Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on knockout mice in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: knockout mice
Publications443 found, 100 shown here
- Lin B, Sullivan R, Lee Y, Moran S, Glover E, Bradfield C. Deletion of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor-associated protein 9 leads to cardiac malformation and embryonic lethality. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35924-32 pubmed
- Evans Z, Ellett J, Schmidt M, Schnellmann R, Chavin K. Mitochondrial uncoupling protein-2 mediates steatotic liver injury following ischemia/reperfusion. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:8573-9 pubmed..These results reveal that UCP2 expression is a critical factor, which sensitizes steatotic livers to ischemic injury, regulating liver ATP levels after ischemia and reperfusion. ..
- Newkirk K, Duncan F, Brannick E, Chandler H, Parent A, Kusewitt D. The acute cutaneous inflammatory response is attenuated in Slug-knockout mice. Lab Invest. 2008;88:831-41 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate an unexpected but important role for Slug in the acute cutaneous inflammatory response to UVR. ..
- Bonfield T, Thomassen M, Farver C, Abraham S, Koloze M, Zhang X, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma regulates the expression of alveolar macrophage macrophage colony-stimulating factor. J Immunol. 2008;181:235-42 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that M-CSF is an important mediator of alveolar macrophage homeostasis, and that transcriptional control of M-CSF production is regulated by NF-kappaB and PPARgamma. ..
- Rieke F, Lee A, Haeseleer F. Characterization of Ca2+-binding protein 5 knockout mouse retina. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:5126-35 pubmed publisher..The interaction, colocalization, and modulation of Ca(v)1.2 by CaBP5 suggest that CaBP5 can alter retinal sensitivity through the modulation of voltage-gated calcium channels. ..
- Hoot K, Lighthall J, Han G, Lu S, Li A, Ju W, et al. Keratinocyte-specific Smad2 ablation results in increased epithelial-mesenchymal transition during skin cancer formation and progression. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:2722-32 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that enhanced Smad3/Smad4-mediated Snail transcription contributed to Smad2 loss-associated EMT during skin carcinogenesis. ..
- Lim J, Ha U, Sakai A, Woo C, Kweon S, Xu H, et al. Streptococcus pneumoniae synergizes with nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae to induce inflammation via upregulating TLR2. BMC Immunol. 2008;9:40 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae-induced TLR2 up-regulation via negative-crosstalk with NF-kappaB signaling. Our study thus provides novel insights into the regulation of TLR2 expression in mixed bacterial infections. ..
- Pi M, Chen L, Huang M, Zhu W, Ringhofer B, Luo J, et al. GPRC6A null mice exhibit osteopenia, feminization and metabolic syndrome. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3858 pubmed publisher..GPRC6A is a widely expressed orphan G-protein coupled receptor that senses extracellular amino acids, osteocalcin and divalent cations in vitro. The physiological functions of GPRC6A are unknown...
- Shin M, Balsitis S, Brake T, Lambert P. Human papillomavirus E7 oncoprotein overrides the tumor suppressor activity of p21Cip1 in cervical carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2009;69:5656-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that p21(Cip1) functions as a tumor suppressor in cervical carcinogenesis and that p21(Cip1) inactivation by HPV-16 E7 partially contributes to the contribution of E7 to cervical carcinogenesis. ..
- Supinski G, Ji X, Callahan L. The JNK MAP kinase pathway contributes to the development of endotoxin-induced diaphragm caspase activation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;297:R825-34 pubmed publisher..JNK inhibition also prevented caspase 8 activation in cytokine-treated muscle cells (P < 0.001). These data implicate JNK activation as a major factor mediating inflammation-induced skeletal muscle caspase 8 activation and weakness...
- Joo J, Kim Y, Dunn N, Sugrue S. Disruption of mouse corneal epithelial differentiation by conditional inactivation of pnn. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:1927-34 pubmed publisher..Conclusions. These data indicate that Pnn plays an essential role in modulating and/or orchestrating the activities of major developmental factors of anterior eye segments. ..
