Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mice in Belgium
Publications753 found, 100 shown here
- Dejager L, Libert C, Montagutelli X. Thirty years of Mus spretus: a promising future. Trends Genet. 2009;25:234-41 pubmed publisher..Here, we examine the use of M. spretus from these perspectives. The impending completion of the M. spretus genome sequence will synergize these advantages...
- Atemnkeng M, Chimanuka B, Dejaegher B, Heyden Y, Plaizier Vercammen J. Evaluation of Artemisia annua infusion efficacy for the treatment of malaria in Plasmodium chabaudi chabaudi infected mice. Exp Parasitol. 2009;122:344-8 pubmed publisher..The tea does not decrease the parasitaemia fast enough. We suggest that large clinical trials on human subjects are necessary to ascertain the efficacy of standardized tea. Additionally, other treatment possibilities are suggested. ..
- Dobreva M, Pereira P, Deprest J, Zwijsen A. On the origin of amniotic stem cells: of mice and men. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:761-77 pubmed publisher..The profound differences in the development of the extraembryonic membranes and cavities between primates and rodents may result in comparing cell types of different developmental origins, eventually leading to missinterpretations. ..
- Mc Guire C, Volckaert T, Wolke U, Sze M, De Rycke R, Waisman A, et al. Oligodendrocyte-specific FADD deletion protects mice from autoimmune-mediated demyelination. J Immunol. 2010;185:7646-53 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data show that FADD is critical for ODC apoptosis and the development of autoimmune demyelinating disease. ..
- Lapouge G, Youssef K, Vokaer B, Achouri Y, Michaux C, Sotiropoulou P, et al. Identifying the cellular origin of squamous skin tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7431-6 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate that different epidermal lineages including bulge SC are competent to initiate papilloma formation and that multiple genetic hits in the context of oncogenic KRas are required for the development of invasive SCC. ..
- Martinet W, Schrijvers D, Timmermans J, Bult H, De Meyer G. Immunohistochemical analysis of macroautophagy: recommendations and limitations. Autophagy. 2013;9:386-402 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TEM remains an indispensable technique for in situ evaluation of macroautophagy, particularly in clinical samples for which genetic manipulation or other in vitro techniques are not feasible. ..
- Krammer E, Homble F, Prevost M. Molecular origin of VDAC selectivity towards inorganic ions: a combined molecular and Brownian dynamics study. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1828:1284-92 pubmed publisher..Altogether these results bolster the role of electrostatic features of the pore as the main determinant of VDAC selectivity towards inorganic anions. ..
- Hannon M, Lechanteur C, Lucas S, Somja J, Seidel L, Belle L, et al. Infusion of clinical-grade enriched regulatory T cells delays experimental xenogeneic graft-versus-host disease. Transfusion. 2014;54:353-63 pubmed publisher..1, 3.1, and 12.2% in spleen, marrow, and blood, respectively). Infusion of clinical-grade enriched Treg delayed the occurrence of xenogeneic GVHD without inducing toxicity in this murine model. ..
- Uyttenhove C, Simpson R, Van Snick J. Functional and structural characterization of P40, a mouse glycoprotein with T-cell growth factor activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:6934-8 pubmed..Of a number of cell lines, only helper T cells responded to P40, and this response was not mediated by either interleukin 2 or interleukin 4. ..
- Wuyts A, Haelens A, Proost P, Lenaerts J, Conings R, Opdenakker G, et al. Identification of mouse granulocyte chemotactic protein-2 from fibroblasts and epithelial cells. Functional comparison with natural KC and macrophage inflammatory protein-2. J Immunol. 1996;157:1736-43 pubmed..In view of the absence of a murine homologue for IL-8, NH2-terminally processed GCP-2 can be considered a major neutrophil chemoattractant in the mouse during the inflammatory response. ..
- Le Moine A, Surquin M, Demoor F, Noel J, Nahori M, Pretolani M, et al. IL-5 mediates eosinophilic rejection of MHC class II-disparate skin allografts in mice. J Immunol. 1999;163:3778-84 pubmed..We conclude that MHC class II-disparate skin allografts trigger an IL-5-dependent infiltration of eosinophils that is sufficient to result in acute graft destruction. ..
