Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on israel in Israel
Publications413 found, 100 shown here
- Salai M, Pritsch M, Amit Y, Israeli A, Chechick A. Twenty-five years of clinical experience with bone banking in Israel. Isr Med Assoc J. 1999;1:20-2 pubmed..Improvement of quality control and quality assurance of the banked tissues, together with development of skills in the use of osteoinductive and osteoconductive materials, cast the future of musculoskeletal tissue banking. ..
- Lerner A, Solter E, Rachi E, Adler A, Rechnitzer H, Miron D, et al. Detection and characterization of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in wounded Syrian patients admitted to hospitals in northern Israel. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;35:149-54 pubmed publisher..The finding of the same sequence type among patients at different medical centers implies a common, prehospital source for these patients. These findings have implications for public health throughout the region. ..
- Ben Bassat T, Avnieli S. The effect of a road safety educational program for kindergarten children on their parents' behavior and knowledge. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;95:78-85 pubmed publisher..These results confirm the importance of educational programs on road safety, especially as triggers and reminders to children and to their parents, to act as cautious road users. ..
- Aharonowitz G, Koton S, Segal S, Anis E, Green M. Epidemiological characteristics of spotted fever in Israel over 26 years. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:1321-2 pubmed..Thus, even during periods of low incidence, careful monitoring and high awareness for prompt diagnosis and treatment are needed...
- Shulman L, Manor Y, Handsher R, Delpeyroux F, McDonough M, Halmut T, et al. Molecular and antigenic characterization of a highly evolved derivative of the type 2 oral poliovaccine strain isolated from sewage in Israel. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:3729-34 pubmed
- Samra Z, Shmuely H, Niv Y, Dinari G, Passaro D, Geler A, et al. Resistance of Helicobacter pylori isolated in Israel to metronidazole, clarithromycin, tetracycline, amoxicillin and cefixime. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002;49:1023-6 pubmed..7% and 38.2% for metronidazole (MIC >or= 8 mg/L) (P = 0.03); 46.4% and 8.2% for clarithromycin (MIC >or= 2 mg/L) (P < 0.001). Therapeutic outcome would benefit from susceptibility testing, especially after treatment failure. ..
- Chen Shtoyerman R, Theodor L, Harmati E, Friedman E, Dacka S, Kopelman Y, et al. Genetic analysis of familial colorectal cancer in Israeli Arabs. Hum Mutat. 2003;21:446-7 pubmed..We suggest that the I1307K mutation may contribute to CRC in Israeli Arabs and that inactivating mutations of MSH2 and MLH1 may not be a major cause for early onset CRC. ..
- Avisar R, Friling R, Snir M, Avisar I, Weinberger D. Estimation of prevalence and incidence rates and causes of blindness in Israel, 1998-2003. Isr Med Assoc J. 2006;8:880-1 pubmed..The results indicate that the incidence of age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy in Israel is increasing, while that of glaucoma, myopic maculopthy, optic atrophy and cataract is decreasing. ..
- Paul M, Gafter Gvili A, Leibovici L, Bishara J, Levy I, Yaniv I, et al. The epidemiology of bacteremia with febrile neutropenia: experience from a single center, 1988-2004. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:424-9 pubmed..Empiric antibiotic treatment should be tailored to patients' risk for multidrug-resistant organisms. Individual hospitals should monitor infection epidemiology among cancer patients to guide empiric antibiotic treatment. ..
- Hod Feins R, Copeliovitch L, Abu Kishk I, Eshel G, Lotan G, Shalmon E, et al. Superior mesenteric artery syndrome after scoliosis repair surgery: a case study and reassessment of the syndrome's pathogenesis. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2007;16:345-9 pubmed..SMAS prevalence in our series was 1.6%. SMAS might occur after derotation and translation forces application, and even with nonextreme corrections. Low BMI and significant weight loss at presentation are not mandatory. ..
- Rock W, Colodner R, Chazan B, Elias M, Raz R. Ten years surveillance of antimicrobial susceptibility of community-acquired Escherichia coli and other uropathogens in northern Israel (1995-2005). Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:803-5 pubmed..There was, however, a constant decrease in susceptibility of all Gram-negative uropathogens to ciprofloxacin. Antibiotic use patterns could not explain the changes seen in antibiotic susceptibility patterns. ..