- Butchbach M, Singh J, Thorsteinsdottir M, Saieva L, Slominski E, Thurmond J, et al. Effects of 2,4-diaminoquinazoline derivatives on SMN expression and phenotype in a mouse model for spinal muscular atrophy. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:454-67 pubmed publisher..In summary, the C5-quinazoline derivative D156844 increases SMN expression in neonatal mouse neural tissues, delays motor neuron loss at PND11 and ameliorates the motor phenotype of SMNDelta7 SMA mice. ..
- Jeffrey B, Morgans C, Puthussery T, Wensel T, Burke N, Brown R, et al. R9AP stabilizes RGS11-G beta5 and accelerates the early light response of ON-bipolar cells. Vis Neurosci. 2010;27:9-17 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that R9AP is required for stable expression of RGS11-Gbeta5 in ON-bipolar cell dendrites. Furthermore, they suggest that the RGS11-Gbeta5-R9AP complex accelerates the initial ON-bipolar cell response to light. ..
- Lin Y, Yao P, Richburg J. FasL gene-deficient mice display a limited disruption in spermatogenesis and inhibition of mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate-induced germ cell apoptosis. Toxicol Sci. 2010;114:335-45 pubmed publisher..The influence of FasL on the cellular regulation of c-FLIP protein levels appears to be a unique mechanism for modulating germ cell apoptosis after toxicant-induced Sertoli cell injury. ..
- Li J, Benashski S, Venna V, McCullough L. Effects of metformin in experimental stroke. Stroke. 2010;41:2645-52 pubmed publisher..These studies show that the timing, duration, and amount of AMPK activation are key factors in determining the ultimate downstream effects of AMPK on the ischemic brain. ..
- Tovar K, Sprouffske K, Westbrook G. Fast NMDA receptor-mediated synaptic currents in neurons from mice lacking the epsilon2 (NR2B) subunit. J Neurophysiol. 2000;83:616-20 pubmed..Thus epsilon1 can substitute for the epsilon2 subunit at synapses and epsilon2 is not required for targeting of NMDA receptors to the postsynaptic membrane...
- Diamond R, Ward S, Owada Makabe K, Wang H, Rothenberg E. Different developmental arrest points in RAG-2 -/- and SCID thymocytes on two genetic backgrounds: developmental choices and cell death mechanisms before TCR gene rearrangement. J Immunol. 1997;158:4052-64 pubmed..Thus, the SCID thymocytes appear to undergo a normal generation but a premature death as compared with the RAG-2 -/- thymocytes. ..
- Steagall W, Elmer H, Brady K, Kelley T. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator-dependent regulation of epithelial inducible nitric oxide synthase expression. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2000;22:45-50 pubmed..FABP-hcftr mice, however, show strong NOS2 staining in epithelial cells of the ileum but reduced staining in the nasal epithelium, suggesting a CFTR-related influence in the regulation of NOS2 expression in epithelial cells. ..
- Thiele T, Willis B, Stadler J, Reynolds J, Bernstein I, McKnight G. High ethanol consumption and low sensitivity to ethanol-induced sedation in protein kinase A-mutant mice. J Neurosci. 2000;20:RC75 pubmed..These data demonstrate a role for the RIIbeta subunit of PKA in regulating voluntary consumption of alcohol and sensitivity to the intoxication effects that are produced by this drug. ..
- Garcia Gasca A, Spyropoulos D. Differential mammary morphogenesis along the anteroposterior axis in Hoxc6 gene targeted mice. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:261-76 pubmed..The position-specific phenotypes observed and the potential role for Hoxc6 in mediating hormone-regulated ductal expansion and regression in the adult female are discussed. ..
- Zuscik M, Chalothorn D, Hellard D, Deighan C, McGee A, Daly C, et al. Hypotension, autonomic failure, and cardiac hypertrophy in transgenic mice overexpressing the alpha 1B-adrenergic receptor. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:13738-43 pubmed..These results also suggest that this receptor subtype is not involved in the classic vasoconstrictory action of alpha(1)ARs that is important in systemic regulation of blood pressure. ..
