Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: middle aged
Publications3020 found, 100 shown here
- Sierakowski A, Zweifel C, Sirotakova M, Sauerland S, Elliot D. Joint replacement in 131 painful osteoarthritic and post-traumatic distal interphalangeal joints. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012;37:304-9 pubmed publisher..Two joints had subsequent fusions because of persistent lateral instability and marked ulnar deviation and one had a persistent mallet-type deformity, corrected by tendon shortening. ..
- Clarke M, Dasenbrock H, Bydon A, Sciubba D, McGirt M, Hsieh P, et al. Posterior-only approach for en bloc sacrectomy: clinical outcomes in 36 consecutive patients. Neurosurgery. 2012;71:357-64; discussion 364 pubmed publisher..However, we have found that en bloc resection and biomechanical reconstruction of the spinal column is possible from a posterior-only approach in many cases...
- Fader A, Java J, Krivak T, Bristow R, Tergas A, Bookman M, et al. The prognostic significance of pre- and post-treatment CA-125 in grade 1 serous ovarian carcinoma: a gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2014;132:560-5 pubmed publisher..While pretreatment CA-125 was not associated with survival, serial CA-125 measurements during chemotherapy treatment were prognostic, with normalization before the second chemotherapy cycle associated with a decreased risk of death. ..
- Herne M, Bartholomew M, Weahkee R. Suicide mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1999-2009. Am J Public Health. 2014;104 Suppl 3:S336-42 pubmed publisher..Disparities between AI/AN and White rates were also highest in these regions. A coordinated, multidisciplinary effort involving federal, state, local, and tribal health officials is needed to address this important public health issue. ..
- Ghanipoor Machiani S, Abbas M. Assessment of driver stopping prediction models before and after the onset of yellow using two driving simulator datasets. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;96:308-315 pubmed publisher..The results reveal a promising possibility for incorporating the developed models in traffic-signal controllers to improve DZ-protection strategies. ..
- Marnach M, Long M, McGree M, Weaver A, Casey P. Female Sexual Function Improves After Endometrial Ablation. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016;25:149-54 pubmed publisher..001) and mental function (p = .002). Female sexual function improved and personal distress associated with sexual function decreased after endometrial ablation for heavy menstrual cycles. ..
- Kempegowda H, Maniar H, Tawari A, Fanelli G, Jones C, Sietsema D, et al. Knee Injury Associated With Acetabular Fractures: A Multicenter Study of 1273 Patients. J Orthop Trauma. 2016;30:48-51 pubmed publisher..Prognostic Level IV. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Tong C, Dusio G, Govindan S, Johnson D, Kidwell D, De La Rosa L, et al. Usefulness of Released Cardiac Myosin Binding Protein-C as a Predictor of Cardiovascular Events. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1501-1507 pubmed publisher..Thus, basal cMyBP-C levels reflected susceptibility for a variety of cardiovascular diseases. Together with its high sensitivity, cMyBP-C holds potential as a screening biomarker for the existence of severe cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Momany M, Martinez Gutierrez J, Soto M, Capurro D, Ciampi F, Thompson B, et al. Development of mobile technologies for the prevention of cervical cancer in Santiago, Chile study protocol: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:847 pubmed publisher..If successful, this strategy may reduce the incidence of cervical cancer. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT02376023 Registered 2/17/2015. First participant enrolled Feb 22nd 2016. ..
- Smith W, Londborg P, Glaudin V, Painter J. Is extended clonazepam cotherapy of fluoxetine effective for outpatients with major depression?. J Affect Disord. 2002;70:251-9 pubmed..Cotherapy might be considered at the start of fluoxetine treatment, especially for those with insomnia, and when a dose increase of fluoxetine is anticipated. ..
- Kaiser M, Whealon M, Barrios C, Dobson S, Malinoski D, Dolich M, et al. The clinical significance of occult thoracic injury in blunt trauma patients. Am Surg. 2010;76:1063-6 pubmed..No patient with isolated occult thoracic injury required intubation or tube thoracostomy. Occult injuries, diagnosed by TCT only, have minimal clinical consequences but attract increased hospital resources. ..
