Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on keratinocytes in Germany
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- Wenzel J, Wörenkämper E, Freutel S, Henze S, Haller O, Bieber T, et al. Enhanced type I interferon signalling promotes Th1-biased inflammation in cutaneous lupus erythematosus. J Pathol. 2005;205:435-42 pubmed..It is proposed that type I IFNs induce a Th1-biased inflammatory immune response, with recruitment of CXCR3-expressing T-lymphocytes into the skin. ..
- Esua M, Rauwald J. Novel bioactive maloyl glucans from aloe vera gel: isolation, structure elucidation and in vitro bioassays. Carbohydr Res. 2006;341:355-64 pubmed..This is the first time that two fully chemically characterized compounds are shown to be responsible for known biological activities of aloe vera gel. ..
- Tscharntke M, Pofahl R, Chrostek Grashoff A, Smyth N, Niessen C, Niemann C, et al. Impaired epidermal wound healing in vivo upon inhibition or deletion of Rac1. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1480-90 pubmed..We conclude that Rac1 is functionally required for normal epidermal wound healing and, in this context, exerts a dual function - namely the regulation of keratinocyte proliferation and migration. ..
- Bodo E, Kromminga A, Funk W, Laugsch M, Duske U, Jelkmann W, et al. Human hair follicles are an extrarenal source and a nonhematopoietic target of erythropoietin. FASEB J. 2007;21:3346-54 pubmed..They may recruit EPO/EPO-R signaling e.g., for modulating HF apoptosis under conditions of hypoxia and chemotherapy-induced stress. ..
- Chamulitrat W. Role of gp91phox homolog nox1 in induction of premalignant spindle phenotypes of HPV 16 E6/E7-immortalized human keratinocytes. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010;10:1435-49 pubmed publisher..Understanding these mechanisms may provide insight into Nox1 and redox signaling components as potential therapeutic targets to inhibit tumor progression. ..
- Augustin M, Herberger K, Rustenbach S, Schäfer I, Zschocke I, Blome C. Quality of life evaluation in wounds: validation of the Freiburg Life Quality Assessment-wound module, a disease-specific instrument. Int Wound J. 2010;7:493-501 pubmed publisher..Change scores correlated with change in other quality-of-life instruments (r = 0·59-0·61), but not with change in wound status. ..
- Wickström S, Lange A, Hess M, Polleux J, Spatz J, Kruger M, et al. Integrin-linked kinase controls microtubule dynamics required for plasma membrane targeting of caveolae. Dev Cell. 2010;19:574-88 pubmed publisher..Our results assign an important role to the integrin/ILK complex for caveolar trafficking to the cell surface. ..
- Gescher K, Kuhn J, Lorentzen E, Hafezi W, Derksen A, Deters A, et al. Proanthocyanidin-enriched extract from Myrothamnus flabellifolia Welw. exerts antiviral activity against herpes simplex virus type 1 by inhibition of viral adsorption and penetration. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;134:468-74 pubmed publisher..A polyphenol-enriched extract from Myrothamnus flabellifolia strongly acts against HSV-1 by blocking viral entry into the cells. ..
- Dössel J, Meyer Hoffert U, Schroder J, Gerstel U. Pseudomonas aeruginosa-derived rhamnolipids subvert the host innate immune response through manipulation of the human beta-defensin-2 expression. Cell Microbiol. 2012;14:1364-75 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa infections, rhamnolipids can be engaged by P. aeruginosa for a targeted attenuation of the innate immunity to manage its survival and colonization on compromised epithelia. ..
- Makarova G, Bette M, Schmidt A, Jacob R, Cai C, Rodepeter F, et al. Epidermal growth factor-induced modulation of cytokeratin expression levels influences the morphological phenotype of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells. Cell Tissue Res. 2013;351:59-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, the data points to a possible role of EGFR in modulating HNSCC cell morphology. ..
- Muller K, Sellmer A, Wiegrebe W. Potential antipsoriatic agents: lapacho compounds as potent inhibitors of HaCaT cell growth. J Nat Prod. 1999;62:1134-6 pubmed..Because of their potent activity against the growth of human keratinocytes, some lapacho-derived compounds appear to be promising as effective antipsoriatic agents. ..