- Wolfman J, Palmby T, Der C, Wolfman A. Cellular N-Ras promotes cell survival by downregulation of Jun N-terminal protein kinase and p38. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:1589-606 pubmed
- Ramalingam T, Rajan B, Lee J, Rajan T. Kinetics of cellular responses to intraperitoneal Brugia pahangi infections in normal and immunodeficient mice. Infect Immun. 2003;71:4361-7 pubmed
- Morgan C, Thomas R, Ma W, Novotny M, Cone R. Melanocortin-5 receptor deficiency reduces a pheromonal signal for aggression in male mice. Chem Senses. 2004;29:111-5 pubmed..Moreover, farnesene-stimulated aggression is reduced in MC5R-deficient mice, relative to wild-type mice. Our results suggest that activation of the MC5R promotes aggression by increasing farnesene signaling. ..
- Kintner D, Su G, Lenart B, Ballard A, Meyer J, Ng L, et al. Increased tolerance to oxygen and glucose deprivation in astrocytes from Na(+)/H(+) exchanger isoform 1 null mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C12-21 pubmed..These results suggest that NHE1 is the major pH(i) regulatory mechanism in cortical astrocytes and that ablation of NHE1 in astrocytes attenuates ischemia-induced disruption of ionic regulation and swelling. ..
- Bates C, Kegg H, Grady S. Expression of somatostatin receptors 1 and 2 in the adult mouse kidney. Regul Pept. 2004;119:11-20 pubmed..Thus, taken with our previously published results, the kidney expresses all five somatostatin receptors. Furthermore, the expression of the SSTRs in the mouse kidney correlates well with the known actions of somatostatin in the kidney. ..
- Sanford J, Edwards J, Mays T, Gong B, Merriam A, Rafael Fortney J. Claudin-5 localizes to the lateral membranes of cardiomyocytes and is altered in utrophin/dystrophin-deficient cardiomyopathic mice. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2005;38:323-32 pubmed..These data demonstrate that claudin-5 is specifically altered in dko hearts, suggesting that alterations of the lateral membranes of cardiomyocytes, rather than intercalated discs, are associated with cardiomyopathy in the dko mouse. ..
- Ilsley J, Nakanishi M, Flynn C, Belinsky G, De Guise S, Adib J, et al. Cytoplasmic phospholipase A2 deletion enhances colon tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2005;65:2636-43 pubmed..Our findings indicate that the proapoptotic role of cPLA(2) in the colon may supercede its contribution to eicosanoid production in tumor development. ..
- Dufner Beattie J, Huang Z, Geiser J, Xu W, Andrews G. Mouse ZIP1 and ZIP3 genes together are essential for adaptation to dietary zinc deficiency during pregnancy. Genesis. 2006;44:239-51 pubmed..In conclusion, mutations in the ZIP1 and ZIP3 zinc transporter genes are silent when dietary intake of zinc is normal, but can dramatically compromise the success of pregnancy when dietary intake of zinc is limiting. ..
- Gyamfi M, Kocsis M, He L, Dai G, Mendy A, Wan Y. The role of retinoid X receptor alpha in regulating alcohol metabolism. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2006;319:360-8 pubmed..In addition, CYP2E1 as well as mitochondrial and cytosolic glutathione S-transferase activities were significantly lower in RXRalpha KO mice than in wild-type mice. Our results reveal the central role of RXRalpha in ethanol metabolism. ..
- Sarkar A, Hall M, Exline M, Hart J, Knatz N, Gatson N, et al. Caspase-1 regulates Escherichia coli sepsis and splenic B cell apoptosis independently of interleukin-1beta and interleukin-18. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:1003-10 pubmed..Taken together, these findings suggest that caspase-1 is important in the host response to sepsis at least in part via its ability to regulate sepsis-induced splenic cell apoptosis. ..
- Wang H, Kohr M, Wheeler D, Ziolo M. Endothelial nitric oxide synthase decreases beta-adrenergic responsiveness via inhibition of the L-type Ca2+ current. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008;294:H1473-80 pubmed publisher..This mechanism may play an important role in heart failure, where arrhythmias are increased and NOS3 expression is decreased. ..
- Kambe T, Geiser J, Lahner B, Salt D, Andrews G. Slc39a1 to 3 (subfamily II) Zip genes in mice have unique cell-specific functions during adaptation to zinc deficiency. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R1474-81 pubmed publisher..Thus none of these three mammalian Zip genes apparently plays a critical role in zinc homeostasis when zinc is replete, but they play important, noncompensatory roles when this metal is deficient. ..
