Experts and Doctors on laparoscopy in Japan
- Miyajima N, Fukunaga M, Hasegawa H, Tanaka J, Okuda J, Watanabe M. Results of a multicenter study of 1,057 cases of rectal cancer treated by laparoscopic surgery. Surg Endosc. 2009;23:113-8 pubmed publisher..6% in stage I, 82.1% in stage II, and 79.7% in stage III. Laparoscopic surgery is feasible and safe in selected patients with rectal cancer, with favorable short-term and mid-term outcome. ..
- Ikeda F, Yamamoto K, Fujioka S, Okamoto R, Yabushita K, Miyake M, et al. Laparoscopic findings in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Endoscopy. 2001;33:267-70 pubmed..Laparoscopy may provide useful information for the diagnosis and staging of PSC. ..
- Okamura K, Ono Y, Yamada Y, Kato T, Tsuji Y, Ohshima S, et al. Endoscopic trigonoplasty for primary vesico-ureteric reflux. Br J Urol. 1995;75:390-4 pubmed..By not destroying the normal vesico-ureteric junction, post-operative obstruction cannot occur. We believe that endoscopic trigonoplasty is a feasible procedure for patients with vesico-ureteric reflux. ..
- Yano H, Iwazawa T, Kinuta M, Nakano Y, Tono T, Matsui S, et al. Solitary splenic metastasis from ovarian cancer successfully treated by hand-assisted laparoscopic splenectomy: report of a case. Surg Today. 2002;32:750-2 pubmed..We report herein a case of solitary splenic metastasis from ovarian cancer, which was completely removed by hand-assisted laparoscopic surgery. ..
- Komatsu D, Koide N, Hiraga R, Furuya N, Akamatsu T, Uehara T, et al. Gastric schwannoma exhibiting increased fluorodeoxyglucose uptake. Gastric Cancer. 2009;12:225-8 pubmed publisher..The tumor was diagnosed as a benign gastric schwannoma. Gastric schwannoma should be included in the differential diagnosis of submucosal tumors of the stomach with FDG uptake. ..
- Ichikawa M, Akira S, Mine K, Ohuchi N, Iwasaki N, Kurose K, et al. Evaluation of laparoendoscopic single-site gynecologic surgery with a multitrocar access system. J Nippon Med Sch. 2011;78:235-40 pubmed..LESS with this access system achieves results comparable to those of conventional laparoscopy with 4 ports, although the operative time is longer. ..
- Yamamoto S, Inomata M, Katayama H, Mizusawa J, Etoh T, Konishi F, et al. Short-term surgical outcomes from a randomized controlled trial to evaluate laparoscopic and open D3 dissection for stage II/III colon cancer: Japan Clinical Oncology Group Study JCOG 0404. Ann Surg. 2014;260:23-30 pubmed publisher..001] was lower in the laparoscopic surgery arm. Short-term surgical safety and clinical benefits of laparoscopic D3 dissection were demonstrated. The primary endpoint will be reported after the primary analysis, planned for 2014. ..
- Koga K, Takemura Y, Osuga Y, Yoshino O, Hirota Y, Hirata T, et al. Recurrence of ovarian endometrioma after laparoscopic excision. Hum Reprod. 2006;21:2171-4 pubmed..028-0.317, P = 0.0181). Previous medical treatment of endometriosis or large cyst size was a significant factor that was associated with higher recurrence of the disease. Post-operative pregnancy is a favourable prognostic factor. ..
- Soeda J, Sekka T, Hasegawa S, Ishizu K, Ito E, Saguti T, et al. A case of primary small intestinal cancer diagnosed by laparoscopy. Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 2004;29:159-62 pubmed..Then, extensive jejunal resection involving sufficient lymph node dissection was performed as open surgery. Radical surgery was successfully performed. ..
- Hiki N, Shimizu N, Yamaguchi H, Imamura K, Kami K, Kubota K, et al. Manipulation of the small intestine as a cause of the increased inflammatory response after open compared with laparoscopic surgery. Br J Surg. 2006;93:195-204 pubmed..Manual handling of organs during gastrectomy is an important contributor to the molecular and humoral inflammatory response to surgery, supporting the use of minimally invasive techniques in gastrointestinal surgery. ..
- Nakashima Y, Nakanishi R, Sugiyama M, Ohgaki K, Sonoda H, Saeki H, et al. Laparoscopic Resection of Gastric Cancer in a Patient with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Accompanied by Neutropenia. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1779-83 pubmed..Laparoscopic gastrectomy may be considered a primary approach in patients with neutropenia because it is associated with lower risk of postoperative infection and a lower mortality rate compared to open resection. ..
