Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on messenger rna in United Kingdom
Locale: United Kingdom
Topic: messenger rna
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Harlow C, Rae M, Davidson L, Trackman P, Hillier S. Lysyl oxidase gene expression and enzyme activity in the rat ovary: regulation by follicle-stimulating hormone, androgen, and transforming growth factor-beta superfamily members in vitro. Endocrinology. 2003;144:154-62 pubmed
- Duncan W, Hillier S, Gay E, Bell J, Fraser H. Connective tissue growth factor expression in the human corpus luteum: paracrine regulation by human chorionic gonadotropin. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005;90:5366-76 pubmed..Both IL-1alpha (P < 0.05) and cAMP (P < 0.001) inhibited CTGF expression in fibroblast-like cells. These results provide evidence for negative regulation of CTGF by hCG during luteal rescue mediated by paracrine signals. ..
- Turner N, Das A, Warburton P, O Regan D, Ball S, Porter K. Interleukin-1alpha stimulates proinflammatory cytokine expression in human cardiac myofibroblasts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H1117-27 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IL-1alpha stimulates human CMF to express IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, and IL-6 via specific signaling pathways, responses that are unaffected by IL-10 exposure. ..
- Bayol S, Simbi B, Fowkes R, Stickland N. A maternal "junk food" diet in pregnancy and lactation promotes nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease in rat offspring. Endocrinology. 2010;151:1451-61 pubmed publisher..This study shows that a maternal junk food diet in pregnancy and lactation contributes to the development of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in offspring. ..
- Dixon J, Loftus S, Gladwin A, Scambler P, Wasmuth J, Dixon M. Cloning of the human heparan sulfate-N-deacetylase/N-sulfotransferase gene from the Treacher Collins syndrome candidate region at 5q32-q33.1. Genomics. 1995;26:239-44 pubmed..The smaller species has a 3' UTR of 1035 bp, whereas that of the larger is 4878 bp. ..
- Ellis E, Judah D, Neal G, Hayes J. An ethoxyquin-inducible aldehyde reductase from rat liver that metabolizes aflatoxin B1 defines a subfamily of aldo-keto reductases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:10350-4 pubmed..Alignment of the amino acid sequence of AFB1-AR with other known and putative aldehyde reductases shows that it defines a subfamily within the aldo-keto reductase superfamily. ..
- McCarthy J. Posttranscriptional control of gene expression in yeast. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 1998;62:1492-553 pubmed
- Moss A, Blackburn Munro G, Garry E, Blakemore J, Dickinson T, Rosie R, et al. A role of the ubiquitin-proteasome system in neuropathic pain. J Neurosci. 2002;22:1363-72 pubmed
- Plant N, Barber P, Horner E, Cockburn C, Gibson G, Bugelski P, et al. Differential gene expression in rats following subacute exposure to the anticonvulsant sodium valproate. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2002;183:127-34 pubmed..These changes may provide insight into the rare human hepatoxicity associated with this compound. ..
- Smallwood A, Papageorghiou A, Nicolaides K, Alley M, Jim A, Nargund G, et al. Temporal regulation of the expression of syncytin (HERV-W), maternally imprinted PEG10, and SGCE in human placenta. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:286-93 pubmed..Therefore, the relative levels of 3.1 kb and 8 kb mRNAs in trophoblasts could regulate syncytin protein synthesis, possibly by competition of the two mRNA species for translational apparatus. ..
- Mo E, Amin H, Bianco I, Garthwaite J. Kinetics of a cellular nitric oxide/cGMP/phosphodiesterase-5 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26149-58 pubmed..Downstream phosphorylation in platelets was detectable within 2 s, and, with continuous exposure (1 min), this pathway could be engaged by subnanomolar NO concentrations (EC(50) = 0.5 nm). ..
- Hussain M, Shchepinov M, Sohail M, Benter I, Hollins A, Southern E, et al. A novel anionic dendrimer for improved cellular delivery of antisense oligonucleotides. J Control Release. 2004;99:139-55 pubmed..These data highlight a novel anionic dendrimer delivery system for gene silencing oligonucleotides that improved their biological stability, cellular delivery and antisense activity in cultured cancer cells. ..
