Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- Mukherjee D, Emery E, Majeed R, Heshmati K, Hashemi H. A Real-World Experience Comparison of Percutaneous and Open Femoral Exposure for Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair in a Tertiary Medical Center. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2017;51:269-273 pubmed publisher..Patients undergoing PEVAR tend to have a shorter length of stay. Overall complication rate was similar in the two groups. We recommend PEVAR for patients with appropriate anatomy. ..
- Sau P, Lupton G, Graham J. Trichogerminoma. Report of 14 cases. J Cutan Pathol. 1992;19:357-65 pubmed..The trichogerminomas behaved in a benign fashion with one exception. Complete excision of the lesions is the treatment of choice. ..
- Turner C, Ku L, Rogers S, Lindberg L, Pleck J, Sonenstein F. Adolescent sexual behavior, drug use, and violence: increased reporting with computer survey technology. Science. 1998;280:867-73 pubmed..Increased reporting was also found for several other risk behaviors. ..
- Haque R, UlcickasYood M, Xu X, Cassidy Bushrow A, Tsai H, Keating N, et al. Cardiovascular disease risk and androgen deprivation therapy in patients with localised prostate cancer: a prospective cohort study. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:1233-1240 pubmed publisher..As androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) is increasingly being used in men with localised prostate cancer, our goal was to examine the association between ADT and the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Skakkebæk A, Moore P, Pedersen A, Bojesen A, Kristensen M, Fedder J, et al. The role of genes, intelligence, personality, and social engagement in cognitive performance in Klinefelter syndrome. Brain Behav. 2017;7:e00645 pubmed publisher..Future longitudinal research would be important to further clarify this and other issues discussed in this research. ..
- Mihailoff M, Deb S, Lee J, Lynn J. The Effects of Multiple Chronic Conditions on Adult Patient Readmissions and Hospital Finances: A Management Case Study. Inquiry. 2017;54:46958017729597 pubmed publisher..These findings counter the common claim that the hospital would do better to fill beds rather than to work on efficient utilization. Other hospitals could replicate these analyses to understand their situations. ..
- Jungerman M, Vonnahme L, Washburn F, Alvarado Ramy F. Federal travel restrictions to prevent disease transmission in the United States: An analysis of requested travel restrictions. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;18:30-35 pubmed publisher..In addition, they are effective tools available to public health agencies to prevent commercial travel of individuals with certain communicable diseases and possibly reconnect them with public health authorities. ..
- Nana Djeunga H, Tchouakui M, Njitchouang G, Tchatchueng Mbougua J, Nwane P, Domche A, et al. First evidence of lymphatic filariasis transmission interruption in Cameroon: Progress towards elimination. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005633 pubmed publisher..Post-MDA surveillance activities should be organized to evaluate whether recrudescence can occur. ..
- Edsall L, Spiegel S. Enzymatic measurement of sphingosine 1-phosphate. Anal Biochem. 1999;272:80-6 pubmed
- Brodbeck B, Andersen P, Oden S, Mizell R, McKamey S, Zapata M. The Distribution of Cicadellinae Leafhoppers and Other Auchenorrhyncha on Coffee and Citrus in Puerto Rico. Environ Entomol. 2017;46:511-520 pubmed publisher..Caribovia coffeacola, Cicadellinae, coffee, Xylella fastidiosa. ..
- Johnson G, Brane D, Block W, van Kammen D, Gurklis J, Peters J, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid protein variations in common to Alzheimer's disease and schizophrenia. Appl Theor Electrophor. 1992;3:47-53 pubmed..They may also indicate a common pathophysiology between these diseases. ..
- Kennedy E, Ohls J, Carlson S, Fleming K. The Healthy Eating Index: design and applications. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995;95:1103-8 pubmed..The HEI is a useful index of overall diet quality of the consumer. The US Department of Agriculture will use the HEI to monitor changes in dietary intake over time and as the basis of nutrition promotion activities for the population. ..
- Kurtzke J. Epidemiologic evidence for multiple sclerosis as an infection. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1993;6:382-427 pubmed..I believe that clinical MS is the rare late outcome of a specific, but unknown, infectious disease of adolescence and young adulthood and that this infection could well be caused by a thus-far-unidentified (retro)virus. ..