- Uchiyama H, Itoh S, Higashi T, Korenaga D, Takenaka K. Pure laparoscopic partial hepatectomy using a newly developed vessel sealing device, BiClamp. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2013;23:e116-8 pubmed publisher..All patients were discharged from the hospital without any adverse postoperative consequences. BiClamp is an effective device for transecting liver parenchyma during pure laparoscopic partial hepatectomy, even in cirrhotic livers. ..
- Iwamura M, Tsumura H, Matsuda D, Kurosaka S, Yoshida K, Baba S. Port site recurrence of renal cell carcinoma following retroperitoneoscopic radical nephrectomy with manual extraction without using entrapment sac or wound protector. J Urol. 2004;171:1234-5 pubmed
- Tsuru N, Ushiyama T, Suzuki K. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for primary and secondary malignant adrenal tumors. J Endourol. 2005;19:702-8; discussion 708-9 pubmed..It also is essential not to persist unreasonably with laparoscopic procedures but to switch immediately to open surgery when laparoscopic surgery becomes difficult. ..
- Lee S, Kawai M, Tashiro K, Nomura E, Tokuhara T, Kawashima S, et al. Laparoscopic gastrointestinal anastomoses using knotless barbed absorbable sutures are safe and reproducible: a single-center experience with 242 patients. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2016;46:329-35 pubmed publisher..8 months. The use of the unidirectional barbed absorbable suture for gastrointestinal closure is safe and effective in laparoscopic gastrectomy. ..
- Okegawa T, Odagane A, Ide H, Horie S, Nutahara K, Higashihara E. Oncological outcome of retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy for upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma. Int J Urol. 2006;13:493-7 pubmed..759 and P=0.866, respectively). The oncological outcome of RNU appears to be equivalent to that of ONU. Moreover, long-term follow up is necessary to evaluate the oncological outcome in comparison to ONU. ..
- Itoh K, Suzuki Y, Miuru M, Tsukigi M, Ichiyanagi O, Sasagawa I. Posterior retroperitoneoscopic partial nephrectomy using microwave tissue coagulator for small renal tumors. J Endourol. 2002;16:367-71 pubmed..Posterior retroperitoneoscopic partial nephrectomy using a microwave tissue coagulator can be a safe and less invasive method for the treatment of small posterior renal tumors. ..
- Obuchi T, Sasaki A, Nakajima J, Nitta H, Otsuka K, Wakabayashi G. Laparoscopic surgery for splenic artery aneurysm. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2009;19:338-40 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic surgery should be considered to be a safe therapeutic option for SAA patients with the risk of rupture who are difficult to treat with interventional radiology therapy. ..
- Niitsu H, Hinoi T, Kawaguchi Y, Ohdan H, Hasegawa H, Suzuka I, et al. Laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer is safe and has survival outcomes similar to those of open surgery in elderly patients with a poor performance status: subanalysis of a large multicenter case-control study in Japan. J Gastroenterol. 2016;51:43-54 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic surgery in elderly colorectal cancer patients with a poor performance status is safe and not inferior to open surgery in terms of overall survival. ..
- Watanabe Y, Ozawa H, Uematsu K, Kawasaki K, Nishi H, Kobashi Y. Hydronephrosis due to ureteral endometriosis treated by transperitoneal laparoscopic ureterolysis. Int J Urol. 2004;11:560-2 pubmed..Even though retroperitoneoscopy is frequently used for ureteral lesion, transperitoneal laparoscopy has an advantage for resection of ectopic endometriosis surrounding the ureter. ..
- Shimizu Y, Takashima A, Takahashi K, Kita N, Fujiwara M, Murakami T. Long-term outcome, including pregnancy rate, recurrence rate and ovarian reserve, after laparoscopic laser ablation surgery in infertile women with endometrioma. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2010;36:115-8 pubmed publisher..The overall long-term pregnancy rate (combining spontaneous pregnancy and IVF) after laparoscopic ablation surgery for endometrioma was 75.6%. Surgery did not have any adverse effect on the ovarian reserve during subsequent IVF. ..
- Ueno H, Kobayashi H, Konishi T, Ishida F, Yamaguchi T, Hinoi T, et al. Prevalence of laparoscopic surgical treatment and its clinical outcomes in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis in Japan. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:713-722 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic approach is increasingly being adopted for prophylactic FAP surgery in Japan and may provide clinically acceptable practical outcomes. ..
- Sasaki A, Nitta H, Otuska K, Kimura Y, Obuchi T, Wakabayashi G. Concomitant laparoscopic splenectomy and cholecystectomy. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2010;20:66-8 pubmed publisher..With increasing institutional experience, concomitant laparoscopic splenectomy and cholecystectomy is a safe and feasible procedure and may be considered for coexisting spleen and gallbladder diseases. ..