- Proud C. eIF2 and the control of cell physiology. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:3-12 pubmed
- Madureira P, Varshochi R, Constantinidou D, Francis R, Coombes R, Yao K, et al. The Forkhead box M1 protein regulates the transcription of the estrogen receptor alpha in breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25167-76 pubmed..Together with the chromatin immunoprecipitation and biotinylated oligonucleotide pulldown data, the co-immunoprecipitation results also suggest the possibility that FoxM1 and FoxO3a cooperate to regulate ERalpha gene transcription. ..
- Rosbottom A, Gibney E, Guy C, Kipar A, Smith R, Kaiser P, et al. Upregulation of cytokines is detected in the placentas of cattle infected with Neospora caninum and is more marked early in gestation when fetal death is observed. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2352-61 pubmed publisher..caninum-infected cattle...
- Stock S, Duthie L, Tremaine T, Calder A, Kelly R, Riley S. Elafin (SKALP/Trappin-2/proteinase inhibitor-3) is produced by the cervix in pregnancy and cervicovaginal levels are diminished in bacterial vaginosis. Reprod Sci. 2009;16:1125-34 pubmed publisher..Elafin is a component of cervicovaginal secretions in pregnancy, and levels are diminished in bacterial vaginosis. It may be an important component of innate immunity in the lower genital tract. ..
- Hovnanian A, Rochat A, Bodemer C, Petit E, Rivers C, Prost C, et al. Characterization of 18 new mutations in COL7A1 in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa provides evidence for distinct molecular mechanisms underlying defective anchoring fibril formation. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;61:599-610 pubmed..Genotype-phenotype correlations suggested that the nature and location of these mutations are important determinants of the disease phenotype and showed evidence for interfamilial phenotypic variability. ..
- Zervas C, Gregory S, Brown N. Drosophila integrin-linked kinase is required at sites of integrin adhesion to link the cytoskeleton to the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1007-18 pubmed..Our data suggest that ILK is a component of the structure linking the cytoskeleton and the plasma membrane at sites of integrin-mediated adhesion. ..
- Li W, Belsham G, Proud C. Eukaryotic initiation factors 4A (eIF4A) and 4G (eIF4G) mutually interact in a 1:1 ratio in vivo. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:29111-5 pubmed..The data imply that the second binding site in mammalian eIF4A does not bind an additional eIF4A molecule and that initiation factor complexes in different eukaryotes contain one eIF4A per eIF4G. ..
- Brodbeck J, Davies A, Courtney J, Meir A, Balaguero N, Canti C, et al. The ducky mutation in Cacna2d2 results in altered Purkinje cell morphology and is associated with the expression of a truncated alpha 2 delta-2 protein with abnormal function. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:7684-93 pubmed..1/beta(4) channel combination when co-expressed in vitro, co-expression with the truncated mutant alpha 2 delta-2 protein reduced current density, indicating that it may contribute to the du phenotype. ..
- Parsons R, Smith M, Williams A, Waring R, Ramsden D. Expression of nicotinamide N-methyltransferase (E.C. 22.214.171.124) in the Parkinsonian brain. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2002;61:111-24 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that patients with PD have higher levels of NNMT activity and protein in brain tissue than those without PD and that NNMT expression is associated with neurons that degenerate in PD. ..
- Helmby H, Grencis R. IL-18 regulates intestinal mastocytosis and Th2 cytokine production independently of IFN-gamma during Trichinella spiralis infection. J Immunol. 2002;169:2553-60 pubmed..Hence, IL-18 plays a significant biological role as a negative regulator of intestinal mast cell responses and may promote the survival of intestinal parasites in vivo. ..
