Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondria in Japan
Publications213 found, 100 shown here
- Kobayashi I. Selfishness and death: raison d'être of restriction, recombination and mitochondria. Trends Genet. 1998;14:368-74 pubmed..By extrapolation, the capacity of mitochondria to kill their host eukaryotic cell might have stabilized their initial symbiosis. ..
- Kuge O, Yamakawa Y, Nishijima M. Enhancement of transport-dependent decarboxylation of phosphatidylserine by S100B protein in permeabilized Chinese hamster ovary cells. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:23700-6 pubmed publisher..These results implicated the S100B protein in the transport of PtdSer to the mitochondrial inner membrane...
- Terada K, Ueno S, Yomogida K, Imai T, Kiyonari H, Takeda N, et al. Expression of Tom34 splicing isoforms in mouse testis and knockout of Tom34 in mice. J Biochem. 2003;133:625-31 pubmed..In vitro-preprotein import into isolated mitochondria showed no apparent difference between Tom34(-/-) and wild-type mice. These results indicate that Tom34 is dispensable for mouse growth and development under optimal conditions. ..
- Ohta S, Ohsawa I, Kamino K, Ando F, Shimokata H. Mitochondrial ALDH2 deficiency as an oxidative stress. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1011:36-44 pubmed..Mitochondrial ALDH2 functions as a protector against oxidative stress. ..
- Ikuta J, Maturana A, Fujita T, Okajima T, Tatematsu K, Tanizawa K, et al. Fasciculation and elongation protein zeta-1 (FEZ1) participates in the polarization of hippocampal neuron by controlling the mitochondrial motility. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;353:127-32 pubmed..Therefore, our results strongly suggest that FEZ1 participates in the establishment of neuronal polarity by controlling the mitochondrial motility along axon. ..
- Fujita T, Maturana A, Ikuta J, Hamada J, Walchli S, Suzuki T, et al. Axonal guidance protein FEZ1 associates with tubulin and kinesin motor protein to transport mitochondria in neurites of NGF-stimulated PC12 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;361:605-10 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that the FEZ1/kinesin complex functions for the transport of mitochondria along microtubules toward the extending neurites in differentiating PC12 cells. ..
- Simamura E, Shimada H, Ishigaki Y, Hatta T, Higashi N, Hirai K. Bioreductive activation of quinone antitumor drugs by mitochondrial voltage-dependent anion channel 1. Anat Sci Int. 2008;83:261-6 pubmed publisher..In the quinone antitumor drugs, menadione (VK3), adriamycin and mitomycin C, mitochondrial VDAC1 bioreductively activated VK3. These results demonstrate that mitochondrial VDAC1 is a pharmacologic target for the treatment of tumor. ..
- Ishikawa K, Hayashi J. A novel function of mtDNA: its involvement in metastasis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1201:40-3 pubmed publisher..The mtDNA-mediated reversible control of metastasis reveals a novel function of mtDNA, and suggests that ROS scavengers may be therapeutically effective in suppressing metastasis. ..
- Esaki M, Ogura T. Cdc48p/p97-mediated regulation of mitochondrial morphology is Vms1p-independent. J Struct Biol. 2012;179:112-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Cdc48p controls mitochondrial morphology by regulating turnover of proteins involved in mitochondrial morphology in a Vms1p-independent manner. ..
- Takibuchi G, Imanishi H, Morimoto M, Ishikawa K, Nakada K, Toyama Sorimachi N, et al. Polymorphic mutations in mouse mitochondrial DNA regulate a tumor phenotype. Mitochondrion. 2013;13:881-7 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the effects of polymorphic mutations in normal mtDNA have to be carefully considered, particularly when we apply the gene therapy to the embryos to replace their pathogenic mtDNA by normal mtDNA. ..
- Obaru K, Tsuzuki T, Setoyama C, Shimada K. Structural organization of the mouse aspartate aminotransferase isoenzyme genes. Introns antedate the divergence of cytosolic and mitochondrial isoenzyme genes. J Mol Biol. 1988;200:13-22 pubmed..This close matching leads to the tentative conclusion that the introns were in place before the divergence of cytosolic and mitochondrial isoenzyme genes. ..
