Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on molecular sequence data in Brazil
Topic: molecular sequence data
Publications236 found, 100 shown here
- Guimarães L, Bajay M, Wunderlich G, Bueno M, Rohe F, Catão Dias J, et al. The genetic diversity of Plasmodium malariae and Plasmodium brasilianum from human, simian and mosquito hosts in Brazil. Acta Trop. 2012;124:27-32 pubmed publisher..brasilianum as has been proposed in recent studies. Taken together, our data show that based on the microsatellite data there is a relatively restricted polymorphism of P. malariae parasites as opposed to other geographic locations...
- de Souza F, Gomes S. A P-type ATPase from the aquatic fungus Blastocladiella emersonii similar to animal Na,K-ATPases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1383:183-7 pubmed
- Borges J, Fischer H, Craievich A, Hansen L, Ramos C. Free human mitochondrial GrpE is a symmetric dimer in solution. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35337-44 pubmed..The low resolution structure of human GrpE presented here suggests that GrpE is a symmetric dimer when not bound to DnaK. This information is important for understanding the conformational changes GrpE undergoes on binding to DnaK. ..
- Cunha R, Santana A, Amaral P, Carvalho M, Carvalho D, Cavalheiro E, et al. Primary structure, behavioral and electroencephalographic effects of an epileptogenic peptide from the sea anemone Bunodosoma cangicum. Toxicon. 2005;45:207-17 pubmed..These results suggest that CGX may be an important tool to develop a new experimental model of status epilepticus which may contribute to understanding the etiology of epilepsy and to test the effects of new antiepileptic drugs. ..
- Sforça M, Machado A, Figueredo R, Oyama S, Silva F, Miranda A, et al. The micelle-bound structure of an antimicrobial peptide derived from the alpha-chain of bovine hemoglobin isolated from the tick Boophilus microplus. Biochemistry. 2005;44:6440-51 pubmed..Hb33-61a does not possess a well-defined amphipathic nature, and H/D exchange experiments show that while the C-terminal region is embedded in the SDS micelle, one face of the N-terminal half is partly exposed to the solvent. ..
- Spilki F, Almeida R, Domingues H, D Arce R, Ferreira H, Campalans J, et al. Phylogenetic relationships of Brazilian bovine respiratory syncytial virus isolates and molecular homology modeling of attachment glycoprotein. Virus Res. 2006;116:30-7 pubmed..Possible consequences on the biological effects induced by such mutation on the G protein are discussed. ..
- Nascimento A, Santana E, Braz A, Alfenas P, Pio Ribeiro G, Andrade G, et al. Cowpea aphid-borne mosaic virus (CABMV) is widespread in passionfruit in Brazil and causes passionfruit woodiness disease. Arch Virol. 2006;151:1797-809 pubmed..Together, these results provide unequivocal evidence that, in Brazil, passionfruit woodiness disease is primarily caused by CABMV. The presence of PWV in Brazil has yet to be confirmed. ..
- Alves B, Oyama S, Gozzo F, Sanches M, Guimarães B, Zanchin N. Characterization of the human ortholog of Mov34 reveals eight N-terminal residues important for MPN domain stability. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:608-15 pubmed..However, clones lacking residues 1-8 show lower expression levels and thermal stability, indicating that residues 1-8 are required for proper folding and stability of this particular MPN domain. ..
- Ahn I, Winter C. The genome of Oscheius tipulae: determination of size, complexity, and structure by DNA reassociation using fluorescent dye. Genome. 2006;49:1007-15 pubmed..elegans or C. briggsae subtelomeric regions. DAPI staining of hermaphrodite gonad cells show that, as detected in C. elegans and other rhabditids, O. tipulae have a haploid complement of 6 chromosomes...
- Riffel A, Brandelli A, Bellato C, Souza G, Eberlin M, Tavares F. Purification and characterization of a keratinolytic metalloprotease from Chryseobacterium sp. kr6. J Biotechnol. 2007;128:693-703 pubmed
- Discola K, de Oliveira M, Rosa Cussiol J, Monteiro G, Bárcena J, Porras P, et al. Structural aspects of the distinct biochemical properties of glutaredoxin 1 and glutaredoxin 2 from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Mol Biol. 2009;385:889-901 pubmed publisher..Mutagenesis studies supported this hypothesis. The observed structural and functional differences between yGrx1 and yGrx2 may reflect variations in substrate specificity. ..
