Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on middle aged in Greece
Topic: middle aged
Publications458 found, 100 shown here
- Gakiopoulou H, Korkolopoulou P, Levidou G, Thymara I, Saetta A, Piperi C, et al. Minichromosome maintenance proteins 2 and 5 in non-benign epithelial ovarian tumours: relationship with cell cycle regulators and prognostic implications. Br J Cancer. 2007;97:1124-34 pubmed..0001 in both relationships). In conclusion, MCM-2 and MCM-5 proteins appear to be promising as prognostic markers in patients with ovarian adenocarcinomas. ..
- Schiza S, Simantirakis E, Bouloukaki I, Mermigkis C, Arfanakis D, Chrysostomakis S, et al. Sleep patterns in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Sleep Med. 2010;11:149-53 pubmed publisher..The changes tend to disappear over time, suggesting a relationship with the acute phase of the underlying disease. ..
- Paschalis E, Labiris G, Aristeidou A, Foudoulakis N, Koukoula S, Kozobolis V. Laser in situ keratomileusis flap-thickness predictability with a pendular microkeratome. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2011;37:2160-6 pubmed publisher..Second surgical eyes had thinner flaps, possibly from blade deterioration from the first cut. Approximately 100 flaps were required as a learning curve. ..
- Dermitzaki D, Tzortzaki E, Soulitzis N, Neofytou E, Prinianakis G, Matalliotakis I, et al. Molecular response of the human diaphragm on different modes of mechanical ventilation. Respiration. 2013;85:228-35 pubmed publisher..The mechanical stress that the human diaphragm is exposed to during mechanical ventilation affects a variety of processes, including signal transduction, gene expression, and angiogenesis...
- Chloropoulou P, Iatrou C, Vogiatzaki T, Kotsianidis I, Trypsianis G, Tsigalou C, et al. Epidural anesthesia followed by epidural analgesia produces less inflammatory response than spinal anesthesia followed by intravenous morphine analgesia in patients with total knee arthroplasty. Med Sci Monit. 2013;19:73-80 pubmed
- Melissas J, Schoretsanitis G, Valasiadou K, Vrahasotakis N, Tsiftsis D. Neurofibrosarcoma of the duodenum. Eur J Surg Oncol. 1995;21:571-2 pubmed..No adjuvant therapy was judged to be necessary. The patient is well and free of disease 5 years following the resection of the neoplasm...
- Koukourakis M, Yannakakis D. High dose daily amifostine and hypofractionated intensively accelerated radiotherapy for locally advanced breast cancer. A phase I/II study and report on early and late sequellae. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:2973-8 pubmed..High dose daily amifostine during hypofractionated radiotherapy is feasible. HypoARC regimen is well-tolerated, effective and has minimal acute and late toxicity to normal breast, chest and axillary tissues. ..
- Kouskos E, Markopoulos C, Revenas K, Koufopoulos K, Kyriakou V, Gogas J. Computer-aided preoperative diagnosis of microcalcifications on mammograms. Acta Radiol. 2003;44:43-6 pubmed..Our study showed that computer analysis achieved statistically significantly better performance than that of physicians in the classification of malignant and benign calcifications. ..
- Tsiligianni I, Antoniou K, Kyriakou D, Tzanakis N, Chrysofakis G, Siafakas N, et al. Th1/Th2 cytokine pattern in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and induced sputum in pulmonary sarcoidosis. BMC Pulm Med. 2005;5:8 pubmed..These data suggests that a Th1-like cytokine pattern can be observed in CD4+ T-lymphocytes in IS in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis. Further studies are needed to explore the value of IS vs BALF in the follow-up of these patients. ..
- Tsaroucha A, Polychronidis A, Lyrantzopoulos N, Pitiakoudis M, J Karayiannakis A, Manolas K, et al. Hydatid disease of the abdomen and other locations. World J Surg. 2005;29:1161-5 pubmed..The surgical treatment should be combined with careful use of scolicidal fluids and aspiration of the cyst to avoid contamination and minimize the risk of recurrence. ..
- Sapkas G, Machinis T, Chloros G, Fountas K, Themistocleous G, Vrettakos G. Spinal hydatid disease, a rare but existent pathological entity: case report and review of the literature. South Med J. 2006;99:178-83 pubmed..The literature is reviewed regarding the clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of spinal echinococcosis. ..
