Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on organ culture techniques in Japan
Topic: organ culture techniques
- Asai T, Kusudo K, Ikeda H, Murase K. Intrinsic optical signals in the dorsal horn of rat spinal cord slices elicited by brief repetitive stimulation. Eur J Neurosci. 2002;15:1737-46 pubmed
- Kawamoto T, Kobayashi Y, Nakajima H, Yamagishi Y. Generation of robust vascular networks from cardiovascular blast populations derived from human induced pluripotent stem cells in vivo and ex vivo organ culture system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;441:180-5 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that CBP provides a promising approach for studying vasculogenesis and subsequently can be used in regenerative medicine. ..
- Villa K, Berry K, Subramanian J, Cha J, Oh W, Kwon H, et al. Inhibitory Synapses Are Repeatedly Assembled and Removed at Persistent Sites In Vivo. Neuron. 2016;89:756-69 pubmed publisher..Reversible structural dynamics indicate a fundamentally new role for inhibitory synaptic remodeling--flexible, input-specific modulation of stable excitatory connections. ..
- Katsuki H, Yamamoto R, Nakata D, Kume T, Akaike A. Neuronal nitric oxide synthase is crucial for ganglion cell death in rat retinal explant cultures. J Pharmacol Sci. 2004;94:77-80 pubmed..Moreover, 7-nitroindazole but not aminoguanidine promoted the survival of retinal ganglion cells. These results suggest a crucial role of neuronal NOS-derived nitric oxide in retinal ganglion cell death. ..
- Suzuki E, Okada T. Regional differences in GABAergic modulation for TEA-induced synaptic plasticity in rat hippocampal CA1, CA3 and dentate gyrus. Neurosci Res. 2007;59:183-90 pubmed..This series of results demonstrates that TEA-induced DG and CA3 plasticity displays afferent specificity and is exposed to GABAergic modulation in an opposite manner. ..
- Yoshida T, Phylactou L, Uney J, Ishikawa I, Eto K, Iseki S. Twist is required for establishment of the mouse coronal suture. J Anat. 2005;206:437-44 pubmed..These results suggest that during establishment of the suture area, Twist is required for the regulation of sutural cell proliferation and osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Yoshikawa T, Mizuno A, Yasumuro H, Inami W, Vergara M, Del Rio Tsonis K, et al. MEK-ERK and heparin-susceptible signaling pathways are involved in cell-cycle entry of the wound edge retinal pigment epithelium cells in the adult newt. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2012;25:66-82 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that the cells inside the RPE have low proliferation competence even in the presence of serum, suggesting inversely that a loss of cell-to-cell contact would allow the cells to enter the cell cycle. ..
- Ogonuki N, Mochida K, Inoue K, Matsuda J, Yamamoto Y, Takano K, et al. Fertilization of oocytes and birth of normal pups following intracytoplasmic injection with spermatids in mastomys (Praomys coucha). Biol Reprod. 2003;68:1821-7 pubmed
- Kotake Y, Ohta S, Kanazawa I, Sakurai M. Neurotoxicity of an endogenous brain amine, 1-benzyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline, in organotypic slice co-culture of mesencephalon and striatum. Neuroscience. 2003;117:63-70 pubmed..This is the first report that indicates 1-benzyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline exerts neurotoxicity at the cellular level, and reveals in part the character of its neurotoxicity. ..
- Amano O, Koshimizu U, Nakamura T, Iseki S. Enhancement by hepatocyte growth factor of bone and cartilage formation during embryonic mouse mandibular development in vitro. Arch Oral Biol. 1999;44:935-46 pubmed..These results revealed that exogenous HGF enhances bone and cartilage morphogenesis in the cultured mandibles, suggesting physiological roles for intrinsic HGF in the early development of mouse mandible. ..
- Takeuchi T, Toyoshima M, Mukai K, Hagi K, Matsui M, Nakajima H, et al. Involvement of M(2) muscarinic receptors in relaxant response of circular muscle of mouse gastric antrum. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2006;18:226-33 pubmed..These results suggest that M(2) receptors modulate the sustained relaxation, probably through the regulation of PACAP release, in the mouse antrum. ..
- Yudoh K, Nguyen v, Nakamura H, Hongo Masuko K, Kato T, Nishioka K. Potential involvement of oxidative stress in cartilage senescence and development of osteoarthritis: oxidative stress induces chondrocyte telomere instability and downregulation of chondrocyte function. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:R380-91 pubmed..New efforts to prevent the development and progression of OA may include strategies and interventions aimed at reducing oxidative damage in articular cartilage. ..