- Romero Vargas F, Ponce Soto L, Martins de Souza D, Marangoni S. Biological and biochemical characterization of two new PLA2 isoforms Cdc-9 and Cdc-10 from Crotalus durissus cumanensis snake venom. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2010;151:66-74 pubmed publisher..However, p-BPB strongly diminishes the local and systemic myotoxic effects...
- Menezes C, Bonugli santos R, Miqueletto P, Passarini M, Silva C, Justo M, et al. Microbial diversity associated with algae, ascidians and sponges from the north coast of São Paulo state, Brazil. Microbiol Res. 2010;165:466-82 pubmed publisher..The combined data gathered from this investigation contribute to broaden the knowledge of microbial diversity associated to marine macroorganisms, including as a promising source for the discovery of new natural products. ..
- Megid J, Teixeira C, Amorin R, Cortez A, Heinemann M, de Paula Antunes J, et al. First identification of canine distemper virus in hoary fox (Lycalopex vetulus): pathologic aspects and virus phylogeny. J Wildl Dis. 2010;46:303-5 pubmed..This paper characterizes the first case of natural CDV infection in hoary fox, including the clinical and pathologic aspects of the disease as well as the viral strain phylogeny. ..
- Carpp L, Galler R, Bonaldo M. Interaction between the yellow fever virus nonstructural protein NS3 and the host protein Alix contributes to the release of infectious particles. Microbes Infect. 2011;13:85-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that NS3 supplied in trans rescues this effect. We propose that the interaction between NS3 and Alix contributes to YFV release. ..
- Huancahuire Vega S, Ponce Soto L, Martins de Souza D, Marangoni S. Biochemical and pharmacological characterization of PhTX-I a new myotoxic phospholipase A2 isolated from Porthidium hyoprora snake venom. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2011;154:108-19 pubmed publisher..In vitro, both induced low cytotoxicity in skeletal muscle myoblasts, however PhTX-I PLA(2) was able to lyse myotubes. ..
- Souza T, Santos C, Souza A, Oldiges D, Ruller R, Prade R, et al. Structure of a novel thermostable GH51 α-L-arabinofuranosidase from Thermotoga petrophila RKU-1. Protein Sci. 2011;20:1632-7 pubmed publisher..Crystal packing analysis shows that the biological hexamer encompasses a dimer of trimers and the multiple oligomeric interfaces are predominantly fashioned by polar and electrostatic contacts. ..
- Gurgel Goncalves R, Cura C, Schijman A, Cuba C. Infestation of Mauritia flexuosa palms by triatomines (Hemiptera: Reduviidae), vectors of Trypanosoma cruzi and Trypanosoma rangeli in the Brazilian savanna. Acta Trop. 2012;121:105-11 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that R. neglectus plays an important role in maintaining the enzootic circulation of T. cruzi and T. rangeli in the Brazilian savanna. ..
- Pinto M, Fensterseifer I, Migliolo L, Sousa D, de Capdville G, Arboleda Valencia J, et al. Identification and structural characterization of novel cyclotide with activity against an insect pest of sugar cane. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:134-47 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis was supported by in silico analyses, which suggested that parigidin-br1 is able to complex with cell lipids. Overall, the results suggest promise for the development of parigidin-br1 as a novel biopesticide. ..
- Pereira A, Alfenas Zerbini P, Cascardo R, Andrade E, Murilo Zerbini F. Analysis of the full-length genome sequence of papaya lethal yellowing virus (PLYV), determined by deep sequencing, confirms its classification in the genus Sobemovirus. Arch Virol. 2012;157:2009-11 pubmed publisher..Pairwise comparisons and phylogenetic analysis based on complete nucleotide sequences confirm the classification of PLYV in the genus Sobemovirus...
- Farah C, Reinach F. The troponin complex and regulation of muscle contraction. FASEB J. 1995;9:755-67 pubmed..This review discusses these recent advances with the aim of critically assessing molecular models of the nature of the Ca(2+)-induced structural transition in troponin. ..
- Lomba M, Vasconcelos A, Pacheco A, de Almeida D. Identification of yebG as a DNA damage-inducible Escherichia coli gene. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1997;156:119-22 pubmed..The yebG product is predicted to be a 96 amino acid residue, 10.7 kDa protein whose function is not yet known. Unlike other SOS genes, the construct carrying the yebG regulatory region is not stationary phase inducible. ..
