Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on membrane transport proteins in Germany
Topic: membrane transport proteins
Publications169 found, 100 shown here
- Friedrich B, Alexander D, Aicher W, Duszenko M, Schaub T, Passlick Deetjen J, et al. Influence of standard haemodialysis treatment on transcription of human serum- and glucocorticoid-inducible kinase SGK1 and taurine transporter TAUT in blood leukocytes. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20:768-74 pubmed..As SGK1 is a potent regulator of ion channels and transporters in nervous system, heart muscle and epithelial cells, the deranged regulation of SGK1 may contribute to acute side effects of HD treatment. ..
- Loscher W, Potschka H. Role of drug efflux transporters in the brain for drug disposition and treatment of brain diseases. Prog Neurobiol. 2005;76:22-76 pubmed..Finally, we summarize strategies for modulating or by-passing drug efflux transporters at the BBB as novel therapeutic approaches to drug-resistant brain diseases. ..
- Angelov A, Liebl W. Insights into extreme thermoacidophily based on genome analysis of Picrophilus torridus and other thermoacidophilic archaea. J Biotechnol. 2006;126:3-10 pubmed
- Lindenstrauss U, Brüser T. Conservation and variation between Rhodobacter capsulatus and Escherichia coli Tat systems. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7807-14 pubmed..Although the general features of Tat substrates and translocons are similar between species, the data indicate that details in the targeting pathways can vary considerably. ..
- van der Laan M, Wiedemann N, Mick D, Guiard B, Rehling P, Pfanner N. A role for Tim21 in membrane-potential-dependent preprotein sorting in mitochondria. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2271-6 pubmed..These findings suggest a new coupling mechanism in an energy-transducing membrane. ..
- Graubner W, Schierhorn A, Brüser T. DnaK plays a pivotal role in Tat targeting of CueO and functions beside SlyD as a general Tat signal binding chaperone. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7116-24 pubmed..The overall results suggest that SlyD and DnaK are in the set of chaperones that can serve as general Tat signal-binding proteins. DnaK has additional functions that are indispensable for the targeting of CueO. ..
- Hörster F, Baumgartner M, Viardot C, Suormala T, Burgard P, Fowler B, et al. Long-term outcome in methylmalonic acidurias is influenced by the underlying defect (mut0, mut-, cblA, cblB). Pediatr Res. 2007;62:225-30 pubmed..In addition, long-term outcome was dependent on the age cohort and cobalamin responsiveness. ..
- Holzapfel E, Moser M, Schiltz E, Ueda T, Betton J, Muller M. Twin-arginine-dependent translocation of SufI in the absence of cytosolic helper proteins. Biochemistry. 2009;48:5096-105 pubmed publisher..coli was found to occur in the bona fide absence of any cytosolic chaperone. Our results suggest that in E. coli, cytosolic chaperones are not essential for the twin-arginine-dependent export of cofactor-less substrates. ..
- Maurer C, Panahandeh S, Jungkamp A, Moser M, Muller M. TatB functions as an oligomeric binding site for folded Tat precursor proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:4151-61 pubmed publisher..Our collective data are consistent with TatB forming an oligomeric binding site that transiently accommodates folded Tat precursors. ..
- Harsman A, Kopp A, Wagner R, Zimmermann R, Jung M. Calmodulin regulation of the calcium-leak channel Sec61 is unique to vertebrates. Channels (Austin). 2011;5:293-8 pubmed..Therefore, CaM binding to the cytosolic N-terminus of Sec61? is involved in limiting Ca(2+)-leakage from the ER in C. familiaris but not S. cerevisiae. ..
- Doehlemann G, Reissmann S, Assmann D, Fleckenstein M, Kahmann R. Two linked genes encoding a secreted effector and a membrane protein are essential for Ustilago maydis-induced tumour formation. Mol Microbiol. 2011;81:751-66 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the activity of Pit1 and Pit2 during tumour formation might be functionally linked and we discuss possibilities for a putative functional connection of the two proteins. ..
