Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Greece
Topic: middle aged
Publications419 found, 100 shown here
- Dragoumanis C, Vretzakis G, Papaioannou V, Didilis V, Vogiatzaki T, Pneumatikos I. Investigating the failure to aspirate subglottic secretions with the Evac endotracheal tube. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:1083-5, table of contents pubmed..Evacuation of subglottic secretions using the Evac ETT is often ineffective due to prolapse of tracheal mucosa into the subglottic suction port. ..
- Theodoropoulou A, Psyrogiannis A, Metallinos I, Habeos I, Vgenakis A, Kyriazopoulou V. Ghrelin response to oral glucose load in hyperthyroidism, before and after treatment with antithyroid drugs. J Endocrinol Invest. 2009;32:94-7 pubmed..T3 and T4 levels do not influence ghrelin levels. There is no evidence that ghrelin is responsible for the increase appetite seen in hyperthyroidism. ..
- Filippidis A, Kapsalaki E, Patramani G, Fountas K. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis: review of the demographics, pathophysiology, current diagnosis, and treatment. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;27:E3 pubmed publisher..The recent advances in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with CVST have significantly lowered the associated mortality and morbidity and have improved the outcome of these patients. ..
- Xiromeritis A, Hatziefthimiou A, Hadjigeorgiou G, Gourgoulianis K, Anagnostopoulou D, Angelopoulos N. Quantitative spectral analysis of vigilance EEG in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: EEG mapping in OSAS patients. Sleep Breath. 2011;15:121-8 pubmed publisher..CPAP treatment improved daytime sleepiness of OSA patients in contrast to the alterations in alpha (decreased) and delta (increased) relative power suggesting a possible persistent brain dysfunction. ..
- Dimitrakopoulos F, Antonacopoulou A, Kottorou A, Vlotinou H, Panagopoulos N, Dougenis D, et al. NSCLC and the alternative pathway of NF-?B: uncovering an unknown relation. Virchows Arch. 2012;460:515-23 pubmed publisher..Moreover, lymph node metastasis was related to nuclear NF-?B2 expression in tumor cells. The deregulation of the alternative NF-?B pathway in NSCLC could play a role in the development and progression of the disease. ..
- Riga M, Kefalidis G, Danielides V. The role of diabetes mellitus in the clinical presentation and prognosis of Bell palsy. J Am Board Fam Med. 2012;25:819-26 pubmed publisher..However, the relationship between the frequency, severity, and recovery course of Bell palsy in patients with these pathologies is a matter of controversy...
- Tsivgoulis G, Judd S, Letter A, Alexandrov A, Howard G, Nahab F, et al. Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and risk of incident cognitive impairment. Neurology. 2013;80:1684-92 pubmed publisher..27; 95% CI 0.95-1.71; p = 0.1063). Higher adherence to MeD was associated with a lower likelihood of ICI independent of potential confounders. This association was moderated by presence of diabetes mellitus. ..
- Tzouvelekis A, Zacharis G, Oikonomou A, Mikroulis D, Margaritopoulos G, Koutsopoulos A, et al. Increased incidence of autoimmune markers in patients with combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema. BMC Pulm Med. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to investigate the incidence of autoimmune markers in patients with CPFE...
- Karavias D, Maroulis I, Papadaki H, Gogos C, Kakkos S, Karavias D, et al. Overexpression of CDT1 Is a Predictor of Poor Survival in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;20:568-79 pubmed publisher..049). Overexpression of CDT1 and MCM7 in hepatocellular carcinoma correlates with DNA damage response, and CDT1 overexpression is a significant prognostic biomarker in hepatocellular carcinoma. ..
- Poulakaki N, Makris G, Battista M, BÃ¶hm D, Petraki K, Bafaloukos D, et al. Hormonal receptor status, Ki-67 and HER2 expression: Prognostic value in the recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast?. Breast. 2016;25:57-61 pubmed publisher..Future studies with additional molecular markers seem necessary to further improve the identification of high-risk patients for DCIS recurrence. ..
