Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on oxidation reduction in Australia
Topic: oxidation reduction
- Vrielink A, Ghisla S. Cholesterol oxidase: biochemistry and structural features. FEBS J. 2009;276:6826-43 pubmed publisher..The presence of a molecular tunnel that is proposed to serve in the access of dioxygen to the active site and mechanisms of its control by a 'gate' formed by amino acid residues are highlighted. ..
- Hambley T, Battle A, Deacon G, Lawrenz E, Fallon G, Gatehouse B, et al. Modifying the properties of platinum (IV) complexes in order to increase biological effectiveness. J Inorg Biochem. 1999;77:3-12 pubmed..Reduction potentials and in vitro activities showed no obvious correlations. Moderate to high activity was observed for many complexes in the series, including some of those that were very difficult to reduce. ..
- Hawkins C, Morgan P, Davies M. Quantification of protein modification by oxidants. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:965-88 pubmed publisher..Detailed methods sheets are provided for many of these techniques. ..
- Birzniece V, Meinhardt U, Handelsman D, Ho K. Testosterone stimulates extra-hepatic but not hepatic fat oxidation (Fox): comparison of oral and transdermal testosterone administration in hypopituitary men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009;71:715-21 pubmed publisher..Short-term testosterone administration does not stimulate hepatic fat oxidation but enhances whole body fat oxidation by acting on extra-hepatic tissues. ..
- Lam M, Pattison D, Bottle S, Keddie D, Davies M. Nitric oxide and nitroxides can act as efficient scavengers of protein-derived free radicals. Chem Res Toxicol. 2008;21:2111-9 pubmed publisher..These reactions show little dependence on nitroxide structure or charge...
- Butler A, Murray M. Biotransformation of parathion in human liver: participation of CYP3A4 and its inactivation during microsomal parathion oxidation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1997;280:966-73 pubmed..In view of the role of this enzyme in the oxidation of many therapeutic agents, exposure to phosphorothioate pesticides may adversely affect drug elimination in humans. ..
- Plan M, Goransson U, Clark R, Daly N, Colgrave M, Craik D. The cyclotide fingerprint in oldenlandia affinis: elucidation of chemically modified, linear and novel macrocyclic peptides. Chembiochem. 2007;8:1001-11 pubmed..These pathways have important implications for the persistence and environmental fate of the cyclotides if used as crop-protection agents...
- Bernardo P, Chai C, Heath G, Mahon P, Smith G, Waring P, et al. Synthesis, electrochemistry, and bioactivity of the cyanobacterial calothrixins and related quinones. J Med Chem. 2004;47:4958-63 pubmed..6 microM undergo reduction to their respective semiquinones readily, with their E(1/2) values being more positive than -0.5 V versus the standard hydrogen electrode (SHE). ..
- Gracanin M, Davies M. Inhibition of protein tyrosine phosphatases by amino acid, peptide, and protein hydroperoxides: potential modulation of cell signaling by protein oxidation products. Free Radic Biol Med. 2007;42:1543-51 pubmed..This inhibition of PTPs, by oxidized proteins containing hydroperoxide groups, may contribute to cellular dysfunction and altered redox signaling in systems subject to oxidative stress. ..
- Pankhurst G, Wang X, Wilcken D, Baernthaler G, Panzenböck U, Raftery M, et al. Characterization of specifically oxidized apolipoproteins in mildly oxidized high density lipoprotein. J Lipid Res. 2003;44:349-55 pubmed..Our results show that during the early stages, oxidation of HDL gives rise to specifically oxidized forms of apoA-I and apoA-II, some of which may be useful markers of in vivo HDL oxidation, and hence potentially atherosclerosis. ..
- Harding M, Grummitt A. 9-hydroxyellipticine and derivatives as chemotherapy agents. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2003;3:67-76 pubmed..Derivatisation at the 2- and 9-positions has lead to significant improvements in the in vivo activity of the 9-hydroxyellipticine derivatives and has provided important insights into the mechanism of action of these compounds. ..
- Addison R, Parker Scott S, Eadie M, Hooper W, Dickinson R. Steady-state dispositions of valproate and diflunisal alone and coadministered to healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2000;56:715-21 pubmed..Rather, the interactions detected appeared to be renal in nature, with renal clearance of 3-oxo-VPA being reduced by DF coadministration, and renal clearance of DPG and perhaps DAG being increased by VPA coadministration. ..
- Jarvis K, Barnes T, Prestidge C. Thermal oxidation for controlling protein interactions with porous silicon. Langmuir. 2010;26:14316-22 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the negative charge and globular structure of HSA resulted in a loss of structure. We have demonstrated that thermal oxidation of pSi can be used to control protein interactions, adsorbed structure, and bioactivity. ..
