Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on oxidative stress in Israel
Topic: oxidative stress
- Paz Elizur T, Krupsky M, Blumenstein S, Elinger D, Schechtman E, Livneh Z. DNA repair activity for oxidative damage and risk of lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003;95:1312-9 pubmed..Although prospective studies are needed to validate the results, they suggest that smoking cessation in individuals with reduced OGG activity might be an effective strategy in lung cancer prevention. ..
- Szuchman Sapir A, Etzman M, Tamir S. Human atherosclerotic plaque lipid extract impairs the antioxidant defense capacity of monocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;423:884-8 pubmed publisher..Lipids from the atherosclerotic plaque may contribute to the progression of atherogenic conditions in adjacent regions by weakening the cellular antioxidant system and promoting oxidative stress, mainly through H(2)O(2) production. ..
- Freikman I, Amer J, Cohen J, Ringel I, Fibach E. Oxidative stress causes membrane phospholipid rearrangement and shedding from RBC membranes--an NMR study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1778:2388-94 pubmed publisher..6- and 4.8-fold, respectively) than in their normal counterparts. However, the bulk (80-90%) of the shed PS was not associated with microparticles. The significance of PS shedding for RBC survival needs further clarification. ..
- Cohen A, Geva Zatorsky N, Eden E, Frenkel Morgenstern M, Issaeva I, Sigal A, et al. Dynamic proteomics of individual cancer cells in response to a drug. Science. 2008;322:1511-6 pubmed publisher..We identify proteins whose dynamics differ widely between cells, in a way that corresponds to the outcomes-cell death or survival. This opens the way to understanding molecular responses to drugs in individual cells. ..
- Dror V, Eliash S, Rehavi M, Assaf Y, Biton I, Fattal Valevski A. Neurodegeneration in thiamine deficient rats-A longitudinal MRI study. Brain Res. 2010;1308:176-84 pubmed publisher..This longitudinal MRI study demonstrated that in TD MRI can detect neurodegeneration and neuronal recovery. DTI is more sensitive than T(2) mapping in the early detection of TD lesions. ..
- Tacutu R, Budovsky A, Yanai H, Fraifeld V. Molecular links between cellular senescence, longevity and age-related diseases - a systems biology perspective. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:1178-91 pubmed..Modulating CS may represent a potential pro-longevity and anti-ARDs therapeutic strategy. ..
- Hajaj B, Yesilkaya H, Benisty R, David M, Andrew P, Porat N. Thiol peroxidase is an important component of Streptococcus pneumoniae in oxygenated environments. Infect Immun. 2012;80:4333-43 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study suggest that TpxD constitutes a component of the organism's fundamental strategy to fine-tune cellular processes in response to H(2)O(2). ..
- Fait V, Sela S, Ophir E, Khoury S, Nissimov J, Tkach M, et al. Hyperemesis gravidarum is associated with oxidative stress. Am J Perinatol. 2002;19:93-8 pubmed..43 +/- 1.6 microM). Low values of plasma GSH in HEG patients suggest that oxidative stress is associated with this condition. ..
- Shaked I, Tchoresh D, Gersner R, Meiri G, Mordechai S, Xiao X, et al. Protective autoimmunity: interferon-gamma enables microglia to remove glutamate without evoking inflammatory mediators. J Neurochem. 2005;92:997-1009 pubmed..These findings suggest that T cells or their cytokines can cause microglia to adopt a phenotype that facilitates rather than impairs glutamate clearance, possibly contributing to restoration of homeostasis. ..
- Tichon A, Eitan E, Kurkalli B, Braiman A, Gazit A, Slavin S, et al. Oxidative stress protection by novel telomerase activators in mesenchymal stem cells derived from healthy and diseased individuals. Curr Mol Med. 2013;13:1010-22 pubmed..These results suggest that pharmaceutical increase of telomerase may confer a beneficial therapeutic advantage in regenerative medicine when hMSC therapy is applied. ..
- Breuer W, Greenberg E, Cabantchik Z. Newly delivered transferrin iron and oxidative cell injury. FEBS Lett. 1997;403:213-9 pubmed..The Tf-delivered iron disappeared from LIP and the TBHP-reactive pool with a t1/2 < 30 min. The results indicate that the catalytic potential of iron is highest while in transit between endosomes and cytosolic ligands. ..
