Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
Publications913 found, 100 shown here
- Wylie S, Chantler P. Myosin IIA drives neurite retraction. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4654-66 pubmed..In contrast, Y27632 did not inhibit outgrowth, a myosin IIB-dependent process. We conclude that the conventional myosin motor, myosin IIA, drives neurite retraction. ..
- Fotaki V, Yu T, Zaki P, Mason J, Price D. Abnormal positioning of diencephalic cell types in neocortical tissue in the dorsal telencephalon of mice lacking functional Gli3. J Neurosci. 2006;26:9282-92 pubmed..We propose that Gli3 is indispensable for formation of an intact telencephalic-diencephalic boundary and for preventing the abnormal positioning of diencephalic cells in the dorsal telencephalon. ..
- Wang X, Hayes J, Henderson C, Wolf C. Identification of retinoic acid as an inhibitor of transcription factor Nrf2 through activation of retinoic acid receptor alpha. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19589-94 pubmed..These data suggest that cross-talk between Nrf2 and RARalpha could markedly influence the sensitivity of cells to electrophiles and oxidative stressors and, as a consequence, to carcinogenesis. ..
- Granata A, Watson R, Collinson L, Schiavo G, Warner T. The dystonia-associated protein torsinA modulates synaptic vesicle recycling. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7568-79 pubmed publisher..This may affect neuronal uptake of neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, playing a role in the development of dystonic movements...
- Ning K, Miller L, Laidlaw H, Watterson K, Gallagher J, Sutherland C, et al. Leptin-dependent phosphorylation of PTEN mediates actin restructuring and activation of ATP-sensitive K+ channels. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9331-40 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a significant role for PTEN in leptin signal transmission and identify GSK3 as a potential important signaling node contributing to divergent outputs for these hormones. ..
- Morris S, Teo R, Li H, Robson P, Glover D, Zernicka Goetz M. Origin and formation of the first two distinct cell types of the inner cell mass in the mouse embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:6364-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we propose a model in which the timing of cell internalization, cell position, and cell sorting combine to determine distinct lineages of the preimplantation mouse embryo. ..
- Howells L, Britton R, Mazzoletti M, Greaves P, Broggini M, Brown K, et al. Preclinical colorectal cancer chemopreventive efficacy and p53-modulating activity of 3',4',5'-trimethoxyflavonol, a quercetin analogue. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010;3:929-39 pubmed publisher..TMFol was not mutagenic in the Ames test. The results suggest that chemical modification of the flavonol structure may generate safe and efficacious cancer chemopreventive agents. ..
- Benelkebir H, Marie S, Hayden A, Lyle J, Loadman P, Crabb S, et al. Total synthesis of largazole and analogues: HDAC inhibition, antiproliferative activity and metabolic stability. Bioorg Med Chem. 2011;19:3650-8 pubmed publisher..The antiproliferative activity is driven by lipophilicity and cell permeability. In murine liver homogenates, largazole is rapidly metabolized (half-life ?5 min) to the thiol which has a half-life of 51 min. ..
- Klaas M, Oetke C, Lewis L, Erwig L, Heikema A, Easton A, et al. Sialoadhesin promotes rapid proinflammatory and type I IFN responses to a sialylated pathogen, Campylobacter jejuni. J Immunol. 2012;189:2414-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that Sn plays a key role in capturing sialylated pathogens and promoting rapid proinflammatory cytokine and type I IFN responses. ..
- Desanti G, Cowan J, Baik S, Parnell S, White A, Penninger J, et al. Developmentally regulated availability of RANKL and CD40 ligand reveals distinct mechanisms of fetal and adult cross-talk in the thymus medulla. J Immunol. 2012;189:5519-26 pubmed publisher..They also suggest a stepwise process of mTEC development, in which RANK is a master player in controlling the availability of other TNFR family members. ..
- Slingsby C, Wistow G, Clark A. Evolution of crystallins for a role in the vertebrate eye lens. Protein Sci. 2013;22:367-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we show some of the structural and genetic features of these two protein superfamilies that enable the rapid creation of different assembly states, to match the rapidly changing optical needs among the various vertebrates. ..
- Dick G, Tan C, Alves J, Ehlert E, Miller G, Hsieh Wilson L, et al. Semaphorin 3A binds to the perineuronal nets via chondroitin sulfate type E motifs in rodent brains. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27384-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, Sema3A binding to CS-E in the PNNs may be a mechanism whereby PNNs restrict growth and plasticity and may represent a possible point of intervention to facilitate neuronal plasticity. ..
