Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on larva in Germany
Publications163 found, 100 shown here
- Holewa B, Strandmann E, Zapp D, Lorenz P, Ryffel G. Transcriptional hierarchy in Xenopus embryogenesis: HNF4 a maternal factor involved in the developmental activation of the gene encoding the tissue specific transcription factor HNF1 alpha (LFB1). Mech Dev. 1996;54:45-57 pubmed
- K llner T, Held M, Lenk C, Hiltpold I, Turlings T, Gershenzon J, et al. A maize (E)-beta-caryophyllene synthase implicated in indirect defense responses against herbivores is not expressed in most American maize varieties. Plant Cell. 2008;20:482-94 pubmed publisher..We argue that the (E)-beta-caryophyllene defense signal was lost during breeding of the North American lines and that its restoration might help to increase the resistance of these lines against agronomically important pests...
- Münch A, Stingl L, Jung K, Heermann R. Photorhabdus luminescens genes induced upon insect infection. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:229 pubmed publisher..P. luminescens appears to sense and adapt to the novel host environment upon changing hosts, which facilitates the production of factors involved in survival within the host, host-killing, and -exploitation...
- Zhang L, Oh Y, Li H, Baldwin I, Galis I. Alternative oxidase in resistance to biotic stresses: Nicotiana attenuata AOX contributes to resistance to a pathogen and a piercing-sucking insect but not Manduca sexta larvae. Plant Physiol. 2012;160:1453-67 pubmed publisher..attenuata plants against cell piercing-sucking insects and modulate the progression of cell death in pathogen-infected tissues but are not effective against rapidly feeding specialist herbivore M. sexta. ..
- De Marco R, Groneberg A, Yeh C, Castillo Ram rez L, Ryu S. Optogenetic elevation of endogenous glucocorticoid level in larval zebrafish. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:82 pubmed publisher..Our study offers a powerful tool for the analysis of rapid (non-genomic) and delayed (genomic) GC effects on brain function and behavior, feedbacks within the stress axis and developmental programming by GCs...
- Polzer M, Taraschewski H. Identification and characterization of the proteolytic enzymes in the developmental stages of the eel-pathogenic nematode Anguillicola crassus. Parasitol Res. 1993;79:24-7 pubmed..When hemoglobin was used as the substrate, the enzyme displayed optimal activity at pH 5. It was concluded that the proteinases of the larval stages are penetration enzymes, whereas that of the adult stage is a digestive enzyme...
- Schuster R, Phannavong B, Schroder C, Gundelfinger E. Immunohistochemical localization of a ligand-binding and a structural subunit of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the central nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 1993;335:149-62 pubmed
- Riede I. Three mutant genes cooperatively induce brain tumor formation in Drosophila malignant brain tumor. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1996;90:135-41 pubmed..This reveals that this tumor-forming strain is the result of a number of adaptive mutation events. ..
- Hiesinger P, Reiter C, Schau H, Fischbach K. Neuropil pattern formation and regulation of cell adhesion molecules in Drosophila optic lobe development depend on synaptobrevin. J Neurosci. 1999;19:7548-56 pubmed..A possible causal link to fine-tuning processes that may include synaptic plasticity in the development of the Drosophila CNS is discussed. ..
- Muller C, Wittstock U. Uptake and turn-over of glucosinolates sequestered in the sawfly Athalia rosae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:1189-98 pubmed..Furthermore, the metabolism of sinalbin in A. rosae seems to result in different products than its metabolism in the caterpillar Pieris rapae. Obviously, A. rosae has yet another way of coping with the glucosinolates. ..
- Brehm K, Spiliotis M, Zavala Góngora R, Konrad C, Frosch M. The molecular mechanisms of larval cestode development: first steps into an unknown world. Parasitol Int. 2006;55 Suppl:S15-21 pubmed
- Williams J, Boyan G. Building the central complex of the grasshopper Schistocerca gregaria: axons pioneering the w, x, y, z tracts project onto the primary commissural fascicle of the brain. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2008;37:129-40 pubmed..The results suggest that neurons pioneering a columnar neuroarchitecture within the embryonic central complex utilize the existing primary commissural scaffold to navigate the brain midline. ..