- Doi O, Kusunoki H, Sato T, Kawakami S, Fukuoka T, Okuda K, et al. Serum progesterone and estradiol-17beta concentrations, and lapaloscopic observations of the ovary in the cheetah (Acinonyxjubatus) with pregnant mare serum gonadotropin and human chorionic gonadotropin treatments. J Vet Med Sci. 2001;63:1361-4 pubmed..It is assumed that ovulation can be induced with hCG after 80 hr on PMSG during a cheetah's diestrus or proestrus. ..
- Ebina Y, Katabuchi H, Mikami M, Nagase S, Yaegashi N, Udagawa Y, et al. Japan Society of Gynecologic Oncology guidelines 2013 for the treatment of uterine body neoplasms. Int J Clin Oncol. 2016;21:419-34 pubmed publisher..Overall, the objective of these guidelines is to clearly delineate the standard of care for uterine body neoplasms in Japan with the goal of ensuring a high standard of care for all Japanese women diagnosed with uterine body neoplasms. ..
- Kohno M, Ikawa H, Okamoto S, Fukumoto H, Masuyama H, Konuma K. Laparoscopic repair of late-presenting Bochdalek hernia in 2 infants. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2007;17:317-21 pubmed..We believe that the fourth point represents an advantage of a laparoscopic approach, which seems superior to the thoracoscopic approach and could represent a useful therapy for Bochdalek hernia in infants and older patients. ..
- Yoshimura F, Inaba K, Kawamura Y, Ishida Y, Taniguchi K, Isogaki J, et al. Clinical outcome and clinicopathological characteristics of recurrence after laparoscopic gastrectomy for advanced gastric cancer. Digestion. 2011;83:184-90 pubmed publisher..Although further observation is required to finally conclude long-term survival, laparoscopic radical gastrectomy may possibly be indicated for patients with advanced gastric cancer. ..
- Kanaya S, Kawamura Y, Kawada H, Iwasaki H, Gomi T, Satoh S, et al. The delta-shaped anastomosis in laparoscopic distal gastrectomy: analysis of the initial 100 consecutive procedures of intracorporeal gastroduodenostomy. Gastric Cancer. 2011;14:365-71 pubmed publisher..In this report, we present the short- and long-term outcomes of our initial experience with this procedure...
- Nishi M, Iwamura M, Kurosaka S, Fujita T, Matsumoto K, Yoshida K. Laparoscopic Anderson-Hynes pyeloplasty without symphysiotomy for hydronephrosis with horseshoe kidney. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2013;6:192-6 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic Anderson-Hynes pyeloplasty with transposition of anterior crossing vessels seems effective, especially if aberrant vessels are strongly suspected to be present from the preoperative imaging examination. ..
- Mori T, Fujiwara Y, Sugita Y, Azama T, Ishii T, Taniguchi K, et al. Application of molecular diagnosis for detection of peritoneal micrometastasis and evaluation of preoperative chemotherapy in advanced gastric carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2004;11:14-20 pubmed..Quantitative evaluation of genetic changes can provide accurate, useful information on the effects of preoperative intra-abdominal chemotherapy and overall prognosis for patients with advanced gastric cancer. ..
- Moro T, Kikuchi S, Konno S, Yaginuma H. An anatomic study of the lumbar plexus with respect to retroperitoneal endoscopic surgery. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003;28:423-8; discussion 427-8 pubmed..The safety zone of the psoas major muscle to prevent nerve injuries, excluding the genitofemoral nerve, is at L4/L5 and above. The safety zone, excluding the genitofemoral nerve, is at L4-L5 and above. ..
- Komuro H, Matoba K, Kaneko M. Laparoscopic gastropexy for chronic gastric volvulus complicated by pathologic aerophagia in a boy. Pediatr Int. 2005;47:701-3 pubmed
- Kawada M, Murakami G, Yajima T, Sato T, Mizobuchi S, Sasaguri S. Potential foramen to allow communication between the pleural cavity and retroperitoneal space during laparoscopic surgery: a cadaver study of Bochdalek's triangle. Surg Radiol Anat. 2007;29:105-13 pubmed..6%). To avoid the distal end of the 12th rib, in laparoscopic retroperitoneal surgery, we recommend making a transverse skin incision at the midpoint between the end of the 12th rib and the iliac crest...
- Koyama S, Kobayashi M, Tanaka Y, Isobe M, Miwa H, Shiki Y. Laparoscopic repair of a post-myomectomy spontaneous uterine perforation accompanied by a bizarre tumor resembling polypoid endometriosis. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013;20:912-6 pubmed publisher..We speculate that the cause of the tumor was retrograde menstruation, as in the pathogenesis of endometriosis. ..
- Yagi S, Isaji S, Iida T, Mizuno S, Tabata M, Yamagiwa K, et al. Laparoscopic splenectomy for a huge splenic cyst without preoperative drainage: report of a case. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2003;13:397-400 pubmed..The postoperative course was uneventful. Laparoscopic splenectomy should be tried first even in patients with a huge cyst, and intraoperative drainage under laparoscopic guidance facilitates laparoscopic splenectomy...
