Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on membrane proteins in Finland
Topic: membrane proteins
Publications144 found, 100 shown here
- Poussu E, Jantti J, Savilahti H. A gene truncation strategy generating N- and C-terminal deletion variants of proteins for functional studies: mapping of the Sec1p binding domain in yeast Mso1p by a Mu in vitro transposition-based approach. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e104 pubmed..Importantly, the methodology is applicable to any protein-encoding gene cloned in an appropriate vector...
- Cheng Z, Finckenberg P, Louhelainen M, Merasto S, Tikkanen I, Vapaatalo H, et al. Cardiovascular and renal effects of cyclooxygenase inhibition in transgenic rats harboring mouse renin-2 gene (TGR[mREN2]27). Eur J Pharmacol. 2003;461:159-69 pubmed..Our findings indicate that cyclooxygenase does not play a central role in the pathogenesis of angiotensin-II-induced inflammatory response and vascular injury in mREN2 rats. ..
- Nevala H, Ylikomi T, Tähti H. Evaluation of the selected barrier properties of retinal pigment epithelial cell line ARPE-19 for an in-vitro blood-brain barrier model. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2008;27:741-9 pubmed publisher..For future studies, it is important to develop a human brain endothelial cell line with expression of the complex in-vivo properties of the blood-brain barrier. ..
- von Ossowski I, Oksanen E, von Ossowski L, Cai C, Sundberg M, Goldman A, et al. Crystal structure of the second PDZ domain of SAP97 in complex with a GluR-A C-terminal peptide. FEBS J. 2006;273:5219-29 pubmed
- Helske S, Oksjoki R, Lindstedt K, Lommi J, Turto H, Werkkala K, et al. Complement system is activated in stenotic aortic valves. Atherosclerosis. 2008;196:190-200 pubmed..Complement activation in stenotic valves emerges as a novel pathogenic component of AS and may serve as a therapeutic target in this disease. ..
- Elomaa O, Kangas M, Sahlberg C, Tuukkanen J, Sormunen R, Liakka A, et al. Cloning of a novel bacteria-binding receptor structurally related to scavenger receptors and expressed in a subset of macrophages. Cell. 1995;80:603-9 pubmed
- Lakari E, Pylkäs P, Pietarinen Runtti P, Paakko P, Soini Y, Kinnula V. Expression and regulation of hemeoxygenase 1 in healthy human lung and interstitial lung disorders. Hum Pathol. 2001;32:1257-63 pubmed
- Aavik E, Luoto N, Petrov L, Aavik S, Patel Y, Hayry P. Elimination of vascular fibrointimal hyperplasia by somatostatin receptor 1,4-selective agonist. FASEB J. 2002;16:724-6 pubmed
- Carlsson E, Ranki A, Sipilä L, Karenko L, Abdel Rahman W, Ovaska K, et al. Potential role of a navigator gene NAV3 in colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer. 2012;106:517-24 pubmed publisher..This suggests that NAV3 has a role in linking tissue inflammation to cancer development in the colon. ..
- Huopio H, Jaaskelainen J, Komulainen J, Miettinen R, Kärkkäinen P, Laakso M, et al. Acute insulin response tests for the differential diagnosis of congenital hyperinsulinism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:4502-7 pubmed..Our results, however, also demonstrate the complexity of these responses and the difficulties in their interpretation. ..
- Helisalmi S, Dermaut B, Hiltunen M, Mannermaa A, Van den Broeck M, Lehtovirta M, et al. Possible association of nicastrin polymorphisms and Alzheimer disease in the Finnish population. Neurology. 2004;63:173-5 pubmed..Here, they evaluated if NCSTN polymorphisms increased risk of AD in the eastern Finnish population. A significant difference in one haplotype was observed in AD patients without the APOE epsilon4 allele. ..
- Kuure S, Sainio K, Vuolteenaho R, Ilves M, Wartiovaara K, Immonen T, et al. Crosstalk between Jagged1 and GDNF/Ret/GFRalpha1 signalling regulates ureteric budding and branching. Mech Dev. 2005;122:765-80 pubmed..Thus, the data provide evidence for a novel crosstalk between Notch and Ret/GFRalpha1 signalling during early nephrogenesis. ..