- Shmueli A, Achdut L, Sabag Endeweld M. Financing the package of services during the first decade of the national health insurance law in Israel: trends and issues. Health Policy. 2008;87:273-84 pubmed publisher..After 10 years of experience, the system might need refreshment and policy amendments that will correspond to its original aspirations. ..
- Ben Nathan D, Gershoni Yahalom O, Samina I, Khinich Y, Nur I, Laub O, et al. Using high titer West Nile intravenous immunoglobulin from selected Israeli donors for treatment of West Nile virus infection. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:18 pubmed publisher..2 or 1.0 mg WNIG 4 h after virus infection, led to 100% survival. IVIG produced from selected plasma donated in WNV endemic regions can be used to produce WNV IVIG with superior activity for therapeutic and prophylactic measures. ..
- Heller H, Bar Tal A, Tamir G, Bloom P, Venterea R, Chen D, et al. Effects of manure and cultivation on carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide emissions from a corn field under Mediterranean conditions. J Environ Qual. 2010;39:437-48 pubmed publisher..Regardless of cultivation practices, elevated N(2)O emissions were recorded in the PCM treatment. These emissions could negate some of the beneficial effects of PCM on soil properties. ..
- Zisberg A, Gur Yaish N, Shochat T. Contribution of routine to sleep quality in community elderly. Sleep. 2010;33:509-14 pubmed..Maintenance of daily routines is associated with a reduced rate of insomnia in the elderly. Further studies should examine these relations in broader populations with regard to health, functional status, and cultural background. ..
- Shihmanter E, Weisman Y, Lublin A, Mechani S, Gruenberg R, Horowith H, et al. Avian paramyxoviruses serotype 3 isolated from captive birds in Israel: clinical signs, pathology, and antigenic characterization. Avian Dis. 1998;42:418-22 pubmed..This is the first isolation of APMV-3 from birds belonging to the orders Anseriformes and Ciconiiformes. ..
- Rager Zisman B, Bazarsky E, Skibin A, Tam G, Chamney S, Belmaker I, et al. Differential immune responses to primary measles-mumps-rubella vaccination in Israeli children. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2004;11:913-8 pubmed..It is not known whether genetic differences or environmental exposure accounts for these differences. ..
- Kagan I, Kigli Shemesh R. Relocation into a new building and its effect on uncertainty and anxiety among psychiatric patients. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2005;12:603-6 pubmed..This study highlights the need to prepare patients and provide interventions relieving anxiety and lowering uncertainty before environmentally stressful events, such as relocation to a new building. ..
- Weintraub A, Sheiner E, Levy A, Yerushalmi R, Mazor M. Pregnancy complications in women with inherited thrombophilia. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2006;274:125-9 pubmed..Inherited thrombophilia, associated with previous fetal losses, recurrent abortions, fertility treatments, and intrauterine growth restriction, was not an independent risk factor for perinatal mortality. ..
- Novack L, Jotkowitz A, Knyazer B, Novack V. Evidence-based medicine: assessment of knowledge of basic epidemiological and research methods among medical doctors. Postgrad Med J. 2006;82:817-22 pubmed..This study found a low level of knowledge of basic principles of research methods and data analysis among doctors, and this knowledge considerably differed by country of medical school graduation. ..
- Levy G, Goldstein L, Blachar A, Apter S, Barenboim E, Bar Dayan Y, et al. Postmortem computed tomography in victims of military air mishaps: radiological-pathological correlation of CT findings. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:699-702 pubmed..3% for autopsy, 90.3% for postmortem CT, P = not significant). Postmortem CT and autopsy have distinct performance profiles, and although the first cannot replace the latter it is a useful complementary examination. ..
- Shwimmer A, Freed M, Blum S, Khatib N, Weissblit L, Friedman S, et al. Mastitis caused by Yersinia pseudotuberculosis in Israeli dairy cattle and public health implications. Zoonoses Public Health. 2007;54:353-7 pubmed..All but two of the cows were culled. The literature describing cases of bovine mastitis caused by Y. pseudotuberculosis is reviewed and the human public health implications are discussed. ..