- Decavalas G, Adonakis G, Androutsopoulos G, Gkermpesi M, Kourounis G. Sarcoidosis of the vulva: a case report. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2007;275:203-5 pubmed..The patient underwent a wide local excision of the painful lesion. The histology revealed sarcoidosis of the vulva. She remains well without evidence of relapse 12 months after operation. ..
- Kostopoulou E, Daponte A, Kallitsaris A, Papamichali R, Kalodimos G, Messinis I, et al. Xanthogranulomatous salpingitis: report of three cases and comparison with a case of pseudoxanthomatous salpingitis. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2008;35:291-4 pubmed..In the present report three cases of xanthogranulomatous salpingitis and one case of pseudoxanthomatous salpingitis are presented and their clinical, pathological and histochemical features are compared...
- Limberis V, Romanidis C, Galazios G, Koutsougeras G, Papadopoulos N, Lambropoulou M, et al. Intraoperative estimation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer by imprint cytology. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2009;30:85-7 pubmed..Touch imprint cytology is a fast and reliable alternative for intraoperative evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer patients. ..
- Tsopra O, Ziros P, Lagadinou E, Symeonidis A, Kouraklis Symeonidis A, Thanopoulou E, et al. Disease-related anemia in chronic lymphocytic leukemia is not due to intrinsic defects of erythroid precursors: a possible pathogenetic role for tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Acta Haematol. 2009;121:187-95 pubmed publisher..Disease-related anemia in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) occurs when the obvious causes are excluded while its pathogenesis is still obscure. We investigated its underlying mechanisms in 56 untreated patients with CLL...
- Antoniou G, Sfyroeras G, Karathanos C, Achouhan H, Koutsias S, Vretzakis G, et al. Hybrid endovascular and open treatment of severe multilevel lower extremity arterial disease. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2009;38:616-22 pubmed publisher..Hybrid procedures provide an effective treatment management of selected patients with multilevel lower extremity arterial disease. The extent of the disease, diabetes and dyslipidaemia are associated with worse outcome. ..
- Karanikas V, Zamanakou M, Soukou F, Kerenidi T, Gourgoulianis K, Germenis A. Naturally occurring tumor-specific CD8+ T-cell precursors in individuals with and without cancer. Immunol Cell Biol. 2010;88:575-85 pubmed publisher..Hence, our findings could have an important role for the design of improved immunotherapeutic approaches for lung cancer. ..
- Alexopoulos D, Dimitropoulos G, Davlouros P, Xanthopoulou I, Kassimis G, Stavrou E, et al. Prasugrel overcomes high on-clopidogrel platelet reactivity post-stenting more effectively than high-dose (150-mg) clopidogrel: the importance of CYP2C19*2 genotyping. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2011;4:403-10 pubmed publisher..Prasugrel Versus High Dose Clopidogrel in Clopidogrel Resistant Patients Post Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI); NCT01109784). ..
- Kadoglou N, Vrabas I, Kapelouzou A, Lampropoulos S, Sailer N, Kostakis A, et al. Impact of atorvastatin on serum vaspin levels in hypercholesterolemic patients with moderate cardiovascular risk. Regul Pept. 2011;170:57-61 pubmed publisher..The relation of those pleiotropic, non-lipid-lowering effects of statins with their clinical outcomes remains to be proved. ..
- Marnerides A, Vassilakopoulos T, Boltetsou E, Levidou G, Angelopoulou M, Thymara I, et al. Immunohistochemical expression and prognostic significance of CCND3, MCM2 and MCM7 in Hodgkin lymhoma. Anticancer Res. 2011;31:3585-94 pubmed..These results suggest that MCM7 deserves further evaluation as a potential independent prognostic factor in larger patient series. ..
- Tseliou E, Bakakos P, Kostikas K, Hillas G, Mantzouranis K, Emmanouil P, et al. Increased levels of angiopoietins 1 and 2 in sputum supernatant in severe refractory asthma. Allergy. 2012;67:396-402 pubmed publisher..In SRA, Ang-2 is associated with mediators involved in both the inflammatory and the vascular remodeling processes. ..