- Lev N, Barhum Y, Ben Zur T, Melamed E, Steiner I, Offen D. Knocking out DJ-1 attenuates astrocytes neuroprotection against 6-hydroxydopamine toxicity. J Mol Neurosci. 2013;50:542-50 pubmed publisher..These experiments demonstrated that lack of DJ-1 impairs astrocyte-mediated neuroprotection. ..
- Elmann A, Telerman A, Erlank H, Ofir R, Kashman Y, Beit Yannai E. Achillolide A Protects Astrocytes against Oxidative Stress by Reducing Intracellular Reactive Oxygen Species and Interfering with Cell Signaling. Molecules. 2016;21:301 pubmed publisher..We propose that achillolide A deserves further evaluation for its potential to be developed as a drug for the prevention/treatment of neurodegenerative diseases and brain injuries where oxidative stress is part of the pathophysiology. ..
- Shohami E, Gati I, Beit Yannai E, Trembovler V, Kohen R. Closed head injury in the rat induces whole body oxidative stress: overall reducing antioxidant profile. J Neurotrauma. 1999;16:365-76 pubmed..01) even up to 24 h. We conclude that although the injury was delivered over the left cerebral hemisphere, the whole body appeared to be under oxidative stress, within 24 h after brain injury. ..
- Degu A, Ayenew B, Cramer G, Fait A. Polyphenolic responses of grapevine berries to light, temperature, oxidative stress, abscisic acid and jasmonic acid show specific developmental-dependent degrees of metabolic resilience to perturbation. Food Chem. 2016;212:828-36 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates the occurrence of differential patterns of metabolic responses specific to individual cues and berry developmental stage, which in the field are commonly associated and thus hardly discernable. ..
- Efrati S, Gall N, Bergan J, Fishlev G, Bass A, Berman S, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen, oxidative stress, NO bioavailability and ulcer oxygenation in diabetic patients. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2009;36:1-12 pubmed..Insufficient increase of ulcer oxygenation during HBO2 results from exaggerated oxidative stress and decreased NO bioavailability. NAC administration-induced modulation of both parameters and may improve ulcer oxygenation during HBO2. ..
- Tovy A, Hertz R, Siman Tov R, Syan S, Faust D, Guillen N, et al. Glucose starvation boosts Entamoeba histolytica virulence. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e1247 pubmed publisher..These data emphasize the unexpected role of GS in the modulation of E.histolytica virulence and the involvement of KRiP1 and Lgl1 in this phenomenon. ..
- Pesakhov S, Khanin M, Studzinski G, Danilenko M. Distinct combinatorial effects of the plant polyphenols curcumin, carnosic acid, and silibinin on proliferation and apoptosis in acute myeloid leukemia cells. Nutr Cancer. 2010;62:811-24 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest a mechanistic basis for the potential use of dietary plant polyphenol combinations in the treatment and prevention of AML. ..
- Mittova V, Theodoulou F, Kiddle G, Gomez L, Volokita M, Tal M, et al. Coordinate induction of glutathione biosynthesis and glutathione-metabolizing enzymes is correlated with salt tolerance in tomato. FEBS Lett. 2003;554:417-21 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism of coordinate upregulation of synthesis and metabolism of GSH in Lpa, that is absent from Lem. ..
- Gotloib L, Wajsbrot V, Shostak A. Osmotic agents hamper mesothelial repopulation as seen in the doughnut in vivo model. Perit Dial Int. 2005;25 Suppl 3:S26-30 pubmed..25% glucose and 7.5% icodextrin, substantially restrain the normal process of mesothelial cell repopulation and induce repair by means of connective tissue. The underlying mechanism is most likely sustained oxidative stress. ..
- Erez O, Goldstaub D, Friedman J, Kahana C. Putrescine activates oxidative stress dependent apoptotic death in ornithine decarboxylase overproducing mouse myeloma cells. Exp Cell Res. 2002;281:148-56 pubmed..We suggest that the accumulation of putrescine leads to oxidative stress that causes cell death. ..
- Aronis A, Madar Z, Tirosh O. Lipotoxic effects of triacylglycerols in J774.2 macrophages. Nutrition. 2008;24:167-76 pubmed publisher..This study for the first time can explain at a cellular level how TGs as an independent risk factor aggravate atherosclerotic outcomes. ..