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Wakazono A, Orii T, Hoganson G, Hashimoto T. Identification of a novel exonic mutation at -13 from 5' splice site causing exon skipping in a girl with mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase deficiency. J Clin Invest. 1994;93:1035-41 pubmed..The role of exon sequences in the splicing mechanism is indicated by the exon skipping which occurred with an exonic mutation. ..
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Scriver C, Dunbar G, Wakazono A, Kano M, et al. Molecular studies of mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase deficiency in the two original families. Hum Mutat. 1993;2:214-20 pubmed..The JB allele associates with Dutch ancestry (no consanguinity) and the JM allele with Chilean ancestry (distant consanguinity). ..
- Amikura R, Kashikawa M, Nakamura A, Kobayashi S. Presence of mitochondria-type ribosomes outside mitochondria in germ plasm of Drosophila embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:9133-8 pubmed..Furthermore, these ribosomes are integrated into well developed polysomes on the surface of polar granules. We propose that translation dependent on mitochondria-type ribosomes is an important mechanism underlying germ-line formation. ..
- Hafizur R, Yano M, Gotoh T, Mori M, Terada K. Modulation of chaperone activities of Hsp70 and Hsp70-2 by a mammalian DnaJ/Hsp40 homolog, DjA4. J Biochem. 2004;135:193-200 pubmed..Thus, Hsp70 and Hsp70-2 have similar activities in vitro, and DjA2 and DjA4 can function as partner cochaperones of Hsp70 and Hsp70-2. However, DjA4 is not functionally equivalent in modulating Hsp70s. ..
- Sato A, Nakada K, Shitara H, Yonekawa H, Hayashi J. In vivo interaction between mitochondria carrying mtDNAs from different mouse species. Genetics. 2004;167:1855-61 pubmed..m. domesticus. These observations provide unambiguous evidence for the presence of interaction between exogenous mitochondria carrying DeltamtDNA and endogenous mitochondria carrying M. spretus wild-type mtDNA. ..
- Suzuki R, Sakamoto S, Tsutsumi T, Rikimaru A, Tanaka K, Shimoike T, et al. Molecular determinants for subcellular localization of hepatitis C virus core protein. J Virol. 2005;79:1271-81 pubmed..Differences in the cellular trafficking of HCV core protein, achieved and maintained by multiple targeting functions as mentioned above, may in part regulate the diverse range of biological roles of the core protein. ..
- Shimada H, Hirai K, Simamura E, Hatta T, Iwakiri H, Mizuki K, et al. Paraquat toxicity induced by voltage-dependent anion channel 1 acts as an NADH-dependent oxidoreductase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:28642-9 pubmed publisher..These insights into the mechanism of PQ poisoning not only demonstrated novel physiological functions of VDAC protein, but they may facilitate the development of new therapeutic approaches. ..
- Handa S, Maruyama N, Ishigami A. Over-expression of Senescence Marker Protein-30 decreases reactive oxygen species in human hepatic carcinoma Hep G2 cells. Biol Pharm Bull. 2009;32:1645-8 pubmed..4% lower than those in Hep G2/pcDNA3 cells, respectively. Thus, over-expression of SMP30/GNL in Hep G2 cells contributed to a decrease of ROS formation accompanied by decreases of lipid peroxidation, SOD activity and GSH levels. ..
- Oda T, Nishiyama K, Ichiyama A. Characterization and sequence analysis of rat serine:pyruvate/alanine:glyoxylate aminotransferase gene. Genomics. 1993;17:59-65 pubmed..No obvious similarities were observed in the 5' flanking region up to -1.25 kb from the initiation site of the gene, but exons 2 to 10 of the rat and human genes have identical sizes and show high similarities. ..
- Akbar S, Yamamoto K, Miyakawa H, Ninomiya T, Abe M, Hiasa Y, et al. Peripheral blood T-cell responses to pyruvate dehydrogenase complex in primary biliary cirrhosis: role of antigen-presenting dendritic cells. Eur J Clin Invest. 2001;31:639-46 pubmed..This is the first report on the effectiveness of antigen-pulsed DCs for the elucidation of autoantigen-specific immune response in human autoimmune diseases. ..
