurological diseases associated with oxidative stress. ..
- Frustaci J, O Brian M. Characterization of a Bradyrhizobium japonicum ferrochelatase mutant and isolation of the hemH gene. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:4223-9 pubmed..The data show that B. japonicum ferrochelatase is essential for normal nodule development. ..
- Mohsen A, Vockley J. Identification of the active site catalytic residue in human isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase. Biochemistry. 1995;34:10146-52 pubmed..The E254G/A375E mutant IVD exhibited catalytic activity toward isovaleryl-CoA, and its spectrum in the absence or presence of the substrate was similar to that of the wild-type IVD.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Yeh A, Hu Y, Jenney F, Adams M, Rees D. Structures of the superoxide reductase from Pyrococcus furiosus in the oxidized and reduced states. Biochemistry. 2000;39:2499-508 pubmed..The structures of the oxidized and reduced forms of SOR suggest a mechanism by which superoxide accessibility may be controlled and define a possible binding site for rubredoxin, the likely physiological electron donor to SOR...
- Magnuson J, Romine M, Burris D, Kingsley M. Trichloroethene reductive dehalogenase from Dehalococcoides ethenogenes: sequence of tceA and substrate range characterization. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:5141-7 pubmed..Like the case for the two other RDases that have been cloned and sequenced, a small open reading frame, tceB, is proposed to be involved with membrane association of TCE-RDase and is predicted to be cotranscribed with tceA...
- Rees D. Great metalloclusters in enzymology. Annu Rev Biochem. 2002;71:221-46 pubmed..These proteins also provide a window into the union of the biological and inorganic worlds that may have been relevant to the early evolution of biochemical catalysis. ..
- Gutierrez T, Ingram L, Preston J. Purification and characterization of a furfural reductase (FFR) from Escherichia coli strain LYO1--an enzyme important in the detoxification of furfural during ethanol production. J Biotechnol. 2006;121:154-64 pubmed..The conversion of relatively toxic furfural to less toxic furfuryl alcohol suggests a beneficial role for this enzyme in mitigating furfural toxicity encountered during ethanol production from lignocellulosic biomass...
- Oglesby A, Murphy E, Iyer V, Payne S. Fur regulates acid resistance in Shigella flexneri via RyhB and ydeP. Mol Microbiol. 2005;58:1354-67 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the acid sensitivity defect of the S. flexneri fur mutant is due to repression of ydeP by RyhB, most likely via repression of evgA. ..
- Jiao Y, Newman D. The pio operon is essential for phototrophic Fe(II) oxidation in Rhodopseudomonas palustris TIE-1. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:1765-73 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that proteins encoded by the pio operon are essential and specific for phototrophic Fe(II) oxidation in R. palustris TIE-1...
- Spiro T, Bargar J, Sposito G, Tebo B. Bacteriogenic manganese oxides. Acc Chem Res. 2010;43:2-9 pubmed publisher..However, it includes a critical additional step of Mn(III) oxidation or disproportionation. We shall continue to investigate this biochemically unique process with purified enzymes. ..
- Li H, Mapolelo D, Dingra N, Keller G, Riggs Gelasco P, Winge D, et al. Histidine 103 in Fra2 is an iron-sulfur cluster ligand in the [2Fe-2S] Fra2-Grx3 complex and is required for in vivo iron signaling in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:867-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that the histidine coordination and stability of the [2Fe-2S] cluster in the Fra2-Grx3 complex are essential for iron regulation in yeast. ..
- Wang X, Son Y, Chang Q, Sun L, Hitron J, Budhraja A, et al. NADPH oxidase activation is required in reactive oxygen species generation and cell transformation induced by hexavalent chromium. Toxicol Sci. 2011;123:399-410 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NOX plays an important role in Cr(VI)-induced ROS generation and carcinogenesis...