- Feine I, Pinkas I, Salomon Y, Scherz A. Local oxidative stress expansion through endothelial cells--a key role for gap junction intercellular communication. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41633 pubmed publisher..Localized oxidative insults propagate through GJIC between ECs, while stimulating de-novo generation of ROS and RNS in bystander cells, thereby driving the insult's expansion. ..
- Uziel O, Reshef H, Ravid A, Fabian I, Halperin D, Ram R, et al. Oxidative stress causes telomere damage in Fanconi anaemia cells - a possible predisposition for malignant transformation. Br J Haematol. 2008;142:82-93 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of telomerase activity in sporadic FA cells may perpetuate that process, thus explaining the malignant character of FA cells in vivo. ..
- Kalo E, Kogan Sakin I, Solomon H, Bar Nathan E, Shay M, Shetzer Y, et al. Mutant p53R273H attenuates the expression of phase 2 detoxifying enzymes and promotes the survival of cells with high levels of reactive oxygen species. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5578-86 pubmed publisher..These activities are attributable to mutant p53(R273H) gain of function and might underlie its well-documented oncogenic nature in human cancer. ..
- Mazor R, Itzhaki O, Sela S, Yagil Y, Cohen Mazor M, Yagil C, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha: a possible priming agent for the polymorphonuclear leukocyte-reduced nicotinamide-adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase in hypertension. Hypertension. 2010;55:353-62 pubmed publisher..9+/-1.5%; P<0.01). Tumor necrosis factor-alpha plays a role in activation of the polymorphonuclear leukocyte NADPH oxidase, thereby contributing to systemic OS, inflammation, and the development of hypertension in this model. ..
- Neta Sharir I, Isaacson T, Lurie S, Weiss D. Dual role for tomato heat shock protein 21: protecting photosystem II from oxidative stress and promoting color changes during fruit maturation. Plant Cell. 2005;17:1829-38 pubmed..This study demonstrates that a sHSP plays a role in plant development under normal growth conditions, in addition to its protective effect under stress conditions. ..
- Izigov N, Farzam N, Savion N. S-allylmercapto-N-acetylcysteine up-regulates cellular glutathione and protects vascular endothelial cells from oxidative stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:1131-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ASSNAC is superior to NAC in protecting cells from oxidative stress because of its ability to up-regulate both GSH and the expression of phase II detoxifying enzymes...
- Ovadia H, Haim Y, Nov O, Almog O, Kovsan J, Bashan N, et al. Increased adipocyte S-nitrosylation targets anti-lipolytic action of insulin: relevance to adipose tissue dysfunction in obesity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:30433-43 pubmed publisher..Collectively, PDE3B and the anti-lipolytic action of insulin may constitute novel targets for increased S-nitrosylation of adipose tissue in obesity. ..
- Lerner A, Okon Y, Burdman S. The wzm gene located on the pRhico plasmid of Azospirillum brasilense Sp7 is involved in lipopolysaccharide synthesis. Microbiology. 2009;155:791-804 pubmed publisher..As LPS plays an important role in cell envelope structural integrity, we propose that the pleiotropic phenotypic changes observed in the wzm mutant are due to its altered LPS relative to the wild-type...
- Tavori H, Aviram M, Khatib S, Musa R, Mannheim D, Karmeli R, et al. Paraoxonase 1 protects macrophages from atherogenicity of a specific triglyceride isolated from human carotid lesion. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;51:234-42 pubmed publisher..Lipid peroxide in the triglyceride can also facilitate lipid autoxidation. Both atherogenic pathways are suppressed by PON1, which acts as an antiatherogenic element. ..
- Carmeli E, Harpaz Y, Kogan N, Fogelman Y. The effect of an endogenous antioxidant glabridin on oxidized LDL. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2008;19:49-63 pubmed..We conclude that the dietary consumption of glabridin can partially protect LDL from oxidation...
- Gotloib L, Wajsbrot V, Shostak A. A short review of experimental peritoneal sclerosis: from mice to men. Int J Artif Organs. 2005;28:97-104 pubmed..It is concluded that peritoneal sclerosis derives mostly from sustained oxidative injury to the peritoneal membrane. Loss of the mesothelial monolayer is the first step in the chain of events leading to this complication...
