Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neoplasm staging in Sweden
Topic: neoplasm staging
- Glimelius B. Neo-adjuvant radiotherapy in rectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:8489-501 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, there is a great need to develop predictors of response, so that treatment can be further individualized and not solely based upon clinical factors and anatomic imaging. ..
- Fredlund E, Ringner M, Maris J, Påhlman S. High Myc pathway activity and low stage of neuronal differentiation associate with poor outcome in neuroblastoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14094-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that pathway-specific gene expression profiling might be useful in the clinic to adjust treatment strategies for children with neuroblastoma. ..
- Khatami A, Hugosson J, Wang W, Damber J. Ki-67 in screen-detected, low-grade, low-stage prostate cancer, relation to prostate-specific antigen doubling time, Gleason score and prostate-specific antigen relapse after radical prostatectomy. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2009;43:12-8 pubmed publisher..92) were associated significantly with the risk of disease progression. In men with screen-detected, clinically low-grade, low-stage prostate cancer, Ki-67 may be a valuable prognostic marker of PSA relapse after radical prostatectomy. ..
- D Haese J, Neumann J, Weniger M, Pratschke S, BjÃ¶rnsson B, Ardiles V, et al. Should ALPPS be Used for Liver Resection in Intermediate-Stage HCC?. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1335-43 pubmed publisher..The use of ALPPS for HCC remains prohibitive for most patients and should be performed only for a highly selected patient population younger than 60Â years with low-grade fibrosis. ..
- Ben Shabat I, Belgrano V, Ny L, Nilsson J, LindnÃ©r P, Olofsson Bagge R. Long-Term Follow-Up Evaluation of 68 Patients with Uveal Melanoma Liver Metastases Treated with Isolated Hepatic Perfusion. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23:1327-34 pubmed publisher..Whether IHP has a survival benefit compared with other treatment options currently is being investigated in a randomized trial. ..
- Hjerpe E, Egyhazi S, Carlson J, Stolt M, Schedvins K, Johansson H, et al. HSP60 predicts survival in advanced serous ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2013;23:448-55 pubmed publisher..All patients with low HSP60 levels responded to first-line chemotherapy. Heat shock protein 60 may identify groups of advanced serous ovarian cancer with different prognosis and treatment response. ..
- Alinezhad S, VÃ¤Ã¤nÃ¤nen R, Ochoa N, Vertosick E, Bjartell A, BostrÃ¶m P, et al. Global expression of AMACR transcripts predicts risk for prostate cancer - a systematic comparison of AMACR protein and mRNA expression in cancerous and noncancerous prostate. BMC Urol. 2016;16:10 pubmed publisher..Therefore patients with false negative biopsies might benefit from an AMACR mRNA measurement when assessing their cancer risk. ..
- Skirnisdottir I, Seidal T, Sorbe B. A new prognostic model comprising p53, EGFR, and tumor grade in early stage epithelial ovarian carcinoma and avoiding the problem of inaccurate surgical staging. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2004;14:259-70 pubmed
- Johanson V, Tisell L, Olbe L, Wangberg B, Nilsson O, Ahlman H. Comparison of survival between malignant neuroendocrine tumours of midgut and pancreatic origin. Br J Cancer. 1999;80:1259-61 pubmed..The presence of hepatic metastases implied a worse prognosis in neuroendocrine tumours of pancreatic rather than midgut origin. This infers that these tumour types must be separated when treatments are evaluated. ..
- Loftås P, Arbman G, Fomichov V, Hallbook O. Nodal involvement in luminal complete response after neoadjuvant treatment for rectal cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2016;42:801-7 pubmed publisher..00004). Luminal pathological complete response occurred in 8%, 16% of them had tumor positive nodes. The survival benefit of luminal complete response is dependent upon nodal involvement status. ..
- Landström F, Nilsson C, Reizenstein J, Nordqvist K, Adamsson G, Löfgren A. Electroporation therapy for T1 and T2 oral tongue cancer. Acta Otolaryngol. 2011;131:660-4 pubmed publisher..The functional outcome for speech and eating were very good. ..
- Venderbos L, Roobol M, Bangma C, van den Bergh R, Bokhorst L, Nieboer D, et al. Rule-based versus probabilistic selection for active surveillance using three definitions of insignificant prostate cancer. World J Urol. 2016;34:253-60 pubmed publisher..608 (nomogram). The performance of a nomogram, the Johns Hopkins, and PRIAS rule-based criteria are comparable. Because the nomogram allows individual trade-offs, it could be a good alternative to rigid rule-based criteria. ..
