Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on macular degeneration in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: macular degeneration
Publications139 found, 100 shown here
- Singh R, Sears J. Retinal pigment epithelial tears after pegaptanib injection for exudative age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006;142:160-2 pubmed..To report two cases of retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) tears following intravitreal pegaptanib injections for occult choroidal neovascularization...
- Xia H, Krebs M, Kaushal S, Scott E. Enhanced retinal pigment epithelium regeneration after injury in MRL/MpJ mice. Exp Eye Res. 2011;93:862-72 pubmed publisher..This model should prove useful for understanding molecular mechanisms that underlie regeneration, and for identifying factors that promote RPE regeneration in age-related macular degeneration and related diseases. ..
- Kuriyan A, Albini T, Townsend J, Rodriguez M, Pandya H, Leonard R, et al. Vision Loss after Intravitreal Injection of Autologous "Stem Cells" for AMD. N Engl J Med. 2017;376:1047-1053 pubmed publisher..After 1 year, the patients' visual acuity ranged from 20/200 to no light perception...
- Tomany S, Cruickshanks K, Klein R, Klein B, Knudtson M. Sunlight and the 10-year incidence of age-related maculopathy: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004;122:750-7 pubmed
- Chen Y, Okano K, Maeda T, Chauhan V, Golczak M, Maeda A, et al. Mechanism of all-trans-retinal toxicity with implications for stargardt disease and age-related macular degeneration. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:5059-69 pubmed publisher..A similar mechanism may be operative in human Stargardt disease and age-related macular degeneration...
- Klein R, Chou C, Klein B, Zhang X, Meuer S, Saaddine J. Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in the US population. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129:75-80 pubmed publisher..While this finding might be explained in part by possible methodological differences, these estimates are consistent with a decreasing incidence of AMD and suggest important public health care implications. ..
- Ambati J, Atkinson J, Gelfand B. Immunology of age-related macular degeneration. Nat Rev Immunol. 2013;13:438-51 pubmed publisher..We outline the diverse immune cell types, inflammatory activators and pathways that are involved. Finally, we discuss the future of inflammation-directed therapeutics to treat AMD in the growing aged population. ..
- Schultz D, Klein M, Humpert A, Luzier C, Persun V, Schain M, et al. Analysis of the ARMD1 locus: evidence that a mutation in HEMICENTIN-1 is associated with age-related macular degeneration in a large family. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:3315-23 pubmed
- Chan C, Abraham P, Meyer C, Kokame G, Kaiser P, Rauser M, et al. Optical coherence tomography-measured pigment epithelial detachment height as a predictor for retinal pigment epithelial tears associated with intravitreal bevacizumab injections. Retina. 2010;30:203-11 pubmed publisher..001]. Elevated preinjection vPED height is the single most significant predictor for RPE tears after bevacizumab injections for vPED eyes. A vPED height >400 microm is associated with a significant risk for such a complication. ..
- Klein R, Cruickshanks K, Nash S, Krantz E, Nieto F, Huang G, et al. The prevalence of age-related macular degeneration and associated risk factors. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:750-8 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that early AMD is infrequent before age 55 years but increases with age thereafter. Early AMD is related to modifiable risk factors, eg, smoking and serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level. ..
- Klein R, Myers C, Meuer S, Gangnon R, Sivakumaran T, Iyengar S, et al. Risk alleles in CFH and ARMS2 and the long-term natural history of age-related macular degeneration: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013;131:383-92 pubmed publisher..They also show that when early AMD is present, knowing the phenotype contributes more to risk assessment than knowing the genetic risk based on these 2 AMD genes. ..
- Dawson W, Dawson J, Lake K, Gonzalez Martinez J. Maculas, monkeys, models, AMD and aging. Vision Res. 2008;48:360-5 pubmed..Progression, ultrastructure and functional losses are parallel to those found in humans. ..