- Müschen A, Mirmohammadsadegh A, Jarzebska Deussen B, Abts H, Ruzicka T, Michel G. Differential IL-10 receptor gene expression in acute versus chronic atopic eczema. Modulation by immunosuppressive drugs and cytokines in normal cultured keratinocytes. Inflamm Res. 1999;48:539-43 pubmed..Our results demonstrate for the first time that IL-10 receptors may have a role in the pathogenesis of atopic eczema and its upregulation by FK506 and UVA could explain the therapeutic efficacy of these agents. ..
- Kippenberger S, Loitsch S, Müller J, Guschel M, Kaufmann R, Bernd A. Ligation of the beta4 integrin triggers adhesion behavior of human keratinocytes by an "inside-out" mechanism. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;123:444-51 pubmed..Hence, these findings provide further insight into the conversion processes during carcinogenesis and show the beta(4) integrin to be a key regulator of cellular adhesion. ..
- Smola Hess S, Pahne J, Mauch C, Zigrino P, Smola H, Pfister H. Expression of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase in papillomavirus-positive cells: role of the human papillomavirus (HPV) 16 and HPV8 E7 gene products. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:1291-6 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, MMP-2 was activated. MT-1 MMP expression might play a role in the HPV life cycle by promoting proliferation of host cells and might contribute to their invasive phenotype during malignant progression...
- Hippe A, Bylaite M, Chen M, von Mikecz A, Wolf R, Ruzicka T, et al. Expression and tissue distribution of mouse Hax1. Gene. 2006;379:116-26 pubmed..Further studies will elucidate the functional importance of this protein in individual cell types with respect to structural aspects, cell mobility and apoptosis. ..
- Laszczyk M, Jäger S, Simon Haarhaus B, Scheffler A, Schempp C. Physical, chemical and pharmacological characterization of a new oleogel-forming triterpene extract from the outer bark of birch (betulae cortex). Planta Med. 2006;72:1389-95 pubmed..These experimental data support the notion from a previous clinical study that TE from the outer bark of birch might represent a new tool for the topical treatment of skin cancer and skin cancer precursors like actinic keratoses. ..
- Roesch Ely M, Steinberg T, Bosch F, Mussig E, Whitaker N, Wiest T, et al. Organotypic co-cultures allow for immortalized human gingival keratinocytes to reconstitute a gingival epithelial phenotype in vitro. Differentiation. 2006;74:622-37 pubmed..We are not aware of any other OCC system comprising of IHGK, which allows for site-specific expression of gingival epithelial markers. This substantiates reconstitution of a gingival epithelial phenotype in vitro. ..
- Pegoraro S, Lang M, Dreker T, Kraus J, Hamm S, Meere C, et al. Inhibitors of potassium channels KV1.3 and IK-1 as immunosuppressants. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19:2299-304 pubmed publisher..These compounds display inhibitory effects on T-cell and/or keratinocyte proliferation and immunosuppressant activity within a DTH animal model. ..
- Heinrich A, Balszuweit F, Thiermann H, Kehe K. Rapid simultaneous determination of apoptosis, necrosis, and viability in sulfur mustard exposed HaCaT cell cultures. Toxicol Lett. 2009;191:260-7 pubmed publisher..This assay is highly effective in quantifying apoptosis and necrosis caused by cytotoxic agents and in estimating protective effects of potential active pharmaceutical ingredients. ..
- Wickström S, Masoumi K, Khochbin S, Fassler R, Massoumi R. CYLD negatively regulates cell-cycle progression by inactivating HDAC6 and increasing the levels of acetylated tubulin. EMBO J. 2010;29:131-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether these results identify a mechanism by which CYLD regulates cell proliferation at distinct cell-cycle phases. ..
- Agyare C, Lechtenberg M, Deters A, Petereit F, Hensel A. Ellagitannins from Phyllanthus muellerianus (Kuntze) Exell.: Geraniin and furosin stimulate cellular activity, differentiation and collagen synthesis of human skin keratinocytes and dermal fibroblasts. Phytomedicine. 2011;18:617-24 pubmed publisher..From these findings the traditional clinical use of such extracts for wound healing seems to be justified. ..
