Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on microbial drug resistance in Sweden
Topic: microbial drug resistance
- Radstrom P, Fermer C, Kristiansen B, Jenkins A, Skold O, Swedberg G. Transformational exchanges in the dihydropteroate synthase gene of Neisseria meningitidis: a novel mechanism for acquisition of sulfonamide resistance. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:6386-93 pubmed..The origin of the resistance-mediating segment of the gene is unknown, but hybridization results showed the presence of homologous dhps genes in Neisseria gonorrhoeae and N. lactamica but not in N. subflava or Branhamella catarrhalis. ..
- Lofmark S, Jernberg C, Billström H, Andersson D, Edlund C. Restored fitness leads to long-term persistence of resistant Bacteroides strains in the human intestine. Anaerobe. 2008;14:157-60 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that the biological cost associated with a resistance gene can rapidly be compensated during in vivo growth. Thus, once the resistant clone has gained its resistance determinant it will be difficult to eliminate. ..
- Bergsmedh A, Szeles A, Spetz A, Holmgren L. Loss of the p21(Cip1/Waf1) cyclin kinase inhibitor results in propagation of horizontally transferred DNA. Cancer Res. 2002;62:575-9 pubmed..These data indicate that p53, via the activation of p21, blocks normal cells from replicating transferred DNA from engulfed apoptotic bodies. This may be one protection level against the propagation of potentially pathological DNA. ..
- Skold O. Resistance to trimethoprim and sulfonamides. Vet Res. 2001;32:261-73 pubmed..This means that susceptibility will not return after suspending the use of sulfonamide and trimethoprim. ..
- Fermer C, Kristiansen B, Skold O, Swedberg G. Sulfonamide resistance in Neisseria meningitidis as defined by site-directed mutagenesis could have its origin in other species. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:4669-75 pubmed..This observation supports the idea of an interspecies transfer of genetic material in Neisseria species as a mechanism for the development of chromosomally mediated resistance. ..
- Matsson M, Ackrell B, Cochran B, Hederstedt L. Carboxin resistance in Paracoccus denitrificans conferred by a mutation in the membrane-anchor domain of succinate:quinone reductase. Arch Microbiol. 1998;170:27-37 pubmed..It is likely that this loop is located in the neighborhood of the [3Fe-4S] cluster...
- Kanter Smoler G, Knudsen K, Jimenez G, Sunnerhagen P, Subramani S. Separation of phenotypes in mutant alleles of the Schizosaccharomyces pombe cell-cycle checkpoint gene rad1+. Mol Biol Cell. 1995;6:1793-805 pubmed..Models for the action of these rad1 alleles are discussed. In addition, a putative negative regulatory domain of rad1 is identified. ..
- Unge J, Berg A, Al Kharadaghi S, Nikulin A, Nikonov S, Davydova N, et al. The crystal structure of ribosomal protein L22 from Thermus thermophilus: insights into the mechanism of erythromycin resistance. Structure. 1998;6:1577-86 pubmed..This region of the protein might be at the erythromycin-binding site close to the peptidyl transferase center, whereas the opposite end may be exposed to the cytoplasm...
- Torell E, Cars O, Hambraeus A. Ampicillin-resistant enterococci in a Swedish university hospital: nosocomial spread and risk factors for infection. Scand J Infect Dis. 2001;33:182-7 pubmed..Infection control measures focusing on protecting patients at high risk for ARE infections and further efforts to optimize antimicrobial use are proposed. ..
- Diez A, Gustavsson N, Nystr m T. The universal stress protein A of Escherichia coli is required for resistance to DNA damaging agents and is regulated by a RecA/FtsK-dependent regulatory pathway. Mol Microbiol. 2000;36:1494-503 pubmed..Moreover, the UV sensitivity of uspA mutants is enhanced in an additive manner by the ftsK1 mutation...
- Swedberg G, Ringertz S, Sk ld O. Sulfonamide resistance in Streptococcus pyogenes is associated with differences in the amino acid sequence of its chromosomal dihydropteroate synthase. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:1062-7 pubmed..Kinetic measurements established different affinities for sulfathiazole for DHPS enzymes isolated from resistant and susceptible strains...
- Hanberger H, Diekema D, Fluit A, Jones R, Struelens M, Spencer R, et al. Surveillance of antibiotic resistance in European ICUs. J Hosp Infect. 2001;48:161-76 pubmed..Antibiotic intervention policies, efficient infection control measures and an overall awareness of the serious implications at public health level will contribute to the management of antibiotic resistance. ..
- Bjorkman J, Samuelsson P, Andersson D, Hughes D. Novel ribosomal mutations affecting translational accuracy, antibiotic resistance and virulence of Salmonella typhimurium. Mol Microbiol. 1999;31:53-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that such compensations do not require that the compensating rpsD allele has a ribosomal ambiguity (ram) phenotype. ..
- Sundstrom L, Radstrom P, Swedberg G, Skold O. Site-specific recombination promotes linkage between trimethoprim- and sulfonamide resistance genes. Sequence characterization of dhfrV and sulI and a recombination active locus of Tn21. Mol Gen Genet. 1988;213:191-201 pubmed..Similar structures were found at the 3' ends of the antibiotic resistance genes in Tn7, which could indicate similar recombination mechanisms to be effective in the evolutionary construction of all these different resistance elements. ..
- Abdulkarim F, Tuohy T, Buckingham R, Hughes D. Missense substitutions lethal to essential functions of EF-Tu. Biochimie. 1991;73:1457-64 pubmed..The lethal mutations occur in all three structural domains of EF-Tu, but most are in domain II. We aim to use these mutants to define functional domains on EF-Tu. ..
- Qian H, Sahlman L, Eriksson P, Hambraeus C, Edlund U, Sethson I. NMR solution structure of the oxidized form of MerP, a mercuric ion binding protein involved in bacterial mercuric ion resistance. Biochemistry. 1998;37:9316-22 pubmed..Structural differences between the oxidized and reduced forms may help explain why the reduced form is stable in the periplasm, which is considered to be an oxidizing environment. ..