- Buitendijk G, Rochtchina E, Myers C, van Duijn C, Lee K, Klein B, et al. Prediction of age-related macular degeneration in the general population: the Three Continent AMD Consortium. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:2644-2655 pubmed publisher..Our prediction model is robust and distinguishes well between those who will develop late AMD and those who will not. Estimated risks were lower in these population-based studies than in previous case-control studies. ..
- Klein R, Knudtson M, Klein B. Pulmonary disease and age-related macular degeneration: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126:840-6 pubmed publisher..36; 0.15-0.86). Independent of smoking, a history of emphysema and respiratory symptoms and function are modestly but inconsistently associated with the incidence and progression of AMD. ..
- Jun G, Klein B, Klein R, Fox K, Millard C, Capriotti J, et al. Genome-wide analyses demonstrate novel loci that predispose to drusen formation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:3081-8 pubmed..The results show that APOE effects may be mediated early in the progression of ARM to AMD and thus may not be detected by standard genome scans for more severe disease. ..
- Kozlowski M. RPE cell senescence: a key contributor to age-related macular degeneration. Med Hypotheses. 2012;78:505-10 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis also points to several new prophylactic and treatment strategies for AMD. ..
- Sivakumaran T, Igo R, Kidd J, Itsara A, Kopplin L, Chen W, et al. A 32 kb critical region excluding Y402H in CFH mediates risk for age-related macular degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25598 pubmed publisher..We conclude that causal variation in this region potentially encompasses both regulatory effects at single markers and copy number. ..
- Klein R, Knudtson M, Klein B, Wong T, Cotch M, Barr G. Emphysema, airflow limitation, and early age-related macular degeneration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128:472-7 pubmed publisher..02-1.60; P = .03). Associations were not modified by race/ethnicity. Lung function and emphysema on CT scan were not cross-sectionally associated with AMD; this might be explained by the relatively low smoking exposure in this cohort. ..
- Hammond B. Possible role for dietary lutein and zeaxanthin in visual development. Nutr Rev. 2008;66:695-702 pubmed publisher..The available evidence indicates that the pigments may play a role in all three of these areas. ..
- Babizhayev M. Designation of imidazole-containing dipeptides as pharmacological chaperones. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2011;30:736-61 pubmed publisher..Current efforts are being directed towards exploring therapeutic approaches of pharmacological targeting and human drug delivery for chaperone molecules based on innovative patented strategies. ..
- Timberlake G, Omoscharka E, Quaney B, Grose S, Maino J. Effect of bilateral macular scotomas from age-related macular degeneration on reach-to-grasp hand movement. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:2540-50 pubmed publisher..Visual reaction time and MGA are directly related to PRL characteristics. Deficits in reach-to-grasp movement caused by macular scotomas are greater in degree than those reported by others for real or artificial peripheral scotomas. ..
- Rohrer B, Long Q, Coughlin B, Renner B, Huang Y, Kunchithapautham K, et al. A targeted inhibitor of the complement alternative pathway reduces RPE injury and angiogenesis in models of age-related macular degeneration. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;703:137-49 pubmed publisher..In both the in vivo and in vitro paradigm of RPE damage, a model requiring molecular events known to be involved in AMD, complement-dependent VEGF production, was confirmed. These data may open new avenues for AMD treatment strategies. ..
- Christoforidis J, Tecce N, dell Omo R, Mastropasqua R, Verolino M, Costagliola C. Age related macular degeneration and visual disability. Curr Drug Targets. 2011;12:221-33 pubmed..The support of the patient's social network is critical to patient's well-being as patients adjust to being partially sighted. ..
- Iacovelli J, Rowe G, Khadka A, Diaz Aguilar D, Spencer C, Arany Z, et al. PGC-1Î± Induces Human RPE Oxidative Metabolism and Antioxidant Capacity. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57:1038-51 pubmed publisher..This study provides important insights into the metabolic changes associated with RPE functional maturation and identifies PGC-1Î± as a potent driver of RPE mitochondrial function and antioxidant capacity. ..