- Gáspár K, Kukova G, Bünemann E, Buhren B, Sonkoly E, Szollosi A, et al. The chemokine receptor CCR3 participates in tissue remodeling during atopic skin inflammation. J Dermatol Sci. 2013;71:12-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, findings of the present study suggest that chemokine-driven communication pathways from the epidermis to the dermis may modulate tissue remodeling in atopic skin inflammation. ..
- Bald T, Quast T, Landsberg J, Rogava M, Glodde N, Lopez Ramos D, et al. Ultraviolet-radiation-induced inflammation promotes angiotropism and metastasis in melanoma. Nature. 2014;507:109-13 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that targeting the inflammation-induced phenotypic plasticity of melanoma cells and their association with endothelial cells represent rational strategies to specifically interfere with metastatic progression. ..
- Aragane Y, Riemann H, Bhardwaj R, Schwarz A, Sawada Y, Yamada H, et al. IL-12 is expressed and released by human keratinocytes and epidermoid carcinoma cell lines. J Immunol. 1994;153:5366-72 pubmed..Thus, one may speculate that keratinocytes via this capacity may influence the fate of Th-mediated immune responses, favoring Th1 responses by enhanced production of IL-12 or Th2 responses by reduced IL-12 release. ..
- Koegel H, Kaesler S, Burgstahler R, Werner S, Alzheimer C. Unexpected down-regulation of the hIK1 Ca2+-activated K+ channel by its opener 1-ethyl-2-benzimidazolinone in HaCaT keratinocytes. Inverse effects on cell growth and proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:3323-30 pubmed
- Schiffer R, Neis M, Höller D, Rodríguez F, Geier A, Gartung C, et al. Active influx transport is mediated by members of the organic anion transporting polypeptide family in human epidermal keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;120:285-91 pubmed
- Benedyk M, Sopalla C, Nacken W, Bode G, Melkonyan H, Banfi B, et al. HaCaT keratinocytes overexpressing the S100 proteins S100A8 and S100A9 show increased NADPH oxidase and NF-kappaB activities. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:2001-11 pubmed..Because they are expressed in epithelia under specific conditions, S100A8 and S100A9 might be involved in skin pathogenesis by modulating aspects of downstream signaling. ..
- Koch P, Stenzinger A, Viard M, Marker D, Mayser P, Nilles M, et al. The novel protein PTPIP51 is expressed in human keratinocyte carcinomas and their surrounding stroma. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:2083-95 pubmed publisher..The results showed a distinct mainly membranous expression pattern of PTPIP51 in BCCs and SCCs. Since PTPIP51 was also detected in the peritumoural tissue, the protein may play a crucial role in ke ..
- Petermann P, Haase I, Knebel Mörsdorf D. Impact of Rac1 and Cdc42 signaling during early herpes simplex virus type 1 infection of keratinocytes. J Virol. 2009;83:9759-72 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that HSV-1 infection of keratinocytes does not depend on pathways involving Rac1 and Cdc42 and that constitutively active Rac1 and Cdc42 have the potential to interfere with HSV-1 infectivity. ..
- Arenberger P, Kemeny L, Ruzicka T. Defect of epidermal 12(S)-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid receptors in psoriasis. Eur J Clin Invest. 1992;22:235-43 pubmed
- Grether Beck S, Felsner I, Brenden H, Krutmann J. Mitochondrial cytochrome c release mediates ceramide-induced activator protein 2 activation and gene expression in keratinocytes. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47498-507 pubmed..Mitochondria thus have a previously unrecognized function in signaling ceramide-induced transcription factor activation and gene regulation. ..
- Kamp H, Geilen C, Sommer C, Blume Peytavi U. Regulation of PDGF and PDGF receptor in cultured dermal papilla cells and follicular keratinocytes of the human hair follicle. Exp Dermatol. 2003;12:662-72 pubmed..The question concerning the latter hypothesis remains to be elucidated in further studies on whole organ cultures. ..
