Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on nuclear proteins in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: nuclear proteins
Publications422 found, 100 shown here
- Carlini L, Getz M, Strauch A, Kelm R. Cryptic MCAT enhancer regulation in fibroblasts and smooth muscle cells. Suppression of TEF-1 mediated activation by the single-stranded DNA-binding proteins, Pur alpha, Pur beta, and MSY1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8682-92 pubmed
- Bantignies F, Goodman R, Smolik S. The interaction between the coactivator dCBP and Modulo, a chromatin-associated factor, affects segmentation and melanotic tumor formation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:2895-900 pubmed..These results imply that, in addition to its histone acetyltransferase activity, dCBP may affect higher-order chromatin structure. ..
- Saracco S, Miller M, Kurepa J, Vierstra R. Genetic analysis of SUMOylation in Arabidopsis: conjugation of SUMO1 and SUMO2 to nuclear proteins is essential. Plant Physiol. 2007;145:119-34 pubmed..Taken together, it appears that SIZ1-mediated conjugation of SUMO1 and SUMO2 to other intracellular proteins is essential in Arabidopsis, possibly through stress-induced modification of a potentially diverse pool of nuclear proteins. ..
- Nag A, Yang Y, Jack T. DORNROSCHEN-LIKE, an AP2 gene, is necessary for stamen emergence in Arabidopsis. Plant Mol Biol. 2007;65:219-32 pubmed..Analysis of both the drnl-2 mutant phenotype and the DRNL expression pattern in flowers suggests that DRNL plays a critical role in stamen emergence in Arabidopsis. ..
- Sait S, Claydon M, Conroy J, Nowak N, Barcos M, Baer M. Translocation (4;11)(p12;q23) with rearrangement of FRYL and MLL in therapy-related acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2007;177:143-6 pubmed..Thus, t(4;11)(p12;q23) with MLL and FRYL involvement represents a new recurring 11q23 translocation, to date seen only in therapy-related acute leukemias. ..
- Wood J, Singh N, Mer G, Chen J. MCPH1 functions in an H2AX-dependent but MDC1-independent pathway in response to DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35416-23 pubmed..These observations support that MCPH1 acts early in DNA damage responsive pathways. ..
- Yang X, Wood P, Oh E, Du Quiton J, Ansell C, Hrushesky W. Down regulation of circadian clock gene Period 2 accelerates breast cancer growth by altering its daily growth rhythm. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;117:423-31 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Per2 and perhaps other clock genes represent a new class of potential therapeutic targets whose manipulation will modulate cancer growth and cancer cell proliferation. ..
- Duan X, Yang Y, Chen Y, Arenz J, Rangi G, Zhao X, et al. Architecture of the Smc5/6 Complex of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Reveals a Unique Interaction between the Nse5-6 Subcomplex and the Hinge Regions of Smc5 and Smc6. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:8507-15 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the structures of the Smc5/6 complex and lay the foundation for further investigations into the mechanism of its functions. ..
- Zhang J, Sarge K. Identification of a polymorphism in the RING finger of human Bmi-1 that causes its degradation by the ubiquitin-proteasome system. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:960-4 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this, treating cells with the proteasome inhibitor MG-132 significantly increases C18Y Bmi-1 levels. This is the first example of a polymorphism in Bmi-1 that reduces levels of this important protein. ..
- Mastrocola A, Heinen C. Nuclear reorganization of DNA mismatch repair proteins in response to DNA damage. DNA Repair (Amst). 2010;9:120-33 pubmed publisher..In contrast, hMLH1 is excluded from the nucleolus at all times. Thus, the nucleolus may act to segregate a population of hMSH2-hMSH6 from hMLH1-hPMS2 such that, in the absence of DNA damage, an inappropriate response is not invoked. ..
- Yao P, Fox P. Sex lethal and upstream ORFs: a bait-and-trap system for ribosomes. Genome Biol. 2011;12:121 pubmed publisher..An upstream ORF cooperates with Sex lethal to inhibit msl-2 translation during Drosophila sex determination, a biological principle with potentially broad application in gene regulation. ..
- Mitrea D, Cika J, Guy C, Ban D, Banerjee P, Stanley C, et al. Nucleophosmin integrates within the nucleolus via multi-modal interactions with proteins displaying R-rich linear motifs and rRNA. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We propose that one mechanism of nucleolar localization involves phase separation of proteins within the nucleolus. ..