- Schurmans S, Carrio R, Behrends J, Pouillon V, Merino J, Clement S. The mouse SHIP2 (Inppl1) gene: complementary DNA, genomic structure, promoter analysis, and gene expression in the embryo and adult mouse. Genomics. 1999;62:260-71 pubmed..The subtle differences in the protein structure of SHIP2 and SHIP1 as well as their different patterns of expression are discussed. ..
- Annaert W, Esselens C, Baert V, Boeve C, Snellings G, Cupers P, et al. Interaction with telencephalin and the amyloid precursor protein predicts a ring structure for presenilins. Neuron. 2001;32:579-89 pubmed..Our data surprisingly indicate a spatial dissociation between the binding site and the proposed catalytic site near the critical aspartates in PSs. They provide important experimental evidence to support a ring structure model for PS. ..
- Van Herreweghe F, Mao J, Chaplen F, Grooten J, Gevaert K, Vandekerckhove J, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-induced modulation of glyoxalase I activities through phosphorylation by PKA results in cell death and is accompanied by the formation of a specific methylglyoxal-derived AGE. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:949-54 pubmed
- Mertens A, Verhamme P, Bielicki J, Phillips M, Quarck R, Verreth W, et al. Increased low-density lipoprotein oxidation and impaired high-density lipoprotein antioxidant defense are associated with increased macrophage homing and atherosclerosis in dyslipidemic obese mice: LCAT gene transfer decreases atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2003;107:1640-6 pubmed..Transient LCAT overexpression was associated with a reduction of oxidative stress and atherosclerosis. ..
- Dufour A, Seibt J, Passante L, Depaepe V, Ciossek T, Frisen J, et al. Area specificity and topography of thalamocortical projections are controlled by ephrin/Eph genes. Neuron. 2003;39:453-65 pubmed
- Clotman F, Libbrecht L, Gresh L, Yaniv M, Roskams T, Rousseau G, et al. Hepatic artery malformations associated with a primary defect in intrahepatic bile duct development. J Hepatol. 2003;39:686-92 pubmed..A primary defect in biliary epithelial cells is associated with hepatic artery malformations in mice. Our data provide a model to interpret and study hepatic artery anomalies in humans. ..
- Hansenne I, Rasier G, Pequeux C, Brilot F, Renard C, Breton C, et al. Ontogenesis and functional aspects of oxytocin and vasopressin gene expression in the thymus network. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;158:67-75 pubmed..In fetal thymic organ cultures, OTR antagonist d[D-Tyr(Et)2, Thr4]OVT increased early apoptosis of CD8 cells, while V1bR antagonist (Sanofi SSR149415) inhibited T-cell differentiation, and favored CD8 T-cell commitment. ..
- Serneels L, Dejaegere T, Craessaerts K, Horré K, Jorissen E, Tousseyn T, et al. Differential contribution of the three Aph1 genes to gamma-secretase activity in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1719-24 pubmed
- Daniel J, Marechal Y, Van Gool F, Andris F, Leo O. Nicotinamide inhibits B lymphocyte activation by disrupting MAPK signal transduction. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;73:831-42 pubmed
- de Man J, Boeckx S, Anguille S, de Winter B, De Schepper H, Herman A, et al. Functional study on TRPV1-mediated signalling in the mouse small intestine: involvement of tachykinin receptors. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2008;20:546-56 pubmed publisher..The TRPV1-mediated contraction does not involve activation of intrinsic enteric motor nerves. Of the TRPV1 antagonists tested, BCTC combined strong TRPV1 antagonism with TRPV1 selectivity. ..
- Vanlaere I, Vanderrijst A, Guenet J, De Filette M, Libert C. Mx1 causes resistance against influenza A viruses in the Mus spretus-derived inbred mouse strain SPRET/Ei. Cytokine. 2008;42:62-70 pubmed publisher..A2G-Mx1 mice. This effect may be due to different Mx1 induction levels, as was shown by RT-PCR and Western blot. We conclude that SPRET/Ei is a novel Mx1-positive inbred strain useful to study the biology of Mx1. ..