- Chalam K, Malkani S, Shah V. Intravitreal dexamethasone effectively reduces postoperative inflammation after vitreoretinal surgery. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2003;34:188-92 pubmed..05). Intravitreal dexamethasone significantly alleviates postoperative inflammation after vitreous surgery and is a useful adjunct. ..
- Ambati J, Fowler B. Mechanisms of age-related macular degeneration. Neuron. 2012;75:26-39 pubmed publisher..Finally, the therapeutic potential of intervening at known mechanistic steps of AMD pathogenesis is discussed. ..
- Wang W, Connor S, Johnson E, Klein M, Hughes S, Connor W. Effect of dietary lutein and zeaxanthin on plasma carotenoids and their transport in lipoproteins in age-related macular degeneration. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85:762-9 pubmed..This finding suggests that abnormalities in the metabolism of lutein and zeaxanthin in AMD may reside in the uptake of lutein and zeaxanthin from the plasma and transport into the retina. ..
- Francis P, Hamon S, Ott J, Weleber R, Klein M. Polymorphisms in C2, CFB and C3 are associated with progression to advanced age related macular degeneration associated with visual loss. J Med Genet. 2009;46:300-7 pubmed publisher..Five genes have now been shown to be independently involved in progression from intermediate disease (before vision loss has occurred) to advanced disease in which blindness is frequent. ..
- Ulrich J, Poudyal G, Marks S, Vrabec T, Marks B, Thapa A, et al. Ocular telemedicine between Nepal and the USA: prevalence of vitreoretinal disease in rural Nepal. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:698-9 pubmed publisher..The higher prevalence of DM in Hetauda is explained as being due to a more urban lifestyle, dietary habits (more deep-fried food) and more advanced age. ..
- Lu B, Malcuit C, Wang S, Girman S, Francis P, Lemieux L, et al. Long-term safety and function of RPE from human embryonic stem cells in preclinical models of macular degeneration. Stem Cells. 2009;27:2126-35 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that hESCs could serve as a potentially safe and inexhaustible source of RPE for the efficacious treatment of a range of retinal degenerative diseases. ..
- Fritsche L, Igl W, Bailey J, Grassmann F, Sengupta S, Bragg Gresham J, et al. A large genome-wide association study of age-related macular degeneration highlights contributions of rare and common variants. Nat Genet. 2016;48:134-43 pubmed publisher..Our results support the hypothesis that rare coding variants can pinpoint causal genes within known genetic loci and illustrate that applying the approach systematically to detect new loci requires extremely large sample sizes. ..
- Caldwell G, Kakuk L, Griesinger I, Simpson S, Nowak N, Small K, et al. Bestrophin gene mutations in patients with Best vitelliform macular dystrophy. Genomics. 1999;58:98-101 pubmed..Finally, we have evidence that some mutations are associated with variable expression of the disease, suggesting the involvement of other factors or genes in the disease phenotype. ..
- Marmorstein A, Marmorstein L, Sakaguchi H, Hollyfield J. Spectral profiling of autofluorescence associated with lipofuscin, Bruch's Membrane, and sub-RPE deposits in normal and AMD eyes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002;43:2435-41 pubmed
- Qi J, Dai G, Luthert P, Chaurasia S, Hollyfield J, Weber B, et al. S156C mutation in tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases-3 induces increased angiogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19927-36 pubmed publisher..Understanding the mechanism(s) by which mutant TIMP-3 can induce abnormal neovascularization provides important insight into the pathophysiology of a number of diseases with increased angiogenesis. ..
- Hanlon J, Lee C, Chell E, Gertner M, Hansen S, Howell R, et al. Kilovoltage stereotactic radiosurgery for age-related macular degeneration: assessment of optic nerve dose and patient effective dose. Med Phys. 2009;36:3671-81 pubmed..The estimated effective dose was 0.28 mSv which is comparable to diagnostic procedures such as a head radiograph and a factor of 10 lower than a head CT scan. ..