- Benyoucef A, Palii C, Wang C, Porter C, Chu A, Dai F, et al. UTX inhibition as selective epigenetic therapy against TAL1-driven T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Dev. 2016;30:508-21 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the first opportunity to develop personalized epigenetic therapy for T-ALL patients. ..
- Wang Z, Zhang H, Liu J, Cheruiyot A, Lee J, ORDOG T, et al. USP51 deubiquitylates H2AK13,15ub and regulates DNA damage response. Genes Dev. 2016;30:946-59 pubmed publisher..In cells, USP51 is recruited to chromatin after DNA damage and regulates the dynamic assembly/disassembly of 53BP1 and BRCA1 foci. These results show that USP51 is the DUB for H2AK13,15ub and regulates DNA damage response. ..
- Huang C, Mattjus P, Ma W, Rincon M, Chen N, Brown R, et al. Involvement of nuclear factor of activated T cells activation in UV response. Evidence from cell culture and transgenic mice. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:9143-9 pubmed..These results demonstrated that UV radiation is a strong activator for skin NFAT transactivation through calcium-dependent pathways, suggesting that NFAT activation may be a part of the UV response. ..
- Song W, Solimeo H, Rupert R, Yadav N, Zhu Q. Functional dissection of a Rice Dr1/DrAp1 transcriptional repression complex. Plant Cell. 2002;14:181-95 pubmed..Thus, although OsDr1 and OsDrAp1 function as repressors, the functions of the two components are reversed compared with those of their nonplant counterparts. ..
- Srisatjaluk R, Kotwal G, Hunt L, Justus D. Modulation of gamma interferon-induced major histocompatibility complex class II gene expression by Porphyromonas gingivalis membrane vesicles. Infect Immun. 2002;70:1185-92 pubmed..gingivalis membrane vesicles to modulate antigen presentation by key cells may be an important mechanism used by this particular bacterium to escape immunosurveillance, thereby favoring its colonization and invasion of host tissues. ..
- Springer N, Danilevskaya O, Hermon P, Helentjaris T, Phillips R, Kaeppler H, et al. Sequence relationships, conserved domains, and expression patterns for maize homologs of the polycomb group genes E(z), esc, and E(Pc). Plant Physiol. 2002;128:1332-45 pubmed..The conservation of E(z) and esc homologs across kingdoms indicates that these genes likely play a conserved role in repressing gene expression. ..
- Padilla P, Nystul T, Zager R, Johnson A, Roth M. Dephosphorylation of cell cycle-regulated proteins correlates with anoxia-induced suspended animation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1473-83 pubmed..Thus, dephosphorylation of specific proteins correlate with the establishment and/or maintenance of a state of anoxia-induced suspended animation. ..
- Kuhlman S, Silver R, Le Sauter J, Bult Ito A, McMahon D. Phase resetting light pulses induce Per1 and persistent spike activity in a subpopulation of biological clock neurons. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1441-50 pubmed
- O Brien L, Wiese C. TPX2 is required for postmitotic nuclear assembly in cell-free Xenopus laevis egg extracts. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:685-94 pubmed..LAP2 localization is disrupted in TPX2-depleted nuclei, suggesting that the interaction between TPX2 and LAP2 is required for postmitotic nuclear reformation. ..
- Susiarjo M, Hassold T, Freeman E, Hunt P. Bisphenol A exposure in utero disrupts early oogenesis in the mouse. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e5 pubmed..This raises concern that brief exposures during fetal development to substances that mimic or antagonize the effects of estrogen may adversely influence oocyte development in the exposed female fetus. ..
- Zou Y, Wu J, Giannone R, Boucher L, Du H, Huang Y, et al. Nucleophosmin/B23 negatively regulates GCN5-dependent histone acetylation and transactivation. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:5728-37 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies suggest a molecular mechanism of B23 in the mitotic inhibition of GCN5-mediated histone acetylation and transactivation. ..
- Frankel M, Knoll L. The ins and outs of nuclear trafficking: unusual aspects in apicomplexan parasites. DNA Cell Biol. 2009;28:277-84 pubmed publisher..A detailed analysis of the nuclear trafficking network in these eukaryotes is required to understand how this potentially unique cellular biological pathway contributes to host-parasite interactions. ..
- Kalluri U, Hurst G, Lankford P, Ranjan P, Pelletier D. Shotgun proteome profile of Populus developing xylem. Proteomics. 2009;9:4871-80 pubmed publisher..Further application of such proteomics methods will aid in plant systems biology modeling efforts by enhancing the understanding not only of cell wall biosynthesis but also of other plant developmental and physiological pathways. ..