- Solomon A, Golubowicz S, Yablowicz Z, Bergman M, Grossman S, Altman A, et al. Protection of fibroblasts (NIH-3T3) against oxidative damage by cyanidin-3-rhamnoglucoside isolated from fig fruits (Ficus carica L.). J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:6660-5 pubmed publisher..The high antioxidant potential, with several modes of action of purified C3R, may contribute to health benefits gained by the consumption of fresh fig fruits...
- Portugal Cohen M, Numa R, Yaka R, Kohen R. Cocaine induces oxidative damage to skin via xanthine oxidase and nitric oxide synthase. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;58:105-12 pubmed publisher..Our study therefore, suggests additional metabolic outcomes of cocaine due to its ability to enhance oxidative stress in skin. ..
- Lev N, Ickowicz D, Barhum Y, Lev S, Melamed E, Offen D. DJ-1 protects against dopamine toxicity. J Neural Transm (Vienna). 2009;116:151-60 pubmed publisher..This mechanism elucidates how mutations in DJ-1 prompt PD and imply that modulation of DJ-1 may serve as a novel neuroprotective modality. ..
- Arraf Z, Amit T, Youdim M, Farah R. Lithium and oxidative stress lessons from the MPTP model of Parkinson's disease. Neurosci Lett. 2012;516:57-61 pubmed publisher..In agreement; we found that lithium lacks immediate antioxidant activity using the in vitro lipid peroxidation essay indicating that not acute but chronic treatment with lithium allows cells to deal better with oxidative stress...
- Szuchman A, Aviram M, Musa R, Khatib S, Vaya J. Characterization of oxidative stress in blood from diabetic vs. hypercholesterolaemic patients, using a novel synthesized marker. Biomarkers. 2008;13:119-31 pubmed..The use of an exogenous marker to characterize OS in blood samples yields important information on the extent of OS, and can provide a fingerprint for the early identification of different pathological conditions associated with OS. ..
- Basel Vanagaite L, Dallapiccola B, Ramirez Solis R, Segref A, Thiele H, Edwards A, et al. Deficiency for the ubiquitin ligase UBE3B in a blepharophimosis-ptosis-intellectual-disability syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2012;91:998-1010 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal the pleiotropic effects of UBE3B deficiency and reinforce the physiological importance of ubiquitination in neuronal development and function in mammals. ..
- Ben Romano R, Rudich A, Etzion S, Potashnik R, Kagan E, Greenbaum U, et al. Nelfinavir induces adipocyte insulin resistance through the induction of oxidative stress: differential protective effect of antioxidant agents. Antivir Ther. 2006;11:1051-60 pubmed..The results may suggest a new mechanism for the adverse effects of NFV on fat cells, and offer potential new intervention approaches. ..
- Rosenwasser S, Graff van Creveld S, Schatz D, Malitsky S, Tzfadia O, Aharoni A, et al. Mapping the diatom redox-sensitive proteome provides insight into response to nitrogen stress in the marine environment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:2740-5 pubmed publisher..We propose that redox regulation of nitrogen metabolism allows rapid metabolic plasticity to ensure cellular homeostasis, and thus is essential for the ecological success of diatoms in the marine ecosystem. ..
- Lev N, Ickowicz D, Barhum Y, Blondheim N, Melamed E, Offen D. Experimental encephalomyelitis induces changes in DJ-1: implications for oxidative stress in multiple sclerosis. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2006;8:1987-95 pubmed..In view of the accumulating evidence on the central role of oxidative stress in MS, and the importance of DJ-1 in oxidative stress management by the CNS, we believe that DJ-1 will be found to have a central role in MS. ..
- Anavi S, Harmelin N, Madar Z, Tirosh O. Oxidative stress impairs HIF1? activation: a novel mechanism for increased vulnerability of steatotic hepatocytes to hypoxic stress. Free Radic Biol Med. 2012;52:1531-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, hypoxia in combination with hepatic steatosis was shown to promote augmented oxidative stress, leading to NF-?B inactivation and impaired HIF1? induction and thereby increased susceptibility to hypoxic injury. ..
- Aharoni Simon M, Hann Obercyger M, Pen S, Madar Z, Tirosh O. Fatty liver is associated with impaired activity of PPAR?-coactivator 1? (PGC1?) and mitochondrial biogenesis in mice. Lab Invest. 2011;91:1018-28 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates, for the first time, that attenuated mitochondrial biogenesis in steatotic livers is associated with impaired biological activity of PGC1?. ..