- Chrysohoou C, Metallinos G, Georgiopoulos G, Mendrinos D, Papanikolaou A, Magkas N, et al. Short term omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation induces favorable changes in right ventricle function and diastolic filling pressure in patients with chronic heart failure; A randomized clinical trial. Vascul Pharmacol. 2016;79:43-50 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a beneficial role of omega 3-PUFAs on the hemodynamic course of patients with systolic heart failure. ..
- Karamouzis M, Sotiropoulou Bonikou G, Vandoros G, Varakis I, Papavassiliou A. Differential expression of retinoic acid receptor beta (RARbeta) and the AP-1 transcription factor in normal, premalignant and malignant human laryngeal tissues. Eur J Cancer. 2004;40:761-73 pubmed
- Tzortzaki E, Dimakou K, Neofytou E, Tsikritsaki K, Samara K, Avgousti M, et al. Oxidative DNA damage and somatic mutations: a link to the molecular pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory airway diseases. Chest. 2012;141:1243-1250 pubmed publisher..This may reflect a difference in the oxidative stress per se or a deficient antioxidant and/or repair capacity in the lungs of patients with COPD. ..
- Iosifidis M, Iliopoulos E, Panagiotou A, Apostolidis K, Traios S, Giantsis G. Walking ability before and after a hip fracture in elderly predict greater long-term survivorship. J Orthop Sci. 2016;21:48-52 pubmed publisher..Ambulation status before injury is a significant long-term predictor factor for survivorship. ..
- Chiladakis J, Stathopoulos C, Davlouros P, Manolis A. Intravenous magnesium sulfate versus diltiazem in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Int J Cardiol. 2001;79:287-91 pubmed
- Vageli D, Daniil Z, Dahabreh J, Karagianni E, Liloglou T, Koukoulis G, et al. Microsatellite instability and loss of heterozygosity at the MEN1 locus in lung carcinoid tumors: a novel approach using real-time PCR with melting curve analysis in histopathologic material. Oncol Rep. 2006;15:557-64 pubmed
- Anagnostou E, Mandellos D, Limbitaki G, Papadimitriou A, Anastasopoulos D. Positional nystagmus and vertigo due to a solitary brachium conjunctivum plaque. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:790-2 pubmed..Insufficient otolithic information results in erroneous adjustment of the Listing's plane in off-vertical head positions, thus producing nystagmic eye movements. ..
- Kouskos E, Chatziantoniou J, Chrissafis I, Anitsakis C, Zamtrakis S. Uncommon locations of hydatid cysts. Singapore Med J. 2007;48:e119-21 pubmed
- Koletsis E, Kalogeropoulou C, Prodromaki E, Kagadis G, Katsanos K, Spiropoulos K, et al. Tumoral and non-tumoral trachea stenoses: evaluation with three-dimensional CT and virtual bronchoscopy. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;2:18 pubmed..They may play a role in assessment of airway patency distal to high-grade stenoses, and represent a reliable alternative method for patients not amenable to conventional bronchoscopy. ..
- Xenellis J, Nikolopoulos T, Marangoudakis P, Vlastarakos P, Tsangaroulakis A, Ferekidis E. Cochlear implantation in atelectasis and chronic otitis media: long-term follow-up. Otol Neurotol. 2008;29:499-501 pubmed publisher..However, a 2-stage procedure may not always be necessary and might best be confined to those patients who have active inflammatory disease at the primary procedure. ..
- Kiekkas P, Sakellaropoulos G, Brokalaki H, Manolis E, Samios A, Skartsani C, et al. Association between nursing workload and mortality of intensive care unit patients. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2008;40:385-90 pubmed publisher..Proper nurse staffing levels should be based on the estimation of total patient acuity, rather than on the absolute number of patients. ..
- Plachouras D, Karvanen M, Friberg L, Papadomichelakis E, Antoniadou A, Tsangaris I, et al. Population pharmacokinetic analysis of colistin methanesulfonate and colistin after intravenous administration in critically ill patients with infections caused by gram-negative bacteria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3430-6 pubmed publisher..The implications of these findings are that the plasma colistin concentrations are insufficient before steady state and raise the question of whether the administration of a loading dose would benefit critically ill patients. ..