- Luo C, Peng Y, Santti R, He M, Lin M. COX-1 and -2 expressions in sex-related organs of neonatally estrogen-treated rats and in activated and nonactivated macrophage RAW264.7 cells with phytoestrogen. Endocrine. 2006;29:161-7 pubmed
- Saarikangas J, Zhao H, Pykäläinen A, Laurinmäki P, Mattila P, Kinnunen P, et al. Molecular mechanisms of membrane deformation by I-BAR domain proteins. Curr Biol. 2009;19:95-107 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our work reveals unexpected divergence in the mechanisms by which evolutionarily distinct groups of I-BAR domains interact with PI(4,5)P(2)-rich membranes. ..
- Pursiheimo S, Rintamäki E, Baena Gonzalez E, Aro E. Thylakoid protein phosphorylation in evolutionally divergent species with oxygenic photosynthesis. FEBS Lett. 1998;423:178-82 pubmed..Light-intensity-dependent regulation of LHCII protein phosphorylation was similar in group 2 and 3 species, with maximal phosphorylation of LHCII at low light and nearly complete dephosphorylation at high light. ..
- Dumont V, Tolvanen T, Kuusela S, Wang H, Nyman T, Lindfors S, et al. PACSIN2 accelerates nephrin trafficking and is up-regulated in diabetic kidney disease. FASEB J. 2017;31:3978-3990 pubmed publisher..Tolvanen, T. A., Kuusela, S., Wang, H., Nyman, T. A., Lindfors, S., Tienari, J., Nisen, H., Suetsugu, S., Plomann, M., Kawachi, H., Lehtonen, S. PACSIN2 accelerates nephrin trafficking and is up-regulated in diabetic kidney disease. ..
- Parkkila S, Kivela A, Kaunisto K, Parkkila A, Hakkola J, Rajaniemi H, et al. The plasma membrane carbonic anhydrase in murine hepatocytes identified as isozyme XIV. BMC Gastroenterol. 2002;2:13 pubmed..The presence of CA XIV in the hepatocyte plasma membrane places this novel enzyme at a strategic site to control pH regulation and ion transport between the hepatocytes, sinusoids and bile canaliculi. ..
- Lonka L, Aalto A, Kopra O, Kuronen M, Kokaia Z, Saarma M, et al. The neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis Cln8 gene expression is developmentally regulated in mouse brain and up-regulated in the hippocampal kindling model of epilepsy. BMC Neurosci. 2005;6:27 pubmed..The relevance of Cln8 up-regulation in hippocampal neurons of kindled mice should be further explored. ..
- Luimula P, Sandström N, Novikov D, Holthofer H. Podocyte-associated molecules in puromycin aminonucleoside nephrosis of the rat. Lab Invest. 2002;82:713-8 pubmed..beta1 integrin was markedly up-regulated during induction. alpha-actinin-4 was not changed at the studied time points. The results show distinct differences in the different domains of podocytes during PA-induced proteinuria. ..
- Hattula K, Furuhjelm J, Tikkanen J, Tanhuanpää K, Laakkonen P, Peranen J. Characterization of the Rab8-specific membrane traffic route linked to protrusion formation. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4866-77 pubmed..We propose that Rab8 regulates a membrane-recycling pathway that mediates protrusion formation. ..
- Krupovic M, Bamford D. Holin of bacteriophage lambda: structural insights into a membrane lesion. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:781-3 pubmed publisher..in this issue of Molecular Microbiology invites us to take a closer look at this membrane lesion. For the first time, a structural characterization of large-diameter rings formed by these peculiar membrane proteins is presented...
- Toikkanen J, Gatti E, Takei K, Saloheimo M, Olkkonen V, Soderlund H, et al. Yeast protein translocation complex: isolation of two genes SEB1 and SEB2 encoding proteins homologous to the Sec61 beta subunit. Yeast. 1996;12:425-38 pubmed..This study further emphasizes the evolutionary conservation of the ER protein translocation apparatus and provides novel genetic tools for its functional analysis. ..
- Kytölä J, Kääpä P, Uotila P. Meconium aspiration stimulates cyclooxygenase-2 and nitric oxide synthase-2 expression in rat lungs. Pediatr Res. 2003;53:731-6 pubmed
- Ylipalosaari M, Thomas G, Nystrom M, Salhimi S, Marshall J, Huotari V, et al. Alpha v beta 6 integrin down-regulates the MMP-13 expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma cells. Exp Cell Res. 2005;309:273-83 pubmed..Our results suggest that alphavbeta6 down-regulates MMP-13 expression in OSCC cells and that MMP-13 is not essential for the degradation of type I collagen by OSCC cells. ..