- Potashnik R, Bloch Damti A, Bashan N, Rudich A. IRS1 degradation and increased serine phosphorylation cannot predict the degree of metabolic insulin resistance induced by oxidative stress. Diabetologia. 2003;46:639-48 pubmed..Oxidative stress induces serine phosphorylation of IRS1 and increases its degradation by a proteasome-independent pathway; yet, these changes do not correlate with the induction of impaired metabolic response to insulin. ..
- Faltin Z, Holland D, Velcheva M, Tsapovetsky M, Roeckel Drevet P, Handa A, et al. Glutathione peroxidase regulation of reactive oxygen species level is crucial for in vitro plant differentiation. Plant Cell Physiol. 2010;51:1151-62 pubmed publisher..Our results clearly demonstrate the essential role of ROS in the early stages of in vitro shoot organogenesis and the possible involvement of PHGPx in maintaining ROS homeostasis at this point. ..
- Affek H, Yakir D. Protection by isoprene against singlet oxygen in leaves. Plant Physiol. 2002;129:269-77 pubmed..77 to 0.27). The internal isoprene concentrations used in this study and possible rate of 1O2 production in leaves indicate that the protective effects observed should be beneficial also under natural conditions...
- Gotloib L. The mesothelium under the siege of dialysis solutions: old glucose, new glucose, and glucose-free osmotic agents. Adv Perit Dial. 2009;25:6-10 pubmed..Icodextrin does not appear to be more biocompatible than glucose. Amino-acid-based solution is less harmful to the mesothelium, but its usefulness is still limited...
- Rosenberg E, Ben Shmuel A, Shalev O, Sinay R, Cowman A, Pollack Y. Differential, positional-dependent transcriptional response of antigenic variation (var) genes to biological stress in Plasmodium falciparum. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6991 pubmed publisher..As disease severity is partly associated with expression of particular var gene subtypes, manipulation of the IE environment may serve as a mechanism to direct transcription towards less virulent genes. ..
- Cohen I, Sapir Y, Shapira M. A conserved mechanism controls translation of Rubisco large subunit in different photosynthetic organisms. Plant Physiol. 2006;141:1089-97 pubmed publisher..In the case that regulation of type I and type II Rubisco is conserved, the SSU does not appear to be directly involved in LSU translation...
- Rock W, Rosenblat M, Miller Lotan R, Levy A, Elias M, Aviram M. Consumption of wonderful variety pomegranate juice and extract by diabetic patients increases paraoxonase 1 association with high-density lipoprotein and stimulates its catalytic activities. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:8704-13 pubmed publisher..These beneficial effects of pomegranate consumption on serum PON1 stability and activity could lead to retardation of atherosclerosis development in diabetic patients. ..
- Goldental Cohen S, Burstein C, Biton I, Ben Sasson S, Sadeh A, Many Y, et al. Ethephon induced oxidative stress in the olive leaf abscission zone enables development of a selective abscission compound. BMC Plant Biol. 2017;17:87 pubmed publisher..Hence, this selective abscission treatment may be used in turn to promote mechanized harvest of olives. ..
- Hayon T, Dvilansky A, Oriev L, Nathan I. Non-steroidal antiestrogens induce apoptosis in HL60 and MOLT3 leukemic cells; involvement of reactive oxygen radicals and protein kinase C. Anticancer Res. 1999;19:2089-93 pubmed..Triphenylethylene antiestrogens and their derivatives may be used as antileukemic drugs which kill cells by apoptosis mediated by oxidative stress and activation of PKC. ..
- Brand A, Gil S, Seger R, Yavin E. Lipid constituents in oligodendroglial cells alter susceptibility to H2O2-induced apoptotic cell death via ERK activation. J Neurochem. 2001;76:910-8 pubmed..Thus, the membrane lipid composition ultimately modulates ERK activation and translocation and therefore can promote or prevent apoptotic cell death...
- Steingart R, Solomon B, Brenneman D, Fridkin M, Gozes I. VIP and peptides related to activity-dependent neurotrophic factor protect PC12 cells against oxidative stress. J Mol Neurosci. 2000;15:137-45 pubmed..Furthermore, addition of an ADNF-9 antibody prevented the ability of VIP to protect against oxidative stress, suggesting that VIP protection is partially mediated via an ADNF-like protein. ..