- Bilanakis N, Kalampokis G, Christou K, Peritogiannis V. Use of coercive physical measures in a psychiatric ward of a general hospital in Greece. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2010;56:402-11 pubmed publisher..Strategies that will enhance patients' follow-up are expected to prevent involuntary admissions and reduce the use of coercive measures. ..
- Antoniou G, Koutsias S, Karathanos C, Sfyroeras G, Vretzakis G, Giannoukas A. Endovascular stent-graft repair of major abdominal arteriovenous fistula: a systematic review. J Endovasc Ther. 2009;16:514-23 pubmed publisher..However, no long-term data exist, and larger series are required to draw solid conclusions regarding the outcomes of this method. ..
- Michalaki M, Margeli T, Tsekouras A, Gogos C, Vagenakis A, Kyriazopoulou V. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis response to the severity of illness in non-critically ill patients: does relative corticosteroid insufficiency exist?. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;162:341-7 pubmed publisher..All patients had a good outcome without glucocorticoid treatment. Depending on the severity of illness, mild alterations in the HPA axis occurred. However, relative corticosteroid insufficiency was not confirmed in NCIN patients. ..
- Themeli M, Petrikkos L, Waterhouse M, Bertz H, Lagadinou E, Zoumbos N, et al. Alloreactive microenvironment after human hematopoietic cell transplantation induces genomic alterations in epithelium through an ROS-mediated mechanism: in vivo and in vitro study and implications to secondary neoplasia. Leukemia. 2010;24:536-43 pubmed publisher..Progress in understanding DNA damage and repair after allo-HCT can potentially provide molecular biomarkers and therapeutic targets. ..
- Staikos C, Ververidis A, Drosos G, Manolopoulos V, Verettas D, Tavridou A. The association of adipokine levels in plasma and synovial fluid with the severity of knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:1077-83 pubmed publisher..We sought to determine the association between plasma and SF levels of leptin and adiponectin in patients with knee OA...
- Malizos K, Sarma J, Seaton R, Militz M, Menichetti F, Riccio G, et al. Daptomycin for the treatment of osteomyelitis and orthopaedic device infections: real-world clinical experience from a European registry. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:111-8 pubmed publisher..Daptomycin was discontinued by 5.5 % of patients due to AEs and 10 (1.6 %) deaths were reported. In conclusion, daptomycin was effective and safe in patients with osteomyelitis or orthopaedic device infections. ..
- Drivalos A, Chrisofos M, Efstathiou E, Kapranou A, Kollaitis G, Koutlis G, et al. Expression of Î±5-integrin, Î±7-integrin, Î•-cadherin, and N-cadherin in localized prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:165.e11-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that these have potential values in the diagnosis and are predictable indices in the proliferation of PCa. ..
- Georgitsi M, Vitoros V, Panou C, Tsangaris I, Aimoniotou E, Gatselis N, et al. Individualized significance of the -251 A/T single nucleotide polymorphism of interleukin-8 in severe infections. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:563-70 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that carriage of rs4073 modifies susceptibility for severe infection in an individualized way. This is associated with a modulation of circulating IL-8. ..
- Nakos G, Evrenoglou D, Vassilakis N, Lampropoulos S. Haemodynamics and gas exchange in liver cirrhosis: the effect of orally administered almitrine bismesylate. Respir Med. 1993;87:93-8 pubmed..The data suggest a weak HPV response in this group of cirrhotics; that response may be enhanced by almitrine. ..
- Hatzakis K, Froudarakis M, Bouros D, Tzanakis N, Karkavitsas N, Siafakas N. Prognostic value of serum tumor markers in patients with lung cancer. Respiration. 2002;69:25-9 pubmed..Also, CYFRA 21-1 with TPA and CA 125 may provide useful information regarding the staging of the disease at diagnosis and the prognosis of patients with NSCLC. ..
- Scopa C, Tsamandas A, Zolota V, Kalofonos H, Batistatou A, Vagianos C. Potential role of bcl-2 and ki-67 expression and apoptosis in colorectal carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study. Dig Dis Sci. 2003;48:1990-7 pubmed..Regulation of apoptosis is a complex phenomenon and other factors, including tumor heterogeneity, may be involved. ..
