Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on iron sulfur proteins in Germany
Topic: iron sulfur proteins
Publications102 found, 100 shown here
- Hedderich R, Koch J, Linder D, Thauer R. The heterodisulfide reductase from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum contains sequence motifs characteristic of pyridine-nucleotide-dependent thioredoxin reductases. Eur J Biochem. 1994;225:253-61 pubmed..46 kDa) did not show sequence similarity to other known proteins, but appears to possess a C-terminal hydrophobic alpha-helix that might function as a membrane anchor. Although hdrB and hdrC are juxtaposed, these genes are not near hdrA...
- Tocilescu M, Fendel U, Zwicker K, Kerscher S, Brandt U. Exploring the ubiquinone binding cavity of respiratory complex I. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:29514-20 pubmed..Finally, we were able to highlight a functionally critical structural motif in the active site that consisted of Tyr-144 in the 49-kDa subunit, surrounded by three conserved hydrophobic residues. ..
- Kamps A, Achebach S, Fedtke I, Unden G, Götz F. Staphylococcal NreB: an O(2)-sensing histidine protein kinase with an O(2)-labile iron-sulphur cluster of the FNR type. Mol Microbiol. 2004;52:713-23 pubmed..Unlike FNR, NreB does not act directly as transcriptional activator, but transfers the phosphoryl group to the response regulator NreC. ..
- Klingen A, Ullmann G. Negatively charged residues and hydrogen bonds tune the ligand histidine pKa values of Rieske iron-sulfur proteins. Biochemistry. 2004;43:12383-9 pubmed..Interestingly, the shift caused by neutralizing the negative charges in ferredoxin Rieske proteins is larger than the shift caused by removing the hydrogen bonds toward the cluster in bc-type Rieske proteins. ..
- Netz D, Pierik A, Stümpfig M, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. The Cfd1-Nbp35 complex acts as a scaffold for iron-sulfur protein assembly in the yeast cytosol. Nat Chem Biol. 2007;3:278-86 pubmed..Our data suggest that the Cfd1-Nbp35 complex functions as a novel scaffold for [Fe-S] cluster assembly in the eukaryotic cytosol. ..
- Srinivasan V, Netz D, Webert H, Mascarenhas J, Pierik A, Michel H, et al. Structure of the yeast WD40 domain protein Cia1, a component acting late in iron-sulfur protein biogenesis. Structure. 2007;15:1246-57 pubmed..We show that Ciao1 can functionally replace Cia1 and support cytosolic Fe/S protein biogenesis. Hence, our structural and biochemical studies indicate the conservation of Cia1 function in eukaryotes. ..
- ..The importance of Fe-S proteins for life is documented by an increasing number of diseases linked to these components and their biogenesis. ..
- Drapal N, Sawers G. Purification of ArcA and analysis of its specific interaction with the pfl promoter-regulatory region. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:597-607 pubmed..These results are congruent with the hypothesis that a higher-order nucleoprotein complex comprising several proteins, including ArcA, is required to activate transcription from the multiple promoters of the pfl operon. ..
- Kispal G, Csere P, Prohl C, Lill R. The mitochondrial proteins Atm1p and Nfs1p are essential for biogenesis of cytosolic Fe/S proteins. EMBO J. 1999;18:3981-9 pubmed..Assembly of cellular Fe/S clusters constitutes an indispensable biosynthetic task of mitochondria with potential relevance for an iron-storage disease and the control of cellular iron uptake...
- Duin E, Bauer C, Jaun B, Hedderich R. Coenzyme M binds to a [4Fe-4S] cluster in the active site of heterodisulfide reductase as deduced from EPR studies with the [33S]coenzyme M-treated enzyme. FEBS Lett. 2003;538:81-4 pubmed..The results provide compelling evidence for a direct binding of CoM-SH to the [4Fe-4S] cluster in the active site of the enzyme. ..
- Hedderich R, Hamann N, Bennati M. Heterodisulfide reductase from methanogenic archaea: a new catalytic role for an iron-sulfur cluster. Biol Chem. 2005;386:961-70 pubmed..The formal thiyl radical generated by the initial one-electron reduction of the disulfide is stabilized via reduction and coordination of the resultant thiol to the [4Fe-4S] cluster. ..
