Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on organic anion transporters in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: organic anion transporters
- Al Bataineh M, Van der Merwe D, Schultz B, Gehring R. Molecular and functional identification of organic anion transporter isoforms in cultured bovine mammary epithelial cells (BME-UV). J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2012;35:209-15 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BME-UV cells express an organic anion transport system, making it a potentially useful model to study the role of this transport system in the mammary epithelial barrier. ..
- Marion C, Aten A, Woodiga S, King S. Identification of an ATPase, MsmK, which energizes multiple carbohydrate ABC transporters in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Infect Immun. 2011;79:4193-200 pubmed publisher..Together, these data imply that in vivo, MsmK energizes multiple carbohydrate transporters in S. pneumoniae. This is the first demonstration of a shared ATPase in a pathogenic bacterium. ..
- Daily A, Monks N, Leggas M, Moscow J. Abrogation of microcystin cytotoxicity by MAP kinase inhibitors and N-acetyl cysteine is confounded by OATPIB1 uptake activity inhibition. Toxicon. 2010;55:827-37 pubmed publisher..Finally, growth of OATP1B1-expressing HeLa xenografts was inhibited by MCLR, suggesting that MCLR structural analogs selected for a broader therapeutic index could target OATP-expressing tumors. ..
- Yang C, Glover K, Han X. Characterization of cellular uptake of perfluorooctanoate via organic anion-transporting polypeptide 1A2, organic anion transporter 4, and urate transporter 1 for their potential roles in mediating human renal reabsorption of perfluorocarboxylates. Toxicol Sci. 2010;117:294-302 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that OAT4 and URAT1 are key transporters in renal reabsorption of PFCs in humans and, as a result, may contribute significantly to the long half-life of PFO in humans. ..
- Li N, Hartley D, Cherrington N, Klaassen C. Tissue expression, ontogeny, and inducibility of rat organic anion transporting polypeptide 4. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2002;301:551-60 pubmed
- Marion C, Burnaugh A, Woodiga S, King S. Sialic acid transport contributes to pneumococcal colonization. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1262-9 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates that S. pneumoniae is able to use sialic acid as a sole carbon source and that utilization of sialic acid is likely important during pneumococcal colonization. ..
- Dreisbach A. The influence of chronic renal failure on drug metabolism and transport. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2009;86:553-6 pubmed publisher..High levels of parathyroid hormone (PTH), cytokines, and uremic toxins are implicated in some of these effects, which have a clinically significant impact on drug disposition and increase the risk of adverse drug reaction. ..
- Nolin T. Altered nonrenal drug clearance in ESRD. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2008;17:555-9 pubmed publisher..Drugs undergoing nonrenal clearance need to be identified, novel approaches to predict their pharmacokinetic behavior are needed, and dosing guidelines must be developed to optimize outcomes in patients with ESRD. ..
- Mager S, Kleinberger Doron N, Keshet G, Davidson N, Kanner B, Lester H. Ion binding and permeation at the GABA transporter GAT1. J Neurosci. 1996;16:5405-14 pubmed
- Roth M, Timmermann B, Hagenbuch B. Interactions of green tea catechins with organic anion-transporting polypeptides. Drug Metab Dispos. 2011;39:920-6 pubmed publisher..In addition, the diverse effects of EGCG on the transport of other OATP1B3 substrates suggest that different transport/binding sites are involved. ..
- Almagro Moreno S, Boyd E. Insights into the evolution of sialic acid catabolism among bacteria. BMC Evol Biol. 2009;9:118 pubmed publisher..The Nan region shows a mosaic evolution with NanA from Bacteroidetes, Vibrio and Yersinia branching closely together with NanA from eukaryotes. ..
- Zhang Y, Han Y, Putluru S, Matta M, Kole P, Mandlekar S, et al. Diclofenac and Its Acyl Glucuronide: Determination of In Vivo Exposure in Human Subjects and Characterization as Human Drug Transporter Substrates In Vitro. Drug Metab Dispos. 2016;44:320-8 pubmed publisher..DF-AG is unstable in plasma and undergoes conversion to parent DF. Therefore, caution is warranted when assessing renal and hepatic transporter-mediated drug-drug interactions with DF and DF-AG. ..
- Armstrong K, Chamberlin H. Coordinate regulation of gene expression in the C. elegans excretory cell by the POU domain protein CEH-6. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:73-87 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that a role for POU-III factors in renal organs is to coordinate the expression of a set of functionally related genes. ..
