Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondria in Switzerland
Publications104 found, 100 shown here
- Heitz F, Erb M, Anklin C, Robay D, Pernet V, Gueven N. Idebenone protects against retinal damage and loss of vision in a mouse model of Leber's hereditary optic neuropathy. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45182 pubmed publisher..These results support the pharmacological activity of idebenone and indicate that idebenone holds potential as an effective treatment for vision loss in LHON patients. ..
- Jokipii Lukkari S, Kastaniotis A, Parkash V, Sundström R, Leiva Eriksson N, Nymalm Y, et al. Dual targeted poplar ferredoxin NADP(+) oxidoreductase interacts with hemoglobin 1. Plant Sci. 2016;247:138-49 pubmed publisher..The structural modelling results indicate that PttHb1 and PtthFNR are able to interact as NO dioxygenase. This is the first report on dual targeting of central plant enzyme FNR to plastids and cytosol. ..
- Cereghetti G, Costa V, Scorrano L. Inhibition of Drp1-dependent mitochondrial fragmentation and apoptosis by a polypeptide antagonist of calcineurin. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1785-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, PPD1 is a novel inhibitor of apoptosis that elucidates the function of calcineurin-dependent mitochondrial fragmentation in the amplification of cell death. ..
- Canto C, Houtkooper R, Pirinen E, Youn D, Oosterveer M, Cen Y, et al. The NAD(+) precursor nicotinamide riboside enhances oxidative metabolism and protects against high-fat diet-induced obesity. Cell Metab. 2012;15:838-47 pubmed publisher..Consequently, our results indicate that the natural vitamin NR could be used as a nutritional supplement to ameliorate metabolic and age-related disorders characterized by defective mitochondrial function. ..
- Charrière F, Tan T, Schneider A. Mitochondrial initiation factor 2 of Trypanosoma brucei binds imported formylated elongator-type tRNA(Met). J Biol Chem. 2005;280:15659-65 pubmed..Thus, these experiments illustrate the importance of mitochondrial translation initiation for growth of procyclic T. brucei. ..
- van der Loo B, Schildknecht S, Zee R, Bachschmid M. Signalling processes in endothelial ageing in relation to chronic oxidative stress and their potential therapeutic implications in humans. Exp Physiol. 2009;94:305-10 pubmed publisher..A model linking .NO, mitochondria, MnSOD and its acetylation/deacetylation by sirtuins (NAD+-dependent class III histone deacetylases) may be the basis for a potentially new powerful therapeutic intervention in the ageing process. ..
- Raymond F, Metairon S, Kussmann M, Colomer J, Nascimento A, Mormeneo E, et al. Comparative gene expression profiling between human cultured myotubes and skeletal muscle tissue. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:125 pubmed publisher..Cultured muscle cells display reductive metabolic and muscle-system transcriptome adaptations as observed in muscle atrophy and they activate tissue-remodeling and senescence/apoptosis processes. ..
- Schneider A. Mitochondrial tRNA import and its consequences for mitochondrial translation. Annu Rev Biochem. 2011;80:1033-53 pubmed publisher..For some tRNAs, this is not trivial and requires unique evolutionary adaptations. ..
- Baker K, Schaniel A, Vestweber D, Schatz G. A yeast mitochondrial outer membrane protein essential for protein import and cell viability. Nature. 1990;348:605-9 pubmed..Yeast cells depleted of ISP42 accumulate uncleaved mitochondrial precursor proteins and then die. ISP42 is the first mitochondrial membrane protein shown to be indispensable for protein import and cell viability. ..
- Schlattner U, Wallimann T. Octamers of mitochondrial creatine kinase isoenzymes differ in stability and membrane binding. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:17314-20 pubmed..The observed divergence of ubiquitous and sarcomeric MtCK is discussed with respect to their molecular structures and the possible physiological implications. ..
- Petrushanko I, Bogdanov N, Bulygina E, Grenacher B, Leinsoo T, Boldyrev A, et al. Na-K-ATPase in rat cerebellar granule cells is redox sensitive. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R916-25 pubmed..The obtained data indicate that redox state is a potent regulator of the Na-K-ATPase function. Shifts from an "optimal redox potential range" to higher or lower levels cause suppression of the Na-K pump activity. ..