- Stoyianni A, Goussia A, Pentheroudakis G, Siozopoulou V, Ioachim E, Krikelis D, et al. Immunohistochemical study of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition phenotype in cancer of unknown primary: incidence, correlations and prognostic utility. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:1273-81 pubmed..05). EMT is infrequently seen in tumours of CUP. However, an adverse prognostic significance for patient outcome has been identified and may warrant studies of therapeutic targeting. ..
- Vedovati M, Becattini C, Agnelli G, Kamphuisen P, Masotti L, Pruszczyk P, et al. Multidetector CT scan for acute pulmonary embolism: embolic burden and clinical outcome. Chest. 2012;142:1417-1424 pubmed publisher..In hemodynamically stable patients with acute PE, central emboli are associated with an increased risk for all-cause death or clinical deterioration. This risk is low in patients with segmental or subsegmental PE. ..
- Plaka A, Grentzelos M, Astyrakakis N, Kymionis G, Pallikaris I, Plainis S. Efficacy of two silicone-hydrogel contact lenses for bandage use after photorefractive keratectomy. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2013;36:243-6 pubmed publisher..Faster and smoother epithelial healing is provided with Asmofilcon A over Lotrafilcon B lenses. ..
- Alexopoulos D, Xanthopoulou I, Goudevenos J. Effects of P2Y12 receptor inhibition in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:2064-9 pubmed publisher..Although ominous signs of greater bleeding potential of stronger antiplatelet regimens have not appeared in STEMI, this should be carefully tested. ..
- Broodman I, VanDuijn M, Stingl C, Dekker L, Germenis A, de Koning H, et al. Survivin Autoantibodies Are Not Elevated in Lung Cancer When Assayed Controlling for Specificity and Smoking Status. Cancer Immunol Res. 2016;4:165-72 pubmed publisher..We conclude that specific anti-survivin autoantibody reactivity is most likely not present in sera before or after diagnosis. Autoantibody studies benefit from a comparison to a well-controlled population, stratified for smoking habit. ..
- Vamvakidis K, Rellos K, Tsourma M, Christoforides C, Anastasiou E, Zorbas K, et al. Antibiotic prophylaxis for clean neck surgery. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2017;99:410-412 pubmed publisher..4% vs 1.4% respectively, p=0.19). Older age was the only variable associated with the development of SSIs (p=0.014). ..
- Zivlas C, Triposkiadis F, Psarras S, Giamouzis G, Skoularigis I, Chryssanthopoulos S, et al. Left atrial volume index in patients with heart failure and severely impaired left ventricular systolic function: the role of established echocardiographic parameters, circulating cystatin C and galectin-3. Ther Adv Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;11:283-295 pubmed publisher..Apart from known determinants of LAVi, circulating CysC and Gal-3 were associated with greater LA dilatation in patients with HF with reduced LVEF. Interestingly, the correlation between these two fibrotic proteins was positive. ..
- Sipsas N, Panayiotakopoulos G, Zormpala A, Thanos L, Artinopoulos C, Kordossis T. Sternal tuberculosis after coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Scand J Infect Dis. 2001;33:387-8 pubmed..Although pre-operative evaluation revealed signs of asymptomatic tuberculosis of the lung, isoniazid chemoprophylaxis was not instituted, and the patient developed active tuberculosis in both the lung and sternum 5 y later. ..
- Samonis G, Anatoliotaki M, Apostolakou H, Maraki S, Mavroudis D, Georgoulias V. Transient fungemia due to Rhodotorula rubra in a cancer patient: case report and review of the literature. Infection. 2001;29:173-6 pubmed..Restoration of the patient's defense mechanisms was adequate for disappearance of the fungus from the patient's blood and full recovery. ..
- Meletis J, Terpos E, Samarkos M, Meletis C, Apostolidou E, Komninaka V, et al. Detection of CD55- and/or CD59-deficient red cell populations in patients with plasma cell dyscrasias. Int J Hematol. 2002;75:40-4 pubmed..These findings illustrate the existence of the PNH phenotype in the red cells of patients with PCD; further investigation is needed into the mechanisms and significance of this phenotype. ..