- Kärkkäinen M, Oka T, Olkkonen V, Metso J, Hattori H, Jauhiainen M, et al. Isolation and partial characterization of the inactive and active forms of human plasma phospholipid transfer protein (PLTP). J Biol Chem. 2002;277:15413-8 pubmed..During or after the transfer of lipolytic surface remnants to HDL, PLTP is transferred to apoA-I-containing HDL particles and thereby becomes part of the low activity complex. ..
- Chi L, Zhang S, Lin Y, Prunskaite Hyyryläinen R, Vuolteenaho R, Itäranta P, et al. Sprouty proteins regulate ureteric branching by coordinating reciprocal epithelial Wnt11, mesenchymal Gdnf and stromal Fgf7 signalling during kidney development. Development. 2004;131:3345-56 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that Spry genes contribute to reciprocal epithelial-mesenchymal and stromal signalling controlling ureteric branching, which involves the coordination of Ffg/Wnt11/Gdnf pathways. ..
- Salminen A, Kaarniranta K. Regulation of the aging process by autophagy. Trends Mol Med. 2009;15:217-24 pubmed publisher..We discuss the possibility that these well-known stress resistance and longevity factors regulate the aging process via autophagy. ..
- Rimpiläinen R, Vakkala M, Rimpiläinen E, Jensen H, Rimpiläinen J, Erkinaro T, et al. Minimized and conventional cardiopulmonary bypass damage intestinal mucosal integrity. Scand Cardiovasc J. 2011;45:236-46 pubmed publisher..Colonic mucosal damage was observed similarly in MCPB and CCPB. Based on these results, the effects of MCPB on intestinal mucosal stability are similar to those of CCPB. ..
- Javanainen M, Hammaren H, Monticelli L, Jeon J, Miettinen M, Martinez Seara H, et al. Anomalous and normal diffusion of proteins and lipids in crowded lipid membranes. Faraday Discuss. 2013;161:397-417; discussion 419-59 pubmed..Our results suggest that protein concentration is anything but constant in the plane of cell membranes. Instead, it is strongly dependent on proteins' preference for aggregation. ..
- Vaheri A, Carpen O, Heiska L, Helander T, Jaaskelainen J, Majander Nordenswan P, et al. The ezrin protein family: membrane-cytoskeleton interactions and disease associations. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:659-66 pubmed..Merlin is a tumor suppressor that is involved in tumorigenesis of schwannomas and meningiomas. Merlin has the same overall protein structure as the other proteins in the subfamily but may have partially distinct functions. ..
- Päivärinne H, Kainulainen H. DAPIT, a novel protein down-regulated in insulin-sensitive tissues in streptozotocin-induced diabetes. Acta Diabetol. 2001;38:83-6 pubmed..We propose that DAPIT is a novel protein that is highly conserved in vertebrates and insects. ..
- Suntio T, Shiryaev S, Makarow M. ATPase activity of a yeast secretory glycoprotein allows ER exit during inactivation of COPII components Sec24p and Sec13p. Yeast. 2011;28:453-65 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge this is the first documentation of the ATPase activity of a protein serving an intracellular transport function. ..
- Laitinen J, Uri A, Raidaru G, Miettinen R. [(35)S]GTPgammaS autoradiography reveals a wide distribution of G(i/o)-linked ADP receptors in the nervous system: close similarities with the platelet P2Y(ADP) receptor. J Neurochem. 2001;77:505-18 pubmed..These data witness a hitherto unrecognized abundance of G(i/o)-linked ADP receptors in the nervous system. Biochemical and pharmacological behaviour suggests striking similarities to the elusive platelet P2Y(ADP) receptor...
- Daugelavicius R, Bamford J, Grahn A, Lanka E, Bamford D. The IncP plasmid-encoded cell envelope-associated DNA transfer complex increases cell permeability. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:5195-202 pubmed..However, the Mpf complex does not dissipate the membrane voltage. The Mpf complex is rapidly disassembled when intracellular ATP concentration is decreased, as measured by a PRD1 adsorption assay...
