Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Taiwan
Topic: middle aged
Publications756 found, 100 shown here
- Jeng Y, Chang C, Hu F, Chou H, Kao H, Wang T, et al. RNA-binding protein insulin-like growth factor II mRNA-binding protein 3 expression promotes tumor invasion and predicts early recurrence and poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2008;48:1118-27 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that IMP3 plays an important role in tumor invasion and metastasis and is a strong prognostic factor for patients with HCC. ..
- Wang C, Yang C, Chen S, Chen H, Huang M. Hepatic migration of a catheter fragment followed by disconnection of a totally implantable venous access port. Int J Artif Organs. 2008;31:1059-61 pubmed..This case highlights that the integrity of TIVAPs should be ascertained before chemotherapeutic drugs are administered...
- Wang V, Chen S, Chuang T, Shan D, Soong B, Kao M. Val-9Ala and Ile+58Thr polymorphism of MnSOD in Parkinson's disease. Clin Biochem. 2010;43:979-82 pubmed publisher..In this study the polymorphisms at codons -9 and+58 did not give informative association evidences with PD. ..
- Chern E, Yau D, Chuang F, Wu W. Arthroscopic shaver with refinement for axillary osmidrosis. Int J Dermatol. 2010;49:813-7 pubmed publisher..Our experience has indicated that preservation of fibrovascular cords protected epidermis from necrosis and such refinement will allow for more optimal clinical result and lower complications. ..
- Yuan R, Jeng Y, Hu R, Lai P, Lee P, Cheng C, et al. Role of p53 and ?-catenin mutations in conjunction with CK19 expression on early tumor recurrence and prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2011;15:321-9 pubmed publisher..CK19 cooperates with p53 mutation towards advanced disease. In contrast, CK19 expression and ?-catenin mutation play dramatic opposite roles in vascular invasion, ETR and the prognosis of HCC. ..
- Hsieh C, Wei M, Hsu Y, Chong N, Chen Y, Hsiao S, et al. Should helical tomotherapy replace brachytherapy for cervical cancer? Case report. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:637 pubmed publisher..CCRT followed by SBRT appears to be an effective and safe modality for treatment of cervical cancer. Larger-scale studies are warranted. ..
- Tsai N, Lin T, Chen S, Chang W, Wang H, Yang T, et al. The value of serial plasma nuclear and mitochondrial DNA levels in patients with acute ischemic stroke. Clin Chim Acta. 2011;412:476-9 pubmed publisher..Levels of plasma nuclear and mitochondrial DNA reflect the severity of cerebral damage after acute cerebral infarction. Assay of plasma DNA levels can be considered a neuro-pathologic marker of patients with acute ischemic stroke. ..
- Wu C, Lu Y, Kung Y, Lee C, Peng M. Prognostic value of dynamic soluble triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia. Respirology. 2011;16:487-94 pubmed publisher..5% for predicting mortality. sTREM-1 concentrations in BAL fluid are of potential prognostic value in patients with VAP. ..
- Liu Y, Shin Jung Lee S, Chen Y, Tu H, Chen B, Huang T. Differential diagnosis of tuberculous and malignant pleurisy using pleural fluid adenosine deaminase and interferon gamma in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2011;44:88-94 pubmed publisher..We recommend that initial ADA screening be used in conjunction with IFN-? measurements for differential diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy. ..
- Shueng P, Shen B, Wu L, Liao L, Hsiao C, Lin Y, et al. Concurrent image-guided intensity modulated radiotherapy and chemotherapy following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Radiat Oncol. 2011;6:95 pubmed publisher..None of out-field or marginal failure noted in the current study confirms the potential benefits of treating NPC patients by image-guided radiation modality. A long-term follow-up study is needed to confirm these preliminary findings. ..
- Lin C, Wen M, Hung Y, Pei D, Kuo S, Hsieh C. The impact of 5,10-methenyltetrahydrofolate synthetase polymorphism on diabetic nephropathy in the Taiwanese population. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2012;16:142-5 pubmed publisher..Multivariate logistic regression analysis demonstrated that being male, the duration of diabetes, plasma triglyceride level, and glycemic control were factors that predicted the development of DN. ..