- Ganzenmueller T, Matthaei M, Muench P, Scheible M, Iftner A, Hiller T, et al. The E7 protein of the cottontail rabbit papillomavirus immortalizes normal rabbit keratinocytes and reduces pRb levels, while E6 cooperates in immortalization but neither degrades p53 nor binds E6AP. Virology. 2008;372:313-24 pubmed..In summary, CRPV E7 immortalizes rabbit keratinocytes in a species-specific manner and E6 contributes to immortalization without directly affecting p53...
- Bocheva G, Rattenholl A, Kempkes C, Goerge T, Lin C, D Andrea M, et al. Role of matriptase and proteinase-activated receptor-2 in nonmelanoma skin cancer. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:1816-23 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results suggest that PAR(2) is a substrate for matriptase in human skin in vivo. Deregulation of these proteins delineates SCC progression. ..
- Wölfle U, Esser P, Simon Haarhaus B, Martin S, Lademann J, Schempp C. UVB-induced DNA damage, generation of reactive oxygen species, and inflammation are effectively attenuated by the flavonoid luteolin in vitro and in vivo. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011;50:1081-93 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that luteolin may protect human skin from UVB-induced damage by a combination of UV-absorbing, DNA-protective, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. ..
- Becker Pauly C, Barre O, Schilling O, auf dem Keller U, Ohler A, Broder C, et al. Proteomic analyses reveal an acidic prime side specificity for the astacin metalloprotease family reflected by physiological substrates. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011;10:M111.009233 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the novel substrate FGF-19 was validated biochemically and shown to exhibit altered biological activity after meprin processing. ..
- Schmidt M, Polednik C, Roller J, Hagen R. Cytotoxicity of herbal extracts used for treatment of prostatic disease on head and neck carcinoma cell lines and non-malignant primary mucosal cells. Oncol Rep. 2013;29:628-36 pubmed publisher..The relationship between expression levels of AR and multidrug resistance markers in relation to the measured toxicity of herbal extracts in our head and neck cancer cell system is critically discussed...
- Kiesewetter F, Arai A, Schell H. Sex hormones and antiandrogens influence in vitro growth of dermal papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes of human hair follicles. J Invest Dermatol. 1993;101:98S-105S pubmed..The papilla cells and outer root sheath keratinocytes reacted more sensitively to the hormones tested, thereby confirming the concept of a distinct androgen sensitivity of these specialized hair follicle cells. ..
- Hammami Hauasli N, Raghunath M, Kuster W, Bruckner Tuderman L. Transient bullous dermolysis of the newborn associated with compound heterozygosity for recessive and dominant COL7A1 mutations. J Invest Dermatol. 1998;111:1214-9 pubmed..Accordingly, TBDN keratinocytes in vitro accumulated collagen VII intracellularly in the rough endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Brandner J, Kief S, Grund C, Rendl M, Houdek P, Kuhn C, et al. Organization and formation of the tight junction system in human epidermis and cultured keratinocytes. Eur J Cell Biol. 2002;81:253-63 pubmed..The pattern of formation and possible functions of epidermal TJ and related structures are discussed. ..
- Rieg S, Garbe C, Sauer B, Kalbacher H, Schittek B. Dermcidin is constitutively produced by eccrine sweat glands and is not induced in epidermal cells under inflammatory skin conditions. Br J Dermatol. 2004;151:534-9 pubmed..By modulating surface colonization, DCD may help to prevent local and systemic invasion of pathogens. ..
- Naim R, Sadick H, Bayerl C, Riedel F, Schafer C, Bran G, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor induces VEGF in human external auditory canal cholesteatoma cell culture. Int J Mol Med. 2005;15:67-71 pubmed..HGF/SF appears to activate cellular pathways inducing release of VEGF. After purification, no fibroblasts were present in our EACC culture so as to exclude possible paracrine effects by fibroblasts. ..