- Jayasena C, Trinh L, Bronner M. Live imaging of endogenous periodic tryptophan protein 2 gene homologue during zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2578-83 pubmed publisher..This Pwp2h protein trap line offers a powerful tool to study the link between ribosome biogenesis and cell cycle progression during vertebrate development. ..
- Han Y, Busler D, Hong Y, Tian Y, Chen C, Rodrigues A. Transporter studies with the 3-O-sulfate conjugate of 17alpha-ethinylestradiol: assessment of human liver drug transporters. Drug Metab Dispos. 2010;38:1072-82 pubmed publisher..9 and K(m2) = 307 microM). Collectively, the data show that hepatic uptake of EE2-Sul can be mediated by three transporters (OATP1B1, OATP2B1, and NTCP), whereas biliary excretion of EE2-Sul into bile likely involves BCRP...
- Ni W, Ji J, Dai Z, Papp A, Johnson A, Ahn S, et al. Flavopiridol pharmacogenetics: clinical and functional evidence for the role of SLCO1B1/OATP1B1 in flavopiridol disposition. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13792 pubmed publisher..This study aimed to evaluate pharmacogenetic factors associated with inter-individual variability in pharmacokinetics and outcomes associated with flavopiridol therapy...
- Wempe M, Jutabha P, Quade B, Iwen T, Frick M, Ross I, et al. Developing potent human uric acid transporter 1 (hURAT1) inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2011;54:2701-13 pubmed publisher..Compounds with submicromolar (i.e., IC(50) < 1000 nM) inhibitors were prepared by brominating the corresponding phenols to produce compounds with potent uricosuric activity. ..
- Hakes D, Berezney R. Molecular cloning of matrin F/G: A DNA binding protein of the nuclear matrix that contains putative zinc finger motifs. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:6186-90 pubmed..In addition, a 7-mer palindromic sequence (Ser-Ser-Thr-Asn-Thr-Ser-Ser) was discovered within one of these zinc finger DNA binding regions. A possible regulatory role for this element is discussed. ..
- Whitworth T, Quick M. Substrate-induced regulation of gamma-aminobutyric acid transporter trafficking requires tyrosine phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:42932-7 pubmed..These data suggest a model in which substrates permit the phosphorylation of GAT1 on tyrosine residues and that the phosphorylated state of the transporter is refractory for internalization. ..
- Leon J, Susce M, Pan R, Wedlund P, Orrego M, Diaz F. A study of genetic (CYP2D6 and ABCB1) and environmental (drug inhibitors and inducers) variables that may influence plasma risperidone levels. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2007;40:93-102 pubmed..CYP inducers and inhibitors appear to be relevant to R dosing. New studies are needed, particularly to further assess the role of the CYP2D6 UM phenotype and ABCB1 variants in R pharmacokinetics. ..
- Steiner K, Zimmermann L, Hagenbuch B, Dietrich D. Zebrafish Oatp-mediated transport of microcystin congeners. Arch Toxicol. 2016;90:1129-39 pubmed publisher..The subtype-specific expression of zfOatp1d1 and of members of the zfOatp1f subfamily as well as differences in the transport of MC congeners could explain the MC congener-dependent differences in toxicity in cyprinids. ..
- Tsakalozou E, Adane E, Kuo K, Daily A, Moscow J, Leggas M. The effect of breast cancer resistance protein, multidrug resistant protein 1, and organic anion-transporting polypeptide 1B3 on the antitumor efficacy of the lipophilic camptothecin 7-t-butyldimethylsilyl-10-hydroxycamptothecin (AR-67) in vitro. Drug Metab Dispos. 2013;41:1404-13 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, BCRP- and MDR1-mediated efflux of AR-67 lactone confers resistance to AR-67, but OATP1B3-mediated uptake of the AR-67 carboxylate does not sensitize OATP1B3-expressing tumor cells...
- Obaidat A, Roth M, Hagenbuch B. The expression and function of organic anion transporting polypeptides in normal tissues and in cancer. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2012;52:135-51 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the findings summarized in this review, we propose that OATPs could be valuable targets for anticancer therapy. ..
- Deken S, Wang D, Quick M. Plasma membrane GABA transporters reside on distinct vesicles and undergo rapid regulated recycling. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1563-8 pubmed
- Wood M, Ananthanarayanan M, Jones B, Wooton Kee R, Hoffman T, Suchy F, et al. Hormonal regulation of hepatic organic anion transporting polypeptides. Mol Pharmacol. 2005;68:218-25 pubmed..These findings indicate that PRL and GH can regulate Oatp1b2 and OATP1B3 gene expression via the Stat5 signal-transduction pathway. ..