- Ridge J, Lin M, Larsen E, Fegan M, McEwan A, Sly L. A multicopper oxidase is essential for manganese oxidation and laccase-like activity in Pedomicrobium sp. ACM 3067. Environ Microbiol. 2007;9:944-53 pubmed..These results suggest that moxBA and its homologues constitute a family of genes encoding an MCO and a predicted component of the Type I secretion system. ..
- Morgan P, Sturgess A, Hennessy A, Davies M. Serum protein oxidation and apolipoprotein CIII levels in people with systemic lupus erythematosus with and without nephritis. Free Radic Res. 2007;41:1301-12 pubmed..Total apoCIII levels (assessed by ELISA) in lupus nephritis patients were significantly elevated compared to controls or non-renal SLE patients. Thus, levels of oxidized proteins and apoCIII may be useful biomarkers in SLE studies. ..
- Morris A, Treweek T, Aquilina J, Carver J, Walker M. Glutamic acid residues in the C-terminal extension of small heat shock protein 25 are critical for structural and functional integrity. FEBS J. 2008;275:5885-98 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that each of the glutamic acid residues in the C-terminal extension is important for Hsp25 to act as an effective molecular chaperone. ..
- Figtree G, Liu C, Bibert S, Hamilton E, Garcia A, White C, et al. Reversible oxidative modification: a key mechanism of Na+-K+ pump regulation. Circ Res. 2009;105:185-93 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for pathophysiological conditions characterized by neurohormonal dysregulation, myocardial oxidative stress and raised myocyte Na(+) levels...
- Wilson J, Kappler U. Sulfite oxidation in Sinorhizobium meliloti. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1787:1516-25 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analysis of SorT-related SOEs and enzymes of taurine degradation indicate that there is no link between the two processes...
- Hoehn K, Turner N, Swarbrick M, Wilks D, Preston E, Phua Y, et al. Acute or chronic upregulation of mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation has no net effect on whole-body energy expenditure or adiposity. Cell Metab. 2010;11:70-6 pubmed publisher..We conclude that negative energy balance is a prerequisite for weight reduction, and increased fatty acid oxidation per se has little, if any, effect to reduce adiposity. ..
- Reidy G, Mehta I, Murray M. Inhibition of oxidative drug metabolism by orphenadrine: in vitro and in vivo evidence for isozyme-specific complexation of cytochrome P-450 and inhibition kinetics. Mol Pharmacol. 1989;35:736-43 pubmed..Western blots of orphenadrine-induced microsomes revealed a 20-fold increase in P-450 PB-B/D-immunoreactive protein.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS)..
- Edeling M, Ahuja U, Heras B, Thöny Meyer L, Martin J. The acidic nature of the CcmG redox-active center is important for cytochrome c maturation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:4030-3 pubmed..One of these genes, ccmG, encodes a thioredoxin-like protein with unusually specific redox activity. Here, we investigate the basis for CcmG function and demonstrate the importance of acidic residues surrounding the redox-active center. ..
- Chong B, Nielsen L. Amplifying the cellular reduction potential of Streptococcus zooepidemicus. J Biotechnol. 2003;100:33-41 pubmed..The concomitant excretion of pyruvate at high NADH oxidase levels suggested that the flux through the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzyme complex was limiting the conversion of pyruvate to acetate...
- Kappler U, McEwan A. A system for the heterologous expression of complex redox proteins in Rhodobacter capsulatus: characterisation of recombinant sulphite:cytochrome c oxidoreductase from Starkeya novella. FEBS Lett. 2002;529:208-14 pubmed..The pDorEX system therefore seems to be potentially useful for heterologous expression of multi-subunit proteins containing complex redox cofactors. ..
- Huston W, Jennings M, McEwan A. The multicopper oxidase of Pseudomonas aeruginosa is a ferroxidase with a central role in iron acquisition. Mol Microbiol. 2002;45:1741-50 pubmed..In view of the widespread distribution of the mco gene in bacteria, it is suggested that an iron acquisition mechanism involving multicopper oxidases may be an important and hitherto unrecognized feature of bacterial pathogenicity...
- James M, van Reyk D, Rye K, Dean R, Cleland L, Barter P, et al. Low density lipoprotein of synovial fluid in inflammatory joint disease is mildly oxidized. Lipids. 1998;33:1115-21 pubmed..Thus, extensive LDL oxidation is not a necessary correlate of location in a chronic inflammatory site, even though it is characteristic of atherosclerotic lesions. ..
- Sampson R, Perkins M. Total synthesis of (-)-(6S,7S,8S,9R,10S,2'S)-membrenone-A and (-)-(6S,7S,8S,9R,10S)- membrenone-B and structural assignment of membrenone-C. Org Lett. 2002;4:1655-8 pubmed..We have thus established that synthetic (-)-(6S,7S,8S,9R,10S,2'S)-membrenone-A, (-)-(6S,7S,8S,9R,10S)-membrenone-B, and (-)-(6S,7S,8S,9R,10S)-membrenone-C are the enantiomers of the natural products. ..