- Rospert S, Junne T, Glick B, Schatz G. Cloning and disruption of the gene encoding yeast mitochondrial chaperonin 10, the homolog of E. coli groES. FEBS Lett. 1993;335:358-60 pubmed..This gene encodes a protein of 11,372 Da that is imported into the mitochondrial matrix without detectable cleavage. Haploid cells lacking a functional copy of CPN10 fail to grow at temperatures between 23 and 37 degrees C. ..
- Eder M, Schlattner U, Becker A, Wallimann T, Kabsch W, Fritz Wolf K. Crystal structure of brain-type creatine kinase at 1.41 A resolution. Protein Sci. 1999;8:2258-69 pubmed..Accordingly, we have modeled a putative conformation of CK in the transition state that requires a rigid body movement of the entire N-terminal domain by rms 4 A from the structure without substrates. ..
- Vajtai I, Sahli R, Kappeler A. Spindle cell oncocytoma of the adenohypophysis: report of a case with a 16-year follow-up. Pathol Res Pract. 2006;202:745-50 pubmed..The favorable outcome of the present case further argues for SCO to be considered a low-grade neoplasm. Moderate tumor size, lack of invasiveness, and low proliferation rate are likely predictors of benign behavior. ..
- Barekati Z, Radpour R, Kohler C, Zhang B, Toniolo P, Lenner P, et al. Methylation profile of TP53 regulatory pathway and mtDNA alterations in breast cancer patients lacking TP53 mutations. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:2936-46 pubmed publisher..Additionally, release of significant aberrant methylated PTEN in matched serum samples might represent a promising biomarker for breast cancer. ..
- Wiederkehr A, Szanda G, Akhmedov D, Mataki C, Heizmann C, Schoonjans K, et al. Mitochondrial matrix calcium is an activating signal for hormone secretion. Cell Metab. 2011;13:601-11 pubmed publisher..Our dissection of cytosolic and mitochondrial Ca(2+) signals reveals the physiological importance of matrix Ca(2+) in energy metabolism required for signal-dependent hormone secretion. ..
- Dulloo A, Gubler M, Montani J, Seydoux J, Solinas G. Substrate cycling between de novo lipogenesis and lipid oxidation: a thermogenic mechanism against skeletal muscle lipotoxicity and glucolipotoxicity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28 Suppl 4:S29-37 pubmed
- Tschopp F, Charrière F, Schneider A. In vivo study in Trypanosoma brucei links mitochondrial transfer RNA import to mitochondrial protein import. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:825-32 pubmed publisher..These findings, together with previous results in yeast and plants, suggest that the requirement for mitochondrial protein-import factors might be a conserved feature of mitochondrial tRNA import in all systems. ..
- Ramonet D, Podhajska A, Stafa K, Sonnay S, Trancikova A, Tsika E, et al. PARK9-associated ATP13A2 localizes to intracellular acidic vesicles and regulates cation homeostasis and neuronal integrity. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1725-43 pubmed publisher..Collectively, this study reveals a number of intriguing neuronal phenotypes due to the loss- or gain-of-function of ATP13A2 that support a role for this protein in regulating intracellular cation homeostasis and neuronal integrity. ..
- Betz C, Stracka D, Prescianotto Baschong C, Frieden M, Demaurex N, Hall M. Feature Article: mTOR complex 2-Akt signaling at mitochondria-associated endoplasmic reticulum membranes (MAM) regulates mitochondrial physiology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12526-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, mTORC2 is at the core of a MAM signaling hub that controls growth and metabolism. ..
- Leuenberger D, Bally N, Schatz G, Koehler C. Different import pathways through the mitochondrial intermembrane space for inner membrane proteins. EMBO J. 1999;18:4816-22 pubmed..Yeast mitochondria thus use multiple pathways for escorting hydrophobic inner membrane proteins across the aqueous intermembrane space. ..