- Horn Ross P, Chang E, Clarke C, Keegan T, Rull R, Quach T, et al. Nativity and papillary thyroid cancer incidence rates among Hispanic women in California. Cancer. 2012;118:216-22 pubmed publisher..These patterns can provide insight for future etiologic investigations of modifiable risk factors for this increasingly common and understudied cancer. ..
- Ngeow J, Mester J, Rybicki L, Ni Y, Milas M, Eng C. Incidence and clinical characteristics of thyroid cancer in prospective series of individuals with Cowden and Cowden-like syndrome characterized by germline PTEN, SDH, or KLLN alterations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96:E2063-71 pubmed publisher..Children presenting with thyroid cancer should be tested for PTEN mutations. ..
- Yazdan P, Cooper C, Sholl L, Busam K, Rademaker A, Weitner B, et al. Comparative analysis of atypical spitz tumors with heterozygous versus homozygous 9p21 deletions for clinical outcomes, histomorphology, BRAF mutation, and p16 expression. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014;38:638-45 pubmed publisher..Coexisting BRAF mutation and 9p21 deletion was more common in conventional melanomas than in ASTs with heterozygous or homozygous 9p21 deletion. BRAF mutation was highly uncommon among the ASTs. ..
- Kamal A, Bull J, Wolf S, Swetz K, Shanafelt T, Ast K, et al. Prevalence and Predictors of Burnout Among Hospice and Palliative Care Clinicians in the U.S. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016;51:690-6 pubmed publisher..Strategies at the discipline-wide and individual levels are needed to sustain the delivery of responsive, available, high-quality palliative care for all patients with serious illness. ..
- Adams L, Lindor K, Angulo P. The prevalence of autoantibodies and autoimmune hepatitis in patients with nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:1316-20 pubmed..Routinely measured autoantibodies are present in one quarter of patients with NAFLD and are associated with more severe histological damage. Liver biopsy is required to rule out AIH in most NAFLD patients with positive autoantibodies. ..
- Lang C, King J. Maternal mortality in the United States. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;22:517-31 pubmed publisher..One particularly appealing opportunity to reduce maternal mortality is to recognize, examine, and learn from so-called "near-miss" cases. ..
- Albain K, Barlow W, Shak S, Hortobagyi G, Livingston R, Yeh I, et al. Prognostic and predictive value of the 21-gene recurrence score assay in postmenopausal women with node-positive, oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer on chemotherapy: a retrospective analysis of a randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010;11:55-65 pubmed publisher..A low recurrence score identifies women who might not benefit from anthracycline-based chemotherapy, despite positive nodes. National Cancer Institute and Genomic Health. ..
- Woll M, Mazeh H, Anderson B, Chen H, Sippel R. Breast radiation correlates with side of parathyroid adenoma. World J Surg. 2012;36:607-11 pubmed publisher..Breast irradiation should therefore be considered a risk factor for the development of parathyroid adenomas. ..
- Liao Y, Siegel P, White S, Dulin R, Taylor A. Improving actions to control high blood pressure in Hispanic communities - Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health Across the U.S. Project, 2009-2012. Prev Med. 2016;83:11-5 pubmed publisher..S.-born Hispanics. This large community-based participatory intervention resulted in more Hispanic residents in the communities taking actions to control high blood pressure. ..
- Maccabee D, Sheppard B. Prevention of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy stoma metastases in patients with active oropharyngeal malignancy. Surg Endosc. 2003;17:1678 pubmed
- Vinson D. Diphenhydramine in the treatment of akathisia induced by prochlorperazine. J Emerg Med. 2004;26:265-70 pubmed..2 +/- 2.6, a mean reduction of 8.5 +/- 3.8 (95% confidence interval [CI], 7.8 to 9.4; p < 0.0001). In conclusion, intravenous diphenhydramine rapidly reduces signs and symptoms of acute akathisia induced by prochlorperazine. ..