- Herranen M, Battchikova N, Zhang P, Graf A, Sirpiö S, Paakkarinen V, et al. Towards functional proteomics of membrane protein complexes in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Plant Physiol. 2004;134:470-81 pubmed..Pulse labeling experiments demonstrated the requirement of PSII activity for de novo synthesis of the NDH-1 complexes. ..
- Trokovic N, Trokovic R, Partanen J. Fibroblast growth factor signalling and regional specification of the pharyngeal ectoderm. Int J Dev Biol. 2005;49:797-805 pubmed..Our results suggest that Fgfr1 is important for localized signalling in the pharyngeal ectoderm and consequently for normal tissue interactions in the developing second branchial arch...
- Carlsson E, Krohn K, Ovaska K, Lindberg P, Häyry V, Maliniemi P, et al. Neuron navigator 3 alterations in nervous system tumors associate with tumor malignancy grade and prognosis. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2013;52:191-201 pubmed publisher..With Cox regression model, a hazard ratio of 0.51 was observed for NAV3 amplifications and 1.36 for NAV3 deletions. We conclude that NAV3 may be a potential new prognostic biomarker and a potential therapeutic target...
- Mykkänen J, Torrents D, Pineda M, Camps M, Yoldi M, Horelli Kuitunen N, et al. Functional analysis of novel mutations in y(+)LAT-1 amino acid transporter gene causing lysinuric protein intolerance (LPI). Hum Mol Genet. 2000;9:431-8 pubmed..This finding, together with the strong degree of conservation among all members of this family of amino acid transporters, indicates that residues L334 and G54 play a crucial role in the function of the y(+)LAT-1 transporter. ..
- Auranen M, Rapola J, Pihko H, Haltia M, Leivo I, Soinila S, et al. Muscle membrane-skeleton protein changes and histopathological characterization of muscle-eye-brain disease. Neuromuscul Disord. 2000;10:16-23 pubmed..In contrast, laminin beta 2 chain was overexpressed in the Western blotting studies. These findings may reflect a yet unidentified primary disturbance in the basement membrane composition and function. ..
- Vitikainen M, Lappalainen I, Seppala R, Antelmann H, Boer H, Taira S, et al. Structure-function analysis of PrsA reveals roles for the parvulin-like and flanking N- and C-terminal domains in protein folding and secretion in Bacillus subtilis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:19302-14 pubmed..Our results indicate that PrsA is a PPIase, but the essential role in vivo seems to depend on some non-PPIase activity of both the parvulin-like and flanking domains. ..
- Peitsaro N, Polianskyte Z, Tuimala J, Pörn Ares I, Liobikas J, Speer O, et al. Evolution of a family of metazoan active-site-serine enzymes from penicillin-binding proteins: a novel facet of the bacterial legacy. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:26 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that PBP-betaL proteins in the early eukaryotic cell enabled the degradation of peptidoglycan from ingested bacteria, thereby maximizing the yield of nutrients and streamlining the cell for effective phagocytotic feeding. ..
- Soini Y. Tight junctions in lung cancer and lung metastasis: a review. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2012;5:126-36 pubmed..In this review the significance of tight junctions and its proteins in lung cancer is discussed with a focus on the proteins forming the membranous part of these structures. ..
- Ruhanen H, Nidhina Haridas P, Eskelinen E, Eriksson O, Olkkonen V, Käkelä R. Depletion of TM6SF2 disturbs membrane lipid composition and dynamics in HuH7 hepatoma cells. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:676-685 pubmed publisher..These observations provide novel clues to TM6SF2 function and raise altered mebrane lipid composition and dynamics among the mechanism(s) by which the protein deficiency disturbs hepatic TAG secretion. ..
- Olkkonen V, Ikonen E. When intracellular logistics fails--genetic defects in membrane trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:5031-45 pubmed..Studies of the gene defects in trafficking disorders therefore not only open avenues for new therapeutic approaches but also significantly contribute to our knowledge of the fundamental mechanisms of intracellular membrane transport. ..
- Virtaneva K, Emi N, Marken J, Aruffo A, Jones C, Spurr N, et al. Chromosomal localization of three human genes coding for A15, L6, and S5.7 (TAPA1): all members of the transmembrane 4 superfamily of proteins. Immunogenetics. 1994;39:329-34 pubmed..In this study we have used interspecies specific somatic cell hybrids and human-specific cDNA probes to localize the A15 (MXS1), L6 (M3S1), and TAPA1 genes to Xq11, 3q21-25, and 11p15.5, respectively. ..