- Yu W, Gong J, Ko M, Garver W, Yanagisawa K, Michikawa M. Altered cholesterol metabolism in Niemann-Pick type C1 mouse brains affects mitochondrial function. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:11731-9 pubmed..These results suggest that mitochondrial dysfunctions and subsequent ATP deficiency, which are induced by altered cholesterol metabolism in mitochondria, may be responsible for neuronal impairment in NPC1 disease. ..
- Kuninaka S, Nomura M, Hirota T, Iida S, Hara T, Honda S, et al. The tumor suppressor WARTS activates the Omi / HtrA2-dependent pathway of cell death. Oncogene. 2005;24:5287-98 pubmed..Furthermore, WARTS can enhance the protease activity of Omi / HtrA2 both in vivo and in vitro. Activation of Omi / HtrA2-mediated cell death is thus a potential mechanism for the tumor suppressive activity of WARTS. ..
- Orii K, Fukao T, Song X, Mitchell G, Kondo N. Liver-specific silencing of the human gene encoding succinyl-CoA: 3-ketoacid CoA transferase. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2008;215:227-36 pubmed..Moreover, the region between -2168 and -361 appeared to inhibit the SCOT promoter activity in HepG2 cells. Thus, liver-specific silencing of the SCOT gene expression may be mediated in part by its 5'-flanking sequence. ..
- Somfai T, Kaneda M, Akagi S, Watanabe S, Haraguchi S, Mizutani E, et al. Enhancement of lipid metabolism with L-carnitine during in vitro maturation improves nuclear maturation and cleavage ability of follicular porcine oocytes. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2011;23:912-20 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, enhancing mitochondrial functions by L-carnitine improved oocyte maturation and cleavage underlining the importance of lipid metabolism for nuclear and cytoplasmic maturation of porcine oocytes. ..
- Miyayama T, Arai Y, Suzuki N, Hirano S. Mitochondrial electron transport is inhibited by disappearance of metallothionein in human bronchial epithelial cells following exposure to silver nitrate. Toxicology. 2013;305:20-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest MT was decomposed by cytosolic H2O2, and then Ag released from MT relocated to insoluble cellular fractions and inhibited electron chain transfer of mitochondrial complexes, which eventually led to cell damage...
- Saitoh M, Nagai K, Nakagawa K, Yamamura T, Yamamoto S, Nishizaki T. Adenosine induces apoptosis in the human gastric cancer cells via an intrinsic pathway relevant to activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:2005-11 pubmed
- Sun L, Moritake T, Ito K, Matsumoto Y, Yasui H, Nakagawa H, et al. Metabolic analysis of radioresistant medulloblastoma stem-like clones and potential therapeutic targets. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176162 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings provide insights into the specific metabolism of rMSLCs and illuminate potential metabolic targets that might be exploited for therapeutic benefit in medulloblastoma. ..
- Kawamoto T, Mitsuuchi Y, Toda K, Yokoyama Y, Miyahara K, Miura S, et al. Role of steroid 11 beta-hydroxylase and steroid 18-hydroxylase in the biosynthesis of glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:1458-62 pubmed
- Shahjahan M, Yamada M, Tanaka H, Nakazawa A. Cloning and characterization of the gene encoding bovine mitochondrial adenylate kinase isozyme 3. Gene. 1991;107:313-7 pubmed..The promoter activity measurement in Chinese hamster ovary cells by transient expression of the cat gene connected with the 5'-flanking region, showed presence of a functional promoter. ..
- Takagi K. [Effects of prostaglandin F2 alpha on steroidogenesis of the PMSG-hCG primed rat ovary in luteolysis]. Nihon Naibunpi Gakkai Zasshi. 1988;64:1024-37 pubmed..Both plasma 20 alpha OHP4 and 20 alpha HSD in Sup increased with PGF2 alpha treatment. However, CX suppressed both of them.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Matsuura K, Bunai Y, Ohya I, Hara A, Nakanishi M, Sawada H. Ultrastructural localization of carbonyl reductase in mouse lung. Histochem J. 1994;26:311-6 pubmed..These results clearly indicate the localization of carbonyl reductase to the mitochondrial matrix of these epithelial cells, of which the non-ciliated bronchiolar cells contained particularly high amounts of the enzyme. ..