- De Souza C, Carvalho L, De Almeida E, Gander E. Towards the identification of cassava root protein genes. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2002;57:353-63 pubmed..The expression pattern of these proteins was well-defined within the different layers. Partial protein sequence analyses and preliminary results on the layer-specific expression pattern obtained with Northern analyses are presented. ..
- Roberto P, Kashima S, Marcussi S, Pereira J, Astolfi Filho S, Nomizo A, et al. Cloning and identification of a complete cDNA coding for a bactericidal and antitumoral acidic phospholipase A2 from Bothrops jararacussu venom. Protein J. 2004;23:273-85 pubmed..This is the first report on the isolation and identification of a cDNA encoding a complete acidic PLA2 from Bothrops venom, exhibiting bactericidal and antitumoral effects. ..
- Marroni A, Metzger I, Souza Costa D, Nagassaki S, Sandrim V, Correa R, et al. Consistent interethnic differences in the distribution of clinically relevant endothelial nitric oxide synthase genetic polymorphisms. Nitric Oxide. 2005;12:177-82 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest a consistent difference in the distribution of eNOS genetic variants in blacks compared with whites and indicate that the interethnic differences do not vary with geographic origin. ..
- Martins Silva C, Ferreira L, Cyr M, Koenen J, Fernandes D, Carvalho N, et al. A rat homologue of CED-6 is expressed in neurons and interacts with clathrin. Brain Res. 2006;1119:1-12 pubmed..The present findings suggest that CED-6 may have a role in endocytic trafficking or signaling in neurons. ..
- Assumpção M, de Souza E, Yates M, de Oliveira Pedrosa F, Benelli E. Purification and characterisation of Azospirillum brasilense N-truncated NtrX protein. Protein Expr Purif. 2007;53:302-8 pubmed..Together our results suggest that NtrX is active in the phosphorylated form and that there may be a cross-talk between the NtrYX and NtrBC regulatory systems in A. brasilense. ..
- Assumpção T, Francischetti I, Andersen J, Schwarz A, Santana J, Ribeiro J. An insight into the sialome of the blood-sucking bug Triatoma infestans, a vector of Chagas' disease. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:213-32 pubmed publisher..We present the analysis of a set of 1534 (SG) cDNA sequences, 645 of which coded for proteins of a putative secretory nature. Most salivary proteins described as lipocalins matched peptide sequences obtained from proteomic results...
- Diz Filho E, Marangoni S, Toyama D, Fagundes F, Oliveira S, Fonseca F, et al. Enzymatic and structural characterization of new PLA2 isoform isolated from white venom of Crotalus durissus ruruima. Toxicon. 2009;53:104-14 pubmed publisher..75mM and 0.4muM, respectively. In addition, PLA2A showed a significant antibacterial effect that was not strictly dependent on the enzymatic activity of such sPLA2. ..
- de Sousa S, Rosselli L, Kiyota E, da Silva J, Souza G, Peroni L, et al. Structural and kinetic characterization of a maize aldose reductase. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2009;47:98-104 pubmed publisher..Diverse functions may have evolved for maize AKRs in association with specific physiological requirements of kernel development. ..
- Vieira C, Nunes M, da Silva E, Carvalho V, Nunes Neto J, Cruz A, et al. Full-length sequencing and genetic characterization of Breu Branco virus (Reoviridae, Orbivirus) and two related strains isolated from Anopheles mosquitoes. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:2183-90 pubmed publisher..Breu Branco virus is the first Brazilian orbivirus and the fifth orbivirus in the world to be sequenced fully...
- Trevisan Silva D, Gremski L, Chaim O, da Silveira R, Meissner G, Mangili O, et al. Astacin-like metalloproteases are a gene family of toxins present in the venom of different species of the brown spider (genus Loxosceles). Biochimie. 2010;92:21-32 pubmed publisher..This study identified the existence of gene family of astacin-like toxins in the venoms of brown spiders and raises the possibility that these molecules are involved in the deleterious effects triggered by the venom. ..