- Pfenninger M, Nowak C. Reproductive isolation and ecological niche partition among larvae of the morphologically cryptic sister species Chironomus riparius and C. piger. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2157 pubmed publisher..piger, interbreeding in the laboratory, have been shown to coexist frequently despite of their close relatedness, similar ecology and high morphological similarity...
- Nowak C, Vogt C, Oehlmann J, Pfenninger M, Schwenk K, Streit B, et al. Impact of genetic diversity and inbreeding on the life-history of Chironomus midges over consecutive generations. Chemosphere. 2012;88:988-93 pubmed publisher..Our data provides evidence that genetic diversity strongly contributes to the survival of a population exposed to chemical pollution. ..
- Shen Y, Wollam J, Magner D, Karalay O, Antebi A. A steroid receptor-microRNA switch regulates life span in response to signals from the gonad. Science. 2012;338:1472-6 pubmed publisher..Our studies suggest that metazoan life span is coupled to the gonad through elements of a developmental timer. ..
- Conzelmann M, Williams E, Tunaru S, Randel N, Shahidi R, Asadulina A, et al. Conserved MIP receptor-ligand pair regulates Platynereis larval settlement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:8224-9 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate by morpholino-mediated knockdown that MIP signals via this receptor to trigger settlement. These results reveal a role for a conserved MIP receptor-ligand pair in regulating marine annelid settlement...
- Tamschick S, Rozenblut Kościsty B, Ogielska M, Lehmann A, Lymberakis P, Hoffmann F, et al. Impaired gonadal and somatic development corroborate vulnerability differences to the synthetic estrogen ethinylestradiol among deeply diverged anuran lineages. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:503-14 pubmed publisher..The inter-species variation in developmental EE2-effects corroborates species-specific vulnerability differences towards EDCs between deeply diverged amphibian groups. ..
- Grandi G, Comin A, Ibrahim O, Schaper R, Forshell U, Lind E. Prevalence of helminth and coccidian parasites in Swedish outdoor cats and the first report of Aelurostrongylus abstrusus in Sweden: a coprological investigation. Acta Vet Scand. 2017;59:19 pubmed publisher..Clinical practitioners should be aware of the possible occurence of A. abstrusus in Swedish cats when considering potential causes of respiratory problems in cats in the future. ..
- Eberle K, Zinsmaier K, Buchner S, Gruhn M, Jenni M, Arnold C, et al. Wide distribution of the cysteine string proteins in Drosophila tissues revealed by targeted mutagenesis. Cell Tissue Res. 1998;294:203-17 pubmed
- Hofmann A, Lehmann M. The transcriptional switch between the Drosophila genes Pig-1 and Sgs-4 depends on a SEBP1 binding site within a shared enhancer region. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;259:656-63 pubmed
- Rug M, Ruppel A. Toxic activities of the plant Jatropha curcas against intermediate snail hosts and larvae of schistosomes. Trop Med Int Health. 2000;5:423-30 pubmed..In view of our results and the ongoing exploitation of J. curcas for other purposes, this plant could become an affordable and effective component of an integrated approach to schistosomiasis control. ..
- Bringmann G, Muhlbacher J, Messer K, Dreyer M, Ebel R, Nugroho B, et al. Cyclorocaglamide, the first bridged cyclopentatetrahydrobenzofuran, and a related "open chain" rocaglamide derivative from Aglaia oligophylla. J Nat Prod. 2003;66:80-5 pubmed..g., by simulating them by quantum chemical CD calculations. Compound 3 exhibited an LC(50) of 2.5 ppm when evaluated against neonate larvae of Spodoptera littoralis, while 4 was inactive in this assay up to 100 ppm. ..