- Bala M, Edden Y, Mintz Y, Kisselgoff D, Gercenstein I, Rivkind A, et al. Blunt splenic trauma: predictors for successful non-operative management. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:857-61 pubmed..Non-operative management of blunt splenic trauma is the preferred option in hemodynamically stable patients...
- Gafter Gvili A, Ribakovsky E, Mizrahi N, Avigdor A, Aviv A, Vidal L, et al. Infections associated with bendamustine containing regimens in hematological patients: a retrospective multi-center study. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016;57:63-9 pubmed publisher..374-0.926), p = 0.022], Hb level [HR = 0.791 (95% CI = 0.716-0.875), p < 0.0001] and ischemic heart disease [HR = 1.828 (95% CI = 1.165-2.868), p = 0.009]. Infections were associated with a higher mortality and hospitalization rate. ..
- Nitzan O, Brodsky Y, Edelstein H, Hershko D, Saliba W, Keness Y, et al. Microbiologic Data in Acute Cholecystitis: Ten Years' Experience from Bile Cultures Obtained during Percutaneous Cholecystostomy. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:345-349 pubmed publisher..09). Empiric antibiotic regimens were adequate in only two-thirds of patients. There might be a trend for poorer outcome in patients treated with inadequate antibiotic agents, emphasizing the importance of tailoring antibiotic treatment. ..
- Bentwich Z, Saxinger C, Ben Ishay Z, Burstein R, Berner Y, Pecht M, et al. Immune impairments and antibodies to HTLVIII/LAV in asymptomatic male homosexuals in Israel: relevance to the risk of acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). J Clin Immunol. 1987;7:376-80 pubmed
- Sukenik S, Flusser D, Codish S, Abu Shakra M. Balneotherapy at the Dead Sea area for knee osteoarthritis. Isr Med Assoc J. 1999;1:83-5 pubmed..Balneotherapy at the Dead Sea area has a beneficial effect on patients with osteoarthritis of the knees, an effect that lastas at least 3 months. ..
- Schwartz E, Gur H. Dermatobia hominis myiasis: an emerging disease among travelers to the Amazon basin of Bolivia. J Travel Med. 2002;9:97-9 pubmed
- Berger G, Landau T, Berger S, Finkelstein Y, Bernheim J, Ophir D. The rising incidence of adult acute epiglottitis and epiglottic abscess. Am J Otolaryngol. 2003;24:374-83 pubmed..To examine preliminary observations that the incidence of adult acute epiglottitis has risen between 1986 and 2000...
- Klement E, Uliel L, Engel I, Hasin T, Yavzori M, Orr N, et al. An outbreak of pertussis among young Israeli soldiers. Epidemiol Infect. 2003;131:1049-54 pubmed..pertussis as a causative agent of epidemic respiratory infections in young adults and reveal the occurrence of a significant proportion of pertussis transient carriers during an outbreak of the disease. ..
- Bishara J, Livne G, Ashkenazi S, Levy I, Pitlik S, Ofir O, et al. Antibacterial susceptibility of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli. Isr Med Assoc J. 2005;7:298-301 pubmed..All isolates were sensitive to ertapenem and colistin. ESBL production among K. pneumoniae and E. coli is more prevalent in the adult population than the pediatric population and is associated with multidrug resistance. ..
- Vistoropsky Y, Trofimov S, Malkin I, Kobyliansky E, Livshits G. Genetic and environmental determinants of hepatocyte growth factor levels and their association with obesity and blood pressure. Ann Hum Biol. 2008;35:93-103 pubmed publisher..It is possible that the familial resemblance for WHR and the SBP correlation in the studied sample is affected substantially by genetic factors regulating circulating HGF levels. ..
- Baron Epel O, Garty Sandalon N, Green M. [Patterns of utilization of healthcare services among immigrants to Israel from the former Soviet Union]. Harefuah. 2008;147:282-6, 376 pubmed..The use of community healthcare services among immigrants is similar to the use among veteran Jews. However, the immigrant population in Israel utilizes preventive services less often than the veteran Jewish population. ..