- Lin C, Selch M, Lee S, Wu J, Xiao F, Hong D, et al. Accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery for brainstem metastases. Neurosurgery. 2012;70:953-8; discussion 958 pubmed publisher..Stereotactic radiosurgery represents a noninvasive alternative treatment for intracranial metastases...
- Hwang C, Yu C, Shih J, Yang P, Wu Y. Effects of exercise training on exercise capacity in patients with non-small cell lung cancer receiving targeted therapy. Support Care Cancer. 2012;20:3169-77 pubmed publisher..05) than baseline. Patients with NSCLC receiving targeted therapy have quite a low exercise capacity, even with a relatively high QoL. Exercise training appears to improve exercise capacity and alleviate some cancer-related symptoms. ..
- Lee H, Hsieh J, Lu C, Yeh T, Tu C, Cheng C, et al. Enhanced affect/cognition-related brain responses during visceral placebo analgesia in irritable bowel syndrome patients. Pain. 2012;153:1301-10 pubmed publisher..The visceral placebo analgesia produced heightened activity in affective/cognitive brain regions in IBS patients. ..
- Yang Y, Yang Y, Cheng C, Ho P, Ko Y. The role of chemoprevention by selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in colorectal cancer patients - a population-based study. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:582 pubmed publisher..Given the limited number of clinical reports from general populations, our results add to the knowledge of chemopreventive effects of selective COX-2 inhibitors against cancer in individuals at no increased risk of colorectal cancer. ..
- Chang P, Chen Y, Chang F, Lu J, Huang W, Yang T, et al. Aspirin protects human coronary artery endothelial cells against atherogenic electronegative LDL via an epigenetic mechanism: a novel cytoprotective role of aspirin in acute myocardial infarction. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;99:137-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, L5 impairs HCAEC function through CpG methylation of the FGF2 promoter, which is suppressed in the presence of low-concentration aspirin. Our results provide evidence of a novel mechanism of aspirin in the prevention of MI. ..
- Sung S, Cheng H, Wang K, Yu W, Chuang S, Ting C, et al. White coat hypertension is more risky than prehypertension: important role of arterial wave reflections. Hypertension. 2013;61:1346-53 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the white coat effect is mainly caused by arterial aging. WCH carries higher risk for cardiovascular mortality than PH, probably via enhanced wave reflections that accompany arterial aging. ..
- Chen C, Chang W, Lin M, Hsu J, Chao T, Tsao T. Phase II study of paclitaxel (Genaxol) and cisplatin combination in treating Chinese patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Lung Cancer. 2002;38:91-6 pubmed..The aim of the present study is to evaluate the efficacy, safety, and quality of life of the combination of paclitaxel (Genaxol) and cisplatin on Chinese patients...
- Liang J, Huang K, Cheng A, Jeng Y, Wu M, Wang S. Clinicopathological and molecular biological features of colorectal cancer in patients less than 40 years of age. Br J Surg. 2003;90:205-14 pubmed..The mechanisms underlying the inconsistency between the presence of MSI-H and a family history of cancer in these early-onset colorectal cancers deserve further investigation. ..
- Tzen C, Mau B, Wu T. ND4 mutation in transitional cell carcinoma: Does mitochondrial mutation occur before tumorigenesis?. Mitochondrion. 2007;7:273-8 pubmed..The result suggests that mtDNA mutation occurs before tumorigenesis and become apparent in cancer cells. ..
- Chua C, Yang K, Chen J, Liu Y, Hsu Y, Lee H, et al. The efficacy of blueberry and grape seed extract combination on triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a randomised controlled trial. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2016;67:177-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study indicated that no significant difference existed between the BGE extract group and placebo group in eradication rate under triple therapy. ..
- Chu C, Yeh C, Lee C, Sheen I, Liaw Y. Precore stop mutant in HBeAg-positive patients with chronic hepatitis B: clinical characteristics and correlation with the course of HBeAg-to-anti-HBe seroconversion. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:16-21 pubmed..Precore mutant ratios tended to correlate with ALT levels and anti-HBe seroconversion, but high precore mutant ratios were associated with persistent hepatitis after anti-HBe seroconversion and increased risk of cirrhosis. ..
