Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mutagens in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
- Odell A, Odell L, Askham J, Alogheli H, Ponnambalam S, Hollstein M. A novel p53 mutant found in iatrogenic urothelial cancers is dysfunctional and can be rescued by a second-site global suppressor mutation. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:16704-14 pubmed publisher..Rare mutations thus do not necessarily point to sites where amino acid exchanges are phenotypically neutral. Encounter with mutagenic insults targeting cryptic sites can reveal specific signature hotspots. ..
- Downs J, Kosmidou E, Morgan A, Jackson S. Suppression of homologous recombination by the Saccharomyces cerevisiae linker histone. Mol Cell. 2003;11:1685-92 pubmed..Finally, we show that Hho1p is inhibitory to the recombination-dependent mechanism of telomere maintenance. The role of linker histones in genome stability, aging, and tumorigenesis is discussed. ..
- McCaffrey R, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. Drosophila mus301/spindle-C encodes a helicase with an essential role in double-strand DNA break repair and meiotic progression. Genetics. 2006;174:1273-85 pubmed..However, neither mei-W68 nor mei-41 rescue the defects in oocyte specification of mus301 mutants, suggesting that this helicase has another function in oocyte selection that is independent from its role in meiotic recombination. ..
- Cockburn A, Bradford R, Buck N, Constable A, Edwards G, Haber B, et al. Approaches to the safety assessment of engineered nanomaterials (ENM) in food. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:2224-42 pubmed publisher..The safety testing strategy is considered applicable to variations in ENM size within the nanoscale and to new generations of ENM. ..
- Mankouri H, Ashton T, Hickson I. Holliday junction-containing DNA structures persist in cells lacking Sgs1 or Top3 following exposure to DNA damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:4944-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that HJ resolvases and Sgs1-Top3-Rmi1 comprise two independent processes to deal with HJ-containing DNA intermediates arising during HRR in S-phase. ..
- Kirkland D, Reeve L, Gatehouse D, Vanparys P. A core in vitro genotoxicity battery comprising the Ames test plus the in vitro micronucleus test is sufficient to detect rodent carcinogens and in vivo genotoxins. Mutat Res. 2011;721:27-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, there is no convincing evidence that any genotoxic rodent carcinogens or in vivo genotoxins would remain undetected in an in vitro test battery consisting of Ames+MNvit. ..
- Acevedo Arozena A, Wells S, Potter P, Kelly M, Cox R, Brown S. ENU mutagenesis, a way forward to understand gene function. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2008;9:49-69 pubmed..N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis has been widely used for both approaches to generate mouse mutants. Here we review progress in ENU mutagenesis screening, with an emphasis on creating mouse models for human disorders. ..
- Brooks R, Gooderham N, Zhao K, Edwards R, Howard L, Boobis A, et al. 2-Amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine is a potent mutagen in the mouse small intestine. Cancer Res. 1994;54:1665-71 pubmed
- Kirkland D, Beevers C. Induction of LacZ mutations in Muta Mouse can distinguish carcinogenic from non-carcinogenic analogues of diaminotoluenes and nitronaphthalenes. Mutat Res. 2006;608:88-96 pubmed..Robust carcinogenicity data are needed to determine whether 2-NNT can induce tumours in the liver and bladder...
- Klungland A, Rosewell I, Hollenbach S, Larsen E, Daly G, Epe B, et al. Accumulation of premutagenic DNA lesions in mice defective in removal of oxidative base damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:13300-5 pubmed
- Elder R, Jansen J, Weeks R, Willington M, Deans B, Watson A, et al. Alkylpurine-DNA-N-glycosylase knockout mice show increased susceptibility to induction of mutations by methyl methanesulfonate. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5828-37 pubmed..These results clearly show an important role for APNG in attenuating the mutagenic effects of N-alkylpurines in vivo. ..
- Jaendling A, Ramayah S, Pryce D, McFarlane R. Functional characterisation of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe homologue of the leukaemia-associated translocation breakpoint binding protein translin and its binding partner, TRAX. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:203-13 pubmed..We find no evidence for translin and/or TRAX primary function in these pathways, indicating that the conserved biochemical function of translin is not implicated in primary pathways for regulating genome stability and/or segregation. ..
- Assem F, Levy L. A review of current toxicological concerns on vanadium pentoxide and other vanadium compounds: gaps in knowledge and directions for future research. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2009;12:289-306 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, important knowledge gaps preclude confident classification and risk assessment for all vanadium compounds. Evidence suggests that further research that may address some of these critical gaps is needed...
- Toft N, Winton D, Kelly J, Howard L, Dekker M, te Riele H, et al. Msh2 status modulates both apoptosis and mutation frequency in the murine small intestine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:3911-5 pubmed