- Ebrahem Q, Renganathan K, Sears J, Vasanji A, Gu X, Lu L, et al. Carboxyethylpyrrole oxidative protein modifications stimulate neovascularization: Implications for age-related macular degeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13480-4 pubmed..Overall, these results suggest that CEP-induced angiogenesis utilizes VEGF-independent pathways and that anti-CEP therapeutic modalities might be of value in limiting CNV in AMD...
- Thompson C, Klein B, Klein R, Xu Z, Capriotti J, Joshi T, et al. Complement factor H and hemicentin-1 in age-related macular degeneration and renal phenotypes. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2135-48 pubmed..Both genes appear to play a role in both AMD and renal pathophysiology. These findings support evidence for common pathways influencing ocular and renal function and suggest that further work is required on their common determinants. ..
- Klein M, Francis P, Rosner B, Reynolds R, Hamon S, Schultz D, et al. CFH and LOC387715/ARMS2 genotypes and treatment with antioxidants and zinc for age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1019-25 pubmed publisher..Corroboration of these analyses is needed before considering modification of current management. This is among the first pharmacogenetic studies to suggest interaction between genotype and treatment. ..
- Bakri S, Ekdawi N. Intravitreal silicone oil droplets after intravitreal drug injections. Retina. 2008;28:996-1001 pubmed publisher..The likely source of silicone oil is the needles and syringes used for the injections. ..
- Sturgill G, Bala E, Yaniglos S, Peachey N, Hagstrom S. Mutation screen of beta-crystallin genes in 274 patients with age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmic Genet. 2010;31:129-34 pubmed publisher..Although variant alleles of the CRYBB1 and CRYBB2 genes were found, none are considered pathogenic. ..
- Klein M, Ferris F, Armstrong J, Hwang T, Chew E, Bressler S, et al. Retinal precursors and the development of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1026-31 pubmed
- Ohr M, Kaiser P. Intravitreal aflibercept injection for neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2012;13:585-91 pubmed publisher..Eylea™ (aflibercept) was approved by the FDA for the treatment of wet AMD on 18 November 2011. ..
- Klein R, Klein B, Linton K. Prevalence of age-related maculopathy. The Beaver Dam Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 1992;99:933-43 pubmed..The relationships of retinal drusen, retinal pigmentary abnormalities, and macular degeneration to age and sex were studied in 4926 people between the ages of 43 and 86 years who participated in the Beaver Dam Eye Study...
- Han B, Chen X. bNEAT: a Bayesian network method for detecting epistatic interactions in genome-wide association studies. BMC Genomics. 2011;12 Suppl 2:S9 pubmed publisher..The merits of the proposed approach lie in two aspects: a suitable score for Bayesian network structure learning that can reflect higher-order epistatic interactions and a heuristic Bayesian network structure learning method. ..
- Jarrett S, Boulton M. Consequences of oxidative stress in age-related macular degeneration. Mol Aspects Med. 2012;33:399-417 pubmed publisher..This review reassesses the consequences of oxidative stress in AMD and strategies for preventing or reversing oxidative damage in retinal tissues. ..
- Ho A, Chang T, Samuel M, Williamson P, Willenbucher R, Malone T. Experience With a Subretinal Cell-based Therapy in Patients With Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age-related Macular Degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;179:67-80 pubmed publisher..Larger randomized controlled studies are required to confirm these results. Future studies would require a modified surgical approach. ..
- Boyer N, Higbee D, Currin M, Blakeley L, Chen C, Ablonczy Z, et al. Lipofuscin and N-retinylidene-N-retinylethanolamine (A2E) accumulate in retinal pigment epithelium in absence of light exposure: their origin is 11-cis-retinal. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22276-86 pubmed publisher..The physiological role of Abca4 may include the translocation of 11-cis-retinal complexes across the disk membrane...
- Francis P, Appukuttan B, Simmons E, Landauer N, Stoddard J, Hamon S, et al. Rhesus monkeys and humans share common susceptibility genes for age-related macular disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:2673-80 pubmed publisher..This is the first evidence that humans and macaques share the same genetic susceptibility factors for a common complex disease. ..