- Jones W, Kirkpatrick R, Rawls J. Molecular cloning and transcript mapping of the dihydroorotate dehydrogenase dhod locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1989;219:397-403 pubmed..The developmental expression of this transcript is discussed relative to the expression of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase activity and other genes of the pyrimidine biosynthetic pathway. ..
- Pihl T, Sharma S, Reeve J. Growth phase-dependent transcription of the genes that encode the two methyl coenzyme M reductase isoenzymes and N5-methyltetrahydromethanopterin:coenzyme M methyltransferase in Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum delta H. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:6384-91 pubmed
- Jordan D, Bisaha J, Picollelli M. Catalytic properties of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: studies on pH, alternate substrates, and inhibitors. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2000;378:84-92 pubmed..Orotate inhibition profiles versus varied concentrations of dihydroorotate with ferricyanide or O2 as acceptors suggest that both orotate and dihydroorotate have significant affinities for the reduced and oxidized forms of the enzyme. ..
- Gimm O, Armanios M, Dziema H, Neumann H, Eng C. Somatic and occult germ-line mutations in SDHD, a mitochondrial complex II gene, in nonfamilial pheochromocytoma. Cancer Res. 2000;60:6822-5 pubmed
- Craft J, Horng Y, Ragsdale S, Brunold T. Spectroscopic and computational characterization of the nickel-containing F430 cofactor of methyl-coenzyme M reductase. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2004;9:77-89 pubmed
- Morris J, Willard B, Yin X, Jeserich G, Kinter M, Trapp B. The 36K protein of zebrafish CNS myelin is a short-chain dehydrogenase. Glia. 2004;45:378-91 pubmed..This study identified a major myelin protein in zebrafish, 36K, as a member of the SDR superfamily; an expression pattern similar to other myelin genes was demonstrated. ..
- Belchik S, Xun L. S-glutathionyl-(chloro)hydroquinone reductases: a new class of glutathione transferases functioning as oxidoreductases. Drug Metab Rev. 2011;43:307-16 pubmed publisher..Further, the common presence of GS-HQRs in plants, green algae, cyanobacteria, and halobacteria suggest a beneficial role in the light-using organisms. ..
- Zidenga T, Leyva Guerrero E, Moon H, Siritunga D, Sayre R. Extending cassava root shelf life via reduction of reactive oxygen species production. Plant Physiol. 2012;159:1396-407 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a mechanism for PPD in cassava based on cyanide-induced oxidative stress as well as PPD control strategies involving inhibition of ROS production or its sequestration. ..
- Church S, Jensen S, Antony P, Restifo N, Fox B. Tumor-specific CD4+ T cells maintain effector and memory tumor-specific CD8+ T cells. Eur J Immunol. 2014;44:69-79 pubmed publisher..These data support combining immunotherapies that elicit both tumor-specific CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells for treatment of patients with cancer. ..
- Lulai E, Suttle J, Olson L, Neubauer J, Campbell L, Campbell M. Wounding induces changes in cytokinin and auxin content in potato tuber, but does not induce formation of gibberellins. J Plant Physiol. 2016;191:22-8 pubmed publisher..The absence of gibberellins indicates that they are not a regulatory component of wound-healing processes. ..
- Matsumura H, Chakraborty S, Reed J, Lu Y, MoÃ«nne Loccoz P. Effect of Outer-Sphere Side Chain Substitutions on the Fate of the trans Iron-Nitrosyl Dimer in Heme/Nonheme Engineered Myoglobins (Fe(B)Mbs): Insights into the Mechanism of Denitrifying NO Reductases. Biochemistry. 2016;55:2091-9 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa cNOR. ..
- Yu L, Wei Y, Usui S, Yu C. Cytochrome b560 (QPs1) of mitochondrial succinate-ubiquinone reductase. Immunochemistry, cloning, and nucleotide sequencing. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:24508-15 pubmed..The conserved nature and similar location of these 2 histidines, on the matrix-side surface of the membrane, suggest that they are involved in heme ligation of cytochrome b560...