- van der Stegen S, Davies D, Wilkie S, Foster J, Sosabowski J, Burnet J, et al. Preclinical in vivo modeling of cytokine release syndrome induced by ErbB-retargeted human T cells: identifying a window of therapeutic opportunity?. J Immunol. 2013;191:4589-98 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our findings argue that ErbB-retargeted T cells can achieve therapeutic benefit in the absence of unacceptable toxicity, providing that route of administration and dose are carefully optimized. ..
- Silva Vargas V, Lo Celso C, Giangreco A, Ofstad T, Prowse D, Braun K, et al. Beta-catenin and Hedgehog signal strength can specify number and location of hair follicles in adult epidermis without recruitment of bulge stem cells. Dev Cell. 2005;9:121-31 pubmed
- Castillo L, MacCallum D, Brown A, Gow N, Odds F. Differential regulation of kidney and spleen cytokine responses in mice challenged with pathology-standardized doses of Candida albicans mannosylation mutants. Infect Immun. 2011;79:146-52 pubmed publisher..We conclude that complex, multifactorial local responses offset and obscure any differences resulting from differences in surface mannosylation of C. albicans strains when infection results from pathology-standardized challenges. ..
- Ross F, Rafferty J, Dallas M, Ogunbayo O, Ikematsu N, McClafferty H, et al. Selective expression in carotid body type I cells of a single splice variant of the large conductance calcium- and voltage-activated potassium channel confers regulation by AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:11929-36 pubmed publisher..Conditional regulation of BKCa channel splice variants by AMPK may therefore determine the response of carotid body type I cells to hypoxia. ..
- Tatler A, John A, Jolly L, Habgood A, Porte J, Brightling C, et al. Integrin ?v?5-mediated TGF-? activation by airway smooth muscle cells in asthma. J Immunol. 2011;187:6094-107 pubmed publisher..These data highlight a mechanism of TGF-? activation in asthma and support the hypothesis that bronchoconstriction promotes airway remodeling via integrin mediated TGF-? activation. ..
- Macfarlane W, Smith S, James R, Clifton A, Doza Y, Cohen P, et al. The p38/reactivating kinase mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade mediates the activation of the transcription factor insulin upstream factor 1 and insulin gene transcription by high glucose in pancreatic beta-cells. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:20936-44 pubmed..SAPK2 then activates IUF1 indirectly by activating a novel IUF1-activating enzyme. ..
- MacVinish L, Goddard C, Colledge W, Higgins C, Evans M, Cuthbert A. Normalization of ion transport in murine cystic fibrosis nasal epithelium using gene transfer. Am J Physiol. 1997;273:C734-40 pubmed..Amiloride-sensitive SCC was reduced by transfection but failed to reach significance. The similarity of murine CF nasal epithelium to that in human CF airways makes the model valuable for gene therapy studies...
- de Vinuesa C, Cook M, Ball J, Drew M, Sunners Y, Cascalho M, et al. Germinal centers without T cells. J Exp Med. 2000;191:485-94 pubmed..Thus, there is a fail-safe mechanism against autoreactivity, even in the event of thymus-independent germinal center formation. ..
- Smart F, Venkitaraman A. Inhibition of interleukin 7 receptor signaling by antigen receptor assembly. J Exp Med. 2000;191:737-42 pubmed..Our findings identify a novel mechanism that limits cytokine-dependent proliferation during B lymphopoiesis. This mechanism may be essential for the proper regulation of peripheral B lymphocyte numbers. ..
- Walzl G, Tafuro S, Moss P, Openshaw P, Hussell T. Influenza virus lung infection protects from respiratory syncytial virus-induced immunopathology. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1317-26 pubmed..The data have important implications for the timing of vaccinations in certain patient groups, and may contribute to variability in disease susceptibility observed in humans. ..
- Govind S, Kozma R, Monfries C, Lim L, Ahmed S. Cdc42Hs facilitates cytoskeletal reorganization and neurite outgrowth by localizing the 58-kD insulin receptor substrate to filamentous actin. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:579-94 pubmed..These results suggest that Cdc42Hs facilitates cytoskeletal reorganization and neurite outgrowth by localizing protein complexes via adaptor proteins such as IRS-58 to F-actin. ..