- Boelsterli U, Hsiao C. The heterozygous Sod2(+/-) mouse: modeling the mitochondrial role in drug toxicity. Drug Discov Today. 2008;13:982-8 pubmed publisher..The model has found application in oxidative stress and age-related research, but it is only recently that it has been successfully used to study mechanisms of idiosyncratic drug-induced liver injury. ..
- CONKLIN D, Haberzettl P, Prough R, Bhatnagar A. Glutathione-S-transferase P protects against endothelial dysfunction induced by exposure to tobacco smoke. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1586-97 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that GSTP protects against the endothelial dysfunction induced by tobacco smoke exposure and that this protection may be related to the detoxification of acrolein or other related cigarette smoke constituents. ..
- Johannessen M, Ramachandran S, Riemer L, Ramos Serrano A, Ruoho A, Jackson M. Voltage-gated sodium channel modulation by sigma-receptors in cardiac myocytes and heterologous systems. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1049-57 pubmed publisher..The modulation of Na(v)1.5 channels by sigma-receptors in the heart suggests an important pathway by which drugs can alter cardiac excitability and rhythmicity. ..
- Srivastava S, Vladykovskaya E, Haberzettl P, Sithu S, D Souza S, States J. Arsenic exacerbates atherosclerotic lesion formation and inflammation in ApoE-/- mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009;241:90-100 pubmed publisher..Plasma concentrations of MCP-1, IL-6 and MDA were also significantly elevated in arsenic-exposed mice. These data suggest that arsenic exposure increases oxidative stress, inflammation and atherosclerotic lesion formation. ..
- Bhowmick S, Singh A, Flavell R, Clark R, O Rourke J, Cone R. The sympathetic nervous system modulates CD4(+)FoxP3(+) regulatory T cells via a TGF-beta-dependent mechanism. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:1275-83 pubmed publisher..Additionally, targeting Tregs via the SNS may be a novel approach to the prevention or treatment of autoimmune diseases...
- Weidanz W, LaFleur G, Brown A, Burns J, Gramaglia I, van der Heyde H. Gammadelta T cells but not NK cells are essential for cell-mediated immunity against Plasmodium chabaudi malaria. Infect Immun. 2010;78:4331-40 pubmed publisher..chabaudi infection by CMI is ?? T cell dependent, is independent of NK cells, and may be attributed to the deficient IFN-? response seen early in ?? T-cell-depleted mice. ..
- Webb N, De Beer M, van der Westhuyzen D, Kindy M, Banka C, Tsukamoto K, et al. Adenoviral vector-mediated overexpression of serum amyloid A in apoA-I-deficient mice. J Lipid Res. 1997;38:1583-90 pubmed..We conclude that SAA is unable to substitute for apoA-I in HDL particle formation. ..
- Elliott Bryant R, Cathcart E. Apolipoprotein E and apolipoprotein A-1 knock-out mice readily develop amyloid A protein amyloidosis. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1997;85:104-8 pubmed..The findings clearly demonstrate that generation of AA fibrils can occur independently of apoE and ApoA-1 expression. ..
- Jelacic T, Kennedy M, Wickman K, Clapham D. Functional and biochemical evidence for G-protein-gated inwardly rectifying K+ (GIRK) channels composed of GIRK2 and GIRK3. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36211-6 pubmed..These data indicate that functional GIRK channels composed of GIRK2 and GIRK3 subunits exist in brain. ..
- Risinger F, Freeman P, Greengard P, Fienberg A. Motivational effects of ethanol in DARPP-32 knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2001;21:340-8 pubmed..2% w/v) was subsequently added to the ethanol mixture, and responding was examined at 0, 5, 10, and 20% ethanol concentrations. Ethanol responding increased in both genotypes, although WT mice showed higher rates at all concentrations. ..