- Jimenez M, Yvon C, Lehr L, Leger B, Keller P, Russell A, et al. Expression of uncoupling protein-3 in subsarcolemmal and intermyofibrillar mitochondria of various mouse muscle types and its modulation by fasting. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:2878-84 pubmed
- Kruschel D, Sigel R. Divalent metal ions promote the formation of the 5'-splice site recognition complex in a self-splicing group II intron. J Inorg Biochem. 2008;102:2147-54 pubmed publisher..These observations illustrate that a high charge density independent of the nature of the ion is needed for binding EBS1 to IBS1, but divalent metal ions are presumably the better players. ..
- Smieszek A, Stręk Z, Kornicka K, Grzesiak J, Weiss C, Marycz K. Antioxidant and Anti-Senescence Effect of Metformin on Mouse Olfactory Ensheathing Cells (mOECs) May Be Associated with Increased Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor Levels-An Ex Vivo Study. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..We observed increased mRNA expression of BDNF and its down-stream genes. Obtained results indicate that metformin may exert antioxidant, anti-apoptotic and senolytic action on OECs expanded ex vivo. ..
- Da Cruz S, De Marchi U, Frieden M, Parone P, Martinou J, Demaurex N. SLP-2 negatively modulates mitochondrial sodium-calcium exchange. Cell Calcium. 2010;47:11-8 pubmed publisher..These data show that SLP-2 modulates mitochondrial calcium extrusion, thereby altering the ability of mitochondria to buffer Ca(2+) and to shape cytosolic Ca(2+) signals. ..
- Jourdain A, Martinou J. Mitochondrial dynamics: quantifying mitochondrial fusion in vitro. BMC Biol. 2010;8:99 pubmed publisher..In this issue of BMC Biology, Schauss and colleagues describe a simple, reliable, and robust novel assay that allows fusion of mammalian mitochondria to be quantified in vitro. ..
- Pusnik M, Mani J, Schmidt O, Niemann M, Oeljeklaus S, Schnarwiler F, et al. An essential novel component of the noncanonical mitochondrial outer membrane protein import system of trypanosomatids. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3420-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results show that pATOM36 is a novel component associated with the ATOM complex that promotes the import of a subpopulation of proteins into the mitochondrial matrix. ..
- Merglen A, Theander S, Rubi B, Chaffard G, Wollheim C, Maechler P. Glucose sensitivity and metabolism-secretion coupling studied during two-year continuous culture in INS-1E insulinoma cells. Endocrinology. 2004;145:667-78 pubmed..As in native beta-cells, tolbutamide induced electrical activity, indicating that the K(ATP)conductance is important in setting the resting potential. Therefore, INS-1E cells represent a stable and valuable beta-cell model. ..
- Regoes A, Zourmpanou D, Leon Avila G, van der Giezen M, Tovar J, Hehl A. Protein import, replication, and inheritance of a vestigial mitochondrion. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30557-63 pubmed
- Pirinen E, Lo Sasso G, Auwerx J. Mitochondrial sirtuins and metabolic homeostasis. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;26:759-70 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss current knowledge how mitochondrial sirtuins and SIRT1 govern mitochondrial processes involved in different metabolic pathways. ..
- Niemann M, Wiese S, Mani J, Chanfon A, Jackson C, Meisinger C, et al. Mitochondrial outer membrane proteome of Trypanosoma brucei reveals novel factors required to maintain mitochondrial morphology. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:515-28 pubmed publisher..brucei. ..
- Jourdain A, Boehm E, Maundrell K, Martinou J. Mitochondrial RNA granules: Compartmentalizing mitochondrial gene expression. J Cell Biol. 2016;212:611-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss the recently characterized "mitochondrial RNA granules," mitochondrial subdomains with an emerging role in the regulation of gene expression. ..
- Yang M, Geli V, Oppliger W, Suda K, James P, Schatz G. The MAS-encoded processing protease of yeast mitochondria. Interaction of the purified enzyme with signal peptides and a purified precursor protein. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:6416-23 pubmed..A purified artificial precursor protein bound to the holoenzyme can be photocross-linked to the MAS2 subunit. ..