- Price K, Sautin Y, Long D, Zhang L, Miyazaki H, Mu W, et al. Human vascular smooth muscle cells express a urate transporter. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006;17:1791-5 pubmed..It is proposed that URAT1 may provide a mechanism by which uric acid enters the human vascular smooth muscle cell, a finding that may be relevant to the role of uric acid in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Roth M, Araya J, Timmermann B, Hagenbuch B. Isolation of modulators of the liver-specific organic anion-transporting polypeptides (OATPs) 1B1 and 1B3 from Rollinia emarginata Schlecht (Annonaceae). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;339:624-32 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a mechanism through which the hepatic uptake of drug OATP substrates could be stimulated. ..
- Chiu C, Jensen K, Sokolova I, Wang D, Li M, Deshpande P, et al. Number, density, and surface/cytoplasmic distribution of GABA transporters at presynaptic structures of knock-in mice carrying GABA transporter subtype 1-green fluorescent protein fusions. J Neurosci. 2002;22:10251-66 pubmed..Knock-in mice carrying GFP fusions of membrane proteins provide quantitative data required for understanding the details of synaptic transmission in living neurons. ..
- Chiu C, Ross L, Cohen B, Lester H, Gill S. The transporter-like protein inebriated mediates hyperosmotic stimuli through intracellular signaling. J Exp Biol. 2000;203:3531-46 pubmed..We propose that stimulation of MasIne releases intracellular Ca(2+) in native tissues, activating Ca(2+)-dependent K(+) channels, and leading to K(+) transport. ..
- Overstreet L, Jones M, Westbrook G. Slow desensitization regulates the availability of synaptic GABA(A) receptors. J Neurosci. 2000;20:7914-21 pubmed..Accumulation of channels in this absorbing state allows GABA(A) receptors to detect even a few molecules of GABA in the synaptic cleft. ..
- Gui C, Miao Y, Thompson L, Wahlgren B, Mock M, Stieger B, et al. Effect of pregnane X receptor ligands on transport mediated by human OATP1B1 and OATP1B3. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;584:57-65 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results demonstrate that pregnane X receptor ligands, by inhibiting or stimulating OATP-mediated uptake, can lead to drug-drug interactions at the transporter level. ..
- Shafiu M, Johnson R, Turner S, Langaee T, Gong Y, Chapman A, et al. Urate transporter gene SLC22A12 polymorphisms associated with obesity and metabolic syndrome in Caucasians with hypertension. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2012;35:477-82 pubmed publisher..The URAT1 gene SLC22A12 polymorphism may play a role in obesity and the metabolic syndrome in Caucasian hypertensive subjects. ..
- Li N, Klaassen C. Role of liver-enriched transcription factors in the down-regulation of organic anion transporting polypeptide 4 (oatp4; oatplb2; slc21a10) by lipopolysaccharide. Mol Pharmacol. 2004;66:694-701 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that the LPS-induced down-regulation of Oatp4 is likely due to reduction in the binding of HNF1alpha, C/EBP, HNF3, and RXR:RAR to the Oatp4 promoter. ..
- Deken S, Beckman M, Boos L, Quick M. Transport rates of GABA transporters: regulation by the N-terminal domain and syntaxin 1A. Nat Neurosci. 2000;3:998-1003 pubmed..These data demonstrate that intracellular domains of the GABA and protein-protein interactions regulate substrate translocation, and identify a direct link between the machinery involved in transmitter release and re-uptake. ..
- Hagenbuch B. Cellular entry of thyroid hormones by organic anion transporting polypeptides. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;21:209-21 pubmed..OATP4A1 is expressed in the placenta and could be important for maternal thyroid hormone transport to the developing fetus. ..
- Evans J, Frostholm A, Rotter A. Embryonic and postnatal expression of four gamma-aminobutyric acid transporter mRNAs in the mouse brain and leptomeninges. J Comp Neurol. 1996;376:431-46 pubmed
- Baudis M, Prima V, Tung Y, Hunger S. ABCB1 over-expression and drug-efflux in acute lymphoblastic leukemia cell lines with t(17;19) and E2A-HLF expression. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2006;47:757-64 pubmed
- Cheng X, Klaassen C. Critical role of PPAR-alpha in perfluorooctanoic acid- and perfluorodecanoic acid-induced downregulation of Oatp uptake transporters in mouse livers. Toxicol Sci. 2008;106:37-45 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, PFOA and PFDA decrease mouse liver uptake transporters primarily via activation of PPAR-alpha. ..