- Karatzanis A, Chimona T, Prokopakis E, Kyrmizakis D, Velegrakis G. Cochlear implantation after radical mastoidectomy: management of a challenging case. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2003;65:375-8 pubmed..The surgical approach to a patient with a history of bilateral radical mastoidectomy is addressed in detail. The benefits of cochlear implantation in this case are also discussed. ..
- Spengos K, Panas M, Tsivgoulis G, Vemmos K, Sfagos K, Vassilopoulos D. Crescendo transient ischemic attacks due to middle cerebral artery stenosis. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004;17:266-8 pubmed
- Kalafatis P, Zougkas K, Petas A. Primary ureteroscopic treatment for obstructive ureteral stone-causing fornix rupture. Int J Urol. 2004;11:1058-64 pubmed..Ureteroscopic lithotripsy followed by double-J stenting of the ureter may offer a quick and safe therapeutic alternative for distal and middle obstructive ureteral stones with FR. ..
- Markopoulos C, Kouskos E, Revenas K, Mantas D, Antonopoulou Z, Kontzoglou K, et al. Open surgical biopsy for nonpalpable breast lesions detected on screening mammography. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2005;26:311-4 pubmed..Frozen section is feasible and accurate in the majority of these lesions, and therefore, diagnostic and therapeutic one-step surgical procedures could be performed. ..
- Panutsopulos D, Arvanitis D, Tsatsanis C, Papalambros E, Sigala F, Spandidos D. Expression of heregulin in human coronary atherosclerotic lesions. J Vasc Res. 2005;42:463-74 pubmed..HRG may, therefore, play an important role in the development of coronary artery disease and the expansion of the atherosclerotic plaque and may locally regulate the expression of the angiogenetic factor CYR61. ..
- Malizos K, Karantanas A, Varitimidis S, Dailiana Z, Bargiotas K, Maris T. Osteonecrosis of the femoral head: etiology, imaging and treatment. Eur J Radiol. 2007;63:16-28 pubmed..Replacement of the hip joint is the last resort for pain relief and function, although non-desirable because of the young age of the affected population...
- Fourtounas C, Hardalias A, Dousdampanis P, Papachristopoulos B, Savidaki E, Vlachojannis J. Sodium removal in peritoneal dialysis: the role of icodextrin and peritoneal dialysis modalities. Adv Perit Dial. 2008;24:27-31 pubmed..These results indicate that CAPD is a more efficient modality than CCPD for sodium removal. Icodextrin is an effective tool not only for increasing adequacy, but also for removing more sodium in both modalities. ..
- Antoniou G, Koutsias S, Antoniou S, Georgiakakis A, Lazarides M, Giannoukas A. Outcome after endovascular stent graft repair of aortoenteric fistula: A systematic review. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:782-9 pubmed publisher..05). Endovascular stent graft repair of AEF was associated with a high incidence of infection or recurrent bleeding postoperatively. Evidence of sepsis preoperatively was indicating poor outcome. ..
- Koutsokera A, Papaioannou A, Malli F, Kiropoulos T, Katsabeki A, Kerenidi T, et al. Systemic oxidative stress in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009;22:603-7 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests a sustained oxidative burden even when clinical, functional and radiological criteria indicate disease stability. ..
- Georgiadis P, Kostopoulos S, Cavouras D, Glotsos D, Kalatzis I, Sifaki K, et al. Quantitative combination of volumetric MR imaging and MR spectroscopy data for the discrimination of meningiomas from metastatic brain tumors by means of pattern recognition. Magn Reson Imaging. 2011;29:525-35 pubmed publisher..The fusion of the information derived from MRI and MRS data might be helpful in providing clinicians a useful second opinion tool for accurate characterization of brain tumors. ..
- Georgakarakos E, Georgiadis G, Schoretsanitis N, Kapoulas K, Lazarides M. Composite PTFE-transposed superficial femoral vein for lower limb arteriovenous access. J Vasc Access. 2011;12:253-7 pubmed publisher..The indication for surgery was exhaustion of access sites in both upper limbs...
