Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on lycopersicon esculentum in Japan
Topic: lycopersicon esculentum
- Fujisawa M, Nakano T, Shima Y, Ito Y. A large-scale identification of direct targets of the tomato MADS box transcription factor RIPENING INHIBITOR reveals the regulation of fruit ripening. Plant Cell. 2013;25:371-86 pubmed publisher..Intriguingly, ethylene is involved in the upregulation of RIN expression during ripening. These results suggest that tomato fruit ripening is regulated by the interaction between RIN and ethylene signaling. ..
- Yin Y, Tominaga T, Iijima Y, Aoki K, Shibata D, Ashihara H, et al. Metabolic alterations in organic acids and gamma-aminobutyric acid in developing tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) fruits. Plant Cell Physiol. 2010;51:1300-14 pubmed publisher..Then, it flows back to the TCA cycle and is stored as citrate, which contributes as a substrate for respiration during fruit maturation. ..
- Yokotani N, Nakano R, Imanishi S, Nagata M, Inaba A, Kubo Y. Ripening-associated ethylene biosynthesis in tomato fruit is autocatalytically and developmentally regulated. J Exp Bot. 2009;60:3433-42 pubmed publisher..This increase would be enough for the stimulation of autocatalytic ethylene production, leading to fruit ripening. ..
- Yamashoji S, Onoda E. Detoxification and function of immature tomato. Food Chem. 2016;209:171-6 pubmed publisher..From the above facts the detoxification and the anti-obesity effect of immature green tomatoes are expected to be controlled by the removal of peel, the enzymatic decomposition or the incubation with 4.5% acetate or 25% ethanol. ..
- Ishibashi K, Ishikawa M. The resistance protein Tm-1 inhibits formation of a Tomato mosaic virus replication protein-host membrane protein complex. J Virol. 2013;87:7933-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Tm-1 binds ToMV replication proteins to inhibit key events in replication complex formation on membranes that precede negative-strand RNA synthesis. ..
- Ishihara T, Mitsuhara I, Takahashi H, Nakaho K. Transcriptome analysis of quantitative resistance-specific response upon Ralstonia solanacearum infection in tomato. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46763 pubmed publisher..solanacearum, suggesting that similar reactions occur in other cultivars. These gene expression profiles will serve as fundamental information to elucidate the molecular mechanisms in the resistance response to R. solanacearum in tomato...
- Someya N, Tsuchiya K, Yoshida T, Noguchi M, Akutsu K, Sawada H. Co-inoculation of an antibiotic-producing bacterium and a lytic enzyme-producing bacterium for the biocontrol of tomato wilt caused by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici. Biocontrol Sci. 2007;12:1-6 pubmed..It was possible that bacteria which produce cell wall-degrading enzymes enhanced the biocontrol effect of the antibiotic-producing bacterium against tomato Fusarium wilt. ..
- Nakatsuka A, Murachi S, Okunishi H, Shiomi S, Nakano R, Kubo Y, et al. Differential expression and internal feedback regulation of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase, 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate oxidase, and ethylene receptor genes in tomato fruit during development and ripening. Plant Physiol. 1998;118:1295-305 pubmed..This transition from system 1 to system 2 ethylene production might be related to the accumulated level of NR mRNA. ..
- Oku S, Komatsu A, Tajima T, Nakashimada Y, Kato J. Identification of chemotaxis sensory proteins for amino acids in Pseudomonas fluorescens Pf0-1 and their involvement in chemotaxis to tomato root exudate and root colonization. Microbes Environ. 2012;27:462-9 pubmed..fluorescens Pf0-1, which is non-chemotactic, but motile. This result suggests that chemoattractants other than amino acids are also involved in root colonization by P. fluorescens Pf0-1. ..
- Nakano T, Fujisawa M, Shima Y, Ito Y. Expression profiling of tomato pre-abscission pedicels provides insights into abscission zone properties including competence to respond to abscission signals. BMC Plant Biol. 2013;13:40 pubmed publisher..The region-specific transcriptional regulators and genes for auxin activity identified here may prevent flower abscission in the absence of signal or establish competence to respond to the abscission signal. ..
- Sugimoto K, Matsui K, Iijima Y, Akakabe Y, Muramoto S, Ozawa R, et al. Intake and transformation to a glycoside of (Z)-3-hexenol from infested neighbors reveals a mode of plant odor reception and defense. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:7144-9 pubmed publisher..Specific use of airborne (Z)-3-hexenol to form HexVic in undamaged tomato plants reveals a previously unidentified mechanism of plant defense. ..
- Morikawa T, Mizutani M, Aoki N, Watanabe B, Saga H, Saito S, et al. Cytochrome P450 CYP710A encodes the sterol C-22 desaturase in Arabidopsis and tomato. Plant Cell. 2006;18:1008-22 pubmed publisher..Our results support the possibility that the CYP710 family may encode P450s of sterol C-22 desaturases in different organisms...
- Yokotani N, Tamura S, Nakano R, Inaba A, Kubo Y. Characterization of a novel tomato EIN3-like gene (LeEIL4). J Exp Bot. 2003;54:2775-6 pubmed..LeEIL4 transcripts accumulated in all tissues examined, with higher levels in ripening fruit. ..