- Kuo K, Zhu H, McNamara P, Leggas M. Localization and functional characterization of the rat Oatp4c1 transporter in an in vitro cell system and rat tissues. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39641 pubmed publisher..These data definitively demonstrate the subcellular localization and histological location of Oatp4c1 and provide additional functional evidence that reconciles expression-function reports found in the literature. ..
- Aleksunes L, Klaassen C. Coordinated regulation of hepatic phase I and II drug-metabolizing genes and transporters using AhR-, CAR-, PXR-, PPAR?-, and Nrf2-null mice. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012;40:1366-79 pubmed publisher..Coordinated regulation of phase I, phase II, and transport genes by activators of transcription factors can have implications in development of pharmaceuticals as well as risk assessment of environmental contaminants. ..
- Agrawal B, Lakshmanan V, Kaushik S, Bais H. Natural variation among Arabidopsis accessions reveals malic acid as a key mediator of Nickel (Ni) tolerance. Planta. 2012;236:477-89 pubmed publisher..The evolution of Ni hyperaccumulators, which are found in serpentine soils, is an interesting corollary to the fact that S.C. is also native to serpentine soils. ..
- Wang K, Liu X, Zhang Q, Zeng M. ANAPC1 and SLCO3A1 are associated with nicotine dependence: meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;124:325-32 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified several loci associated with ND through meta-analysis of two GWA studies. These findings offer the potential for new insights into the pathogenesis of ND. ..
- Monks N, Liu S, Xu Y, Yu H, Bendelow A, Moscow J. Potent cytotoxicity of the phosphatase inhibitor microcystin LR and microcystin analogues in OATP1B1- and OATP1B3-expressing HeLa cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2007;6:587-98 pubmed
- Pacyniak E, Hagenbuch B, Klaassen C, Lehman McKeeman L, Guo G. Organic anion transporting polypeptides in the hepatic uptake of PBDE congeners in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011;257:23-31 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Oatp2b1 transported all three PBDE congeners with similar affinities. The importance of hepatic Oatps for the liver accumulation of BDE47 was confirmed using Oatp1a4-, and Oatp1b2-null mice. ..
- Guastella J, Nelson N, Nelson H, Czyzyk L, Keynan S, Miedel M, et al. Cloning and expression of a rat brain GABA transporter. Science. 1990;249:1303-6 pubmed..Therefore, GAT-1 appears to be a member of a previously uncharacterized family of transport molecules. ..
- Franke R, Scherkenbach L, Sparreboom A. Pharmacogenetics of the organic anion transporting polypeptide 1A2. Pharmacogenomics. 2009;10:339-44 pubmed publisher..Several nonsynonymous polymorphisms have been identified in the gene encoding OATP1A2, SLCO1A2 (SLC21A3), with some of these variants demonstrating functional changes in the transport of OATP1A2 substrates. ..
- Lu H, Choudhuri S, Ogura K, Csanaky I, Lei X, Cheng X, et al. Characterization of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1b2-null mice: essential role in hepatic uptake/toxicity of phalloidin and microcystin-LR. Toxicol Sci. 2008;103:35-45 pubmed publisher..Oatp1b2-null mice are useful in elucidating the role of Oatp1b2 and its human orthologs OATP1B1/1B3 in hepatic uptake and systemic disposition of toxic chemicals and therapeutic drugs. ..
- Overstreet L, Westbrook G. Synapse density regulates independence at unitary inhibitory synapses. J Neurosci. 2003;23:2618-26 pubmed..Thus, interplay between release site density and transporter action determines the independence of unitary inhibitory synapses. ..
- Mougey E, Lang J, Wen X, Lima J. Effect of citrus juice and SLCO2B1 genotype on the pharmacokinetics of montelukast. J Clin Pharmacol. 2011;51:751-60 pubmed publisher..0 × 10(-5)) replicating previous observations. ..
- King S, Hu L, Pugh A. Induction of substrate specificity shifts by placement of alanine insertions within the consensus amphipathic region of the Escherichia coli GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) transporter encoded by gabP. Biochem J. 2003;376:645-53 pubmed..coli phenylalanine permease PheP [Pi, Chow and Pittard (2002) J. Bacteriol. 184, 5842-5847] that have a functionally significant CAR-like domain. ..
- King S, Brown Istvan L. Use of the transport specificity ratio and cysteine-scanning mutagenesis to detect multiple substrate specificity determinants in the consensus amphipathic region of the Escherichia coli GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) transporter encoded by gabP. Biochem J. 2003;376:633-44 pubmed..Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 79, 2882-2884]. ..