- Hartmann T, Theuring C, Beuerle T, Ernst L, Singer M, Bernays E. Acquired and partially de novo synthesized pyrrolizidine alkaloids in two polyphagous arctiids and the alkaloid profiles of their larval food-plants. J Chem Ecol. 2004;30:229-54 pubmed..Plant-acquired and insect PAs were found to accumulate as N-oxides. The results are discussed in relation to specific biochemical, electrophysiological, and behavioral mechanisms involved in PA sequestration by arctiids...
- Richter D, Sermann H, Jäckel B, Büttner C. Pathogenicity of entomopathogenic fungi on hibernating pupae of Cameraria ohridella Deschka & Dimic 1986 (Lepidoptera, Gracillariidae). Part 2: Efficacy of entomopathogenic fungi against pupa in her pupal cell. Commun Agric Appl Biol Sci. 2007;72:411-21 pubmed..Infected pupae moulded in their pupal cells after application. Infection doesn't come from spores. In semi field trials with L. muscarium 60% of pupae were infected in their pupal cells and died after incubation with mouldiness. ..
- Lieske R, Zwick P. Effects of intraspecific competition on the life cycle of the stonefly, Nemurella pictetii (Plecoptera: Nemouridae). BMC Ecol. 2008;8:5 pubmed publisher..Although competition alone probably does not cause splitting of populations into cohorts with different life cycle duration differences in size and development caused by other factors are certainly enhanced by intraspecific competition. ..
- Rätscho N, Scholten A, Koch K. Expression profiles of three novel sensory guanylate cyclases and guanylate cyclase-activating proteins in the zebrafish retina. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1793:1110-4 pubmed publisher..High guanylate cyclase activities in larval eye preparations and the precisely controlled coexpression of guanylate cyclases and zGCAPs coincide with the onset of visual function at 3-4 dpf. ..
- Diezel C, von Dahl C, Gaquerel E, Baldwin I. Different lepidopteran elicitors account for cross-talk in herbivory-induced phytohormone signaling. Plant Physiol. 2009;150:1576-86 pubmed publisher..By suppressing the SA burst, the ET burst likely facilitates unfettered JA-mediated defense activation in response to herbivores that otherwise would elicit SA...
- Bajoghli B, Guo P, Aghaallaei N, Hirano M, Strohmeier C, McCurley N, et al. A thymus candidate in lampreys. Nature. 2011;470:90-4 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that the similarities underlying the dual nature of the adaptive immune systems in the two sister groups of vertebrates extend to primary lymphoid organs. ..
- Schmidt I, Thomas S, Kain P, Risse B, Naffin E, Kl mbt C. Kinesin heavy chain function in Drosophila glial cells controls neuronal activity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7466-76 pubmed publisher..Our work shows that the role of Khc for neuronal excitability must be considered in the light of its necessity for directed transport in glia...
- Schneider T, Reiter C, Eule E, Bader B, Lichte B, Nie Z, et al. Restricted expression of the irreC-rst protein is required for normal axonal projections of columnar visual neurons. Neuron. 1995;15:259-71 pubmed..Epigenesis of the phenotypes can be explained partially on the bases of homophilic irreC-rst interactions. ..
- Zavala Góngora R, Kroner A, Wittek B, Knaus P, Brehm K. Identification and characterisation of two distinct Smad proteins from the fox-tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis. Int J Parasitol. 2003;33:1665-77 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest an involvement of EmSmadA and EmSmadB in echinococcal developmental processes during natural infections and provide a solid basis for further investigations on TGF-beta signalling mechanisms in cestodes. ..
- Paro R. Mechanisms of heritable gene repression during development of Drosophila. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1993;5:999-1005 pubmed..Recent experiments demonstrate that, in particular, the heritable inactivation of regulatory genes relies on stable changes in the higher-order constitution of chromatin. ..
