Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on light in Taiwan
- Chu H, Feng Y, Wang C, Chiang K, Ke S. Ammonia-induced structural changes of the oxygen-evolving complex in photosystem II as revealed by light-induced FTIR difference spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 2004;43:10877-85 pubmed..1 EPR signal and a suppressed g = 2 multiline EPR signal. Our results suggest that the structural difference of the OEC between the normal g = 2 multiline form and the NH(3)-stabilized g = 4.1 form is small. ..
- Liu M, Wu S, Chen H, Wu S. Widespread translational control contributes to the regulation of Arabidopsis photomorphogenesis. Mol Syst Biol. 2012;8:566 pubmed publisher..The identities and molecular signatures associated with mRNAs regulated at the translational level also offer new directions for mechanistic studies of light-triggered translational enhancement in Arabidopsis. ..
- Tang K, Chang M, Lin T, Pan H, Fang T, Chen K, et al. Fine tuning the energetics of excited-state intramolecular proton transfer (ESIPT): white light generation in a single ESIPT system. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:17738-45 pubmed publisher..26, 0.35). The results provide the proof of concept that the white light generation can be achieved in a single ESIPT system. ..
- Chang C, Cherng C, Liou W, Liao C. Minocycline partially inhibits caspase-3 activation and photoreceptor degeneration after photic injury. Ophthalmic Res. 2005;37:202-13 pubmed..We demonstrate that increased caspase-3 activities localize specifically within the ONL after photic injury, and that minocycline partially inhibits caspase-3 activation and photoreceptor degeneration in this animal model. ..
- Shen C, Tseng W. One-step synthesis of white-light-emitting quantum dots at low temperature. Inorg Chem. 2009;48:8689-94 pubmed publisher..The Zn(0.93)Cd(0.07)Se QDs offer unique advantages, including one-step synthesis, tunable white-light emission, easy manipulation, a low-temperature requirement, and low fabrication costs. ..
- Jen Y, Lakhtakia A, Yu C, Lin C, Lin M, Wang S, et al. Biologically inspired achromatic waveplates for visible light. Nat Commun. 2011;2:363 pubmed publisher..Morphologically analogous to the ocular cells, here we show that the periodically multilayered structures can function as achromatic waveplates over the visible regime. ..
- Hsu C, Lien D, Lu S, Chen C, Kang C, Chueh Y, et al. Supersensitive, ultrafast, and broad-band light-harvesting scheme employing carbon nanotube/TiO2 core-shell nanowire geometry. ACS Nano. 2012;6:6687-92 pubmed publisher..The concept using metallic core oxide-shell geometry with radial Schottky barriers holds potential to pave a new way to realize nanostructured photodetectors for practical use. ..
- Chen J, Chiu H, Hsu C, Liu C, Hsieh P, Miaw S, et al. Low-energy visible light irradiation modulates immune responses induced by epicutaneous sensitization with protein antigen. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:2258-64 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results provide evidence for immunomodulatory effects of LEVL irradiation and will help us develop a useful strategy for prevention of allergen sensitization. ..
- Chien C, Huang C, Tien L, Cheng Y, Ke C, Lee Y. Suppression of HSP27 Restores Retinal Function and Protects Photoreceptors From Apoptosis in a Light-Induced Retinal Degeneration Animal Model. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:3107-3117 pubmed publisher..However, in the following 2 weeks after light exposure, HSP27 suppression may initiate a protective effect for retinal cells, particularly photoreceptors, from light-induced retinal degeneration. ..
- Fu H, Chang Y, Jheng M, Yang C. Ser(262) determines the chloride-dependent colour tuning of a new halorhodopsin from Haloquadratum walsbyi. Biosci Rep. 2012;32:501-9 pubmed publisher..Thus Ser262 is a key residue for the mechanism of chloride-dependent colour tuning in HwHR. ..
- Chen Y, Su Y, Tu S. Distinct phytochrome actions in nonvascular plants revealed by targeted inactivation of phytobilin biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:8310-5 pubmed publisher..Holophytochromes regulate biological processes through light signaling to efficiently reprogram gene expression for vegetative growth in the light...
- Chen G, Chan Y, Liu C, Wang L. Ethylene response pathway is essential for ARABIDOPSIS A-FIFTEEN function in floral induction and leaf senescence. Plant Signal Behav. 2012;7:457-60 pubmed publisher..We reveal that a functional ethylene response is essential for AAF function in leaf senescence and floral induction, but AAF is unlikely a regulatory component integral to the ethylene pathway. ..
- Chang C, Chang S, Li T, Chiang S, Tsai K, Lin J. Resolution of intractable hiccups after near-infrared irradiation of relevant acupoints. Am J Med Sci. 2006;332:93-96 pubmed publisher..Intractable hiccups are occasionally encountered in the presence of stroke but are usually difficult to manage...