- Wippel K, Sauer N. Arabidopsis SUC1 loads the phloem in suc2 mutants when expressed from the SUC2 promoter. J Exp Bot. 2012;63:669-79 pubmed publisher..As SUC1 and Srt1 are well characterized, this result provides an insight into the properties that are essential for sucrose transporters to load the phloem successfully. ..
- Tripp J, Hahn A, Koenig P, Flinner N, Bublak D, Brouwer E, et al. Structure and conservation of the periplasmic targeting factor Tic22 protein from plants and cyanobacteria. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:24164-73 pubmed publisher..The three-dimensional structure allows the definition of conserved hydrophobic pockets comparable with those of ClpS or BamB. The results presented suggest a function of Tic22 in outer membrane biogenesis. ..
- Nowak J, Schneiders T, Seifert H, Higgins P. The Asp20-to-Asn Substitution in the Response Regulator AdeR Leads to Enhanced Efflux Activity of AdeB in Acinetobacter baumannii. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:1085-90 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the characterization of the Asp20â†’Asn20 substitution proves that the reduced antimicrobial susceptibility previously associated with this substitution was indeed caused by enhanced efflux activity of AdeB. ..
- Preuss U, Koller G, Soyka M, Bondy B. Association between suicide attempts and 5-HTTLPR-S-allele in alcohol-dependent and control subjects: further evidence from a German alcohol-dependent inpatient sample. Biol Psychiatry. 2001;50:636-9 pubmed..Furthermore, significant effects from suicide attempts on the number of S-alleles were found. The results are consistent with an association between the 5-HTTLPR-S-allele and suicide attempts in alcohol-dependent subjects. ..
- Wittke S, Dünnwald M, Albertsen M, Johnsson N. Recognition of a subset of signal sequences by Ssh1p, a Sec61p-related protein in the membrane of endoplasmic reticulum of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2223-32 pubmed
- Ludewig U. Electroneutral ammonium transport by basolateral rhesus B glycoprotein. J Physiol. 2004;559:751-9 pubmed..Methylammonium uptake is inhibited by ammonium and this inhibition saturates with a Ki approximately 3 mm. Electric current measurements and intracellular pHi determinations suggest that RhBG acts as an electroneutral NH4+ -H+ exchanger...
- Schaaf G, Ludewig U, Erenoglu B, Mori S, Kitahara T, von Wirén N. ZmYS1 functions as a proton-coupled symporter for phytosiderophore- and nicotianamine-chelated metals. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:9091-6 pubmed..These biochemical properties indicate a novel role of YS1 transporters for heavy metal homeostasis in plants. ..
- Hutu D, Guiard B, Chacinska A, Becker D, Pfanner N, Rehling P, et al. Mitochondrial protein import motor: differential role of Tim44 in the recruitment of Pam17 and J-complex to the presequence translocase. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:2642-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Tim44 is not simply a scaffold for binding of motor subunits but plays a differential role in the recruitment of PAM modules to the inner membrane translocase. ..
- Mademidis A, Koster W. Transport activity of FhuA, FhuC, FhuD, and FhuB derivatives in a system free of polar effects, and stoichiometry of components involved in ferrichrome uptake. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;258:156-65 pubmed..The stoichiometry of the components involved in the uptake of iron(III) hydroxamates seems to be important for proper functioning. ..
- Hampe W, Riedel I, Lintzel J, Bader C, Franke I, Schaller H. Ectodomain shedding, translocation and synthesis of SorLA are stimulated by its ligand head activator. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 24:4475-85 pubmed..In addition, HA stimulates SorLA synthesis hinting at an autocatalytic feedback loop in which the ligand activates production, processing, and translocation of its receptor. ..
- Djordjevic T, BelAiba R, Bonello S, Pfeilschifter J, Hess J, Gorlach A. Human urotensin II is a novel activator of NADPH oxidase in human pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005;25:519-25 pubmed..These findings suggest that hU-II may play a novel role in pulmonary hypertension by promoting remodeling processes via activation of NADPH oxidases. ..