- Bregge Silva C, Nonato M, de Albuquerque S, Ho P, Junqueira de Azevedo I, Vasconcelos Diniz M, et al. Isolation and biochemical, functional and structural characterization of a novel L-amino acid oxidase from Lachesis muta snake venom. Toxicon. 2012;60:1263-76 pubmed publisher..It presents antiparasitic activity on Leishmania brasiliensis (IC??: 2.22 ?g/mL), but Trypanosoma cruzi was resistant to LmLAAO. In conclusion, LmLAAO showed low systemic toxicity but important in vitro pharmacological actions. ..
- de Menezes C, Afonso R, de Souza W, Parma M, de Melo I, Zucchi T, et al. Gordonia didemni sp. nov. an actinomycete isolated from the marine ascidium Didemnum sp. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2016;109:297-303 pubmed publisher..Based on the data obtained, the isolate B204(T) (=CBMAI 1069(T) = DSM 46679(T)) should therefore be classified as the type strain of a novel species of the genus Gordonia, for which the name Gordonia didemni sp. nov. is proposed. ..
- Zaqueo K, Kayano A, Domingos T, Moura L, Fuly A, Da Silva S, et al. BbrzSP-32, the first serine protease isolated from Bothrops brazili venom: Purification and characterization. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2016;195:15-25 pubmed publisher..BbrzSP-32 shows stability against pH and temperature variations, demonstrating optimum activity between 30 and 40 Â°C and in the pH range 7.5 to 8.5. A new SP with potential biotechnological application was isolated. ..
- Reinach F, Karlsson R. Cloning, expression, and site-directed mutagenesis of chicken skeletal muscle troponin C. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:2371-6 pubmed
- Mehta A, Rosato Y. Phylogenetic relationships of Xylella fastidiosa strains from different hosts, based on 16S rDNA and 16S-23S intergenic spacer sequences. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2001;51:311-8 pubmed..These results show that this strain does not belong to the Xylella fastidiosa genomic species...
- Pessoa L, da Silva I, Baptista H, Pesquero J, Paiva A, Bader M, et al. Molecular structure and alternative splicing of the human carboxypeptidase M gene. Biol Chem. 2002;383:263-9 pubmed..RNA extracted from tumor tissues contained more CPM mRNA than control tissue, suggesting an upregulation of CPM expression in tumors and raising the question of the role of this enzyme in cancer. ..
- Dumans A, Soares M, Machado E, Hue S, Brindeiro R, Pillay D, et al. Synonymous genetic polymorphisms within Brazilian human immunodeficiency virus Type 1 subtypes may influence mutational routes to drug resistance. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1232-8 pubmed..The findings of the present study illustrate an important mechanism by which a subtype may determine genetic routes to resistance, with implications for treatment strategies for populations infected with HIV-1 subtype F. ..
- de Lima L, Pinedo F, Ribeiro B, Zanotto P, Wolff J. Identification, expression and phylogenetic analysis of the Anticarsia gemmatalis multicapsid nucleopolyhedrovirus (AgMNPV) Helicase gene. Virus Genes. 2004;29:345-52 pubmed
- Diz M, Carvalho A, Rodrigues R, Neves Ferreira A, DA Cunha M, Alves E, et al. Antimicrobial peptides from chili pepper seeds causes yeast plasma membrane permeabilization and inhibits the acidification of the medium by yeast cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1760:1323-32 pubmed..cerevisiae cells in a dose-dependent manner and caused the permeabilization of yeast plasma membrane to the dye SYTOX Green, as verified by confocal laser microscopy. ..
- Franco O, Murad A, Leite J, Mendes P, Prates M, Bloch C. Identification of a cowpea gamma-thionin with bactericidal activity. FEBS J. 2006;273:3489-97 pubmed..The use of plant defensins in the construction of transgenic plants and also in the production of novel drugs with activity against human pathogens is discussed. ..
- Costa Neto C, Parreiras E Silva L, Ruller R, Oliveira E, Miranda A, Oliveira L, et al. Molecular modeling of the human eukaryotic translation initiation factor 5A (eIF5A) based on spectroscopic and computational analyses. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:634-40 pubmed..Furthermore, analysis of amino acid variability between different human eIF5A isoforms revealed peculiar structural characteristics that are of functional relevance. ..