- Cipriano R, Patton J, Mayo L, Jackson M. Inactivation of p53 signaling by p73 or PTEN ablation results in a transformed phenotype that remains susceptible to Nutlin-3 mediated apoptosis. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:1373-9 pubmed..Our novel and unexpected finding provides important information regarding the efficacy of Nutlin-3 and indicates that patients with tumors deficient in p53 function due to p73 or PTEN loss may benefit from Nutlin-3 treatment. ..
- Carrasquillo M, Belbin O, Hunter T, Ma L, Bisceglio G, Zou F, et al. Replication of BIN1 association with Alzheimer's disease and evaluation of genetic interactions. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;24:751-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, we provide additional evidence for the variant near BIN1 (rs744373) as a LOAD risk modifier, but our results indicate that the effect of EXOC3L2 independent of APOE ?4 should be studied further. ..
- Zick M, Wickner W. Phosphorylation of the effector complex HOPS by the vacuolar kinase Yck3p confers Rab nucleotide specificity for vacuole docking and fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3429-37 pubmed publisher..Thus guanine nucleotide specificity of the vacuolar fusion Rab Ypt7p is conferred through downstream posttranslational modification of its effector complex. ..
- Sharma A, Larue R, Plumb M, Malani N, Male F, Slaughter A, et al. BET proteins promote efficient murine leukemia virus integration at transcription start sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12036-41 pubmed publisher..These findings elucidate the importance of BET proteins for MLV integration efficiency and targeting and provide a route to developing safer MLV-based vectors for human gene therapy. ..
- Dotson R, Rabadi S, Westcott E, Bradley S, Catlett S, Banik S, et al. Repression of inflammasome by Francisella tularensis during early stages of infection. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:23844-57 pubmed publisher..tularensis. Collectively, this study provides evidence that F. tularensis LVS represses inflammasome activation and that F. tularensis-encoded FTL_0325 mediates this effect. ..
- Lopez M, Smerage J, Baker H. Multiple domains of repressor activator protein 1 contribute to facilitated binding of glycolysis regulatory protein 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:14112-7 pubmed..DNA.Gcr1p complexes was inhibited by all but the DNA-binding domain of Rap1p itself; however, the ability of each individual protein to bind the DNA probe was unaffected. ..
- Awwad R, Sergina N, Yang H, Ziober B, Willson J, Zborowska E, et al. The role of transforming growth factor alpha in determining growth factor independence. Cancer Res. 2003;63:4731-8 pubmed
- Dhar S, Lynn B, Daosukho C, St Clair D. Identification of nucleophosmin as an NF-kappaB co-activator for the induction of the human SOD2 gene. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:28209-19 pubmed..These results identify NPM as a partner of the NF-kappaB transcription complex in the induction of MnSOD by phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate and cytokines. ..
- Im H, Grass J, Johnson K, Kim S, Boyer M, Imbalzano A, et al. Chromatin domain activation via GATA-1 utilization of a small subset of dispersed GATA motifs within a broad chromosomal region. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:17065-70 pubmed..The differential utilization of dispersed GATA motifs therefore establishes spatial/temporal regulation and underlies the multistep activation mechanism. ..
- Dy P, Han Y, Lefebvre V. Generation of mice harboring a Sox5 conditional null allele. Genesis. 2008;46:294-9 pubmed publisher..This Sox5 conditional null allele will be valuable in further uncovering the in vivo roles of L-Sox5. ..
- Lunde B, Reichow S, Kim M, Suh H, Leeper T, Yang F, et al. Cooperative interaction of transcription termination factors with the RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:1195-201 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this cooperativity provides a signal-response mechanism to ensure that its action is confined only to proper polyadenylation sites where Ser2 phosphorylation density is highest. ..
- Sahoo T, Theisen A, Marble M, TERVO R, Rosenfeld J, Torchia B, et al. Microdeletion of Xq28 involving the AFF2 (FMR2) gene in two unrelated males with developmental delay. Am J Med Genet A. 2011;155A:3110-5 pubmed publisher..Both individuals had developmental and speech delay, and one had mild dysmorphism. We predict disruption of AFF2 in these two patients is likely the cause of their overlapping phenotypes. ..