- Schmitt S, Ahting U, Eichacker L, Granvogl B, Go N, Nargang F, et al. Role of Tom5 in maintaining the structural stability of the TOM complex of mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14499-506 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the main role of Tom5, rather than being a receptor, is maintaining the structural integrity of the TOM complex...
- Bakker H, Routier F, Ashikov A, Neumann D, Bosch D, Gerardy Schahn R. A CMP-sialic acid transporter cloned from Arabidopsis thaliana. Carbohydr Res. 2008;343:2148-52 pubmed publisher..The isolated gene (At5g41760) is a member of the triose-phosphate/nucleotide sugar transporter gene family. Recombinant expression of the gene in yeast and testing in vitro confirmed its ability to transport CMP-sialic acid. ..
- Niegemann E, Schulz A, Bartsch K. Molecular organization of the Escherichia coli gab cluster: nucleotide sequence of the structural genes gabD and gabP and expression of the GABA permease gene. Arch Microbiol. 1993;160:454-60 pubmed..nidulans. Uptake of GABA was increased ca. 5-fold in transformants of E. coli containing gabP plasmids.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Shahi S, Krauth Siegel R, Clayton C. Overexpression of the putative thiol conjugate transporter TbMRPA causes melarsoprol resistance in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol Microbiol. 2002;43:1129-38 pubmed..Overexpression of TbMRPE had little effect on susceptibility to melarsoprol but did give two- to threefold resistance to suramin...
- Wendeler M, Praus M, Jung R, Hecking M, Metzig C, Gessner R. Ksp-cadherin is a functional cell-cell adhesion molecule related to LI-cadherin. Exp Cell Res. 2004;294:345-55 pubmed..In conclusion, both cadherins are thus not only structurally but also functionally related and may share other functions within their respective epithelia. ..
- Andersen O, Reiche J, Schmidt V, Gotthardt M, Spoelgen R, Behlke J, et al. Neuronal sorting protein-related receptor sorLA/LR11 regulates processing of the amyloid precursor protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13461-6 pubmed..Consequently, reduced receptor expression in the human brain may increase Abeta production and plaque formation and promote spontaneous AD. ..
- Scheuring J, Braun N, Nothdurft L, Stumpf M, Veenendaal A, Kol S, et al. The oligomeric distribution of SecYEG is altered by SecA and translocation ligands. J Mol Biol. 2005;354:258-71 pubmed
- Descot A, Hoffmann R, Shaposhnikov D, Reschke M, Ullrich A, Posern G. Negative regulation of the EGFR-MAPK cascade by actin-MAL-mediated Mig6/Errfi-1 induction. Mol Cell. 2009;35:291-304 pubmed publisher..Our results show the existence of negatively acting transcriptional networks between pro- and antiproliferative signaling pathways toward SRF. ..
- Schwab A, Fabian A, Hanley P, Stock C. Role of ion channels and transporters in cell migration. Physiol Rev. 2012;92:1865-913 pubmed publisher..After presenting general principles by which transport proteins affect cell migration, we will discuss systematically the role of channels and transporters involved in cell migration. ..
- Gorlich D, Hartmann E, Prehn S, Rapoport T. A protein of the endoplasmic reticulum involved early in polypeptide translocation. Nature. 1992;357:47-52 pubmed..In reconstituted proteoliposomes, this protein is stimulatory or required for the translocation of secretory proteins. ..
- Lucht J, Boos W, Bremer E. Alignment of genes from the 9-minute region (araJ to tsx) of the Escherichia coli K-12 linkage map to the physical map. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:1709-10 pubmed
- Schulze W, Reinders A, Ward J, Lalonde S, Frommer W. Interactions between co-expressed Arabidopsis sucrose transporters in the split-ubiquitin system. BMC Biochem. 2003;4:3 pubmed..Like other membrane proteins, the Arabidopsis sucrose transporters are able to form oligomers. The biochemical approaches are required to confirm the in planta interaction. ..