- Chen H, Wang C, Chen C, Yang H, Kuo Y, Lan W, et al. Auto-fluorescence spectra of oral submucous fibrosis. J Oral Pathol Med. 2003;32:337-43 pubmed..05). Because OSF mucosa has a very unique pattern of auto-fluorescence spectrum, we conclude that auto-fluorescence spectroscopy is a good method for real-time diagnosis of OSF. ..
- Lee C, Yu H. Elevated serum antimelanocyte antibody level in cerebriform intradermal nevus with vitiligo. J Dermatol. 2004;31:540-5 pubmed..This antibody's presence may be related to the occurrence of the vitiligo in patient with cerebriform intradermal nevus. ..
- Yu Y, Tsai S, Hong C, Chen T, Chen M, Yang C. Association study of a monoamine oxidase a gene promoter polymorphism with major depressive disorder and antidepressant response. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:1719-23 pubmed
- Ulusal B, Lin Y, Ulusal A, Lin C, Yen J. Reconstruction of foot defects with free lateral arm fasciocutaneous flaps: analysis of fifty patients. Microsurgery. 2005;25:581-8 pubmed..Free lateral arm flaps provided excellent durability, with solid bony union and successful restoration of the contour of the foot in moderate-sized foot defects. ..
- Tseng C. Prevalence of lower-extremity amputation among patients with diabetes mellitus: is height a factor?. CMAJ. 2006;174:319-23 pubmed..79, 95% CI 1.14-2.82). Height is an independent predictor of lower-extremity amputation among patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Jin J, Hsieh D, Lin Y, Wang J, Sheu L, Lee W. Increasing expression of extracellular matrix metalloprotease inducer in renal cell carcinoma: tissue microarray analysis of immunostaining score with clinicopathological parameters. Int J Urol. 2006;13:573-80 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate for the first time that EMMPRIN is over-expressed in renal cell carcinomas. Increased expression of EMMPRIN in tumor cells is associated with poor prognosis of patients with CRCC. ..
- Chou Y, Lin J, Wang C, Chiu Y, Huang C, Chuah S, et al. The abnormalities in the p53/p21WAF1 pathway have a significant role in the pathogenesis and progression of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Oncol Rep. 2008;19:49-56 pubmed..Abnormalities of the p53/p21WAF1 pathway lead to increased proliferating states, thereby triggering the progression of GISTs. ..
- Chung F, Lin S, Lin S, Lin H. Impact of extravascular lung water index on outcomes of severe sepsis patients in a medical intensive care unit. Respir Med. 2008;102:956-61 pubmed publisher..001. This investigation suggested that EVLI was an independent predictor for in-hospital survival in medical ICU patients with severe sepsis. Measurement of EVLI may be used for risk stratification among those patients. ..
- Chuah S, Hu T, Wu K, Tai W, Chen T, Chiu Y, et al. Sonographic findings in esophageal achalasia. Chang Gung Med J. 2009;32:204-11 pubmed..It cannot reveal each layer of the wall of the lumen as endoscopic ultrasound does, but it may tentatively differentiate achalasia from malignancies and assists clinicians when endoscopic ultrasound is not available. ..
- Lin M, Chang Y, Huang P, Lee Y. Thymectomy for non-thymomatous myasthenia gravis: a comparison of surgical methods and analysis of prognostic factors. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2010;37:7-12 pubmed publisher..NTMG patients aged <40 years with hyperthyroidism and a histologic diagnosis of lymphofollicular hyperplasia have better chances of remission after thymectomy. ..
- Pu Y, Huang C, Kuo Y, Kang W, Liu G, Huang A, et al. Characterization of membranous and cytoplasmic EGFR expression in human normal renal cortex and renal cell carcinoma. J Biomed Sci. 2009;16:82 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest different locations of EGFR expression may be associated with human renal tumorigenesis. ..
- Yang J, Huang Y, Lin Y, Su C, Kuo C, Hsu L, et al. Early findings of oseltamivir-resistant pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza A viruses in Taiwan. Antiviral Res. 2010;88:256-62 pubmed publisher..Enzymatic analysis of the viruses revealed that the ratio of NA/HA activities in oseltamivir-resistant viruses was reduced considerably compared to those in wild-type ones. ..