- Plaza J, Mayerson J, Wakely P. Nodular fasciitis of the hand: a potential diagnostic pitfall in fine-needle aspiration cytopathology. Am J Clin Pathol. 2005;123:388-93 pubmed..All lesions eventually were diagnosed as nodular fasciitis after thorough histologic and immunohistologic evaluation. Nodular fasciitis remains a difficult diagnosis by FNAB, particularly when it occurs in locations such as the hand...
- Barnes S, Badrudduja M, Bernard A, Boulanger B. Pneumobilia after blunt trauma: a self-limited condition?. J Trauma. 2006;60:637-9 pubmed
- Oh S, Hatanaka Y, Claussen G, Sher E. Electrophysiological differences in seropositive and seronegative Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome. Muscle Nerve. 2007;35:178-83 pubmed
- Lake C. Hypothesis: grandiosity and guilt cause paranoia; paranoid schizophrenia is a psychotic mood disorder; a review. Schizophr Bull. 2008;34:1151-62 pubmed..Differential diagnoses, nomenclature, and treatment implications are discussed because bipolar patients misdiagnosed with schizophrenia are severely misserved. ..
- Menezes R, Cheney R, Husain A, Tretiakova M, Loewen G, Johnson C, et al. Vitamin D receptor expression in normal, premalignant, and malignant human lung tissue. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:1104-10 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that there is potential for the use of calcitriol as a chemopreventive agent against the development of lung cancer. ..
- Solem C, Loftus E, Fletcher J, Baron T, Gostout C, Petersen B, et al. Small-bowel imaging in Crohn's disease: a prospective, blinded, 4-way comparison trial. Gastrointest Endosc. 2008;68:255-66 pubmed publisher..However, lower specificity and the need for preceding small-bowel radiography (due to the high frequency of asymptomatic PSBO) may limit the utility of CE as a first-line test for Crohn's disease. ..
- Ronen O, Malone J, Kay P, Bivens C, Hall K, Paruchuri L, et al. Expression of a novel marker, Ubc9, in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Head Neck. 2009;31:845-55 pubmed publisher..Ubc9 is significantly overexpressed in the primary SCCHN tumors and peritumoral mucosa compared with normal epithelial cells. These findings suggest that Ubc9 may play an important role in tumorigenesis and tumor progression of SCCHN. ..
- Ramiscal J, Jatoi A. Bevacizumab-induced nasal septal perforation: incidence of symptomatic, confirmed event(s) in colorectal cancer patients. Acta Oncol. 2011;50:578-81 pubmed publisher..Nasal septal perforation from bevacizumab occurs infrequently among colorectal cancer patients. ..
- Seltzer M, Barker E, Greenberg J, Hong J, Coe C, Almeida D. Differential sensitivity to life stress in FMR1 premutation carrier mothers of children with fragile X syndrome. Health Psychol. 2012;31:612-22 pubmed publisher..The premutation of the FMR1 gene (defined as between 55 and 200 CGG repeats) is estimated to affect 1 in 149 females and 1 in 643 males, and some people who carry the FMR1 premutation display signs of impairment...
- Tavassolie T, Penninger R, Zuñiga M, Minor L, Carey J. Multislice computed tomography in the diagnosis of superior canal dehiscence: how much error, and how to minimize it?. Otol Neurotol. 2012;33:215-22 pubmed publisher..A threshold of the radiodensity of the bone over the superior semicircular canal may exist that could optimize prediction of an actual SSCD...
- Le V, Smith D, Johnson B. Conversion of laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy in the current era of laparoscopic surgery. Am Surg. 2012;78:1392-5 pubmed..The willingness and ability of surgeons to convert to open cholecystectomy continues to be important to the safety of this operation. ..