- ObÃ³n Santacana M, Lujan Barroso L, Travis R, Freisling H, Ferrari P, Severi G, et al. Acrylamide and Glycidamide Hemoglobin Adducts and Epithelial Ovarian Cancer: A Nested Case-Control Study in Nonsmoking Postmenopausal Women from the EPIC Cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016;25:127-34 pubmed publisher..It is unlikely that dietary acrylamide exposure increases ovarian cancer risk; however, additional studies with larger sample size should be performed to exclude any possible association with EOC risk. ..
- Sylvester R, Oosterlinck W, Holmang S, Sydes M, Birtle A, Gudjonsson S, et al. Systematic Review and Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis of Randomized Trials Comparing a Single Immediate Instillation of Chemotherapy After Transurethral Resection with Transurethral Resection Alone in Patients with Stage pTa-pT1 Urothelial Carc. Eur Urol. 2016;69:231-44 pubmed publisher
- Akrami R, Jacobsen A, Hoell J, Schultz N, Sander C, Larsson E. Comprehensive analysis of long non-coding RNAs in ovarian cancer reveals global patterns and targeted DNA amplification. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e80306 pubmed publisher..Our analysis provides testable hypotheses and paves the way for further study of lncRNAs based on TCGA and other large-scale cancer genomics datasets. ..
- Hennings J, Sundin A, Hägg A, Hellman P. 11C-metomidate positron emission tomography after dexamethasone suppression for detection of small adrenocortical adenomas in primary aldosteronism. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2010;395:963-7 pubmed publisher..In this series, dexamethasone-suppressed MTO-PET was unable to increase the tumour-to-normal adrenal ratio to further facilitate detection of small adenomas in PA as an alternative to adrenal venous sampling. ..
- Koyi H, Hillerdal G, Brandén E. Patient's and doctors' delays in the diagnosis of chest tumors. Lung Cancer. 2002;35:53-7 pubmed..e. around 7 months. The delays are in most instances fairly long. With a planned approach, the delays due to the doctors could probably be shortened. ..
- Boyages J, Kastanias K, Koelmeyer L, Winch C, Lam T, Sherman K, et al. Liposuction for Advanced Lymphedema: A Multidisciplinary Approach for Complete Reduction of Arm and Leg Swelling. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S1263-70 pubmed publisher..Liposuction is a safe and effective option for carefully selected patients with advanced lymphedema. Assessment, treatment, and follow-up by a multidisciplinary team is essential. ..
- Paulsson G, Andersson S, Sorbe B. A population-based series of ovarian carcinosarcomas with long-term follow-up. Anticancer Res. 2013;33:1003-8 pubmed..FIGO grade (grade 3 vs. 1-2) of the epithelial component of the tumor was also a significant prognostic factor in multivariate Cox analysis. ..
- Karlberg M, Ohrling K, Edler D, Hallström M, Ullén H, Ragnhammar P. Prognostic and predictive value of thymidylate synthase expression in primary colorectal cancer. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:645-51 pubmed..Patients with the highest level of TS expression (grade 3) had an improved clinical outcome following adjuvant 5-FU-based chemotherapy. ..
- Holmang S, Lele S, Johansson S. Squamous cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis and ureter: incidence, symptoms, treatment and outcome. J Urol. 2007;178:51-6 pubmed..New treatment modalities are urgently needed to improve the poor prognosis in patients with advanced stage squamous cell carcinoma and urothelial carcinoma of the upper urinary tract. ..
- Fransson S, Abel F, Kogner P, Martinsson T, Ejeskär K. Stage-dependent expression of PI3K/Akt?pathway genes in neuroblastoma. Int J Oncol. 2013;42:609-16 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of the expression of these PI3K genes can predict aggressive disease, and indicates stage-dependent involvement of PI3K-pathway members in neuroblastoma. ..
- Levan K, Partheen K, Osterberg L, Olsson B, Delle U, Eklind S, et al. Identification of a gene expression signature for survival prediction in type I endometrial carcinoma. Gene Expr. 2010;14:361-70 pubmed
- Nystrom H, Naredi P, Hafstrom L, Sund M. Type IV collagen as a tumour marker for colorectal liver metastases. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011;37:611-7 pubmed publisher..Type IV collagen has the potential to be used as tumour associated biomarker for CLM. These results indicate the importance of interaction between cancer cells and the stroma in the tumour microenvironment. ..