- Takeuchi S, Ando M. Marginal cells of the stria vascularis of gerbils take up glucose via the facilitated transporter GLUT: application of autofluorescence. Hear Res. 1997;114:69-74 pubmed..g., Fura-2 and SBFI) are similar to those of NADH, possible effects of autofluorescence on recording signals should always be taken into account when these dyes are utilized...
- Kanai T, Takeshita S, Atomi H, Umemura K, Ueda M, Tanaka A. A regulatory factor, Fil1p, involved in derepression of the isocitrate lyase gene in Saccharomyces cerevisiae--a possible mitochondrial protein necessary for protein synthesis in mitochondria. Eur J Biochem. 1998;256:212-20 pubmed
- Koyama H, Takita E, Kawamura A, Hara T, Shibata D. Over expression of mitochondrial citrate synthase gene improves the growth of carrot cells in Al-phosphate medium. Plant Cell Physiol. 1999;40:482-8 pubmed..It appears, the overexpression of mitochondrial citrate synthase in carrot cells improves the growth rate in Al-phosphate medium possibly as a result of increased citrate excretion. ..
- Ohsawa I, Nishimaki K, Yasuda C, Kamino K, Ohta S. Deficiency in a mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase increases vulnerability to oxidative stress in PC12 cells. J Neurochem. 2003;84:1110-7 pubmed..Thus, these findings suggest that mitochondrial ALDH2 functions as a protector against oxidative stress. ..
- Oka Y, Kobayakawa K, Nishizumi H, Miyamichi K, Hirose S, Tsuboi A, et al. O-MACS, a novel member of the medium-chain acyl-CoA synthetase family, specifically expressed in the olfactory epithelium in a zone-specific manner. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1995-2004 pubmed..The present study indicates that this novel protein may play important roles in processing odorants in a zone-specific manner, or the zonal patterning of the OE during development. ..
- Fukazawa H, Noguchi K, Masumi A, Murakami Y, Uehara Y. BimEL is an important determinant for induction of anoikis sensitivity by mitogen-activated protein/extracellular signal-regulated kinase kinase inhibitors. Mol Cancer Ther. 2004;3:1281-8 pubmed..We conclude that MEK inhibitors sensitize MDA-MB231 and HBC4 cells to anoikis by blocking phosphorylation and hence degradation of BimEL, a mechanism that these cells depend on to escape anoikis. ..
- Matsumoto Y, Iwamoto Y, Matsushita T, Ueoka R. Novel mechanism of hybrid liposomes-induced apoptosis in human tumor cells. Int J Cancer. 2005;115:377-82 pubmed..Hybrid liposomes themselves can induce apoptosis in human tumor cells along with high inhibitory effects on the growth of tumor cells. ..
- Nomura M, Higuchi T, Katayama K, Taniguchi M, Miyao Tokutomi M, Matsuoka M, et al. The promoter for C4-type mitochondrial aspartate aminotransferase does not direct bundle sheath-specific expression in transgenic rice plants. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:743-53 pubmed..miliaceum (C4) and rice (C3) and that the expression of the C4 genes introduced into rice mimics that of their counterpart genes in rice. ..
- Joshita S, Umemura T, Yoshizawa K, Katsuyama Y, Tanaka E, Nakamura M, et al. Association analysis of cytotoxic T-lymphocyte antigen 4 gene polymorphisms with primary biliary cirrhosis in Japanese patients. J Hepatol. 2010;53:537-41 pubmed publisher..The connection between genetic variants and the function of the CTLA4 gene remains to be addressed in future investigations. ..
- Piyaviriyakul S, Shimizu K, Asakawa T, Kan T, Siripong P, Oku N. Anti-angiogenic activity and intracellular distribution of epigallocatechin-3-gallate analogs. Biol Pharm Bull. 2011;34:396-400 pubmed..These results suggest that EGCG was incorporated into the HUVECs, that a portion of it entered into their mitochondria. ..