- Linder M, Uronen R, Hölttä Vuori M, van der Sluijs P, Peranen J, Ikonen E. Rab8-dependent recycling promotes endosomal cholesterol removal in normal and sphingolipidosis cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:47-56 pubmed..Our findings establish Rab8 as a key component of the regulatory machinery that leads to ABCA1-dependent removal of cholesterol from endocytic circuits...
- Pätsi J, Maliniemi P, Pakanen S, Hinttala R, Uusimaa J, Majamaa K, et al. LHON/MELAS overlap mutation in ND1 subunit of mitochondrial complex I affects ubiquinone binding as revealed by modeling in Escherichia coli NDH-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1817:312-8 pubmed publisher..In all, m.3376G>A perturbs ubiquinone binding, a phenomenon found in LHON, and decreases the activity of fully assembled complex I as in MELAS. ..
- Heinonen O, Salonen T, Jalanko A, Peltonen L, Copp A. CLN-1 and CLN-5, genes for infantile and variant late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinoses, are expressed in the embryonic human brain. J Comp Neurol. 2000;426:406-12 pubmed..These findings indicate that expression of CLN-1 and CLN-5 may be significant for development of a wide range of maturating neurons. ..
- Westerlund A, Ankelo M, Ilonen J, Knip M, Simell O, Hinkkanen A. Absence of avidity maturation of autoantibodies to the protein tyrosine phosphatase-like IA-2 molecule and glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65) during progression to type 1 diabetes. J Autoimmun. 2005;24:153-67 pubmed..Our results indicate that the analysis of the avidity index levels of IA-2A and GADA does not improve the accuracy of the prediction of type 1 diabetes based on autoantibody detection...
- Hartikainen J, Tuhkanen H, Kataja V, Eskelinen M, Uusitupa M, Kosma V, et al. Refinement of the 22q12-q13 breast cancer--associated region: evidence of TMPRSS6 as a candidate gene in an eastern Finnish population. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:1454-62 pubmed..041) provides further evidence for breast cancer risk factor locating on 22q12-q13, possibly being TMPRSS6. Our results suggest that matriptase-2 gene is associated with breast cancer risk in the Eastern Finnish population. ..
- Mulo P. Chloroplast-targeted ferredoxin-NADP(+) oxidoreductase (FNR): structure, function and location. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1807:927-34 pubmed publisher..TROL-FNR complexes, however, have an impact on the photosynthetic performance of the plants. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Regulation of Electron Transport in Chloroplasts. ..
- Koponen O, Takala T, Saarela U, Qiao M, Saris P. Distribution of the NisI immunity protein and enhancement of nisin activity by the lipid-free NisI. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004;231:85-90 pubmed..Purified LF-NisI was shown to enhance the activity of nisin against several tested indicator strains. The enhancement of nisin activity by LF-NisI was not observed with cells containing the NisFEG transport system. ..
- Holmberg V, Jalanko A, Isosomppi J, Fabritius A, Peltonen L, Kopra O. The mouse ortholog of the neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis CLN5 gene encodes a soluble lysosomal glycoprotein expressed in the developing brain. Neurobiol Dis. 2004;16:29-40 pubmed..In vitro expression of Cln5 in COS-1, HeLa, and neuronal cells further implied that mouse Cln5 is a soluble lysosomal glycoprotein, closely resembling human CLN5. ..
- Rinta Valkama J, Aaltonen P, Lassila M, Palmen T, Tossavainen P, Knip M, et al. Densin and filtrin in the pancreas and in the kidney, targets for humoral autoimmunity in patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2007;23:119-26 pubmed..Densin is a novel molecule shared by the kidney glomerular podocytes and pancreatic islet cells. Densin and filtrin can act as autoantigens, and autoantibodies against these can be detected in patients with type 1 diabetes. ..
- Verkhovskaya M, Barquera B, Verkhovsky M, Wikstrom M. The Na+ and K+ transport deficiency of an E. coli mutant lacking the NhaA and NhaB proteins is apparent and caused by impaired osmoregulation. FEBS Lett. 1998;439:271-4 pubmed..We suggest that this mutant is primarily deficient in osmoregulation rather than in cation transport per se. ..