- Williams H, Johnson J, Carson K, Jackson C. Characteristics of intact and ruptured atherosclerotic plaques in brachiocephalic arteries of apolipoprotein E knockout mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002;22:788-92 pubmed..The data also show that ruptured plaques in these mice show many of the characteristics of vulnerable plaques in humans. This supports the use of this model in studies of the mechanisms and therapy of plaque rupture...
- Boitelle A, Scales H, Di Lorenzo C, Devaney E, Kennedy M, Garside P, et al. Investigating the impact of helminth products on immune responsiveness using a TCR transgenic adoptive transfer system. J Immunol. 2003;171:447-54 pubmed..This inhibition was associated with a reduced proliferative capacity of these cells in vivo, distinct from anergy. ..
- Wong K, Carpenter M, Young L, Walker S, McKenzie G, Rust A, et al. Notch ligation by Delta1 inhibits peripheral immune responses to transplantation antigens by a CD8+ cell-dependent mechanism. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:1741-50 pubmed..These data implicate Notch signaling in regulation of peripheral immunity and suggest a novel approach for manipulating deleterious immune responses. ..
- Villalonga P, Guasch R, Riento K, Ridley A. RhoE inhibits cell cycle progression and Ras-induced transformation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:7829-40 pubmed..RhoE also inhibited Ras- and Raf-induced fibroblast transformation. These results indicate that RhoE inhibits cell cycle progression upstream of the pRb checkpoint. ..
- Popova B, Tada T, Takagi N, Brockdorff N, Nesterova T. Attenuated spread of X-inactivation in an X;autosome translocation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:7706-11 pubmed..Our findings provide direct evidence that underlying chromosome/chromatin features can disrupt spreading of the primary inactivating signal. ..
- Halet G, Carroll J. Rac activity is polarized and regulates meiotic spindle stability and anchoring in mammalian oocytes. Dev Cell. 2007;12:309-17 pubmed..These results demonstrate that Rac-GTP plays a major role in oocyte meiosis, via the regulation of spindle stability and anchoring to the cortex. ..
- Tolmachova T, Abrink M, Futter C, Authi K, Seabra M. Rab27b regulates number and secretion of platelet dense granules. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5872-7 pubmed..The morphology and function of platelet alpha-granules were unaffected. Our data suggest that Rab27b is a key regulator of dense granule secretion in platelets and thus a candidate gene for delta-storage pool deficiency in humans. ..
- Tan Wong S, French J, Proudfoot N, Brown M. Dynamic interactions between the promoter and terminator regions of the mammalian BRCA1 gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5160-5 pubmed publisher..Significantly, BRCA1 promoter and terminator interactions vary in different breast cancer cell lines, indicating that defects in BRCA1 chromatin structure may contribute to dysregulated expression of BRCA1 seen in breast tumors. ..
- Reyes Sandoval A, Wyllie D, Bauza K, Milicic A, Forbes E, Rollier C, et al. CD8+ T effector memory cells protect against liver-stage malaria. J Immunol. 2011;187:1347-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify persistent CD8 T(EM) populations as essential for vaccine-induced pre-erythrocytic protection against malaria, a finding that has important implications for vaccine design. ..
- Terrando N, Eriksson L, Ryu J, Yang T, Monaco C, Feldmann M, et al. Resolving postoperative neuroinflammation and cognitive decline. Ann Neurol. 2011;70:986-995 pubmed publisher..Pivotal molecular mechanisms can be targeted to prevent and/or resolve postoperative neuroinflammation and cognitive decline. ..
- Colley T, Alanio A, Kelly S, Sehra G, Kizawa Y, Warrilow A, et al. In Vitro and In Vivo Antifungal Profile of a Novel and Long-Acting Inhaled Azole, PC945, on Aspergillus fumigatus Infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..56 Î¼g/mouse, while posaconazole showed similar effects (44%) at 14 Î¼g/mouse. This profile affirms that topical treatment with PC945 should provide potent antifungal activity in the lung. ..
- Miles J, Moss J, Taylor B, Burchell B, Wolf C. Mapping genes encoding drug-metabolizing enzymes in recombinant inbred mice. Genomics. 1991;11:309-16 pubmed..No RFLVs were detected with probes for P450IID, P450 reductase, androsterone-metabolizing UDPGT, GST mu, or microsomal GST. ..