- Reents H, Münch R, Dammeyer T, Jahn D, Härtig E. The Fnr regulon of Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:1103-12 pubmed..A regulatory model for the observed complex Fnr-mediated gene expression was deduced. ..
- Dilg A, Grantner K, Iakovleva O, Parak F, Babini E, Bertini I, et al. Dynamics of wild-type HiPIPs: a Cys77Ser mutant and a partially unfolded HiPIP. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2002;7:691-703 pubmed..With this interpretation, the energetic difference between both isomers equals the energy gap estimated from the temperature dependence of the Orbach relaxation...
- Pieck J, Hennecke U, Pierik A, Friedel M, Carell T. Characterization of a new thermophilic spore photoproduct lyase from Geobacillus stearothermophilus (SplG) with defined lesion containing DNA substrates. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36317-26 pubmed..In addition to repair, we observed cleavage of AdoMet to generate 5'-deoxyadenosine. In the presence of aza-AdoMet the SplG is completely inhibited, which provides direct support for the repair mechanism. ..
- Lill R, Muhlenhoff U. Maturation of iron-sulfur proteins in eukaryotes: mechanisms, connected processes, and diseases. Annu Rev Biochem. 2008;77:669-700 pubmed publisher..Numerous diseases including several neurodegenerative and hematological disorders have been associated with defects in Fe/S protein biogenesis, underlining the central importance of this process for life. ..
- Dorn K, Willmund F, Schwarz C, Henselmann C, Pohl T, Hess B, et al. Chloroplast DnaJ-like proteins 3 and 4 (CDJ3/4) from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii contain redox-active Fe-S clusters and interact with stromal HSP70B. Biochem J. 2010;427:205-15 pubmed publisher..550-2800 kDa, which appeared to contain RNA. We speculate that the CDJ3-5 proteins might represent redox switches that act by recruiting HSP70B for the reorganization of regulatory protein complexes...
- Haunhorst P, Berndt C, Eitner S, Godoy J, Lillig C. Characterization of the human monothiol glutaredoxin 3 (PICOT) as iron-sulfur protein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;394:372-6 pubmed publisher..This redox-induced dissociation of the Grx3/PICOT holo complex may be a mechanism of Grx3/PICOT activation in response to reactive oxygen and nitrogen species. ..
- Hoffmann T, Frankenberg N, Marino M, Jahn D. Ammonification in Bacillus subtilis utilizing dissimilatory nitrite reductase is dependent on resDE. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:186-9 pubmed..Mutation of the gene encoding the regulatory Fnr had no negative effect on dissimilatory nitrite reductase formation. ..
- Schneider D, Skrzypczak S, Anemüller S, Schmidt C, Seidler A, Rögner M. Heterogeneous Rieske proteins in the cytochrome b6f complex of Synechocystis PCC6803?. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10949-54 pubmed..The considerably lower redox potential determined for PetC3 indicates heterogeneous cytochrome b(6)f complexes in Synechocystis and suggests still to be established alternative electron transport routes. ..
- Balk J, Pierik A, Netz D, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. The hydrogenase-like Nar1p is essential for maturation of cytosolic and nuclear iron-sulphur proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:2105-15 pubmed..In conclusion, Nar1p represents a crucial, novel component of the emerging cytosolic Fe/S protein assembly machinery that catalyses an essential and ancient process in eukaryotes. ..
- Pohl T, Bauer T, Dörner K, Stolpe S, Sell P, Zocher G, et al. Iron-sulfur cluster N7 of the NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) is essential for stability but not involved in electron transfer. Biochemistry. 2007;46:6588-96 pubmed..Cluster N7 was detectable in the latter mutants but with shifted g-values, indicating a different ligation of N7. Thus, N7 is essential for the stability of the complex but is not involved in electron transfer. ..
- Albrecht A, Netz D, Miethke M, Pierik A, Burghaus O, Peuckert F, et al. SufU is an essential iron-sulfur cluster scaffold protein in Bacillus subtilis. J Bacteriol. 2010;192:1643-51 pubmed publisher..SufS-dependent formation of holo-SufU suggests that SufU functions as an Fe/S cluster scaffold protein tightly cooperating with the SufS cysteine desulfurase. ..