- Hsu Y, Lee T. Modulation of gene expression of carotene biosynthesis-related protein by photosynthetic electron transport for the acclimation of intertidal macroalga Ulva fasciata to hypersalinity and excess light. Physiol Plant. 2012;144:225-37 pubmed publisher..fasciata. The expression of UfCBR in U. fasciata against oxidative stress occurring in high light or high salinity in relation to NPQ is discussed. ..
- Yang J, Yang W. Spatiotemporally controlled initiation of Parkin-mediated mitophagy within single cells. Autophagy. 2011;7:1230-8 pubmed publisher..Our method allows for quantitative measurement on the Parkin-mediated mitophagy process, and can be multiplexed in imaging for higher throughput studies. ..
- Chen I, Huang I, Liu M, Wang Z, Chung S, Hsieh H. Glutathione S-transferase interacting with far-red insensitive 219 is involved in phytochrome A-mediated signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;143:1189-202 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that FIP1 may interact with FIN219 to regulate cell elongation and flowering in response to light. ..
- Chua M, Tung Y, Chang S. Antioxidant activities of ethanolic extracts from the twigs of Cinnamomum osmophloeum. Bioresour Technol. 2008;99:1918-25 pubmed..These results demonstrated that ethanolic extracts of C. osmophloeum twigs have excellent antioxidant activities and thus it has great potential as a source for natural health products...
- Lin H, Fu H, Cheng C, Chen Y, Lin Y, Hung Y, et al. Laser action in Tb(OH)3/SiO2 photonic crystals. Opt Express. 2008;16:16697-703 pubmed..Lasing emissions arising from terbium ions occurred near the band edge of the PCs were demonstrated...
- Wu T, Liao M, Kuo W, Huang C, Hsieh H, Jinn T. Characterization of copper/zinc and manganese superoxide dismutase in green bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii): Cloning, expression and regulation. Plant Physiol Biochem. 2011;49:195-200 pubmed publisher..The complexity of the cis-elements in promoter regions implied that the regulation mechanisms of SOD might help accomplish the unique fast-growth phenotype of green bamboo...
- Hou L, Wu C, Huang H, Chu H. Effects of ammonia on the structure of the oxygen-evolving complex in photosystem II as revealed by light-induced FTIR difference spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 2011;50:9248-54 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that NH(3) induced a significant alteration on the core structure of the Mn(4)CaO(5) cluster in PSII. The implication of our findings on the structure of the NH(3)-binding site on the OEC in PSII will be discussed. ..
- Wang J, Chen C, Chien C, Hsieh H. FAR-RED INSENSITIVE219 modulates CONSTITUTIVE PHOTOMORPHOGENIC1 activity via physical interaction to regulate hypocotyl elongation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2011;156:631-46 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a critical mechanism controlling the key repressor COP1 in response to FR light. ..
- Taniuchi Y, Chen Y, Chen H, Tsai M, Ohki K. Isolation and characterization of the unicellular diazotrophic cyanobacterium Group C TW3 from the tropical western Pacific Ocean. Environ Microbiol. 2012;14:641-54 pubmed publisher..Immunocytochemical staining using Trichodesmium sp. NIBB1067 nitrogenase antiserum revealed the existence of diazotrophic cells sharing morphological characteristics of TW3 in the Kuroshio water from which TW3 was isolated...
- Alinsug M, Chen F, Luo M, Tai R, Jiang L, Wu K. Subcellular localization of class II HDAs in Arabidopsis thaliana: nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of HDA15 is driven by light. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30846 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates that nucleocytoplasmic shuttling is indeed a hallmark for all eukaryotic Class II histone deacetylases...
- Ma R, Chen Y. BIPV-powered smart windows utilizing photovoltaic and electrochromic devices. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:359-72 pubmed publisher..0 ?m provides an indoor illuminance range of 750-1,500 Lux under typical summertime conditions in Taiwan...
- Tseng H, Liou H, Tsai K, Ger L, Shiue Y. Clinicopathological study of lip cancer: a retrospective hospital-based study in Taiwan. APMIS. 2017;125:1007-1016 pubmed publisher..96, p = 0.01); whereas for disease-free survival were moderately to poorly differentiated LSCC (CHR = 4.97, p = 0.002) and alcohol consumption (CHR = 3.13, p = 0.04). LSCC and lower lip cancer were highly associated with HRLFs. ..
- Fu H, Lin Y, Chang Y, Tseng H, Huang C, Liu K, et al. A novel six-rhodopsin system in a single archaeon. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:5866-73 pubmed publisher..The results clearly indicate the existence of a proton transporter system with two isochromatic rhodopsins and a new type of sensory rhodopsin-like transducer in H. marismortui...
- Jung W, Liu C, Yu Y, Chang Y, Lien W, Chao H, et al. Lipophagy prevents activity-dependent neurodegeneration due to dihydroceramide accumulation in vivo. EMBO Rep. 2017;18:1150-1165 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates a novel requirement for dhCer desaturase in neuronal maintenance in vivo and shows that lipophagy activation prevents activity-dependent degeneration caused by dhCer accumulation. ..