- Shih H, Huang M, Lee C. Polymorphonuclear cell priming associated with NF-kB activation in patients with severe injury is partially dependent on macrophage migration inhibitory factor. J Am Coll Surg. 2010;211:791-7 pubmed publisher..MIF is one of the important factors responsible for early PMN activation and may provide a target of immunomodulation after injury. ..
- Chen Y, Hung S, Tarng D. Serum bilirubin links UGT1A1*28 polymorphism and predicts long-term cardiovascular events and mortality in chronic hemodialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6:567-74 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the UGT1A1*28 polymorphism had strong effects on bilirubin levels and the 7/7 genotype might have an important effect on reducing CVEs and death. ..
- Lee C, Lee K, Fang F, Wu D, Tsai S, Chen P, et al. The neoplastic impact of tobacco-free betel-quid on the histological type and the anatomical site of aerodigestive tract cancers. Int J Cancer. 2012;131:E733-43 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the interplay of TF-BQ and alcohol/tobacco use, combined with how chewing habit is practiced, influences carcinogenic consequences on anatomically diverse sites of UADT and GIT cancers, and histologically different types. ..
- Cheng S, Lee J, Cheng S, Chen H, Chang H, Wang Y, et al. Increased serum placenta growth factor level is significantly associated with progression, recurrence and poor prognosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2012;48:424-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the serum PlGF level may be a valuable biomarker for prediction of therapeutic effect, progression, recurrence and prognosis of OSCC. ..
- Lee Y, Hu H, Huang N, Hwang D, Chou P, Chu D. Dental prophylaxis and periodontal treatment are protective factors to ischemic stroke. Stroke. 2013;44:1026-30 pubmed publisher..17; 95% confidence interval=1.64-2.87) after stratifying for age. Maintaining periodontal health by receiving dental prophylaxis and PD treatment can help reduce the incidence of ischemic stroke. ..
- Huang A, Chen M, Huang S, Kao C, Lai H, Chan J. CD164 regulates the tumorigenesis of ovarian surface epithelial cells through the SDF-1?/CXCR4 axis. Mol Cancer. 2013;12:115 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting CD164 may serve as a potential ovarian cancer biomarker, and targeting CD164 may serve as a therapeutic modality in the management of high-grade ovarian tumors. ..
- Liao C, Chou Y, Yeh C, Hu C, Chiu W, Chen T. Stroke risk and outcomes in patients with traumatic brain injury: 2 nationwide studies. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89:163-72 pubmed publisher..The relationship between TBI and poststroke mortality does not seem to transcend all age groups. This research shows the importance of prevention, early recognition, and treatment of stroke in this vulnerable population. ..
- Chen S, Liu C, Hu Y, Yeh C, Hu L, Wang Y, et al. Second primary malignancy risk among patients with gastric cancer: a nationwide population-based study in Taiwan. Gastric Cancer. 2016;19:490-497 pubmed publisher..87) were independent risk factors, but surgery (HR 0.67) was not. Patients with gastric cancer are at increased risk of developing SPM. Close surveillance of patients with risk factors over a longer period should be considered. ..
- Lin K, Chen C, Chen T, Kuo S, Kao C, Jeng Y, et al. Diabetes mellitus is associated with acquisition and increased mortality in HIV-uninfected patients with cryptococcosis: A population-based study. J Infect. 2016;72:608-14 pubmed publisher..018). Diabetes was associated with the occurrence of cryptococcosis and cryptococcal meningitis in HIV-uninfected patients. DM was also associated with 1-year and overall mortality for these patients. ..
- Lin S, Wang T, Lai C, Tsai R, Yang C, Wong C. Association of anterior cruciate ligament injury with knee osteoarthritis and total knee replacement: A retrospective cohort study from the Taiwan National Health Insurance Database. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178292 pubmed publisher..Moreover, based on the present study, ACL-injured patients should undergo reconstruction as early as possible (within one month) to lower the risk of OA. ..
- Sung M, Lin J, Chen W. Villous adenomas of the urinary tract: report of two cases. Chang Gung Med J. 2000;23:291-5 pubmed..5 were all positive. The carcinoembryonic antigen was strongly positive in the neoplastic glands, especially in the luminal border. We also review the previous literature and discuss the histogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment...