- Zavala Góngora R, Derrer B, Gelmedin V, Knaus P, Brehm K. Molecular characterisation of a second structurally unusual AR-Smad without an MH1 domain and a Smad4 orthologue from Echinococcus multilocularis. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:161-76 pubmed..multilocularis and will facilitate studies on TGF-beta/BMP-regulated genes in the parasite as well as TGF-beta/BMP mediated host-parasite cross-interaction during alveolar echinococcosis...
- Filippi A, Mahler J, Schweitzer J, Driever W. Expression of the paralogous tyrosine hydroxylase encoding genes th1 and th2 reveals the full complement of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons in zebrafish larval and juvenile brain. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:423-38 pubmed publisher..Our data also confirm that there are no mesencephalic DA neurons in zebrafish. ..
- Trienens M, Rohlfs M. Experimental evolution of defense against a competitive mold confers reduced sensitivity to fungal toxins but no increased resistance in Drosophila larvae. BMC Evol Biol. 2011;11:206 pubmed publisher..Future studies should examine whether sensitivity to allelopathic microbial metabolites drives a trade-off between resistance and tolerance in insect external defense. ..
- Horn M, Geisen C, Cermak L, Becker B, Nakamura S, Klein C, et al. DRE-1/FBXO11-dependent degradation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 governs C. elegans developmental timing and maturation. Dev Cell. 2014;28:697-710 pubmed publisher..Taken together, posttranslational regulation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 by DRE-1/FBXO11 coordinates C. elegans developmental timing and other life history traits, suggesting that this two-protein module mediates metazoan maturation processes. ..
- Pesch Y, Riedel D, Patil K, Loch G, Behr M. Chitinases and Imaginal disc growth factors organize the extracellular matrix formation at barrier tissues in insects. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18340 pubmed publisher..Conservation of Chts and Idgfs proposes analogous roles in ECM dynamics across the insect taxa, indicating that Chts/Idgfs are new targets for species specific pest control. ..
- Demeler J, Küttler U, El Abdellati A, Stafford K, Rydzik A, Varady M, et al. Standardization of the larval migration inhibition test for the detection of resistance to ivermectin in gastro intestinal nematodes of ruminants. Vet Parasitol. 2010;174:58-64 pubmed publisher..oncophora and H. contortus were compared and differences in the EC(50) values were highly significant (p<0.0001). Protocols for the LMIT and the preparation of ivermectin solutions are described in a supplementary file. ..
- Cavalli G, Paro R. The Drosophila Fab-7 chromosomal element conveys epigenetic inheritance during mitosis and meiosis. Cell. 1998;93:505-18 pubmed..Thus, Fab-7 is a switchable chromosomal element, which can convey memory of epigenetically determined active and repressed chromatin states...
- Eberle K, Asser Kaiser S, Sayed S, Nguyen H, Jehle J. Overcoming the resistance of codling moth against conventional Cydia pomonella granulovirus (CpGV-M) by a new isolate CpGV-I12. J Invertebr Pathol. 2008;98:293-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, we demonstrate in bioassays with recombinant expressed Cry1Ab that cross-resistance to CpGV and Bacillus thuringiensis products is not likely...
- Schweiger O, Settele J, Kudrna O, Klotz S, Kühn I. Climate change can cause spatial mismatch of trophically interacting species. Ecology. 2008;89:3472-9 pubmed
- Benesh D, Chubb J, Parker G. Complex life cycles: why refrain from growth before reproduction in the adult niche?. Am Nat. 2013;181:39-51 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the idea that a massive larval size can make adult growth superfluous, and we discuss whether this likely applies to other complex life cycle taxa with nonfeeding, nongrowing adults...
- Muller T, Müller M, Behrendt U, Stadler B. Diversity of culturable phyllosphere bacteria on beech and oak: the effects of lepidopterous larvae. Microbiol Res. 2003;158:291-7 pubmed..It is suggested that the changes in the microbial community in response to folivorous insects might affect the extent of nutrient cycling exceeding eventually the scale of a leaf. ..