- Yang M, Jensen R, Yaffe M, Oppliger W, Schatz G. Import of proteins into yeast mitochondria: the purified matrix processing protease contains two subunits which are encoded by the nuclear MAS1 and MAS2 genes. EMBO J. 1988;7:3857-62 pubmed..The smaller subunit had been identified as the product of the nuclear MAS1 gene (Witte et al., 1988). The larger subunit is now identified as the product of the nuclear MAS2 gene. ..
- Leighton J, Schatz G. An ABC transporter in the mitochondrial inner membrane is required for normal growth of yeast. EMBO J. 1995;14:188-95 pubmed..Atm1p is the first mitochondrial member of the ABC family to be identified and the only eukaryotic ABC transporter that has been shown to be necessary for normal cellular growth...
- Hahne K, Haucke V, Ramage L, Schatz G. Incomplete arrest in the outer membrane sorts NADH-cytochrome b5 reductase to two different submitochondrial compartments. Cell. 1994;79:829-39 pubmed..Incomplete translocation arrest in the outer membrane is a novel mechanism by which the product of a single gene is sorted into different compartments of the same organelle. ..
- Russell A. PGC-1alpha and exercise: important partners in combating insulin resistance. Curr Diabetes Rev. 2005;1:175-81 pubmed..Because of the important role of PGC-1alpha in the control of energy metabolism and insulin sensitivity, it is seen as a candidate factor in the etiology of type 2 diabetes and a drug target for its therapeutic treatment. ..
- Charri re F, O Donoghue P, Helgad ttir S, Mar chal Drouard L, Cristodero M, Horn E, et al. Dual targeting of a tRNAAsp requires two different aspartyl-tRNA synthetases in Trypanosoma brucei. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16210-7 pubmed publisher..Mitochondrial Tb-AspRS2 defines a novel group of eukaryotic AspRSs with an expanded substrate specificity that are restricted to trypanosomatids and therefore may be exploited as a novel drug target...
- Magliano P, Sanglard D, Poirier Y. Repercussion of a deficiency in mitochondrial ß-oxidation on the carbon flux of short-chain fatty acids to the peroxisomal ß-oxidation cycle in Aspergillus nidulans. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1801:1386-92 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that a compensatory mechanism exists in A. nidulans that increases the flux of short-chain fatty acids towards the peroxisomal ß-oxidation cycle when the mitochondrial ß-oxidation pathway is defective. ..
- Stucki M, Coelho D, Suormala T, Burda P, Fowler B, Baumgartner M. Molecular mechanisms leading to three different phenotypes in the cblD defect of intracellular cobalamin metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1410-8 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, western blot studies reveal proteins of the size expected from the stop codon position with subsequent reinitiation of translation. ..
- Rosenwald M, Perdikari A, Rülicke T, Wolfrum C. Bi-directional interconversion of brite and white adipocytes. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:659-67 pubmed publisher..Shifting the balance of this interconversion from the white towards the brite phenotype might provide a new means of counteracting obesity by increasing energy expenditure. ..
- Gratzer S, Lithgow T, Bauer R, Lamping E, Paltauf F, Kohlwein S, et al. Mas37p, a novel receptor subunit for protein import into mitochondria. J Cell Biol. 1995;129:25-34 pubmed
- Rospert S, Glick B, Jeno P, Schatz G, Todd M, Lorimer G, et al. Identification and functional analysis of chaperonin 10, the groES homolog from yeast mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10967-71 pubmed..coli or yeast, neither of these cpn10s inhibits the ATPase activity of yeast cpn60. Amino acid sequencing of yeast cpn10 reveals substantial similarity to the corresponding cpn10 proteins from rat mitochondria and prokaryotes. ..
- Ziak M, Jager J, Malashkevich V, Gehring H, Jaussi R, Jansonius J, et al. Mutant aspartate aminotransferase (K258H) without pyridoxal-5'-phosphate-binding lysine residue. Structural and catalytic properties. Eur J Biochem. 1993;211:475-84 pubmed..Transmination of the internal to the external aldimine apparently can be replaced by de novo formation of the latter, and by its hydrolysis in the reverse direction. ..