- Schindelin H, Kisker C, Schlessman J, Howard J, Rees D. Structure of ADP x AIF4(-)-stabilized nitrogenase complex and its implications for signal transduction. Nature. 1997;387:370-6 pubmed..Interactions in the nitrogenase complex have broad implications for signal and energy transduction mechanisms in multiprotein complexes. ..
- King P, Przybyla A. Response of hya expression to external pH in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5250-6 pubmed..However, external pH did affect hyb expression levels, which, in contrast to hya, were maximal in alkaline rather than acidic medium. ..
- Yu H, Lee M, Starck L, Elias E, Irons M, Salen G, et al. Spectrum of Delta(7)-dehydrocholesterol reductase mutations in patients with the Smith-Lemli-Opitz (RSH) syndrome. Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:1385-91 pubmed..We estimate that between 33 and 42% of the variation in the SLOS severity score is accounted for by variation in plasma cholesterol. Thus, factors other than plasma cholesterol are additionally involved in determining severity. ..
- Yang S, Madyastha P, Bingel S, Ries W, Key L. A new superoxide-generating oxidase in murine osteoclasts. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5452-8 pubmed..This new oxidase complex was present and functional in osteoclasts from p91 knockout mice, explaining the normal resorptive activity seen in the osteoclasts where no p91 is present. ..
- Jordan D, Basarab G, Liao D, Johnson W, Winzenberg K, Winkler D. Structure-based design of inhibitors of the rice blast fungal enzyme trihydroxynaphthalene reductase. J Mol Graph Model. 2001;19:434-47, 470-1 pubmed..Leapfrog was able to locate a previously unrecognized binding pocket that could accommodate these otherwise anomalous regions of structure. ..
- Emerson J, Coulter E, Cabelli D, Phillips R, Kurtz D. Kinetics and mechanism of superoxide reduction by two-iron superoxide reductase from Desulfovibrio vulgaris. Biochemistry. 2002;41:4348-57 pubmed
- Thorpe C, Hoober K, Raje S, Glynn N, Burnside J, Turi G, et al. Sulfhydryl oxidases: emerging catalysts of protein disulfide bond formation in eukaryotes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;405:1-12 pubmed..In sum, this review suggests that QSOX enzymes play a significant role in oxidative folding of a large variety of proteins in a wide range of multicellular organisms. ..
- Rix U, Fischer C, Remsing L, Rohr J. Modification of post-PKS tailoring steps through combinatorial biosynthesis. Nat Prod Rep. 2002;19:542-80 pubmed..ketoreductases, glycosyl- and methyltransferases, acyltransferases, halogenases, cyclases and aminotransferases Since this is the first review on this topic, it covers literature from 1985 to 2002, and 248 references are given. ..
- Emerson J, Coulter E, Phillips R, Kurtz D. Kinetics of the superoxide reductase catalytic cycle. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:39662-8 pubmed..These results provide quantitative support for previous suggestions that, in times of oxidative stress, SORs efficiently divert intracellular reducing equivalents to superoxide...
- Zanno A, Kwiatkowski N, Vaz A, Guardiola Diaz H. MT FdR: a ferredoxin reductase from M. tuberculosis that couples to MT CYP51. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1707:157-69 pubmed..tuberculosis that is similar to lanosterol 14alpha-demethylase isozymes. This reconstituted system transfers electrons from the cofactor to the heme iron of MT CYP51 and effects the demethylation of lanosterol. ..
- Rodeberg D, Nuss R, Elsawa S, Celis E. Recognition of six-transmembrane epithelial antigen of the prostate-expressing tumor cells by peptide antigen-induced cytotoxic T lymphocytes. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:4545-52 pubmed..Also because STEAP-292.2L is a more immunogenic peptide able to induce CTL recognition of these STEAP-containing tumors and may have potential as an antitumor peptide vaccine. ..