- Morgan H, Tumber A, Hill P. Breast cancer cells induce osteoclast formation by stimulating host IL-11 production and downregulating granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor. Int J Cancer. 2004;109:653-60 pubmed
- Ma D, Lim T, Xu J, Tang H, Wan Y, Zhao H, et al. Xenon preconditioning protects against renal ischemic-reperfusion injury via HIF-1alpha activation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20:713-20 pubmed publisher..If these data are confirmed in the clinical setting, then preconditioning with xenon may be beneficial before procedures that temporarily interrupt renal perfusion. ..
- Hakim P, Gurung I, Pedersen T, Thresher R, Brice N, Lawrence J, et al. Scn3b knockout mice exhibit abnormal ventricular electrophysiological properties. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2008;98:251-66 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings associate the lack of the Scn3b gene with arrhythmic tendencies in intact perfused hearts and electrophysiological features similar to those in Scn5a(+/-) hearts. ..
- Mena Segovia J, Micklem B, Nair Roberts R, Ungless M, Bolam J. GABAergic neuron distribution in the pedunculopontine nucleus defines functional subterritories. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:397-408 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the PPN is neurochemically segregated, and such differences define functional territories. ..
- Stitt A, McKenna D, Simpson D, Gardiner T, Harriott P, Archer D, et al. The 67-kd laminin receptor is preferentially expressed by proliferating retinal vessels in a murine model of ischemic retinopathy. Am J Pathol. 1998;152:1359-65 pubmed..The differential expression of 67LR between proliferating and quiescent retinal vessels suggests that this laminin receptor is an important and novel target for future chemotherapeutic intervention during proliferative vasculopathies. ..
- Morton N, Emilsson V, Liu Y, Cawthorne M. Leptin action in intestinal cells. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:26194-201 pubmed..Lack of leptin or resistance to leptin action in this site may contribute to obesity and its related syndromes by directly affecting lipid handling. ..
- Babik J, Adams E, Tone Y, Fairchild P, Tone M, Waldmann H. Expression of murine IL-12 is regulated by translational control of the p35 subunit. J Immunol. 1999;162:4069-78 pubmed..Furthermore, p35 mRNA levels were substantially up-regulated after LPS stimulation in both cell types. Thus, our results show that p35 gene expression is highly regulated by both transcriptional and translational mechanisms. ..
- Ensor E, Smith M, Latchman D. The BRN-3A transcription factor protects sensory but not sympathetic neurons from programmed cell death/apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5204-12 pubmed
- Stacey M, Lin H, Hilyard K, Gordon S, McKnight A. Human epidermal growth factor (EGF) module-containing mucin-like hormone receptor 3 is a new member of the EGF-TM7 family that recognizes a ligand on human macrophages and activated neutrophils. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18863-70 pubmed..These interactions suggest a potential role for EMR3 in myeloid-myeloid interactions during immune and inflammatory responses. ..
- Zernicka Goetz M, Pines J. Use of Green Fluorescent Protein in mouse embryos. Methods. 2001;24:55-60 pubmed..In this article we outline the ways in which we have used GFP mRNA and cDNA in our studies of mouse cell lineages, and to characterize the behavior of proteins within the embryos. ..
- van Eeden F, Palacios I, Petronczki M, Weston M, St Johnston D. Barentsz is essential for the posterior localization of oskar mRNA and colocalizes with it to the posterior pole. J Cell Biol. 2001;154:511-23 pubmed..Thus, Barentsz is essential for the posterior localization of oskar mRNA and behaves as a specific component of the oskar RNA transport complex. ..
- Skordis L, Dunckley M, Yue B, Eperon I, Muntoni F. Bifunctional antisense oligonucleotides provide a trans-acting splicing enhancer that stimulates SMN2 gene expression in patient fibroblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4114-9 pubmed..The use of tailed antisense oligonucleotides to recruit positively acting factors to stimulate a splicing reaction may have therapeutic applications for genetic disorders, such as SMA, in which splicing patterns are altered. ..
- Mitchell P, Tollervey D. An NMD pathway in yeast involving accelerated deadenylation and exosome-mediated 3'-->5' degradation. Mol Cell. 2003;11:1405-13 pubmed..We conclude that recognition of NMD substrates by the Upf surveillance complex can target mRNAs to rapid deadenylation and exosome-mediated degradation. ..