- Yamada S, Katano H, Sato Y, Fukuchi S, Hashimoto K, Inoue N. An ExÂ vivo culture model for placental cytomegalovirus infection using slices of Guinea pig placental tissue. Placenta. 2016;37:85-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, this model affords a useful tool for pathobiological studies on CMV placental infection. ..
- Yamada N, Yanai R, Kawamoto K, Nagano T, Nakamura M, Inui M, et al. Promotion of corneal epithelial wound healing by a tetrapeptide (SSSR) derived from IGF-1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:3286-92 pubmed..Local administration of the SSSR tetrapeptide, alone or in combination with FGLM-amide, is thus a potential new strategy for the treatment of nonhealing epithelial wounds. ..
- Sakamoto K, Murata T, Chuma H, Hori M, Ozaki H. Fluvastatin prevents vascular hyperplasia by inhibiting phenotype modulation and proliferation through extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1 and 2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase inactivation in organ-cultured artery. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:327-33 pubmed
- Ishige K, Takagi N, Imai T, Rausch W, Kosuge Y, Kihara T, et al. Role of caspase-12 in amyloid beta-peptide-induced toxicity in organotypic hippocampal slices cultured for long periods. J Pharmacol Sci. 2007;104:46-55 pubmed..It is also suggested that SAC is able to protect against the Abeta-induced neuronal cell death through the inhibition of the caspase-12-dependent pathway. ..
- Shimokawa K, Kimura Yoshida C, Nagai N, Mukai K, Matsubara K, Watanabe H, et al. Cell surface heparan sulfate chains regulate local reception of FGF signaling in the mouse embryo. Dev Cell. 2011;21:257-72 pubmed publisher..Together, the results show that spatiotemporal expression of cell surface-tethered HS chains regulate the local reception of FGF-signaling activity during mammalian embryogenesis. ..
- Okutsu Y, Itoh M, Takahashi N, Ishizuka B. Exogenous androstenedione induces formation of follicular cysts and premature luteinization of granulosa cells in the ovary. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:927-35 pubmed publisher..To investigate the effects of androstenedione on ovarian follicle development...
- Kobayashi T. In vitro germ cell differentiation during sex differentiation in a teleost fish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:105-11 pubmed publisher..Together, nos may be also involved in oogenic meiosis, with the exception of primordial germ cell migration. ..
- Koyama N, Hayashi T, Gresik E, Kashimata M. Role of alpha 6 integrin subunit in branching morphogenesis of fetal mouse submandibular gland: investigation by mesenchyme-free epithelial culture system. J Med Invest. 2009;56 Suppl:247-9 pubmed
- Toriyama M, Mizuno N, Fukami T, Iguchi T, Toriyama M, Tago K, et al. Phosphorylation of doublecortin by protein kinase A orchestrates microtubule and actin dynamics to promote neuronal progenitor cell migration. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12691-702 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a dual reciprocal role for DCX phosphorylation in the regulation of microtubule and actin dynamics that is indispensable for proper brain lamination. ..
- Muramatsu I, Uwada J, Masuoka T, Yoshiki H, Sada K, Lee K, et al. Regulation of synaptic acetylcholine concentrations by acetylcholine transport in rat striatal cholinergic transmission. J Neurochem. 2017;143:76-86 pubmed publisher..In addition, these data suggest that the recycling of ACh-derived choline may be minor in cholinergic terminals. This study reveals a new mechanism of cholinergic transmission in the central nervous system. ..
- Chiba S, Kurokawa M, Yoshikawa H, Ikeda R, Takeno M, Tadokoro M, et al. Noggin and basic FGF were implicated in forebrain fate and caudal fate, respectively, of the neural tube-like structures emerging in mouse ES cell culture. Exp Brain Res. 2005;163:86-99 pubmed..Differentiation of ES cells by the present methods may mimic neurulation and subsequent neural development of early embryos, and elucidates the opposite effects of Noggin and bFGF for the neural tube development. ..
- Itoh M, Hosaka T, Mimuro T, Hamada N, Ishizuka B. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone increases melatonin release in the pineal gland of the female rat in vitro. Horm Metab Res. 2003;35:153-7 pubmed..These results show that GnRH stimulates pineal melatonin release, but suggest that GnRH does not affect its melatonin synthesis. ..
- Yoshioka K, Suzuki C, Tanaka A, Anas I, Iwamura S. Birth of piglets derived from porcine zygotes cultured in a chemically defined medium. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:112-9 pubmed..Our results indicate that porcine zygotes can develop into blastocysts in a chemically defined medium and to full term by transfer to recipients after culture. ..