- Könneke M, Bernhard A, de la Torre J, Walker C, Waterbury J, Stahl D. Isolation of an autotrophic ammonia-oxidizing marine archaeon. Nature. 2005;437:543-6 pubmed..The autotrophic metabolism of this isolate, and its close phylogenetic relationship to environmental marine crenarchaeal sequences, suggests that nitrifying marine Crenarchaeota may be important to global carbon and nitrogen cycles...
- Oien D, Moskovitz J. Ablation of the mammalian methionine sulfoxide reductase A affects the expression level of cysteine deoxygenase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;352:556-9 pubmed..We suggest that both enzymes are working in coordination to balance cellular antioxidant defense. ..
- Lei K, Townsend D, Tew K. Protein cysteine sulfinic acid reductase (sulfiredoxin) as a regulator of cell proliferation and drug response. Oncogene. 2008;27:4877-87 pubmed publisher..These data support a role for Srx in controlling the phosphorylation status of key regulatory kinases through effects upon phosphatase activity with an ultimate effect on pathways that influence cell proliferation. ..
- Hendrickson E, Leigh J. Roles of coenzyme F420-reducing hydrogenases and hydrogen- and F420-dependent methylenetetrahydromethanopterin dehydrogenases in reduction of F420 and production of hydrogen during methanogenesis. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:4818-21 pubmed publisher..We designate the alternative pathway for the interconversion of H2 and F420H2 the Hmd-Mtd cycle...
- Senkal C, Ponnusamy S, Bielawski J, Hannun Y, Ogretmen B. Antiapoptotic roles of ceramide-synthase-6-generated C16-ceramide via selective regulation of the ATF6/CHOP arm of ER-stress-response pathways. FASEB J. 2010;24:296-308 pubmed publisher..Thus, these data reveal an unexpected and novel prosurvival role of CerS6/C(16)-ceramide involved in the protection against ER-stress-induced apoptosis and induction of HNSCC tumor growth. ..
- Siskind L, Mullen T, Romero Rosales K, Clarke C, Hernandez Corbacho M, Edinger A, et al. The BCL-2 protein BAK is required for long-chain ceramide generation during apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11818-26 pubmed publisher..By establishing a unique role for BAK in long-chain ceramide metabolism, these studies further demonstrate that the seemingly redundant proteins BAK and BAX have distinct mechanisms of action during apoptosis induction. ..
- Chikwana V, Stec B, Lee B, De Crecy Lagard V, Iwata Reuyl D, Swairjo M. Structural basis of biological nitrile reduction. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:30560-70 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose a mechanism for the activation of the Cys-55 nucleophile and subsequent hydride transfer. ..
- Hatzenpichler R. Diversity, physiology, and niche differentiation of ammonia-oxidizing archaea. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012;78:7501-10 pubmed publisher..It emphasizes the importance of activity-based analyses in AOA studies and formulates priorities for future research. ..
- Liu F, Banta S, Chen W. Functional assembly of a multi-enzyme methanol oxidation cascade on a surface-displayed trifunctional scaffold for enhanced NADH production. Chem Commun (Camb). 2013;49:3766-8 pubmed publisher..The multi-enzyme cascade showed 5 times higher NADH production rate than the non-complexed enzyme mixture, a result of efficient substrate channeling. ..
- Rangaswamy V, Mitchell R, Ullrich M, Bender C. Analysis of genes involved in biosynthesis of coronafacic acid, the polyketide component of the phytotoxin coronatine. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:3330-8 pubmed..A genetic strategy was used to produce CFA in a P. syringae strain which lacks the COR gene cluster; this approach will be useful in future studies designed to investigate biosynthetic products of the CFA gene cluster...
- Schlessman J, Woo D, Joshua Tor L, Howard J, Rees D. Conformational variability in structures of the nitrogenase iron proteins from Azotobacter vinelandii and Clostridium pasteurianum. J Mol Biol. 1998;280:669-85 pubmed..A core of 140 conserved residues is identified in an alignment of 59 Fe-protein sequences that may be useful for the identification of homologous proteins with functions comparable to that of Fe-protein in non-nitrogen fixing systems...