- Patsouri A, Mavrogiannea A, Pepelassi E, Gaintantzopoulou M, Kakaboura A. Clinical effectiveness of a desensitizing system on dentin hypersensitivity in periodontitis patients. Am J Dent. 2011;24:85-92 pubmed..There was no difference in hypersensitivity reduction between the additional in-office application of the DenShield and the at-home use of the DenShield dentifrices alone. ..
- Drosos G, Blatsoukas K, Ververidis A, Tripsianis G, Chloropoulou P, Iatrou C, et al. Blood transfusion and cytokines' changes in total knee replacement. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012;132:1505-13 pubmed..PAT is preferable to allogeneic blood transfusion in terms of the rate of adverse reactions and superficial wound infections. ..
- Pontikoglou C, Kastrinaki M, Klaus M, Kalpadakis C, Katonis P, Alpantaki K, et al. Study of the quantitative, functional, cytogenetic, and immunoregulatory properties of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:1329-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ex vivo expanded B-CLL-derived MSCs harbor intrinsic qualitative and quantitative abnormalities that may be implicated in disease development and/or progression. ..
- Argyriou A, Briani C, Cavaletti G, Bruna J, Alberti P, Velasco R, et al. Advanced age and liability to oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy: post hoc analysis of a prospective study. Eur J Neurol. 2013;20:788-94 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that advanced age does not seem to represent a significant risk factor of OXAIPN in patients with CRC without any other significant co-morbidities. ..
- Oikonomou K, Orfanidou T, Vlychou M, Kapsoritakis A, Tsezou A, Malizos K, et al. Lower fibroblast growth factor 23 levels in young adults with Crohn disease as a possible secondary compensatory effect on the disturbance of bone and mineral metabolism. J Clin Densitom. 2014;17:177-84 pubmed publisher..The downregulation of serum FGF-23 levels in CD appears as a secondary compensatory effect on the bone and mineral metabolism induced by chronic intestinal inflammation. ..
- Roupas N, Mamali I, Maragkos S, Leonidou L, Armeni A, Markantes G, et al. The effect of prolonged aerobic exercise on serum adipokine levels during an ultra-marathon endurance race. Hormones (Athens). 2013;12:275-82 pubmed..Ultra-endurance aerobic exercise and acute negative energy balance lead to an up-regulation of serum resistin levels and a down-regulation of serum leptin levels. ..
- Bidard F, Peeters D, Fehm T, Nole F, Gisbert Criado R, Mavroudis D, et al. Clinical validity of circulating tumour cells in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a pooled analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Oncol. 2014;15:406-14 pubmed publisher..We aimed to assess the clinical validity of circulating tumour cell (CTC) quantification for prognostication of patients with metastatic breast cancer by undertaking a pooled analysis of individual patient data...
- Konsta O, Le Dantec C, Charras A, Cornec D, Kapsogeorgou E, Tzioufas A, et al. Defective DNA methylation in salivary gland epithelial acini from patients with SjÃ¶gren's syndrome is associated with SSB gene expression, anti-SSB/LA detection, and lymphocyte infiltration. J Autoimmun. 2016;68:30-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results highlight the importance of DNA methylation in the pathophysiology of pSS and to the emergence of anti-SSB/La Ab. ..
- Kitrou P, Karnabatidis D, Katsanos K. Drug-coated balloons are replacing the need for nitinol stents in the superficial femoral artery. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino). 2016;57:569-77 pubmed..Available evidence is appraised in the context of clinically meaningful results, relevant unresolved issues are highlighted, and future trends are discussed. ..
- Adamides G, Katsanos C, Parmet Y, Christou G, Xenos M, Hadzilacos T, et al. HRI usability evaluation of interaction modes for a teleoperated agricultural robotic sprayer. Appl Ergon. 2017;62:237-246 pubmed publisher..Specific recommendations for mobile field robot teleoperation to improve HRI awareness for the agricultural spraying task are presented. ..
- Christodoulou G, Margariti M, Malliaras D, Alevizou S. Shared delusions of doubles. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1995;58:499-501 pubmed..The submissive patient, and, to a lesser extent the dominant patient, had evidence of organic cerebral dysfunction. ..