- Reischauer S, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Lgl2 executes its function as a tumor suppressor by regulating ErbB signaling in the zebrafish epidermis. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000720 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that pen/lgl2 functions as a tumor suppressor gene in vertebrates, establishing zebrafish pen/lgl2 mutants as a valuable cancer model. ..
- Laessing U, Stuermer C. Spatiotemporal pattern of retinal ganglion cell differentiation revealed by the expression of neurolin in embryonic zebrafish. J Neurobiol. 1996;29:65-74 pubmed..The spatiotemporal expression pattern of neurolin suggests a functional significance of this cell adhesion molecule in RGC recognition and RGC axon growth. ..
- Schnorrer F, Schönbauer C, Langer C, Dietzl G, Novatchkova M, Schernhuber K, et al. Systematic genetic analysis of muscle morphogenesis and function in Drosophila. Nature. 2010;464:287-91 pubmed publisher..Many of these genes are phylogenetically conserved, including genes implicated in mammalian sarcomere organization and human muscle diseases. ..
- Bugelli V, Campobasso C, Verhoff M, Amendt J. Effects of different storage and measuring methods on larval length values for the blow flies (Diptera: Calliphoridae) Lucilia sericata and Calliphora vicina. Sci Justice. 2017;57:159-164 pubmed publisher..This study helps to simplify the sampling and evaluation of entomological evidence and to backup or questioning existing guidelines and best practice recommendations. ..
- Gerisch B, Weitzel C, Kober Eisermann C, Rottiers V, Antebi A. A hormonal signaling pathway influencing C. elegans metabolism, reproductive development, and life span. Dev Cell. 2001;1:841-51 pubmed..Sensory neurons, hypodermis, and somatic gonadal cells expressing daf-9 identify potential endocrine tissues. Evidently, lipophilic hormones influence nematode metabolism, diapause, and life span. ..
- Wegener C, Herbert H, Kahnt J, Bender M, Rhea J. Deficiency of prohormone convertase dPC2 (AMONTILLADO) results in impaired production of bioactive neuropeptide hormones in Drosophila. J Neurochem. 2011;118:581-95 pubmed publisher..The lack of AMON activity resulted in a deficiency of L3 larva to enter the wandering phase. In conclusion, our findings provide the first direct evidence that AMON is a key enzyme in the production of neuropeptides in the fruitfly. ..
- Haug J, Haug C. "Intermetamorphic" developmental stages in 150 million-year-old achelatan lobsters--The case of the species tenera Oppel, 1862. Arthropod Struct Dev. 2016;45:108-121 pubmed publisher..These findings support the interpretation that early achelatan lobsters developed in a more gradual ontogenetic sequence than modern forms. It furthermore demonstrates that it was even more gradual than anticipated previously. ..
- Eck G, Fiala B, Linsenmair K, bin Hashim R, Proksch P. Trade-off between chemical and biotic antiherbivore defense in the South East Asian plant genus Macaranga. J Chem Ecol. 2001;27:1979-96 pubmed..Our study supports the hypothesis of a trade-off between chemical and biotic defense in the genus Macaranga. ..
- Fischer A, Dorresteijn A. The polychaete Platynereis dumerilii (Annelida): a laboratory animal with spiralian cleavage, lifelong segment proliferation and a mixed benthic/pelagic life cycle. Bioessays. 2004;26:314-25 pubmed..Platynereis can also become a stepping stone in the comparison of segmentation between annelids and arthropods because it comes closer to the putative ancestral morphology and style of development than other model annelids. ..
- Semmler H, Wanninger A, Høeg J, Scholtz G. Immunocytochemical studies on the naupliar nervous system of Balanus improvisus (Crustacea, Cirripedia, Thecostraca). Arthropod Struct Dev. 2008;37:383-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data reveal that the naupliar brain of cirripedes is more complex than the adult brain. It is concluded that this ontogenetic brain reduction is related to the sessile life style of adult Cirripedia...