- Jänis M, Metso J, Lankinen H, Strandin T, Olkkonen V, Rye K, et al. Apolipoprotein E activates the low-activity form of human phospholipid transfer protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;331:333-40 pubmed..These observations suggest that PLTP is capable of interacting with apoE, apoA-I, and apoA-IV, and that these interactions regulate PLTP-activity levels in plasma. ..
- Vahisalu T, Kollist H, Wang Y, Nishimura N, Chan W, Valerio G, et al. SLAC1 is required for plant guard cell S-type anion channel function in stomatal signalling. Nature. 2008;452:487-91 pubmed publisher..A low homology of SLAC1 to bacterial and fungal organic acid transport proteins, and the permeability of S-type anion channels to malate suggest a vital role for SLAC1 in the function of S-type anion channels. ..
- Toikkanen J, Miller K, Söderlund H, Jantti J, Keränen S. The beta subunit of the Sec61p endoplasmic reticulum translocon interacts with the exocyst complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20946-53 pubmed..These findings propose a novel functional and physical link between the endoplasmic reticulum translocation complex and the exocyst. ..
- Kalesnykas G, Roschier U, Puoliväli J, Wang J, Miettinen R. The effect of aging on the subcellular distribution of estrogen receptor-alpha in the cholinergic neurons of transgenic and wild-type mice. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:1437-42 pubmed..We propose that this phenomenon is linked to those age-related processes known to be involved in inhibiting ERalpha binding to nuclei. ..
- Levula M, Paavonen T, Valo T, Pelto Huikko M, Laaksonen R, Kahonen M, et al. A disintegrin and metalloprotease -8 and -15 and susceptibility for ascending aortic dissection. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2011;71:515-22 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS. The involvement of ADAM8 and -15 together with inflammation consisting of B-cells may indicate active remodelling of the aortic wall leading to AD. ..
- Erkinheimo T, Saukkonen K, Narko K, Jalkanen J, Ylikorkala O, Ristimaki A. Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and prostanoid receptors by human myometrium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000;85:3468-75 pubmed..As, in addition to Cox-2, the expression of prostanoid receptors is regulated, not only the production of prostanoids, but also responsiveness to them, may be modulated. ..
- Verkkoniemi A, Kalimo H, Paetau A, Somer M, Iwatsubo T, Hardy J, et al. Variant Alzheimer disease with spastic paraparesis: neuropathological phenotype. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2001;60:483-92 pubmed
- Savolainen K, Kotti T, Schmitz W, Savolainen T, Sormunen R, Ilves M, et al. A mouse model for alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase deficiency: adjustment of bile acid synthesis and intolerance to dietary methyl-branched lipids. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:955-65 pubmed..Based upon our mouse model, we propose elimination of phytol from the diet of patients suffering from Amacr deficiency. ..
- Lehto M, Hynynen R, Karjalainen K, Kuismanen E, Hyvärinen K, Olkkonen V. Targeting of OSBP-related protein 3 (ORP3) to endoplasmic reticulum and plasma membrane is controlled by multiple determinants. Exp Cell Res. 2005;310:445-62 pubmed..Based on the present data, we introduce a model for the inter-relationships of the functional domains of ORP3 in the membrane targeting of the protein. ..
- Tuomi S, Mai A, Nevo J, Laine J, Vilkki V, Ohman T, et al. PKCepsilon regulation of an alpha5 integrin-ZO-1 complex controls lamellae formation in migrating cancer cells. Sci Signal. 2009;2:ra32 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, PKCepsilon activation drives the formation of a spatially restricted, promigratory alpha(5)-ZO-1 complex at the leading edge of lung cancer cells. ..
- Sainio K, Gilbert S, Lehtonen E, Nishi M, Kumar N, Gilula N, et al. Differential expression of gap junction mRNAs and proteins in the developing murine kidney and in experimentally induced nephric mesenchymes. Development. 1992;115:827-37 pubmed..The latter gene products might be correlated with the physiological activity of the proximal tubules in vivo, as they are not expressed in experimentally induced tubules detectable with markers for proximal tubules. ..