- Froudarakis M, Bouros D, Voloudaki A, Papiris S, Kottakis Y, Constantopoulos S, et al. Pneumothorax as a first manifestation of sarcoidosis. Chest. 1997;112:278-80 pubmed..Three patients with a lung function impairment were treated with oral corticosteroids. One nontreated patient died due to progression of the disease. ..
- Xiros N, Economopoulos T, Christodoulidis C, Dervenoulas J, Papageorgiou E, Mellou S, et al. Splenectomy in patients with malignant non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Eur J Haematol. 2000;64:145-50 pubmed..Moreover, splenectomy has the capacity to modify the disease course in patients with NHL complicated by AIHA or hypersplenism. ..
- Tsiptsios I, Fotiou F, Sitzoglou K, Fountoulakis K. Neurophysiological investigation of cervical spondylosis. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol. 2001;41:305-13 pubmed..SEPs were affected in many cases without CT-MRI findings of spinal cord pressure. From the above findings, SEPs proved to be the most sensitive diagnostic investigation in cervical spondylosis. ..
- Gourgiotou K, Nicolaidou E, Panagiotopoulos A, Hatziolou J, Katsambast A. Treatment of widespread cutaneous larva migrans with thiabendazole. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2001;15:578-80 pubmed..We present a patient with CLM who presumably contacted the disease during a holiday in Singapore. The patient was treated successfully with oral thiabendazole. ..
- Tzioufas A, Wassmuth R, Dafni U, Guialis A, Haga H, Isenberg D, et al. Clinical, immunological, and immunogenetic aspects of autoantibody production against Ro/SSA, La/SSB and their linear epitopes in primary Sjögren's syndrome (pSS): a European multicentre study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:398-404 pubmed
- Mandellos D, Limbitaki G, Papadimitriou A, Anastasopoulos D. Cerebral autosomal dominant arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and leukoencephalopathy (CADASIL) in a Greek family. Neurol Sci. 2005;26:278-81 pubmed
- Dedoussis G, Maumus S, Choumerianou D, Skoumas J, Pitsavos C, Stefanadis C, et al. Different genes and polymorphisms affecting high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in Greek familial hypercholesterolemia patients. Genet Test. 2006;10:192-9 pubmed..01, p = 0.018, p = 0.04, respectively). These results suggest that HDL-C levels in FH heterozygotes may be affected by several different genetic variants. ..
- Papanas N, Papatheodorou K, Papazoglou D, Kotsiou S, Christakidis D, Maltezos E. An insertion/deletion polymorphism in the alpha2B adrenoceptor gene is associated with peripheral neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2007;115:327-30 pubmed..Presence of the D allele is also associated with a higher neuropathic score. These results provide evidence for an association of the D allele with both presence and severity of neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. ..
- Tsezou A, Tzetis M, Gennatas C, Giannatou E, Pampanos A, Malamis G, et al. Association of repeat polymorphisms in the estrogen receptors alpha, beta (ESR1, ESR2) and androgen receptor (AR) genes with the occurrence of breast cancer. Breast. 2008;17:159-66 pubmed..In conclusion, an association for breast cancer risk between short (SS) alleles for the repeat variants of the ESR2 and AR genes was found in women of Greek descent. ..
- Androulakis A, Chrysohoou C, Barbetseas J, Brili S, Kakavas A, Maragiannis D, et al. Arteriovenous connection between the aorta and the coronary sinus through a giant fistulous right coronary artery. Hellenic J Cardiol. 2008;49:48-51 pubmed..Despite the factthat the non-invasive diagnosis of coronary fistulas has traditionally been difficult, in this case echocardiography led to the suspicion of the anomaly...
- Toutouzas K, Drakopoulou M, Dilaveris P, Vaina S, Gatzoulis K, Karabelas J, et al. Inflammation in lone atrial fibrillation: new insights by coronary sinus thermography. Int J Cardiol. 2009;134:345-50 pubmed publisher..01, R=0.44, p=0.02). Patients with AF have increased myocardial heat production, which is correlated to the systemic inflammation. CS blood temperature measurement may provide significant information for the pathogenesis of AF. ..