- Emery R, Korj O, Agarwal R. A Review of In-Office Dynamic Image Navigation for Extraction of Complex Mandibular Third Molars. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:1591-1600 pubmed publisher..Possible limitations of the use of an in-office DINS include increased cost, increased time attributed to presurgical planning, initial learning curve, and optical array interference by the surgeon or assistants during surgery. ..
- Kosiborod M, Cavender M, Fu A, Wilding J, Khunti K, Holl R, et al. Lower Risk of Heart Failure and Death in Patients Initiated on Sodium-Glucose Cotransporter-2 Inhibitors Versus Other Glucose-Lowering Drugs: The CVD-REAL Study (Comparative Effectiveness of Cardiovascular Outcomes in New Users of Sodium-Glucose Cotr. Circulation. 2017;136:249-259 pubmed publisher..URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov. Unique identifier: NCT02993614. ..
- Rogal S, McCarthy R, Reid A, Rodriguez K, Calgaro L, Patel K, et al. Primary Care and Hepatology Provider-Perceived Barriers to and Facilitators of Hepatitis C Treatment Candidacy and Adherence. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1933-1943 pubmed publisher..These data provide novel insights and suggest focusing on patient, provider, and system-level strategies to further improve HCV treatment initiation and adherence. ..
- Oldenburg J, Mahlangu J, Kim B, Schmitt C, Callaghan M, Young G, et al. Emicizumab Prophylaxis in Hemophilia A with Inhibitors. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:809-818 pubmed publisher..This phase 3, multicenter trial assessed once-weekly subcutaneous emicizumab prophylaxis in persons with hemophilia A with factor VIII inhibitors...
- Long G, Atkinson V, Cebon J, Jameson M, Fitzharris B, McNeil C, et al. Standard-dose pembrolizumab in combination with reduced-dose ipilimumab for patients with advanced melanoma (KEYNOTE-029): an open-label, phase 1b trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1202-1210 pubmed publisher..A randomised phase 2 trial of alternative dosing strategies of this combination is underway. Merck & Co, Inc. ..
- Klein E, Levin S, Toerper M, Makowsky M, Xu T, Cole G, et al. The Effect of Medicaid Expansion on Utilization in Maryland Emergency Departments. Ann Emerg Med. 2017;70:607-614.e1 pubmed publisher..Returning patients newly enrolled in Medicaid visited the ED more than their uninsured counterparts; however, this cohort accounted for only a small percentage of total ED visits in Maryland. ..
- Xie J, Eshtehardi P, Varghese T, Goyal A, Mehta P, Kang W, et al. Prognostic Significance of Nonobstructive Left Main Coronary Artery Disease in Women Versus Men: Long-Term Outcomes From the CONFIRM (Coronary CT Angiography Evaluation For Clinical Outcomes: An International Multicenter) Registry. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..Recognizing the sex-specific prognostic significance of nonobstructive LM plaque may augment risk stratification efforts. ..
- Ruben M, Blosnich J, DICHTER M, Luscri L, Shipherd J. Will Veterans Answer Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Questions?. Med Care. 2017;55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2:S85-S89 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that future research should investigate Veterans' perspectives on being asked about SOGI in research settings and as part of routine clinical care. ..
- Lehavot K, Katon J, Simpson T, Shipherd J. Transgender Veterans' Satisfaction With Care and Unmet Health Needs. Med Care. 2017;55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2:S90-S96 pubmed publisher..Further, many report delaying accessing care, particularly those with depression and/or posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms. Adapting health care settings to better engage these vulnerable Veterans may be necessary. ..
- Colligan E, Ewald E, Keating N, Parashuram S, Spafford M, Ruiz S, et al. Two Innovative Cancer Care Programs Have Potential to Reduce Utilization and Spending. Med Care. 2017;55:873-878 pubmed publisher..05), than comparison patients. The oncology medical home and patient navigator programs both showed reductions in spending or utilization. Adoption of such programs holds promise for improving cancer care. ..