- Anton E, Niederegger S, Beutel R. Beetles and flies collected on pig carrion in an experimental setting in Thuringia and their forensic implications. Med Vet Entomol. 2011;25:353-64 pubmed publisher..A main objective of the study is the establishment of a forensic entomological database for Central Europe, especially Thuringia. ..
- Wegerhoff R. GABA and serotonin immunoreactivity during postembryonic brain development in the beetle Tenebrio molitor. Microsc Res Tech. 1999;45:154-64 pubmed..Furthermore, the study of these transitions proved useful in displaying changes during metamorphic pattern formation induced by sublethal application of the pyrethroid insecticide fenvalerate...
- Becker C, Schweitzer J, Feldner J, Becker T, Schachner M. Tenascin-R as a repellent guidance molecule for developing optic axons in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6232-7 pubmed..Branches were almost exclusively caudal, where tenascin-R immunoreactivity normally borders the optic tract, suggesting a role for tenascin-R in guiding optic axons in the ventral diencephalon by a contact-repellent mechanism. ..
- Kurtz J, Hammerschmidt K. Resistance against heterogeneous sequential infections: experimental studies with a tapeworm and its copepod host. J Helminthol. 2006;80:199-206 pubmed..The effect of parasitic heterogeneity on host immunity is therefore complex, potentially involving increased cross-protection on the one hand, with higher costs of raising a more heterogeneous immune response on the other. ..
- G tschenberger H, Gimple O, Tautz J, Beier H. Honey bee drones maintain humoral immune competence throughout all life stages in the absence of vitellogenin production. J Exp Biol. 2012;215:1313-22 pubmed publisher..All observed immune reactions in drones were expressed in the absence of significant amounts of vitellogenin. We conclude that drones - like worker bees - have the potential to activate multiple elements of the innate immune response...
- Berndt O, Meyhöfer R, Poehling H. Propensity towards cannibalism among Hypoaspis aculeifer and H. miles, two soil-dwelling predatory mite species. Exp Appl Acarol. 2003;31:1-14 pubmed..Oviposition rate decreased during the experiment in both species but it was positively correlated with the cannibalism rate only for H. aculeifer. The benefit of cannibalism for populations of H. aculeifer and H. miles is discussed...
- Benesh D, Seppälä O, Valtonen E. Acanthocephalan size and sex affect the modification of intermediate host colouration. Parasitology. 2009;136:847-54 pubmed publisher..This may be an adaptive strategy if, as parasites grow, the potential for additional growth decreases and the likelihood of host mortality increases...
- Weltje L, Rufli H, Heimbach F, Wheeler J, Vervliet Scheebaum M, Hamer M. The chironomid acute toxicity test: development of a new test system. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2010;6:301-7 pubmed publisher..Because their ready availability as a test organism, with culturing conditions and certain test methods already established, Chironomus sp. is regarded as a suitable additional freshwater invertebrate species for regulatory testing...
- Oo T, Storch V, Becker N. Studies on the bionomics of Anopheles dirus (Culicidae: Diptera) in Mudon, Mon State, Myanmar. J Vector Ecol. 2002;27:44-54 pubmed..dirus were identified. Important predators of the mosquito larvae were larvivorous fish, damselfly and dragonfly nymphs. All wells examined were lined with lateritic rocks. Chemical analysis of water samples from wells was conducted. ..
- Förster S, Günthel D, Kiss F, Brehm K. Molecular characterisation of a serum-responsive, DAF-12-like nuclear hormone receptor of the fox-tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis. J Cell Biochem. 2011;112:1630-42 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our results, further investigations into the role of NR signalling in cestode development and host-parasite interaction will be greatly facilitated. ..
- Nagel J, Delandre C, Zhang Y, Forstner F, Moore A, Tavosanis G. Fascin controls neuronal class-specific dendrite arbor morphology. Development. 2012;139:2999-3009 pubmed publisher..We propose that dedicated molecular mechanisms underlie the formation and dynamics of distinct dendrite branch types to elicit the accurate establishment of neuronal circuits. ..