- Giang Ho T, Stultiens A, Dubail J, Lapiere C, Nusgens B, Colige A, et al. RhoGDI?-dependent balance between RhoA and RhoC is a key regulator of cancer cell tumorigenesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:3263-75 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the dynamic balance inside the RhoGTPase network and illustrates its biological relevance in cancer progression. ..
- Tran H, Delvaeye M, Verschuere V, Descamps E, Crabbe E, Van Hoorebeke L, et al. ARVCF depletion cooperates with Tbx1 deficiency in the development of 22q11.2DS-like phenotypes in Xenopus. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2680-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, double depletion of ARVCF and Tbx1 revealed that they act cooperatively, indicating that decreased ARVCF levels may also contribute to 22q11.2DS-associated phenotypes...
- Debock I, Jaworski K, Chadlaoui H, Delbauve S, Passon N, Twyffels L, et al. Neonatal follicular Th cell responses are impaired and modulated by IL-4. J Immunol. 2013;191:1231-9 pubmed publisher..This Th17-like profile correlated with an increased secretion of OVA-specific IgG2a. Our study thus suggests that defective humoral immunity in early life is associated with limited and IL-4-modulated TFH cell responses. ..
- Willart M, Poulliot P, Lambrecht B, Kool M. PAMPs and DAMPs in allergy exacerbation models. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1032:185-204 pubmed publisher..These inflammatory mediators can be analyzed by ELISA or confocal microscopy. Here, we describe the protocols for these assessments and a protocol that takes advantage of bone marrow chimeric mice to further elucidate mechanism. ..
- Neyt K, Lambrecht B. The role of lung dendritic cell subsets in immunity to respiratory viruses. Immunol Rev. 2013;255:57-67 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the activation of DCs and the function of lung DCs in the context of respiratory virus infection and highlights some cautionary points for interpreting older experiments. ..
- Le Cann F, Delehouze C, Leverrier Penna S, Filliol A, Comte A, Delalande O, et al. Sibiriline, a new small chemical inhibitor of receptor-interacting protein kinase 1, prevents immune-dependent hepatitis. FEBS J. 2017;284:3050-3068 pubmed publisher..Finally, Sib protects mice from concanavalin A-induced hepatitis. These results reveal the small-molecule Sib as a new RIPK1 inhibitor potentially of interest for the treatment of immune-dependent hepatitis...
- Renauld J, Goethals A, Houssiau F, Merz H, Van Roost E, Van Snick J. Human P40/IL-9. Expression in activated CD4+ T cells, genomic organization, and comparison with the mouse gene. J Immunol. 1990;144:4235-41 pubmed..The induction of P40 by anti-CD3 antibodies suggests that P40 production is part of the normal T cell response to antigenic stimulation. ..
- Overbergh L, Hilliker C, Lorent K, Van Leuven F, Van den Berghe H. Identification of four genes coding for isoforms of murinoglobulin, the monomeric mouse alpha 2-macroglobulin: characterization of the exons coding for the bait region. Genomics. 1994;22:530-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate a unique property of the bait region coding sequences, as they apparently are allowed to mutate considerably. This divergency must then confer divergent proteinase inhibitory properties to the resulting proteins. ..
- Bettendorff L, Wins P. Mechanism of thiamine transport in neuroblastoma cells. Inhibition of a high affinity carrier by sodium channel activators and dependence of thiamine uptake on membrane potential and intracellular ATP. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:14379-85 pubmed..These data suggest a secondary active transport of thiamine, the main driving force being thiamine phosphorylation rather than the sodium gradient. ..
- Houzet L, Morello D, Defrance P, Mercier P, Huez G, Kruys V. Regulated control by granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor AU-rich element during mouse embryogenesis. Blood. 2001;98:1281-8 pubmed..Altogether, these observations reveal that GM-CSF ARE is a developmentally controlled regulatory element and highlight the consequences of GM-CSF overexpression on myeloid cell proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Waelput W, Broekaert D, Vandekerckhove J, Brouckaert P, Tavernier J, Libert C. A mediator role for metallothionein in tumor necrosis factor-induced lethal shock. J Exp Med. 2001;194:1617-24 pubmed..In addition, ZnSO4 cotreatment allowed complete regression of inoculated tumors with TNF and interferon gamma, leading to a significantly better survival (P = 0.0045). ..
