Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on longevity in Spain
- Anadón A, Martínez Larrañaga M, Martinez M, Ares I, Ramos E, Gómez Cortés P, et al. Acute oral safety study of dairy fat rich in trans-10 C18:1 versus vaccenic plus conjugated linoleic acid in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010;48:591-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the T10 milk fat treatment tended to increase triglycerides concentrations, whereas the T11-CLA milk fat treatment tended to reduce it. ..
- Herrera E, Samper E, Martin Caballero J, Flores J, Lee H, Blasco M. Disease states associated with telomerase deficiency appear earlier in mice with short telomeres. EMBO J. 1999;18:2950-60 pubmed..These results indicate that telomere shortening in mTR-/- mice leads to progressive loss of organismal viability. ..
- Ortega Molina A, Efeyan A, Lopez Guadamillas E, Muñoz Martin M, Gomez Lopez G, Canamero M, et al. Pten positively regulates brown adipose function, energy expenditure, and longevity. Cell Metab. 2012;15:382-94 pubmed publisher..These observations uncover a role of Pten in promoting energy expenditure, thus decreasing nutrient storage and its associated damage. ..
- Fiuza Luces C, Ruiz J, Rodríguez Romo G, Santiago C, Gomez Gallego F, Cano Nieto A, et al. Is the ACE I/D polymorphism associated with extreme longevity? A study on a Spanish cohort. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst. 2011;12:202-7 pubmed publisher..Further research is, however, necessary using other approaches. It also remains to be determined if the interaction of ACE genotypes with some other genetic variants exerts a potential effect on longevity. ..
- Borras C, Monleon D, López Grueso R, Gambini J, Orlando L, Pallardo F, et al. RasGrf1 deficiency delays aging in mice. Aging (Albany NY). 2011;3:262-76 pubmed..Our observations link Ras signaling to lifespan and suggest that RasGrf1 is an evolutionary conserved gene which could be targeted for the development of therapies to delay age-related processes. ..
- Muñoz Antoli C, Marin A, Toledo R, Esteban J. Effect of Echinostoma friedi (Trematoda: Echinostomatidae) experimental infection on longevity, growth and fecundity of juvenile Radix peregra (Gastropoda: Lymnaeidae) and Biomphalaria glabrata (Gastropoda: Planorbidae) snails. Parasitol Res. 2007;101:1663-70 pubmed..E. friedi produces a total parasitic castration of R. peregra and B. glabrata INF snails. R. peregra would be considered as the required snail host, while B. glabrata only as an adequate snail host...
- Monje J, Brokate Llanos A, Pérez Jiménez M, Fidalgo M, Munoz M. pkc-1 regulates daf-2 insulin/IGF signalling-dependent control of dauer formation in Caenorhabditis elegans. Aging Cell. 2011;10:1021-31 pubmed publisher..pkc-1 belongs to the novel protein kinase C (nPKC) family, members of which have been implicated in insulin resistance and diabetes in mammals, suggesting a conserved role for pkc-1 in the regulation of the insulin/IGF pathway. ..
- Sanchez D, López Arias B, Torroja L, Canal I, Wang X, Bastiani M, et al. Loss of glial lazarillo, a homolog of apolipoprotein D, reduces lifespan and stress resistance in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:680-6 pubmed..in this issue of Current Biology), who analyze the effects of overexpressing GLaz, we conclude that GLaz has a protective role in stress situations and that its absence reduces lifespan and accelerates neurodegeneration. ..
- Serra Majem L, Roman B, Estruch R. Scientific evidence of interventions using the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2006;64:S27-47 pubmed..Further experimental research is needed to corroborate the benefits of the Mediterranean diet and the underlying mechanisms, and in this sense the methodology of the ongoing PREDIMED study is explained. ..
- Espejel S, Klatt P, Menissier de Murcia J, Martin Caballero J, Flores J, Taccioli G, et al. Impact of telomerase ablation on organismal viability, aging, and tumorigenesis in mice lacking the DNA repair proteins PARP-1, Ku86, or DNA-PKcs. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:627-38 pubmed..These results support the notion that absence of telomerase and short telomeres in combination with DNA repair deficiencies accelerate the aging process without impacting on tumorigenesis. ..
- Asencio C, Rodríguez Aguilera J, Ruiz Ferrer M, Vela J, Navas P. Silencing of ubiquinone biosynthesis genes extends life span in Caenorhabditis elegans. FASEB J. 2003;17:1135-7 pubmed..elegans. ..
- Pamplona R, Portero Otin M, Riba D, Ledo F, Gredilla R, Herrero A, et al. Heart fatty acid unsaturation and lipid peroxidation, and aging rate, are lower in the canary and the parakeet than in the mouse. Aging (Milano). 1999;11:44-9 pubmed
- Scialò F, Sriram A, Fernández Ayala D, Gubina N, Lõhmus M, Nelson G, et al. Mitochondrial ROS Produced via Reverse Electron Transport Extend Animal Lifespan. Cell Metab. 2016;23:725-34 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate that the source of a ROS signal is vital in determining its effects on cellular physiology and establish that manipulation of ubiquinone redox state is a valid strategy to delay aging. ..