- Bennati M, Weiden N, Dinse K, Hedderich R. (57)Fe ENDOR spectroscopy on the iron-sulfur cluster involved in substrate reduction of heterodisulfide reductase. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:8378-9 pubmed..We find direct evidence for a [4Fe-4S]3+ cluster, and we determine the sign of the 57Fe hyperfine couplings. The 57Fe isotropic hfc values suggest a complex interaction between the cluster and the CoM-SH substrate. ..
- Kamlowski A, van der Est A, Fromme P, Krauss N, Schubert W, Klukas O, et al. The structural organization of the PsaC protein in Photosystem I from single crystal EPR and X-ray crystallographic studies. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1319:199-213 pubmed..Arguments both for and against FA being the distal iron-sulfur center (to FX) are discussed...
- Wollenberg M, Berndt C, Bill E, Schwenn J, Seidler A. A dimer of the FeS cluster biosynthesis protein IscA from cyanobacteria binds a [2Fe2S] cluster between two protomers and transfers it to [2Fe2S] and [4Fe4S] apo proteins. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1662-71 pubmed..This demonstrates that it is possible to build [4Fe4S] clusters from [2Fe2S] units. ..
- Maly T, MacMillan F, Zwicker K, Kashani Poor N, Brandt U, Prisner T. Relaxation filtered hyperfine (REFINE) spectroscopy: a novel tool for studying overlapping biological electron paramagnetic resonance signals applied to mitochondrial complex I. Biochemistry. 2004;43:3969-78 pubmed..Finally, REFINE is used to assign the observed nitrogen modulation in complex I to an individual iron-sulfur cluster. ..
- Silakov A, Kamp C, Reijerse E, Happe T, Lubitz W. Spectroelectrochemical characterization of the active site of the [FeFe] hydrogenase HydA1 from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Biochemistry. 2009;48:7780-6 pubmed publisher..The removal of the bridging CO moiety has been observed in the H(red) to H(sred) transition. The significance of this result for the hydrogen conversion mechanism of this class of enzymes is discussed...
- Bongaerts J, Zoske S, Weidner U, Unden G. Transcriptional regulation of the proton translocating NADH dehydrogenase genes (nuoA-N) of Escherichia coli by electron acceptors, electron donors and gene regulators. Mol Microbiol. 1995;16:521-34 pubmed..A physiological role for the transcriptional stimulation by O2 and nitrate is suggested. ..
- Schlenzka W, Shaw L, Kelm S, Schmidt C, Bill E, Trautwein A, et al. CMP-N-acetylneuraminic acid hydroxylase: the first cytosolic Rieske iron-sulphur protein to be described in Eukarya. FEBS Lett. 1996;385:197-200 pubmed..Furthermore, possible binding sites for cytochrome b5, the substrate CMP-Neu5Ac and a mononuclear iron centre were also identified. ..
- Balk J, Aguilar Netz D, Tepper K, Pierik A, Lill R. The essential WD40 protein Cia1 is involved in a late step of cytosolic and nuclear iron-sulfur protein assembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10833-41 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that Cia1 is a new member of the cytosolic Fe/S protein assembly (CIA) machinery participating in a step after Nbp35 and Nar1. ..
- Hippler B, Thauer R. The energy conserving methyltetrahydromethanopterin:coenzyme M methyltransferase complex from methanogenic archaea: function of the subunit MtrH. FEBS Lett. 1999;449:165-8 pubmed..Sequence comparison revealed similarity of MtrH with MetH from Escherichia coli and AcsE from Clostridium thermoaceticum: both enzymes exhibit methyltetrahydrofolate:cob(I)alamin methyltransferase activity...
- Tran Q, Arras T, Becker S, Holighaus G, Ohlberger G, Unden G. Role of glutathione in the formation of the active form of the oxygen sensor FNR ([4Fe-4S].FNR) and in the control of FNR function. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:4817-24 pubmed..FNR in vitro suggest an important role for glutathione in the de novo assembly of FNR and in the reductive activation of air-oxidized FNR under anaerobic conditions. ..