- Haraguchi R, Mo R, Hui C, Motoyama J, Makino S, Shiroishi T, et al. Unique functions of Sonic hedgehog signaling during external genitalia development. Development. 2001;128:4241-50 pubmed..These results suggest a dual mode of Shh function, first by the regulation of initiating GT outgrowth, and second, by subsequent GT differentiation. ..
- Nakagami Y, Saito H, Matsuki N. Optical recording of trisynaptic pathway in rat hippocampal slices with a voltage-sensitive dye. Neuroscience. 1997;81:1-8 pubmed..The analysis of the spatial-temporal optical signals contributes to understanding information processes in the hippocampus, related to learning and memory including long-term potentiation. ..
- Shimomura J, Ishibashi O, Ikegame M, Yoshizawa T, Ejiri S, Noda T, et al. Tensile stress induces alpha-adaptin C production in mouse calvariae in an organ culture: possible involvement of endocytosis in mechanical stress-stimulated osteoblast differentiation. J Cell Physiol. 2003;195:488-96 pubmed..These results, taken together, suggest that TS accelerates osteoblast differentiation and osteogenesis, possibly through the induction of the alpha-adaptin C expression and consequent activation of receptor-mediated endocytosis. ..
- Ishikawa T, Nakayama S, Nakagawa T, Horiguchi K, Misawa H, Kadowaki M, et al. Characterization of in vitro gutlike organ formed from mouse embryonic stem cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;286:C1344-52 pubmed..The present characterization of physiological and morphological properties of ES gut paves the way for making appropriate models to investigate the origin of rhythmicity in the gut. ..
- Takahama Y, Sugaya K, Tsuda S, Hasegawa T, Hashimoto Y. Regulation of early T cell development by the engagement of TCR-beta complex expressed on fetal thymocytes from TCR-beta-transgenic scid mice. J Immunol. 1995;154:5862-9 pubmed
- Tomita K, Ishibashi M, Nakahara K, Ang S, Nakanishi S, Guillemot F, et al. Mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog 1 regulates differentiation of retinal neurons and is essential for eye morphogenesis. Neuron. 1996;16:723-34 pubmed..Furthermore, in the mutant retina, bipolar cells extensively died, and finally disappeared. These studies provide evidence that HES1 regulates differentiation of retinal neurons and is essential for eye morphogenesis. ..
- Koshimizu T, Kawai M, Kondou H, Tachikawa K, Sakai N, Ozono K, et al. Vinculin functions as regulator of chondrogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:15760-75 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate a tissue-specific function of vinculin in cartilage whereby it controls chondrocytic differentiation. ..
- Matsunaga T, Katayama I, Yokozeki H, Nishioka K. Superantigen-induced cytokine expression in organ-cultured human skin. J Dermatol Sci. 1996;11:104-10 pubmed
- Saika S, Muragaki Y, Okada Y, Miyamoto T, Ohnishi Y, Ooshima A, et al. Sonic hedgehog expression and role in healing corneal epithelium. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:2577-85 pubmed
- Salim H, Fukuda D, Higashikuni Y, Tanaka K, Hirata Y, Yagi S, et al. Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, linagliptin, ameliorates endothelial dysfunction and atherogenesis in normoglycemic apolipoprotein-E deficient mice. Vascul Pharmacol. 2016;79:16-23 pubmed publisher..Lina inhibited atherogenesis in non-diabetic ApoE(-/-) mice. Amelioration of endothelial dysfunction associated with a reduction of oxidative stress by GLP-1 contributes to the atheroprotective effects of Lina. ..
- Takahama Y, Suzuki H, Katz K, Grusby M, Singer A. Positive selection of CD4+ T cells by TCR ligation without aggregation even in the absence of MHC. Nature. 1994;371:67-70 pubmed..Thus, low valency of TCR crosslinking is a critical parameter, distinguishing positive selection from other TCR-mediated signalling events. ..
- Goto S, Yaoita E, Matsunami H, Kondo D, Yamamoto T, Kawasaki K, et al. Involvement of R-cadherin in the early stage of glomerulogenesis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1998;9:1234-41 pubmed..These findings indicate that R-cadherin is uniquely expressed in differentiating VEC, suggesting an important role in the early stages of glomerulogenesis. ..
- Kitawaki J, Koshiba H, Ishihara H, Kusuki I, Tsukamoto K, Honjo H. Progesterone induction of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 during the secretory phase occurs in the endometrium of estrogen-dependent benign diseases but not in normal endometrium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:3292-6 pubmed
- Nishimura Y, Asahi M, Saitoh K, Kitagawa H, Kumazawa Y, Itoh K, et al. Ionic mechanisms underlying burst firing of layer III sensorimotor cortical neurons of the cat: an in vitro slice study. J Neurophysiol. 2001;86:771-81 pubmed..We concluded that a TTX- and QX314-sensitive Na+ current underlies the ADP and therefore contributes to the burst firing of layer III neurons from the cat cortex...