- Bonfim V, Ponce Soto L, Martins de Souza D, Souza G, Baldasso P, Eberlin M, et al. Structural and functional characterization of myotoxin, Cr-IV 1, a phospholipase A2 D49 from the venom of the snake Calloselasma rhodostoma. Biologicals. 2008;36:168-76 pubmed publisher..c.v.) injection. The combination of structural and functional information obtained herein classifies Cr-IV 1 as a new member of the D49 PLA(2) family, as it presents the typical behavior of a phospholipase A(2) from this family. ..
- Pelegrini P, Murad A, Silva L, Dos Santos R, Costa F, Tagliari P, et al. Identification of a novel storage glycine-rich peptide from guava (Psidium guajava) seeds with activity against Gram-negative bacteria. Peptides. 2008;29:1271-9 pubmed publisher..Pg-AMP1 shows potential, in a near future, to contribute to development of novel antibiotics from natural sources...
- Guilherme L, Postol E, Freschi de Barros S, Higa F, Alencar R, Lastre M, et al. A vaccine against S. pyogenes: design and experimental immune response. Methods. 2009;49:316-21 pubmed publisher..No autoimmune reactions were observed, suggesting that the vaccine epitope is safe. ..
- Carranza J, Valadares H, D Avila D, Baptista R, Moreno M, Galvão L, et al. Trypanosoma cruzi maxicircle heterogeneity in Chagas disease patients from Brazil. Int J Parasitol. 2009;39:963-73 pubmed publisher..The observation that T. cruzi strains accumulate mutations in several genes coding for complex I subunits favours the hypothesis that complex I may have a limited activity in this parasite...
- Nogueira L, Cardoso F, Mattos A, Bordignon J, Figueiredo C, Dahlstrom P, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Rv1419 encodes a secreted 13 kDa lectin with immunological reactivity during human tuberculosis. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:744-53 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings reveal a secreted 13 kDa ricin-like lectin from Mtb, which is immunologically recognized during ATB and could serve as a biomarker of disease treatment. ..
- Postigo M, Guido R, Oliva G, Castilho M, da R Pitta I, de Albuquerque J, et al. Discovery of new inhibitors of Schistosoma mansoni PNP by pharmacophore-based virtual screening. J Chem Inf Model. 2010;50:1693-705 pubmed publisher..The most potent inhibitors 7, 10, and 17 with IC(50) of 2, 18, and 38 ?M, respectively, could represent new potential lead compounds for further development of the therapy of schistosomiasis. ..
- Cespedes G, Lorenzon E, Vicente E, Mendes Giannini M, Fontes W, Castro M, et al. Mechanism of action and relationship between structure and biological activity of Ctx-Ha: a new ceratotoxin-like peptide from Hypsiboas albopunctatus. Protein Pept Lett. 2012;19:596-603 pubmed..These studies highlight the importance of single amino acid modification as a tool to modulate the biological activity of antimicrobial peptides...
- Almeida D, Scortecci K, Kobashi L, Agnez Lima L, Medeiros S, Silva Junior A, et al. Profiling the resting venom gland of the scorpion Tityus stigmurus through a transcriptomic survey. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:362 pubmed..This approach enables characterization of a large number of venom gland component molecules, which belong either to known or non yet described types of venom peptides and proteins from the Buthidae family. ..
- de Souza Leite T, Cnossen Fassoni A, Pereira O, Mizubuti E, de Araújo E, de Queiroz M. Novel and highly diverse fungal endophytes in soybean revealed by the consortium of two different techniques. J Microbiol. 2013;51:56-69 pubmed publisher..This study is one of the first to apply extinction-culturing to isolate fungal endophytes in plant leaves, thus contributing to the development and improvement of this technique for future studies. ..
- Cury G, Matte U, Artigalas O, Alegra T, Velho R, Sperb F, et al. Mucolipidosis II and III alpha/beta in Brazil: analysis of the GNPTAB gene. Gene. 2013;524:59-64 pubmed publisher..Further analyses will be conducted on patients in whom both pathogenic mutations have not been found in this study. ..
- Oliveira V, Campos M, Melo R, Ferro E, Camargo A, Juliano M, et al. Substrate specificity characterization of recombinant metallo oligo-peptidases thimet oligopeptidase and neurolysin. Biochemistry. 2001;40:4417-25 pubmed..Finally, this plasticity of interaction with the substrates can be an essential property for a class of cytosolic oligopeptidases that are candidates to participate in the selection of the peptides to be presented by the MHC class I. ..