- Cashin P, Mahteme H, Graf W, Karlsson H, Larsson R, Nygren P. Activity ex vivo of cytotoxic drugs in patient samples of peritoneal carcinomatosis with special focus on colorectal cancer. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:435 pubmed publisher..In the CRC subset, analysis of correlation between ex vivo drug sensitivity and TTP was inconclusive due to the heterogeneous nature of the data. ..
- Skirnisdottir I, Mayrhofer M, Rydåker M, Akerud H, Isaksson A. Loss-of-heterozygosity on chromosome 19q in early-stage serous ovarian cancer is associated with recurrent disease. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:407 pubmed publisher..Further studies related to the findings of chromosomes 17 and 19 are needed to elucidate the molecular mechanism behind the recurring genomic aberrations and the poor clinical outcome. ..
- Hasselblom S, Hansson U, Olsson M, Torén L, Bergström A, Nilsson Ehle H, et al. High immunohistochemical expression of p-AKT predicts inferior survival in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated with immunochemotherapy. Br J Haematol. 2010;149:560-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, bcl-2 status could have prognostic importance also in the era of immunochemotherapy. ..
- Gustafsson A, Andersson M, Lagerstedt K, Lönnroth C, Nordgren S, Lundholm K. Receptor and enzyme expression for prostanoid metabolism in colorectal cancer related to tumor tissue PGE2. Int J Oncol. 2010;36:469-78 pubmed..Increased prostanoid activity in colon cancer tissue is related to cross-talk between tumor and stroma cells. ..
- Graflund M, Sorbe B, Bryne M, Karlsson M. The prognostic value of a histologic grading system, DNA profile, and MIB-1 expression in early stages of cervical squamous cell carcinomas. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002;12:149-57 pubmed..The IFG in the original or modified versions could predict low- and high-risk groups of tumors and therefore be of value in treatment planning for these patients. ..
- Levan K, Partheen K, Osterberg L, Helou K, Horvath G. Chromosomal alterations in 98 endometrioid adenocarcinomas analyzed with comparative genomic hybridization. Cytogenet Genome Res. 2006;115:16-22 pubmed..The results of the CGH analysis identify specific chromosomal regions affected by copy number changes, appropriate objects for further genetic studies. ..
- Graflund M, Sorbe B, Hussein A, Bryne M, Karlsson M. The prognostic value of histopathologic grading parameters and microvessel density in patients with early squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2002;12:32-41 pubmed..In conclusion, histopathologic malignancy grading systems provide valuable prognostic information in patients with early stage squamous cell carcinomas of the uterine cervix. ..
- Partheen K, Levan K, Osterberg L, Claesson I, Sundfeldt K, Horvath G. External validation suggests Integrin beta 3 as prognostic biomarker in serous ovarian adenocarcinomas. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:336 pubmed publisher..The loss of ITGB3 expression in tumours from deceased patients and high expression in tumours from survivors could be used as a biomarker for patients with advanced serous tumours. ..
- Cunningham J, Grimelius L, Sundin A, Agarwal S, Janson E. Malignant ileocaecal serotonin-producing carcinoid tumours: the presence of a solid growth pattern and/or Ki67 index above 1% identifies patients with a poorer prognosis. Acta Oncol. 2007;46:747-56 pubmed..This study also showed that Ki67 index <2% cannot, as previously suggested, be used to indicate a benign progression for this tumour category. ..
- Kimbung S, Johansson I, Danielsson A, Veerla S, Egyhazi Brage S, Frostvik Stolt M, et al. Transcriptional Profiling of Breast Cancer Metastases Identifies Liver Metastasis-Selective Genes Associated with Adverse Outcome in Luminal A Primary Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:146-57 pubmed publisher..001) among luminal A tumors. Extracellular matrix (stromal) genes can be used to partition breast cancer by site of relapse and may be used to further refine prognostication in ER positive primary breast cancer. ..
- Abdulqadhr G, Molin D, Aström G, Suurkula M, Johansson L, Hagberg H, et al. Whole-body diffusion-weighted imaging compared with FDG-PET/CT in staging of lymphoma patients. Acta Radiol. 2011;52:173-80 pubmed publisher..One small subcutaneous breast lymphoma was not seen but all other extranodal sites were detected by both techniques. Whole-body DWI is a promising technique for staging of both (aggressive and indolent) non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and HL. ..