- Hartness M, Brazier S, Peers C, Bateson A, Ashford M, Kemp P. Post-transcriptional control of human maxiK potassium channel activity and acute oxygen sensitivity by chronic hypoxia. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:51422-32 pubmed
- Chilton J, Guthrie S. Development of oculomotor axon projections in the chick embryo. J Comp Neurol. 2004;472:308-17 pubmed..We find that the absence of the abducens nerve is not sufficient to produce this inappropriate innervation, so other factors are required to explain DRS. ..
- Mihm M, Baker P, Ireland J, Smith G, Coussens P, Evans A, et al. Molecular evidence that growth of dominant follicles involves a reduction in follicle-stimulating hormone dependence and an increase in luteinizing hormone dependence in cattle. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:1051-9 pubmed..Results provide new molecular evidence for the hypothesis that DF experience a reduction in FSH dependence but acquire increased LH dependence as they grow during the low FSH milieu of follicular waves. ..
- Cai J, Parr C, Watkins G, Jiang W, Boulton M. Decreased pigment epithelium-derived factor expression in human breast cancer progression. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:3510-7 pubmed..These observations collectively support the hypothesis that a lack of PEDF expression is a potent factor for the enhancement of tumor growth and angiogenesis in breast cancer. ..
- Karunakaran R, Ebert K, Harvey S, Leonard M, Ramachandran V, Poole P. Thiamine is synthesized by a salvage pathway in Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae strain 3841. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:6661-8 pubmed..Overall, the results show that a thiamine salvage pathway operates to enable growth of Rhizobium leguminosarum in the rhizosphere, allowing its survival when thiamine is limiting. ..
- Coldwell M, Morley S. Specific isoforms of translation initiation factor 4GI show differences in translational activity. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8448-60 pubmed
- Kirton J, Crofts N, George S, Brennan K, Canfield A. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling stimulates chondrogenic and inhibits adipogenic differentiation of pericytes: potential relevance to vascular disease?. Circ Res. 2007;101:581-9 pubmed..This effect was negated by transduction of pericytes with RAd/dnTCF. Together, these results demonstrate that Wnt/beta-catenin signaling inhibits adipogenic and enhances chondrogenic differentiation of pericytes. ..
- Stevenson C, Docx C, Webster R, Battram C, Hynx D, Giddings J, et al. Comprehensive gene expression profiling of rat lung reveals distinct acute and chronic responses to cigarette smoke inhalation. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2007;293:L1183-93 pubmed..As such, it appears that metabolic pathways are central to dealing with the stress of CS exposure; however, over time, inflammation and stress response gene sets become the most significantly affected in the chronic response to CS. ..
- O Shaughnessy P, Baker P, Monteiro A, Cassie S, Bhattacharya S, Fowler P. Developmental changes in human fetal testicular cell numbers and messenger ribonucleic acid levels during the second trimester. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4792-801 pubmed..The second trimester is essential for the establishment of Sertoli and germ cell numbers. Sertoli and Leydig cells are active throughout the period, but there is no evidence of changing transcript levels. ..
- Hamilton R, Hartswood E, Vendra G, Jones C, Van de Bor V, Finnegan D, et al. A bioinformatics search pipeline, RNA2DSearch, identifies RNA localization elements in Drosophila retrotransposons. RNA. 2009;15:200-7 pubmed publisher..The bioinformatics pipeline we have developed will have broader utility in fields where small RNA signals play important roles. ..
- Hemmings K, Parr T, Daniel Z, Picard B, Buttery P, Brameld J. Examination of myosin heavy chain isoform expression in ovine skeletal muscles. J Anim Sci. 2009;87:3915-22 pubmed publisher..The methodologies developed are suitable for studying fiber type transformations at the molecular level, as well as allowing analyses of very small samples, including biopsies, when histochemical analysis may not be possible. ..