- Bartoszewski S, Luschnig S, Desjeux I, Grosshans J, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. Drosophila p24 homologues eclair and baiser are necessary for the activity of the maternally expressed Tkv receptor during early embryogenesis. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1259-73 pubmed..The dependence of maternal Tkv protein on the products of p24 genes may serve as an in vivo model for studying p24 proteins. ..
- Fröbel J, Rose P, Lausberg F, Blümmel A, Freudl R, Muller M. Transmembrane insertion of twin-arginine signal peptides is driven by TatC and regulated by TatB. Nat Commun. 2012;3:1311 pubmed publisher..Collectively our results suggest that TatC is an insertase for twin-arginine signal peptides and that translocation-proficient signal sequence recognition requires the concerted action of TatC and TatB. ..
- Brandsch M. Drug transport via the intestinal peptide transporter PepT1. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2013;13:881-7 pubmed publisher..Studies have indeed shown that several drugs, prodrugs and drug candidates gain entry into the systemic circulation via PepT1. Very recent examples are prodrugs of zanamivir, oseltamivir and didanosine. ..
- Schwartzkopff B, Platta H, Hasan S, Girzalsky W, Erdmann R. Cysteine-specific ubiquitination protects the peroxisomal import receptor Pex5p against proteasomal degradation. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..Thus, our results indicate that not the cysteine residue but the position of ubiquitination is important for Pex5p function. The presence of the cysteine prevents polyubiquitination and rapid degradation of Pex5p. ..
- Brabetz W, Liebl W, Schleifer K. Lactose permease of Escherichia coli catalyzes active beta-galactoside transport in a gram-positive bacterium. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:7488-91 pubmed..LacY of E. coli was active in the recombinant C. glutamicum cells despite the different membrane lipid compositions of these organisms. ..
- Hill K, Model K, Ryan M, Dietmeier K, Martin F, Wagner R, et al. Tom40 forms the hydrophilic channel of the mitochondrial import pore for preproteins [see comment]. Nature. 1998;395:516-21 pubmed..We conclude that Tom40 is the pore-forming subunit of the mitochondrial general import pore and that it constitutes a hydrophilic, approximately 22 A wide channel for the import of preproteins. ..
- Knappe S, Flügge U, Fischer K. Analysis of the plastidic phosphate translocator gene family in Arabidopsis and identification of new phosphate translocator-homologous transporters, classified by their putative substrate-binding site. Plant Physiol. 2003;131:1178-90 pubmed
- Jastroch M, Withers K, Klingenspor M. Uncoupling protein 2 and 3 in marsupials: identification, phylogeny, and gene expression in response to cold and fasting in Antechinus flavipes. Physiol Genomics. 2004;17:130-9 pubmed..Taken together, the sequence analysis, tissue specificity and physiological regulation suggest a conserved function of UCP2 and UCP3 during 130 million years of mammalian evolution. ..
- Milenkovic D, Gabriel K, Guiard B, Schulze Specking A, Pfanner N, Chacinska A. Biogenesis of the essential Tim9-Tim10 chaperone complex of mitochondria: site-specific recognition of cysteine residues by the intermembrane space receptor Mia40. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:22472-80 pubmed..Mia40 selectively recognizes cysteine-containing IMS proteins in a site-specific manner in organello and in vitro. Our results indicate that Mia40 acts as a trans receptor in the biogenesis of mitochondrial IMS proteins. ..
- Grininger M, Staudt H, Johansson P, Wachtveitl J, Oesterhelt D. Dodecin is the key player in flavin homeostasis of archaea. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:13068-76 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, the different structural and functional properties of a homologous bacterial dodecin suggest that dodecin has different roles in different kingdoms of life...