- Peltonen S, Hentula M, Hagg P, Ylä Outinen H, Tuukkanen J, Lakkakorpi J, et al. A novel component of epidermal cell-matrix and cell-cell contacts: transmembrane protein type XIII collagen. J Invest Dermatol. 1999;113:635-42 pubmed
- Mrena J, Wiksten J, Thiel A, Kokkola A, Pohjola L, Lundin J, et al. Cyclooxygenase-2 is an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer and its expression is regulated by the messenger RNA stability factor HuR. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:7362-8 pubmed..Cytoplasmic expression of HuR associates with high COX-2 expression and with reduced survival, and tissue culture experiments show that HuR can regulate expression of COX-2 in gastric cancer cells. ..
- Takatalo M, Tummers M, Thesleff I, Ronnholm R. Novel Golgi protein, GoPro49, is a specific dental follicle marker. J Dent Res. 2009;88:534-8 pubmed publisher..Bsp1, bone sialoprotein 1; GoPro49, Golgi protein 49 kDa; E16, embryonic day 16; HERS, Hertwig's epithelial root sheath; PDL, periodontal ligament; dpn, day post-natal. ..
- Berndt S, Camp N, Skibola C, Vijai J, Wang Z, Gu J, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies discovers multiple loci for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10933 pubmed publisher..2 (rs1274963, CSRNP1, P=2.12 × 10(-7)). Pathway analyses of new and known CLL loci consistently show a strong role for apoptosis, providing further evidence for the importance of this biological pathway in CLL susceptibility. ..
- Jauhiainen M, Huuskonen J, Baumann M, Metso J, Oka T, Egashira T, et al. Phospholipid transfer protein (PLTP) causes proteolytic cleavage of apolipoprotein A-I. J Lipid Res. 1999;40:654-64 pubmed..The present results raise the question of whether PLTP-mediated proteolytic cleavage of apoA-I might affect plasma HDL metabolism by generating a novel kinetic compartment of apoA-I with an increased turnover rate. ..
- Laurikkala J, Pispa J, Jung H, Nieminen P, Mikkola M, Wang X, et al. Regulation of hair follicle development by the TNF signal ectodysplasin and its receptor Edar. Development. 2002;129:2541-53 pubmed..In conclusion, we suggest that Eda and Edar are associated with the onset of ectodermal patterning and that ectodysplasin/edar signaling also regulates the morphogenesis of hair follicles. ..
- Bizik J, Kankuri E, Ristimaki A, Taieb A, Vapaatalo H, Lubitz W, et al. Cell-cell contacts trigger programmed necrosis and induce cyclooxygenase-2 expression. Cell Death Differ. 2004;11:183-95 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that cell-cell contacts induce an actively programmed necrotic process that functionally involves COX-2, a known hallmark of inflammation and cancer. ..
- Wasik A, Polianskyte Prause Z, Dong M, Shaw A, Yates J, Farquhar M, et al. Septin 7 forms a complex with CD2AP and nephrin and regulates glucose transporter trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3370-9 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that septin 7 hinders GSV trafficking and further, the interaction of septin 7 with nephrin in glomeruli suggests that septin 7 may participate in the regulation of glucose transport in podocytes. ..
- Hänninen A, Taylor C, Streeter P, Stark L, Sarte J, Shizuru J, et al. Vascular addressins are induced on islet vessels during insulitis in nonobese diabetic mice and are involved in lymphoid cell binding to islet endothelium. J Clin Invest. 1993;92:2509-15 pubmed..This suggests that these adhesion molecules play a role in the pathogenesis of diabetes in these mice by being involved in the migration of lymphocytes from blood into the inflamed pancreas. ..
- Westberg J, Entler B, Prohaska R, Schröder J. The gene coding for erythrocyte protein band 7.2b (EPB72) is located in band q34.1 of human chromosome 9. Cytogenet Cell Genet. 1993;63:241-3 pubmed..A cDNA clone coding for this protein was used as a probe to determine the chromosomal localization of the gene (EPB72). Southern blot analysis of somatic cell hybrid DNA panels localized the human EPB72 gene to chromosome band 9q34.1. ..
- Lehtonen S, Riento K, Olkkonen V, Lehtonen E. Syntaxin 3 and Munc-18-2 in epithelial cells during kidney development. Kidney Int. 1999;56:815-26 pubmed..The results show that Munc-18-2 and syntaxin 3 form a complex in vivo and suggest that they participate in epithelial cell differentiation and targeted vesicle transport processes in the developing kidney. ..