- Habig M, Smola H, Dole V, Derynck R, Pfister H, Smola Hess S. E7 proteins from high- and low-risk human papillomaviruses bind to TGF-beta-regulated Smad proteins and inhibit their transcriptional activity. Arch Virol. 2006;151:1961-72 pubmed..Our data strongly indicate that the Smad-binding capacity of E7 proteins from different HPVs may preserve keratinocyte proliferation required for the productive viral life cycle rather than promoting carcinogenesis. ..
- Prass M, Jacobson K, Mogilner A, Radmacher M. Direct measurement of the lamellipodial protrusive force in a migrating cell. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:767-72 pubmed..Rather, the curves indicate that the protrusive force generation is a complex multiphase process involving actin and adhesion dynamics. ..
- Rebholz B, Haase I, Eckelt B, Paxian S, Flaig M, Ghoreschi K, et al. Crosstalk between keratinocytes and adaptive immune cells in an IkappaBalpha protein-mediated inflammatory disease of the skin. Immunity. 2007;27:296-307 pubmed..This finding emphasizes the important role of aberrant NF-kappaB activation in both keratinocytes and lymphocytes in the development of the observed inflammatory skin changes. ..
- Zigrino P, Steiger J, Fox J, Löffek S, Schild A, Nischt R, et al. Role of ADAM-9 disintegrin-cysteine-rich domains in human keratinocyte migration. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30785-93 pubmed..In summary, our results indicate that the ADAM-9 adhesive domain plays a role in regulating the motility of cells by interaction with beta1 integrins and modulates MMP synthesis. ..
- Pivarcsi A, Muller A, Hippe A, Rieker J, Van Lierop A, Steinhoff M, et al. Tumor immune escape by the loss of homeostatic chemokine expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19055-60 pubmed..Collectively, our data identify a mechanism of skin tumors to evade host antitumor immune responses. ..
- Zippel J, Deters A, Pappai D, Hensel A. A high molecular arabinogalactan from Ribes nigrum L.: influence on cell physiology of human skin fibroblasts and keratinocytes and internalization into cells via endosomal transport. Carbohydr Res. 2009;344:1001-8 pubmed publisher..The FITC-labeled polysaccharide was incorporated in a time-dependent manner into human fibroblasts (laser scanning microscopy) via endosomal transport. This internalization of the polysaccharide was inhibited by Cytochalasin B. ..
- Adams S, Munz B. RIP4 is a target of multiple signal transduction pathways in keratinocytes: implications for epidermal differentiation and cutaneous wound repair. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:126-37 pubmed publisher..As a whole, our data indicate that rip4 expression is regulated in a complex manner, which might have therapeutic implications. ..
- Rafei D, Muller R, Ishii N, Llamazares M, Hashimoto T, Hertl M, et al. IgG autoantibodies against desmocollin 3 in pemphigus sera induce loss of keratinocyte adhesion. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:718-23 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that IgG autoantibodies against an additional component of the desmosomes, Dsc3, induce loss of keratinocyte adhesion and thus may contribute to blister formation in pemphigus. ..
- Qu H, Wen T, Pesch M, Aumailley M. Partial loss of epithelial phenotype in kindlin-1-deficient keratinocytes. Am J Pathol. 2012;180:1581-92 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the constellation of molecular defects associated with the loss of kindlin-1 may explain the higher incidence of skin cancer observed in patients affected with this disorder. ..
- Reichstein A, Vortherms S, Bannwitz S, Tentrop J, Prinz H, Muller K. Synthesis and structure-activity relationships of lapacho analogues. 1. Suppression of human keratinocyte hyperproliferation by 2-substituted naphtho[2,3-b]furan-4,9-diones, activation by enzymatic one- and two-electron reduction, and intracellular g. J Med Chem. 2012;55:7273-84 pubmed publisher..Selected compounds were studied in detail for their capability to generate superoxide radicals both in isolated enzymatic one- and two-electron reduction assays as well as in a HaCaT cell-based assay. ..
- Lindenschmidt C, Krane D, Vortherms S, Hilbig L, Prinz H, MÃ¼ller K. 8-Halo-substituted naphtho[2,3-b]thiophene-4,9-diones as redox-active inhibitors of keratinocyte hyperproliferation with reduced membrane-damaging properties. Eur J Med Chem. 2016;110:280-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, selective compounds were characterized for their ability to participate in redox cycling to generate superoxide in enzymatic and keratinocyte-based studies. ..