- Giatromanolaki A, Koukourakis M, Simopoulos C, Polychronidis A, Sivridis E. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in operable gallbladder carcinomas. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2003;29:879-83 pubmed..Both VEGF and TP expression are associated with high rate of angiogenesis, a factor directly associated with prognosis. The combined expression of these angiogenic factors confer a particularly poor post-operative outcome, speculature. ..
- Kakagia D, Tamiolakis D, Lambropoulou M, Kakagia A, Grekou A, Papadopoulos N. Systemic B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia first presenting as a cutaneous infiltrate arising at the site of a herpes simplex scar. Minerva Stomatol. 2005;54:161-3 pubmed..A case of a 63-year-old male patient with cutaneous B-CLL infiltrate of the right oral commissure at the site of herpes simplex scar as first sign of the disease is herein reported. ..
- Dimakopoulos P, Panagopoulos A, Syggelos S, Panagiotopoulos E, Lambiris E. Double-loop suture repair for acute acromioclavicular joint disruption. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34:1112-9 pubmed
- Demiri E, Foroglou P, Dionyssiou D, Antoniou A, Kakas P, Pavlidis L, et al. Our experience with the lateral supramalleolar island flap for reconstruction of the distal leg and foot: a review of 20 cases. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2006;40:106-10 pubmed..Based on a secondary vascular axis, it has a large skin paddle and a wide rotation arc that reaches the distal areas of the foot. ..
- Argyriou A, Polychronopoulos P, Moutopulou E, Aplada M, Chroni E. The significance of intact sympathetic skin responses in carpal tunnel syndrome. Eur J Neurol. 2006;13:455-9 pubmed..In the present setting, SSR appeared to be independent of somatic afferent function and the corresponding sensory action potentials. ..
- Antoniou K, Tzouvelekis A, Alexandrakis M, Tsiligianni I, Tzanakis N, Sfiridaki K, et al. Upregulation of Th1 cytokine profile (IL-12, IL-18) in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2006;26:400-5 pubmed..Further large-scale studies are needed to define the precise role of IL-12 and IL-18 in the immunopathogenesis of this disorder. ..
- Dragoumanis C, Vretzakis G, Papaioannou V, Didilis V, Vogiatzaki T, Pneumatikos I. Investigating the failure to aspirate subglottic secretions with the Evac endotracheal tube. Anesth Analg. 2007;105:1083-5, table of contents pubmed..Evacuation of subglottic secretions using the Evac ETT is often ineffective due to prolapse of tracheal mucosa into the subglottic suction port. ..
- Theodoropoulou A, Psyrogiannis A, Metallinos I, Habeos I, Vgenakis A, Kyriazopoulou V. Ghrelin response to oral glucose load in hyperthyroidism, before and after treatment with antithyroid drugs. J Endocrinol Invest. 2009;32:94-7 pubmed..T3 and T4 levels do not influence ghrelin levels. There is no evidence that ghrelin is responsible for the increase appetite seen in hyperthyroidism. ..
- Filippidis A, Kapsalaki E, Patramani G, Fountas K. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis: review of the demographics, pathophysiology, current diagnosis, and treatment. Neurosurg Focus. 2009;27:E3 pubmed publisher..The recent advances in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with CVST have significantly lowered the associated mortality and morbidity and have improved the outcome of these patients. ..
- Xiromeritis A, Hatziefthimiou A, Hadjigeorgiou G, Gourgoulianis K, Anagnostopoulou D, Angelopoulos N. Quantitative spectral analysis of vigilance EEG in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome: EEG mapping in OSAS patients. Sleep Breath. 2011;15:121-8 pubmed publisher..CPAP treatment improved daytime sleepiness of OSA patients in contrast to the alterations in alpha (decreased) and delta (increased) relative power suggesting a possible persistent brain dysfunction. ..
- Dimitrakopoulos F, Antonacopoulou A, Kottorou A, Vlotinou H, Panagopoulos N, Dougenis D, et al. NSCLC and the alternative pathway of NF-?B: uncovering an unknown relation. Virchows Arch. 2012;460:515-23 pubmed publisher..Moreover, lymph node metastasis was related to nuclear NF-?B2 expression in tumor cells. The deregulation of the alternative NF-?B pathway in NSCLC could play a role in the development and progression of the disease. ..