- Goldenberg I, Benderly M, Sidi R, Boyko V, Tenenbaum A, Tanne D, et al. Relation of clinical benefit of raising high-density lipoprotein cholesterol to serum levels of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in patients with coronary heart disease (from the Bezafibrate Infarction Prevention Trial). Am J Cardiol. 2009;103:41-5 pubmed publisher
- Chapagain B, Wiesman Z. MALDI-TOF/MS fingerprinting of triacylglycerols (TAGs) in olive oils produced in the Israeli Negev desert. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:1135-42 pubmed publisher..Additionally, this study also shows the high levels of tocopherols and phytosterols in the olive oils produced from the common cultivars grown in the Israeli Negev desert. ..
- Cohen H, Bielorai B, Harats D, Toren A, Pinhas Hamiel O. Conservative treatment of L-asparaginase-associated lipid abnormalities in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;54:703-6 pubmed publisher..We recommend measuring TG before and during asparaginase treatment. Initiation of conservative treatment could prevent further increase of TG and decrease the risk of potential complications. ..
- Rott D, Klempfner R, Goldenberg I, Matetzky S, Elis A. Temporal trends in the outcomes of patients with acute myocardial infarction associated with renal dysfunction over the past decade. Eur J Intern Med. 2016;29:88-92 pubmed publisher..83; CI[0.70-0.94] P=0.01). Prognosis of patients with RD admitted with AMI has significantly improved over the last decade, possibly due to an improvement of pharmacological and non-pharmacological management. ..
- Lifshits M, Kovalerchik D, Carmeli S. Microcystbiopterins A-E, five O-methylated biopterin glycosides from two Microcystis spp. bloom biomasses. Phytochemistry. 2016;123:69-74 pubmed publisher..Microcystbiopterin D is the first heptose containing pterin glycoside to be reported in the literature. Their antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties were evaluated but all were found not active in both assays. ..
- Schlesinger M, Nave Z, Levy Y, Slater P, Fishelson Z. Prevalence of hereditary properdin, C7 and C8 deficiencies in patients with meningococcal infections. Clin Exp Immunol. 1990;81:423-7 pubmed..This and other findings indicate that the type of complement abnormality found in association with meningococcal infections varies with the ethnic origin of the patient. ..
- Gottfried R, Lev Wiesel R, Hallak M, Lang Franco N. Inter-relationships between sexual abuse, female sexual function and childbirth. Midwifery. 2015;31:1087-95 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for future research are presented and discussed. ..
- Baneth G, Breitschwerdt E, Hegarty B, Pappalardo B, Ryan J. A survey of tick-borne bacteria and protozoa in naturally exposed dogs from Israel. Vet Parasitol. 1998;74:133-42 pubmed..burgdorferi is likely. Seroreactivity to B. vinsonii (berkhoffii) in dogs outside the USA is reported here for the first time. ..
- Kulik L. Marital relationship in late adulthood: synchronous versus asynchronous couples. Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2001;52:323-39 pubmed..Nonetheless, marital power relations were generally egalitarian in all four groups. ..
- Birenbaum Carmeli D, Carmeli Y. Physiognomy, familism and consumerism: preferences among Jewish-Israeli recipients of donor insemination. Soc Sci Med. 2002;54:363-76 pubmed..their own features; single women's preferences vs. those of married ones. The paper ends with a discussion of the social implications of democratized DI on family, gender power relations and social hegemony. ..
- Sadetzki S, Chetrit A, Akstein E, Keinan L, Luxenburg O, Modan B. Relinquishment of infants with Down syndrome in Israel: trends by time. Am J Ment Retard. 2000;105:480-5 pubmed..A decision to relinquish a newborn infant in the hospital is probably based on a combination of several parameters, such as the economic status of the family, social mores, and religious beliefs. ..
- Lavi E, Rosenberg J. [Disclosure of severe development disability: a survey of parents' experiences and preferences at an Israeli child development center]. Harefuah. 2005;144:322-6, 383 pubmed..Our findings point to concrete steps that clinicians can take in order to increase the chances of parental satisfaction with these meetings. ..