- Hellwig P, Scheide D, Bungert S, Mäntele W, Friedrich T. FT-IR spectroscopic characterization of NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) from Escherichia coli: oxidation of FeS cluster N2 is coupled with the protonation of an aspartate or glutamate side chain. Biochemistry. 2000;39:10884-91 pubmed..Part of these signals are attributed to the reorganization of protonated/deprotonated Asp or Glu side chains. On the basis of these data we discuss the role of N2 for proton translocation of complex I. ..
- Boll M, Fuchs G, Lowe D. Single turnover EPR studies of benzoyl-CoA reductase. Biochemistry. 2001;40:7612-20 pubmed..033 and by an unusually fast relaxation rate, suggesting an interaction of these paramagnetic species with [4Fe-4S](+1) clusters. On the basis of these results, we present a proposal for a catalytic cycle involving radical species...
- Muhlenhoff U, Richhardt N, Gerber J, Lill R. Characterization of iron-sulfur protein assembly in isolated mitochondria. A requirement for ATP, NADH, and reduced iron. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:29810-6 pubmed..Our results represent the first in vitro reconstitution of the entire pathway of Fe/S protein maturation. ..
- Kipping M, Lilie H, Lindenstrauss U, Andreesen J, Griesinger C, Carlomagno T, et al. Structural studies on a twin-arginine signal sequence. FEBS Lett. 2003;550:18-22 pubmed..We conclude that the conserved twin-arginine motif does not form a structure by itself or as a result of intramolecular interactions...
- Boll M, Schink B, Messerschmidt A, Kroneck P. Novel bacterial molybdenum and tungsten enzymes: three-dimensional structure, spectroscopy, and reaction mechanism. Biol Chem. 2005;386:999-1006 pubmed
- Zwicker K, Galkin A, Dröse S, Grgic L, Kerscher S, Brandt U. The Redox-Bohr group associated with iron-sulfur cluster N2 of complex I. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:23013-7 pubmed..This finding has significant implications on the discussion about possible proton pumping mechanism for complex I. ..
- Korbas M, Vogt S, Meyer Klaucke W, Bill E, Lyon E, Thauer R, et al. The iron-sulfur cluster-free hydrogenase (Hmd) is a metalloenzyme with a novel iron binding motif. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:30804-13 pubmed
- Hiromoto T, Ataka K, Pilak O, Vogt S, Stagni M, Meyer Klaucke W, et al. The crystal structure of C176A mutated [Fe]-hydrogenase suggests an acyl-iron ligation in the active site iron complex. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:585-90 pubmed publisher..This result led to a re-interpretation of the iron ligation in the wild-type. ..
- Sawers R. Identification and molecular characterization of a transcriptional regulator from Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 exhibiting structural and functional similarity to the FNR protein of Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 1991;5:1469-81 pubmed..These results imply that the mechanisms by which ANR and FNR regulate transcription are fundamentally similar. ..
- Hochheimer A, Schmitz R, Thauer R, Hedderich R. The tungsten formylmethanofuran dehydrogenase from Methanobacterium thermoautotrophicum contains sequence motifs characteristic for enzymes containing molybdopterin dinucleotide. Eur J Biochem. 1995;234:910-20 pubmed..The fwd operon was found to be located in a region of the M. thermoautotrophicum genome encoding molybdenum enzymes and proteins involved in molybdopterin biosynthesis...
- Iwata S, Saynovits M, Link T, Michel H. Structure of a water soluble fragment of the 'Rieske' iron-sulfur protein of the bovine heart mitochondrial cytochrome bc1 complex determined by MAD phasing at 1.5 A resolution. Structure. 1996;4:567-79 pubmed
- Becker S, Holighaus G, Gabrielczyk T, Unden G. O2 as the regulatory signal for FNR-dependent gene regulation in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:4515-21 pubmed..Non-redox-active, structural O2 analogs like CO, CN-, and N3-, could not mimic the effect of O2 on FNR-regulated genes under anaerobic conditions and did not decrease the inhibitory effect of O2 under aerobic conditions. ..
- Schmidt C, Hatzfeld O, Petersen A, Link T, Sch fer G. Expression of the Solfolobus acidocaldarius Rieske iron sulfur protein II (SOXF) with the correctly inserted [2FE-2S] cluster in Escherichia coli. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;234:283-7 pubmed publisher..The presented data demonstrate that the structure of the recombinant protein is very similar or identical to the authentic protein making this a powerful model system for the studies of Rieske proteins by site directed mutagenesis...