- Riga M, Kefalidis G, Danielides V. The role of diabetes mellitus in the clinical presentation and prognosis of Bell palsy. J Am Board Fam Med. 2012;25:819-26 pubmed publisher..However, the relationship between the frequency, severity, and recovery course of Bell palsy in patients with these pathologies is a matter of controversy...
- Tsivgoulis G, Judd S, Letter A, Alexandrov A, Howard G, Nahab F, et al. Adherence to a Mediterranean diet and risk of incident cognitive impairment. Neurology. 2013;80:1684-92 pubmed publisher..27; 95% CI 0.95-1.71; p = 0.1063). Higher adherence to MeD was associated with a lower likelihood of ICI independent of potential confounders. This association was moderated by presence of diabetes mellitus. ..
- Tzouvelekis A, Zacharis G, Oikonomou A, Mikroulis D, Margaritopoulos G, Koutsopoulos A, et al. Increased incidence of autoimmune markers in patients with combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema. BMC Pulm Med. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..The aim of our study was to investigate the incidence of autoimmune markers in patients with CPFE...
- Karavias D, Maroulis I, Papadaki H, Gogos C, Kakkos S, Karavias D, et al. Overexpression of CDT1 Is a Predictor of Poor Survival in Patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;20:568-79 pubmed publisher..049). Overexpression of CDT1 and MCM7 in hepatocellular carcinoma correlates with DNA damage response, and CDT1 overexpression is a significant prognostic biomarker in hepatocellular carcinoma. ..
- Poulakaki N, Makris G, Battista M, BÃ¶hm D, Petraki K, Bafaloukos D, et al. Hormonal receptor status, Ki-67 and HER2 expression: Prognostic value in the recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast?. Breast. 2016;25:57-61 pubmed publisher..Future studies with additional molecular markers seem necessary to further improve the identification of high-risk patients for DCIS recurrence. ..
- Chrysohoou C, Metallinos G, Georgiopoulos G, Mendrinos D, Papanikolaou A, Magkas N, et al. Short term omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation induces favorable changes in right ventricle function and diastolic filling pressure in patients with chronic heart failure; A randomized clinical trial. Vascul Pharmacol. 2016;79:43-50 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a beneficial role of omega 3-PUFAs on the hemodynamic course of patients with systolic heart failure. ..
- Karamouzis M, Sotiropoulou Bonikou G, Vandoros G, Varakis I, Papavassiliou A. Differential expression of retinoic acid receptor beta (RARbeta) and the AP-1 transcription factor in normal, premalignant and malignant human laryngeal tissues. Eur J Cancer. 2004;40:761-73 pubmed
- Tzortzaki E, Dimakou K, Neofytou E, Tsikritsaki K, Samara K, Avgousti M, et al. Oxidative DNA damage and somatic mutations: a link to the molecular pathogenesis of chronic inflammatory airway diseases. Chest. 2012;141:1243-1250 pubmed publisher..This may reflect a difference in the oxidative stress per se or a deficient antioxidant and/or repair capacity in the lungs of patients with COPD. ..
- Iosifidis M, Iliopoulos E, Panagiotou A, Apostolidis K, Traios S, Giantsis G. Walking ability before and after a hip fracture in elderly predict greater long-term survivorship. J Orthop Sci. 2016;21:48-52 pubmed publisher..Ambulation status before injury is a significant long-term predictor factor for survivorship. ..
- Chiladakis J, Stathopoulos C, Davlouros P, Manolis A. Intravenous magnesium sulfate versus diltiazem in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Int J Cardiol. 2001;79:287-91 pubmed
- Vageli D, Daniil Z, Dahabreh J, Karagianni E, Liloglou T, Koukoulis G, et al. Microsatellite instability and loss of heterozygosity at the MEN1 locus in lung carcinoid tumors: a novel approach using real-time PCR with melting curve analysis in histopathologic material. Oncol Rep. 2006;15:557-64 pubmed
- Anagnostou E, Mandellos D, Limbitaki G, Papadimitriou A, Anastasopoulos D. Positional nystagmus and vertigo due to a solitary brachium conjunctivum plaque. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:790-2 pubmed..Insufficient otolithic information results in erroneous adjustment of the Listing's plane in off-vertical head positions, thus producing nystagmic eye movements. ..