- Yeruham I, Yadin H, van Ham M, Bumbarov V, Soham A, Perl S. Economic and epidemiological aspects of an outbreak of sheeppox in a dairy sheep flock. Vet Rec. 2007;160:236-7 pubmed
- Steinman A, Millet N, Frenkel C, King R, Shpigel N. Presence of antibotulinum neurotoxin antibodies in selected wild canids in Israel. J Wildl Dis. 2007;43:548-50 pubmed..This report describes detection of anti BoNT antibodies in wild canids other than coyotes (Canis latrans) for the first time and demonstrates that C. botulinum type C is prevalent in Israel...
- Peled R, Carmil D, Siboni Samocha O, Shoham Vardi I. Breast cancer, psychological distress and life events among young women. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:245 pubmed publisher..OR-0.75, 95% CI:0.64-0.86). Young women who were exposed to a number of life events, should be considered as a risk group for BC and treated accordingly. ..
- Klinger G, Levy I, Sirota L, Boyko V, Reichman B, Lerner Geva L. Epidemiology and risk factors for early onset sepsis among very-low-birthweight infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009;201:38.e1-6 pubmed publisher..EOS was caused mainly by gram-negative bacteria. Prolonged rupture of membranes and amnionitis have an additive effect on EOS with an above 8-fold excess risk when both were present. ..
- Tandeter H, Grynbaum M, Zuili I, Shany S, Shvartzman P. Serum 25-OH vitamin D levels in patients with fibromyalgia. Isr Med Assoc J. 2009;11:339-42 pubmed..We found the expected seasonal variations of 25OHD levels, though these were not statistically significant. We found no association between fibromyalgia and low 25OHD levels as previously suggested in other studies. ..
- Green T, Gothelf D, Glaser B, Debbane M, Frisch A, Kotler M, et al. Psychiatric disorders and intellectual functioning throughout development in velocardiofacial (22q11.2 deletion) syndrome. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009;48:1060-8 pubmed publisher..Prospective longitudinal studies are needed to examine the nature of age-related cognitive changes and their association with psychiatric morbidity in VCFS. ..
- Talmi Frank D, Jaffe C, Nasereddin A, Warburg A, King R, Svobodova M, et al. Leishmania tropica in rock hyraxes (Procavia capensis) in a focus of human cutaneous leishmaniasis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;82:814-8 pubmed publisher..The high rates of infection and exposure to L. tropica among hyraxes supports their involvement in the transmission cycle of this parasite, and their potential role as a reservoir for human disease...
- Khayat M, Tilghman J, Chervinsky I, Zalman L, Chakravarti A, Shalev S. A PIGN mutation responsible for multiple congenital anomalies-hypotonia-seizures syndrome 1 (MCAHS1) in an Israeli-Arab family. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170A:176-82 pubmed publisher..Our results, strongly support previously published data, that partial depletion of GPI-anchored proteins is sufficient to cause severe phenotypic expression. ..
- Shihmanter E, Weisman Y, Manwell R, Alexander D, Lipkind M. Mixed paramyxovirus infection of wild and domestic birds in Israel. Vet Microbiol. 1997;58:73-8 pubmed..The finding of double APMV infection in poultry farms appears to be important for epizootiology and pathogenesis of APMV-caused diseases...
- Leibovitz A, Plotnikov G, Habot B, Rosenberg M, Segal R. Pathogenic colonization of oral flora in frail elderly patients fed by nasogastric tube or percutaneous enterogastric tube. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2003;58:52-5 pubmed..These findings are related to the risk of aspiration pneumonia and are compelling for the reevaluation of current oral cleansing procedures. ..
- Diamond G, Senecky Y, Schurr D, Zuckerman J, Inbar D, Eidelman A, et al. Pre-placement screening in international adoption. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:763-6 pubmed..A family's decision to adopt or not was associated with the child's performance on Bayley Scales, weight, and current medical status, but not with language delays, serious past medical history or suspect family background. ..