- Lee Y, Wen Wei Hsu R, Huang T, Hsueh S, Wang J. Metastatic meningioma in the sacrum: a case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:E100-3 pubmed..In this case of metastatic meningioma in the sacrum, which is the first such report to the authors' best knowledge, total excision of the tumor was successful. ..
- Chiu I, Wu S, Chen S, Wang J, Wu M, Lue H. Sequential diagnosis of coronary arterial anatomy in congenitally corrected transposition of the great arteries. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;75:422-9; discussion 429 pubmed..The central CA pattern near the aortic sinus depended on aortopulmonary rotation due to "marriage of convenience" between them, and thus was predictable from arterial relations irrespective of its disease category. ..
- Chen C, Chen A, Chang Y, Fu T, Lee M. Synovial chondromatosis of the hip: management with arthroscope-assisted synovectomy and removal of loose bodies: report of two cases. Chang Gung Med J. 2003;26:208-14 pubmed..Herein we report on 2 cases of synovial chondromatosis of the hip, which were managed with an arthroscope-assisted synovectomy and removal of the loose bodies. We believe this is an easy and safe method for management of this disorder...
- Chen H, Kuo H, Tsai S, Chen Y, Kao M. Acute retinal necrosis syndrome: clinical manifestations and visual outcomes. Chang Gung Med J. 2004;27:193-200 pubmed..Eyes with less than grade II necrosis extension are good candidates for prophylactic peripheral retinal photocoagulation. Early detection and prompt treatment with acyclovir seems to improve the final visual outcome. ..
- Lo C, Chen C, Lin C, Chin S, Juan C, Hsueh C. Parasellar solitary fibrous tumor of meninges: magnetic resonance imaging features with pathologic correlation. J Neuroimaging. 2004;14:281-4 pubmed..The preoperative MRI diagnosis was meningioma or hemangiopericytoma. Pathological study revealed an SFT that stained positive immunohistochemically for CD34 and vimentin. ..
- Kao H, Wu C, Chen C, Sun G, Lee S, Peng Y. Malignant tumor of testis imitating epididymo-orchitis. Arch Androl. 2005;51:407-11 pubmed..Unfortunately, the patient presented with metastatic lymphadenopathy of the neck from mixed germ cell tumor of the testis 2 months later. Close follow-up for patients with suspected epididymo-orchitis is very important...
- Yang Y, Chen C, Chang J, Lin C, Cheng T, Shieh T. Incidence rates of oral cancer and oral pre-cancerous lesions in a 6-year follow-up study of a Taiwanese aboriginal community. J Oral Pathol Med. 2005;34:596-601 pubmed..0, 374.1 and 146.2 per 100,000 person-years, respectively, for areca/betel quid chewers. As compared with the rates from India and the general Taiwanese population, the study community encountered a serious problem of oral lesions. ..
- Hsu P, Hsu H, Lee H, Hsieh C, Wu Y, Wang L, et al. Management of primary chest wall tumors: 14 years' clinical experience. J Chin Med Assoc. 2006;69:377-82 pubmed..For patients with isolated chest wall lymphoma, surgical resection followed by chemotherapy can be considered to obtain a better outcome. ..
- Huang N, Shih S, Chang H, Chou Y. Record linkage research and informed consent: who consents?. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:18 pubmed..Researchers should take this source of bias into consideration in their study design and investigate any potential impact of this source of bias on their results. ..
- Lee Y, Lin J, Wang N, Peng M, Chang F. Necrotizing fasciitis in a medical center in northern Taiwan: emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the community. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2007;40:335-41 pubmed..The prognosis of NF caused by CA-MRSA was good after adequate surgical and antimicrobial treatment. ..
- Chang Y, Chang M, Wei S, Tien Y, Hsu C, Liang P, et al. Serum vascular endothelial growth factor/soluble vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 1 ratio is an independent prognostic marker in pancreatic cancer. Pancreas. 2008;37:145-50 pubmed publisher..Vascular endothelial growth factor/sVEGF-1 ratio is an independent prognostic factor for survival in pancreatic cancer. Its significance should be assessed when considering antiangiogenic therapy in treating pancreatic cancer patients. ..