- Voets T, Prenen J, Vriens J, Watanabe H, Janssens A, Wissenbach U, et al. Molecular determinants of permeation through the cation channel TRPV4. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:33704-10 pubmed..Our findings delineate the pore region of TRPV4 and give a first insight into the possible architecture of its permeation pathway...
- Baatout S, Jacquet P, Michaux A, Buset J, Vankerkom J, Derradji H, et al. Developmental abnormalities induced by X-irradiation in p53 deficient mice. In Vivo. 2002;16:215-21 pubmed..In contrast to results published very recently by others, we found that malformed foetuses resulting from an X-irradiation with a low-dose during the highly sensitive period of gastrulation are able to survive to birth. ..
- Fernández Celemín L, Pasko N, Blomart V, Thissen J. Inhibition of muscle insulin-like growth factor I expression by tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002;283:E1279-90 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that TNF-alpha induced in muscle after LPS injection can locally inhibit IGF-I expression. The inhibition of muscle IGF-I production could contribute to the catabolic effect of TNF-alpha. ..
- Vankelecom H, Seuntjens E, Hauspie A, Denef C. Targeted ablation of gonadotrophs in transgenic mice depresses prolactin but not growth hormone gene expression at birth as measured by quantitative mRNA detection. J Biomed Sci. 2003;10:805-12 pubmed..In conclusion, the present data support the hypothesis that embryonic development of PRL gene expression is stimulated by gonadotrophs. ..
- Peeters H, Devriendt K. Human laterality disorders. Eur J Med Genet. 2006;49:349-62 pubmed
- Fordel E, Thijs L, Moens L, Dewilde S. Neuroglobin and cytoglobin expression in mice. Evidence for a correlation with reactive oxygen species scavenging. FEBS J. 2007;274:1312-7 pubmed..In addition, apoptotic cell death after hypoxia is for the first time demonstrated in heart and liver. ..
- Boyen F, Pasmans F, Van Immerseel F, Morgan E, Botteldoorn N, Heyndrickx M, et al. A limited role for SsrA/B in persistent Salmonella Typhimurium infections in pigs. Vet Microbiol. 2008;128:364-73 pubmed..These results suggest that the ssrA/B gene of Salmonella Typhimurium plays a limited role in the persistent intestinal colonization of pigs...
- Waeytens A, Ferdinande L, Neirynck S, Rottiers P, De Vos M, Steidler L, et al. Paracellular entry of interleukin-10 producing Lactococcus lactis in inflamed intestinal mucosa in mice. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2008;14:471-9 pubmed..We suggest that IL-10 production by L. lactis residing inside the mucosa in the vicinity of responsive cells can improve the local action of interleukin-10 in inflamed tissue and the efficiency of the treatment. ..
- Quintens R, Hendrickx N, Lemaire K, Schuit F. Why expression of some genes is disallowed in beta-cells. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008;36:300-5 pubmed publisher..For each of those, the future challenge is to explore the physiological/pathological relevance and study conditions under which the phenotypically disallowed state in the beta-cell is breached. ..
- Vrijens K, Van Camp G, Van Laer L. Characterization of the murine Dfna5 promoter and regulatory regions. Gene. 2009;432:82-90 pubmed publisher..Transfection with a reversely-oriented construct resulted in high transcriptional activity. We subsequently confirmed this antisense activity and identified a novel antisense transcript partly overlapping Dfna5. ..
- Calvo F, Fillet M, de Seny D, Meuwis M, Maree R, Crahay C, et al. Biomarker discovery in asthma-related inflammation and remodeling. Proteomics. 2009;9:2163-70 pubmed publisher..We report the identification of different five proteins: found inflammatory zone 1 or RELM alpha (FIZZ-1), calcyclin (S100A6), clara cell secretory protein 10 (CC10), Ubiquitin, and Histone H4. ..