- Koehler C, Leuenberger D, Merchant S, Renold A, Junne T, Schatz G. Human deafness dystonia syndrome is a mitochondrial disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2141-6 pubmed..The deafness dystonia syndrome thus is a novel type of mitochondrial disease that probably is caused by a defective mitochondrial protein-import system...
- Wenzel A, Grimm C, Marti A, Kueng Hitz N, Hafezi F, Niemeyer G, et al. c-fos controls the "private pathway" of light-induced apoptosis of retinal photoreceptors. J Neurosci. 2000;20:81-8 pubmed..Thus, c-Fos is essential for a specific premitochondrial "private apoptotic pathway" induced by light but not for the execution of apoptosis induced by other stimuli. ..
- Schnaufer A, Sbicego S, Blum B. Antimycin A resistance in a mutant Leishmania tarentolae strain is correlated to a point mutation in the mitochondrial apocytochrome b gene. Curr Genet. 2000;37:234-41 pubmed..Furthermore, a defined mutation conferring drug resistance to a mitochondrial gene product can be exploited for the development of mitochondrial transfection systems for trypanosomatids. ..
- Montessuit C, Papageorgiou I, Tardy Cantalupi I, Rosenblatt Velin N, Lerch R. Postischemic recovery of heart metabolism and function: role of mitochondrial fatty acid transfer. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000;89:111-9 pubmed..However, the chain length of the fatty acid did not influence diastolic contracture. The results suggest that nutritional variation of mitochondrial fatty acid transfer may influence postischemic recovery of contractile function...
- Wang H, Antinozzi P, Hagenfeldt K, Maechler P, Wollheim C. Molecular targets of a human HNF1 alpha mutation responsible for pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction. EMBO J. 2000;19:4257-64 pubmed..These unprecedented results suggest the molecular mechanism of HNF1 alpha-P291fsinsC causing beta-cell dysfunction. ..
- Walzel B, Speer O, Zanolla E, Eriksson O, Bernardi P, Wallimann T. Novel mitochondrial creatine transport activity. Implications for intracellular creatine compartments and bioenergetics. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:37503-11 pubmed..Our data suggest that mitochondria, shown here to possess creatine transport activity, may harbor such a creatine/phosphocreatine pool...
- Yousefi S, Perozzo R, Schmid I, Ziemiecki A, Schaffner T, Scapozza L, et al. Calpain-mediated cleavage of Atg5 switches autophagy to apoptosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:1124-32 pubmed..Taken together, calpain-mediated Atg5 cleavage provokes apoptotic cell death, therefore, represents a molecular link between autophagy and apoptosis--a finding with potential importance for clinical anticancer therapies. ..
- Picard D, Suslova E, Briand P. 2-color photobleaching experiments reveal distinct intracellular dynamics of two components of the Hsp90 complex. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3949-58 pubmed..However, when Hsp90-p23 complexes are disrupted by the Hsp90 inhibitor geldanamycin, p23 moves by free diffusion while Hsp90 maintains its low mobility because it remains bound in remodeled multicomponent complexes. ..
- Zuzak T, Rist L, Eggenschwiler J, Grotzer M, Viviani A. Paediatric medulloblastoma cells are susceptible to Viscum album (Mistletoe) preparations. Anticancer Res. 2006;26:3485-92 pubmed..Evidence for cytotoxic and apoptotic effects of Viscum album (Mistletoe) in vitro is available, however, no data concerning paediatric tumours, especially paediatric brain tumours, has been provided so far...
- Schumann D, Maedler K, Franklin I, Konrad D, Størling J, Böni Schnetzler M, et al. The Fas pathway is involved in pancreatic beta cell secretory function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2861-6 pubmed..This led to increased PDX-1 and insulin production independent of changes in cell turnover. The results support a previously undescribed role for the Fas pathway in regulating insulin production and release. ..