- Yamada K, Sato K, Morishita S, Kaminogawa S, Totsuka M. Establishment of a primary culture method for mouse intestinal epithelial cells by organ culture of fetal small intestine. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:1849-55 pubmed..These results indicate that the primary-cultured mouse IEC prepared by the method established here can be a beneficial tool in study of the functions of IECs, especially in mucosal immunity...
- Yamago G, Takata Y, Furuta I, Urase K, Momoi T, Huh N. Suppression of hair follicle development inhibits induction of sonic hedgehog, patched, and patched-2 in hair germs in mice. Arch Dermatol Res. 2001;293:435-41 pubmed..The potential of the two biological systems for studying molecular mechanisms in hair follicle formation, particularly at an early phase including Shh signaling, is discussed. ..
- Kamba T, Higashi S, Kamoto T, Shisa H, Yamada Y, Ogawa O, et al. Failure of ureteric bud invasion: a new model of renal agenesis in mice. Am J Pathol. 2001;159:2347-53 pubmed..Studies of fubi1 congenic mice indicated that interaction of two or more loci is essential for the FUBI phenotype. ..
- Nakajima H, Goto H, Azuma Y, Fujita A, Takeuchi T. Functional interactions between the SK2 channel and the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor in enteric neurons of the guinea pig ileum. J Neurochem. 2007;103:2428-38 pubmed..These results suggest that SK2 channels negatively regulate the excitation of enteric neurons via functional interactions with nAChRs. ..
- Sakamoto K, Resau J, Shamsuddin A, Yuasa Y, Hoshino H, Nakano G, et al. Long-term explant culture of human colon and a 3-step transformation model for rat colonic epithelium. Pathobiology. 1991;59:404-11 pubmed..g., ulcerative colitis; Barret's esophagus, etc.). ..
- Yoshimura H, Sugai T, Segami N, Onoda N. Strengthening of non-NMDA receptor-dependent horizontal pathways between primary and lateral secondary visual cortices after NMDA receptor-dependent oscillatory neural activities. Brain Res. 2005;1036:60-9 pubmed..NMDAR-dependent forward and backward propagation might be involved in cortical reorganization of the visual cortex. ..
- Ida Yonemochi H, Saku T. No developmental failure of cultured tooth germs from osteopetrotic (op/op) mice. J Oral Pathol Med. 2002;31:374-8 pubmed..The purpose of this study is to determine if the tooth developmental failures in op/op mice are intrinsic or secondarily arise as a result of the defective bone metabolism due to lack of macrophage colony-stimulating factor (M-CSF)...
- Tsuboi T, Mizutani S, Nakano M, Hirukawa K, Togari A. Fgf-2 regulates enamel and dentine formation in mouse tooth germ. Calcif Tissue Int. 2003;73:496-501 pubmed..This histological change was recovered by adding exogeneous FGF-2. These findings suggest that FGF-2 at the bell stage regulates cell differentiation and matrix secretion...
- Yin J, Kouda K, Tezuka Y, Tran Q, Miyahara T, Chen Y, et al. Steroidal glycosides from the rhizomes of Dioscorea spongiosa. J Nat Prod. 2003;66:646-50 pubmed
- Tamaki K, Saitoh A, Gaspari A, Yasaka N, Furue M. Migration of Thy-1+ dendritic epidermal cells (Thy-1+DEC): Ly48 and TNF-alpha are responsible for the migration of Thy-1+DEC to the epidermis. J Invest Dermatol. 1994;103:290-4 pubmed..Thus, Thy-1+DEC retain the potential for migration in vitro, and leukosialin and TNF alpha are partially responsible for the migration of Thy-1+DEC into the epidermis. ..
- Masuda T, Fukamauchi F, Takeda Y, Fujisawa H, Watanabe K, Okado N, et al. Developmental regulation of notochord-derived repulsion for dorsal root ganglion axons. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;25:217-27 pubmed..Thus, notochord-derived multiple axon repulsions act in a spatiotemporal-specific manner to shape the initial trajectories of DRG axons...
- Kurihara Y, Kurihara H, Suzuki H, Kodama T, Maemura K, Nagai R, et al. Elevated blood pressure and craniofacial abnormalities in mice deficient in endothelin-1. Nature. 1994;368:703-10 pubmed..These results suggest that ET-1 is essential for normal mouse development and may also play a physiological role in cardiovascular homeostasis...