- Prestele J, Hierl G, Scherling C, Hetkamp S, Schwechheimer C, Isono E, et al. Different functions of the C3HC4 zinc RING finger peroxins PEX10, PEX2, and PEX12 in peroxisome formation and matrix protein import. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:14915-20 pubmed publisher..Both cytosolic PEX10 domains seem essential for peroxisome structure but differ in metabolic function, suggesting a role for this plant peroxin in addition to the import of matrix protein via ubiquitination of PEX5...
- Stevanovic M, Hahn A, Nicolaisen K, Mirus O, Schleiff E. The components of the putative iron transport system in the cyanobacterium Anabaena sp. PCC 7120. Environ Microbiol. 2012;14:1655-70 pubmed publisher..Mutants of the tonB3, exbB3/exbD3 and fhu genes show an iron starvation phenotype. Thus, Anabaena sp. has a similar, yet distinct system for siderophore-dependent iron uptake compared with other proteobacteria. ..
- Sirrenberg C, Bauer M, Guiard B, Neupert W, Brunner M. Import of carrier proteins into the mitochondrial inner membrane mediated by Tim22. Nature. 1996;384:582-5 pubmed..Import of proteins of the AAC family is independent of Tim23, and import of matrix targeting signals containing preproteins is independent of Tim22. ..
- Thanbichler M, Neuhierl B, Bock A. S-methylmethionine metabolism in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:662-5 pubmed..The physiological roles of the ykfD and yagD products appear to reside in the acquisition of S-methylmethionine, which is an abundant plant product, and its utilization for methionine biosynthesis. ..
- Burckhardt B, Wolff N, Burckhardt G. Electrophysiologic characterization of an organic anion transporter cloned from winter flounder kidney (fROAT). J Am Soc Nephrol. 2000;11:9-17 pubmed..Substrate-dependent currents provide a tool to elucidate the structure/function relationship of the renal organic anion transporter...
- Borisjuk L, Rolletschek H, Radchuk R, Weschke W, Wobus U, Weber H. Seed development and differentiation: a role for metabolic regulation. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2004;6:375-86 pubmed..The main role of seed photosynthesis is to increase internal O2 contents and to control biosynthetic fluxes by improving energy supply. ..
- Kerssen D, Hambruch E, Klaas W, Platta H, de Kruijff B, Erdmann R, et al. Membrane association of the cycling peroxisome import receptor Pex5p. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27003-15 pubmed..Altogether, these data strongly suggest that a translocation-competent state of the PTS1 receptor enters the membrane via protein-lipid interactions before it tightly associates with other peroxins. ..
- Pavlovic M, Luze A, Konrad R, Berger A, Sing A, Busch U, et al. Development of a duplex real-time PCR for differentiation between E. coli and Shigella spp. J Appl Microbiol. 2011;110:1245-51 pubmed publisher..The aim of this study was to develop a real-time PCR test for differentiation between Shigella spp. and E. coli, in particular enteroinvasive Escherichia coli (EIEC)...
- Rohrbach M, Braun V, Koster W. Ferrichrome transport in Escherichia coli K-12: altered substrate specificity of mutated periplasmic FhuD and interaction of FhuD with the integral membrane protein FhuB. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:7186-93 pubmed..His-tag-FhuD and His-tag-FhuD loaded with aerobactin specifically prevented degradation of FhuB and were cross-linked to FhuB. FhuD loaded with substrate and also FhuD free of substrate were able to interact with FhuB...
- Truscott K, Wiedemann N, Rehling P, Muller H, Meisinger C, Pfanner N, et al. Mitochondrial import of the ADP/ATP carrier: the essential TIM complex of the intermembrane space is required for precursor release from the TOM complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7780-9 pubmed
- Kühn K, Wellen J, Link N, Maskri L, Lübbert H, Stichel C. The mouse MPTP model: gene expression changes in dopaminergic neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;17:1-12 pubmed..All genes investigated were affected. However, alpha-synuclein was the only gene that was exclusively up-regulated in MPTP-treated animals displaying cell death. ..