- Sidiropoulos P, Siakka P, Pagonidis K, Raptopoulou A, Kritikos H, Tsetis D, et al. Sustained improvement of vascular endothelial function during anti-TNFalpha treatment in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Scand J Rheumatol. 2009;38:6-10 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies using more patients are needed to determine the clinical significance of these findings in relation to the risk of atherosclerosis. ..
- Papadimitraki E, Tzardi M, Bertsias G, Sotsiou E, Boumpas D. Glomerular expression of toll-like receptor-9 in lupus nephritis but not in normal kidneys: implications for the amplification of the inflammatory response. Lupus. 2009;18:831-5 pubmed publisher..Activation of TLR-9 expressing glomerular cells by endogenous nucleic acids (nucleosomes) may amplify the inflammatory response. ..
- Fountoulakis K, Siamouli M, Panagiotidis P, Magiria S, Kantartzis S, Papastergiou N, et al. Obesity and smoking in patients with schizophrenia and normal controls: a case-control study. Psychiatry Res. 2010;176:13-6 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study corroborate the increased prevalence of obesity in schizophrenia. The interpretation of this finding remains unclear. ..
- Kondyli M, Gatzounis G, Kyritsis A, Varakis J, Assimakopoulou M. Immunohistochemical detection of phosphorylated JAK-2 and STAT-5 proteins and correlation with erythropoietin receptor (EpoR) expression status in human brain tumors. J Neurooncol. 2010;100:157-64 pubmed publisher..Given the oncogenic potential of the JAK/STAT pathway, detection of different pJAK-2 and pSTAT-5 expression profiles between groups of tumors may reflect differences in the biological behavior of the various human brain tumors. ..
- Sarigianni M, Maria S, Bekiari E, Eleni B, Tsapas A, Apostolos T, et al. Effect of leptin and insulin resistance on properties of human monocytes in lean and obese healthy participants. Angiology. 2010;61:768-74 pubmed publisher..Leptin induces monocyte dysfunction which may be atherogenic. Correlation with insulin resistance suggests that atherosclerosis might be accelerated before the onset of diabetes. ..
- Steiropoulos P, Papanas N, Nena E, Antoniadou M, Serasli E, Papoti S, et al. Inflammatory markers in middle-aged obese subjects: does obstructive sleep apnea syndrome play a role?. Mediators Inflamm. 2010;2010:675320 pubmed publisher..Thus, the aim of this study was to explore differences in serum levels of inflammation markers between obese individuals with or without OSAS...
- Koletsis E, Prokakis C, Baltayiannis N, Apostolakis E, Chatzimichalis A, Dougenis D. Surgical decision making in tracheobronchial injuries on the basis of clinical evidences and the injury's anatomical setting: a retrospective analysis. Injury. 2012;43:1437-41 pubmed publisher..Surgical primary repair represents the treatment of choice in airway injuries with the approach depending on the specific site of the lesion. Therefore we consider valuable the division of the tracheobronchial tree in 4 zones. ..
- Riga M, Chelis L, Kakolyris S, Papadopoulos S, Stathakidou S, Chamalidou E, et al. Transtympanic injections of N-acetylcysteine for the prevention of cisplatin-induced ototoxicity: a feasible method with promising efficacy. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013;36:1-6 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are required to further clarify the efficiency of this treatment and determine the optimal dosage and protocol. ..
- Kotoula V, Krikelis D, Karavasilis V, Koletsa T, Eleftheraki A, Televantou D, et al. Expression of DNA repair and replication genes in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): a role for thymidylate synthetase (TYMS). BMC Cancer. 2012;12:342 pubmed publisher..With this approach, NSCLC patients with aberrant intratumoral TYMS expression will probably fare better with platinum-based treatments. ..
- Samara S, Dailiana Z, Chassanidis C, Koromila T, Papatheodorou L, Malizos K, et al. Expression profile of osteoprotegerin, RANK and RANKL genes in the femoral head of patients with avascular necrosis. Exp Mol Pathol. 2014;96:9-14 pubmed publisher..This finding may have an effect on the resulting bone destruction and the subsequent collapse of the hip joint. ..