- Ahmed K, Sawa T, Ihara H, Kasamatsu S, Yoshitake J, Rahaman M, et al. Regulation by mitochondrial superoxide and NADPH oxidase of cellular formation of nitrated cyclic GMP: potential implications for ROS signalling. Biochem J. 2012;441:719-30 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study suggest that 8-nitro-cGMP can serve as a unique second messenger that may be implicated in regulating ROS signalling in the presence of NO. ..
- Takenaka T, Katayama M, Sugiyama A, Hagiwara M, Fujii I, Takatani Nakase T, et al. Gefitinib Enhances Mitochondrial Biological Functions in NSCLCs with EGFR Mutations at a High Cell Density. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:4779-4788 pubmed..Our results indicate that gefitinib may work as a mitochondrial protector against combinational treatment with mitochondria-dependent anticancer agents in high-cell-density. ..
- Kano M, Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Orii T, Osumi T, Hashimoto T. Structure and expression of the human mitochondrial acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase-encoding gene. Gene. 1991;109:285-90 pubmed..A CAT assay revealed that a 101-bp DNA fragment immediately upstream from the cap site has promoter activity, and suggested that a DNA fragment from bp -888 to -102 probably contains a negative regulatory element(s). ..
- Kawainoto T, Mitsuuchi Y, Ohnishi T, Ichikawa Y, Yokoyama Y, Sumimoto H, et al. Cloning and expression of a cDNA for human cytochrome P-450aldo as related to primary aldosteronism. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1990;173:309-16 pubmed..These results suggest that P-450aldo is a variant of P-450(11)beta, but this enzyme is a different gene product possibly playing a major role in the synthesis of aldosterone at least in a patient suffering from primary aldosteronism. ..
- Minami M, Maruyama W, Dostert P, Nagatsu T, Naoi M. Inhibition of type A and B monoamine oxidase by 6,7-dihydroxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinolines and their N-methylated derivatives. J Neural Transm Gen Sect. 1993;92:125-35 pubmed..Types of inhibition of type A monoamine oxidase depended on the enzyme sources. Inhibition of monoamine oxidase by 6,7-dihydroxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinolines is discussed in relation to their chemical structures. ..
- Matsutani A, Takeuchi Y, Ishihara H, Kuwano S, Oka Y. Molecular cloning of human mitochondrial glycerophosphate dehydrogenase gene: genomic structure, chromosomal localization, and existence of a pseudogene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;223:481-6 pubmed..Genomic cloning also identified a pseudogene located on chromosome 19q13.4. These results provide information useful for analyzing the mGPDH gene in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. ..
- Paumen M, Ishida Y, Han H, Muramatsu M, Eguchi Y, Tsujimoto Y, et al. Direct interaction of the mitochondrial membrane protein carnitine palmitoyltransferase I with Bcl-2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;231:523-5 pubmed..Full-length CPT I was required for binding to Bcl-2. Direct protein interaction was confirmed in a GST binding assay and in coimmunoprecipitations using two different kinds of anti-Bcl-2 antibodies. ..
- Kitakawa M, Graack H, Grohmann L, Goldschmidt Reisin S, Herfurth E, Wittmann Liebold B, et al. Identification and characterization of the genes for mitochondrial ribosomal proteins of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur J Biochem. 1997;245:449-56 pubmed..Furthermore, we determined the N-terminal amino acid sequences of seven small subunit proteins and subsequently identified the genes for five of them, three of which were found to be new. ..
- Kiyomiya K, Matsuo S, Kurebe M. Differences in intracellular sites of action of Adriamycin in neoplastic and normal differentiated cells. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2001;47:51-6 pubmed..The cytotoxic effects on normal differentiated cells may be related to the high levels of production of reactive oxygen species due to high mitochondrial NADH-cytochrome c reductase activity. ..
- Uchimura H, Enjoji H, Seki T, Taguchi A, Takaya N, Shoun H. Nitrate reductase-formate dehydrogenase couple involved in the fungal denitrification by Fusarium oxysporum. J Biochem. 2002;131:579-86 pubmed..Analyses of the mutant species of F. oxysporum that were defective in Nar and/or assimilatory nitrate reductase conclusively showed that Nar is essential for the fungal denitrification. ..