- Smith A, Wen Y, Stevens P, Liu J, Wang C, Gao T. PHLPP negatively regulates cell motility through inhibition of Akt activity and integrin expression in pancreatic cancer cells. Oncotarget. 2016;7:7801-15 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study identified a tumor suppressor role of PHLPP in suppressing cell motility by negatively regulating integrin expression in pancreatic cancer cells. ..
- Holy J, Wessel G, Berg L, Gregg R, Schatten G. Molecular characterization and expression patterns of a B-type nuclear lamin during sea urchin embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 1995;168:464-78 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that, similar to vertebrates, cell differentiation in invertebrates can be accompanied by a change in lamin expression patterns. ..
- Micchelli C, Rulifson E, Blair S. The function and regulation of cut expression on the wing margin of Drosophila: Notch, Wingless and a dominant negative role for Delta and Serrate. Development. 1997;124:1485-95 pubmed..We propose that the boundary of Notch ligand along the normal margin plays a similar role as part of a dynamic feedback loop that maintains the tripartite pattern of margin gene expression. ..
- Saucedo L, Myers C, Perry M. Multiple murine double minute gene 2 (MDM2) proteins are induced by ultraviolet light. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:8161-8 pubmed..In addition, mdm2 mRNAs lacking exon 3 give rise to p76 exclusively, and such mRNAs are induced by p53 in response to UV light. These data indicate that p76 may be an important product of the mdm2 gene and a downstream effector of p53. ..
- Swanson D, Adachi M, Lewis E. The homeodomain protein Arix promotes protein kinase A-dependent activation of the dopamine beta-hydroxylase promoter through multiple elements and interaction with the coactivator cAMP-response element-binding protein-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:2911-23 pubmed
- Samuelson J, Chen M, Jiang F, Moller I, Wiedmann M, Kuhn A, et al. YidC mediates membrane protein insertion in bacteria. Nature. 2000;406:637-41 pubmed..These results provide evidence for an additional component of the translocation machinery that is specialized for the integration of membrane proteins...
- Muczynski K, Cotner T, Anderson S. Unusual expression of human lymphocyte antigen class II in normal renal microvascular endothelium. Kidney Int. 2001;59:488-97 pubmed..This discoordinate expression of HLA class II genes is unusual and may contribute to the kidney's ability to control CD4+ T-cell responses. ..
- Wilkinson D, Weller S. Recruitment of cellular recombination and repair proteins to sites of herpes simplex virus type 1 DNA replication is dependent on the composition of viral proteins within prereplicative sites and correlates with the induction of the DNA damage respon. J Virol. 2004;78:4783-96 pubmed
- Zhao L, Liu J, Sidhu G, Niu Y, Liu Y, Wang R, et al. Negative regulation of p53 functions by Daxx and the involvement of MDM2. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:50566-79 pubmed..Collectively, our data reveal Daxx as a novel negative regulator of p53. Importantly, posttranslational modifications of p53 inhibit Daxx-p53 interaction, thereby relieving negative regulation of p53 by Daxx. ..
- Gondi C, Talluri L, Dinh D, Gujrati M, Rao J. RNAi-mediated downregulation of MMP-2 activates the extrinsic apoptotic pathway in human glioma xenograft cells. Int J Oncol. 2009;35:851-9 pubmed..In summary, it is evident from our results that MMP-2 downregulation induces caspase-8 and AIF-mediated apoptosis and, as such, shows potential for glioma therapy. ..
- Chow K, Elgort S, Dasso M, Powers M, Ullman K. The SUMO proteases SENP1 and SENP2 play a critical role in nucleoporin homeostasis and nuclear pore complex function. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:160-8 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a new role for the pore-associated SENPs in nucleoporin homeostasis and in achieving proper configuration of the nuclear pore complex. ..
- Zhu J, Cuellar R, Berndt N, Lee H, Olesen S, Martin M, et al. Structural Basis of Wee Kinases Functionality and Inactivation by Diverse Small Molecule Inhibitors. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7863-7875 pubmed publisher..Combined, the data provide a comprehensive view on the catalytic and structural properties of Wee kinases and a framework for the rational design of novel inhibitors thereof. ..
- Carver L, Bradfield C. Ligand-dependent interaction of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor with a novel immunophilin homolog in vivo. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11452-6 pubmed..The observation that ARA9 has a high affinity for both the 90-kDa heat shock protein-associated and ligand-activated forms of the AHR suggests that ARA9 is a component of the AHR-signaling pathway in vivo. ..