- Bürkle L, Cedzich A, Döpke C, Stransky H, Okumoto S, Gillissen B, et al. Transport of cytokinins mediated by purine transporters of the PUP family expressed in phloem, hydathodes, and pollen of Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2003;34:13-26 pubmed..In summary, three closely related PUPs are differentially expressed in Arabidopsis and at least two PUPs have properties similar to the adenine and cytokinin transport system identified in Arabidopsis cell cultures. ..
- Potschka H, Fedrowitz M, Loscher W. Brain access and anticonvulsant efficacy of carbamazepine, lamotrigine, and felbamate in ABCC2/MRP2-deficient TR- rats. Epilepsia. 2003;44:1479-86 pubmed..The data substantiate that ABCC2-deficient TR- rats are a useful tool for defining the role of ABCC2 for transport of AEDs, and give evidence that the use of kindled TR- rats may provide important supplementary information. ..
- Eitinger T, Suhr J, Moore L, Smith J. Secondary transporters for nickel and cobalt ions: theme and variations. Biometals. 2005;18:399-405 pubmed
- Gerken U, Erhardt D, Bär G, Ghosh R, Kuhn A. Initial binding process of the membrane insertase YidC with its substrate Pf3 coat protein is reversible. Biochemistry. 2008;47:6052-8 pubmed publisher..The titration experiments provide strong evidence for a conformational change of the insertase upon binding a Pf3 coat protein molecule. ..
- Wang H, Salter C, Refai O, Hardy H, Barwick K, Akpulat U, et al. Choline transporter mutations in severe congenital myasthenic syndrome disrupt transporter localization. Brain. 2017;140:2838-2850 pubmed publisher..These findings underscore the essential role played by the choline transporter in sustaining acetylcholine neurotransmission at both central and neuromuscular synapses, with important implications for treatment and drug selection. ..
- Brzoska P, Rimmele M, Brzostek K, Boos W. The pho regulon-dependent Ugp uptake system for glycerol-3-phosphate in Escherichia coli is trans inhibited by Pi. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:15-20 pubmed..5 mM. Cells had to be starved for Pi in order to observe this inhibition. We conclude that the activity of the Ugp transport system is controlled by the level of internal phosphate. ..
- Moro F, Sirrenberg C, Schneider H, Neupert W, Brunner M. The TIM17.23 preprotein translocase of mitochondria: composition and function in protein transport into the matrix. EMBO J. 1999;18:3667-75 pubmed..Tim44 forms dimers which recruit two molecules of mt-Hsp70 to the sites of protein import. A sequential, hand-over-hand mode of interaction of these two mt-Hsp70.Tim44 complexes with a translocating polypeptide chain is proposed. ..
- Prinz A, Hartmann E, Kalies K. Sec61p is the main ribosome receptor in the endoplasmic reticulum of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biol Chem. 2000;381:1025-9 pubmed..The number of binding sites formed by Ssh1p under standard growth conditions is at least 4 times less than those formed by Sec61p. ..
- Geissler A, Rassow J, Pfanner N, Voos W. Mitochondrial import driving forces: enhanced trapping by matrix Hsp70 stimulates translocation and reduces the membrane potential dependence of loosely folded preproteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:7097-104 pubmed
- Alibu V, Richter C, Voncken F, Marti G, Shahi S, Renggli C, et al. The role of Trypanosoma brucei MRPA in melarsoprol susceptibility. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2006;146:38-44 pubmed..Over-expression of MRPA was not detected in four melarsoprol-resistant trypanosome isolates from sleeping sickness patients. ..
- Miethke M, Monteferrante C, Marahiel M, van Dijl J. The Bacillus subtilis EfeUOB transporter is essential for high-affinity acquisition of ferrous and ferric iron. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013;1833:2267-78 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the EfeUOB system contributes to the high-affinity uptake of iron that is available in two different oxidation states. ..