- Arruda V, Pieneman W, Reitsma P, Deutz Terlouw P, Annichino Bizzacchi J, Briet E, et al. Eleven novel mutations in the factor VIII gene from Brazilian hemophilia A patients. Blood. 1995;86:3015-20 pubmed..This study shows that the methodology used is safe and rapid and has potential for detecting almost all of the genetic defects of the studied hemophilia A patients. ..
- Chimetto L, Cleenwerck I, Alves N, Silva B, Brocchi M, Willems A, et al. Vibrio communis sp. nov., isolated from the marine animals Mussismilia hispida, Phyllogorgia dilatata, Palythoa caribaeorum, Palythoa variabilis and Litopenaeus vannamei. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2011;61:362-8 pubmed publisher..The name Vibrio communis sp. nov. is proposed for this taxon. Strain R-40496(T) (=LMG 25430(T) =CAIM 1816(T)) is the type strain. ..
- Leal Ã, Casseb J, Hendry M, Busch M, Diaz R. Relaxation of adaptive evolution during the HIV-1 infection owing to reduction of CD4+ T cell counts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39776 pubmed publisher..The dynamic of R5 to X4 shift is not associated with the initial amplitude of humoral immune response or intensity of positive selection. ..
- Netz D, Sahl H, Marcelino R, dos Santos Nascimento J, de Oliveira S, Soares M, et al. Molecular characterisation of aureocin A70, a multi-peptide bacteriocin isolated from Staphylococcus aureus. J Mol Biol. 2001;311:939-49 pubmed publisher..Thus, aureocin A70 is a multi-peptide non-lantibiotic bacteriocin, which is transported without processing...
- Barbieri A, Venzal J, Marcili A, Almeida A, Gonzalez E, Labruna M. Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato infecting ticks of the Ixodes ricinus complex in Uruguay: first report for the Southern Hemisphere. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2013;13:147-53 pubmed publisher..However, Borrelia DNA was detected by fla-PCR in culture media from 2 vials up to 90 days after inoculation. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of B. burgdorferi s.l. infecting ticks in South America. ..
- Bitencourt T, Macedo C, Franco M, Assis A, Komoto T, Stehling E, et al. Transcription profile of Trichophyton rubrum conidia grown on keratin reveals the induction of an adhesin-like protein gene with a tandem repeat pattern. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:249 pubmed publisher..These results contribute to the discovery of new targets involved in the adhesion of conidia and the maintenance of conidial dormancy, which are essential for triggering the process of infection and the chronicity of dermatophytosis. ..
- Coltri P, Guimar es B, Granato D, Luz J, Teixeira E, Oliveira C, et al. Structural insights into the interaction of the Nip7 PUA domain with polyuridine RNA. Biochemistry. 2007;46:14177-87 pubmed publisher..This work provides experimental verification that the PUA domain mediates Nip7 interaction with RNA and reveals that the preference for interaction with polyuridine sequences is conserved in Archaea and eukaryotic Nip7 proteins...
- Zaparoli G, Cabrera O, Medrano F, Tiburcio R, Lacerda G, Pereira G. Identification of a second family of genes in Moniliophthora perniciosa, the causal agent of witches' broom disease in cacao, encoding necrosis-inducing proteins similar to cerato-platanins. Mycol Res. 2009;113:61-72 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of a basidiomycete presenting both NEP1-like proteins (NLPs) and CPs in its genome...
- Rubini M, Dillon A, Kyaw C, Faria F, Poças Fonseca M, Silva Pereira I. Cloning, characterization and heterologous expression of the first Penicillium echinulatum cellulase gene. J Appl Microbiol. 2010;108:1187-98 pubmed publisher..The characterization and heterologous expression of the first P. echinulatun cDNA inaugurates the exploitation of this potential industrial micro-organism. ..
- Chagas R, Bailão A, Fernandes K, Winters M, Pereira M, Soares C. Purification of Paracoccidioides brasiliensis catalase P: subsequent kinetic and stability studies. J Biochem. 2010;147:345-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that a purified PbCatP is a homotetrameric enzyme, classified as a small subunit catalase. ..