- Dunsche A, Acil Y, Dommisch H, Siebert R, Schröder J, Jepsen S. The novel human beta-defensin-3 is widely expressed in oral tissues. Eur J Oral Sci. 2002;110:121-4 pubmed..The results indicate an important role for the novel hBD-3, as well as for hBD-1 and hBD-2, in the innate oral epithelial host defense. ..
- Franzke C, Tasanen K, Schäcke H, Zhou Z, Tryggvason K, Mauch C, et al. Transmembrane collagen XVII, an epithelial adhesion protein, is shed from the cell surface by ADAMs. EMBO J. 2002;21:5026-35 pubmed..Functionally, release of the ectodomain of collagen XVII from the cell surface was associated with altered keratinocyte motility in vitro. ..
- Sadowski T, Dietrich S, Koschinsky F, Sedlacek R. Matrix metalloproteinase 19 regulates insulin-like growth factor-mediated proliferation, migration, and adhesion in human keratinocytes through proteolysis of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:4569-80 pubmed..This activity might have widespread consequences for the behavior of epidermal keratinocytes. ..
- Johnsen S, Ermuth T, Tanczos E, Bannasch H, Horch R, Zschocke I, et al. Treatment of therapy-refractive ulcera cruris of various origins with autologous keratinocytes in fibrin sealant. Vasa. 2005;34:25-9 pubmed..4%. The present observational study indicates that the transplantation of autologous keratinocytes suspended in fibrin sealant could be of advantage in the treatment of refractive leg ulcers. ..
- Czuchra A, Meyer H, Legate K, Brakebusch C, Fassler R. Genetic analysis of beta1 integrin "activation motifs" in mice. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:889-99 pubmed
- Ramadass R, Becker D, Jendrach M, Bereiter Hahn J. Spectrally and spatially resolved fluorescence lifetime imaging in living cells: TRPV4-microfilament interactions. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;463:27-36 pubmed..Thus, this study shows for the first time that TRPV4 and actin intimately associate within living cells. The significance of this finding for cell volume regulation is highlighted. ..
- Steinhoff M, Biro T. A TR(I)P to pruritus research: role of TRPV3 in inflammation and itch. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:531-5 pubmed publisher..New evidence indicates that the vanilloid type 3 (TRPV3) channel is crucially involved in pruritic dermatitis, making it a good candidate for future therapy in skin inflammation and pruritus. ..
- Leuner K, Kraus M, Woelfle U, Beschmann H, Harteneck C, Boehncke W, et al. Reduced TRPC channel expression in psoriatic keratinocytes is associated with impaired differentiation and enhanced proliferation. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14716 pubmed publisher..As TRPC6 channel activation can partially overcome this Ca(2+) entry defect, specific TRPC channel activators may be potential new drug candidates for the topical treatment of psoriasis. ..
- Bohm M, Metze D, Schulte U, Becher E, Luger T, Brzoska T. Detection of melanocortin-1 receptor antigenicity on human skin cells in culture and in situ. Exp Dermatol. 1999;8:453-61 pubmed..Interfollicular epidermis was largely unreactive in adult skin as opposed to undifferentiated keratinocytes of fetal skin. Our findings form a framework within which MC-1 receptor expression can be studied in various skin diseases. ..
- Lehmann B, Genehr T, Knuschke P, Pietzsch J, Meurer M. UVB-induced conversion of 7-dehydrocholesterol to 1alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in an in vitro human skin equivalent model. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:1179-85 pubmed..Hence, keratinocytes in the presence of physiologic concentrations of 7-dehydrocholesterol and irradiated with therapeutic doses of ultraviolet B may be a potential source of biologically active calcitriol within the epidermis. ..