- Andrews G, Lee D, Ravindra R, Lichtlen P, Sirito M, Sawadogo M, et al. The transcription factors MTF-1 and USF1 cooperate to regulate mouse metallothionein-I expression in response to the essential metal zinc in visceral endoderm cells during early development. EMBO J. 2001;20:1114-22 pubmed..Expression of MT-I in visceral endoderm cells was dependent on maternal dietary zinc. Thus, the essential metal, zinc, apparently provides the signaling ligand that activates cell-specific MT-I expression in visceral endoderm cells. ..
- Topham D, Cardin R, Christensen J, Brooks J, Belz G, Doherty P. Perforin and Fas in murine gammaherpesvirus-specific CD8(+) T cell control and morbidity. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:1971-81 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that some degree of cytotoxicity via either perforin or Fas is essential for CD8(+) T cells to control this DNA virus. ..
- Hogema B, Gupta M, Senephansiri H, Burlingame T, Taylor M, Jakobs C, et al. Pharmacologic rescue of lethal seizures in mice deficient in succinate semialdehyde dehydrogenase. Nat Genet. 2001;29:212-6 pubmed..These findings provide insight into pathomechanisms and may have therapeutic relevance for the human SSADH deficiency disease and GHB overdose and toxicity. ..
- Brown E, Baltimore D. Essential and dispensable roles of ATR in cell cycle arrest and genome maintenance. Genes Dev. 2003;17:615-28 pubmed..When DNA replication inhibitors are removed, ATR knockout cells proceed to mitosis but do so with chromosome breaks, indicating that ATR provides a key genome maintenance function in S phase. ..
- Brown N, Murcia N. Delayed cystogenesis and increased ciliogenesis associated with the re-expression of polaris in Tg737 mutant mice. Kidney Int. 2003;63:1220-9 pubmed..Scanning electron microscopy was utilized to observe and measure cilia expression in cysts from orpk, orpk rescue, and KO rescue animals...
- Tien L, Park Y, Fan L, Ma T, Loh H, Ho I. Increased dopamine D2 receptor binding and enhanced apomorphine-induced locomotor activity in mu-opioid receptor knockout mice. Brain Res Bull. 2003;61:109-15 pubmed..The enhanced locomotor activity may be related to the compensatory up-regulation of D2 dopamine receptors in mice lacking mu-opioid receptor genes. ..
- Gu H, Smith F, Taffet S, Delmar M. High incidence of cardiac malformations in connexin40-deficient mice. Circ Res. 2003;93:201-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that Cx40 participates in cardiac morphogenesis, likely in association with other (unknown) products whose expression may vary with the genetic background of the mice. ..
- Liu B, Dai J, Zheng H, Stoilova D, Sun S, Li Z. Cell surface expression of an endoplasmic reticulum resident heat shock protein gp96 triggers MyD88-dependent systemic autoimmune diseases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15824-9 pubmed..Our study not only established the proinflammatory property of cell surface gp96 in vivo, but also suggested a chronic stimulation of DCs by gp96 as a pathway to initiate spontaneous autoimmune diseases. ..
- Bannister L, Waldman B, Waldman A. Modulation of error-prone double-strand break repair in mammalian chromosomes by DNA mismatch repair protein Mlh1. DNA Repair (Amst). 2004;3:465-74 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that Mlh1 modulates error-prone NHEJ by inhibiting the annealing of DNA ends containing noncomplementary base pairs or by promoting the annealing of microhomologies. ..
- Kosiewicz M, Alard P, Liang S, Clark S. Mechanisms of tolerance induced by transforming growth factor-beta-treated antigen-presenting cells: CD8 regulatory T cells inhibit the effector phase of the immune response in primed mice through a mechanism involving Fas ligand. Int Immunol. 2004;16:697-706 pubmed..In conclusion, our data indicate that TGF-beta-treated APC effect tolerance in primed mice via a Fas-FasL-mediated mechanism that requires CD8 cells. ..
- Roy H, Gulizia J, DiBaise J, Karolski W, Ansari S, Madugula M, et al. Polyethylene glycol inhibits intestinal neoplasia and induces epithelial apoptosis in Apc(min) mice. Cancer Lett. 2004;215:35-42 pubmed..The correlation between pro-apoptotic actions and chemopreventive efficacy of PEG in these models strongly implicates induction of apoptosis as one of the impending mechanisms of chemoprevention. ..