- Kouskos E, Chatziantoniou J, Chrissafis I, Anitsakis C, Zamtrakis S. Uncommon locations of hydatid cysts. Singapore Med J. 2007;48:e119-21 pubmed
- Koletsis E, Kalogeropoulou C, Prodromaki E, Kagadis G, Katsanos K, Spiropoulos K, et al. Tumoral and non-tumoral trachea stenoses: evaluation with three-dimensional CT and virtual bronchoscopy. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007;2:18 pubmed..They may play a role in assessment of airway patency distal to high-grade stenoses, and represent a reliable alternative method for patients not amenable to conventional bronchoscopy. ..
- Xenellis J, Nikolopoulos T, Marangoudakis P, Vlastarakos P, Tsangaroulakis A, Ferekidis E. Cochlear implantation in atelectasis and chronic otitis media: long-term follow-up. Otol Neurotol. 2008;29:499-501 pubmed publisher..However, a 2-stage procedure may not always be necessary and might best be confined to those patients who have active inflammatory disease at the primary procedure. ..
- Kiekkas P, Sakellaropoulos G, Brokalaki H, Manolis E, Samios A, Skartsani C, et al. Association between nursing workload and mortality of intensive care unit patients. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2008;40:385-90 pubmed publisher..Proper nurse staffing levels should be based on the estimation of total patient acuity, rather than on the absolute number of patients. ..
- Plachouras D, Karvanen M, Friberg L, Papadomichelakis E, Antoniadou A, Tsangaris I, et al. Population pharmacokinetic analysis of colistin methanesulfonate and colistin after intravenous administration in critically ill patients with infections caused by gram-negative bacteria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:3430-6 pubmed publisher..The implications of these findings are that the plasma colistin concentrations are insufficient before steady state and raise the question of whether the administration of a loading dose would benefit critically ill patients. ..
- Bilanakis N, Kalampokis G, Christou K, Peritogiannis V. Use of coercive physical measures in a psychiatric ward of a general hospital in Greece. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2010;56:402-11 pubmed publisher..Strategies that will enhance patients' follow-up are expected to prevent involuntary admissions and reduce the use of coercive measures. ..
- Antoniou G, Koutsias S, Karathanos C, Sfyroeras G, Vretzakis G, Giannoukas A. Endovascular stent-graft repair of major abdominal arteriovenous fistula: a systematic review. J Endovasc Ther. 2009;16:514-23 pubmed publisher..However, no long-term data exist, and larger series are required to draw solid conclusions regarding the outcomes of this method. ..
- Michalaki M, Margeli T, Tsekouras A, Gogos C, Vagenakis A, Kyriazopoulou V. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis response to the severity of illness in non-critically ill patients: does relative corticosteroid insufficiency exist?. Eur J Endocrinol. 2010;162:341-7 pubmed publisher..All patients had a good outcome without glucocorticoid treatment. Depending on the severity of illness, mild alterations in the HPA axis occurred. However, relative corticosteroid insufficiency was not confirmed in NCIN patients. ..
- Themeli M, Petrikkos L, Waterhouse M, Bertz H, Lagadinou E, Zoumbos N, et al. Alloreactive microenvironment after human hematopoietic cell transplantation induces genomic alterations in epithelium through an ROS-mediated mechanism: in vivo and in vitro study and implications to secondary neoplasia. Leukemia. 2010;24:536-43 pubmed publisher..Progress in understanding DNA damage and repair after allo-HCT can potentially provide molecular biomarkers and therapeutic targets. ..
- Staikos C, Ververidis A, Drosos G, Manolopoulos V, Verettas D, Tavridou A. The association of adipokine levels in plasma and synovial fluid with the severity of knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:1077-83 pubmed publisher..We sought to determine the association between plasma and SF levels of leptin and adiponectin in patients with knee OA...
- Malizos K, Sarma J, Seaton R, Militz M, Menichetti F, Riccio G, et al. Daptomycin for the treatment of osteomyelitis and orthopaedic device infections: real-world clinical experience from a European registry. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:111-8 pubmed publisher..Daptomycin was discontinued by 5.5 % of patients due to AEs and 10 (1.6 %) deaths were reported. In conclusion, daptomycin was effective and safe in patients with osteomyelitis or orthopaedic device infections. ..