- Welss T, Sun J, Irving J, Blum R, Smith A, Whisstock J, et al. Hurpin is a selective inhibitor of lysosomal cathepsin L and protects keratinocytes from ultraviolet-induced apoptosis. Biochemistry. 2003;42:7381-9 pubmed..Given that lysosomal disruption, release of catL, and catL-mediated caspase activation are known to occur in response to cellular stress, we propose that a physiological role of hurpin is to protect epithelial cells from ectopic catL. ..
- Kamaruzzaman N, Firdessa R, Good L. Bactericidal effects of polyhexamethylene biguanide against intracellular Staphylococcus aureus EMRSA-15 and USA 300. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:1252-9 pubmed publisher..PHMB kills intracellular MRSA via direct interaction with pathogens inside keratinocytes and host cell entry is dynamin dependent. ..
- Pasparakis M, Courtois G, Hafner M, Schmidt Supprian M, Nenci A, Toksoy A, et al. TNF-mediated inflammatory skin disease in mice with epidermis-specific deletion of IKK2. Nature. 2002;417:861-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that the critical function of IKK2-mediated NF-kappa B activity in epidermal keratinocytes is to regulate mechanisms that maintain the immune homeostasis of the skin. ..
- Wisser D, Steffes J. Skin replacement with a collagen based dermal substitute, autologous keratinocytes and fibroblasts in burn trauma. Burns. 2003;29:375-80 pubmed..A correlation could be observed between the time of complete wound closure and the number of fibroblasts applied. The patient was monitored over a period of 1 year and showed good functional and cosmetic results. ..
- Welss T, Basketter D, Schröder K. In vitro skin irritation: facts and future. State of the art review of mechanisms and models. Toxicol In Vitro. 2004;18:231-43 pubmed
- Loser K, Mehling A, Apelt J, Ständer S, Andres P, Reinecker H, et al. Enhanced contact hypersensitivity and antiviral immune responses in vivo by keratinocyte-targeted overexpression of IL-15. Eur J Immunol. 2004;34:2022-31 pubmed..Together, our results show that overexpression of IL-15 in the epidermis enhances both innate and adaptive cutaneous immunity. ..
- Bockelmann R, Horn T, Gollnick H, Bonnekoh B. Interferon-gamma-dependent in vitro model for the putative keratin 17 autoimmune loop in psoriasis: exploration of pharmaco- and gene-therapeutic effects. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2005;18:42-54 pubmed..Finally, we defined a K17-directed and effective antisense oligodesoxynucleotide which may hold promise for future gene-therapeutic approaches in psoriasis. ..
- Bauer R, Hein R, Bosserhoff A. A secreted form of P-cadherin is expressed in malignant melanoma. Exp Cell Res. 2005;305:418-26 pubmed
- Schweiger D, Furstenberger G, Krieg P. Inducible expression of 15-lipoxygenase-2 and 8-lipoxygenase inhibits cell growth via common signaling pathways. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:553-64 pubmed..Our data suggest that 15-LOX-2 and 8-LOX, although displaying different positional specificity, may use common signaling pathways to induce growth inhibition in premalignant epithelial cells. ..
- Montanez E, Piwko Czuchra A, Bauer M, Li S, Yurchenco P, Fassler R. Analysis of integrin functions in peri-implantation embryos, hematopoietic system, and skin. Methods Enzymol. 2007;426:239-89 pubmed
- Ehrchen J, Roebrock K, Foell D, Nippe N, von Stebut E, Weiss J, et al. Keratinocytes determine Th1 immunity during early experimental leishmaniasis. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1000871 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data indicate for the first time that epidermal cytokine expression is a decisive factor in the generation of protective Th1 immunity and contributes to the outcome of infection with this important human pathogen. ..
- Voss A, Bode G, Sopalla C, Benedyk M, Varga G, Bohm M, et al. Expression of S100A8/A9 in HaCaT keratinocytes alters the rate of cell proliferation and differentiation. FEBS Lett. 2011;585:440-6 pubmed publisher..S100A8/A9 is induced in epithelial cells in response to stress. Therefore, S100A8/A9-mediated growth arrest could have implications for tissue remodeling and repair. ..