- Zeitouni N, Paquette A, Housel J, Shi Y, Wilding G, Foster T, et al. A retrospective review of pain control by a two-step irradiance schedule during topical ALA-photodynamic therapy of non-melanoma skin cancer. Lasers Surg Med. 2013;45:89-94 pubmed publisher..Success of this pilot investigation motivated integration of the protocol into routine practice. Here, we present a retrospective review of recent clinical experience in a broad patient population...
- Li Q, Chang Z, Oliveira G, Xiong M, Smith L, Frey B, et al. Protein turnover during inÂ vitro tissue engineering. Biomaterials. 2016;81:104-113 pubmed publisher..This technique sheds new light on inÂ vitro tissue remodeling and the process of tissue regeneration, and is readily applicable to other tissue and organ systems. ..
- Alkatan M, Baker J, Machin D, Park W, Akkari A, Pasha E, et al. Improved Function and Reduced Pain after Swimming and Cycling Training in Patients with Osteoarthritis. J Rheumatol. 2016;43:666-72 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the benefits of swimming exercise were similar to the more frequently prescribed land-based cycling training. clinicaltrials.gov NCT01836380. ..
- Ritchie C, Zhao F, Patel K, Manola J, Kvale E, Snyder C, et al. Association between patients' perception of the comorbidity burden and symptoms in outpatients with common solid tumors. Cancer. 2017;123:3835-3842 pubmed publisher..Greater attention to comorbid conditions is needed to optimize the symptom management of cancer patients with multimorbidity. Cancer 2017;123:3835-3842. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Giglia M, DeRussy A, Morris M, Richman J, Hawn M, Vickers S, et al. Racial disparities in length-of-stay persist even with no postoperative complications. J Surg Res. 2017;214:14-22 pubmed publisher..05). Black patients have significantly longer postoperative length-of-stay after elective colorectal surgery even if no postoperative complications occur. Further studies are needed to understand the mechanism(s) for these disparities. ..
- Datta D, McNamee M. Use of activated protein C (drotrecogin alfa) in a patient with sepsis and respiratory failure on ultra high frequency jet ventilation. Conn Med. 2003;67:11-2 pubmed..We describe a patient with sepsis and respiratory failure on Ultra High Frequency Jet Ventilator, who was started on drotrecogin alfa, without the development of any significant bleeding. ..
- Croak A, Schulte V, Peron S, Klingele C, Gebhart J, Lee R. Transvaginal tape lysis for urinary obstruction after tension-free vaginal tape placement. J Urol. 2003;169:2238-41 pubmed..Tape lysis is simple and effective for relieving obstruction, and is not associated with a high rate of recurrent stress urinary incontinence. ..
- Conrad G, Sinha P. Narrow time-window dual-point 18F-FDG PET for the diagnosis of thoracic malignancy. Nucl Med Commun. 2003;24:1129-37 pubmed
- Alobeid B, Pan L, Milligan L, Budel L, Frizzera G. Eosinophil-rich CD30+ lymphoproliferative disorder of the oral mucosa. A form of "traumatic eosinophilic granuloma". Am J Clin Pathol. 2004;121:43-50 pubmed..However, they represent only a subset among several others within the complex and heterogeneous category of disorders referred to as TEG...
- Fakih M. Gemcitabine-induced rectus abdominus radiation recall. JOP. 2006;7:306-10 pubmed..Given the wide use of gemcitabine following chemoradiation for pancreatic cancer, providers should be aware of this potential complication. ..
- Fukuda S, Gillinov A, McCarthy P, Stewart W, Song J, Kihara T, et al. Determinants of recurrent or residual functional tricuspid regurgitation after tricuspid annuloplasty. Circulation. 2006;114:I582-7 pubmed..These factors identify patients at risk for repair failure; such individuals require development of additional surgical strategies to improve results of tricuspid valve repair and close surveillance after surgery. ..