- Wallis J, Fox M, Walsh F. Structure of the human N-cadherin gene: YAC analysis and fine chromosomal mapping to 18q11.2. Genomics. 1994;22:172-9 pubmed..The first and second introns of the gene are large, a property conserved between the mouse and human genes. In situ hybridization with YAC DNA refined the map position of N-cadherin to human chromosome 18q11.2. ..
- Hill P, Tumber A, Papaioannou S, Meikle M. The cellular actions of interleukin-11 on bone resorption in vitro. Endocrinology. 1998;139:1564-72 pubmed..Our data also suggest that the stimulatory effects of IL-11 involve both MMPs and products of arachidonic acid metabolism. ..
- Raynaud F, Boxall F, Goddard P, Valenti M, Jones M, Murrer B, et al. cis-Amminedichloro(2-methylpyridine) platinum(II) (AMD473), a novel sterically hindered platinum complex: in vivo activity, toxicology, and pharmacokinetics in mice. Clin Cancer Res. 1997;3:2063-74 pubmed..AMD473 is entering Phase I clinical trials under the auspices of the United Kingdom Cancer Research Campaign in 1997. ..
- Raisky O, Morrison K, Obadia J, McGregor J, Yacoub M, Rose M. Acute rejection and cardiac graft vasculopathy in the absence of donor-derived ICAM-1 or P-selectin. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2001;20:340-9 pubmed..Indeed, the absence of P-selectin may exacerbate alloimmune injury. ..
- Akhtar N, Hotchin N. RAC1 regulates adherens junctions through endocytosis of E-cadherin. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:847-62 pubmed..Our data suggest that Rac1 regulates adherens junctions via clathrin independent endocytosis of E-cadherin...
- Sugden M, Bulmer K, Gibbons G, Holness M. Role of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha in the mechanism underlying changes in renal pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase isoform 4 protein expression in starvation and after refeeding. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001;395:246-52 pubmed
- Inman G, Nicolás F, Hill C. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of Smads 2, 3, and 4 permits sensing of TGF-beta receptor activity. Mol Cell. 2002;10:283-94 pubmed..Our data therefore explain how, at all times, the concentration of active Smads in the nucleus is directly dictated by the levels of activated receptors in the cytoplasm. ..
- Valverde Garduno V, Guyot B, Anguita E, Hamlett I, Porcher C, Vyas P. Differences in the chromatin structure and cis-element organization of the human and mouse GATA1 loci: implications for cis-element identification. Blood. 2004;104:3106-16 pubmed..These findings suggest that some cis-elements regulating human and mouse GATA1 genes differ. More generally, mouse human sequence comparison may fail to identify all cis-elements. ..
- Herzog B, Cardenas J, Hall R, Villena J, Budge P, Giguere V, et al. Estrogen-related receptor alpha is a repressor of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase gene transcription. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:99-106 pubmed
- Larke N, Murphy A, Wirblich C, Teoh D, Estcourt M, McMichael A, et al. Induction of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-specific T cells by a bluetongue virus tubule-vectored vaccine prime-recombinant modified virus Ankara boost regimen. J Virol. 2005;79:14822-33 pubmed..Its usefulness in primates, including humans, remains to be determined. ..
- Coffey P, Gias C, McDermott C, Lundh P, Pickering M, Sethi C, et al. Complement factor H deficiency in aged mice causes retinal abnormalities and visual dysfunction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:16651-6 pubmed..Collectively, these data show that, in the absence of any specific exogenous challenge to the innate immune system, CFH is critically required for the long-term functional health of the retina. ..
- Fox V, Gokhale P, Walsh J, Matin M, Jones M, Andrews P. Cell-cell signaling through NOTCH regulates human embryonic stem cell proliferation. Stem Cells. 2008;26:715-23 pubmed..The results indicate that cell-cell signaling through the NOTCH system provides a critical cue for the proliferation of human EC and ES cell in vitro. ..
- Abraham S, Kogata N, Fassler R, Adams R. Integrin beta1 subunit controls mural cell adhesion, spreading, and blood vessel wall stability. Circ Res. 2008;102:562-70 pubmed publisher..Similarly, mutant pericytes are poorly spread but present in larger numbers. Our analysis of this mutant model shows that integrin beta1-mediated cell-matrix adhesion is a major determinant of the mural cell phenotype. ..
- Pellegrin S, Mellor H. Rho GTPase activation assays. Curr Protoc Cell Biol. 2008;Chapter 14:Unit 14.8 pubmed publisher..This unit describes the techniques for preparing the reagents required for assays of RhoA, Rac, and Cdc42 and gives practical tips for the successful application of the assay in a range of situations. ..