- Zeng X, Chen L, Jost C, Maya R, Keller D, Wang X, et al. MDM2 suppresses p73 function without promoting p73 degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3257-66 pubmed..Hence, MDM2 is transcriptionally activated by p73 and, in turn, negatively regulates the function of this activator through a mechanism distinct from that used for p53 inactivation. ..
- Westmoreland J, McEwen J, Moore B, Jin Y, Condie B. Conserved function of Caenorhabditis elegans UNC-30 and mouse Pitx2 in controlling GABAergic neuron differentiation. J Neurosci. 2001;21:6810-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that some of the mechanisms regulating GABAergic differentiation are evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Capowski E, Esnault S, Bhattacharya S, Malter J. Y box-binding factor promotes eosinophil survival by stabilizing granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor mRNA. J Immunol. 2001;167:5970-6 pubmed..Thus, we propose a model whereby activation of eosinophils leads to YB-1 binding to and stabilization of GM-CSF mRNA, ultimately resulting in GM-CSF release and prolonged eosinophil survival. ..
- Impey S, Fong A, Wang Y, Cardinaux J, Fass D, Obrietan K, et al. Phosphorylation of CBP mediates transcriptional activation by neural activity and CaM kinase IV. Neuron. 2002;34:235-44 pubmed..Additionally, mutation of Ser301 impaired NMDA- and CaMKIV-stimulated transcription. These findings demonstrate that activity-induced CaMKIV signaling contributes to CREB/CBP-dependent transcription by phosphorylating CBP at Ser301. ..
- Edwards S, Li C, Levy D, Brown J, Snow P, Campbell J. Saccharomyces cerevisiae DNA polymerase epsilon and polymerase sigma interact physically and functionally, suggesting a role for polymerase epsilon in sister chromatid cohesion. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:2733-48 pubmed..We also show that trf5 Delta mutants, like trf4 Delta mutants, are defective in DNA repair and sister chromatid cohesion. ..
- Milligan Myhre K, Rooney P, Knoll L. Examination of a virulence mutant uncovers the ribosome biogenesis regulatory protein of Toxoplasma gondii. J Parasitol. 2011;97:1173-7 pubmed publisher..Epitope-tagged TgRRS1 was found to localize to the parasite nucleolus, in an area corresponding to the granular component region. TgRRS1 can serve as a marker for the sub-nucleolar granular component region of T. gondii. ..
- Bradley E, Carpio L, Westendorf J. Histone deacetylase 3 suppression increases PH domain and leucine-rich repeat phosphatase (Phlpp)1 expression in chondrocytes to suppress Akt signaling and matrix secretion. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:9572-82 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Hdac3 controls chondrocyte hypertrophy and matrix content by repressing Phlpp1 expression and facilitating Akt activity. ..
- Akiyoshi B, Nelson C, Biggins S. The aurora B kinase promotes inner and outer kinetochore interactions in budding yeast. Genetics. 2013;194:785-9 pubmed publisher..The Dsn1 component is crucial for kinetochore assembly and is phosphorylated by the Aurora B kinase. We found that Aurora B phosphorylation of Dsn1 promotes the interaction between outer and inner kinetochore proteins in budding yeast. ..
- Abdalla M, Goc A, Segar L, Somanath P. Akt1 mediates ?-smooth muscle actin expression and myofibroblast differentiation via myocardin and serum response factor. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33483-93 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight Akt1 as a novel potential therapeutic target for fibrotic diseases. ..
- Muddukrishna B, Jackson C, Yu M. Protein arginine methylation of Npl3 promotes splicing of the SUS1 intron harboring non-consensus 5' splice site and branch site. Biochim Biophys Acta Gene Regul Mech. 2017;1860:730-739 pubmed publisher..Based on these data, we propose a model in which Hmt1, via arginine methylation of Npl3, facilitates U1 snRNP engagement with the pre-mRNA to promote usage of non-consensus splice sites by the splicing machinery. ..
- Milakovic T, Quintanilla R, Johnson G. Mutant huntingtin expression induces mitochondrial calcium handling defects in clonal striatal cells: functional consequences. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:34785-95 pubmed
- Li D, Meier U, Dobrowolska G, Krebs E. Specific interaction between casein kinase 2 and the nucleolar protein Nopp140. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:3773-9 pubmed
- Wu P, Brockenbrough J, Metcalfe A, Chen S, Aris J. Nop5p is a small nucleolar ribonucleoprotein component required for pre-18 S rRNA processing in yeast. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:16453-63 pubmed..Also, 37C12 co-immunoprecipitated Nop1p. These results suggest that Nop5p functions with Nop1p in the execution of early pre-rRNA processing steps that lead to formation of 18 S rRNA. ..