- Bakri S, Risco M, Edwards A, Pulido J. Bilateral simultaneous intravitreal injections in the office setting. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;148:66-9.e1 pubmed publisher..None of the patients requested alternating unilateral injections, after receiving bilateral injections. Patients should be counseled as to the risk of complications. ..
- Li W, Laird J, Lu L, Roychowdhury S, Nagy L, Zhou R, et al. Isolevuglandins covalently modify phosphatidylethanolamines in vivo: detection and quantitative analysis of hydroxylactam adducts. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;47:1539-52 pubmed publisher..4+/-0.1 ng/ml, n=15). Just as LG/isoLG-protein adducts provide a dosimeter of oxidative injury, this study suggests that LG/isoLG-PE-hydroxylactams are potential biomarkers for assessing risk for oxidative stress-stimulated diseases. ..
- Klein B, Howard K, Lee K, Iyengar S, Sivakumaran T, Klein R. The relationship of cataract and cataract extraction to age-related macular degeneration: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:1628-33 pubmed publisher..To examine the associations of cataract and cataract surgery with early and late age-related macular degeneration (AMD) over a 20-year interval...
- McCusker M, Durrani K, Payette M, Suchecki J. An eye on nutrition: The role of vitamins, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants in age-related macular degeneration, dry eye syndrome, and cataract. Clin Dermatol. 2016;34:276-85 pubmed publisher..Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, have been found to improve DES in randomized clinical trials. Conflicting results have been seen with regard to multivitamin supplementation on the prevention of cataract. ..
- Gullapalli V, Sugino I, Van Patten Y, Shah S, Zarbin M. Impaired RPE survival on aged submacular human Bruch's membrane. Exp Eye Res. 2005;80:235-48 pubmed
- Chan C, Lin S. Retinal pigment epithelial tear after ranibizumab therapy for subfoveal fibrovascular pigment epithelial detachment. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2007;17:674-6 pubmed..To describe the unusual complication of retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) tear after intravitreal ranibizumab (Lucentis) for subfoveal fibrovascular pigment epithelial detachment (PED) and its effective management...
- Bakri S, Nickel J, Yoganathan P, Beer P. Photodynamic therapy for choroidal neovascularization associated with submacular hemorrhage in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2006;37:278-83 pubmed..0001; initial acuity, 20/230; 12-month acuity, 20/456). Eyes treated with PDT for choroidal neovascularization associated with submacular hemorrhage and AMD maintained stable vision over 12 months. ..
- Xie M, Li J, Jiang T. Detecting genome-wide epistases based on the clustering of relatively frequent items. Bioinformatics. 2012;28:5-12 pubmed publisher..http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~minzhux/EDCF.zip email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Francis P, Zhang H, Dewan A, Hoh J, Klein M. Joint effects of polymorphisms in the HTRA1, LOC387715/ARMS2, and CFH genes on AMD in a Caucasian population. Mol Vis. 2008;14:1395-400 pubmed..Our studies however show that both the HTRA1 and LOC387715/ARMS2 SNP appear to contribute equally to disease risk (both geographic atrophy and choroidal neovascularization) with no evidence of interaction with CFH. ..
- Francis P. The influence of genetics on response to treatment with ranibizumab (Lucentis) for age-related macular degeneration: the Lucentis Genotype Study (an American Ophthalmological Society thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2011;109:115-56 pubmed..The objective of this study was to evaluate whether genes influence treatment response to ranibizumab for neovascular AMD. The hypothesis was that an individual's genetic variation will determine treatment response...
- Singh R, Patel C, Sears J. Management of subretinal macular haemorrhage by direct administration of tissue plasminogen activator. Br J Ophthalmol. 2006;90:429-31 pubmed..This study represents one of the largest case series to date showing that direct injection of subretinal t-PA with air-fluid exchange only and no intraoperative clot lysis period can have favourable results. ..
- Mares J, Voland R, Sondel S, Millen A, LaRowe T, Moeller S, et al. Healthy lifestyles related to subsequent prevalence of age-related macular degeneration. Arch Ophthalmol. 2011;129:470-80 pubmed publisher..001). Modifying lifestyles might reduce risk for early AMD as much as 3-fold, lowering the risk for advanced AMD in a person's lifetime and the social and economic costs of AMD to society. ..