- James L, Barnes T, Lelliott P, Taylor D, Paton C. Informing patients of the teratogenic potential of mood stabilizing drugs: a case note review of the practice of psychiatrists. J Psychopharmacol. 2007;21:815-9 pubmed
- Sharma S, Lasheen W, Walsh D. Paraneoplastic refractory hypercalcemia due to advanced metastatic esthesioneuroblastoma. Rhinology. 2008;46:153-5 pubmed..Humoral hypercalcemia of malignancy (HHM) has never been described with ENB before. We describe a case of Kadish Stage C ENB with recurrent Hypercalcemia. The hypercalcemia became refractory to therapy and was the cause of death. ..
- Chan J, Beer T, Quinn D, Pinski J, Garzotto M, Sokoloff M, et al. A phase II study of high-dose calcitriol combined with mitoxantrone and prednisone for androgen-independent prostate cancer. BJU Int. 2008;102:1601-6 pubmed publisher..The high rate of analgesic response is encouraging. The addition of DN-101 does not appear to increase the toxicity of mitoxantrone. ..
- Bentley D, Andea A, Holzer A, Elewski B. Lack of classic histology should not prevent diagnosis of necrolytic acral erythema. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009;60:504-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we recommend additional work-up, including hepatitis C status and zinc levels, as well as possible treatment with oral zinc sulfate in patients with a potential diagnosis of NAE. ..
- Egan B, Zhao Y, Axon R. US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008. JAMA. 2010;303:2043-50 pubmed publisher..Hypertension control was significantly lower among younger than middle-aged individuals and older adults, and Hispanic vs white individuals. ..
- Bogan R, Bornemann M, Kushida C, Tran P, Barrett R. Long-term maintenance treatment of restless legs syndrome with gabapentin enacarbil: a randomized controlled study. Mayo Clin Proc. 2010;85:512-21 pubmed publisher..Gabapentin enacarbil, 1200 mg, maintained improvements in RLS symptoms compared with placebo and showed long-term tolerability in adults with moderate to severe primary RLS for up to 9 months of treatment. ..
- Medina J, Abrams K, Falcone S, Bhatia R. Spinal imaging findings in spontaneous intracranial hypotension. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;195:459-64 pubmed publisher..Encountering these findings on spinal images may suggest the diagnosis of spontaneous intracranial hypotension and therefore can influence patient treatment. ..
- Conti H, Baker O, Freeman A, Jang W, Holland S, Li R, et al. New mechanism of oral immunity to mucosal candidiasis in hyper-IgE syndrome. Mucosal Immunol. 2011;4:448-55 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration that HIES is associated with defective salivary activity, and provides a mechanism for the severe susceptibility of these patients to OPC. ..
- Tollefson M, Gettman M, Karnes R, Frank I. Administrative data sets are inaccurate for assessing functional outcomes after radical prostatectomy. J Urol. 2011;185:1686-90 pubmed publisher..Therefore, outcomes data generated using this approach may not reflect the development or severity of such complications. ..
- Wang D, Li F, Freed D, Finnefrock A, Tang A, Grimes S, et al. Quantitative analysis of neutralizing antibody response to human cytomegalovirus in natural infection. Vaccine. 2011;29:9075-80 pubmed publisher..The serum neutralizing activities were maintained at high levels throughout the child bearing age. The corresponding titers may serve as a biomarker for CMV vaccine efficacy. ..
- Loevinger B, Shirtcliff E, Muller D, Alonso C, Coe C. Delineating psychological and biomedical profiles in a heterogeneous fibromyalgia population using cluster analysis. Clin Rheumatol. 2012;31:677-85 pubmed publisher..Appreciation of distinct FM subgroup features is invaluable for selecting the most appropriate treatment modalities. ..
- Haggerty L, Hawkins J, Fontenot H, LEWIS O CONNOR A. Tools for screening for interpersonal violence: state of the science. Violence Vict. 2011;26:725-37 pubmed..The article concludes with a summary of the risk-benefit issues related to the use of these tools and universal screening in general. ..