- Wulff P, Ponomarenko A, Bartos M, Korotkova T, Fuchs E, Bähner F, et al. Hippocampal theta rhythm and its coupling with gamma oscillations require fast inhibition onto parvalbumin-positive interneurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:3561-6 pubmed publisher..Similar alterations in rhythmic activity were obtained in a computational hippocampal network model mimicking the genetic modification, suggesting that intrahippocampal networks might contribute to these effects. ..
- Wallace A, Sales K, Catalano R, Anderson R, Williams A, Wilson M, et al. Prostaglandin F2alpha-F-prostanoid receptor signaling promotes neutrophil chemotaxis via chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 1 in endometrial adenocarcinoma. Cancer Res. 2009;69:5726-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results show a novel PGF(2alpha)-FP pathway that may regulate the inflammatory microenvironment in endometrial adenocarcinoma via neutrophil chemotaxis. ..
- Waugh C, Sinclair L, Finlay D, Bayascas J, Cantrell D. Phosphoinositide (3,4,5)-triphosphate binding to phosphoinositide-dependent kinase 1 regulates a protein kinase B/Akt signaling threshold that dictates T-cell migration, not proliferation. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:5952-62 pubmed publisher..Low levels of PKB activity can be sufficient for T-cell proliferation but insufficient to initiate the migratory program of effector T cells. ..
- Heanue T, Pachnis V. Prospective identification and isolation of enteric nervous system progenitors using Sox2. Stem Cells. 2011;29:128-40 pubmed publisher..Our studies will facilitate development of cell replacement strategies in animal models, critical to develop human cell replacement therapies for HSCR. ..
- Gill J, Savolainen M, Young G, Zwart R, Sher E, Millar N. Agonist activation of alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors via an allosteric transmembrane site. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:5867-72 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide evidence that agonist activation of nAChRs can occur via an allosteric transmembrane site. ..
- Williamson C, Ball S, Dawson C, Mehta S, Beechey C, Fray M, et al. Uncoupling antisense-mediated silencing and DNA methylation in the imprinted Gnas cluster. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1001347 pubmed publisher..These results have broad implications for understanding the hierarchy of events in epigenetic silencing by macroRNAs. ..
- Ross E, Coughlan R, Flores Langarica A, Bobat S, Marshall J, Hussain K, et al. CD31 is required on CD4+ T cells to promote T cell survival during Salmonella infection. J Immunol. 2011;187:1553-65 pubmed publisher..This identifies a novel role for CD31 in regulating CD4 T cell homeostasis. ..
- Reimer M, McQueen J, Searcy L, Scullion G, Zonta B, Desmazieres A, et al. Rapid disruption of axon-glial integrity in response to mild cerebral hypoperfusion. J Neurosci. 2011;31:18185-94 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that hypoperfusion leads to a rapid disruption of key proteins critical to the stability of the axon-glial connection that is mediated by a diversity of molecular events. ..
- Cristante E, McArthur S, Mauro C, Maggioli E, Romero I, Wylezinska Arridge M, et al. Identification of an essential endogenous regulator of blood-brain barrier integrity, and its pathological and therapeutic implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:832-41 pubmed publisher..We thus propose ANXA1 as a critical physiological regulator of BBB integrity and suggest it may have utility in the treatment of MS, correcting BBB function and hence ameliorating disease. ..
- Boldison J, Chu C, Copland D, Lait P, Khera T, Dick A, et al. Tissue-resident exhausted effector memory CD8+ T cells accumulate in the retina during chronic experimental autoimmune uveoretinitis. J Immunol. 2014;192:4541-50 pubmed publisher..They are phenotypically distinct from peripheral CD8(+) T cells and provide local signals within the tissue by expression of inhibitory receptors such as programmed death 1 that limit persistent inflammation. ..
- Sinclair C, Seddon B. Overlapping and asymmetric functions of TCR signaling during thymic selection of CD4 and CD8 lineages. J Immunol. 2014;192:5151-9 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a parallel requirement for TCR-mediated survival signaling, but an asymmetric requirement for TCR-mediated maturation signals. ..
- Kretzschmar K, Watt F. Markers of epidermal stem cell subpopulations in adult mammalian skin. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2014;4: pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the different stem cell compartments of adult murine and human epidermis, the markers that they express, and the assays that are used to characterize epidermal stem cell properties. ..