- Vitecek S, Kucinić M, Previsić A, Živić I, Stojanović K, Keresztes L, et al. Integrative taxonomy by molecular species delimitation: multi-locus data corroborate a new species of Balkan Drusinae micro-endemics. BMC Evol Biol. 2017;17:129 pubmed publisher..Finally we argue that enhancing collaborative integrative taxonomy will accelerate assessment of global diversity and completion of reference libraries for applied fields, e.g., conservation and biomonitoring. ..
- Neumann C, Grandel H, Gaffield W, Schulte Merker S, Nusslein Volhard C. Transient establishment of anteroposterior polarity in the zebrafish pectoral fin bud in the absence of sonic hedgehog activity. Development. 1999;126:4817-26 pubmed..Finally, we show that Shh is required for normal development of the apical ectodermal fold, for growth of the fin bud, and for formation of the fin endoskeleton. ..
- Ibsch M, Anken R, Vohringer P, Rahmann H. Vesicular bodies in fish maculae are artifacts not contributing to otolith growth. Hear Res. 2001;153:80-90 pubmed..Thus, the protein matrix of otoliths (and possibly that of statoliths in higher vertebrates) is rather provided by secretion processes than by the release of vesicles...
- Lorbeer R, Heidrich M, Lorbeer C, Ramírez Ojeda D, Bicker G, Meyer H, et al. Highly efficient 3D fluorescence microscopy with a scanning laser optical tomograph. Opt Express. 2011;19:5419-30 pubmed publisher..Compared to conventional fluorescence OPT our first SLOT enhanced the photon collection efficiency a hundredfold...
- Beggel S, Werner I, Connon R, Geist J. Impacts of the phenylpyrazole insecticide fipronil on larval fish: time-series gene transcription responses in fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas) following short-term exposure. Sci Total Environ. 2012;426:160-5 pubmed publisher..These challenges can be overcome by the inclusion of multiple endpoints and delayed effects in experimental designs. ..
- Michels B, Diegelmann S, Tanimoto H, Schwenkert I, Buchner E, Gerber B. A role for Synapsin in associative learning: the Drosophila larva as a study case. Learn Mem. 2005;12:224-31 pubmed..quot; Wild-type CS and syn(97CS) perform indistinguishably also in these tests. Thus, larval Drosophila can be used as a case study for a role of Synapsin in associative learning. ..
- Burse A, Frick S, Schmidt A, Buechler R, Kunert M, Gershenzon J, et al. Implication of HMGR in homeostasis of sequestered and de novo produced precursors of the iridoid biosynthesis in leaf beetle larvae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2008;38:76-88 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrated that HMGR activity is not only diminished in iridoid producers but most likely prevalent within the Chrysomelina subtribe and also within the insecta. ..
- Hartl M, Merker H, Schmidt D, Baldwin I. Optimized virus-induced gene silencing in Solanum nigrum reveals the defensive function of leucine aminopeptidase against herbivores and the shortcomings of empty vector controls. New Phytol. 2008;179:356-65 pubmed..nigrum, which should include control vectors carrying noncoding sequence as control treatments. Silencing LAP provided the first experimental evidence that LAP has a defensive function against herbivores...
- Hornbruch Freitag C, Griemert B, Buttgereit D, Renkawitz Pohl R. Drosophila Swiprosin-1/EFHD2 accumulates at the prefusion complex stage during Drosophila myoblast fusion. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:3266-78 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we hypothesise that Drosophila Swip-1 participates in the breakdown of the prefusion complex during the progression of myoblast fusion. ..
- Milutinović B, Stolpe C, Peuβ R, Armitage S, Kurtz J. The red flour beetle as a model for bacterial oral infections. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e64638 pubmed publisher..Combined with the availability of the full genome sequence of T. castaneum, this system will enable analyses of host responses during infection, as well as addressing basic questions concerning host-parasite coevolution. ..