- Flaherty M, Sayfo S, Resar J. Transcatheter closure of five atrial septal communications in the presence of severe pulmonary arterial hypertension and severe left ventricular non-compliance. J Invasive Cardiol. 2015;27:E51-5 pubmed..We report our strategy for hemodynamic evaluation and successful closure of all defects. ..
- Meenan R, Anderson M, Chubak J, Vernon S, Fuller S, Wang C, et al. An economic evaluation of colorectal cancer screening in primary care practice. Am J Prev Med. 2015;48:714-21 pubmed publisher..Two-year cost effectiveness of a stepped approach to colorectal cancer screening promotion based on EHR data is indicated, but longer-term cost effectiveness requires further study. ..
- Maher S, Ekstrom T, Holt D, Ongur D, Chen Y. The Core Brain Region for Face Processing in Schizophrenia Lacks Face Selectivity. Schizophr Bull. 2016;42:666-74 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests boosting visual salience of face images as a potential therapeutic venue for improving face perception in this psychiatric disorder. ..
- Kim A, Lundgreen A, Wolff R, Fejerman L, John E, Torres MejÃa G, et al. Red meat, poultry, and fish intake and breast cancer risk among Hispanic and Non-Hispanic white women: The Breast Cancer Health Disparities Study. Cancer Causes Control. 2016;27:527-43 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest the presence of ethnic differences in associations between meat and BC risk that may contribute to BC disparities. ..
- Vora A, Stanislawski M, Grunwald G, Plomondon M, Rumsfeld J, Maddox T, et al. Association Between Chronic Kidney Disease and Rates of Transfusion and Progression to End-Stage Renal Disease in Patients Undergoing Transradial Versus Transfemoral Cardiac Catheterization-An Analysis From the Veterans Affairs Clinical Assessment Re. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..These data provide additional evidence that transradial access may provide significant benefit in this high-risk population. ..
- Armenia S, Pentakota S, Merchant A. Socioeconomic factors and mortality in emergency general surgery: trends over a 20-year period. J Surg Res. 2017;212:178-186 pubmed publisher..Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries continued to experience higher odds of in-hospital mortality relative to those with private insurance. ..
- Witting M, Wears R, Li S. Defining the positive tilt test: a study of healthy adults with moderate acute blood loss. Ann Emerg Med. 1994;23:1320-3 pubmed..In applying the tilt test to young adults without cardiovascular disease, pulse measurement usually is all that is necessary. ..
- Taglia D, Perkins T, Gangnon R, Heatley G, Kaufman P. Comparison of the Ahmed Glaucoma Valve, the Krupin Eye Valve with Disk, and the double-plate Molteno implant. J Glaucoma. 2002;11:347-53 pubmed..The findings suggest that the Ahmed implant is less likely to create problems leading to reoperations or visual acuity loss than the Molteno or Krupin implants. ..
- Lokuta A, Maertz N, Meethal S, Potter K, Kamp T, Valdivia H, et al. Increased nitration of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase in human heart failure. Circulation. 2005;111:988-95 pubmed..We conclude that SERCA2a inactivation by nitration may contribute to Ca pump failure and hence heart failure in DCM. ..
- Gorniak J, Jenkins A, Felo J, Balraj E. Drug prevalence in drowning deaths in Cuyahoga County, Ohio: a ten-year retrospective study. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2005;26:240-3 pubmed..This study demonstrates that the majority of drowning deaths in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, were not drug related. Deaths in which drugs were detected were typically accidental deaths, with ethanol the most common drug detected. ..
- Gupta V, Galante A, Soteropoulos P, Guo S, Wagner B. Global gene profiling reveals novel glucocorticoid induced changes in gene expression of human lens epithelial cells. Mol Vis. 2005;11:1018-40 pubmed
- Ghia A, Tome W, Thomas S, Cannon G, Khuntia D, Kuo J, et al. Distribution of brain metastases in relation to the hippocampus: implications for neurocognitive functional preservation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007;68:971-7 pubmed..Moreover, we developed a hippocampal sparing tomotherapy plan as proof of principle to verify the feasibility of this therapy in the setting of brain metastases. ..