- Edeling M, Guddat L, Fabianek R, Th ny Meyer L, Martin J. Structure of CcmG/DsbE at 1.14 A resolution: high-fidelity reducing activity in an indiscriminately oxidizing environment. Structure. 2002;10:973-9 pubmed..Two unique structural features of CcmG-an acidic active site and an adjacent groove-appear to be necessary to convert an indiscriminately binding scaffold, the TRX fold, into a highly specific redox protein...
- Jones A, Chantrill L. Oxidative metabolic activity of boar spermatozoa: a system for assessing anti-glycolytic activity of potential inhibitors in vitro. Reprod Fertil Dev. 1989;1:357-67 pubmed..The effects of several chemical agents on the oxidative metabolism of boar spermatozoa are reported...
- Dyne J, Lin Y, Lai L, Ginges J, Luais E, Peterson J, et al. Some more observations on the unique electrochemical properties of electrode-monolayer-nanoparticle constructs. Chemphyschem. 2010;11:2807-13 pubmed publisher..The variation in rate constant however is insufficient to attribute the "switching on" phenomenon to a possible adsorption of the redox species onto the nanoparticles. ..
- Gurvitz A, Rottensteiner H, Kilpeläinen S, Hartig A, Hiltunen J, Binder M, et al. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae peroxisomal 2,4-dienoyl-CoA reductase is encoded by the oleate-inducible gene SPS19. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:22140-7 pubmed..SPS19 is dispensable for growth and sporulation on solid acetate and oleate media, but is essential for these processes to occur on petroselineate. ..
- Marshall K, Nash K, Haussman G, Cassady I, Hume D, de Jersey J, et al. Recombinant human and mouse purple acid phosphatases: expression and characterization. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1997;345:230-6 pubmed..The implications of the results for the physiological function of the enzyme are discussed. ..
- Rees M, Whitelock J, Malle E, Chuang C, Iozzo R, Nilasaroya A, et al. Myeloperoxidase-derived oxidants selectively disrupt the protein core of the heparan sulfate proteoglycan perlecan. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:63-73 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data highlight the potential role of perlecan oxidation, and consequent deregulation of cell function, in vascular injuries by myeloperoxidase-derived HOCl and HOBr...
- Burke L, Angus D, Cox G, Cummings N, Febbraio M, Gawthorn K, et al. Effect of fat adaptation and carbohydrate restoration on metabolism and performance during prolonged cycling. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000;89:2413-21 pubmed..However, there was no evidence of a clear benefit of fat adaptation to cycling performance...
- Thorne R, Mhaidat N, Ralston K, Burns G. CD36 is a receptor for oxidized high density lipoprotein: implications for the development of atherosclerosis. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1227-32 pubmed..The uptake of oxHDL displayed morphological and biochemical similarities with the CD36-dependent uptake of oxidized LDL. CD36-mediated uptake of oxidized HDL by macrophage may therefore contribute to atheroma formation. ..
- Rooney M, Honeychurch M, Selvaraj F, Blankenship R, Bond A, Freeman H. A thin-film electrochemical study of the "blue" copper proteins, auracyanin A and auracyanin B, from the photosynthetic bacterium Chloroflexus aurantiacus: the reduction potential as a function of pH. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2003;8:306-17 pubmed..The findings are discussed in relation to the putative role of auracyanin in biological electron transfer. ..
- Heras B, Edeling M, Schirra H, Raina S, Martin J. Crystal structures of the DsbG disulfide isomerase reveal an unstable disulfide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8876-81 pubmed..This finding suggests that, rather than catalyzing disulfide rearrangement in unfolded substrates, DsbG may preferentially act later in the folding process to catalyze disulfide rearrangement in folded or partially folded proteins. ..
- Kappler U, Sly L, McEwan A. Respiratory gene clusters of Metallosphaera sedula - differential expression and transcriptional organization. Microbiology. 2005;151:35-43 pubmed..The data show for the first time the differential expression of the Sulfolobus-type terminal oxidase gene clusters in a Crenarchaeon in response to changing growth modes...
- Prommer H, Tuxen N, Bjerg P. Fringe-controlled natural attenuation of phenoxy acids in a landfill plume: integration of field-scale processes by reactive transport modeling. Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:4732-8 pubmed
- Favaloro J, Kemp Harper B. The nitroxyl anion (HNO) is a potent dilator of rat coronary vasculature. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;73:587-96 pubmed..This study investigates the vasodilator and chronotropic effects of HNO in the rat isolated coronary vasculature...
- Mu Y, Rabaey K, Rozendal R, Yuan Z, Keller J. Decolorization of azo dyes in bioelectrochemical systems. Environ Sci Technol. 2009;43:5137-43 pubmed