- Wu Y, Juo S, Ho Y, Ho K, Yang Y, Tsai C. Association between lactoferrin gene polymorphisms and aggressive periodontitis among Taiwanese patients. J Periodontal Res. 2009;44:418-24 pubmed publisher..The functionality of this gene's polymorphisms has to be further elucidated. ..
- Huang J, Dai C, Yu M, Shin S, Hsieh M, Huang C, et al. Serum retinol-binding protein 4 is inversely correlated with disease severity of chronic hepatitis C. J Hepatol. 2009;50:471-8 pubmed publisher..77, P=0.001), HDL-C (-0.40, 95% CI -0.73 ~ -0.06, P=0.02), and LDL-C (0.31, 95% CI 0.02 ~ 0.61, P=0.04) were the significant variables for prediction of RBP4. Disease severity may limit the role of RBP4 as a predictor of IR in CHC. ..
- Hung T, Chang S, Yu W, Wang Y, Huang C, Lu S, et al. A novel nonsynonymous variant of matrix metalloproteinase-7 confers risk of liver cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2009;50:1184-93 pubmed publisher..We have identified a novel genetic association of MMP-7(Asp-137) variant with liver cirrhosis in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Whether the MMP-7 variant can be a new marker for liver cirrhosis will be further studied. ..
- Lu L, Yang S, Wang C, Hung W, Yu T, Chiu C, et al. Elevated visfatin/pre-B-cell colony-enhancing factor plasma concentration in ischemic stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;18:354-9 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that higher visfatin levels are associated with ischemic stroke in the Chinese population. ..
- Yang N, Lee M, Chao C, Chuang Y, Lin W, Chang M, et al. Clinical presentations and skin denervation in amyloid neuropathy due to transthyretin Ala97Ser. Neurology. 2010;75:532-8 pubmed publisher..This study investigated skin innervation and its clinical significance in genetically defined FAP due to a hot-spot Ala97Ser TTR mutation (Ala97Ser)...
- Lu C, Chen J, Wu C, Liaw W, Yeh C, Cherng C, et al. Effect of epidural neuraxial blockade-dependent sedation on the Ramsay Sedation Scale and the composite auditory evoked potentials index in surgical intensive care patients. J Formos Med Assoc. 2010;109:589-95 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that the AAI could provide an objective and more precise index than the RSS in evaluation of sedation level in patients who are undergoing epidural pain management in the intensive care unit. ..
- Wu N, Cheng H, Ko J, Cheng Y, Lin P, Lin W, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging for lung cancer detection: experience in a population of more than 10,000 healthy individuals. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:242 pubmed publisher..The mean size of detected lung cancers was 1.98 cm (median, 1.5 cm; range, 0.5-8.2 cm). The most histological types were adenocarcinoma in 38 (77.6%). Rapid zero-dose MRI can be used for lung cancer detection in a healthy population. ..
- Chiang M, Kuo S, Chen S, Yang S, Lee Y, Chen T, et al. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of bacteremia due to different genomic species of Acinetobacter baumannii complex in patients with solid tumors. Infection. 2012;40:19-26 pubmed publisher..348-15.859, p = 0.015) were independent factors associated with 14-day mortality. Infection with A. baumannii and a high APACHE II score (?21) might be associated with poor outcome in patients with solid tumors and ABC bacteremia. ..
- Chen C, Chang J, Lai K, Hou S, Chang C, Wang G. Alendronate in the prevention of collapse of the femoral head in nontraumatic osteonecrosis: a two-year multicenter, prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Arthritis Rheum. 2012;64:1572-8 pubmed publisher..Alendronate has no obvious effect on preventing the necessity for THA, reducing disease progression, or improving life quality. ..
- Hsu W, Pan W, Chien Y, Yu K, Cheng Y, Chen J, et al. Lowered risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma and intake of plant vitamin, fresh fish, green tea and coffee: a case-control study in Taiwan. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e41779 pubmed publisher..62; 95% CI, 0.41-0.94 for the highest vs. lowest tertile). The study findings suggest that certain adult dietary patterns might protect against the development of NPC. ..