- Bove G, Rogerson P, Vena J. Case control study of the geographic variability of exposure to disinfectant byproducts and risk for rectal cancer. Int J Health Geogr. 2007;6:18 pubmed..We also observed a geographic pattern of increased risk of rectal cancer in areas with the highest levels of bromoform in the county. ..
- Pittock S, Lennon V. Aquaporin-4 autoantibodies in a paraneoplastic context. Arch Neurol. 2008;65:629-32 pubmed publisher..An eighth patient had monoclonal gammopathy. Aquaporin-4-specific IgG in some cases of NMO may reflect a paraneoplastic immune response. The clinical utility of this autoantibody as a cancer marker warrants prospective investigation. ..
- Everly L, Merrick G, Allen Z, Butler W, Wallner K, Lief J, et al. Prostate cancer control and survival in Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange. Brachytherapy. 2009;8:57-62 pubmed publisher..In this cohort of prostate brachytherapy patients, Agent Orange exposure did not statistically impact survival in multivariate analysis. ..
- Nietert P, Tilley B, Zhao W, Edwards P, Wessell A, Mauldin P, et al. Two pharmacy interventions to improve refill persistence for chronic disease medications: a randomized, controlled trial. Med Care. 2009;47:32-40 pubmed publisher..There were no significant differences by treatment arm in the study outcomes. Neither of the interventions is more effective than usual care at improving persistence of prescription refills for chronic diseases in overdue patients. ..
- Sems S, Levy B, Dajani K, Herrera D, Templeman D. Incidence of deep venous thrombosis after temporary joint spanning external fixation for complex lower extremity injuries. J Trauma. 2009;66:1164-6 pubmed publisher..The early restoration of limb length, alignment, and stability allows early mobilization, which may contribute to the prevention of DVT. ..
- Vidoni E, Acerra N, Dao E, Meehan S, Boyd L. Role of the primary somatosensory cortex in motor learning: An rTMS study. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2010;93:532-9 pubmed publisher..The current study shows that disruption of somatosensation during task practice impairs the magnitude of change associated with motor learning, perhaps through the development of an inaccurate internal model. ..
- Tourkina E, Richard M, Oates J, Hofbauer A, Bonner M, GÃ¶Ã¶z P, et al. Caveolin-1 regulates leucocyte behaviour in fibrotic lung disease. Ann Rheum Dis. 2010;69:1220-6 pubmed publisher..Caveolin-1 downregulation in leucocytes contributes to fibrotic lung disease, highlighting caveolin-1 as a promising therapeutic target in scleroderma. ..
- Talbot E, Brown K, Kirkland K, Baughman A, Halperin S, Broder K. The safety of immunizing with tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) less than 2 years following previous tetanus vaccination: Experience during a mass vaccination campaign of healthcare personnel during a respiratory illness outbreak. Vaccine. 2010;28:8001-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings add to the body of evidence that a short interval between Td/TT and a single dose of Tdap is safe. ..
- Varadarajulu S, Bang J, Hébert Magee S. Assessment of the technical performance of the flexible 19-gauge EUS-FNA needle. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012;76:336-43 pubmed publisher..Confirmatory studies are required in a larger cohort of patients with varied pathologic conditions to validate these findings. ..
- Gomez E, Cazanave C, Cunningham S, Greenwood Quaintance K, Steckelberg J, Uhl J, et al. Prosthetic joint infection diagnosis using broad-range PCR of biofilms dislodged from knee and hip arthroplasty surfaces using sonication. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3501-8 pubmed publisher..Broad-range PCR and culture of sonicate fluid have equivalent performance for PJI diagnosis. ..