- Drivalos A, Chrisofos M, Efstathiou E, Kapranou A, Kollaitis G, Koutlis G, et al. Expression of Î±5-integrin, Î±7-integrin, Î•-cadherin, and N-cadherin in localized prostate cancer. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:165.e11-8 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that these have potential values in the diagnosis and are predictable indices in the proliferation of PCa. ..
- Georgitsi M, Vitoros V, Panou C, Tsangaris I, Aimoniotou E, Gatselis N, et al. Individualized significance of the -251 A/T single nucleotide polymorphism of interleukin-8 in severe infections. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:563-70 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that carriage of rs4073 modifies susceptibility for severe infection in an individualized way. This is associated with a modulation of circulating IL-8. ..
- Nakos G, Evrenoglou D, Vassilakis N, Lampropoulos S. Haemodynamics and gas exchange in liver cirrhosis: the effect of orally administered almitrine bismesylate. Respir Med. 1993;87:93-8 pubmed..The data suggest a weak HPV response in this group of cirrhotics; that response may be enhanced by almitrine. ..
- Hatzakis K, Froudarakis M, Bouros D, Tzanakis N, Karkavitsas N, Siafakas N. Prognostic value of serum tumor markers in patients with lung cancer. Respiration. 2002;69:25-9 pubmed..Also, CYFRA 21-1 with TPA and CA 125 may provide useful information regarding the staging of the disease at diagnosis and the prognosis of patients with NSCLC. ..
- Scopa C, Tsamandas A, Zolota V, Kalofonos H, Batistatou A, Vagianos C. Potential role of bcl-2 and ki-67 expression and apoptosis in colorectal carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study. Dig Dis Sci. 2003;48:1990-7 pubmed..Regulation of apoptosis is a complex phenomenon and other factors, including tumor heterogeneity, may be involved. ..
- Karatzanis A, Chimona T, Prokopakis E, Kyrmizakis D, Velegrakis G. Cochlear implantation after radical mastoidectomy: management of a challenging case. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2003;65:375-8 pubmed..The surgical approach to a patient with a history of bilateral radical mastoidectomy is addressed in detail. The benefits of cochlear implantation in this case are also discussed. ..
- Spengos K, Panas M, Tsivgoulis G, Vemmos K, Sfagos K, Vassilopoulos D. Crescendo transient ischemic attacks due to middle cerebral artery stenosis. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2004;17:266-8 pubmed
- Kalafatis P, Zougkas K, Petas A. Primary ureteroscopic treatment for obstructive ureteral stone-causing fornix rupture. Int J Urol. 2004;11:1058-64 pubmed..Ureteroscopic lithotripsy followed by double-J stenting of the ureter may offer a quick and safe therapeutic alternative for distal and middle obstructive ureteral stones with FR. ..
- Markopoulos C, Kouskos E, Revenas K, Mantas D, Antonopoulou Z, Kontzoglou K, et al. Open surgical biopsy for nonpalpable breast lesions detected on screening mammography. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2005;26:311-4 pubmed..Frozen section is feasible and accurate in the majority of these lesions, and therefore, diagnostic and therapeutic one-step surgical procedures could be performed. ..
- Panutsopulos D, Arvanitis D, Tsatsanis C, Papalambros E, Sigala F, Spandidos D. Expression of heregulin in human coronary atherosclerotic lesions. J Vasc Res. 2005;42:463-74 pubmed..HRG may, therefore, play an important role in the development of coronary artery disease and the expansion of the atherosclerotic plaque and may locally regulate the expression of the angiogenetic factor CYR61. ..
- Malizos K, Karantanas A, Varitimidis S, Dailiana Z, Bargiotas K, Maris T. Osteonecrosis of the femoral head: etiology, imaging and treatment. Eur J Radiol. 2007;63:16-28 pubmed..Replacement of the hip joint is the last resort for pain relief and function, although non-desirable because of the young age of the affected population...