- Da Silva E, Da Rosa A, Nunes M, Diniz J, Tesh R, Cruz A, et al. Araguari virus, a new member of the family Orthomyxoviridae: serologic, ultrastructural, and molecular characterization. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;73:1050-8 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose that Araguari virus should be assigned as a new member of the family Orthomyxoviridae and genus Thogotovirus. ..
- Figueiredo da Silva A, de Carvalho Vieira L, Krieger M, Goldenberg S, Zanchin N, Guimar es B. Crystal structure of chagasin, the endogenous cysteine-protease inhibitor from Trypanosoma cruzi. J Struct Biol. 2007;157:416-23 pubmed publisher..The knowledge of the chagasin crystal structure may contribute to the elucidation of the molecular mechanism involved in the inhibition of cruzain and other T. cruzi cysteine proteases...
- Queiroz C, Batista F, de Oliveira L. Evolution of the 5.8S nrDNA gene and internal transcribed spacers in Carapichea ipecacuanha (Rubiaceae) within a phylogeographic context. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2011;59:293-302 pubmed publisher..We argue that it is important to consider past evolutionary history when making inferences about the efficiency with which concerted evolution homogenizes tandem nrDNA repeats a single sequence...
- Golfeto C, Von Poelhsitz G, Selistre de Araujo H, de Araujo M, Ellena J, Castellano E, et al. Synthesis, characterization and cytotoxic activities of the [RuCl2(NO)(dppp)(L)]PF6 complexes. J Inorg Biochem. 2010;104:489-95 pubmed publisher..The 1,3-bis(diphenylphosphino)propane and the N-heterocyclic ligands alone failed to show cytotoxic activities at the concentrations tested (maximum concentration utilized=200 microM). ..
- Coronado M, Gabdulkhakov A, Georgieva D, Sankaran B, Murakami M, Arni R, et al. Structure of the polypeptide crotamine from the Brazilian rattlesnake Crotalus durissus terrificus. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2013;69:1958-64 pubmed publisher..Since crotamine is a leading member of a large family of myotoxic peptides, its structure will provide a basis for the design of novel cell-penetrating molecules. ..
- Freitas R, Carvalho C, Fietto L, Loureiro M, Almeida A, Fontes E. Distinct repressing modules on the distal region of the SBP2 promoter contribute to its vascular tissue-specific expression in different vegetative organs. Plant Mol Biol. 2007;65:603-14 pubmed publisher..Together our results demonstrate the unusual aspect of distal sequences negatively controlling tissue-specificity of a plant promoter...
- Amarilla A, de Almeida F, Jorge D, Alfonso H, de Castro Jorge L, Nogueira N, et al. Genetic diversity of the E protein of dengue type 3 virus. Virol J. 2009;6:113 pubmed publisher..Our results provide information about the most frequent amino acid changes and diversity of the E protein of DENV-3...
- dos Santos K, Diniz C, Veloso L, de Andrade H, Giusta M, Pires S, et al. Proteomic analysis of Escherichia coli with experimentally induced resistance to piperacillin/tazobactam. Res Microbiol. 2010;161:268-75 pubmed publisher..coli resistance to piperacillin/tazobactam. ..
- de Oliveira M, de Azeredo Espin A, Lessinger A. Evolutionary and structural analysis of the cytochrome c oxidase subunit I (COI) gene from Haematobia irritans, Stomoxys calcitrans and Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae) mitochondrial DNA. DNA Seq. 2005;16:156-60 pubmed..The characterization of the structure and evolution of this gene could be informative for further evolutionary analysis of dipteran species...
- Silva J, Damico D, Baldasso P, Mattioli M, Winck F, Fraceto L, et al. Isolation and biochemical characterization of a galactoside binding lectin from Bauhinia variegata candida (BvcL) seeds. Protein J. 2007;26:193-201 pubmed..The N-terminal amino acid sequence of 17 residues showed 90% sequential homology to galactose-specific legume lectins of the subfamily Caesalpinoideae...
- Paiva A, Irving N, Breukink E, Mantovani H. Interaction with lipid II induces conformational changes in bovicin HC5 structure. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:4586-93 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, bovicin HC5 is the only bacteriocin described thus far that is able to interact with its target in extreme pH values, and this fact might be related to its unique structure and stability. ..
