Experts and Doctors on laryngeal diseases in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: laryngeal diseases
- Czerwonka L, Jiang J, Tao C. Vocal nodules and edema may be due to vibration-induced rises in capillary pressure. Laryngoscope. 2008;118:748-52 pubmed publisher..More vibratory amplitude measurements need to be performed in a wider range of subjects before the full range of human vocal fold vascular pressures can be estimated. ..
- Vaezi M, Hicks D, Abelson T, Richter J. Laryngeal signs and symptoms and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD): a critical assessment of cause and effect association. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003;1:333-44 pubmed..In this article we discuss the reasons for this controversy and highlight the recent data attempting to clarify this complex area. ..
- Vaezi M. Sensitivity and specificity of reflux-attributed laryngeal lesions: experimental and clinical evidence. Am J Med. 2003;115 Suppl 3A:97S-104S pubmed..Based on present data, we recommend aggressive acid suppression with twice-daily dosing of proton pump inhibitors for >or=4 months in these patients. ..
- HAMMER M, Barlow S. Laryngeal somatosensory deficits in Parkinson's disease: implications for speech respiratory and phonatory control. Exp Brain Res. 2010;201:401-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, PD may represent a model of airway sensorimotor disintegration, highlighting the important role of the basal ganglia and related neural networks in the integration of laryngeal sensory input for speech-related motor control. ..
- Brown I, Kleinman B. Epiglottic hematoma leading to airway obstruction after general anesthesia. J Clin Anesth. 2002;14:34-5 pubmed..Most important, this case emphasizes that patients receiving multiple anticoagulants--as our patient was--are at risk for airway bleeding, epiglottic hematoma formation, and airway obstruction. ..
- Li S, Weidenbecher M. Adult onset xanthogranuloma presenting as laryngeal mass. Am J Otolaryngol. 2016;37:112-5 pubmed publisher..We discuss a patient who initially presented with a vocal cord lesion and was ultimately diagnosed with adult onset xanthogranuloma. ..
- Maragos N. Pyriform sinus mucosa stabilization for prevention of postoperative airway obstruction in arytenoid adduction. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:171-4 pubmed..2%; p = .0495). Suture stabilization of the pyriform sinus mucosa is effective and is recommended for prevention of posterior glottic airway obstruction after arytenoid adduction when the posterior window technique is used. ..
- Qadeer M, Swoger J, Milstein C, Hicks D, Ponsky J, Richter J, et al. Correlation between symptoms and laryngeal signs in laryngopharyngeal reflux. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:1947-52 pubmed..In patients unresponsive to twice-daily proton-pump inhibitor therapy for 4 months, further aggressive therapy is unlikely to bring additional symptomatic benefit. ..
- Jiang J, Zhang Y, Maccallum J, Sprecher A, Zhou L. Objective acoustic analysis of pathological voices from patients with vocal nodules and polyps. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2009;61:342-9 pubmed publisher..The combination of traditional perturbation and nonlinear dynamic measures may improve our ability to provide objective clinical analysis of voices with vocal mass lesions. ..
- Adhami T, Goldblum J, Richter J, Vaezi M. The role of gastric and duodenal agents in laryngeal injury: an experimental canine model. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004;99:2098-106 pubmed..ii) Duodenal agents do not play a significant role in causing laryngeal injury. (iii) Aggressive acid suppression should eliminate the injurious potential of any gastroduodenal refluxate. ..
- Yamashita M, Bless D, Welham N. Surgical method to create vocal fold injuries in mice. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2009;118:131-8 pubmed
- Hanson S, Thibeault S, Hematti P. Clinical applications of mesenchymal stem cells in laryngotracheal reconstruction. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2010;5:268-72 pubmed..The clinical role of tissue-derived MSCs, though not well understood, holds promise for many therapeutic applications in regenerative medicine and reconstruction. ..
- Welham N, Montequin D, Tateya I, Tateya T, Choi S, Bless D. A rat excised larynx model of vocal fold scar. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2009;52:1008-20 pubmed publisher..To develop and evaluate a rat excised larynx model for the measurement of acoustic, aerodynamic, and vocal fold vibratory changes resulting from vocal fold scar...
- de la Fuente J, Garrett C, Ossoff R, Vinson K, Francis D, Gelbard A. A Case Series of the Probability Density and Cumulative Distribution of Laryngeal Disease in a Tertiary Care Voice Center. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2017;126:748-754 pubmed publisher..Application of the Pareto principle may improve resource allocation in laryngology, but these initial results require confirmation across multiple institutions. ..
- Bless D, Welham N. Characterization of vocal fold scar formation, prophylaxis, and treatment using animal models. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010;18:481-6 pubmed publisher..With increased standardization of measurement techniques it may be possible to make more inter-study comparisons. ..
- Carroll T, Rosen C. Long-term results of calcium hydroxylapatite for vocal fold augmentation. Laryngoscope. 2011;121:313-9 pubmed publisher..6 months. Three complications were seen among 108 CaHA injections. CaHA is a long-term injectable with an excellent track record that does not appear to warrant concern for permanent or late complications. ..