- Pelzer W, Muhlenhoff U, Diekert K, Siegmund K, Kispal G, Lill R. Mitochondrial Isa2p plays a crucial role in the maturation of cellular iron-sulfur proteins. FEBS Lett. 2000;476:134-9 pubmed..Thus, Isa2p is a new member of the Fe/S cluster biosynthesis machinery of the mitochondrial matrix and may be involved in the binding of an intermediate of Fe/S cluster assembly. ..
- Huynen M, Snel B, Bork P, Gibson T. The phylogenetic distribution of frataxin indicates a role in iron-sulfur cluster protein assembly. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:2463-8 pubmed..They indicate that frataxin is specifically involved in the same sub-process as HSP20/Jac1p. ..
- Matzanke B, Anemüller S, Schünemann V, Trautwein A, Hantke K. FhuF, part of a siderophore-reductase system. Biochemistry. 2004;43:1386-92 pubmed..This is the first report on a bacterial siderophore-iron reductase which in vivo seems to be specific for a certain group of hydroxamates. ..
- Grawert T, Kaiser J, Zepeck F, Laupitz R, Hecht S, Amslinger S, et al. IspH protein of Escherichia coli: studies on iron-sulfur cluster implementation and catalysis. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:12847-55 pubmed..Replacement of any of the conserved cysteine residues reduced the catalytic activity by a factor of more than 70 000. ..
- Forzi L, Koch J, Guss A, Radosevich C, Metcalf W, Hedderich R. Assignment of the [4Fe-4S] clusters of Ech hydrogenase from Methanosarcina barkeri to individual subunits via the characterization of site-directed mutants. FEBS J. 2005;272:4741-53 pubmed..The pH-dependence of these two [4Fe-4S] clusters suggests that they simultaneously mediate electron and proton transfer and thus could be an essential part of the proton-translocating machinery...
- Adam A, Bornhovd C, Prokisch H, Neupert W, Hell K. The Nfs1 interacting protein Isd11 has an essential role in Fe/S cluster biogenesis in mitochondria. EMBO J. 2006;25:174-83 pubmed..In the absence of Isd11, Nfs1 is prone to aggregation. We propose that Isd11 acts together with Nfs1 in an early step in the biogenesis of Fe/S proteins. ..
- Schiffer A, Fritz G, Kroneck P, Ermler U. Reaction mechanism of the iron-sulfur flavoenzyme adenosine-5'-phosphosulfate reductase based on the structural characterization of different enzymatic states. Biochemistry. 2006;45:2960-7 pubmed publisher..This structure documents how adjacent negative charges are stabilized by the protein matrix which is crucial for forming APS from AMP and sulfite in the reverse reaction...
- Pilak O, Mamat B, Vogt S, Hagemeier C, Thauer R, Shima S, et al. The crystal structure of the apoenzyme of the iron-sulphur cluster-free hydrogenase. J Mol Biol. 2006;358:798-809 pubmed publisher..Adjacent to the iron of the cofactor modelled as a ligand to Cys176, an extended U-shaped extra electron density, interpreted as a polyethyleneglycol fragment, suggests a binding site for the substrate methenyltetrahydromethanopterin...
- Biederbick A, Stehling O, Rösser R, Niggemeyer B, Nakai Y, Elsässer H, et al. Role of human mitochondrial Nfs1 in cytosolic iron-sulfur protein biogenesis and iron regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5675-87 pubmed..The results have implications for the regulation of iron homeostasis by cytosolic iron regulatory protein 1. ..
- Sheftel A, Stehling O, Pierik A, Elsässer H, Muhlenhoff U, Webert H, et al. Humans possess two mitochondrial ferredoxins, Fdx1 and Fdx2, with distinct roles in steroidogenesis, heme, and Fe/S cluster biosynthesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:11775-80 pubmed publisher..We conclude that mammals depend on two distinct mitochondrial ferredoxins for the specific production of either steroid hormones or heme A and Fe/S proteins. ..