- Vangestel C, Peeters M, Oltenfreiter R, D Asseler Y, Staelens S, Van Steenkiste M, et al. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of [99mTc]-labeled tricarbonyl His-annexin A5 as an imaging agent for the detection of phosphatidylserine-expressing cells. Nucl Med Biol. 2010;37:965-75 pubmed publisher..A simple, noninvasive way of detecting apoptosis in vivo could have many applications including a better understanding of the extent and timing of apoptosis in response to cancer therapies and assessment of early tumor response. ..
- Ruiz de Almodovar C, Coulon C, Salin P, Knevels E, Chounlamountri N, Poesen K, et al. Matrix-binding vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms guide granule cell migration in the cerebellum via VEGF receptor Flk1. J Neurosci. 2010;30:15052-66 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a previously unknown role for VEGF in neuronal migration...
- Hendrix S, Kramer P, Pehl D, Warnke K, Boato F, Nelissen S, et al. Mast cells protect from post-traumatic brain inflammation by the mast cell-specific chymase mouse mast cell protease-4. FASEB J. 2013;27:920-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that MCs exert protective functions after trauma, at least in part via mMCP-4, by suppressing exacerbated inflammation via their proteases. ..
- Naeye B, Deschout H, Caveliers V, Descamps B, Braeckmans K, Vanhove C, et al. In vivo disassembly of IV administered siRNA matrix nanoparticles at the renal filtration barrier. Biomaterials. 2013;34:2350-8 pubmed publisher..This clearance mechanism should therefore be taken into account when designing siRNA nanocarriers for intravenous administration. ..
- Callaerts Vegh Z, Moechars D, Van Acker N, Daneels G, Goris I, Leo S, et al. Haploinsufficiency of VGluT1 but not VGluT2 impairs extinction of spatial preference and response suppression. Behav Brain Res. 2013;245:13-21 pubmed publisher..Conversely, VGluT1(+/-) mice displayed spatial extinction learning deficits and markedly impaired fear extinction. These data indicate that VGluT1, but not VGluT2, plays a role in the neural processes underlying inhibitory learning. ..
- Hu J, Van Valckenborgh E, Xu D, Menu E, De Raeve H, De Bruyne E, et al. Synergistic induction of apoptosis in multiple myeloma cells by bortezomib and hypoxia-activated prodrug TH-302, in vivo and in vitro. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013;12:1763-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our studies provide a rationale for clinical evaluation of the combination of TH-302 and bortezomib in patients with multiple myeloma. ..
- Glynos C, Dupont L, Vassilakopoulos T, Papapetropoulos A, Brouckaert P, Giannis A, et al. The role of soluble guanylyl cyclase in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188:789-99 pubmed publisher..Activation of sGC by BAY 58-2667 restored the sGC signaling and attenuated bronchial hyperresponsiveness in CS-exposed mice. Down-regulation of sGC because of CS exposure might contribute to airflow limitation in COPD. ..
- Van Acker Z, Luyckx E, Van Leuven W, Geuens E, De Deyn P, Van Dam D, et al. Impaired hypoxic tolerance in APP23 mice: a dysregulation of neuroprotective globin levels. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1321-1332 pubmed publisher..Neuroglobin-cytoglobin-REST/NRSF expression correlations are detected mainly in the cortex. This raises the possibility of REST/NRSF being an upstream regulator of these globins. ..
- Sobis H, Verstuyf A, Vandeputte M. Visceral yolk sac-derived tumors. Int J Dev Biol. 1993;37:155-68 pubmed..Another mab, made against choriocarcinoma, was found to react specifically with the cytotrophoblast both in the normal placenta and in the tumor. No other placental cells showed a positive reaction. ..