- Skirnisdottir I, Seidal T. The apoptosis regulators p53, bax and PUMA: Relationship and impact on outcome in early stage (FIGO I-II) ovarian carcinoma after post-surgical taxane-based treatment. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:741-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, p53 bax status was an independent prognostic factor for survival in this study. ..
- Silander E, Jacobsson I, Bertéus Forslund H, Hammerlid E. Energy intake and sources of nutritional support in patients with head and neck cancer--a randomised longitudinal study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013;67:47-52 pubmed publisher..A prophylactic PEG did not significantly improve the enteral intake probably due to treatment side effects. ..
- Lindholm C, Hofer P, Jonsson H. Karyometric findings and prognosis of stage I cutaneous malignant melanomas. Acta Oncol. 1988;27:227-33 pubmed..Both a large variation (percentile 90-percentile 50) in nuclear area and a large standard deviation of form factor was related to a negative prognosis (p less than 0.0003 and p less than 0.04 respectively). ..
- Valentin L, Ameye L, Testa A, Lecuru F, Bernard J, Paladini D, et al. Ultrasound characteristics of different types of adnexal malignancies. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;102:41-8 pubmed..e., borderline ovarian tumors, primary invasive ovarian epithelial cancer stage 1, primary invasive ovarian epithelial cancer stages 2-4, rare types of malignancy, and metastatic tumors...
- Angenete E, Langenskiöld M, Falk P, Ivarsson M. Matrix metalloproteinases in rectal mucosa, tumour and plasma: response after preoperative irradiation. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2007;22:667-74 pubmed..High levels of MMP-1 in tumour and mucosa as well as MMP-2 in plasma may be correlated to risk of developing distant metastases. ..
- Widmark A, Fransson P, Franzen L, Littbrand B, Henriksson R. Daily-diary evaluated side-effects of conformal versus conventional prostatic cancer radiotherapy technique. Acta Oncol. 1997;36:499-507 pubmed..Sucralfate may be of value if conformal radiotherapy is used for dose escalation in prostatic cancer patients. ..
- Partheen K, Levan K, Osterberg L, Claesson I, Fallenius G, Sundfeldt K, et al. Four potential biomarkers as prognostic factors in stage III serous ovarian adenocarcinomas. Int J Cancer. 2008;123:2130-7 pubmed publisher..According to our results, the 4 biomarkers CLU, ITGB3, PRAME and CAPG may be used as prognostic factors for patients with stage III serous ovarian adenocarcinomas...
- Nord H, Segersten U, Sandgren J, Wester K, Busch C, Menzel U, et al. Focal amplifications are associated with high grade and recurrences in stage Ta bladder carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:1390-402 pubmed publisher..The observed overrepresentation of amplicons within high-grade and recurrent cases may be clinically useful for the identification of patients who will benefit from a more aggressive therapy. ..
- Murthy R, Arbman G, Gao J, Roodman G, Sun X. Legumain expression in relation to clinicopathologic and biological variables in colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:2293-9 pubmed..01) or in stroma (P = 0.04), had a better prognosis. The legumain expression may be involved in colorectal cancer development and have a prognostic value in the patients. ..
- Söderström T, Wadelius M, Andersson S, Johansson J, Johansson S, Granath F, et al. 5alpha-reductase 2 polymorphisms as risk factors in prostate cancer. Pharmacogenetics. 2002;12:307-12 pubmed..038). The SRD5A2 V89L and A49T polymorphisms were, however, not associated with altered prostate cancer risk. Further studies of the V89L polymorphism may lead to better understanding of the etiology of prostate cancer metastases. ..
- Graflund M, Sorbe B, Sigurdardottir S, Karlsson M. Relation between HPV-DNA and expression of p53, bcl-2, p21WAF-1, MIB-1, HER-2/neu and DNA ploidy in early cervical carcinoma: correlation with clinical outcome. Oncol Rep. 2004;12:169-76 pubmed..In conclusion, the HPV DNA subtype was a prognostic factor in early stage cervical cancer and it was associated with age, positive lymph nodes, tumor size, DNA ploidy and the proliferation marker MIB-1. ..