- Chu P, Hu F, Yu C, Tsai L, Yu C, Wu B, et al. Epithelial-mesenchymal transition transcription factor ZEB1/ZEB2 co-expression predicts poor prognosis and maintains tumor-initiating properties in head and neck cancer. Oral Oncol. 2013;49:34-41 pubmed publisher..Patients with tumors that co-expressed ZEB1(high) and ZEB2(high) had especially poor survival rates. Therapies targeting ZEB1/ZEB2 in HNC-CD133(+) cells may provide a new approach for HNC therapy in the future. ..
- Chen Y, Wu Y, Yang W, Wang S, Lee C, Chou N, et al. Relationship between bone mineral density and serum osteoprotegerin in patients with chronic heart failure. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44242 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated an inverse association between serum OPG and trochanteric BMD in patients with HF. OPG may be a predictor of BMD and an alternative to DEXA for identifying at risk HF patients for osteoporosis. ..
- Yu W, Chen K, Chou Y, Hsueh I, Hsieh C. Responsiveness and predictive validity of the hierarchical balance short forms in people with stroke. Phys Ther. 2013;93:798-808 pubmed publisher..The HBSF has sufficient responsiveness and predictive validity in people receiving inpatient rehabilitation after stroke and is thus recommended for both clinicians and researchers. ..
- Lee C, Chien C, Liu J. Timing of initiating glycopeptide therapy for methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: the impact on clinical outcome. ScientificWorldJournal. 2013;2013:457435 pubmed publisher..The mortality rate did not decrease following administrating GP immediately after a preliminary BC indicating SLO growth. An additional research for the optimal timing for initiating GP treatment is warranted...
- Chan H, Wang E, Sun M, Hsu P, Tsai W, Tsai T, et al. Linear echoendoscope-guided ERCP for the diagnosis of occult common bile duct stones. BMC Gastroenterol. 2013;13:44 pubmed publisher..9, 0.8 and 1, respectively. Linear EUS is safe and efficacious for the diagnosis of occult CBD stones in patients with intermediate risk for the disease. ..
- Wu M, Deng J, Lin K, Tsai W. Lead, mercury, and arsenic poisoning due to topical use of traditional Chinese medicines. Am J Med. 2013;126:451-4 pubmed publisher..Metal poisonings through a mucocutaneous route are reported rarely in the literature...
- Wu C, Chang K, Tseng P, Lu S, Chen C, Wang J, et al. Comparison of Therapeutic Response and Clinical Outcome between HCV Patients with Normal and Abnormal Alanine Transaminase Levels. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0142378 pubmed publisher..In Taiwan, these patients were not suggested for interferon (IFN) based therapies. The aim of study is to compare therapeutic outcomes between HCV patients with normal and elevated ALT levels...
- Wu S, Hsu L, Teng M, Lin J, Chang H, Sun Y, et al. Association of SELE genotypes/haplotypes with sE-selectin levels in Taiwanese individuals: interactive effect of MMP9 level. BMC Med Genet. 2012;13:115 pubmed publisher..0511). SELE genotypes/haplotypes are independently associated with MMP9 and E-selectin levels in Taiwanese individuals. The associations of SELE genotypes/haplotypes with sE-selectin levels are affected by MMP9 levels. ..
- Kuo I, Jen J, Hsu L, Hsu H, Lai W, Wang Y. A prognostic predictor panel with DNA methylation biomarkers for early-stage lung adenocarcinoma in Asian and Caucasian populations. J Biomed Sci. 2016;23:58 pubmed publisher..03; p?=?0.039). We established a proof-of-concept prognostic panel consisting of eight-probe signature to predict survival of early-stage LUAD patients of Asian and Caucasian populations. ..
- Cheng M, Chiou C, Liu Y, Wang H, Hsieh K. Cryptococcus laurentii fungemia in a premature neonate. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:1608-11 pubmed..A high degree of suspicion and improvements in the techniques for culture and identification will contribute to the earlier diagnosis and treatment of unusual fungal infections. ..
- Wu K, Liao T, Chen Y, Lai M, Chen S, Su C, et al. Preoperative diagnosis and localization of aldosterone-producing adenoma by adrenal venous sampling after administration of metoclopramide. J Formos Med Assoc. 2001;100:598-603 pubmed..Administration of MCP to stimulate aldosterone secretion during adrenal venous sampling can improve the accuracy of differential diagnosis between APA and IHA. ..