- Youngblood G, Sweet D. Identification and functional assessment of the novel murine organic anion transporter Oat5 (Slc22a19) expressed in kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2004;287:F236-44 pubmed..These data demonstrate for the first time that this newly identified gene encodes a protein that functions as an organic anion transporter. ..
- Buist S, Klaassen C. Rat and mouse differences in gender-predominant expression of organic anion transporter (Oat1-3; Slc22a6-8) mRNA levels. Drug Metab Dispos. 2004;32:620-5 pubmed..With the exception of a significant species difference in Oat2 expression, many similarities were found between rat and mouse Oat mRNA levels. ..
- Schnabolk G, Youngblood G, Sweet D. Transport of estrone sulfate by the novel organic anion transporter Oat6 (Slc22a20). Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2006;291:F314-21 pubmed..These data demonstrate for the first time that the novel murine gene Oat6 (Slc22a20) encodes a functional organic anion transporter and mOat6 is indeed the newest member of the OAT gene family...
- Cheng X, Klaassen C. Tissue distribution, ontogeny, and hormonal regulation of xenobiotic transporters in mouse kidneys. Drug Metab Dispos. 2009;37:2178-85 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the mRNA expression of xenobiotic transporters in kidneys is determined by tissue, age, and sex hormones. ..
- Lewis L, Miller A, Rosner G, Dowell J, Valdivieso M, Relling M, et al. A comparison of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of docetaxel between African-American and Caucasian cancer patients: CALGB 9871. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:3302-11 pubmed..Docetaxel clearance and its associated myelosuppression were similar in African-American and Caucasian cancer patients. ..
- Gui C, Hagenbuch B. Role of transmembrane domain 10 for the function of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B1. Protein Sci. 2009;18:2298-306 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results show that TM10 is critical for the function of OATP1B1. ..
- Beckman M, Bernstein E, Quick M. Protein kinase C regulates the interaction between a GABA transporter and syntaxin 1A. J Neurosci. 1998;18:6103-12 pubmed..These results suggest a new target for regulation by syntaxin 1A and a novel mechanism for controlling the machinery involved in both neurotransmitter release and reuptake. ..
- Gui C, Hagenbuch B. Amino acid residues in transmembrane domain 10 of organic anion transporting polypeptide 1B3 are critical for cholecystokinin octapeptide transport. Biochemistry. 2008;47:9090-7 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have identified three amino acid residues (Y537, S545, and T550) in TM10 of OATP1B3 that are important for CCK-8 transport. ..
- Shen H, Yang Z, Mintier G, Han Y, Chen C, Balimane P, et al. Cynomolgus monkey as a potential model to assess drug interactions involving hepatic organic anion transporting polypeptides: in vitro, in vivo, and in vitro-to-in vivo extrapolation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;344:673-85 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that the cynomolgus monkey has the potential to serve as a useful model for the assessment of OATP-mediated DDIs in a nonclinical setting. ..
- Gui C, Hagenbuch B. Cloning/characterization of the canine organic anion transporting polypeptide 1b4 (Oatp1b4) and classification of the canine OATP/SLCO members. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010;151:393-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the cloned canine Oatp1b4 will provide additional molecular basis to further characterize the species difference of the OATP1B family members. ..
- Guo G, Johnson D, Klaassen C. Postnatal expression and induction by pregnenolone-16alpha-carbonitrile of the organic anion-transporting polypeptide 2 in rat liver. Drug Metab Dispos. 2002;30:283-8 pubmed..In summary, rat oatp2 undergoes age-dependent and chemical regulation during postnatal development, and is a potential target for drug-drug and age-drug interactions. ..
- Cheng X, Maher J, Lu H, Klaassen C. Endocrine regulation of gender-divergent mouse organic anion-transporting polypeptide (Oatp) expression. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:1291-7 pubmed..In conclusion, gender-divergent Oatp expression in liver is caused by male-pattern GH secretion pattern and androgens. In kidney, gender-divergent Oatp expression is exclusively caused by stimulation by androgens. ..
- Grassl S. Facilitated diffusion of urate in avian brush-border membrane vesicles. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2002;283:C1155-62 pubmed..These observations suggest a uniporter-mediated facilitated diffusion of urate as a pathway for passive efflux across the brush border membrane of urate-secreting proximal tubule cells...
- Choudhuri S, Ogura K, Klaassen C. Cloning, expression, and ontogeny of mouse organic anion-transporting polypeptide-5, a kidney-specific organic anion transporter. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;280:92-8 pubmed..Phylogenetic analysis reveals that mouse Oatp-5 is an ortholog of rat Oatp-5. ..