- Bruske E, Sendfeld F, Schneider A. Thiolated tRNAs of Trypanosoma brucei are imported into mitochondria and dethiolated after import. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:36491-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, down-regulation of thiolation resulted in an increase of edited tRNA(Trp) but did not affect growth. ..
- Markkanen E, Hubscher U, van Loon B. Regulation of oxidative DNA damage repair: the adenine:8-oxo-guanine problem. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:1070-5 pubmed publisher..In contrast, phosphorylation of Pol ? by Cdk2/cyclinA counteracts this degradation by recruiting it to MutYH on chromatin to form active 8-oxo-G repair complexes. ..
- Gouriou Y, Bijlenga P, Demaurex N. Mitochondrial Ca2+ uptake from plasma membrane Cav3.2 protein channels contributes to ischemic toxicity in PC12 cells. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:12459-68 pubmed publisher..1/Cav3.2 silencing. We conclude that the opening of Cav3.2 channels during ischemia contribute to the entry of Ca(2+) ions that are transmitted to mitochondria, resulting in a deleterious mitochondrial Ca(2+) overload. ..
- Schmid D, Jaussi R, Christen P. Precursor of mitochondrial aspartate aminotransferase synthesized in Escherichia coli is complexed with heat-shock protein DnaK. Eur J Biochem. 1992;208:699-704 pubmed..No complex was formed with mAspAT. Apparently, DnaK binds to the solvent-exposed presequence of folded pmAspAT without significantly changing the structure and functional properties of its mature moiety. ..
- Schneider A, Behrens M, Scherer P, Pratje E, Michaelis G, Schatz G. Inner membrane protease I, an enzyme mediating intramitochondrial protein sorting in yeast. EMBO J. 1991;10:247-54 pubmed..This 'inner membrane protease I' shares several key features with the leader peptidase of Escherichia coli and the signal peptidase of the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Suzuki C, Suda K, Wang N, Schatz G. Requirement for the yeast gene LON in intramitochondrial proteolysis and maintenance of respiration. Science. 1994;264:273-6 pubmed..Lon- cells were also impaired in their ability to catalyze the energy-dependent degradation of several mitochondrial matrix proteins and they accumulated electron-dense inclusions in their mitochondrial matrix. ..
- Ramage L, Junne T, Hahne K, Lithgow T, Schatz G. Functional cooperation of mitochondrial protein import receptors in yeast. EMBO J. 1993;12:4115-23 pubmed..We conclude that the two receptors have overlapping specificities for mitochondrial precursor proteins and that neither receptor is by itself essential. ..
- Haucke V, Schatz G. Reconstitution of the protein insertion machinery of the mitochondrial inner membrane. EMBO J. 1997;16:4560-7 pubmed..The protein insertion machinery can thus operate independently of the energy-transducing Tim44p-mhsp70 complex. ..
- Wang H, Maechler P, Antinozzi P, Hagenfeldt K, Wollheim C. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha regulates the expression of pancreatic beta -cell genes implicated in glucose metabolism and nutrient-induced insulin secretion. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35953-9 pubmed..Indeed, HNF4alpha changed the HNF1alpha mRNA levels and HNF1alpha promoter luciferase activity through altered HNF4alpha binding. These results demonstrate the importance of HNF4alpha in beta-cell metabolism-secretion coupling. ..
- Chen G, Carroll S, Racay P, Dick J, Pette D, Traub I, et al. Deficiency in parvalbumin increases fatigue resistance in fast-twitch muscle and upregulates mitochondria. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2001;281:C114-22 pubmed
- Zhang H, Holzgreve W, de Geyter C. Bcl2-L-10, a novel anti-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family, blocks apoptosis in the mitochondria death pathway but not in the death receptor pathway. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:2329-39 pubmed..Our results demonstrated that Bcl2-L-10 is a newly detected anti-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family and that it blocks apoptosis in the mitochondrial death pathway but not in the death receptor pathway. ..