- Lev N, Roncevic D, Roncevich D, Ickowicz D, Melamed E, Offen D. Role of DJ-1 in Parkinson's disease. J Mol Neurosci. 2006;29:215-25 pubmed..This article reviews the current knowledge on DJ-1, focusing on its importance in the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Asher G, Bercovich Z, Tsvetkov P, Shaul Y, Kahana C. 20S proteasomal degradation of ornithine decarboxylase is regulated by NQO1. Mol Cell. 2005;17:645-55 pubmed..Finally, we show that the regulation of ODC stability by NQO1 is especially prominent under oxidative stress. Our findings assign to NQO1 a role in regulating ubiquitin-independent degradation of ODC by the 20S proteasomes. ..
- Efrati S, Berman S, Hamad R, Siman Tov Y, Ilgiyaev E, Maslyakov I, et al. Effect of captopril treatment on recuperation from ischemia/reperfusion-induced acute renal injury. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2012;27:136-45 pubmed publisher..Concurrently, ACE inhibition exacerbated intrarenal hypoxia and accelerated oxidative stress, indicating that renal adaptation to some consequences of ischemia does require bioavailability of RAS components. ..
- Sagi O, Wolfson M, Utko N, Muradian K, Fraifeld V. p66ShcA and ageing: modulation by longevity-promoting agent aurintricarboxylic acid. Mech Ageing Dev. 2005;126:249-54 pubmed..The results support the suggested role for the p66ShcA as one of the lifespan determinants in mammals; p66ShcA therefore represents a potential target for pharmacological longevity-promoting intervention. ..
- Uziel O, Borovok I, Schreiber R, Cohen G, Aharonowitz Y. Transcriptional regulation of the Staphylococcus aureus thioredoxin and thioredoxin reductase genes in response to oxygen and disulfide stress. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:326-34 pubmed..This observation, coupled with structural differences between the bacterial and mammalian thioredoxin reductases, suggests that it may serve as a target for the development of new antimicrobials...
- Mitchell A, Romano G, Groisman B, Yona A, Dekel E, Kupiec M, et al. Adaptive prediction of environmental changes by microorganisms. Nature. 2009;460:220-4 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that environmental anticipation is an adaptive trait that was repeatedly selected for during evolution and thus may be ubiquitous in biology. ..
- Kuperstein F, Brand A, Yavin E. Amyloid Abeta1-40 preconditions non-apoptotic signals in vivo and protects fetal rat brain from intrauterine ischemic stress. J Neurochem. 2004;91:965-74 pubmed..These data suggest that pre-exposure to Abeta(1-40) stimulates fetal tolerance to ischemia via regulation of GSH metabolism and as such may be considered as neuroprotective. ..
- Zigdon H, Kogot Levin A, Park J, Goldschmidt R, Kelly S, Merrill A, et al. Ablation of ceramide synthase 2 causes chronic oxidative stress due to disruption of the mitochondrial respiratory chain. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4947-56 pubmed publisher..These results are of relevance for understanding modulation of ROS signaling by sphingolipids. ..
- Vitner E, Platt F, Futerman A. Common and uncommon pathogenic cascades in lysosomal storage diseases. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20423-7 pubmed publisher..We now review how these cascades impact upon LSD pathology and suggest how intervention in the pathways may lead to novel therapeutic approaches...
- Hochman A, Sternin H, Gorodin S, Korsmeyer S, Ziv I, Melamed E, et al. Enhanced oxidative stress and altered antioxidants in brains of Bcl-2-deficient mice. J Neurochem. 1998;71:741-8 pubmed..It is concluded that Bcl-2 affects cellular levels of ROS, which may be due to an effect either on their production or on antioxidant pathways. ..
- Hochman A, Liang H, Offen D, Melamed E, Sternin H. Developmental changes in antioxidant enzymes and oxidative damage in kidneys, liver and brain of bcl-2 knockout mice. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2000;46:41-52 pubmed..Such changes are tissue specific with respect to age, magnitude and type of enzyme affected. ..
- Pessler Cohen D, Pekala P, Kovsan J, Bloch Damti A, Rudich A, Bashan N. GLUT4 repression in response to oxidative stress is associated with reciprocal alterations in C/EBP alpha and delta isoforms in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Arch Physiol Biochem. 2006;112:3-12 pubmed..We propose that oxidative stress induces adipocyte insulin resistance partially by affecting the expression of C/EBPalpha and delta, resulting in altered C/EBP-dimer composition potentially occupying the GLUT4 promoter. ..