- Fujita M, Kusajima M, Okumura Y, Nakajima M, Minamisawa K, Nakashita H. Effects of colonization of a bacterial endophyte, Azospirillum sp. B510, on disease resistance in tomato. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1657-1662 pubmed publisher..These indicate that endophytic colonization with Azospirillum sp. B510 is able to activate the innate immune system also in tomato, which does not seem to be systemic acquired resistance. ..
- Fujisawa M, Ito Y. The regulatory mechanism of fruit ripening revealed by analyses of direct targets of the tomato MADS-box transcription factor RIPENING INHIBITOR. Plant Signal Behav. 2013;8:e24357 pubmed publisher..Here, based on our recently published findings and additional data, we discuss the ripening processes regulated by RIN and the interplay between RIN and ethylene. ..
- Shima Y, Kitagawa M, Fujisawa M, Nakano T, Kato H, Kimbara J, et al. Tomato FRUITFULL homologues act in fruit ripening via forming MADS-box transcription factor complexes with RIN. Plant Mol Biol. 2013;82:427-38 pubmed publisher..In addition to the functional redundancy between FUL1 and FUL2, we also found they have potentially divergent roles in transcriptional regulation, including a difference in genomic target sites...
- Yamamoto T, Nakashima K, Maruta Y, Kiriyama T, Sasaki M, Sugiyama S, et al. Improved RNA extraction method using the BioMasher and BioMasher power-plus. J Vet Med Sci. 2012;74:1561-7 pubmed..The BioMasher and BioMasher Power-Plus provide an effective and easy homogenization method for total RNA extraction from some rodent and plant tissues. ..
- Ezura K, Ji Seong K, Mori K, Suzuki Y, Kuhara S, Ariizumi T, et al. Genome-wide identification of pistil-specific genes expressed during fruit set initiation in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180003 pubmed publisher..This study provides important information about pistil-specific genes, which may play specific roles in regulating pistil development in relation to fruit set. ..
- Posas M, Toyota K. Mechanism of tomato bacterial wilt suppression in soil amended with lysine. Microbes Environ. 2010;25:83-94 pubmed..The lower disease incidence of TBW following lysine treatment is likely related to a specific bacterial community in the rhizoplane that developed on the addition of lysine. ..
- Nakano T, Kimbara J, Fujisawa M, Kitagawa M, Ihashi N, Maeda H, et al. MACROCALYX and JOINTLESS interact in the transcriptional regulation of tomato fruit abscission zone development. Plant Physiol. 2012;158:439-50 pubmed publisher..The tomato homologs were specifically expressed in AZs but not in other pedicel tissues, suggesting that these transcription factors may play key roles in pedicel AZ development. ..
- Shimizu S, Ikegami M. Complete nucleotide sequence and the genome organization of tobacco leaf curl geminivirus from Japan. Microbiol Immunol. 1999;43:989-92 pubmed..The significant but relatively low sequence similarity in the genomic DNA between TLCV and other geminiviruses suggests it is a distinct geminivirus in genus Begomovirus...
- Sun H, Kataoka H, Yano M, Ezura H. Genetically stable expression of functional miraculin, a new type of alternative sweetener, in transgenic tomato plants. Plant Biotechnol J. 2007;5:768-77 pubmed..These results demonstrate that recombinant miraculin was correctly processed in transgenic tomato plants, and that this production system could be a good alternative to production from the native plant...
- Okazaki M, Ezura H. Profiling of melatonin in the model tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) cultivar Micro-Tom. J Pineal Res. 2009;46:338-43 pubmed publisher..In fruits and leaves, melatonin concentrations varied depending on the developmental stage, suggesting that melatonin controls some of the processes involved in plant maturation. ..
- Hirai T, Sato M, Toyooka K, Sun H, Yano M, Ezura H. Miraculin, a taste-modifying protein is secreted into intercellular spaces in plant cells. J Plant Physiol. 2010;167:209-15 pubmed publisher..This study firstly showed the evidences of the intercellular localization of miraculin, and provided a new insight of biological roles of miraculin in plants...
- Fujie M, Takamoto H, Kawasaki T, Fujiwara A, Yamada T. Monitoring growth and movement of Ralstonia solanacearum cells harboring plasmid pRSS12 derived from bacteriophage phiRSS1. J Biosci Bioeng. 2010;109:153-8 pubmed publisher..In resistant cultivars, however, GFP fluorescence was rarely observed on lateral roots. Our results show that this monitoring system can be used to assess bacterial pathogenicity efficiently...
- Kobayashi M, Yamamoto Katou A, Katou S, Hirai K, Meshi T, Ohashi Y, et al. Identification of an amino acid residue required for differential recognition of a viral movement protein by the Tomato mosaic virus resistance gene Tm-2(2). J Plant Physiol. 2011;168:1142-5 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the Tyr residue in LRR contributes to the recognition of B7-MP, and that Tm-2 and Tm-2(2) are involved in HR cell death...