- Gu J, Pauer G, Yue X, Narendra U, Sturgill G, Bena J, et al. Assessing susceptibility to age-related macular degeneration with proteomic and genomic biomarkers. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2009;8:1338-49 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CEP plasma biomarkers, particularly in combination with genomic markers, offer a potential early warning system for assessing susceptibility to this blinding, multifactorial disease. ..
- Bonilha V, Shadrach K, Rayborn M, Li Y, Pauer G, Hagstrom S, et al. Retinal deimination and PAD2 levels in retinas from donors with age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Exp Eye Res. 2013;111:71-8 pubmed publisher..Our observations show increased levels of protein deimination but not PAD2 in AMD retinas and RPE, suggesting a reduced rate of turnover of deiminated proteins in these AMD retinas. ..
- Klein M, Schultz D, Edwards A, Matise T, Rust K, Berselli C, et al. Age-related macular degeneration. Clinical features in a large family and linkage to chromosome 1q. Arch Ophthalmol. 1998;116:1082-8 pubmed..This knowledge will contribute to the development of preventive and improved treatment strategies. ..
- Yang Z, Li Y, Jiang L, Karan G, Moshfeghi D, O Connor S, et al. A novel RDS/peripherin gene mutation associated with diverse macular phenotypes. Ophthalmic Genet. 2004;25:133-45 pubmed..Genetic and clinical investigation of pattern dystrophy may provide useful diagnostic tools and new treatment strategies for this disorder. ..
- Nakata K, Crabb J, Hollyfield J. Crystallin distribution in Bruch's membrane-choroid complex from AMD and age-matched donor eyes. Exp Eye Res. 2005;80:821-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that the accumulation of these small heat shock proteins at this critical interface below the RPE reflects a disease-related stress response manifested during the progression of AMD...
- Park K, Fridley B, Ryu E, Tosakulwong N, Edwards A. Complement component 3 (C3) haplotypes and risk of advanced age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:3386-93 pubmed publisher..8-fold for 1 risk allele or 2.4-fold for two risk alleles and were preferentially associated with advanced AMD. Further study is needed to determine whether haplotypes in the 3' end of C3 have an independent association with AMD. ..
- Gertner M, Chell E, Pan K, Hansen S, Kaiser P, Moshfeghi D. Stereotactic targeting and dose verification for age-related macular degeneration. Med Phys. 2010;37:600-6 pubmed..This study provides confidence that the IRay, with an average accuracy of 0.6 mm and a precision of 0.4 mm, can reliably treat most AMD lesions centered on the fovea. With the exception of motion, all sources of error are included. ..
- Pennesi M, Neuringer M, Courtney R. Animal models of age related macular degeneration. Mol Aspects Med. 2012;33:487-509 pubmed publisher..Models for induced choroidal neovascularization have served as the backbone for testing new therapies. This article will review the diversity of animal models that exist for AMD as well as their strengths and limitations...
- Meyers K, Mares J, Igo R, Truitt B, Liu Z, Millen A, et al. Genetic evidence for role of carotenoids in age-related macular degeneration in the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study (CAREDS). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:587-99 pubmed publisher..We tested variants in genes related to lutein and zeaxanthin status for association with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in the Carotenoids in Age-Related Eye Disease Study (CAREDS)...
- Persad P, Heid I, Weeks D, Baird P, de Jong E, Haines J, et al. Joint Analysis of Nuclear and Mitochondrial Variants in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Identifies Novel Loci TRPM1 and ABHD2/RLBP1. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4027-4038 pubmed publisher..0020, OR = 2.17, 95% CI = 1.34-3.60). These results show that joint tests of main effects and gene-gene interaction reveal associations at some novel loci that were missed when considering main effects alone. ..