- Burgar H, Burns H, Elsden J, Lalioti M, Heath J. Association of the signaling adaptor FRS2 with fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (Fgfr1) is mediated by alternative splicing of the juxtamembrane domain. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:4018-23 pubmed..Activation of signaling pathways from FRS2 is likely to be regulated by controlling the Fgfr1/FRS2 interaction through alternative splicing of the VT motif of Fgfr1. ..
- Fazakerley J. Pathogenesis of Semliki Forest virus encephalitis. J Neurovirol. 2002;8 Suppl 2:66-74 pubmed..Lesions of inflammatory demyelination require the presence of CD8(+) T lymphocytes and probably result from destruction by these cells of virally infected oligodendrocytes. ..
- Henderson C, Otto D, Carrie D, Magnuson M, McLaren A, Rosewell I, et al. Inactivation of the hepatic cytochrome P450 system by conditional deletion of hepatic cytochrome P450 reductase. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:13480-6 pubmed
- Theodossiou T, Hothersall J, Woods E, Okkenhaug K, Jacobson J, MacRobert A. Firefly luciferin-activated rose bengal: in vitro photodynamic therapy by intracellular chemiluminescence in transgenic NIH 3T3 cells. Cancer Res. 2003;63:1818-21 pubmed..Here we show the in vitro photodynamic effect of rose bengal activated by intracellular generation of light, in luciferase-transfected NIH 3T3 murine fibroblasts. ..
- Randall R, Howell M, Page C, Daly A, Bates P, Hill C. Recognition of phosphorylated-Smad2-containing complexes by a novel Smad interaction motif. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:1106-21 pubmed..This establishes a hierarchy of Smad-interacting transcription factors, determined by their affinity for active Smad complexes. ..
- Murtuza B, Suzuki K, Bou Gharios G, Beauchamp J, Smolenski R, Partridge T, et al. Transplantation of skeletal myoblasts secreting an IL-1 inhibitor modulates adverse remodeling in infarcted murine myocardium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:4216-21 pubmed
- Lauder A, Jolin H, Smith P, Van Den Berg J, Jones A, Wisden W, et al. Lymphomagenesis, hydronephrosis, and autoantibodies result from dysregulation of IL-9 and are differentially dependent on Th2 cytokines. J Immunol. 2004;173:113-22 pubmed..Our data highlight potentially important new roles for IL-9, through its regulation of downstream Th2 effector cytokines, in autoantibody production and in hydronephrosis. ..
- Cailhier J, Partolina M, Vuthoori S, Wu S, Ko K, Watson S, et al. Conditional macrophage ablation demonstrates that resident macrophages initiate acute peritoneal inflammation. J Immunol. 2005;174:2336-42 pubmed..These studies indicate a key role for resident peritoneal Mphi in sensing perturbation to the peritoneal microenvironment and regulating PMN infiltration. ..
- Hughes D, Mackie M, Nagy G, Riddell J, Maxwell D, Szabo G, et al. P boutons in lamina IX of the rodent spinal cord express high levels of glutamic acid decarboxylase-65 and originate from cells in deep medial dorsal horn. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:9038-43 pubmed..They also provide a means of identifying P boutons that will be important in studies of the organization of presynaptic control of Ia afferents. ..
- Zhang Y, Bo X, Schoepfer R, Holtmaat A, Verhaagen J, Emson P, et al. Growth-associated protein GAP-43 and L1 act synergistically to promote regenerative growth of Purkinje cell axons in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:14883-8 pubmed
- Patel B, Gingras A, Bobkov A, Fujimoto L, Zhang M, Liddington R, et al. The activity of the vinculin binding sites in talin is influenced by the stability of the helical bundles that make up the talin rod. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:7458-67 pubmed..We conclude that the stability of the helical bundles that make up the talin rod is an important factor determining the activity of the individual VBSs. ..
- Maywood E, Reddy A, Wong G, O Neill J, O Brien J, McMahon D, et al. Synchronization and maintenance of timekeeping in suprachiasmatic circadian clock cells by neuropeptidergic signaling. Curr Biol. 2006;16:599-605 pubmed..Hence, neuropeptidergic interneuronal signaling confers a canonical property upon the SCN: spontaneous synchronization of the intracellular molecular clockworks of individual neurons. ..