- Chen C, Kuo H, Tung S, Hsu P, Wang C, Seibel C, et al. Blue light acts as a double-edged sword in regulating sexual development of Hypocrea jecorina (Trichoderma reesei). PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44969 pubmed publisher..We inferred that the HPP1-dependent pheromone signaling system might directly prevent stroma formation or simply disallow the haploid cells to acquire sexual potency due to abundant asexual conidiation upon constant illumination. ..
- Hsieh W, Hsieh H, Wu S. Arabidopsis bZIP16 transcription factor integrates light and hormone signaling pathways to regulate early seedling development. Plant Cell. 2012;24:3997-4011 pubmed publisher..By repressing the expression of these genes, bZIP16 functions to promote seed germination and hypocotyl elongation during the early stages of Arabidopsis seedling development. ..
- Hsieh M, Goodman H. A novel gene family in Arabidopsis encoding putative heptahelical transmembrane proteins homologous to human adiponectin receptors and progestin receptors. J Exp Bot. 2005;56:3137-47 pubmed..These novel seven-transmembrane proteins previously described in yeast and animals, and now identified in plants, may represent a new class of receptors that are highly conserved across kingdoms. ..
- Karthik R, Govindasamy M, Chen S, Cheng Y, Muthukrishnan P, Padmavathy S, et al. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Camellia japonica leaf extract for the electrocatalytic reduction of nitrobenzene and photocatalytic degradation of Eosin-Y. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;170:164-172 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, Ag-NPs have excellent photocatalytic activity with >97% degradation of EY dye after irradiated 60min. These results indicated that the growth of sphere-like Ag-NPs should be a proficient. ..
- Chou C, Lin Y, Huang Y, Sheu S, Lin T, Tsay H, et al. Structural variation in human apolipoprotein E3 and E4: secondary structure, tertiary structure, and size distribution. Biophys J. 2005;88:455-66 pubmed..The structural variation of the N-terminal truncated apoE3 and apoE4 protein provides useful information that helps to explain the greater aggregation of the apoE4 isoform and thus has implication for the involvement of apoE4 in AD...
- Ku Y, Wang W, Shen Y. Reaction behaviors of decomposition of monocrotophos in aqueous solution by UV and UV/O processes. J Hazard Mater. 2000;72:25-37 pubmed..The quasi-global kinetics based on a simplified consecutive-parallel reaction scheme was developed to describe the temporal behavior of monocrotophos decomposition in aqueous solution by the UV/O(3) process. ..
- Aik W, Lin M, Tan D, Tripathy A, Marzluff W, Dominski Z, et al. The N-terminal domains of FLASH and Lsm11 form a 2:1 heterotrimer for histone pre-mRNA 3'-end processing. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186034 pubmed publisher..Using solution light scattering, we characterized the stoichiometry of the FLASH NTD-Lsm11 NTD complex and found that it is a 2:1 heterotrimer, which is supported by observations from analytical ultracentrifugation and crosslinking. ..
- Kao W, Lin B. Phototropic leaf movements and photosynthetic performance in an amphibious fern, Marsilea quadrifolia. J Plant Res. 2010;123:645-53 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that diurnal phototropic leaf movement represents one of the plastic responses enabling this amphibious fern to grow under terrestrial conditions...
- Chiu J, Lan Y, Chang C, Chen X, Yeh C, Lee C, et al. Concentration effect of carbon nanotube based saturable absorber on stabilizing and shortening mode-locked pulse. Opt Express. 2010;18:3592-600 pubmed publisher..An in-depth study on the stable mode-locked pulse formation employing SWCNTs SA, it is possible to fabricate the SWCNT films for use in high performance MLEDFL and utilization of many other low-cost nanodevices. ..
- Jiang H, Liu M, Chen I, Huang C, Chao L, Hsieh H. A glutathione S-transferase regulated by light and hormones participates in the modulation of Arabidopsis seedling development. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:1646-58 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data reveal that AtGSTU17 participates in light signaling and might modulate various aspects of Arabidopsis development by affecting glutathione pools via a coordinated regulation with phyA and phytohormones. ..
- Chang C, Li Y, Chen L, Chen W, Hsieh W, Shin J, et al. LZF1, a HY5-regulated transcriptional factor, functions in Arabidopsis de-etiolation. Plant J. 2008;54:205-19 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that LZF1 is a positive regulator functioning in Arabidopsis de-etiolation. ..
- Wang Y, Wu J, Nakamichi N, Sakakibara H, Nam H, Wu S. LIGHT-REGULATED WD1 and PSEUDO-RESPONSE REGULATOR9 form a positive feedback regulatory loop in the Arabidopsis circadian clock. Plant Cell. 2011;23:486-98 pubmed publisher..Further mechanistic studies of this positive feedback loop and its regulatory effects on the other clock components will further elucidate the complex nature of the Arabidopsis circadian clock. ..