- Halder G, Polaczyk P, Kraus M, Hudson A, Kim J, Laughon A, et al. The Vestigial and Scalloped proteins act together to directly regulate wing-specific gene expression in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3900-9 pubmed..Combinatorial regulation by selector proteins and signal transducers is likely to be a general feature of the tissue-specific control of gene expression during organogenesis. ..
- Hsiang C, Marten N, Straus D. Upstream region of rat serum albumin gene promoter contributes to promoter activity: presence of functional binding site for hepatocyte nuclear factor-3. Biochem J. 1999;338 ( Pt 2):241-9 pubmed..Additional results obtained with transfected HepG2 cells suggest that the HNF-3 Y site plays a lesser role in activation of transcription than the X site. ..
- Zong R, Das C, Tucker P. Regulation of matrix attachment region-dependent, lymphocyte-restricted transcription through differential localization within promyelocytic leukemia nuclear bodies. EMBO J. 2000;19:4123-33 pubmed..We suggest that Sp100 and LYSp100B interactions with Bright have different consequences for IgH transcription, potentially through differential association of E mu MARs with nuclear matrix- associated PML NBs and LANDs. ..
- Waterbury J, Horabin J, Bopp D, Schedl P. Sex determination in the Drosophila germline is dictated by the sexual identity of the surrounding soma. Genetics. 2000;155:1741-56 pubmed..Finally, our studies call into question the idea that a cell-autonomous X chromosome counting system plays a central role in germline sex determination. ..
- Pan J, Hinzmann B, Yan W, Wu F, Morser J, Wu Q. Genomic structures of the human and murine corin genes and functional GATA elements in their promoters. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38390-8 pubmed..Mutation of the core sequence impaired both GATA-4 binding and gene expression. These data indicate that the GATA element and its binding to GATA-4 are essential for cardiac expression of the human and murine corin genes. ..
- Yang W, Sperry A. C-terminal kinesin motor KIFC1 participates in acrosome biogenesis and vesicle transport. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:1719-29 pubmed..This article represents the first demonstration of a direct association of a molecular motor with the spermatid acrosome, the formation of which is essential for fertilization. ..
- Kichina J, Rauth S, Das Gupta T, Gudkov A. Melanoma cells can tolerate high levels of transcriptionally active endogenous p53 but are sensitive to retrovirus-transduced p53. Oncogene. 2003;22:4911-7 pubmed..Hence, the p53 pathway in malignant melanomas can be considered for pharmacological targeting and anticancer gene therapy. ..
- Amutha B, Gordon D, Gu Y, Pain D. A novel role of Mgm1p, a dynamin-related GTPase, in ATP synthase assembly and cristae formation/maintenance. Biochem J. 2004;381:19-23 pubmed..We show that Mgm1p serves as an upstream regulator of Tim11p protein stability, ATP synthase assembly, cristae morphology and cytochrome c storage within cristae. ..
- McBride A, Cook J, Stemmler E, Rutledge K, McGrath K, Rubens J. Arginine methylation of yeast mRNA-binding protein Npl3 directly affects its function, nuclear export, and intranuclear protein interactions. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30888-98 pubmed..These results support a model in which arginine methylation facilitates Npl3 export directly by weakening contacts with nuclear proteins. ..
- Hickman M, McCullough K, Woike A, Raducha Grace L, Rozario T, Dula M, et al. Isolation and characterization of conditional alleles of the yeast SIR2 gene. J Mol Biol. 2007;367:1246-57 pubmed..These results indicate that recognition of the binding partners of Sir2 is a key function of non-conserved sequences. ..
- Jacquemont C, Taniguchi T. Proteasome function is required for DNA damage response and fanconi anemia pathway activation. Cancer Res. 2007;67:7395-405 pubmed..The dependence of specific DNA damage-signaling steps on the proteasome may explain the sensitization of tumor cells to DNA-damaging chemotherapeutic agents by proteasome inhibitors. ..
- Liu Q, Pante N, Misteli T, Elsagga M, Crisp M, Hodzic D, et al. Functional association of Sun1 with nuclear pore complexes. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:785-98 pubmed..The implication is that Sun1 represents an important determinant of NPC distribution across the nuclear surface. ..