- Mahren S, Braun V. The FecI extracytoplasmic-function sigma factor of Escherichia coli interacts with the beta' subunit of RNA polymerase. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:1796-802 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of binding of an ECF sigma factor of the FecI type to the beta' subunit of RNA polymerase and of binding being enhanced by the protein that activates the ECF sigma factor. ..
- Reif S, Randelj O, Domanska G, Dian E, Krimmer T, Motz C, et al. Conserved mechanism of Oxa1 insertion into the mitochondrial inner membrane. J Mol Biol. 2005;354:520-8 pubmed..We conclude that Oxa1 has the ability to accept preproteins within the membrane. ..
- Panneels V, Sinning I. Membrane protein expression in the eyes of transgenic flies. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;601:135-47 pubmed publisher..Encouraged by this success, the fly system is now successfully used for a larger variety of membrane proteins, including mammalian GPCRs and transporters. ..
- Kunz H, Häusler R, Fettke J, Herbst K, Niewiadomski P, Gierth M, et al. The role of plastidial glucose-6-phosphate/phosphate translocators in vegetative tissues of Arabidopsis thaliana mutants impaired in starch biosynthesis. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2010;12 Suppl 1:115-28 pubmed publisher..The possible function of GPT2 in starch-free mutants is discussed in the background of carbon requirement in leaves during the light-dark cycle. ..
- Schwacke R, Grallath S, Breitkreuz K, Stransky E, Stransky H, Frommer W, et al. LeProT1, a transporter for proline, glycine betaine, and gamma-amino butyric acid in tomato pollen. Plant Cell. 1999;11:377-92 pubmed..Direct uptake and competition studies demonstrate that LeProT1 constitutes a general transporter for compatible solutes. ..
- Ossipov D, Schröder Köhne S, Schmitt H. Yeast ER-Golgi v-SNAREs Bos1p and Bet1p differ in steady-state localization and targeting. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 22):4135-42 pubmed..Bet1-alpha is an early Golgi protein and it does not change its localization under conditions when other recycling Golgi proteins can be trapped in the ER. ..
- Becker T, Pfannschmidt S, Guiard B, Stojanovski D, Milenkovic D, Kutik S, et al. Biogenesis of the mitochondrial TOM complex: Mim1 promotes insertion and assembly of signal-anchored receptors. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:120-7 pubmed..Thus, Mim1 plays an important role in the efficient assembly of the mitochondrial TOM complex. ..
- Boldt K, Pörs Y, Haupt B, Bitterlich M, Kuhn C, Grimm B, et al. Photochemical processes, carbon assimilation and RNA accumulation of sucrose transporter genes in tomato arbuscular mycorrhiza. J Plant Physiol. 2011;168:1256-63 pubmed publisher..It is proposed that a significant proportion of sugars is used by the mycorrhizal fungus, because only amounts of fructose were increased, while levels of glucose, which is mainly transferred towards the fungus, were nearly constant. ..
- Brix J, Dietmeier K, Pfanner N. Differential recognition of preproteins by the purified cytosolic domains of the mitochondrial import receptors Tom20, Tom22, and Tom70. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:20730-5 pubmed..We conclude that each of the three import receptors binds preproteins independently and by a different mechanism. Both Tom20 and Tom22 function as presequence receptors. ..
- Knittler M, Gülow K, Seelig A, Howard J. MHC class I molecules compete in the endoplasmic reticulum for access to transporter associated with antigen processing. J Immunol. 1998;161:5967-77 pubmed
- Weber T, Gopfert M, Winter H, Zimmermann U, Kohler H, Meier A, et al. Expression of prestin-homologous solute carrier (SLC26) in auditory organs of nonmammalian vertebrates and insects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:7690-5 pubmed..We conclude that prestin-related SLC26 proteins are widespread, possibly ancestral, constituents of auditory organs and are likely to serve salient roles in mammals and across taxa. ..