- Chkhikvishvili I, Sanikidze T, Gogia N, McHedlishvili T, Enukidze M, Machavariani M, et al. Rosmarinic acid-rich extracts of summer savory (Satureja hortensis L.) protect Jurkat T cells against oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:456253 pubmed publisher..hortensis extract or rosmarinic acid fraction. The H2O2-challenged Jurkat cells may serve as a model for investigating cellular mechanisms of cytoprotective phytonutrient effects...
- Rosenwasser S, Fluhr R, Joshi J, Leviatan N, Sela N, Hetzroni A, et al. ROSMETER: a bioinformatic tool for the identification of transcriptomic imprints related to reactive oxygen species type and origin provides new insights into stress responses. Plant Physiol. 2013;163:1071-83 pubmed publisher..The ROSMETER platform can assist in formulating hypotheses to delineate the role of ROS in plant acclimation to environmental stress conditions and to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of the oxidative stress response in plants. ..
- Gafter Gvili A, Zingerman B, Rozen Zvi B, Ori Y, Green H, Lubin I, et al. Oxidative stress-induced DNA damage and repair in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: protective role of hemoglobin. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68341 pubmed publisher..DNA repair is a cellular defence mechanism responding to DNA damage caused in large part by oxidative stress. There is a controversy with regard to the effect of red blood cells on DNA damage and cellular response...
- Vaya J, Song W, Khatib S, Geng G, Schipper H. Effects of heme oxygenase-1 expression on sterol homeostasis in rat astroglia. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:864-71 pubmed..g., beta-amyloid) into altered patterns of glial sterol metabolism which, in turn, may affect neuronal membrane turnover, survival, and adaptability. ..
- Eisenberg Lerner A, Kimchi A. DAP kinase regulates JNK signaling by binding and activating protein kinase D under oxidative stress. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1908-15 pubmed..Taken together, these findings establish a major role for DAPk and its specific interaction with PKD in regulating the JNK signaling network under oxidative stress. ..
- Gorovits R, Czosnek H. Expression of stress gene networks in tomato lines susceptible and resistant to Tomato yellow leaf curl virus in response to abiotic stresses. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2008;46:482-92 pubmed publisher..The higher abundance of HSPs and MAPKs in tomatoes resistant to TYLCV could result in enhanced defense capacity against abiotic stresses. ..
- Lev N, Ickowicz D, Melamed E, Offen D. Oxidative insults induce DJ-1 upregulation and redistribution: implications for neuroprotection. Neurotoxicology. 2008;29:397-405 pubmed publisher..These results may imply that DJ-1 plays an important role in the neuronal defense mechanism against oxidative insults. ..
- Gotloib L. Mechanisms of cell death during peritoneal dialysis. A role for osmotic and oxidative stress. Contrib Nephrol. 2009;163:35-44 pubmed publisher..To offer a condensed description of the modes of cell death and the involved mechanisms behind them as detected in the different layers of the peritoneal tissue during experimental and clinical, long-term peritoneal dialysis (PD)...
- Farago M, Nahari T, Hammel C, Cole C, Choder M. Rpb4p, a subunit of RNA polymerase II, mediates mRNA export during stress. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2744-55 pubmed..Both functions of Rpb4p are required to maintain cell viability during stress. We propose that Rpb4p participates in the cellular responses to stress at the interface of the transcription and the export machineries. ..
- Matityahu I, Kachan L, Bar Ilan I, Amir R. Transgenic tobacco plants overexpressing the Met25 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae exhibit enhanced levels of cysteine and glutathione and increased tolerance to oxidative stress. Amino Acids. 2006;30:185-94 pubmed..5-fold glutathione levels in these plants. In addition, the leaf discs of the transgenic plants were more tolerant to toxic levels of sulphite, and to paraquat, an herbicide generating active oxygen species. ..
- Belkin S, Smulski D, Vollmer A, Van Dyk T, LaRossa R. Oxidative stress detection with Escherichia coli harboring a katG'::lux fusion. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1996;62:2252-6 pubmed
- Eisenberg Lerner A, Kimchi A. PKD is a kinase of Vps34 that mediates ROS-induced autophagy downstream of DAPk. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:788-97 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results describe PKD as a novel Vps34 kinase that functions as an effecter of autophagy under oxidative stress. ..