- Fourtounas C, Hardalias A, Dousdampanis P, Papachristopoulos B, Savidaki E, Vlachojannis J. Sodium removal in peritoneal dialysis: the role of icodextrin and peritoneal dialysis modalities. Adv Perit Dial. 2008;24:27-31 pubmed..These results indicate that CAPD is a more efficient modality than CCPD for sodium removal. Icodextrin is an effective tool not only for increasing adequacy, but also for removing more sodium in both modalities. ..
- Antoniou G, Koutsias S, Antoniou S, Georgiakakis A, Lazarides M, Giannoukas A. Outcome after endovascular stent graft repair of aortoenteric fistula: A systematic review. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:782-9 pubmed publisher..05). Endovascular stent graft repair of AEF was associated with a high incidence of infection or recurrent bleeding postoperatively. Evidence of sepsis preoperatively was indicating poor outcome. ..
- Koutsokera A, Papaioannou A, Malli F, Kiropoulos T, Katsabeki A, Kerenidi T, et al. Systemic oxidative stress in patients with pulmonary sarcoidosis. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2009;22:603-7 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests a sustained oxidative burden even when clinical, functional and radiological criteria indicate disease stability. ..
- Georgiadis P, Kostopoulos S, Cavouras D, Glotsos D, Kalatzis I, Sifaki K, et al. Quantitative combination of volumetric MR imaging and MR spectroscopy data for the discrimination of meningiomas from metastatic brain tumors by means of pattern recognition. Magn Reson Imaging. 2011;29:525-35 pubmed publisher..The fusion of the information derived from MRI and MRS data might be helpful in providing clinicians a useful second opinion tool for accurate characterization of brain tumors. ..
- Georgakarakos E, Georgiadis G, Schoretsanitis N, Kapoulas K, Lazarides M. Composite PTFE-transposed superficial femoral vein for lower limb arteriovenous access. J Vasc Access. 2011;12:253-7 pubmed publisher..The indication for surgery was exhaustion of access sites in both upper limbs...
- Patsouri A, Mavrogiannea A, Pepelassi E, Gaintantzopoulou M, Kakaboura A. Clinical effectiveness of a desensitizing system on dentin hypersensitivity in periodontitis patients. Am J Dent. 2011;24:85-92 pubmed..There was no difference in hypersensitivity reduction between the additional in-office application of the DenShield and the at-home use of the DenShield dentifrices alone. ..
- Drosos G, Blatsoukas K, Ververidis A, Tripsianis G, Chloropoulou P, Iatrou C, et al. Blood transfusion and cytokines' changes in total knee replacement. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012;132:1505-13 pubmed..PAT is preferable to allogeneic blood transfusion in terms of the rate of adverse reactions and superficial wound infections. ..
- Pontikoglou C, Kastrinaki M, Klaus M, Kalpadakis C, Katonis P, Alpantaki K, et al. Study of the quantitative, functional, cytogenetic, and immunoregulatory properties of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in patients with B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:1329-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ex vivo expanded B-CLL-derived MSCs harbor intrinsic qualitative and quantitative abnormalities that may be implicated in disease development and/or progression. ..
- Argyriou A, Briani C, Cavaletti G, Bruna J, Alberti P, Velasco R, et al. Advanced age and liability to oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy: post hoc analysis of a prospective study. Eur J Neurol. 2013;20:788-94 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that advanced age does not seem to represent a significant risk factor of OXAIPN in patients with CRC without any other significant co-morbidities. ..
- Oikonomou K, Orfanidou T, Vlychou M, Kapsoritakis A, Tsezou A, Malizos K, et al. Lower fibroblast growth factor 23 levels in young adults with Crohn disease as a possible secondary compensatory effect on the disturbance of bone and mineral metabolism. J Clin Densitom. 2014;17:177-84 pubmed publisher..The downregulation of serum FGF-23 levels in CD appears as a secondary compensatory effect on the bone and mineral metabolism induced by chronic intestinal inflammation. ..
- Roupas N, Mamali I, Maragkos S, Leonidou L, Armeni A, Markantes G, et al. The effect of prolonged aerobic exercise on serum adipokine levels during an ultra-marathon endurance race. Hormones (Athens). 2013;12:275-82 pubmed..Ultra-endurance aerobic exercise and acute negative energy balance lead to an up-regulation of serum resistin levels and a down-regulation of serum leptin levels. ..