- Brenner J, Tsuda T, Yadin H, Kato T. Serological evidence of akabane virus infection in northern Israel in 2001. J Vet Med Sci. 2004;66:441-3 pubmed..5 and +/- 44.7, standard deviation), whereas only one of the 27 samples from the unaffected farms was positive (titer of 8). These results suggest that the vector(s) of AKAV was circulating in Israel in August through December, 2001...
- Al Krenawi A, Graham J, Dean Y, Eltaiba N. Cross-national study of attitudes towards seeking professional help: Jordan, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Arabs in Israel. Int J Soc Psychiatry. 2004;50:102-14 pubmed..The discussion considers implications for professional service delivery and programme development. Future research could extrapolate findings to other Arab countries and to Arab peoples living in the non-Arab world. ..
- Kaufman Z, Wong W, Peled Leviatan T, Cohen E, Lavy C, Aharonowitz G, et al. Evaluation of a syndromic surveillance system using the WSARE algorithm for early detection of an unusual, localized summer outbreak of influenza B: implications for bioterrorism surveillance. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:3-7 pubmed..Early detection is difficult in this type of fast-developing institutionalized outbreak. However, the information derived from WSARE could help define the outbreak in terms of time, place and the population at risk. ..
- Romem A, Shimony A, Horowitz S, Horowitz J. [Popliteal cyst rupture due to unusual physical stress]. Harefuah. 2007;146:653-4, 736 pubmed..We present a case in which popliteal cyst rupture followed an unusual strenuous physical activity--devoted prayer during the holy month of the Ramadan...
- Dagan R, Givon Lavi N, Leibovitz E, Greenberg D, Porat N. Introduction and proliferation of multidrug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A clones that cause acute otitis media in an unvaccinated population. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:776-85 pubmed..The introduction and proliferation of multidrug-resistant Sp19A occurred before the introduction of PCV7. The increasing proportion of antibiotic-resistant Sp19A suggests that antibiotic use plays an important role in the community. ..
- Shvartzman P, Reuven Y, Halperin M, Menahem S. Advance Directives-The Israeli Experience. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015;49:1097-101 pubmed publisher..7 Â± 3.7 of 15. There is a need to increase awareness in the general population of the option to prepare ADs. Family physicians, oncologists, and geriatricians should be more involved in this process. ..
- Tal A. Rethinking the sustainability of Israel's irrigation practices in the Drylands. Water Res. 2016;90:387-394 pubmed publisher..To be environmentally and agriculturally sustainable over time, wastewater reuse programs must ensure extremely high quality treated effluents and ultimately seek the desalinization of recycled sewage. ..
- Leshno Y, Benjamini C, Edelman Furstenberg Y. Ecological quality assessment in the Eastern Mediterranean combining live and dead molluscan assemblages. Mar Pollut Bull. 2016;104:246-56 pubmed publisher..This adjustment of Bentix, and use of death assemblages for an ecological baseline, should therefore be incorporated in monitoring for compliance with EU directives. ..
- Bacharach E, Mishra N, Briese T, Zody M, Kembou Tsofack J, Zamostiano R, et al. Characterization of a Novel Orthomyxo-like Virus Causing Mass Die-Offs of Tilapia. MBio. 2016;7:e00431-16 pubmed publisher..We also describe complete genomic and protein sequences that will facilitate TiLV detection and containment and enable vaccine development. ..
- Feldman L, Vinker S, Efrati S, Beberashvili I, Gorelik O, Wasser W, et al. Amlodipine treatment of hypertension associates with a decreased dementia risk. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2016;38:545-9 pubmed publisher..This study shows that amlodipine therapy may be associated with a decreased dementia risk in hypertensive individuals older than 60 years, compared to those treated without CCBs. ..
- Padeh S, Shinar Y, Pras E, Zemer D, Langevitz P, Pras M, et al. Clinical and diagnostic value of genetic testing in 216 Israeli children with Familial Mediterranean fever. J Rheumatol. 2003;30:185-90 pubmed..Limited genetic molecular testing for MEFV mutations may explain some of the FMF clinical variability, but is diagnostically ineffective. The use of clinical criteria remains essential in establishing the diagnosis of FMF. ..