- K nkel A, Vaupel M, Heim S, Thauer R, Hedderich R. Heterodisulfide reductase from methanol-grown cells of Methanosarcina barkeri is not a flavoenzyme. Eur J Biochem. 1997;244:226-34 pubmed
- Kaiser M, Sawers G. Overlapping promoters modulate Fnr- and ArcA-dependent anaerobic transcriptional activation of the focApfl operon in Escherichia coli. Microbiology. 1997;143 ( Pt 3):775-83 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that the P6A promoter moderates the Fnr-dependent activation of P6 through competition for RNA polymerase binding. ..
- Brüser T, Deutzmann R, Dahl C. Evidence against the double-arginine motif as the only determinant for protein translocation by a novel Sec-independent pathway in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;164:329-36 pubmed..This indicates that additional determinants are required for translocation by the Sec-independent pathway. ..
- Friedrich C, Quentmeier A, Bardischewsky F, Rother D, Kraft R, Kostka S, et al. Novel genes coding for lithotrophic sulfur oxidation of Paracoccus pantotrophus GB17. J Bacteriol. 2000;182:4677-87 pubmed..SoxYZ neither contains a metal nor a complex redox center, as proposed for proteins likely to be transported via the Tat system...
- Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. Biogenesis of iron-sulfur proteins in eukaryotes: a novel task of mitochondria that is inherited from bacteria. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1459:370-82 pubmed..This review summarizes recent developments in our understanding of the biogenesis of iron-sulfur proteins both within bacteria and eukaryotes. ..
- Unden G, Achebach S, Holighaus G, Tran H, Wackwitz B, Zeuner Y. Control of FNR function of Escherichia coli by O2 and reducing conditions. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2002;4:263-8 pubmed..According to this model the functional state of FNR is determined by a (rapid) inactivation of FNR by O2, and a slow (constant) reactivation with glutathione as the reducing agent...
- Benda R, Tse Sum Bui B, Schünemann V, Florentin D, Marquet A, Trautwein A. Iron-sulfur clusters of biotin synthase in vivo: a Mössbauer study. Biochemistry. 2002;41:15000-6 pubmed..Their presence in vivo is now another argument in favor of this mixed cluster form. ..
- Gerber J, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. An interaction between frataxin and Isu1/Nfs1 that is crucial for Fe/S cluster synthesis on Isu1. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:906-11 pubmed..The iron-dependent binding of Yfh1 to Isu1/Nfs1 suggests a role of frataxin/Yfh1 in iron loading of the Isu scaffold proteins. ..
- Muhlenhoff U, Gerber J, Richhardt N, Lill R. Components involved in assembly and dislocation of iron-sulfur clusters on the scaffold protein Isu1p. EMBO J. 2003;22:4815-25 pubmed..We propose a model that dissects Fe/S cluster biogenesis into two major steps and assigns its central components to one of these two steps. ..
- Körner H, Sofia H, Zumft W. Phylogeny of the bacterial superfamily of Crp-Fnr transcription regulators: exploiting the metabolic spectrum by controlling alternative gene programs. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2003;27:559-92 pubmed..The regulatory adaptability and structural flexibility represented in the Crp-Fnr scaffold has led to the evolution of an important group of physiologically versatile transcription factors. ..
- Gerber J, Neumann K, Prohl C, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. The yeast scaffold proteins Isu1p and Isu2p are required inside mitochondria for maturation of cytosolic Fe/S proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:4848-57 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that the Isu proteins need to be localized in mitochondria to fulfill their functional requirement in Fe/S protein maturation in the cytosol. ..
- Dahl C, Engels S, Pott Sperling A, Schulte A, Sander J, Lübbe Y, et al. Novel genes of the dsr gene cluster and evidence for close interaction of Dsr proteins during sulfur oxidation in the phototrophic sulfur bacterium Allochromatium vinosum. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:1392-404 pubmed
- Hausmann A, Aguilar Netz D, Balk J, Pierik A, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. The eukaryotic P loop NTPase Nbp35: an essential component of the cytosolic and nuclear iron-sulfur protein assembly machinery. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3266-71 pubmed..The findings provide strong evidence for the existence of a highly conserved and essential machinery dedicated to assembling cytosolic and nuclear Fe/S proteins. ..
- Achebach S, Selmer T, Unden G. Properties and significance of apoFNR as a second form of air-inactivated [4Fe-4S].FNR of Escherichia coli. FEBS J. 2005;272:4260-9 pubmed..ApoFNR, including the form with two disulfides, can be reconstituted to [4Fe-4S].FNR after disulfide reduction. The experiments suggest that apoFNR is a major form of FNR under oxic conditions. ..