- Brunie A, Lenzi R, Lahiri A, Izadnegahdar R. Leveraging the private sector for child health: a qualitative examination of caregiver and provider perspectives on private sector care for childhood pneumonia in Uttar Pradesh, India. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:159 pubmed publisher..Achieving appropriate care requires an enriched perspective that simultaneously considers the critical role of provider-caregiver interactions and of the context in which they occur in shaping treatment outcomes. ..
- Dokras A, Saini S, Gibson Helm M, Schulkin J, Cooney L, Teede H. Gaps in knowledge among physicians regarding diagnostic criteria and management of polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1380-1386.e1 pubmed publisher..Focus areas include targeting knowledge of internationally accepted Rotterdam criteria and ensuring consistent care informed by evidence-based guidelines across the reproductive, metabolic, and psychological features of PCOS. ..
- El Banna M, Whitlow M, McNelis A. Flipping around the classroom: Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing students' satisfaction and achievement. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;56:41-46 pubmed publisher..Instructors should also provide students with enough information and rationale for using the flipped classroom approach. ..
- Peterson G, Geonnotti K, Hula L, Day T, Blue L, Kranker K, et al. Association Between Extending CareFirst's Medical Home Program to Medicare Patients and Quality of Care, Utilization, and Spending. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1334-1342 pubmed publisher..If the model extension improved quality while reducing spending, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services could expand the program to Medicare beneficiaries broadly...
- Zimmerman M, Rappaport J. Citizen participation, perceived control, and psychological empowerment. Am J Community Psychol. 1988;16:725-50 pubmed..Discriminant function analyses resulted in one significant dimension, identified as pyschological empowerment, that was positively correlated with leadership and negatively correlated with alienation. ..
- Deneau M, El Matary W, Valentino P, Abdou R, Alqoaer K, Amin M, et al. The natural history of primary sclerosing cholangitis in 781 children: A multicenter, international collaboration. Hepatology. 2017;66:518-527 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:518-527). ..
- Liang J, Le T, Edwards D, Tayo B, Gaulton K, Smith J, et al. Single-trait and multi-trait genome-wide association analyses identify novel loci for blood pressure in African-ancestry populations. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006728 pubmed publisher..Our study provides new evidence for genes related to hypertension susceptibility, and the need to study African-ancestry populations in order to identify biologic factors contributing to hypertension...
- Beresin G, Wright J, Rice G, Jagai J. Swine exposure and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection among hospitalized patients with skin and soft tissue infections in Illinois: A ZIP code-level analysis. Environ Res. 2017;159:46-60 pubmed publisher..Future research can address measurement error related to these data by improving exposure assessment precision, increased specification of MRSA strain, and better characterization of specific environmental exposure pathways. ..
- Nelson K, Hempel B, Clasen M, Rice K, Riley A. Conditioned taste avoidance, conditioned place preference and hyperthermia induced by the second generation 'bath salt' α-pyrrolidinopentiophenone (α-PVP). Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2017;156:48-55 pubmed publisher..Similar to other drugs of abuse, α-PVP has both aversive and rewarding effects. It will be important to assess how various experiential and subject variables impact these effects and their balance to predict abuse liability. ..
- Kennedy S, Bailey R, Jaffee K, Markus A, Gerstein M, Stevens D, et al. Effectiveness of Evidence-Based Asthma Interventions. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..Evidence-based interventions can be successfully adapted into primary care settings that serve impoverished, high-risk populations, reducing the morbidity of asthma in these high-need populations. ..
- Lam P, Dooley D, Deedwania P, Singh S, Bhatt D, Morgan C, et al. Heart Rate and Outcomes in Hospitalized Patients With Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1861-1871 pubmed publisher..Among hospitalized patients with HFpEF, a lower discharge heart rate was independently associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality, but not readmission. ..
- Gu A, Bauman N. Bipolar Radiofrequency Ablation (Coblation) of External Auditory Canal Lymphatic Malformation and Other Soft Stenoses. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:835-838 pubmed publisher..Occlusion of the EAC can be challenging to treat as the area is prone to circumferential scarring...
- Petersen R, Thomas R, Aisen P, Mohs R, Carrillo M, Albert M. Randomized controlled trials in mild cognitive impairment: Sources of variability. Neurology. 2017;88:1751-1758 pubmed publisher..Several explanations including instruments used to characterize participants and variability among study populations contributed to the findings. ..