- Zehr J, Mellon M, Zani S. New nitrogen-fixing microorganisms detected in oligotrophic oceans by amplification of Nitrogenase (nifH) genes. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1998;64:3444-50 pubmed..The results indicate that there are in the oceanic environment several distinct potentially nitrogen-fixing microbial assemblages that include representatives of diverse phylotypes. ..
- Bessette P, Cotto J, Gilbert H, Georgiou G. In vivo and in vitro function of the Escherichia coli periplasmic cysteine oxidoreductase DsbG. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:7784-92 pubmed..Overall, our results indicate that DsbG functions primarily as a periplasmic disulfide isomerase with a narrower substrate specificity than DsbC. ..
- Raje S, Glynn N, Thorpe C. A continuous fluorescence assay for sulfhydryl oxidase. Anal Biochem. 2002;307:266-72 pubmed..Finally, the assay is used to show that there is sulfhydryl oxidase activity in a number of secretory fluids including human tears. ..
- Van Dien S, Marx C, O Brien B, Lidstrom M. Genetic characterization of the carotenoid biosynthetic pathway in Methylobacterium extorquens AM1 and isolation of a colorless mutant. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:7563-6 pubmed..Mutations in the other three did not affect color. The tetracycline marker was removed from the original transposon mutant, resulting in a pigment-free strain with wild-type growth properties useful as a tool for future experiments...
- Driscoll D, Chavatte L. Finding needles in a haystack. In silico identification of eukaryotic selenoprotein genes. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:140-1 pubmed
- Caccamo M, Malone C, Rasche M. Biochemical characterization of a dihydromethanopterin reductase involved in tetrahydromethanopterin biosynthesis in Methylobacterium extorquens AM1. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:2068-73 pubmed..This may be a consequence of different electron donors, NAD(P)H versus reduced F420, used, respectively, in bacteria and methanogenic archaea...
- Shao B, Oda M, Bergt C, Fu X, Green P, Brot N, et al. Myeloperoxidase impairs ABCA1-dependent cholesterol efflux through methionine oxidation and site-specific tyrosine chlorination of apolipoprotein A-I. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9001-4 pubmed
- CZAKO M, Feng X, He Y, Liang D, Márton L. Transgenic Spartina alterniflora for phytoremediation. Environ Geochem Health. 2006;28:103-10 pubmed..Line #7 showed the highest resistance to HgCl(2) (up to 500 microM), whereas line #3 was the most resistant to phenylmercuric acetate (PMA). Wild-type (WT) callus is sensitive to PMA at 50 microM and to HgCl(2) at 225 microM. ..
- Findlay V, Townsend D, Morris T, Fraser J, He L, Tew K. A novel role for human sulfiredoxin in the reversal of glutathionylation. Cancer Res. 2006;66:6800-6 pubmed..This novel deglutathionylation function of sulfiredoxin suggests it has a central role in redox control with potential implications in cell signaling. ..
- Stewart J. Genomes as resources for biocatalysis. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2006;59:31-52 pubmed
- Kraveka J, Li L, Szulc Z, Bielawski J, Ogretmen B, Hannun Y, et al. Involvement of dihydroceramide desaturase in cell cycle progression in human neuroblastoma cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:16718-28 pubmed..Tautomycin was also able to block the hypophosphorylation of the retinoblastoma protein observed upon fenretinide treatment. These findings suggest a novel biological function for dihydroceramides. ..
- Hutton S, Spritz R. Comprehensive analysis of oculocutaneous albinism among non-Hispanic caucasians shows that OCA1 is the most prevalent OCA type. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:2442-50 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that, contrary to long-held clinical lore, OCA1, not OCA2, is by far the most frequent cause of OCA among Caucasian patients...
- Jin J, Mullen T, Hou Q, Bielawski J, Bielawska A, Zhang X, et al. AMPK inhibitor Compound C stimulates ceramide production and promotes Bax redistribution and apoptosis in MCF7 breast carcinoma cells. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:2389-97 pubmed publisher..Downregulation of LASS/CerS 5 was found to attenuate Compound C-mediated ceramide production, Bax redistribution, and cell death. ..