- Pacyniak E, Cheng X, Cunningham M, Crofton K, Klaassen C, Guo G. The flame retardants, polybrominated diphenyl ethers, are pregnane X receptor activators. Toxicol Sci. 2007;97:94-102 pubmed..In summary, our study provides the first evidence that PBDEs are activators for xenobiotic nuclear receptor. ..
- Aqeilan R, Trapasso F, Hussain S, Costinean S, Marshall D, Pekarsky Y, et al. Targeted deletion of Wwox reveals a tumor suppressor function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:3949-54 pubmed..Intriguingly, these tumors still express Wwox protein, suggesting haploinsuffiency of WWOX itself is cancer predisposing. These results indicate that WWOX is a bona fide tumor suppressor. ..
- Wang L, Wang R, Herrup K. E2F1 works as a cell cycle suppressor in mature neurons. J Neurosci. 2007;27:12555-64 pubmed..These events are cell autonomous, because cultured E2f1-/- cortical neurons "cycle" in vitro, whereas wild-type neurons do not. Our results suggest that, in mature CNS neurons, E2F1 functions as a cell cycle suppressor. ..
- Caine S, Thomsen M, Gabriel K, Berkowitz J, Gold L, Koob G, et al. Lack of self-administration of cocaine in dopamine D1 receptor knock-out mice. J Neurosci. 2007;27:13140-50 pubmed..We conclude that D1 receptor knock-out mice do not reliably self-administer cocaine and that the D1 receptor is critical for the reinforcing effects of cocaine and other dopamine agonists, but not food or opioids, in mice. ..
- Smittkamp S, Brown J, Stanford J. Time-course and characterization of orolingual motor deficits in B6SJL-Tg(SOD1-G93A)1Gur/J mice. Neuroscience. 2008;151:613-21 pubmed..Tongue force was affected by 115 days of age. To our knowledge, these findings are the first to describe the onset of bulbar versus spinal motor signs and characterize orolingual motor deficits in this preclinical model of ALS. ..
- Ravanpay A, Olson J. E protein dosage influences brain development more than family member identity. J Neurosci Res. 2008;86:1472-81 pubmed publisher..These findings, together with homology in the primary peptide sequence of E proteins, suggest functional compensation among E proteins during development of the nervous system. ..
- Barbi J, Brombacher F, Satoskar A. T cells from Leishmania major-susceptible BALB/c mice have a defect in efficiently up-regulating CXCR3 upon activation. J Immunol. 2008;181:4613-20 pubmed..We propose that defective CXCR3 up-regulation on T cells in BALB/c mice may contribute to L. major susceptibility. ..
- Maiseyeu A, Mihai G, Kampfrath T, Simonetti O, Sen C, Roy S, et al. Gadolinium-containing phosphatidylserine liposomes for molecular imaging of atherosclerosis. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:2157-63 pubmed publisher..Gd-PS-enriched liposomes enhance atherosclerotic plaque and colocalize with macrophages in experimental atherosclerosis. ..
- Lee P, Kumagai Y, Li Y, Takeuchi O, Yoshida H, Weinstein J, et al. TLR7-dependent and FcgammaR-independent production of type I interferon in experimental mouse lupus. J Exp Med. 2008;205:2995-3006 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data demonstrate that TMPD-stimulated IFN-I production requires TLR7/MyD88 signaling and is independent of autoantibody-mediated uptake of ribonucleoproteins by FcgammaRs. ..
- Banerjee I, Fuseler J, Intwala A, Baudino T. IL-6 loss causes ventricular dysfunction, fibrosis, reduced capillary density, and dramatically alters the cell populations of the developing and adult heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1694-704 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data demonstrate that a loss of IL-6 causes cardiac dysfunction by shifting the cardiac cell populations, altering the extracellular matrix, and disrupting critical cell-cell interactions. ..
- Phares T, Ramakrishna C, Parra G, Epstein A, Chen L, Atkinson R, et al. Target-dependent B7-H1 regulation contributes to clearance of central nervous system infection and dampens morbidity. J Immunol. 2009;182:5430-8 pubmed publisher..However, the beneficial role of PD-1:B7-H1 interactions in limiting morbidity highlights the need to evaluate tissue-specific intervention strategies...