- Tan T, Bochud Allemann N, Horn E, Schneider A. Eukaryotic-type elongator tRNAMet of Trypanosoma brucei becomes formylated after import into mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:1152-7 pubmed..Whereas the predicted protein is homologous to prokaryotic and mitochondrial methionyl-tRNA(Met) formyltransferases, it has about twice the mass of any of these proteins. ..
- Lang C, Berardi S, Schafer M, Serra D, Hegardt F, Krahenbuhl L, et al. Impaired ketogenesis is a major mechanism for disturbed hepatic fatty acid metabolism in rats with long-term cholestasis and after relief of biliary obstruction. J Hepatol. 2002;37:564-71 pubmed..Rats with long-term cholestasis have reduced ketosis of unknown origin...
- Charri re F, Helgad ttir S, Horn E, S ll D, Schneider A. Dual targeting of a single tRNA(Trp) requires two different tryptophanyl-tRNA synthetases in Trypanosoma brucei. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6847-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, the notion that, in an organism, all nuclear-encoded tRNAs assigned to a given amino acid are charged by a single aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase, is not universally valid...
- Jousset H, Frieden M, Demaurex N. STIM1 knockdown reveals that store-operated Ca2+ channels located close to sarco/endoplasmic Ca2+ ATPases (SERCA) pumps silently refill the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:11456-64 pubmed..These findings are consistent with the formation of microdomains containing not only SOC channels on the plasma membrane and STIM proteins on the ER but also SERCA pumps and mitochondria to refill the ER without perturbing the cytosol. ..
- Roth M, Black J. An imbalance in C/EBPs and increased mitochondrial activity in asthmatic airway smooth muscle cells: novel targets in asthma therapy?. Br J Pharmacol. 2009;157:334-41 pubmed publisher..However, these findings may present the basis for the development of novel curative asthma drugs. ..
- Barth S, Edlich F, Berchner Pfannschmidt U, Gneuss S, Jahreis G, Hasgall P, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl-4-hydroxylase PHD2 protein abundance depends on integral membrane anchoring of FKBP38. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23046-58 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that FKBP38-bound PHD2 is constantly degraded whereas cytosolic PHD2 is stable and able to function as an active prolyl-4-hydroxylase. ..
- Bai P, Canto C, Oudart H, Brunyánszki A, Cen Y, Thomas C, et al. PARP-1 inhibition increases mitochondrial metabolism through SIRT1 activation. Cell Metab. 2011;13:461-468 pubmed publisher..These data show how PARP-1 inhibition has strong metabolic implications through the modulation of SIRT1 activity, a property that could be useful in the management not only of metabolic diseases, but also of cancer. ..
- Araiso Y, Huot J, Sekiguchi T, Frechin M, Fischer F, Enkler L, et al. Crystal structure of Saccharomyces cerevisiae mitochondrial GatFAB reveals a novel subunit assembly in tRNA-dependent amidotransferases. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6052-63 pubmed publisher..The positive surface charge and novel fold of the GatF-GatA interface, shown in this first crystal structure of an organellar AdT, stand in contrast with the more conventional, negatively charged bacterial AdTs described previously. ..
- Matouschek A, Rospert S, Schmid K, Glick B, Schatz G. Cyclophilin catalyzes protein folding in yeast mitochondria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:6319-23 pubmed..In these mitochondria, protein folding was insensitive to cyclosporin A. The rate of protein import was not affected by cyclosporin A or by deletion of Cpr3p. ..
- Kronidou N, Oppliger W, Bolliger L, Hannavy K, Glick B, Schatz G, et al. Dynamic interaction between Isp45 and mitochondrial hsp70 in the protein import system of the yeast mitochondrial inner membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12818-22 pubmed..This arrangement is reminiscent of the protein transport systems of the yeast endoplasmic reticulum and the bacterial plasma membrane. ..
- Schneider A, Oppliger W, Jeno P. Purified inner membrane protease I of yeast mitochondria is a heterodimer. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:8635-8 pubmed..Partial amino acid sequencing identifies this subunit as the product of the recently described IMP2 gene (Nunnari, J., Fox, T., and Walter, P. (1993) Science 262, 1997-2004). ..