- Martin F, Verdu E, Wang Y, Dumas M, Yap I, Cloarec O, et al. Transgenomic metabolic interactions in a mouse disease model: interactions of Trichinella spiralis infection with dietary Lactobacillus paracasei supplementation. J Proteome Res. 2006;5:2185-93 pubmed..The work presented here suggests that probiotics may be beneficial in patients with IBS. ..
- Batterham R, Heffron H, Kapoor S, Chivers J, Chandarana K, Herzog H, et al. Critical role for peptide YY in protein-mediated satiation and body-weight regulation. Cell Metab. 2006;4:223-33 pubmed..Our findings suggest that modulating the release of endogenous satiety factors, such as PYY, through alteration of specific diet constituents could provide a rational therapy for obesity. ..
- Ross E, Freeman S, Zhao Y, Dhanjal T, Ross E, Lax S, et al. A novel role for PECAM-1 (CD31) in regulating haematopoietic progenitor cell compartmentalization between the peripheral blood and bone marrow. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2338 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a novel role for PECAM-1 as a regulator of resting homeostatic progenitor cell numbers in the blood. ..
- Filis P, Lannagan T, Thomson A, Murray A, Kind P, Spears N. Phospholipase C-beta1 signaling affects reproductive behavior, ovulation, and implantation. Endocrinology. 2009;150:3259-66 pubmed publisher..5 exhibiting abnormal morphology. In addition, uteri of pregnant Plc-beta1 KO females exhibited an implantation defect, with poor embryo attachment and a failure to up-regulate cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA. ..
- Sadej R, Romanska H, Baldwin G, Gkirtzimanaki K, Novitskaya V, Filer A, et al. CD151 regulates tumorigenesis by modulating the communication between tumor cells and endothelium. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:787-98 pubmed publisher..These results also identify CD151 as a potentially novel prognostic marker and target for therapy in breast cancer. ..
- Schwarzer S, Nobles M, Tinker A. Do caveolae have a role in the fidelity and dynamics of receptor activation of G-protein-gated inwardly rectifying potassium channels?. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27817-26 pubmed publisher..The presence of G(s)alpha solely in caveolae may account for signaling selectivity between G(i/o) and G(s)-coupled receptors...
- Arwert E, Lal R, Quist S, Rosewell I, Van Rooijen N, Watt F. Tumor formation initiated by nondividing epidermal cells via an inflammatory infiltrate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19903-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast, our studies show that differentiated epidermal cells can initiate tumor formation without reacquiring the ability to divide and that they do so by triggering an inflammatory infiltrate. ..
- Banks G, Haas M, Line S, Shepherd H, AlQatari M, Stewart S, et al. Behavioral and other phenotypes in a cytoplasmic Dynein light intermediate chain 1 mutant mouse. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5483-94 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the important role that dynein-controlled processes play in the correct development and function of the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Keune W, Jones D, Divecha N. PtdIns5P and Pin1 in oxidative stress signaling. Adv Biol Regul. 2013;53:179-89 pubmed publisher..The decrease in the expression of these genes manifested itself in the increased accumulation of cellular ROS. These data strongly argue that PtdIns5P acts as a stress-induced second messenger that can calibrate how cells manage ROS. ..
- Lange A, Haitchi H, Lecras T, Sridharan A, Xu Y, Wert S, et al. Sox17 is required for normal pulmonary vascular morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2014;387:109-20 pubmed publisher..The severity of the postnatal cardiac phenotype was correlated with the severity of pulmonary vasculature abnormalities. Sox17 is required for normal formation of the pulmonary vasculature and postnatal cardiovascular homeostasis. ..
- Trivedi S, Newson J, Rajakariar R, Jacques T, Hannon R, Kanaoka Y, et al. Essential role for hematopoietic prostaglandin D2 synthase in the control of delayed type hypersensitivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5179-84 pubmed..Consequently, hPGD(2)S-derived cyclopentenone PGs may protect against inflammatory diseases, where T lymphocytes play a pathogenic role, as in rheumatoid arthritis, atopic eczema, and chronic rejection. ..
- Prosser H, Rzadzinska A, Steel K, Bradley A. Mosaic complementation demonstrates a regulatory role for myosin VIIa in actin dynamics of stereocilia. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1702-12 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that myosin VIIa regulates the establishment of a setpoint for stereocilium heights, and this novel role may influence their normal staircase-like arrangement within a bundle. ..