- Mark D, Taing L, Cluver L, Collins C, Iorpenda K, Andrade C, et al. What is it going to take to move youth-related HIV programme policies into practice in Africa?. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017;20:21491 pubmed publisher..Only by moving from policy to practice through supportive policies and their implementation will we be closer to including adolescents in the 2030 goal of ending AIDS. ..
- Xanthopoulos M, Walega R, Xiao R, Prasad D, Pipan M, Zemel B, et al. Caregiver-Reported Quality of Life in Youth with Down Syndrome. J Pediatr. 2017;189:98-104.e1 pubmed publisher..Obesity influences most domains of weight-related QOL in youth with and without DS; therefore, providers should address weight concerns in youth with obesity even in the presence of DS. NCT01821300. ..
- Morita A, Meyer F, Laws E. Symptomatic pituitary metastases. J Neurosurg. 1998;89:69-73 pubmed..Aggressive treatment including both surgical decompression and radiation therapy improves the quality of life in patients suffering from symptomatic pituitary metastasis. ..
- Agarwala S, Lee S, Yip W, Rao U, Tarhini A, Cohen G, et al. Phase III Randomized Study of 4 Weeks of High-Dose Interferon-?-2b in Stage T2bNO, T3a-bNO, T4a-bNO, and T1-4N1a-2a (microscopic) Melanoma: A Trial of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group-American College of Radiology Imaging Network Cancer Researc. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:885-892 pubmed publisher..Conclusion Four weeks of IV induction as part of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group high-dose IFN regimen is not better than OBS alone for patients with intermediate-risk melanoma as defined in this trial...
- Rope R, Pivert K, Parker M, Sozio S, Merell S. Education in Nephrology Fellowship: A Survey-Based Needs Assessment. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:1983-1990 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, current nephrology fellows perceive several gaps in training. Innovation in education and training is needed to better prepare future nephrologists for the growing challenges of kidney care. ..
- PeÃ±alvo J, Cudhea F, Micha R, Rehm C, Afshin A, Whitsel L, et al. The potential impact of food taxes and subsidies on cardiovascular disease and diabetes burden and disparities in the United States. BMC Med. 2017;15:208 pubmed publisher..5 (95% UI 2.3-4.5) percentage points. Modest taxes and subsidies for key dietary factors could meaningfully reduce CMD and improve US disparities. ..
- Khojah I, Li S, Luo Q, Davis G, Galarraga J, Granovsky M, et al. The relative contribution of provider and ED-level factors to variation among the top 15 reasons for ED admission. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1291-1297 pubmed publisher..These findings deserve consideration when designing interventions to optimize admission decisions and in value-based payment programs. ..
- Patrick R, Greenberg A, Magnus M, Opoku J, Kharfen M, Kuo I. Development of an HIV Testing Dashboard to Complement the HIV Care Continuum Among MSM, PWID, and Heterosexuals in Washington, DC, 2007-2015. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;75 Suppl 3:S397-S407 pubmed publisher..The HIV testing dashboard can be used to complement the HIV care continuum to display improvements and disparities in HIV testing and care over time. ..
- Nosanov L, McLawhorn M, Hassan L, Travis T, Tejiram S, Johnson L, et al. Graft loss: Review of a single burn center's experience and proposal of a graft loss grading scale. J Surg Res. 2017;216:185-190 pubmed publisher..Graft loss is a major source of morbidity in burn patients. In this cohort, reoperation was common and hospital LOS was extended. Use of a grading scale improves dialog among providers and enables improved understanding of risk factors. ..
- Belperio P, Chartier M, Ross D, Alaigh P, Shulkin D. Curing Hepatitis C Virus Infection: Best Practices From the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:499-504 pubmed publisher..The VA is poised to share and extend best practices to other health care organizations and providers delivering HCV care, contributing to a concerted effort to reduce the overall burden of HCV infection...
- Awosika O, Burgess C, Grimes P. Considerations When Treating Cosmetic Concerns in Men of Color. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43 Suppl 2:S140-S150 pubmed publisher..Men of color include a diverse population encompassing individuals with Fitzpatrick skin Types IV through VI. Yet, there is a paucity of data describing the cosmetic concerns of this population...