- Nakai M, Mori A, Watanabe A, Mitsumoto Y. 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP+) decreases mitochondrial oxidation-reduction (REDOX) activity and membrane potential (Deltapsi(m)) in rat striatum. Exp Neurol. 2003;179:103-10 pubmed
- Kido H, Chen Y, Yamada H, Okumura Y. [Host cellular proteases trigger the infectivity of the influenza virus in the airway and brain]. Nihon Yakurigaku Zasshi. 2003;122:45-53 pubmed
- Kimura S, Zhang G, Nishiyama A, Shokoji T, Yao L, Fan Y, et al. Mitochondria-derived reactive oxygen species and vascular MAP kinases: comparison of angiotensin II and diazoxide. Hypertension. 2005;45:438-44 pubmed
- Roy M, Thalang V, Trakoontivakorn G, Nakahara K. Mahanine, a carbazole alkaloid from Micromelum minutum, inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in U937 cells through a mitochondrial dependent pathway. Br J Pharmacol. 2005;145:145-55 pubmed..More specifically, we propose that mahanine causes the mitochondrial membranes to lose their permeability, resulting in caspase-3 activation and apoptosis. ..
- Mizuarai S, Miki S, Araki H, Takahashi K, Kotani H. Identification of dicarboxylate carrier Slc25a10 as malate transporter in de novo fatty acid synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:32434-41 pubmed
- Kasahara A, Ishikawa K, Yamaoka M, Ito M, Watanabe N, Akimoto M, et al. Generation of trans-mitochondrial mice carrying homoplasmic mtDNAs with a missense mutation in a structural gene using ES cells. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:871-81 pubmed
- Shima J, Ando A, Takagi H. Possible roles of vacuolar H+-ATPase and mitochondrial function in tolerance to air-drying stress revealed by genome-wide screening of Saccharomyces cerevisiae deletion strains. Yeast. 2008;25:179-90 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that oxidative stress is a critical determinant of sensitivity to air-drying stress, although ROS-scavenging systems are not necessary for air-drying stress tolerance. ..
- Amo T, Sato S, Saiki S, Wolf A, Toyomizu M, Gautier C, et al. Mitochondrial membrane potential decrease caused by loss of PINK1 is not due to proton leak, but to respiratory chain defects. Neurobiol Dis. 2011;41:111-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that mitochondrial dysfunctions in PD pathogenesis are caused not by proton leak, but by respiratory chain defects. ..
- Wei T, Miyazaki N, Uehara Ichiki T, Hibino H, Shimizu T, Netsu O, et al. Three-dimensional analysis of the association of viral particles with mitochondria during the replication of Rice gall dwarf virus. J Mol Biol. 2011;410:436-46 pubmed publisher..Our analysis demonstrates the three-dimensional arrangement and molecular basis for the mitochondrial proximity of RGDV particles during viral replication. ..
- Hosoki A, Yonekura S, Zhao Q, Wei Z, Takasaki I, Tabuchi Y, et al. Mitochondria-targeted superoxide dismutase (SOD2) regulates radiation resistance and radiation stress response in HeLa cells. J Radiat Res. 2012;53:58-71 pubmed
- Fukumori R, Takarada T, Nakazato R, Fujikawa K, Kou M, Hinoi E, et al. Selective inhibition by ethanol of mitochondrial calcium influx mediated by uncoupling protein-2 in relation to N-methyl-D-aspartate cytotoxicity in cultured neurons. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69718 pubmed publisher..Here, we evaluated pharmacological profiles of ethanol on the NMDA-induced increase in mitochondrial Ca(2+) levels in cultured murine neocortical neurons...
- Vigani G, Bashir K, Ishimaru Y, Lehmann M, Casiraghi F, Nakanishi H, et al. Knocking down mitochondrial iron transporter (MIT) reprograms primary and secondary metabolism in rice plants. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:1357-68 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the induction of local Fe deficiency in the mitochondrial compartment of mit-2 plants differentially affects the transcript as well as the metabolic profiles in root and shoot tissues. ..
- Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Orii T, Hashimoto T. Molecular basis of beta-ketothiolase deficiency: mutations and polymorphisms in the human mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase gene. Hum Mutat. 1995;5:113-20 pubmed..A correlation between clinical phenotype and genotype in T2 deficiency seems unlikely. ..
- Kobayashi T, Endoh H. Caspase-like activity in programmed nuclear death during conjugation of Tetrahymena thermophila. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:634-40 pubmed..An involvement of mitochondria in the programmed nuclear death is discussed...
- Takeshima H, Joh T, Tsuzuki T, Shimada K, Matsukado Y. Structural organization of the mouse mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase gene. J Mol Biol. 1988;200:1-11 pubmed
- Koyama H, Kawamura A, Kihara T, Hara T, Takita E, Shibata D. Overexpression of mitochondrial citrate synthase in Arabidopsis thaliana improved growth on a phosphorus-limited soil. Plant Cell Physiol. 2000;41:1030-7 pubmed..It appears that the overexpression of CS in A. thaliana improves the growth in phosphorous limited soil as a result of enhanced citrate excretion from the roots. ..
- Takamura T, Nagai Y, Taniguchi M, Yamashita H, Nakamura S, Ikeda T, et al. Adrenocorticotropin-independent unilateral adrenocortical hyperplasia with Cushing's syndrome: Immunohistochemical studies of steroidogenic enzymes, ultrastructural examination and a review of the literature. Pathol Int. 2001;51:118-22 pubmed..Ultrastructural examination of nodular cortical cells also demonstrated well-developed mitochondria and smooth endoplasmic reticulum, consistent with elevated steroidogenesis in these cells...
- Ikegami T, Matsuzaki Y, Al Rashid M, Ceryak S, Zhang Y, Bouscarel B. Enhancement of DNA topoisomerase I inhibitor-induced apoptosis by ursodeoxycholic acid. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006;5:68-79 pubmed..However, the use of this bile acid as an enhancer in antitumor chemotherapy should be further evaluated clinically. ..
- Kim J, Yoshikawa H, Shirahige K. A member of the YER057c/yjgf/Uk114 family links isoleucine biosynthesis and intact mitochondria maintenance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Cells. 2001;6:507-17 pubmed..Taken together, Ibm1p may act as a sensor for isoleucine deficiency as well as a regulator determining the specificity for branched amino acid transaminase. ..
- Himeda T, Okuwa T, Nojiri M, Muraki Y, Ohara Y. The anti-apoptotic protein L(*) of Theiler's murine encephalomyelitis virus (TMEV) contains a mitochondrial targeting signal. Virus Res. 2011;155:381-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the intra- or inter-molecular interaction of L(*) regulates its mitochondrial localization. It is also suggested that L(*) may inhibit the intrinsic apoptosis through the localization to mitochondria. ..
- Ishihara Y, Katayama K, Sakabe M, Kitamura M, Aizawa M, Takara M, et al. Antioxidant properties of rare sugar D-allose: Effects on mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production in Neuro2A cells. J Biosci Bioeng. 2011;112:638-42 pubmed publisher..Treatment with D-allose inhibited the ATP synthesis stimulated by D-glucose. These results suggest that D-allose suppresses ROS production in the mitochondria due to competition with D-glucose at the cellular level. ..
- Takata K, Yoshida H, Hirose F, Yamaguchi M, Kai M, Oshige M, et al. Drosophila mitochondrial transcription factor A: characterization of its cDNA and expression pattern during development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;287:474-83 pubmed..Based on these results, the functions of D-mtTFA were discussed in relation to mitochondrial biogenesis of Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Ueda Y, Koya T, Yoneda Kato N, Kato J. Small mitochondrial ARF (smARF) is located in both the nucleus and cytoplasm, induces cell death, and activates p53 in mouse fibroblasts. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:1459-64 pubmed publisher..GFP-smARF stabilized p53 thereby inducing expression of the target genes, MDM2 and p21. We suggest that smARF has functions other than mitochondria-mediated autophagy, and induces p53 expression and cell death via a novel mechanism. ..