- Wettergren Y, Odin E, Carlsson G, Gustavsson B. MTHFR, MTR, and MTRR polymorphisms in relation to p16INK4A hypermethylation in mucosa of patients with colorectal cancer. Mol Med. 2010;16:425-32 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a relationship between genetic germ-line variants of the MTRR gene and p16 hypermethylation in mucosa, which may affect the clinical outcome of patients with colorectal cancer. ..
- Lagerstedt K, Kressner U, Lonnroth C, Nordgren S, Lundholm K. The role of combined allelic imbalance and mutations of p53 in tumor progression and survival following surgery for colorectal carcinoma. Int J Oncol. 2005;27:1707-15 pubmed..Thus, structural alterations within the gene seem less important than alterations in regions with potential control elements. ..
- Djos A, Martinsson T, Kogner P, Caren H. The RASSF gene family members RASSF5, RASSF6 and RASSF7 show frequent DNA methylation in neuroblastoma. Mol Cancer. 2012;11:40 pubmed publisher..This study shows that several genes belonging to the RASSF gene family are methylated in neuroblastoma. The genes RASSF5, RASSF6 and RASSF7 stand out as the most promising candidate genes for further investigations in neuroblastoma. ..
- Patschan O, Shariat S, Chade D, Karakiewicz P, Ashfaq R, Lotan Y, et al. Association of tumor-associated trypsin inhibitor (TATI) expression with molecular markers, pathologic features and clinical outcomes of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder. World J Urol. 2012;30:785-94 pubmed publisher..Its association with markers involved in the cell cycle, proliferation and inflammation serves as hypothesis for molecular interactions. ..
- Skoglund J, Emterling A, Arbman G, Anglard P, Sun X. Clinicopathological significance of stromelysin-3 expression in colorectal cancer. Oncology. 2004;67:67-72 pubmed..These results suggest that ST3 protein was more involved in the pathway of colorectal cancer development in females, distal locations, infiltrative growth patterns and microsatellite stability. ..
- Sandlund J, Ljungberg B, Wikstrom P, Grankvist K, Lindh G, Rasmuson T. Hypoxia-inducible factor-2alpha mRNA expression in human renal cell carcinoma. Acta Oncol. 2009;48:909-14 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that HIF-2alpha mRNA levels were higher in cRCC compared to pRCC and chRCC. Furthermore, HIF-2alpha mRNA levels were inversely related to TNM stage and nuclear grade in cRCC. ..
- Shabo I, Olsson H, Sun X, Svanvik J. Expression of the macrophage antigen CD163 in rectal cancer cells is associated with early local recurrence and reduced survival time. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:1826-31 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the expression of CD163 is more common after irradiation. ..
- Geli J, Kiss N, Kogner P, Larsson C. Suppression of RIZ in biologically unfavourable neuroblastomas. Int J Oncol. 2010;37:1323-30 pubmed..005). Suppression of RIZ1 is likely to contribute to the pathogenesis of biologically unfavourable neuroblastomas. In contrast to multiple other neoplasias, RIZ1 promoter methylation is not a common event in neuroblastoma. ..
- Yang L, Olsson B, Pfeifer D, Jonsson J, Zhou Z, Jiang X, et al. Knockdown of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-beta induces less differentiation and enhances cell-fibronectin adhesion of colon cancer cells. Oncogene. 2010;29:516-26 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, PPAR-beta seems to have a more important role in poorly metastatic cells than in highly metastatic ones. ..
- Andersson Y, Frisell J, Sylvan M, de Boniface J, Bergkvist L. Breast cancer survival in relation to the metastatic tumor burden in axillary lymph nodes. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:2868-73 pubmed publisher..The overall survival of pN1mi and pN0 patients did not differ. This study demonstrates a worse prognosis for patients with micrometastases than for node-negative patients. ..
- Hardell L, van Bavel B, Lindstrom G, Björnfoth H, Orgum P, Carlberg M, et al. Adipose tissue concentrations of p,p'-DDE and the risk for endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;95:706-11 pubmed..3, 95% CI = 0.6-8.6. The results suggest an interaction between p,p'-DDE and estrogen replacement drugs in the etiology of endometrial cancer, although no significant associations were found. ..
- Eklund Y, Aronsson A, Schmidtchen A, Relander T. Mycosis Fungoides: A Retrospective Study of 44 Swedish Cases. Acta Derm Venereol. 2016;96:669-73 pubmed publisher..Overall mortality was 25%, but only 11% could be verified as caused by MF. ..