- Kasahara K, Fukuoka A, Murakawa K, Okamura H, Mikasa K, Narita N, et al. Tuberculous peritonitis developing during chemotherapy for pulmonary and intestinal tuberculosis: a case report. Respirology. 2005;10:257-60 pubmed..There are few reports of abdominal tuberculosis developing during antituberculous chemotherapy. In this case a paradoxical response may have been involved in the pathogenesis...
- Ishikawa T, Kawabata G, Okada H, Arakawa S, Kamidono S, Fujisawa M. Retroperitoneal bronchogenic cyst managed with retroperitoneoscopic surgery. J Urol. 2003;169:1078-9 pubmed
- Kobayashi M, Morishita S, Okabayashi T, Miyatake K, Okamoto K, Namikawa T, et al. Preoperative assessment of vascular anatomy of inferior mesenteric artery by volume-rendered 3D-CT for laparoscopic lymph node dissection with left colic artery preservation in lower sigmoid and rectal cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:553-5 pubmed..To determine the distance between the branching point of the left colic artery (LCA) and the inferior mesenteric artery (IMA) by computed tomography (CT) scanning, for preoperative evaluation before laparoscopic colorectal operation...
- Hattori R, Yoshino Y, Gotoh M, Katoh M, Kamihira O, Ono Y. Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of renal pelvis and ureter: Nagoya experience. Urology. 2006;67:701-5 pubmed..To evaluate the efficacy of retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis and ureter, we analyzed the clinical outcomes and long-term cancer control of 89 patients...
- Motoyama S, Maruyama K, Okuyama M, Sasaki K, Sato Y, Ogawa J. Laparoscopic long esophagomyotomy with Dor's fundoplication using a transhiatal approach for an epiphrenic esophageal diverticulum. Surg Today. 2006;36:758-60 pubmed..This approach eliminates the need for thoracotomy and pleural drainage, and permits a complete laparoscopic procedure, including diverticulectomy, myotomy, and antireflex surgery...
- Katsuno G, Fukunaga M, Nagakari K, Yoshikawa S, Ouchi M, Hirasaki Y. Single-incision laparoscopic colectomy for colon cancer: early experience with 31 cases. Dis Colon Rectum. 2011;54:705-10 pubmed publisher..The number of harvested lymph nodes was 18 ± 2.1, and the mean tumor-free resection margin was 11 ± 4.8 cm. Our experience indicates that single-incision laparoscopic colectomy is feasible for selected patients with colon cancer. ..
- Yoshimura D, Ohwaki I, Akashi T, Kitamura Y, Ihara E, Ochiai T, et al. [Intestinal tuberculosis of the terminal ileum causing obstructive ileus and tuberculous peritonitis and presenting numerous peritoneal small red nodules: a case report]. Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi. 2008;105:1213-9 pubmed..Histopathological examination revealed ileal tuberculosis causing ulcerative stricture, and mesenteric tuberculous lymphadenitis. The small red nodules were formed of hemorrhagic tuberculous nodules...
- Nakano H, Kawashima M, Okada S, Igarashi T, Nakata M, Ogino M. Effectiveness of laparoscopic gonadectomy using abdominal wall lift method on Turner's syndrome patients with 45, X/46, XY mosaicism. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2001;11:101-4 pubmed..Laparoscopy using the abdominal wall lift method has an advantage over CO2 pneumoperitoneum method for patients with Turner's syndrome when it is difficult to intubate because of a webbed neck or a shortened trachea. ..
- Kawauchi A, Fujito A, Ukimura O, Yoneda K, Mizutani Y, Miki T. Hand assisted retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy: comparison with the open procedure. J Urol. 2003;169:890-4; discussion 894 pubmed..We report our initial experience with hand assisted retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy for upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma and compared our results to those of a contemporary series of open nephroureterectomy...
- Mukai M, Takamatsu H, Noguchi H, Fukushige T, Tahara H, Kaji T. Does the external appearance of a Meckel's diverticulum assist in choice of the laparoscopic procedure?. Pediatr Surg Int. 2002;18:231-3 pubmed..For long diverticula, simple transverse resection with a stapling device is recommended. However, in short diverticula ileal resection with end-to-end anastomosis or wedge resection after exteriorization is recommended...
- Obuchi T, Sasaki A, Nitta H, Koeda K, Ikeda K, Wakabayashi G. Minimally invasive surgical enucleation for esophageal leiomyoma: report of seven cases. Dis Esophagus. 2010;23:E1-4 pubmed publisher..Thoracoscopic and laparoscopic transhiatal enucleation for esophageal leiomyomas is a safe and feasible procedure. The optimal approaches should be tailored based on the location and size of the tumor. ..