- Musich S, Wang S, Ruiz J, Hawkins K, Wicker E. Falls-Related Drug Use and Risk of Falls Among Older Adults: A Study in a US Medicare Population. Drugs Aging. 2017;34:555-565 pubmed publisher..New users of FRDs were at highest risk of falls, and continuing users were at increased risk, especially with higher numbers of FRD classes. Both groups could benefit from falls awareness and prevention programs. ..
- Nguyen P, González Casanova I, Young M, Truong T, Hoang H, Nguyen H, et al. Preconception Micronutrient Supplementation with Iron and Folic Acid Compared with Folic Acid Alone Affects Linear Growth and Fine Motor Development at 2 Years of Age: A Randomized Controlled Trial in Vietnam. J Nutr. 2017;147:1593-1601 pubmed publisher..Future studies should examine whether these effects persist and improve child health and schooling. The trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01665378. ..
- Shinnar R, Shinnar S, Cnaan A, Clark P, Dlugos D, Hirtz D, et al. Pretreatment behavior and subsequent medication effects in childhood absence epilepsy. Neurology. 2017;89:1698-1706 pubmed publisher..NCT00088452. This study provides Class II evidence that for children with CAE, valproic acid is associated with worse behavioral outcomes than ethosuximide or lamotrigine. ..
- So Armah K, Lim J, Lo Re V, Tate J, Chang C, Butt A, et al. FIB-4 stage of liver fibrosis predicts incident heart failure among HIV-infected and uninfected patients. Hepatology. 2017;66:1286-1295 pubmed publisher..Hepatology 2017;66:1286-1295). ..
- de la Rosa R, Steinmaus C, Akers N, Conde L, Ferreccio C, Kalman D, et al. Associations between arsenic (+3 oxidation state) methyltransferase (AS3MT) and N-6 adenine-specific DNA methyltransferase 1 (N6AMT1) polymorphisms, arsenic metabolism, and cancer risk in a chilean population. Environ Mol Mutagen. 2017;58:411-422 pubmed publisher..This research could help identify subpopulations that are particularly vulnerable to arsenic-related disease. Environ. Mol. Mutagen. 58:411-422, 2017. © 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Lee W, Kristensen A, Rasmussen T, Tolstrup M, Ã˜stergaard L, SÃ¸gaard O, et al. Anti-HIV-1 ADCC Antibodies following Latency Reversal and Treatment Interruption. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our study has implications for the antigenic stimulus required for antilatency strategies and/or therapeutic vaccines to boost functional antibodies and assist in eliminating the latent reservoir. ..
- Oliveira G, Oliveira S, Botelho P, Oliveira M, Bian K, Murad F. Tadalafil: Protective Action against the Development of Multiple Organ Failure Syndrome. Braz J Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;32:312-317 pubmed publisher..50% (P<0.05) of the experimentally-induced MOFS gravity scores. The phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitor, tadalafil, in the doses and timing utilized, showed to protect against the experimentally-induced MOFS. ..
- Rossi A, Eviatar J, Green J, Anolik R, Eidelman M, Keaney T, et al. Signs of Facial Aging in Men in a Diverse, Multinational Study: Timing and Preventive Behaviors. Dermatol Surg. 2017;43 Suppl 2:S210-S220 pubmed publisher..Men are a growing patient population in aesthetic medicine and are increasingly seeking minimally invasive cosmetic procedures...
- Green S, Meltzer M, Hibbs J, Nacy C. Activated macrophages destroy intracellular Leishmania major amastigotes by an L-arginine-dependent killing mechanism. J Immunol. 1990;144:278-83 pubmed..Nitric oxide synthesized from a terminal guanidino nitrogen atom of L-arginine and a precursor of the nitrite measured, may disrupt Fe-dependent enzymatic pathways vital to the survival of amastigotes within macrophages. ..
- Lincoff A, Nicholls S, Riesmeyer J, Barter P, Brewer H, Fox K, et al. Evacetrapib and Cardiovascular Outcomes in High-Risk Vascular Disease. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1933-1942 pubmed publisher..Funded by Eli Lilly; ACCELERATE ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT01687998 .). ..