- Scohy S, Gabant P, Szpirer C, Szpirer J. Identification of an enhancer and an alternative promoter in the first intron of the alpha-fetoprotein gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:3743-51 pubmed
- Debeer P, Schoenmakers E, Twal W, Argraves W, De Smet L, Fryns J, et al. The fibulin-1 gene (FBLN1) is disrupted in a t(12;22) associated with a complex type of synpolydactyly. J Med Genet. 2002;39:98-104 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose that the t(12;22) results in haploinsufficiency of the FBLN1-D variant, which could lead to the observed limb malformations. ..
- VandenDriessche T, Thorrez L, Naldini L, Follenzi A, Moons L, Berneman Z, et al. Lentiviral vectors containing the human immunodeficiency virus type-1 central polypurine tract can efficiently transduce nondividing hepatocytes and antigen-presenting cells in vivo. Blood. 2002;100:813-22 pubmed..In addition, these improved lentiviral vectors could potentially be useful for genetic vaccination and treatment of perinatal cardiac disorders. ..
- Bonnier C, Mesples B, Carpentier S, Henin D, Gressens P. Delayed white matter injury in a murine model of shaken baby syndrome. Brain Pathol. 2002;12:320-8 pubmed..This study showed that shaking immature mice produced white matter injury mimicking several aspects of human shaken baby syndrome and provided evidence that excess release of glutamate plays a role in the pathophysiology of the lesions. ..
- Uyttenhove C, Pilotte L, Theate I, Stroobant V, Colau D, Parmentier N, et al. Evidence for a tumoral immune resistance mechanism based on tryptophan degradation by indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase. Nat Med. 2003;9:1269-74 pubmed..These results suggest that the efficacy of therapeutic vaccination of cancer patients might be improved by concomitant administration of an IDO inhibitor. ..
- Zabeau L, Defeau D, Iserentant H, Vandekerckhove J, Peelman F, Tavernier J. Leptin receptor activation depends on critical cysteine residues in its fibronectin type III subdomains. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22632-40 pubmed..We propose a model wherein leptin-induced clustering of two preformed dimers forms the activated LR complex. Disulfide bridge formation involving Cys-672 and Cys-751 may be necessary for JAK activation and hence signaling. ..
- Buts J, Bernasconi P. Saccharomyces boulardii: basic science and clinical applications in gastroenterology. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2005;34:515-32, x pubmed
- Goossens S, Janssens B, Bonne S, De Rycke R, Braet F, van Hengel J, et al. A unique and specific interaction between alphaT-catenin and plakophilin-2 in the area composita, the mixed-type junctional structure of cardiac intercalated discs. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2126-36 pubmed..This could explain the devastating effect of plakophilin-2 mutations on cell junction stability in intercalated discs, which lead to cardiac muscle malfunction. ..
- Roupie V, Rosseels V, Piersoel V, Zinniel D, Barletta R, Huygen K. Genetic resistance of mice to Mycobacterium paratuberculosis is influenced by Slc11a1 at the early but not at the late stage of infection. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2099-105 pubmed publisher..Mycobacterium-specific gamma interferon responses developed earlier and to a higher magnitude in C57BL/6 mice than in BALB/c mice and were lowest in resistant C.D2 mice. ..
- Ozdemir S, Bito V, Holemans P, Vinet L, Mercadier J, Varro A, et al. Pharmacological inhibition of na/ca exchange results in increased cellular Ca2+ load attributable to the predominance of forward mode block. Circ Res. 2008;102:1398-405 pubmed publisher..Further development of NCX blockers, in particular, for heart failure, must balance potential benefits of I(NCX) reduction against effects on Ca2+ handling by refining mode dependence and/or including additional targets. ..
- Youssef K, Van Keymeulen A, Lapouge G, Beck B, Michaux C, Achouri Y, et al. Identification of the cell lineage at the origin of basal cell carcinoma. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:299-305 pubmed publisher..Our studies uncover the cells at the origin of BCC in mice and demonstrate that expression of differentiation markers in tumour cells is not necessarily predictive of the cancer initiating cells...
- Paulissen G, Rocks N, Gueders M, Bedoret D, Crahay C, Quesada Calvo F, et al. ADAM-8, a metalloproteinase, drives acute allergen-induced airway inflammation. Eur J Immunol. 2011;41:380-91 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ADAM-8 appears to favour allergen-induced acute airway inflammation by promoting DC recruitment and CCL11 and CCL22 production. ..