- Shohat I, Berkowicz M, Dori S, Horowitz Z, Wolf M, Taicher S, et al. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the sinonasal tract. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2004;97:328-31 pubmed..NHLs of the paranasal sinuses are uncommon. Early diagnosis and combined treatment are essential for achieving an optimal outcome. ..
- Ben Amitai D, Metzker A, Cohen H. Pediatric cutaneous mastocytosis: a review of 180 patients. Isr Med Assoc J. 2005;7:320-2 pubmed..Mastocytosis is a heterogeneous group of diseases characterized by the abnormal infiltration of mast cells in the skin and, sometimes, other organs. Some patients may experience symptoms related to mast cell mediator release...
- Carmi Iluz T, Peleg R, Freud T, Shvartzman P. Verbal and physical violence towards hospital- and community-based physicians in the Negev: an observational study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2005;5:54 pubmed..The impatience that accompanies waiting times may have a cultural element. Shortening waiting times and providing more information to patients and families could reduce the rate of violence, but a cultural change may also be required. ..
- Vered Y, Adut R. [Community aspects of geriatric dentistry--a literature review: 1975-2000]. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim (1993). 2005;22:9-14, 89 pubmed..The continuing anticipated growth of the geriatric population will, hopefully, be translated into a rising political power and to fruitful and practical health outcomes. ..
- Rabinovich E, Shinar Y, Leiba M, Ehrenfeld M, Langevitz P, Livneh A. Common FMF alleles may predispose to development of Behcet's disease with increased risk for venous thrombosis. Scand J Rheumatol. 2007;36:48-52 pubmed..17%, p<0.005, odds ratio (OR) = 6.9, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.75-26.9] and uveitis less often (20% vs. 40%, p<0.05, OR = 0.2, 95% CI 0.04-0.92). MEFV appears to be a susceptibility and modifier gene in BD. ..
- Meltzer E, Schwartz E. Enteric fever: an Israeli perspective. Isr Med Assoc J. 2007;9:736-41 pubmed..Unfortunately, with the limited efficacy of the current typhoid vaccinations and the increase in multidrug-resistant strains, cases among travelers are expected to continue to increase and become ever challenging to treat. ..
- Fireman E, Kramer M, Priel I, Lerman Y. Chronic beryllium disease among dental technicians in Israel. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2006;23:215-21 pubmed..Our findings emphasize the need for awareness of the medical community to detect occupation related diseases in this profession. ..
- Carter D, Maor Y, Bar Meir S, Avidan B. Prevalence and predictive signs for gastrointestinal lesions in premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. Dig Dis Sci. 2008;53:3138-44 pubmed publisher..Further endoscopic evaluation can be reserved for those women who are found to be negative in the initial evaluation, as well as in cases of failure of IDA remission after successful HP eradication. ..
- Berman T, Hochner Celnikier D, Calafat A, Needham L, Amitai Y, Wormser U, et al. Phthalate exposure among pregnant women in Jerusalem, Israel: results of a pilot study. Environ Int. 2009;35:353-7 pubmed publisher..Building materials used in old constructions may be a source of exposure to benzylbutyl phthalate, the parent compound of MBzP. Personal care products may be sources of exposure to diethyl phthalate, the parent compound of MEP. ..
- Simon Tuval T, Reuveni H, Greenberg Dotan S, Oksenberg A, Tal A, Tarasiuk A. Low socioeconomic status is a risk factor for CPAP acceptance among adult OSAS patients requiring treatment. Sleep. 2009;32:545-52 pubmed..CPAP support and patient education programs should be better tailored for low SES people in order to increase patient treatment initiation and adherence. ..
- Brammli Greenberg S, Waitzberg R, Medina Artom T, Adijes Toren A. Low-budget policy tool to empower Israeli insureds to demand their rights in the healthcare system. Health Policy. 2014;118:279-84 pubmed publisher..This policy instrument addresses market failures related to information asymmetry and can potentially improve competition among the HPs and within the VHI market. ..