- Hempel H, Scheffczyk A, Schallnass H, Lumaret J, Alvinerie M, Römbke J. Toxicity of four veterinary parasiticides on larvae of the dung beetle Aphodius constans in the laboratory. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2006;25:3155-63 pubmed
- Robles E, Filosa A, Baier H. Precise lamination of retinal axons generates multiple parallel input pathways in the tectum. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5027-39 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that lamina-specific sorting of retinal inputs provides an anatomical blueprint for the integration of visual features in the tectum. ..
- Pielage J, Kippert A, Zhu M, Klämbt C. The Drosophila transmembrane protein Fear-of-intimacy controls glial cell migration. Dev Biol. 2004;275:245-57 pubmed..Genetic evidence suggests that one of the functions of foi may be associated with hedgehog signaling. ..
- Baeumler N, Haszprunar G, Ruthensteiner B. Development of the excretory system in the polyplacophoran mollusc, Lepidochitona corrugata: the protonephridium. J Morphol. 2011;272:972-86 pubmed publisher..The protonephridial kidneys, previously not reported at such a level of organization in molluscs, strikingly resemble (metanephridial) kidneys of adult molluscan excretory systems. ..
- Popella P, Krauss S, Ebner P, Nega M, Deibert J, GÃ¶tz F. VraH Is the Third Component of the Staphylococcus aureus VraDEH System Involved in Gallidermin and Daptomycin Resistance and Pathogenicity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2391-401 pubmed publisher..aureuspathogenicity. In analogy to the TCS connectors, VraH can be regarded as an ABC connector that modulates the activity of ABC transporters involved in antibiotic resistance. ..
- Boudour Boucheker N, Boulo V, Charmantier Daures M, Anger K, Charmantier G, Lorin Nebel C. Osmoregulation in larvae and juveniles of two recently separated Macrobrachium species: Expression patterns of ion transporter genes. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2016;195:39-45 pubmed publisher..Overall, a high expression of ion pumps in M. pantanalense suggests an evolutionary key role of these transporters in freshwater invasion. ..
- Hauck B, Gehring W, Walldorf U. Functional analysis of an eye specific enhancer of the eyeless gene in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:564-9 pubmed..This transactivator recently has been identified as twin of eyeless, the second Pax-6 gene in Drosophila. ..
- Zinke I, Kirchner C, Chao L, Tetzlaff M, Pankratz M. Suppression of food intake and growth by amino acids in Drosophila: the role of pumpless, a fat body expressed gene with homology to vertebrate glycine cleavage system. Development. 1999;126:5275-84 pubmed..This signaling system may also mediate growth transition from larval to the pupal stage during Drosophila development. ..
- Renault N, King Jones K, Lehmann M. Downregulation of the tissue-specific transcription factor Fork head by Broad-Complex mediates a stage-specific hormone response. Development. 2001;128:3729-37 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that the BR-C is placed at a different position within the 20E-controlled hierarchies than previously assumed, and that at least part of its pleiotropic functions are mediated by tissue-specific regulators. ..
- Spiliotis M, Tappe D, Sesterhenn L, Brehm K. Long-term in vitro cultivation of Echinococcus multilocularis metacestodes under axenic conditions. Parasitol Res. 2004;92:430-2 pubmed..On the basis of this in vitro system, future analyses on the identification of host-derived growth factors for E. multilocularis will be greatly facilitated. ..
- Bresolin G, Morgan J, Ilgen D, Scherer S, Fuchs T. Low temperature-induced insecticidal activity of Yersinia enterocolitica. Mol Microbiol. 2006;59:503-12 pubmed publisher..Overall the results suggest that the tc-PAI(Ye) could play an important role in the transmission and survival of pathogenic Y. enterocolitica strains outside mammalian hosts...
- Ogawa A, Streit A, Antebi A, Sommer R. A conserved endocrine mechanism controls the formation of dauer and infective larvae in nematodes. Curr Biol. 2009;19:67-71 pubmed publisher..Conservation of this small molecule ligand represents a fundamental link between dauer and infective larvae and might provide a general strategy for nematode parasitism. ..