- Hashimoto Torii K, Torii M, Fujimoto M, Nakai A, El Fatimy R, Mezger V, et al. Roles of heat shock factor 1 in neuronal response to fetal environmental risks and its relevance to brain disorders. Neuron. 2014;82:560-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that HSF1 plays a crucial role in the response of brain cells to prenatal environmental insults and may be a key component in the pathogenesis of late-onset neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Matsui M, Oshima M, Oshima H, Takaku K, Maruyama T, Yodoi J, et al. Early embryonic lethality caused by targeted disruption of the mouse thioredoxin gene. Dev Biol. 1996;178:179-85 pubmed..These results indicate that Txn expression is essential for early differentiation and morphogenesis of the mouse embryo. ..
- Nishikawa Y, Doi Y, Watanabe H, Tokairin T, Omori Y, Su M, et al. Transdifferentiation of mature rat hepatocytes into bile duct-like cells in vitro. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:1077-88 pubmed..Our results suggest that hepatocytes might have the potential to transdifferentiate into bile duct-like cells without acquiring a stem-like phenotype and that this is mediated through specific protein tyrosine phosphorylation pathways. ..
- Ishizuya Oka A, Hasebe T, Shimizu K, Suzuki K, Ueda S. Shh/BMP-4 signaling pathway is essential for intestinal epithelial development during Xenopus larval-to-adult remodeling. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3240-9 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that the Shh/BMP-4 signaling pathway plays key roles in the amphibian intestinal remodeling through epithelial-connective tissue interactions. ..
- Tokoro Y, Sugawara T, Yaginuma H, Nakauchi H, Terhorst C, Wang B, et al. A mouse carrying genetic defect in the choice between T and B lymphocytes. J Immunol. 1998;161:4591-8 pubmed..Thus, tg epsilon26 mice provide a novel mouse model in that lineage choice between T and B lymphocytes is genetically defective. ..
- Kaneta M, Osawa M, Sudo K, Nakauchi H, Farr A, Takahama Y. A role for pref-1 and HES-1 in thymocyte development. J Immunol. 2000;164:256-64 pubmed..These results indicate that Pref-1 expressed by TE cells and HES-1 expressed by thymocytes are critically involved in supporting thymocyte cellularity. ..
- Mitaka T, Ooe H. Characterization of hepatic-organoid cultures. Drug Metab Rev. 2010;42:472-81 pubmed publisher..The cells can make bile, secrete it into BC, and the bile can be carried without leaking. Thus, the organoids consist of polarized hepatocytes and possess biochemical and physiological functions as hepatic tissue. ..
- Hosaka T, Mimuro T, Hamada N, Itoh M, Ishizuka B. Stimulatory effects of LH on release of melatonin and activities of its synthesizing enzymes NAT and HIOMT in organ-cultured pineal glands of female rats. Horm Metab Res. 2002;34:441-5 pubmed..These results demonstrate that at relatively low physiological levels, LH stimulates pineal melatonin synthesis and release, mainly by increasing NAT activity. ..
- Yoshimura H, Honjo M, Mashiyama Y, Kaneyama K, Segami N, Sato J, et al. Multiple tooth-losses during development suppress age-dependent emergence of oscillatory neural activities in the oral somatosensory cortex. Brain Res. 2008;1224:37-42 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sufficient neural inputs from the teeth and tooth-related organs during developmental periods are essential for maturation of neural functions in the OSC...
- Munetsuna E, Hojo Y, Hattori M, Ishii H, Kawato S, Ishida A, et al. Retinoic acid stimulates 17beta-estradiol and testosterone synthesis in rat hippocampal slice cultures. Endocrinology. 2009;150:4260-9 pubmed publisher..The stimulation of estradiol and testosterone synthesis by 9-cis-retinoic acid might be caused by activation of P450(17alpha) transcription via retinoid X receptor signaling. ..
- Hayama T, Noguchi J, Watanabe S, Takahashi N, Hayashi Takagi A, Ellis Davies G, et al. GABA promotes the competitive selection of dendritic spines by controlling local Ca2+ signaling. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1409-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, GABAergic inhibition directly suppresses local dendritic Ca(2+) transients and strongly promotes the competitive selection of dendritic spines. ..
- Hirayama M, Oshima M, Tsuji T. Development and prospects of organ replacement regenerative therapy. Cornea. 2013;32 Suppl 1:S13-21 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize the strategies and the recent progress of research and development for the establishment of organ replacement regenerative therapies. ..