- Sampath H, Flowers M, Liu X, Paton C, Sullivan R, Chu K, et al. Skin-specific deletion of stearoyl-CoA desaturase-1 alters skin lipid composition and protects mice from high fat diet-induced obesity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19961-73 pubmed publisher..This results in up-regulation of thermogenic processes for temperature maintenance at the expense of fuel economy, illustrating cross-talk between the skin and peripheral tissues in maintaining energy homeostasis. ..
- Barwe S, Jordan M, Skay A, Inge L, Rajasekaran S, Wolle D, et al. Dysfunction of ouabain-induced cardiac contractility in mice with heart-specific ablation of Na,K-ATPase beta1-subunit. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;47:552-60 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that Na,K-beta(1) plays an essential role in regulating cardiac contractility and that its loss is associated with significant pathophysiology of the heart. ..
- Chung C, Licznerski P, Alavian K, Simeone A, Lin Z, Martin E, et al. The transcription factor orthodenticle homeobox 2 influences axonal projections and vulnerability of midbrain dopaminergic neurons. Brain. 2010;133:2022-31 pubmed publisher..These results show that orthodenticle homeobox 2 is important for establishing subgroup phenotypes of post-mitotic midbrain dopaminergic neurons and may alter neuronal vulnerability. ..
- Bruce A, Boling W, Kindy M, Peschon J, Kraemer P, Carpenter M, et al. Altered neuronal and microglial responses to excitotoxic and ischemic brain injury in mice lacking TNF receptors. Nat Med. 1996;2:788-94 pubmed..Drugs that target TNF signaling pathways may prove beneficial in treating stroke and traumatic brain injury. ..
- Mendez M, Green L, Corvalan J, Jia X, Maynard Currie C, Yang X, et al. Functional transplant of megabase human immunoglobulin loci recapitulates human antibody response in mice. Nat Genet. 1997;15:146-56 pubmed..Our results underscore the importance of the large Ig fragments with multiple V genes for restoration of a normal humoral immune response. These mice are likely to be a valuable tool for the generation of therapeutic antibodies. ..
- Balish E, Wagner R, Vazquez Torres A, Pierson C, Warner T. Candidiasis in interferon-gamma knockout (IFN-gamma-/-) mice. J Infect Dis. 1998;178:478-87 pubmed..albicans antigens and a T helper 2 (IgG1) serum antibody response to C. albicans antigens. Thus, IFN-gamma is important for murine resistance to gastric, anorectal, and acute systemic candidiasis. ..
- Szot P, Weinshenker D, White S, Robbins C, Rust N, Schwartzkroin P, et al. Norepinephrine-deficient mice have increased susceptibility to seizure-inducing stimuli. J Neurosci. 1999;19:10985-92 pubmed
- Hosokawa Y, Papanikolaou A, Cardiff R, Yoshimoto K, Bernstein M, Wang T, et al. In vivo analysis of mammary and non-mammary tumorigenesis in MMTV-cyclin D1 transgenic mice deficient in p53. Transgenic Res. 2001;10:471-8 pubmed..Interestingly, the results do raise the possibility that p53 inactivation might complement or cooperate with cyclin D1 deregulation during the development of some types of non-mammary tumors. ..
- Yang L, Lindholm K, Konishi Y, Li R, Shen Y. Target depletion of distinct tumor necrosis factor receptor subtypes reveals hippocampal neuron death and survival through different signal transduction pathways. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3025-32 pubmed..Subsequent neuronal death or survival may ultimately depend on a particular subtype of TNF receptor that is predominately expressed in neurons of the brain during neural development or with neurological diseases. ..
- Donovan S, Mamounas L, Andrews A, Blue M, McCasland J. GAP-43 is critical for normal development of the serotonergic innervation in forebrain. J Neurosci. 2002;22:3543-52 pubmed..These results suggest that GAP-43 is a key regulator in normal pathfinding and arborization of 5-HT axons during early brain development. ..