- Poussu A, Lohi O, Lehto V. Vear, a novel Golgi-associated protein with VHS and gamma-adaptin "ear" domains. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:7176-83 pubmed..Tissue-specific function of Vear is suggested by its high level of expression in kidney, muscle, and heart. ..
- Kivela T, Jaaskelainen J, Vaheri A, Carpen O. Ezrin, a membrane-organizing protein, as a polarization marker of the retinal pigment epithelium in vertebrates. Cell Tissue Res. 2000;301:217-23 pubmed..The ezrin gene on human chromosome 6q25-26 is consequently a candidate gene for causing retinal degenerations. ..
- Turunen M, Talvensaari Mattila A, Soini Y, Santala M. Claudin-5 overexpression correlates with aggressive behavior in serous ovarian adenocarcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:5185-9 pubmed..Only 25-30% of claudin-5-positive patients, but 60% of claudin-5-negative patiens were alive at the 5-years follow-up. Increased claudin-5 expression is associated with aggressive behavior in serous ovarian adenocarcinoma. ..
- Hyysalo J, Stojkovic I, Kotronen A, Hakkarainen A, Sevastianova K, Makkonen J, et al. Genetic variation in PNPLA3 but not APOC3 influences liver fat in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27:951-6 pubmed publisher..2%) genotype. The PNPLA3 rs738409 was also an independent predictor of liver fat, together with age, gender, and body mass index. Genetic variants in PNPLA3 but not APOC3 contribute to the variance in liver fat content due to NAFLD. ..
- EvilÃ¤ A, Arumilli M, Udd B, Hackman P. Targeted next-generation sequencing assay for detection of mutations in primary myopathies. Neuromuscul Disord. 2016;26:7-15 pubmed publisher..MyoCap provides higher read depth and coverage with lower price in the myopathy related genes compared to the whole exome sequencing and is thus very suitable for diagnostic use. ..
- Mitsiadis T, Lardelli M, Lendahl U, Thesleff I. Expression of Notch 1, 2 and 3 is regulated by epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and retinoic acid in the developing mouse tooth and associated with determination of ameloblast cell fate. J Cell Biol. 1995;130:407-18 pubmed..These data suggest that Notch genes may be involved in mediating some of the biological effects of retinoic acid during normal development and after teratogenic exposure. ..
- Kauppi M, Simonsen A, Bremnes B, Vieira A, Callaghan J, Stenmark H, et al. The small GTPase Rab22 interacts with EEA1 and controls endosomal membrane trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:899-911 pubmed..These results suggest that Rab22a may regulate the dynamic interactions of endosomal compartments and it may be involved in the communication between the biosynthetic and early endocytic pathways. ..
- Fatal N, Suntio T, Makarow M. Selective protein exit from yeast endoplasmic reticulum in absence of functional COPII coat component Sec13p. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:4130-40 pubmed..Thus, Hsp150 harbors two different signatures that regulate its ER exit. Our data show that transport vesicles lacking functional Sec13p can carry out ER-to-Golgi transport, but select only specific cargo protein(s) for ER exit. ..
- Ranta S, Topcu M, Tegelberg S, Tan H, Ustübütün A, Saatci I, et al. Variant late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis in a subset of Turkish patients is allelic to Northern epilepsy. Hum Mutat. 2004;23:300-5 pubmed..The molecular genetic background of the Turkish vLINCL families not linked to CLN8 remains to be clarified. ..
- Kopra O, Vesa J, von Schantz C, Manninen T, Minye H, Fabritius A, et al. A mouse model for Finnish variant late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis, CLN5, reveals neuropathology associated with early aging. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:2893-906 pubmed..Since the Cln5-/- mice do not exhibit significant brain atrophy, these mice could serve as models for studies on molecular processes associated with advanced aging. ..
- Chi L, Itäranta P, Zhang S, Vainio S. Sprouty2 is involved in male sex organogenesis by controlling fibroblast growth factor 9-induced mesonephric cell migration to the developing testis. Endocrinology. 2006;147:3777-88 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that the Sprouty proteins are involved normally in mediating the sexually dimorphic signaling of FGF9 and controlling cell migration from the mesonephros during testis development. ..