- Kumar S, Nakashizuka H, Jones A, Lambert A, Zhao X, Shen M, et al. Proteolytic Degradation and Inflammation Play Critical Roles in Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy. Am J Pathol. 2017;187:2841-2857 pubmed publisher..This study provides a basis for understanding the differences between PCV and choroidal neovascularization, and helps guide the design of effective therapies for PCV. ..
- Klein R, Klein B, Knudtson M, Meuer S, Swift M, Gangnon R. Fifteen-year cumulative incidence of age-related macular degeneration: the Beaver Dam Eye Study. Ophthalmology. 2007;114:253-62 pubmed..To describe the 15-year cumulative incidence of signs of early and late age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Rudolf M, Clark M, Chimento M, Li C, Medeiros N, Curcio C. Prevalence and morphology of druse types in the macula and periphery of eyes with age-related maculopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:1200-9 pubmed publisher..The present study was conducted to determine regional differences in morphology that contribute to the higher vulnerability of the macula to advanced disease...
- Wang L, Li C, Rudolf M, Belyaeva O, Chung B, Messinger J, et al. Lipoprotein particles of intraocular origin in human Bruch membrane: an unusual lipid profile. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:870-7 pubmed publisher..In the present study, neutral lipid, phospholipids, and retinoid components of human BrM-LLP were assayed...
- Kaiser P. Prospective evaluation of visual acuity assessment: a comparison of snellen versus ETDRS charts in clinical practice (An AOS Thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2009;107:311-24 pubmed..The difference was greatest with poor visual acuity (<20/200) and in patients with exudative AMD. Thus, caution should be exercised when comparing data using the different charts. ..
- Klein M, Ferris F, Francis P, Lindblad A, Chew E, Hamon S, et al. Progression of geographic atrophy and genotype in age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1554-9, 1559.e1 pubmed publisher..Replication in other populations is needed to establish the existence of an association. ..
- Thampi P, Rao H, Mitter S, Cai J, Mao H, Li H, et al. The 5HT1a receptor agonist 8-Oh DPAT induces protection from lipofuscin accumulation and oxidative stress in the retinal pigment epithelium. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34468 pubmed publisher..5-HT(1A) receptor agonists may have potential as therapeutic agents in the treatment of retinal degenerative disease...
- Kohno H, Chen Y, Kevany B, Pearlman E, Miyagi M, Maeda T, et al. Photoreceptor proteins initiate microglial activation via Toll-like receptor 4 in retinal degeneration mediated by all-trans-retinal. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:15326-41 pubmed publisher..This pathway is likely to represent an underlying common pathology in degenerative retinal disorders. ..
- Akuffo K, Beatty S, Peto T, Stack J, Stringham J, Kelly D, et al. The Impact of Supplemental Antioxidants on Visual Function in Nonadvanced Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Head-to-Head Randomized Clinical Trial. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:5347-5360 pubmed publisher..Clinical trial, http://www.isrctn.com/ISRCTN13894787). ..
- Tezel T, Del Priore L, Berger A, Kaplan H. Adult retinal pigment epithelial transplantation in exudative age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;143:584-95 pubmed..Systemic immune suppression appeared to prevent rejection of the transplanted tissue, but did not lead to an improvement in visual function. ..
- Rhone M, Basu A. Phytochemicals and age-related eye diseases. Nutr Rev. 2008;66:465-72 pubmed publisher..Additional phytochemicals of emerging interest, like green tea catechins, anthocyanins, resveratrol, and Ginkgo biloba, shown to ameliorate ocular oxidative stress, deserve more attention in future clinical trials. ..
- Hanneken A, Neikirk T, Johnson J, Kono M. Biochemical Measurements of Free Opsin in Macular Degeneration Eyes: Examining the 11-CIS Retinal Deficiency Hypothesis of Delayed Dark Adaptation (An American Ophthalmological Society Thesis). Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 2017;115:T1 pubmed..Methods have been developed to study dark adaptation in human autopsy eyes. Eyes with age-related macular degeneration do not show a deficiency of 11-cis retinal or an excess of apo-opsin within rod outer segments. ..