- Lembrechts R, Pintelon I, Schnorbusch K, Timmermans J, Adriaensen D, Brouns I. Expression of mechanogated two-pore domain potassium channels in mouse lungs: special reference to mechanosensory airway receptors. Histochem Cell Biol. 2011;136:371-85 pubmed publisher..TRAAK appears to be strongly involved in regulating airway mechanosensing since it was found to be expressed on the terminals of all subpopulations of potential vagal mechanosensors. ..
- Matmati M, Jacques P, Maelfait J, Verheugen E, Kool M, Sze M, et al. A20 (TNFAIP3) deficiency in myeloid cells triggers erosive polyarthritis resembling rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Genet. 2011;43:908-12 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations indicate a critical and cell-specific function for A20 in the etiology of rheumatoid arthritis, supporting the idea of developing A20 modulatory drugs as cell-targeted therapies. ..
- Herfs M, Hubert P, Poirrier A, Vandevenne P, Renoux V, Habraken Y, et al. Proinflammatory cytokines induce bronchial hyperplasia and squamous metaplasia in smokers: implications for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease therapy. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2012;47:67-79 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the administration of proinflammatory cytokine antagonists may have clinical applications in the management of patients with COPD...
- Fu Q, Gremeaux L, Luque R, Liekens D, Chen J, Buch T, et al. The adult pituitary shows stem/progenitor cell activation in response to injury and is capable of regeneration. Endocrinology. 2012;153:3224-35 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study demonstrates that the adult pituitary gland holds regenerative competence and that tissue repair follows prompt activation and plausible involvement of the stem/progenitor cells. ..
- Van den Broeck A, Gremeaux L, Topal B, Vankelecom H. Human pancreatic adenocarcinoma contains a side population resistant to gemcitabine. BMC Cancer. 2012;12:354 pubmed publisher..We identified a SP in human PDAC and uncovered a chemoresistant and CSC-associated phenotype. This SP may represent a new therapeutic target in pancreatic cancer. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00936104. ..
- Ousset M, Van Keymeulen A, Bouvencourt G, Sharma N, Achouri Y, Simons B, et al. Multipotent and unipotent progenitors contribute to prostate postnatal development. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:1131-8 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover the cellular hierarchy acting during prostate development and will be instrumental in defining the cellular origin and the mechanisms underlying prostate cancer initiation. ..
- Vandenabeele P, Bertrand M. The role of the IAP E3 ubiquitin ligases in regulating pattern-recognition receptor signalling. Nat Rev Immunol. 2012;12:833-44 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of IAPs in innate immunity may open new therapeutic perspectives for the treatment of PRR-dependent inflammatory diseases. ..
- Eersels K, van Grinsven B, Ethirajan A, Timmermans S, Jiménez Monroy K, Bogie J, et al. Selective identification of macrophages and cancer cells based on thermal transport through surface-imprinted polymer layers. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2013;5:7258-67 pubmed publisher..The concept of the sensor platform is fast and low-cost while allowing also for repetitive measurements. ..
- Soenen S, De Meyer S, Dresselaers T, Vande Velde G, Pareyn I, Braeckmans K, et al. MRI assessment of blood outgrowth endothelial cell homing using cationic magnetoliposomes. Biomaterials. 2011;32:4140-50 pubmed publisher..In particular, the use of these MLs will allow to evaluate the efficacy of new methods to enhance BOEC homing and integration to optimize their use as efficient vehicles for gene therapy. ..
- Bhalerao J, Tylzanowski P, Filie J, Kozak C, Merregaert J. Molecular cloning, characterization, and genetic mapping of the cDNA coding for a novel secretory protein of mouse. Demonstration of alternative splicing in skin and cartilage. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:16385-94 pubmed..Alternative splicing may serve as a mechanism for generating functional diversity in the Ecm1 gene. ..