- Dahan S, Shor D, Comaneshter D, Tekes Manova D, Shovman O, Amital H, et al. All disease begins in the gut: Celiac disease co-existence with SLE. Autoimmun Rev. 2016;15:848-53 pubmed publisher..Physicians should keep in mind that CD can be a tricky diagnosis in SLE patients, yet a treatable condition, probably more common in this population than we used to think. ..
- Marom T, Bobrow M, Eviatar E, Oron Y, Ovnat Tamir S. Adherence to acute otitis media diagnosis and treatment guidelines among Israeli otolaryngologists. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;95:63-68 pubmed publisher..Over-treatment with antibiotics and inaccurate dosing regimens are still common. Better implementation of the AOM guidelines among otolaryngologists should be performed in designated training platforms. ..
- El Houmami N, Bakour S, Bzdrenga J, Rathored J, Seligmann H, Robert C, et al. Isolation and characterization of Kingella negevensis sp. nov., a novel Kingella species detected in a healthy paediatric population. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2017;67:2370-2376 pubmed publisher..A novel species named Kingella negevensis sp. nov. is proposed, as most strains have been isolated in the Negev, a desert region of southern Israel. The type strain is Sch538T (=CCUG 69806T=CSUR P957). ..
- Ben Bassat I, Raanani P. Bracha Ramot (1927-2006). Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2007;39:135-9 pubmed
- Bahat H, Dinour D, Ganon L, Feldman L, Holtzman E, Goldman M. Non-urate transporter 1-related renal hypouricemia and acute renal failure in an Israeli-Arab family. Pediatr Nephrol. 2009;24:999-1003 pubmed publisher..A non-URAT1 genetic defect that causes decreased reabsorption or, more probably, increased secretion of uric acid, induces IRHU. Further studies are required in order to elucidate the genetic defect. ..
- Saidel Odes L, Almog Y. Near-drowning in the Dead Sea: a retrospective observational analysis of 69 patients. Isr Med Assoc J. 2003;5:856-8 pubmed..Near-drowning in the Dead Sea is a syndrome of severe electrolyte abnormalities and lung injury. Early treatment with forced diuresis and supportive care results in prompt recovery. ..
- Migirov L, Yakirevitch A, Henkin Y, Kaplan Neeman R, Kronenberg J. Acute otitis media and mastoiditis following cochlear implantation. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2006;70:899-903 pubmed
- Raats D, Halpern M. Oceanobacillus chironomi sp. nov., a halotolerant and facultatively alkaliphilic species isolated from a chironomid egg mass. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2007;57:255-9 pubmed..nov. is proposed. The type strain is T3944D(T) (=LMG 23627(T)=DSM 18262(T)). ..
- Kushnir D, Zusman S, Robinson P. Validation of a Hebrew version of the Oral Health Impact Profile 14. J Public Health Dent. 2004;64:71-5 pubmed..The Hebrew version of OHIP-14 presented acceptable validity and reliability. Further research is needed to assess the value of this measure in Israel. ..
- Tessler H, Gorodischer R, Press J, Bilenko N. Unrealistic concerns about fever in children: the influence of cultural-ethnic and sociodemographic factors. Isr Med Assoc J. 2008;10:346-9 pubmed..001). By multivariate analysis, only the cultural-ethnic origin correlated with fever phobia. A higher degree of fever phobia was found among parents belonging to the traditional Bedouin group as compared to western society parents. ..
- Gepner Y, Henkin Y, Schwarzfuchs D, Golan R, Durst R, Shelef I, et al. Differential Effect of Initiating Moderate Red Wine Consumption on 24-h Blood Pressure by Alcohol Dehydrogenase Genotypes: Randomized Trial in Type 2 Diabetes. Am J Hypertens. 2016;29:476-83 pubmed publisher..Yet, a modest temporal BP reduction could be documented, and a more pronounced BP-lowering effect is suggested among fast ethanol metabolizers. ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00784433. ..
- Yeruham I, Perl S, Elad D. Infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis and lymphofollicular hyperplasia of the third eyelid in heifers. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 2001;48:137-41 pubmed..Moraxella bovis and N. ovis were the most common isolates. Hyperplasia of the lymphatic tissue of the third eyelid in the form of nodules 7-8 mm in diameter was diagnosed in two heifers aged 8 and 10 months...