- Kuhnke G, Neumann K, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. Stimulation of the ATPase activity of the yeast mitochondrial ABC transporter Atm1p by thiol compounds. Mol Membr Biol. 2006;23:173-84 pubmed..We speculate that the physiological substrate of Atm1p may contain multiple sulfhydryl groups in a peptidic environment...
- Bachmann J, Bauer B, Zwicker K, Ludwig B, Anderka O. The Rieske protein from Paracoccus denitrificans is inserted into the cytoplasmic membrane by the twin-arginine translocase. FEBS J. 2006;273:4817-30 pubmed..Mutation of an essential cofactor binding residue (C152S) decreases the ISP membrane levels, possibly indicating that cofactor insertion is a prerequisite for efficient translocation along the Tat pathway. ..
- Dobbek H, Gremer L, Meyer O, Huber R. Crystal structure and mechanism of CO dehydrogenase, a molybdo iron-sulfur flavoprotein containing S-selanylcysteine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:8884-9 pubmed..A mechanism based on a structure with the bound suicide-substrate cyanide is suggested and displays the necessity of S-selanylcysteine for the catalyzed reaction. ..
- Kaut A, Lange H, Diekert K, Kispal G, Lill R. Isa1p is a component of the mitochondrial machinery for maturation of cellular iron-sulfur proteins and requires conserved cysteine residues for function. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:15955-61 pubmed..Our findings suggest a function for Isa1p in the binding of iron or an intermediate of Fe/S cluster assembly. ..
- Kopriva S, Büchert T, Fritz G, Suter M, Benda R, Schünemann V, et al. The presence of an iron-sulfur cluster in adenosine 5'-phosphosulfate reductase separates organisms utilizing adenosine 5'-phosphosulfate and phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphosulfate for sulfate assimilation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21786-91 pubmed..We conclude, therefore, that the presence of an iron-sulfur cluster determines the APS specificity of the sulfate-reducing enzymes and thus separates the APS- and PAPS-dependent assimilatory sulfate reduction pathways. ..
- Baltes N, Hennig Pauka I, Jacobsen I, Gruber A, Gerlach G. Identification of dimethyl sulfoxide reductase in Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae and its role in infection. Infect Immun. 2003;71:6784-92 pubmed..A. pleuropneumoniae DeltadmsA was attenuated in acute disease, which suggests that genes involved in oxidative metabolism under anaerobic conditions might contribute significantly to A. pleuropneumoniae virulence...
- Hubmacher D, Matzanke B, Anemüller S. Effects of iron limitation on the respiratory chain and the membrane cytochrome pattern of the Euryarchaeon Halobacterium salinarum. Biol Chem. 2003;384:1565-73 pubmed..Taken together, our results strongly suggest for the first time an important role of iron supply for the bioenergetics of an Archaeon...
- Stehling O, Elsässer H, Brückel B, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. Iron-sulfur protein maturation in human cells: evidence for a function of frataxin. Hum Mol Genet. 2004;13:3007-15 pubmed..These results demonstrate (i) that frataxin is a component of the human Fe/S cluster assembly machinery and (ii) that it plays a role in the maturation of both mitochondrial and cytosolic Fe/S proteins. ..
- Uhlmann M, Friedrich T. EPR signals assigned to Fe/S cluster N1c of the Escherichia coli NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase (complex I) derive from cluster N1a. Biochemistry. 2005;44:1653-8 pubmed..Thus, there is no third binuclear iron-sulfur "N1c" in the E. coli complex I but an additional tetranuclear cluster that may be coined N7. ..
- Muhlenhoff U, Gerl M, Flauger B, Pirner H, Balser S, Richhardt N, et al. The ISC [corrected] proteins Isa1 and Isa2 are required for the function but not for the de novo synthesis of the Fe/S clusters of biotin synthase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2007;6:495-504 pubmed..Thus, the Isa proteins are crucial for the in vivo function of biotin synthase but not for the de novo synthesis of its Fe/S clusters. Our data demonstrate that the Isa proteins are essential for the catalytic activity of Bio2 in vivo. ..