- Lin F, Shi J, Liu H, Hull M, Dupree W, Prichard J, et al. Diagnostic utility of S100P and von Hippel-Lindau gene product (pVHL) in pancreatic adenocarcinoma-with implication of their roles in early tumorigenesis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008;32:78-91 pubmed
- Neufeld K. Nuclear APC. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2009;656:13-29 pubmed..Clear definition of APC's nuclear function(s) will expand the possibilities for early colorectal cancer diagnostics and therapeutics targeted to APC. ..
- Hearst S, Lopez M, Shao Q, Liu Y, Vig P. Dopamine D2 receptor signaling modulates mutant ataxin-1 S776 phosphorylation and aggregation. J Neurochem. 2010;114:706-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together our data support a mechanism where PKA dependent mutant ataxin-1 phosphorylation and aggregation can be regulated by D2R/S100B signaling. ..
- Tae S, Karkhanis V, Velasco K, Yaneva M, Erdjument Bromage H, Tempst P, et al. Bromodomain protein 7 interacts with PRMT5 and PRC2, and is involved in transcriptional repression of their target genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:5424-38 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the role played by BRD7 in PRMT5- and PRC2-induced transcriptional silencing, and indicate that recruitment of specific RDMs and KDMs is required for efficient transcriptional derepression. ..
- Illuzzi J, Vickers C, Kmiec E. Modifications of p53 and the DNA damage response in cells expressing mutant form of the protein huntingtin. J Mol Neurosci. 2011;45:256-68 pubmed publisher..The lack of a proper p53-mediated signaling cascade or its alteration in the presence of DNA damage may contribute to the slow progression of cellular dysfunction which is a hallmark of HD pathology. ..
- Wallace L, Garwick Coppens S, Tupler R, Harper S. RNA interference improves myopathic phenotypes in mice over-expressing FSHD region gene 1 (FRG1). Mol Ther. 2011;19:2048-54 pubmed publisher..This approach potentially applies to as many as 29 different gene mutations responsible for myopathies inherited as dominant disorders. ..
- Butler D, Messer A. Bifunctional anti-huntingtin proteasome-directed intrabodies mediate efficient degradation of mutant huntingtin exon 1 protein fragments. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29199 pubmed publisher..Fusion of the mODC-PEST motif to intrabodies is a valuable general approach to specifically target toxic antigens to the proteasome for degradation. ..
- Przychodzen B, Jerez A, Guinta K, Sekeres M, Padgett R, Maciejewski J, et al. Patterns of missplicing due to somatic U2AF1 mutations in myeloid neoplasms. Blood. 2013;122:999-1006 pubmed publisher..These novel observations support the hypothesis that U2AF1 mutations play a significant role in myeloid leukemogenesis due to selective missplicing of tumor-associated genes. ..
- Agrawal A, Salsi E, Chatrikhi R, Henderson S, Jenkins J, Green M, et al. An extended U2AF(65)-RNA-binding domain recognizes the 3' splice site signal. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10950 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results advance the mechanistic understanding of molecular recognition for a major class of splice site signals. ..
- Lim H, Gupta R, Ma W, Paria B, Moller D, Morrow J, et al. Cyclo-oxygenase-2-derived prostacyclin mediates embryo implantation in the mouse via PPARdelta. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1561-74 pubmed..Several lines of evidence suggest that the effects of PGI2 are mediated by its activation of the nuclear hormone receptor PPARdelta, demonstrating the first reported biologic function of this receptor signaling pathway. ..
- Bultman S, Gebuhr T, Yee D, La Mantia C, Nicholson J, Gilliam A, et al. A Brg1 null mutation in the mouse reveals functional differences among mammalian SWI/SNF complexes. Mol Cell. 2000;6:1287-95 pubmed..In addition, Brg1 heterozygotes are predisposed to exencephaly and tumors. These results provide evidence that biochemically similar chromatin-remodeling complexes have dramatically different functions during mammalian development...
- Rao H, Uhlmann F, Nasmyth K, Varshavsky A. Degradation of a cohesin subunit by the N-end rule pathway is essential for chromosome stability. Nature. 2001;410:955-9 pubmed..A number of yeast proteins bear putative cleavage sites for the ESP1 separin, suggesting other physiological substrates and functions of the N-end rule pathway. ..