- Imre G, Heering J, Takeda A, Husmann M, Thiede B, zu Heringdorf D, et al. Caspase-2 is an initiator caspase responsible for pore-forming toxin-mediated apoptosis. EMBO J. 2012;31:2615-28 pubmed publisher..These results revealed a thus far unknown, obligatory role for caspase-2 as an initiator caspase during PFT-mediated apoptosis. ..
- Vidali S, Knuever J, Lerchner J, Giesen M, Biro T, Klinger M, et al. Hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis hormones stimulate mitochondrial function and biogenesis in human hair follicles. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:33-42 pubmed publisher..The neuroendocrine control of mitochondrial biology in a complex human mini-organ revealed here may be therapeutically exploitable. ..
- Kumari S, Bonnet M, Ulvmar M, Wolk K, Karagianni N, Witte E, et al. Tumor necrosis factor receptor signaling in keratinocytes triggers interleukin-24-dependent psoriasis-like skin inflammation in mice. Immunity. 2013;39:899-911 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results expand current views on psoriasis pathogenesis by revealing a new keratinocyte-intrinsic mechanism that links TNFR1, NF-?B, ERK, IL-24, IL-22R1, and STAT3 signaling to disease initiation. ..
- Basmanav F, Oprişoreanu A, Pasternack S, Thiele H, Fritz G, Wenzel J, et al. Mutations in POGLUT1, encoding protein O-glucosyltransferase 1, cause autosomal-dominant Dowling-Degos disease. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:135-43 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, both POGLUT1 and POFUT1 are essential regulators of Notch activity. Our results furthermore emphasize the important role of the Notch pathway in pigmentation and keratinocyte morphology. ..
- Bujia J, Holly A, Kim C, Scanady N, Kastenbauer E. Expression of human intercellular adhesion molecules in middle ear cholesteatoma. Am J Otolaryngol. 1994;15:271-5 pubmed
- Frank S, Hübner G, Breier G, Longaker M, Greenhalgh D, Werner S. Regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor expression in cultured keratinocytes. Implications for normal and impaired wound healing. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:12607-13 pubmed..In contrast, VEGF mRNA levels even declined during this period in db/db mice, suggesting that a defect in VEGF regulation might be associated with wound healing disorders. ..
- Schumann H, Hammami Hauasli N, Pulkkinen L, Mauviel A, Kuster W, Lüthi U, et al. Three novel homozygous point mutations and a new polymorphism in the COL17A1 gene: relation to biological and clinical phenotypes of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Am J Hum Genet. 1997;60:1344-53 pubmed
- Potter T, Göhde W, Wedemeyer N, Köhnlein W. Keratinocytes exposed to ultraviolet radiation reveal three down-regulated genes with potential function in differentiation and cell cycle control. Radiat Res. 2000;154:151-8 pubmed..Because of their potential involvement in cell cycle control and differentiation, these proteins could be important for understanding the reaction of keratinocytes after exposure to UV radiation. ..
- Muller K, Reindl H, Breu K. Heterocyclic substituted anthralin derivatives as inhibitors of keratinocyte growth and inducers of differentiation. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2001;11:47-50 pubmed..As a benefit of its strongly diminished potential to generate oxygen radicals, 2e did not induce damage of keratinocyte membranes. ..
- Bonowitz A, Schaller M, Laude J, Reimer K, Korting H. Comparative therapeutic and toxic effects of different povidone iodine (PVP-I) formulations in a model of oral candidosis based on in vitro reconstituted epithelium. J Drug Target. 2001;9:75-83 pubmed..In conclusion the liposomal PVP-I formulation appeared superior to the conventional ointment formulation because of both less toxicity and better therapeutical effects. ..
- Weimann T, Wagner C, Funk R, Hirche H, Goos M, Wagner S. Hyaluronan-independent adhesion of CD44H+ and CD44v10+ lymphocytes to dermal microvascular endothelial cells and keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2001;117:949-57 pubmed
- Piecha D, Hartmann K, Kobbe B, Haase I, Mauch C, Krieg T, et al. Expression of matrilin-2 in human skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:38-43 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that matrilin-2 is expressed in normal skin by keratinocytes and fibroblasts and may thus contribute to cutaneous homeostasis. ..