- Thirion S, Nys G, Fiten P, Masure S, Van Damme J, Opdenakker G. Mouse macrophage derived monocyte chemotactic protein-3: cDNA cloning and identification as MARC/FIC. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;201:493-9 pubmed..Similar to the human system, in which MCP-3 is most related to MCP-1, MURINE MCP-3 was found to be more homologous to mouse MCP-1/JE than to other murine C-C chemokines. We therefore postulate that MARC/FIC is the mouse MCP-3. ..
- Struyf S, Proost P, Sozzani S, Mantovani A, Wuyts A, De Clercq E, et al. Enhanced anti-HIV-1 activity and altered chemotactic potency of NH2-terminally processed macrophage-derived chemokine (MDC) imply an additional MDC receptor. J Immunol. 1998;161:2672-5 pubmed..These findings suggest that MDC recognizes another, yet unidentified, receptor. We conclude that minimal NH2-terminal truncation of MDC differentially affects its various immunologic functions. ..
- Laes J, Quan X, Ravoet M, Stieber D, Van Vooren P, Van Reeth T, et al. Analysis of candidate genes included in the mammary cancer susceptibility 1 (Mcs1) region. Mamm Genome. 2001;12:199-206 pubmed..No amino acid sequence difference was found between the two strains. These results argue against the hypothesis that any of these three genes is Mcs1. ..
- van Loo G, Demol H, van Gurp M, Hoorelbeke B, Schotte P, Beyaert R, et al. A matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization post-source decay (MALDI-PSD) analysis of proteins released from isolated liver mitochondria treated with recombinant truncated Bid. Cell Death Differ. 2002;9:301-8 pubmed..These results demonstrate that a physiologically relevant concentration of tBid is sufficient to induce release of particular intermembrane mitochondrial proteins belonging to a broad molecular-mass range. ..
- Leyssen P, Paeshuyse J, Charlier N, Van Lommel A, Drosten C, De Clercq E, et al. Impact of direct virus-induced neuronal dysfunction and immunological damage on the progression of flavivirus (Modoc) encephalitis in a murine model. J Neurovirol. 2003;9:69-78 pubmed
- Peeters H, Debeer P, Bairoch A, Wilquet V, Huysmans C, Parthoens E, et al. PA26 is a candidate gene for heterotaxia in humans: identification of a novel PA26-related gene family in human and mouse. Hum Genet. 2003;112:573-80 pubmed..Analysis of the PA26 gene structure resulted in the identification of a novel PA26-related gene family, which we have named the sestrin family, and which comprises three closely related genes in human and in mouse. ..
- Vanlandschoot P, Cao T, Leroux Roels G. The nucleocapsid of the hepatitis B virus: a remarkable immunogenic structure. Antiviral Res. 2003;60:67-74 pubmed..This leads to the generation of a dominant Th1 immunity phenotype and the secretion of high levels of IgM and IgG anti-nucleocapsid antibodies. ..
- Vanderwinden J, Wang D, Paternotte N, Mignon S, Isozaki K, Erneux C. Differences in signaling pathways and expression level of the phosphoinositide phosphatase SHIP1 between two oncogenic mutants of the receptor tyrosine kinase KIT. Cell Signal. 2006;18:661-9 pubmed
- Van Dyck F, Declercq J, Braem C, Van de Ven W. PLAG1, the prototype of the PLAG gene family: versatility in tumour development (review). Int J Oncol. 2007;30:765-74 pubmed
- Ferdinande L, Demetter P, Perez Novo C, Waeytens A, Taildeman J, Rottiers I, et al. Inflamed intestinal mucosa features a specific epithelial expression pattern of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2008;21:289-95 pubmed..Furthermore, expression of IDO at the margin of ulcerations and in the reparative ulcer-associated cell lineage suggests involvement of IDO in repair processes. ..
- Hammad H, Chieppa M, Perros F, Willart M, Germain R, Lambrecht B. House dust mite allergen induces asthma via Toll-like receptor 4 triggering of airway structural cells. Nat Med. 2009;15:410-6 pubmed publisher..Our data identify an innate immune function of airway epithelial cells that drives allergic inflammation via activation of mucosal DCs. ..