- Dekas A, Poretsky R, Orphan V. Deep-sea archaea fix and share nitrogen in methane-consuming microbial consortia. Science. 2009;326:422-6 pubmed publisher..This finding extends the demonstrated lower limits of respiratory energy capable of fueling N2 fixation and reveals a link between the global carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur cycles...
- Velma V, Tchounwou P. Chromium-induced biochemical, genotoxic and histopathologic effects in liver and kidney of goldfish, carassius auratus. Mutat Res. 2010;698:43-51 pubmed publisher..Taking together the findings of this study are helpful in organ-specific risk assessment of Cr (VI)-induced oxidative stress, genotoxicity and histopathology in fish...
- Vanden Wymelenberg A, Gaskell J, Mozuch M, Sabat G, Ralph J, Skyba O, et al. Comparative transcriptome and secretome analysis of wood decay fungi Postia placenta and Phanerochaete chrysosporium. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:3599-610 pubmed publisher..placenta, these patterns are consistent with an extracellular Fenton system and include the upregulation of genes involved in iron acquisition, in the synthesis of low-molecular-weight quinones, and possibly in redox cycling reactions. ..
- Davis D, Gamble M, Bagwell C, Bergholz P, Lovell C. Responses of salt marsh plant rhizosphere diazotroph assemblages to changes in marsh elevation, edaphic conditions and plant host species. Microb Ecol. 2011;61:386-98 pubmed publisher..These sequences from ubiquitous and versatile organisms likely indicate the diazotrophs in these rhizosphere assemblages that significantly contribute to ecosystem function. ..
- Jin H, Zhang Y, Buchko G, Varnum S, Robinson H, Squier T, et al. Structure determination and functional analysis of a chromate reductase from Gluconacetobacter hansenii. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42432 pubmed publisher..The proposed proximity relationships between metal anion binding site and enzyme cofactors is discussed in terms of rational design principles for the use of enzymes in chromate and uranyl bioremediation. ..
- Wu W, Clem R, Rohrmann G, Passarelli A. The baculovirus sulfhydryl oxidase Ac92 (P33) interacts with the Spodoptera frugiperda P53 protein and oxidizes it in vitro. Virology. 2013;447:197-207 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Ac92 binds to SfP53 during AcMNPV replication and oxidizes SfP53 in vitro, we could not detect any effects of this interaction on AcMNPV replication in cultured cells...
- Li H, Alper H. Enabling xylose utilization in Yarrowia lipolytica for lipid production. Biotechnol J. 2016;11:1230-40 pubmed publisher..Finally, this study also reveals the flexibility and dynamic nature of the Y. lipolytica genome, and the means at which starvation can be used to induce genomic duplications. ..
- Ikegwuonu F, Jefcoate C. Evidence for the involvement of the fatty acid and peroxisomal beta-oxidation pathways in the inhibition by dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and induction by 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) and benz(a)anthracene (BA) of cytochrome P4501B1 (CY. Mol Cell Biochem. 1999;198:89-100 pubmed..These results also present evidence for the first time, for the possible peroxisomal effects of TCDD and BA which are similar to those of DHEA in this mouse embryo fibroblast cell line. ..
- McDonald J, Cotton R, Jennings I, Ledley F, Woo S, Bode V. Biochemical defect of the hph-1 mouse mutant is a deficiency in GTP-cyclohydrolase activity. J Neurochem. 1988;50:655-7 pubmed
- Schenkman J, Voznesensky A, Jansson I. Influence of ionic strength on the P450 monooxygenase reaction and role of cytochrome b5 in the process. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1994;314:234-41 pubmed
- Lamberg K, Kiley P. FNR-dependent activation of the class II dmsA and narG promoters of Escherichia coli requires FNR-activating regions 1 and 3. Mol Microbiol. 2000;38:817-27 pubmed