- do Nascimento L, Gonçalves E, Melo F, Giese E, Furtado A, Dos Santos J. Description of Rhabdias breviensis n. sp. (Rhabditoidea: Rhabdiasidae) in two Neotropical frog species. Syst Parasitol. 2013;86:69-75 pubmed publisher..The new species differs from all other Rhabdias species parasitic in Neotropical hosts in certain morphometric parameters, the position of the vulva, the host group and the cephalic characters. ..
- Amorim A, Carrington M, Miles M, Barker D, de Almeida M. Identification of the C-terminal region of 70 kDa heat shock protein from Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensis as a target for the humoral immune response. Cell Stress Chaperones. 1996;1:177-87 pubmed..amazonensis-infected individuals. Despite a relatively high cross-reactivity with VL sera, the enhanced humoral response of MCL as compared with CL patients might be interesting for studies on disease aggravation. ..
- Oliveira S, Fonseca F, Antunes E, Camargo E, Morganti R, Aparicio R, et al. Modulation of the pharmacological effects of enzymatically-active PLA2 by BTL-2, an isolectin isolated from the Bryothamnion triquetrum red alga. BMC Biochem. 2008;9:16 pubmed publisher..This opens new possibilities for understanding the function and action of crude venom, an extremely complex mixture of different molecules. ..
- Lima F, Cibulski S, Elesbao F, Carnieli Junior P, Batista H, Roehe P, et al. First detection of adenovirus in the vampire bat (Desmodus rotundus) in Brazil. Virus Genes. 2013;47:378-81 pubmed publisher..This sequence is approximately 25 % divergent at the nucleotide level from equine adenovirus 1 and two other recently characterized bat adenoviruses. ..
- Stefani R, Gomes S. A unique intron-containing hsp70 gene induced by heat shock and during sporulation in the aquatic fungus Blastocladiella emersonii. Gene. 1995;152:19-26 pubmed..The promoter region presented several NGAAN repeats (where N is any nucleotide) characteristic of HS elements, as well as putative binding sites for ATF, Sp1 and two metal-responsive elements...
- Haag K, Ayala F, Kamenetzky L, Gutierrez A, Rosenzvit M. Livestock trade history, geography, and parasite strains: the mitochondrial genetic structure of Echinococcus granulosus in Argentina. J Parasitol. 2004;90:234-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that geographic patterns are not due to actual restricted gene flow between regions but are rather a consequence of past history, probably related to the time and origin of livestock introduction in Argentina. ..
- Carneiro A, Ramos R, Dall agnol H, Pinto A, de Castro Soares S, Santos A, et al. Genome sequence of Exiguobacterium antarcticum B7, isolated from a biofilm in Ginger Lake, King George Island, Antarctica. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:6689-90 pubmed publisher..This study presents the genome of E. antarcticum B7, isolated from a biofilm sample of Ginger Lake on King George Island, Antarctic peninsula. ..
- Silva E, Brod C, Cerqueira G, Bourscheidt D, Seyffert N, Queiroz A, et al. Isolation of Leptospira noguchii from sheep. Vet Microbiol. 2007;121:144-9 pubmed..This is the first report of isolation of L. noguchii from sheep. Together these findings indicate that L. noguchii infections may be a potentially important veterinary problem in this domestic animal species. ..
- Avellar M, Honda L, Hamil K, Radhakrishnan Y, Yenugu S, Grossman G, et al. Novel aspects of the sperm-associated antigen 11 (SPAG11) gene organization and expression in cattle (Bos taurus). Biol Reprod. 2007;76:1103-16 pubmed..Taken together, the results suggest that SPAG11 isoforms perform both immune and reproductive functions in cattle. ..
- Borges B, Paiva T, Harada M. Evolution of the SEC1 gene in New World monkey lineages (Primates, Platyrrhini). Genet Mol Res. 2008;7:663-78 pubmed..Likelihood-based inference of ancestral states for the activity of SEC1 leads us to suppose that inactivation of SEC1 in the Callitrichinae was a result of a more complex series of events than in Pithecia. ..
- Leles D, Araujo A, Vicente A, Iñiguez A. ITS1 intra-individual variability of Ascaris isolates from Brazil. Parasitol Int. 2010;59:93-6 pubmed publisher..The ITS1 intra-individual variability revealed in this study indicated that the use of this genetic region to discriminate human and pig Ascaris genotypes should be reconsidered...