- Petruson K, Mercke C, Lundberg L, Silander E, Hammerlid E. Longitudinal evaluation of patients with cancer in the oral tongue, tonsils, or base of tongue--does interstitial radiation dose affect quality of life?. Brachytherapy. 2005;4:271-7 pubmed..Patients with oral tongue, tonsil, or base of tongue cancer reported significant problems with dry mouth and swallowing solid food throughout this 3-year followup study. ..
- Janson E, Holmberg L, Stridsberg M, Eriksson B, Theodorsson E, Wilander E, et al. Carcinoid tumors: analysis of prognostic factors and survival in 301 patients from a referral center. Ann Oncol. 1997;8:685-90 pubmed..Thus, chromogranin A may prove to be an important prognostic marker for patients with carcinoid tumors. ..
- Boysen A, Wettergren Y, Sorensen B, Taflin H, Gustavson B, Spindler K. Cell-free DNA levels and correlation to stage and outcome following treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317730976 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we have found a trend towards a correlation with the risk of recurrence following resection of localized rectal cancer...
- Sandlund J, Hedberg Y, Bergh A, Grankvist K, Ljungberg B, Rasmuson T. Endoglin (CD105) expression in human renal cell carcinoma. BJU Int. 2006;97:706-10 pubmed..Endoglin expression did not add further prognostic information. These results indicate that endoglin expression is inversely related to stage and grade in RCC, and that it is associated with prognosis. ..
- Corin I, Larsson L, Bergström J, Gustavsson B, Derwinger K. A study of the expression of Cyclin E and its isoforms in tumor and adjacent mucosa, correlated to patient outcome in early colon cancer. Acta Oncol. 2010;49:63-9 pubmed publisher..A high expression of cyclin E in tumor was associated with an increased risk of tumor recurrence and a worse outcome. It could be a possible prognostic marker in non-metastatic colon cancer. ..
- Caren H, Abel F, Kogner P, Martinsson T. High incidence of DNA mutations and gene amplifications of the ALK gene in advanced sporadic neuroblastoma tumours. Biochem J. 2008;416:153-9 pubmed..The results of the present study support that the ALK protein contributes to NB oncogenesis providing a highly interesting putative therapeutic target in a subset of unfavourable NB tumours. ..
- Langenskiöld M, Holmdahl L, Angenete E, Falk P, Nordgren S, Ivarsson M. Differential prognostic impact of uPA and PAI-1 in colon and rectal cancer. Tumour Biol. 2009;30:210-20 pubmed publisher..uPA and PAI-1 have a differential prognostic impact in colon and rectal cancer. Preoperative mucosal uPA and plasma PAI-1 protein expression could possibly be used as prognostic factors in rectal cancer. ..
- Holmlund C, Haapasalo H, Yi W, Raheem O, Brannstrom T, Bragge H, et al. Cytoplasmic LRIG2 expression is associated with poor oligodendroglioma patient survival. Neuropathology. 2009;29:242-7 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of an LRIG protein showing a negative effect on survival, suggesting that LRIG2 might have a function different from that of LRIG1, and possibly contributing to the etiology of oligodendroglioma. ..
- Hellman K, Lundell M, Silfversward C, Nilsson B, Hellström A, Frankendal B. Clinical and histopathologic factors related to prognosis in primary squamous cell carcinoma of the vagina. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006;16:1201-11 pubmed..Increased knowledge concerning complementary biologic markers to discriminate between low- and high malignant tumors is however of great importance...
- Ejeskär K, Abel F, Sjoberg R, Backstrom J, Kogner P, Martinsson T. Fine mapping of the human preprocortistatin gene (CORT) to neuroblastoma consensus deletion region 1p36.3-->p36.2, but absence of mutations in primary tumors. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 2000;89:62-6 pubmed..Through genomic sequencing we made mutation analyses of exonic sequences in 49 primary neuroblastomas of all different stages, but no mutations could be detected. ..
- Zhou W, Muggerud A, Vu P, Due E, Sørlie T, Børresen Dale A, et al. Full sequencing of TP53 identifies identical mutations within in situ and invasive components in breast cancer suggesting clonal evolution. Mol Oncol. 2009;3:214-9 pubmed publisher..Presence of the same mutation in both DCIS and invasive components from the same tumor indicates same cellular origin. The role of mutant TP53 in the progression of breast cancer is less clear and may vary between subtypes. ..