- Kijak G, Sanders Buell E, Chenine A, Eller M, Goonetilleke N, Thomas R, et al. Rare HIV-1 transmitted/founder lineages identified by deep viral sequencing contribute to rapid shifts in dominant quasispecies during acute and early infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006510 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that early, deep, and frequent sampling is needed to investigate viral/host interaction during AHI, which could help identify prerequisites for prevention and cure of HIV-1 infection. ..
- Amarante L, Caetano M, Laubach M. Medial Frontal Theta Is Entrained to Rewarded Actions. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10757-10769 pubmed publisher..Two other major findings were that the MFC reward signals persist beyond the period of fluid delivery and are generated by neurons within the MFC. ..
- Brown S, Abbas S, Davies M, Bunupuradah T, Sohn A, Technau K, et al. Brief Report: Pediatric Cancer Burden and Treatment Resources Within the Pediatric IeDEA Consortium. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;76:60-64 pubmed publisher..Increased financial and technical resources are critical to aid in the advancement of health services to support treatment of these children in resource-constrained settings. ..
- Gouveia M, Pakharukova M, Laha T, Sripa B, Maksimova G, Rinaldi G, et al. Infection with Opisthorchis felineus induces intraepithelial neoplasia of the biliary tract in a rodent model. Carcinogenesis. 2017;38:929-937 pubmed publisher..The consonance of these biochemical and histopathological changes revealed that O. felineus infection in this rodent model induced precancerous lesions conducive to malignancy. ..
- Derderian S, Bridenbaugh R, Rajagopal K. Neuropsychologic symptoms in obstructive sleep apnea improve after treatment with nasal continuous positive airway pressure. Chest. 1988;94:1023-7 pubmed..These psychologic disturbances improve after treatment with NCPAP. ..
- Aksamit T, O Donnell A, Barker A, Olivier K, Winthrop K, Daniels M, et al. Adult Patients With Bronchiectasis: A First Look at the US Bronchiectasis Research Registry. Chest. 2017;151:982-992 pubmed publisher..Adult patients with bronchiectasis enrolled in the US BRR are described, with differences noted in demographic, radiographic, microbiological, and treatment variables based on stratification of the presence of NTM. ..
- Kokkinos P, Faselis C, Narayan P, Myers J, Nylen E, Sui X, et al. Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Incidence of Type 2 Diabetes in United States Veterans on Statin Therapy. Am J Med. 2017;130:1192-1198 pubmed publisher..The increased risk was evident only in relatively low-fitness patients. Improving fitness may modulate the potential diabetogenic effects of statins. ..
- Yeung K, Klug P, Lessin L. Alcohol-induced vacuolization in bone marrow cells: ultrastructure and mechanism of formation. Blood Cells. 1988;13:487-502 pubmed..The critical alcohol concentration for vacuolization was 62.5 mg/dl. The proportion of cells developing vacuoles appeared to correlate with the concentration of alcohol particularly above levels of 250 mg/dl. ..
- Haycock P, Burgess S, Nounu A, Zheng J, Okoli G, Bowden J, et al. Association Between Telomere Length and Risk of Cancer and Non-Neoplastic Diseases: A Mendelian Randomization Study. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:636-651 pubmed publisher..28-0.61]) and interstitial lung disease (OR, 0.09 [95% CI, 0.05-0.15]). It is likely that longer telomeres increase risk for several cancers but reduce risk for some non-neoplastic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Kantarjian H, Stein A, Gökbuget N, Fielding A, Schuh A, Ribera J, et al. Blinatumomab versus Chemotherapy for Advanced Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:836-847 pubmed publisher..Treatment with blinatumomab resulted in significantly longer overall survival than chemotherapy among adult patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor ALL. (Funded by Amgen; TOWER ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT02013167 .). ..
- Ong C, Loke Y, Opfermann J, Olivieri L, Vricella L, Krieger A, et al. Virtual Surgery for Conduit Reconstruction of the Right Ventricular Outflow Tract. World J Pediatr Congenit Heart Surg. 2017;8:391-393 pubmed publisher..Here we describe a case in which virtual cardiac surgery aided us in determining the optimal conduit size to use for the reconstruction of the right ventricular outflow tract...