- Neumann M, Leimkuhler S. Heavy metal ions inhibit molybdoenzyme activity by binding to the dithiolene moiety of molybdopterin in Escherichia coli. FEBS J. 2008;275:5678-89 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that the activity of molybdoenzymes, such as sulfite oxidase, is inhibited by high concentrations of heavy metals in the cell, which will help to further the understanding of metal toxicity in E. coli. ..
- Urzica E, Pierik A, Muhlenhoff U, Lill R. Crucial role of conserved cysteine residues in the assembly of two iron-sulfur clusters on the CIA protein Nar1. Biochemistry. 2009;48:4946-58 pubmed publisher..The vicinity of the two Fe/S centers suggests a close functional cooperation during cytosolic Fe/S protein maturation. ..
- Lindenstrauss U, Matos C, Graubner W, Robinson C, Brüser T. Malfolded recombinant Tat substrates are Tat-independently degraded in Escherichia coli. FEBS Lett. 2010;584:3644-8 pubmed publisher..Malfolded NrfC is degraded more quickly than the native protein, indicating that Tat-independent protease systems can recognize malfolded Tat substrates. ..
- Netz D, Stümpfig M, Dore C, Muhlenhoff U, Pierik A, Lill R. Tah18 transfers electrons to Dre2 in cytosolic iron-sulfur protein biogenesis. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:758-65 pubmed publisher..The pathway is conserved in eukaryotes, as human Ndor1-Ciapin1 proteins can functionally replace yeast Tah18-Dre2. ..
- Drapal N, Sawers G. Promoter 7 of the Escherichia coli pfl operon is a major determinant in the anaerobic regulation of expression by ArcA. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:5338-41 pubmed..In this study, we show that in its normal context the activity of P7 is constrained and that one important function of the promoter is to mediate controlled ArcA-dependent regulation of the operon. ..
- Janssen S, Sch fer G, Anem ller S, Moll R. A succinate dehydrogenase with novel structure and properties from the hyperthermophilic archaeon Sulfolobus acidocaldarius: genetic and biophysical characterization. J Bacteriol. 1997;179:5560-9 pubmed..acidocaldarius, possibly involving an electron transport pathway from the enzyme complex into the respiratory chain different from those for known SQRs and QFRs...
- Muller K, Matzanke B, Schunemann V, Trautwein A, Hantke K. FhuF, an iron-regulated protein of Escherichia coli with a new type of [2Fe-2S] center. Eur J Biochem. 1998;258:1001-8 pubmed..The phenotype of fhuF mutants and the structural features of the FhuF protein suggest that FhuF is involved in the reduction of ferric iron in cytoplasmic ferrioxamine B. ..
- Mander G, Pierik A, Huber H, Hedderich R. Two distinct heterodisulfide reductase-like enzymes in the sulfate-reducing archaeon Archaeoglobus profundus. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:1106-16 pubmed..The oxidized enzyme exhibited an unusual EPR spectrum with gxyz = 2.014, 1.939 and 1.895 similar to that observed for oxidized Hme and Hdr. Upon reduction with H2 this signal was no longer detectable...
- Lindenstrauss U, Brüser T. Conservation and variation between Rhodobacter capsulatus and Escherichia coli Tat systems. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:7807-14 pubmed..Although the general features of Tat substrates and translocons are similar between species, the data indicate that details in the targeting pathways can vary considerably. ..
- Gelling C, Dawes I, Richhardt N, Lill R, Muhlenhoff U. Mitochondrial Iba57p is required for Fe/S cluster formation on aconitase and activation of radical SAM enzymes. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1851-61 pubmed..In keeping with this idea, the human IBA57 homolog C1orf69 complements the iba57Delta growth defects, demonstrating its conserved function throughout the eukaryotic kingdom. ..
- Hans M, Buckel W, Bill E. Spectroscopic evidence for an all-ferrous [4Fe-4S]0 cluster in the superreduced activator of 2-hydroxyglutaryl-CoA dehydratase from Acidaminococcus fermentans. J Biol Inorg Chem. 2008;13:563-74 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless we discuss a common basic mechanism of the two diverse systems, which are so far the only described examples of the all-ferrous [4Fe-4S]0 cluster found in biology...