- Day A, Veal E. Hydrogen peroxide-sensitive cysteines in the Sty1 MAPK regulate the transcriptional response to oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:7505-16 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, the conservation of these cysteine residues in other MAPK raises the possibility that similar mechanisms may ensure appropriate responses to hydrogen peroxide in other eukaryotes. ..
- Price N, Jackson V, Muller J, Moffat K, Matthews K, Orton T, et al. Alternative exon usage in the single CPT1 gene of Drosophila generates functional diversity in the kinetic properties of the enzyme: differential expression of alternatively spliced variants in Drosophila tissues. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:7857-65 pubmed publisher
- Marchese F, Aubareda A, Tudor C, Saklatvala J, Clark A, Dean J. MAPKAP kinase 2 blocks tristetraprolin-directed mRNA decay by inhibiting CAF1 deadenylase recruitment. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27590-600 pubmed publisher..Cyclooxygenase-2 mRNA stability is increased in CAF1-depleted cells in which it is no longer p38 MAPK/MK2-regulated. ..
- Pearson S, Cawthorne M, Clapham J, Dunmore S, Holmes S, Moore G, et al. The thiazolidinedione insulin sensitiser, BRL 49653, increases the expression of PPAR-gamma and aP2 in adipose tissue of high-fat-fed rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996;229:752-7 pubmed..PPAR-gamma and aP2 mRNA expression were significantly increased in the high-fat-fed rats treated with BRL 49653 (p < 0.01 and p < 0.001 respectively), but not in carbohydrate-fed rats. ..
- Sheardown S, Duthie S, Johnston C, Newall A, Formstone E, Arkell R, et al. Stabilization of Xist RNA mediates initiation of X chromosome inactivation. Cell. 1997;91:99-107 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these findings in terms of models for the initiation of random and imprinted X inactivation. ..
- Telford E, Wightman P, Leek J, Markham A, Lench N, Bonthron D. cDNA cloning, genomic organization, and chromosomal localization of a novel human gene that encodes a kinesin-related protein highly similar to mouse Kif3C. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;242:407-12 pubmed..All introns have the conserved GT and AG dinucleotides present at their donor and acceptor sites, respectively. We have localized KIF3C to chromosome band 2p23 by fluorescence in situ hybridization. ..
- Gadhavi P, Greenwood M, Strom M, King I, Buxton R. The regulatory region of the human desmocollin 3 promoter forms a DNA four-way junction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;281:520-8 pubmed
- Suchak S, Baloyianni N, Perkinton M, Williams R, Meldrum B, Rattray M. The 'glial' glutamate transporter, EAAT2 (Glt-1) accounts for high affinity glutamate uptake into adult rodent nerve endings. J Neurochem. 2003;84:522-32 pubmed..The data presented in this study indicate that EAAT2 is the predominant nerve terminal glutamate transporter in the adult rodent CNS. ..
- Wong H, Fricker M, Wyttenbach A, Villunger A, Michalak E, Strasser A, et al. Mutually exclusive subsets of BH3-only proteins are activated by the p53 and c-Jun N-terminal kinase/c-Jun signaling pathways during cortical neuron apoptosis induced by arsenite. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8732-47 pubmed..Thus, the p53 and JNK/c-Jun pathways can activate mutually exclusive subclasses of BH3-only proteins in the same set of neurons. However, other factors besides expression may determine which BH3-only proteins mediate apoptosis. ..
- Williams L, Sarma U, Willets K, Smallie T, Brennan F, Foxwell B. Expression of constitutively active STAT3 can replicate the cytokine-suppressive activity of interleukin-10 in human primary macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:6965-75 pubmed..However, in synovial fibroblasts, STAT3 did not suppress IL-6 production, suggesting that the cellular environment plays an important role in dictating whether STAT3 drives a pro- or anti-inflammatory response. ..