- Wildenberg J, Tyler M, Danilov Y, Kaczmarek K, Meyerand M. Altered connectivity of the balance processing network after tongue stimulation in balance-impaired individuals. Brain Connect. 2013;3:87-97 pubmed publisher..We present a model to explain these brain responses that utilizes an anatomically present, but functionally dormant pathway of information flow within the processing network. ..
- Shull A, Clendenning M, Ghoshal Gupta S, Farrell C, Vangapandu H, Dudas L, et al. Somatic mutations, allele loss, and DNA methylation of the Cub and Sushi Multiple Domains 1 (CSMD1) gene reveals association with early age of diagnosis in colorectal cancer patients. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58731 pubmed publisher..Deep amplicon sequencing and methylation-specific PCR reveal that CSMD1 alterations can correlate with earlier clinical presentation in colorectal tumors, thus further implicating CSMD1 as a tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Hannon P, Maxwell A, Escoffery C, Vu T, Kohn M, Leeman J, et al. Colorectal Cancer Control Program grantees' use of evidence-based interventions. Am J Prev Med. 2013;45:644-8 pubmed publisher..Almost all grantees implement EBIs to promote CRC screening, but the EBIs that may have the greatest impact with CRC screening are implemented by fewer grantees in the first 2 years of the CRCCP. ..
- Uchino M, Uchino Y, Dogru M, Kawashima M, Yokoi N, Komuro A, et al. Dry eye disease and work productivity loss in visual display users: the Osaka study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2014;157:294-300 pubmed publisher..This study indicated that there is a significant impact of DED on the total productivity of Japanese VDT users. ..
- Walker A, Daniels C, Goldman J, Trojanowski J, Lee V, Messing A. Astrocytic TDP-43 pathology in Alexander disease. J Neurosci. 2014;34:6448-58 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest common pathogenic mechanisms in ALS, FTLD, and AxD, and this is the first report of TDP-43 involvement in a neurological disorder primarily affecting astrocytes. ..
- Jiang S, Wu Y. Chinese people's intended and actual use of the court to resolve grievance/dispute. Soc Sci Res. 2015;49:42-52 pubmed publisher..Further, type of grievance/dispute is among the most significant predictors for both intended and actual appeals to the court. Implications for future research are provided. ..
- Miller Matero L, Tobin E, Clark S, Eshelman A, Genaw J. Pursuing bariatric surgery in an urban area: Gender and racial disparities and risk for psychiatric symptoms. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2016;10:56-62 pubmed publisher..Findings from this study suggest that we may need to explore ways of encouraging younger patients, males, and ethnic minorities to pursue bariatric surgery to increase weight loss success and decrease medical comorbidities. ..
- Borne R, Kay J, Fagan T, Nguyen D. Intra-atrial Reentrant Tachycardia in Complete Transposition of the Great Arteries Without Femoral Venous Access. Card Electrophysiol Clin. 2016;8:197-200 pubmed publisher..This case was unique in that the lack of femoral venous access required transhepatic venous access and bidirectional block was attained with ablation lesions along the cavotricuspid isthmus on both sides of the baffle. ..
- Clark A, Pellock J, Holmay M, Anders B, Cloyd J. Clinical utility of topiramate extended-release capsules (USL255): Bioequivalence of USL255 sprinkled and intact capsule in healthy adults and an in vitro evaluation of sprinkle delivery via enteral feeding tubes. Epilepsy Behav. 2016;57:105-110 pubmed publisher..USL255 beads were also successfully delivered in vitro through â‰¥14-Fr G- or J-tubes, with tube clogging minimized by portioning the dose and using glidant diluents for smaller tubes. ..
- Huang Y, Mark Jacquez G. Identification of a Blue Zone in a Typical Chinese Longevity Region. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..GIS analysis revealed a stable longevity zone located in the center of the research region. This area seems to help people live more easily to 90-99 years old; however, its ability to help nonagenarians live to 100 is a weaker effect. ..
- Baselga J, Im S, Iwata H, Cortes J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, et al. Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:904-916 pubmed publisher..No further studies are being pursued because of the toxicity associated with this combination. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. ..