- Nakano M, Imamura H, Nagai T, Noji H. Ca²? regulation of mitochondrial ATP synthesis visualized at the single cell level. ACS Chem Biol. 2011;6:709-15 pubmed publisher..Also, the GO-ATeam excitation wavelength is much less phototoxic to cells, making the probe suitable for long-time observation. ..
- Kiyonaka S, Kajimoto T, Sakaguchi R, Shinmi D, Omatsu Kanbe M, Matsuura H, et al. Genetically encoded fluorescent thermosensors visualize subcellular thermoregulation in living cells. Nat Methods. 2013;10:1232-8 pubmed publisher..In HeLa cells, tsGFP targeted to mitochondria reveals heterogeneity in thermogenesis that correlates with the electrochemical gradient. Thus, tsGFPs are powerful tools to noninvasively assess thermogenesis in living cells. ..
- Akiyama T, Okada M. Spatial and developmental changes in the respiratory activity of mitochondria in early Drosophila embryos. Development. 1992;115:1175-82 pubmed..The posterior group mutations that we tested (staufen, oskar, tudor, nanos) and the terminal mutation (torso) did not alter staining pattern of the posterior with rhodamine 123. ..
- Uno M, Ito K, Nakamura Y. Functional specificity of amino acid at position 246 in the tRNA mimicry domain of bacterial release factor 2. Biochimie. 1996;78:935-43 pubmed
- Imamura M, Nakamura A, Mannen H, Takeda S. Characterization of WWP1 protein expression in skeletal muscle of muscular dystrophy chickens. J Biochem. 2016;159:171-9 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data revealed that the R441Q missense mutation in the WWP1 protein causes degradation and loss of the sarcolemmal localization of WWP1, which may play a role in the pathogenesis of chicken MD. ..
- Wakazono A, Fukao T, Yamaguchi S, Hori T, Orii T, Lambert M, et al. Molecular, biochemical, and clinical characterization of mitochondrial acetoacetyl-coenzyme A thiolase deficiency in two further patients. Hum Mutat. 1995;5:34-42 pubmed..Cotransfection of two cDNAs containing N158D and T297M suggested that heterotetramer formation reduces residual activity in GK11 cells. ..
- Ishihara H, Nakazaki M, Kanegae Y, Inukai K, Asano T, Katagiri H, et al. Effect of mitochondrial and/or cytosolic glycerol 3-phosphate dehydrogenase overexpression on glucose-stimulated insulin secretion from MIN6 and HIT cells. Diabetes. 1996;45:1238-44 pubmed..The present data indicate that the emerging hypothesis pointing to mGPDH deficiency as a possible cause of NIDDM needs to be carefully evaluated. ..
- Takemasa T, Sugimoto K, Miyazaki M, Machida M, Ikeda S, Hitomi Y, et al. Simple method for the identification of oxidative fibers in skeletal muscle. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2004;91:357-9 pubmed..Owing to the recent advances in cooling charge-coupled device technology, such auto-fluorescence can now be used for myofiber typing, and the simple and rapid method for doing so is reported here. ..
- Kawaura K, Saeki A, Masumura T, Morita S, Ogihara Y. Heteroplasmy and expression of mitochondrial genes in alloplasmic and euplasmic wheat. Genes Genet Syst. 2011;86:249-55 pubmed..Transcripts of paternal mitochondrial gene types were scarcely found. This suggests that minor fractions including paternal mitochondrial gene types are maintained and silenced in the descendants. ..
- Dvorak P, Dvorakova D, Yoshiki A, Ohashi T, Kitamura K, Kusakabe M. Expression of paternal and maternal mitochondrial HSP70 family, hsc74, in preimplantation mouse embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 1995;39:511-7 pubmed
- Kobayashi S, Amikura R, Nakamura A, Saito H, Okada M. Mislocalization of oskar product in the anterior pole results in ectopic localization of mitochondrial large ribosomal RNA in Drosophila embryos. Dev Biol. 1995;169:384-6 pubmed..This clearly shows, contrary to the previous report by Ding et al. (1994, Developmental Biology 163, 503-515), that localization of mtlrRNA depends on oskar function even at the anterior pole. ..