- De Sousa Peixoto R, Turban S, Battle J, Chapman K, Seckl J, Morton N. Preadipocyte 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 is a keto-reductase and contributes to diet-induced visceral obesity in vivo. Endocrinology. 2008;149:1861-8 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that 11beta-HSD1 reductase activity is augmented in mouse mesenteric preadipocytes where it promotes preadipocyte differentiation and contributes to visceral fat accumulation in obesity. ..
- Redpath N, Price N, Proud C. Cloning and expression of cDNA encoding protein synthesis elongation factor-2 kinase. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:17547-54 pubmed..Northern blot analysis demonstrated that eEF-2K mRNA is expressed in a number of different tissues and that it may exist in multiple forms. ..
- Stankovic T, Byrd P, Cooper P, McConville C, Munroe D, Riley J, et al. Construction of a transcription map around the gene for ataxia telangiectasia: identification of at least four novel genes. Genomics. 1997;40:267-76 pubmed..Genes E3, E13, and E14 do not show homology to any known genes. K28, 6.82, ACAT, and ATM all appear to have the same transcriptional orientation toward the telomere. ..
- Patterson S, Rae A, Hockey N, Gilmour J, Gotch F. Plasmacytoid dendritic cells are highly susceptible to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection and release infectious virus. J Virol. 2001;75:6710-3 pubmed..Both DC types were more susceptible to infection with a macrophage than a lymphotropic strain of human immunodeficiency virus type 1, but pcDC were more readily infected than myDC. ..
- Mann J, Oakley F, Johnson P, Mann D. CD40 induces interleukin-6 gene transcription in dendritic cells: regulation by TRAF2, AP-1, NF-kappa B, AND CBF1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:17125-38 pubmed..The physiological relevance of these molecular events to DC function is discussed. ..
- Phelps M, Darley M, Primrose J, Blaydes J. p53-independent activation of the hdm2-P2 promoter through multiple transcription factor response elements results in elevated hdm2 expression in estrogen receptor alpha-positive breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2003;63:2616-23 pubmed..Our findings support the hypothesis that the elevated levels of hdm2 expression reported in cancers such as ERalpha(+ve) breast tumors play an important role in the development of these tumors. ..
- Pignocchi C, Fletcher J, Wilkinson J, Barnes J, Foyer C. The function of ascorbate oxidase in tobacco. Plant Physiol. 2003;132:1631-41 pubmed..Taken together, these data show that there is an interaction between hormone, redox, and light signals at the level of the apoplast via modulation of ion of AA content. ..
- Dean J, Sarsfield S, Tsounakou E, Saklatvala J. p38 Mitogen-activated protein kinase stabilizes mRNAs that contain cyclooxygenase-2 and tumor necrosis factor AU-rich elements by inhibiting deadenylation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:39470-6 pubmed
- Benson M, Tinsley C, Blake D. Myospryn is a novel binding partner for dysbindin in muscle. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:10450-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate for the first time that there are tissue-specific ligands for dysbindin that may play important roles in the different disease states involving this protein. ..
- Couve A, Restituito S, Brandon J, Charles K, Bawagan H, Freeman K, et al. Marlin-1, a novel RNA-binding protein associates with GABA receptors. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13934-43 pubmed..Therefore, our observations provide an added level of regulation for the control of GABA(B) receptor expression and for the efficacy of inhibitory synaptic transmission. ..
- Stanley S, Murphy K, Bewick G, Kong W, Opacka Juffry J, Gardiner J, et al. Regulation of rat pituitary cocaine- and amphetamine-regulated transcript (CART) by CRH and glucocorticoids. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;287:E583-90 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that pituitary CART expression and release are regulated by CRH and the glucocorticoid environment and that pituitary CART is partly localized to corticotrophs. ..
- Culley F, Pennycook A, Tregoning J, Dodd J, Walzl G, Wells T, et al. Role of CCL5 (RANTES) in viral lung disease. J Virol. 2006;80:8151-7 pubmed..However, the exact effects of chemokine modulation depend critically on time of administration, a factor that may potentially complicate the use of chemokine blockers in inflammatory diseases. ..