- Benninger C, Parsons J, Mastronarde J. Vocal cord dysfunction and asthma. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2011;17:45-9 pubmed publisher..Laryngeal control taught by speech pathologists is the most common treatment. Effectiveness is supported in case reports and clinical experience, but not in larger randomized trials which are needed. ..
- Forrest L, Husein T, Husein O. Paradoxical vocal cord motion: classification and treatment. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:844-53 pubmed publisher..A classification scheme divides PVCM into primary, or psychological, and secondary. The secondary form consists of medical disorders divided into irritable larynx syndrome and neurologic disorders. ..
- Gallivan G, Gallivan H. Laryngeal amyloidosis causing hoarseness and airway obstruction. J Voice. 2010;24:235-9 pubmed publisher..Conservative surgical intervention and long-term followup are essential. Further studies are needed to determine if a radiation dose response relationship exists to control laryngeal amyloidosis...
- Tutuian R, Castell D. Diagnosis of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;12:174-9 pubmed..Multidisciplinary trials are needed to establish the optimal combination of sign and symptom scores, reflux monitoring results, and empiric treatment trials for the most accurate diagnosis of laryngopharyngeal reflux. ..
- Postma G, McGuirt W, Butler S, Rees C, Crandall H, Tansavatdi K. Laryngopharyngeal abnormalities in hospitalized patients with dysphagia. Laryngoscope. 2007;117:1720-2 pubmed
- Renne R, Gideon K. Types and patterns of response in the larynx following inhalation. Toxicol Pathol. 2006;34:281-5 pubmed
- Silvers W, Levine J, Poole J, Naar E, Weber R. Inlet patch of gastric mucosa in upper esophagus causing chronic cough and vocal cord dysfunction. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006;96:112-5 pubmed..This is the first report, to our knowledge, of an inlet patch resulting in a troublesome, chronic cough. ..
- Larsen C, Militsakh O, Fang F, Tawfik O, Wallace D. Histoplasmosis presenting as upper airway obstruction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005;132:514-6 pubmed
- Skinner M, Halstead L, Rubinstein C, Atz A, Andrews D, Bradley S. Laryngopharyngeal dysfunction after the Norwood procedure. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;130:1293-301 pubmed..Systematic evaluation of swallowing function allows appropriate tailoring of feeding regimens and might contribute to decreased hospital and interstage mortality. ..
- Clark J, Weissler M. Localized laryngotracheobronchial amyloidosis: case report and review of the literature. Ear Nose Throat J. 2001;80:632-6, 638 pubmed..In this article, we describe a new case of localized laryngotracheobronchial amyloidosis in a 67-year-old woman, and we review the literature on this subject...
- Porock D, Nikoletti S, Cameron F. The relationship between factors that impair wound healing and the severity of acute radiation skin and mucosal toxicities in head and neck cancer. Cancer Nurs. 2004;27:71-8 pubmed
- Khan Z, Epstein J, Marur S, Gillespie M, Feldman L, Tsai H, et al. Cetuximab activity in dysplastic lesions of the upper aerodigestive tract. Oral Oncol. 2016;53:60-6 pubmed publisher..These results warrant further investigation in larger studies with increased statistical power. ..
- Hu A, Weissbrod P, Maronian N, Hsia J, Davies J, Sivarajan G, et al. Hunsaker Mon-Jet tube ventilation: a 15-year experience. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:2234-9 pubmed publisher..We previously reported a series of 552 patients over a 10-year period with no major complications. This is a continuation of that series with an additional 5 years of cases...
- Chodara A, Krausert C, Jiang J. Kymographic characterization of vibration in human vocal folds with nodules and polyps. Laryngoscope. 2012;122:58-65 pubmed publisher..Digital kymography (DKG) can provide objective quantitative data about vocal fold vibration, which may help distinguish normal from pathological vocal folds as well as nodules from polyps...
- Zhang Y, Jiang J, Wallace S, Zhou L. Comparison of nonlinear dynamic methods and perturbation methods for voice analysis. J Acoust Soc Am. 2005;118:2551-60 pubmed
- Patel R, Dailey S, Bless D. Comparison of high-speed digital imaging with stroboscopy for laryngeal imaging of glottal disorders. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008;117:413-24 pubmed..The data suggest that HSDI can be viewed as augmentative to stroboscopy, particularly in cases of moderate to severe aperiodicity, in which HSDI may aid clinical decision-making. ..
- Thomas L, Stemple J, Andreatta R, Andrade F. Establishing a new animal model for the study of laryngeal biology and disease: an anatomic study of the mouse larynx. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2009;52:802-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to qualitatively describe mouse laryngeal anatomy in relation to known human anatomy...
- Benninger M. Laser surgery for nodules and other benign laryngeal lesions. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009;17:440-4 pubmed publisher..The safety and efficiency of microdissection techniques and the lack of evidence to support the use of newer lasers for vocal nodules would suggest selective laser use for removing vocal nodules. ..