- Tharappel J, Nalca A, Owens A, Ghabrial L, Konz E, Glauert H, et al. Cell proliferation and apoptosis are altered in mice deficient in the NF-kappaB p50 subunit after treatment with the peroxisome proliferator ciprofibrate. Toxicol Sci. 2003;75:300-8 pubmed..These data indicate that NF-kappaB contributes to the proliferative and apoptotic changes that occur in the liver in response to ciprofibrate. ..
- Khanna S, Roy S, Slivka A, Craft T, Chaki S, Rink C, et al. Neuroprotective properties of the natural vitamin E alpha-tocotrienol. Stroke. 2005;36:2258-64 pubmed..Such protection was associated with lower c-Src activation and 12-Lox phosphorylation at the stroke site. The natural vitamin E, TCT, acts on key molecular checkpoints to protect against glutamate- and stroke-induced neurodegeneration. ..
- Schneider M, Fiering S, Thai B, Wu S, St Germain E, Parlow A, et al. Targeted disruption of the type 1 selenodeiodinase gene (Dio1) results in marked changes in thyroid hormone economy in mice. Endocrinology. 2006;147:580-9 pubmed
- Xiao J, Dai R, Negyessy L, Bergson C. Calcyon, a novel partner of clathrin light chain, stimulates clathrin-mediated endocytosis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:15182-93 pubmed..Collectively, these data indicate a role for calcyon in clathrin-mediated endocytosis in brain. ..
- Ransohoff R. A mighty mouse: building a better model of multiple sclerosis. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2313-6 pubmed..The studies describe an important new model for MS research. ..
- Potla R, Koeck T, Wegrzyn J, Cherukuri S, Shimoda K, Baker D, et al. Tyk2 tyrosine kinase expression is required for the maintenance of mitochondrial respiration in primary pro-B lymphocytes. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8562-71 pubmed..Finally, Tyk2(-/-) mice show decreased exercise tolerance compared to wild-type littermates. Our results implicate a novel role for Tyk2 kinase and Stat3 phosphorylation in mitochondrial respiration. ..
- Galton V, Wood E, St Germain E, Withrow C, Aldrich G, St Germain G, et al. Thyroid hormone homeostasis and action in the type 2 deiodinase-deficient rodent brain during development. Endocrinology. 2007;148:3080-8 pubmed..This view is inadequate to explain the findings presented herein, and it is suggested that important compensatory mechanisms must be in play in the brain to minimize functional abnormalities in the absence of the D2. ..
- Yamashita T, Yao Z, Li F, Zhang Q, Badell I, Schwarz E, et al. NF-kappaB p50 and p52 regulate receptor activator of NF-kappaB ligand (RANKL) and tumor necrosis factor-induced osteoclast precursor differentiation by activating c-Fos and NFATc1. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:18245-53 pubmed..Inhibition of NF-kappaB should prevent RANKL- and TNF-induced bone resorption. ..
- Muangman P, Tamura R, Muffley L, Isik F, Scott J, Xie C, et al. Substance P enhances wound closure in nitric oxide synthase knockout mice. J Surg Res. 2009;153:201-9 pubmed publisher..SP increased inflammatory cell density in the wounds supporting the essential role of inflammatory cells, especially macrophages, in wound repair. ..
- Swoap S, Weinshenker D. Norepinephrine controls both torpor initiation and emergence via distinct mechanisms in the mouse. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e4038 pubmed publisher..Hence, NE signaling via beta(3) adrenergic receptors presumably in brown fat is the first neurotransmitter-receptor system identified that is required for normal recovery from torpor. ..
- Shyr C, Kang H, Tsai M, Liu N, Ku P, Huang K, et al. Roles of testicular orphan nuclear receptors 2 and 4 in early embryonic development and embryonic stem cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:2454-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings highlight possible roles for TR2 and TR4 in early embryonic development by regulating key genes involved in stem cell self-renewal, commitment, and differentiation. ..
- Krebs M, White D, Kaushal S. Biphasic photoreceptor degeneration induced by light in a T17M rhodopsin mouse model of cone bystander damage. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:2956-65 pubmed publisher..The rapid and synchronous induction of damage in this model is attractive for characterizing bystander effects in retinal degeneration. ..