- Kelly G, Milner A, Baldwin G, Bell A, Rickinson A. Three restricted forms of Epstein-Barr virus latency counteracting apoptosis in c-myc-expressing Burkitt lymphoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:14935-40 pubmed
- Turner M. Coordinated control of both insulin secretion and insulin action through calpain-10-mediated regulation of exocytosis?. Mol Genet Metab. 2007;91:305-7 pubmed..Therapeutic intervention in this way could simultaneously enhance both insulin secretion and insulin action. ..
- MacKenzie S, Huda S, Sattar N, Fraser R, Connell J, Davies E. Depot-specific steroidogenic gene transcription in human adipose tissue. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2008;69:848-54 pubmed publisher..Instead, the pattern of transcription suggests that 11-deoxycorticosterone, a mineralocorticoid, would be the ultimate product of any de novo adipose synthesis. ..
- Whitehouse D, Putt W, Lovegrove J, Morrison K, Hollyoake M, Fox M, et al. Phosphoglucomutase 1: complete human and rabbit mRNA sequences and direct mapping of this highly polymorphic marker on human chromosome 1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:411-5 pubmed..A physical localization of the human PGM1 gene to chromosome 1p31 has been determined by in situ hybridization. Analysis of DNA from a wide variety of vertebrates indicates a high level of PGM1 sequence conservation during evolution. ..
- Watson R, Wallis G, Holmes D, Viljoen D, Byers P, Kadler K. Ehlers Danlos syndrome type VIIB. Incomplete cleavage of abnormal type I procollagen by N-proteinase in vitro results in the formation of copolymers of collagen and partially cleaved pNcollagen that are near circular in cross-section. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:9093-100 pubmed..The model provides an explanation for the morphology and molecular composition of collagen fibrils in the tissues of patients with EDS type VII. ..
- Moiseyeva E, Weller P, Zhidkova N, Corben E, Patel B, Jasinska I, et al. Organization of the human gene encoding the cytoskeletal protein vinculin and the sequence of the vinculin promoter. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:4318-25 pubmed..Expression of a vinculin promoter/CAT construct is serum-inducible in NIH3T3 cells demonstrating that the promoter does contain a functional serum response element. ..
- Oktay K, Briggs D, Gosden R. Ontogeny of follicle-stimulating hormone receptor gene expression in isolated human ovarian follicles. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997;82:3748-51 pubmed..In addition, this study demonstrates the practical feasibility of investigating the expression of other genes during human folliculogenesis. ..
- Burton E, Tinsley J, Holzfeind P, Rodrigues N, Davies K. A second promoter provides an alternative target for therapeutic up-regulation of utrophin in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:14025-30 pubmed..This promoter does not contain synaptic regulatory elements and might, therefore, be a more suitable target for pharmacological manipulation than the previously described promoter. ..
- Gartland A, Hipskind R, Gallagher J, Bowler W. Expression of a P2X7 receptor by a subpopulation of human osteoblasts. J Bone Miner Res. 2001;16:846-56 pubmed..These data show for the first time the expression of functional P2X7 receptors in a subpopulation of osteoblasts, activation of which can result in ATP-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Shimizu K, Bourillot P, Nielsen S, Zorn A, Gurdon J. Swift is a novel BRCT domain coactivator of Smad2 in transforming growth factor beta signaling. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:3901-12 pubmed..We conclude that Swift is a novel coactivator of Smad2 and that Swift has a critical role in embryonic TGFbeta-induced gene transcription. Our results suggest that Swift may be a general component of TGFbeta signaling. ..
- Jackson A, Eastwood H, Bell S, Adu J, Toomes C, Carr I, et al. Identification of microcephalin, a protein implicated in determining the size of the human brain. Am J Hum Genet. 2002;71:136-42 pubmed..This gene, microcephalin, is expressed in the developing cerebral cortex of the fetal brain. Further study of this and related genes may provide important new insights into neocortical development and evolution. ..