- Sano T, Ishiguro A. Viability and pathogenicity of intersubgroup viroid chimeras suggest possible involvement of the terminal right region in replication. Virology. 1998;240:238-44 pubmed..The effect of sequences in the right terminal loop on pathogenicity appears to be indirect, modulating the efficiency of viroid replication (or accumulation) efficiency rather than symptom expression per se...
- Hirai T, Kim Y, Kato K, Hiwasa Tanase K, Ezura H. Uniform accumulation of recombinant miraculin protein in transgenic tomato fruit using a fruit-ripening-specific E8 promoter. Transgenic Res. 2011;20:1285-92 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the potential of the E8-MIR lines for practical use...
- Fujisawa M, Nakano T, Ito Y. Identification of potential target genes for the tomato fruit-ripening regulator RIN by chromatin immunoprecipitation. BMC Plant Biol. 2011;11:26 pubmed publisher..These findings clarify the crucial role of RIN in the transcriptional regulation of ripening initiation and progression. ..
- Fujiwara A, Fujisawa M, Hamasaki R, Kawasaki T, Fujie M, Yamada T. Biocontrol of Ralstonia solanacearum by treatment with lytic bacteriophages. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:4155-62 pubmed publisher..Using this method, ?RSL1 killed some but not all bacterial cells. The coexistence of bacterial cells and the phage resulted in effective prevention of wilting. ..
- Yin Y, Kobayashi Y, Sanuki A, Kondo S, Fukuda N, Ezura H, et al. Salinity induces carbohydrate accumulation and sugar-regulated starch biosynthetic genes in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L. cv. 'Micro-Tom') fruits in an ABA- and osmotic stress-independent manner. J Exp Bot. 2010;61:563-74 pubmed publisher..These two genes are differentially regulated at the transcriptional level, and AgpL1 is suggested to play a regulatory role in this event. ..
- Addy H, Askora A, Kawasaki T, Fujie M, Yamada T. The filamentous phage ?RSS1 enhances virulence of phytopathogenic Ralstonia solanacearum on tomato. Phytopathology. 2012;102:244-51 pubmed publisher..RSS1 infection also enhanced PilA and type IV pilin production, resulting in increased twitching motility. ..
- Manabe H, Fujiwara Y, Ikeda T, Ono M, Murakami K, Zhou J, et al. Saponins esculeosides B-1 and B-2 in Italian canned tomatoes. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2013;61:764-7 pubmed..To confirm that hypothesis, we refluxed esculeoside A with water for 6.5?h, providing esculeosides B-1 (1) and B-2 (2) in yields of 25.8% and 31.0%, respectively. ..
- Kimbara J, Yoshida M, Ito H, Kitagawa M, Takada W, Hayashi K, et al. Inhibition of CUTIN DEFICIENT 2 Causes Defects in Cuticle Function and Structure and Metabolite Changes in Tomato Fruit. Plant Cell Physiol. 2013;54:1535-48 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that CD2 is essential both for normal cutin and wax deposition and for proper accumulation of specific metabolites in tomato fruit. ..
- Nakamura K, Inoue M, Maeda M, Nakano R, Hosoi K, Fujiyama K, et al. Molecular cloning and gene expression analysis of tomato endo-beta-N-acetylglucosaminidase, an endoglycosidase involved in the production of high-mannose type free N-glycans during tomato fruit ripening. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009;73:461-4 pubmed publisher..Real-time PCR analysis revealed that the gene expression of Endo-LE did not vary significantly with the tomato ripening process, indicating that Endo-LE activity is ubiquitously expressed...
- Akihiro T, Koike S, Tani R, Tominaga T, Watanabe S, Iijima Y, et al. Biochemical mechanism on GABA accumulation during fruit development in tomato. Plant Cell Physiol. 2008;49:1378-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that GAD and GABA-TK play crucial roles in GABA accumulation and catabolism, respectively, in tomato fruits. ..
- Togayachi A, Kozono Y, Ishida H, Abe S, Suzuki N, Tsunoda Y, et al. Polylactosamine on glycoproteins influences basal levels of lymphocyte and macrophage activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15829-34 pubmed..These results indicate that polylactosamine on N-glycans is a putative immune regulatory factor presumably suppressing excessive responses during immune reactions. ..
- Seo S, Gomi K, Kaku H, Abe H, Seto H, Nakatsu S, et al. Identification of natural diterpenes that inhibit bacterial wilt disease in tobacco, tomato and Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2012;53:1432-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that multiple host factors are involved in the inhibition of bacterial wilt disease by sclareol-related compounds...
- Shichijo C, Katada K, Tanaka O, Hashimoto T. Phytochrome A-mediated inhibition of seed germination in tomato. Planta. 2001;213:764-9 pubmed..This is the first indication of phyA being involved in the HIR of seed germination inhibition. ..
- Murakami K, Honda M, Takemura R, Fukaya T, Kubota M, Wahyudiono -, et al. The thermal Z-isomerization-induced change in solubility and physical properties of (all-E)-lycopene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;491:317-322 pubmed publisher..A number of studies have suggested that Z-isomers of lycopene are better absorbed in the human body than the all-E-isomer. This may be due to the change in solubility and physical properties of lycopene by the Z-isomerization. ..