- Mudd P, Thottathil P, Giordano T, Wetmore R, Elden L, Jawad A, et al. Association Between Ibuprofen Use and Severity of Surgically Managed Posttonsillectomy Hemorrhage. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;143:712-717 pubmed publisher..The severity of bleeding is difficult to quantify but may be a more important outcome to measure...
- Wang E, Inaba K, Byerly S, Mendelsberg R, Sava J, Benjamin E, et al. Safety of early ambulation following blunt abdominal solid organ injury: A prospective observational study. Am J Surg. 2017;214:402-406 pubmed publisher..Median total LOS was two days and five days for early vs. late ambulation, p < 0.001. Early ambulation is safe in patients undergoing non-operative management of their solid organ injury, and may result in a reduced length of stay. ..
- Lilley E, Morris M, Sadovnikoff N, Luxford J, Changoor N, Bystricky A, et al. "Taking over somebody's life": Experiences of surrogate decision-makers in the surgical intensive care unit. Surgery. 2017;162:453-460 pubmed publisher..Future work is needed to identify and manage the informational needs of surrogate decision-makers. ..
- Block M, Emery R, Cullum D, Sheikh A. Implant Placement Is More Accurate Using Dynamic Navigation. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75:1377-1386 pubmed publisher..05) using navigation. Accuracy and precision for implant placement were achieved using dynamic navigation. The use of this type of method results in smaller deviations from the planned placement compared with FH approaches. ..
- Rotsides J, Krakovsky G, Pillai D, Sehgal S, Collins M, Noelke C, et al. Is a Multidisciplinary Aerodigestive Clinic More Effective at Treating Recalcitrant Aerodigestive Complaints Than a Single Specialist?. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:537-543 pubmed publisher..The ADC team approach resulted in resolved to markedly improved symptoms in 73% of patients whose symptoms persisted despite seeing a single specialist prior to referral. ..
- Thornton K, Mitchell M. Autonomic dysfunction: A guide for FPs. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:539-543 pubmed..Impotence, bladder dysfunction, GI symptoms, and orthostatic hypotension can signal autonomic dysfunction. Here's what you'll see and how to respond. ..
- Goyal M, Johnson T, Chamberlain J, Casper T, Simmons T, Alessandrini E, et al. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Antibiotic Use for Viral Illness in Emergency Departments. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Future research should seek to understand why racial and ethnic differences in overprescribing exist, including parental expectations, provider perceptions of parental expectations, and implicit provider bias. ..
- Ferrada P, Callcut R, Zielinski M, Bruns B, Yeh D, Zakrison T, et al. Loop ileostomy versus total colectomy as surgical treatment for Clostridium difficile-associated disease: An Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma multicenter trial. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:36-40 pubmed publisher..In this study, LI carried less mortality than TC. In patients without contraindications, LI should be considered for the surgical treatment of CDAD. Therapeutic study, level III. ..
- O Byrne M, Kim S, Hornik C, Yerokun B, Matsouaka R, Jacobs J, et al. Effect of Obesity and Underweight Status on Perioperative Outcomes of Congenital Heart Operations in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults: An Analysis of Data From the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Database. Circulation. 2017;136:704-718 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to determine whether BMI represents a modifiable risk factor for perioperative outcome. ..
- Malta D, Franca E, Abreu D, Perillo R, Salmen M, Teixeira R, et al. Mortality due to noncommunicable diseases in Brazil, 1990 to 2015, according to estimates from the Global Burden of Disease study. Sao Paulo Med J. 2017;135:213-221 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, the high mortality due to violence is a warning sign. Through maintaining the current decline in NCDs, Brazil should meet the target of 25% reduction proposed by the World Health Organization by 2025. ..
- Ghasemzedah N, Hayek S, Ko Y, Eapen D, Patel R, Manocha P, et al. Pathway-Specific Aggregate Biomarker Risk Score Is Associated With Burden of Coronary Artery Disease and Predicts Near-Term Risk of Myocardial Infarction and Death. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..The clinical utility of using a 4-BRS for risk prediction and management of patients with coronary artery disease warrants further study. ..