- Kesavapany S, Lau K, Ackerley S, Banner S, Shemilt S, Cooper J, et al. Identification of a novel, membrane-associated neuronal kinase, cyclin-dependent kinase 5/p35-regulated kinase. J Neurosci. 2003;23:4975-83 pubmed..Cprk displays catalytic activity in in vitro kinase assays and is itself phosphorylated by cdk5/p35. Cdk5/p35 inhibits cprk activity. Cdk5/p35 may therefore regulate cprk function in the brain. ..
- Coleman H, Brierley I, Stevenson P. An internal ribosome entry site directs translation of the murine gammaherpesvirus 68 MK3 open reading frame. J Virol. 2003;77:13093-105 pubmed
- Griffin J, Bonney S, Mann C, Hebbachi A, Gibbons G, Nicholson J, et al. An integrated reverse functional genomic and metabolic approach to understanding orotic acid-induced fatty liver. Physiol Genomics. 2004;17:140-9 pubmed..The results suggest that the integration of 1H-NMR and gene expression data sets represents a robust method for identifying a focused line of research in a complex system. ..
- Knight B, Brunton C, Modi N, Wallace G, Stanford M. The effect of Toxoplasma gondii infection on expression of chemokines by rat retinal vascular endothelial cells. J Neuroimmunol. 2005;160:41-7 pubmed..Thus, invasion of retinal vascular endothelium (RVE) cells by T. gondii leads to the production of chemokines important in directing the traffic of inflammatory cells to the infected area. ..
- Gnanalingham M, Mostyn A, Symonds M, Stephenson T. Ontogeny and nutritional programming of adiposity in sheep: potential role of glucocorticoid action and uncoupling protein-2. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2005;289:R1407-15 pubmed..We conclude that the continual rise in glucocorticoid action and fat mass after birth may underlie the development of later obesity. The magnitude of this adaptation is partly dependent on maternal food intake through pregnancy...
- Williams S, Spence H, Rodgers R, Ozanne B, FitzGerald U, Barnett S. Role of Mayven, a kelch-related protein in oligodendrocyte process formation. J Neurosci Res. 2005;81:622-31 pubmed..These data suggest a role for Mayven in oligodendrocyte precursor cell process formation. ..
- Ullah M, Davies A, Halestrap A. The plasma membrane lactate transporter MCT4, but not MCT1, is up-regulated by hypoxia through a HIF-1alpha-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9030-7 pubmed..We conclude that MCT4, like other glycolytic enzymes, is up-regulated by hypoxia through a HIF-1alpha-mediated mechanism. This adaptive response allows the increased lactic acid produced during hypoxia to be rapidly lost from the cell. ..
- Swales K, Korbonits M, Carpenter R, Walsh D, Warner T, Bishop Bailey D. The farnesoid X receptor is expressed in breast cancer and regulates apoptosis and aromatase expression. Cancer Res. 2006;66:10120-6 pubmed..Our findings show for the first time that FXR is expressed in breast cancer tissue and has multiple properties that could be used for the treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Sandig H, McDonald J, Gilmour J, Arno M, Lee T, Cousins D. Human Th2 cells selectively express the orexigenic peptide, pro-melanin-concentrating hormone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12440-4 pubmed
- Garvican E, Vaughan Thomas A, Redmond C, Clegg P. MT3-MMP (MMP-16) is downregulated by in vitro cytokine stimulation of cartilage, but unaltered in naturally occurring equine osteoarthritis and osteochondrosis. Connect Tissue Res. 2008;49:62-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that MT3-MMP may not have a role in matrix destruction in equine cartilage diseases. Further work is required to characterize its regulation and function. ..
- Gao J, Coulson J, Whitehouse A, Blake N. Reduction in RNA levels rather than retardation of translation is responsible for the inhibition of major histocompatibility complex class I antigen presentation by the glutamic acid-rich repeat of herpesvirus saimiri open reading frame 73. J Virol. 2009;83:273-82 pubmed publisher..Thus, the EG-EA repeat of HVS ORF73 plays a role in immune evasion but utilizes a mechanism distinct from that of the EBNA1 and LANA1 repeats. ..