- Mühlenbein N, Hofmann S, Rothbauer U, Bauer M. Organization and function of the small Tim complexes acting along the import pathway of metabolite carriers into mammalian mitochondria. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:13540-6 pubmed..We conclude that different mechanisms and specific requirements for import and insertion of mammalian carrier preproteins have evolved in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Flesch D, Cheung S, Schmidt J, Gabler M, Heitel P, Kramer J, et al. Nonacidic Farnesoid X Receptor Modulators. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7199-7205 pubmed publisher..Here we report the development and characterization of a high-affinity FXR modulator not comprising an acidic residue...
- Macfarlane J, Muller M. The functional integration of a polytopic membrane protein of Escherichia coli is dependent on the bacterial signal-recognition particle. Eur J Biochem. 1995;233:766-71 pubmed..These results suggest a major function of the bacterial SRP in the targeting and subsequent integration of hydrophobic membrane proteins as opposed to SecA mediating the post-translational targeting of secretory proteins. ..
- Jager W, Kalinowski J, Puhler A. A Corynebacterium glutamicum gene conferring multidrug resistance in the heterologous host Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:2449-51 pubmed..glutamicum. The corresponding gene encodes a hydrophobic protein with 12 potential transmembrane-spanning ex-helical segments showing similarity to drug-H+ antiporters. ..
- Schwöppe C, Winkler H, Neuhaus H. Properties of the glucose-6-phosphate transporter from Chlamydia pneumoniae (HPTcp) and the glucose-6-phosphate sensor from Escherichia coli (UhpC). J Bacteriol. 2002;184:2108-15 pubmed..Interestingly, C(3)-organophosphates stimulated His-HPTcp activity but not His-UhpT- or His-UhpC-catalyzed Glc6P transport. In contrast to His-UhpC, the His-HPTcp protein does not act as a Glc6P sensor in the uhp regulon. ..
- Boll M, Foltz M, Rubio Aliaga I, Kottra G, Daniel H. Functional characterization of two novel mammalian electrogenic proton-dependent amino acid cotransporters. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22966-73 pubmed..Phenotypically, the PAT1 transporter possesses the same functional characteristics as the previously described proton-dependent amino acid transport process in apical membranes of intestinal and renal epithelial cells. ..
- Wisniewska J, Xu J, Seifertová D, Brewer P, Ruzicka K, Blilou I, et al. Polar PIN localization directs auxin flow in plants. Science. 2006;312:883 pubmed..This finding provides a crucial piece in the puzzle of how auxin flow can be redirected via rapid changes in PIN polarity. ..
- Psakis G, Polaczek J, Essen L. AcrB et al.: Obstinate contaminants in a picogram scale. One more bottleneck in the membrane protein structure pipeline. J Struct Biol. 2009;166:107-11 pubmed publisher..This, along with its tendency to crystallize in the picogram scale, poses a serious concern in membrane protein expression using heterologous hosts harbouring AcrB. ..
- Schlesier R, Klösgen R. Twin arginine translocation (Tat)-dependent protein transport: the passenger protein participates in the initial membrane binding step. Biol Chem. 2010;391:1411-7 pubmed publisher..The implications of this finding on the mechanism of Tat-dependent protein transport are discussed. ..
- Schulz C, Lytovchenko O, Melin J, Chacinska A, Guiard B, Neumann P, et al. Tim50's presequence receptor domain is essential for signal driven transport across the TIM23 complex. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:643-56 pubmed publisher..Our results establish Tim50 as the primary presequence receptor at the inner membrane and show that targeting signals and Tim50 regulate the Tim23 channel in an antagonistic manner. ..
- Schmitt U, Hiemke C. Effects of GABA-transporter (GAT) inhibitors on rat behaviour in open-field and elevated plus-maze. Behav Pharmacol. 1999;10:131-7 pubmed..SKF 89976-A exhibited minimal effects over the dose range tested. These results indicate that inhibition of GABA uptake might be a pharmacological strategy to treat not only epilepsy, but also anxiety disorders. ..