- Eleftheriadis T, Pissas G, Antoniadi G, Liakopoulos V, Tsogka K, Sounidaki M, et al. Differential effects of the two amino acid sensing systems, the GCN2 kinase and the mTOR complex 1, on primary human alloreactive CD4? T-cells. Int J Mol Med. 2016;37:1412-20 pubmed publisher..On the contrary, the activation of GCN2 kinase suppressed only Th2 differentiation. ..
- Georgakarakos E, Georgiadis G, Argyriou C, Schoretsanitis N, Antoniou G, Lazarides M. Preliminary Single-Center Experience with the Bolton Treovance Endograft in the Treatment of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016;34:68-74 pubmed publisher..Although our preliminary results are promising, follow-up data are needed to establish the durability of this new-generation endovascular device in standard or challenging anatomies. ..
- Gossios K, Tsianos E, Demou L, Tatsis C, Papakostas V, Masalas C, et al. Use of water or air as oral contrast media for computed tomographic study of the gastric wall: comparison of the two techniques. Gastrointest Radiol. 1991;16:293-7 pubmed..The water technique showed more gastric wall details and the lesion's limits could be defined more accurately. The acceptance and tolerance of the gas-producing agent was better in severely ill patients than tap water. ..
- Charitopoulos N, Karkanias G, Dimitraki T, Papadimitriou C, Golematis B. Postoperative alkaline reflux gastritis following vagotomy. Hepatogastroenterology. 1994;41:542-5 pubmed..Helicobacter pylori was found more frequently in biopsy specimens from patients with severe symptoms (30.3%), but was present in only 14.6% of the total number of the patients with postoperative alkaline reflux gastritis after vagotomy. ..
- Kloutsos G, Balatsouras D, Kaberos A, Kandiloros D, Ferekidis E, Economou C. Upper airway edema resulting from use of Ecballium elaterium. Laryngoscope. 2001;111:1652-5 pubmed..However, adverse reactions in some patients with a positive history of allergy should always be considered. ..
- Kountouras J, Chatzopoulos D, Zavos C, Boura P, Venizelos J, Kalis A. Efficacy of trimebutine therapy in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Hepatogastroenterology. 2002;49:193-7 pubmed..In Group A there was a significant improvement in GERD (P = 0.003) and IBS symptoms (P < 0.0001) as well as esophagitis (P = 0.029), when compared with Group B. Trimebutine appears to be effective in patients with GERD and IBS. ..
- Stavraka A, Madan A, Frantzides C, Apostolopoulos D, Vlontzou E. Gastric emptying time, not enterogastric reflux, is related to symptoms after upper gastrointestinal/biliary surgery. Am J Surg. 2002;184:596-9; discussion 599-600 pubmed..Delayed gastric emptying time, not frequency or extent of EGR, was associated with the symptoms of bile reflux in patients who had previous upper gastrointestinal or biliary operations. ..
- Akritidis N, Gousis C, Dimos G, Paparounas K. Fever, cough, and bilateral lung infiltrates. Achalasia associated with aspiration pneumonia. Chest. 2003;123:608-12 pubmed
- Kollia P, Samara M, Stamatopoulos K, Belessi C, Stavroyianni N, Tsompanakou A, et al. Molecular evidence for transferrin receptor 2 expression in all FAB subtypes of acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Res. 2003;27:1101-3 pubmed..These findings suggest that: (i) TfR2 expression is not restricted to erythroid cells, and (ii) iron import proteins might complement each other in AML cells. ..
- Antoniades K, Hadjipetrou L, Antoniades V, Antoniades D. Acute tongue abscess. Report of three cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004;97:570-3 pubmed..Three cases of tongue abscess are reported, along with discussion of the presentation, pathophysiology, differential diagnosis, and management of this disease...
- Onyenadum A, Gogas H, Kosmidis P, Aravantinos G, Bafaloukos D, Bacoyiannis H, et al. Mitoxantrone plus gemcitabine in pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer. J Chemother. 2006;18:192-8 pubmed..There were no treatment related deaths. The authors conclude that the combination of mitoxantrone and gemcitabine is an effective regimen in pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer. Toxicity was manageable. ..