- Chiang P, Chuang Y, Huang C, Chiang C. Pilot study of transperineal injection of dehydrated ethanol in the treatment of prostatic obstruction. Urology. 2003;61:797-801 pubmed..It is considered an alternative treatment for prostatic obstruction due to benign hyperplasia or carcinoma, especially when there is a high operative risk. ..
- Hwang Y, Huang T, Hwang S, Kwan A, Howng S. Differentiation among metastatic brain tumors, radiation necroses, and brain abscesses using proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2004;20:437-42 pubmed..Although more cases and studies are necessary, metabolic information provided by proton MRS combined with MRI is useful for differentiating among metastatic brain tumors, radiation necroses, and brain abscesses. ..
- Yu C, Shih J, Lee Y, Shun C, Yuan A, Yang P. Sialyl Lewis antigens: association with MUC5AC protein and correlation with post-operative recurrence of non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2005;47:59-67 pubmed..998-15.386, P = 0.001) were independent factors affecting survival. We concluded that the expression of sLe(x) was related to MUC5AC protein, while patients with tumors co-expressing both MUC5AC and sLe(x) antigen had the worst survival. ..
- Li S, Yang Y, Chen K, Cheng H, Chiou C, Wang T, et al. Molecular epidemiology of long-term colonization of Candida albicans strains from HIV-infected patients. Epidemiol Infect. 2006;134:265-9 pubmed..albicans strains in HIV-infected patients. Clinical data also suggests that the primary infecting strain may become a persistent colonist in the oral cavity once the immune function of the patient has been restored. ..
- Chen W, Yang C, Liao C, Hung C, Tsai S, Chen K, et al. Expression of sex-determining genes in human sebaceous glands and their possible role in the pathogenesis of acne. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2006;20:846-52 pubmed..Factors regulating cutaneous steroidogenesis associated with disease status remain largely unknown...
- Luo C, Teng M, Chang F, Chang C. Transarterial embolization of acute external carotid blowout syndrome with profuse oronasal bleeding by N-butyl-cyanoacrylate. Am J Emerg Med. 2006;24:702-8 pubmed..Assess duration, efficacy, and safety of emergent transarterial embolization of acute external carotid blowout syndrome (ECBS) with N-butyl-cyanoacrylate...
- Lin C, Huang J, Yang K, Hsu K, Chen J, Chen L. Reliability of anatomical landmarks for skin perforators of the thoracodorsal artery perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118:1376-86; discussion 1387 pubmed..Using a color Doppler device to identify the skin perforators preoperatively is highly suggested to prevent unexpected anatomical variations. ..
- Huang C, Chen C, Wang C, Chang Y, Liu H. Using desmoglein 1 and 3 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay as an adjunct diagnostic tool for pemphigus. J Chin Med Assoc. 2007;70:65-70 pubmed..Dsg1 and Dsg3 ELISAs provide a simple, highly sensitive and specific method that can serve as a useful adjunct tool for the initial diagnosis of pemphigus. ..
- Wu C, Wu M, Chiang E, Chen Y, Chen C, Chi N, et al. Plasma matrix metalloproteinase-9 level is better than serum matrix metalloproteinase-9 level to predict gastric cancer evolution. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:2054-60 pubmed..Serum MMP-9 level did not correlate well with gastric cancer-invasive phenotypes or survival. Our results suggest plasma MMP-9 level is a better marker than serum MMP-9 level for predicting gastric cancer development and progression. ..
- Tsai S, Hong C, Liou Y, Yu Y, Chen T, Hou S, et al. Tryptophan hydroxylase 2 gene is associated with major depression and antidepressant treatment response. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009;33:637-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that TPH2 genetic variants may play a role in MDD susceptibility and in acute therapeutic response to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. ..
- Huang Y, Liao Y, Chen W, Chen C, Hu J, Liu C, et al. Vitamin D receptor gene polymorphisms and distinct clinical phenotypes of hepatitis B carriers in Taiwan. Genes Immun. 2010;11:87-93 pubmed publisher..VDR gene polymorphisms are associated with distinct clinical phenotypes in Taiwanese HBV carriers but not with HCC development. ..