- Koehler C, Jarosch E, Tokatlidis K, Schmid K, Schweyen R, Schatz G. Import of mitochondrial carriers mediated by essential proteins of the intermembrane space. Science. 1998;279:369-73 pubmed..Neither protein was required for protein import into the other mitochondrial compartments. Both proteins may function as intermembrane space chaperones for the highly insoluble carrier proteins. ..
- Dubaquie Y, Looser R, Funfschilling U, Jeno P, Rospert S. Identification of in vivo substrates of the yeast mitochondrial chaperonins reveals overlapping but non-identical requirement for hsp60 and hsp10. EMBO J. 1998;17:5868-76 pubmed..We suggest that homologous substrate proteins have differential chaperonin requirements, indicating that hsp60 and hsp10 do not always act as a single functional unit in vivo. ..
- Jornot L, Maechler P, Wollheim C, Junod A. Reactive oxygen metabolites increase mitochondrial calcium in endothelial cells: implication of the Ca2+/Na+ exchanger. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 7):1013-22 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the H2O2-induced elevation in [Ca2+]m results from a transfer of Ca2+ secondary to increased [Ca2+]c, and an inhibition of the Ca2+/Na+ electroneutral exchanger of the mitochondria. ..
- Schlattner U, Dolder M, Wallimann T, Tokarska Schlattner M. Mitochondrial creatine kinase and mitochondrial outer membrane porin show a direct interaction that is modulated by calcium. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:48027-30 pubmed..No interaction of MtCK with reconstituted adenine nucleotide translocator was detectable in our experimental setup. The relevance of these findings for structure and function of mitochondrial contact sites is discussed. ..
- Müntener K, Zwicky R, Csucs G, Rohrer J, Baici A. Exon skipping of cathepsin B: mitochondrial targeting of a lysosomal peptidase provokes cell death. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:41012-7 pubmed
- Rubi B, del Arco A, Bartley C, Satrustegui J, Maechler P. The malate-aspartate NADH shuttle member Aralar1 determines glucose metabolic fate, mitochondrial activity, and insulin secretion in beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:55659-66 pubmed..7 mm glucose (+65%, p < 0.05) compared with controls. These results show that aspartate-glutamate carrier capacity limits glucose-stimulated insulin secretion and that Aralar1 overexpression enhances mitochondrial metabolism. ..
- Basset O, Boittin F, Cognard C, Constantin B, Ruegg U. Bcl-2 overexpression prevents calcium overload and subsequent apoptosis in dystrophic myotubes. Biochem J. 2006;395:267-76 pubmed..Most likely as a consequence, the inhibition of IP3R function by Bcl-2 also inhibits calcium-dependent apoptosis in these cells. ..
- Hristoskova S, Holzgreve W, Hahn S, Rusterholz C. Human mature erythroblasts are resistant to apoptosis. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:1024-32 pubmed..Our data therefore suggest that erythroblasts acquire resistance to apoptosis during maturation through the developmentally induced depletion of cytochrome c and other crucial regulators of the apoptotic machinery...
- Bentzinger C, Romanino K, Cloëtta D, Lin S, Mascarenhas J, Oliveri F, et al. Skeletal muscle-specific ablation of raptor, but not of rictor, causes metabolic changes and results in muscle dystrophy. Cell Metab. 2008;8:411-24 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that muscle mTORC1 has an unexpected role in the regulation of the metabolic properties and that its function is essential for life. ..
- Niemann A, Wagner K, Ruegg M, Suter U. GDAP1 mutations differ in their effects on mitochondrial dynamics and apoptosis depending on the mode of inheritance. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;36:509-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, different cellular mechanisms that disturb mitochondrial dynamics underlie the similar clinical manifestations caused by GDAP1 mutations, depending on the mode of inheritance. ..
- Desy S, Schneider A, Mani J. Trypanosoma brucei has a canonical mitochondrial processing peptidase. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2012;185:161-4 pubmed publisher..Reciprocal immunoprecipitation demonstrates that the proteins interact with each other. In summary these results show that we have identified the two subunits of the trypanosomal mitochondrial processing peptidase. ..