- Lindgren P, Backstrom T, Cajander S, Damber M, Mählck C, Zhu D, et al. The pattern of estradiol and progesterone differs in serum and tissue of benign and malignant ovarian tumors. Int J Oncol. 2002;21:583-9 pubmed
- Magnusson K, de Wit M, Brennan D, Johnson L, McGee S, Lundberg E, et al. SATB2 in combination with cytokeratin 20 identifies over 95% of all colorectal carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:937-48 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the specific expression of SATB2 in a large majority of CRCs suggests that SATB2 can be used as an important complementary tool for the differential diagnosis of carcinoma of unknown primary origin. ..
- Giwercman A, Lundin K, Eberhard J, Ståhl O, Cwikiel M, Cavallin Stahl E, et al. Linkage between androgen receptor gene CAG trinucleotide repeat length and testicular germ cell cancer histological type and clinical stage. Eur J Cancer. 2004;40:2152-8 pubmed..The median CAG length was higher if the tumour was metastasing at diagnosis. This is the first study showing an association between the AR polymorphism and histological type as well as the progression rate of TGCC. ..
- Cashin P, Graf W, Nygren P, Mahteme H. Intraoperative hyperthermic versus postoperative normothermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for colonic peritoneal carcinomatosis: a case-control study. Ann Oncol. 2012;23:647-52 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to compare HIPEC and SPIC with respect to overall survival, disease-free survival, morbidity, and mortality in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis from colon cancer...
- Lidgren A, Hedberg Y, Grankvist K, Rasmuson T, Vasko J, Ljungberg B. The expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha is a favorable independent prognostic factor in renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:1129-35 pubmed..These data indicate that HIF-1alpha is involved in tumorogenesis and progression of RCC. Evaluation of other HIF target gene products and correlation to angiogenesis seems warranted. ..
- van de Velde C, Boelens P, Tanis P, Espin E, Mroczkowski P, Naredi P, et al. Experts reviews of the multidisciplinary consensus conference colon and rectal cancer 2012: science, opinions and experiences from the experts of surgery. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2014;40:454-68 pubmed publisher..IV colorectal cancer, definitions of quality of surgery, transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM), laparoscopic colon and rectal surgery, preoperative radiotherapy and chemoradiotherapy, and how about functional outcome after surgery? ..
- Mannan A, Hahn Strömberg V. K-ras mutations are correlated to lymph node metastasis and tumor stage, but not to the growth pattern of colon carcinoma. APMIS. 2012;120:459-68 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, complexity index and K-ras mutations are independent events; however, both correlate with tumor progression and are important in the biologic development of colon carcinoma. ..
- Andreasson H, Graf W, Nygren P, Glimelius B, Mahteme H. Outcome differences between debulking surgery and cytoreductive surgery in patients with Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2012;38:962-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, if surgically possible, CRS should be the treatment of choice for PMP patients. However, debulking surgery may still be of benefit to selected patients for palliative purposes. ..
- Osterberg L, Akeson M, Levan K, Partheen K, Zetterqvist B, Brannstrom M, et al. Genetic alterations of serous borderline tumors of the ovary compared to stage I serous ovarian carcinomas. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2006;167:103-8 pubmed
- Friesland S, Mellin H, Munck Wikland E, Nilsson A, Lindholm J, Dalianis T, et al. Human papilloma virus (HPV) and p53 immunostaining in advanced tonsillar carcinoma--relation to radiotherapy response and survival. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:529-34 pubmed..In conclusion, although presence of HPV and p53 immunoreactivity in tonsillar carcinoma could not be related to RT response, determination of HPV and p53 status may still prove useful as predictive/prognostic markers. ..
- Ohrling K, Edler D, Hallström M, Ragnhammar P. Mismatch repair protein expression is an independent prognostic factor in sporadic colorectal cancer. Acta Oncol. 2010;49:797-804 pubmed publisher..Conclusion. This study reveals that IHC of MLH1 and MSH2 expression can yield important prognostic information but is not a predictive factor for adjuvant 5-FU-based chemotherapy in sporadic CRC. ..
- Yang Y, Shao N, Luo G, Li L, Zheng L, Nilsson Ehle P, et al. Mutations of PTEN gene in gliomas correlate to tumor differentiation and short-term survival rate. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:981-5 pubmed..80), respectively. The present study suggests that PTEN mutations are late events in the malignant progression of glioma and the occurrence of PTEN mutations are significantly correlated to patients' short-term survival. ..