Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on iron in United States
Locale: United States
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Halbrooks P, Giannetti A, Klein J, Bjorkman P, Larouche J, Smith V, et al. Composition of pH-sensitive triad in C-lobe of human serum transferrin. Comparison to sequences of ovotransferrin and lactoferrin provides insight into functional differences in iron release. Biochemistry. 2005;44:15451-60 pubmed..The studies collectively highlight important features common to both the N- and C-lobes of TF and the critical role of the receptor in iron release. ..
- Jaisi D, Dong H, Liu C. Kinetic analysis of microbial reduction of Fe(III) in nontronite. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:2437-44 pubmed
- Brown K, Subramony C, May W, Megason G, Liu H, Bishop P, et al. Hepatic iron overload in children with sickle cell anemia on chronic transfusion therapy. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2009;31:309-12 pubmed publisher..5+/-4.0 mg/g) and biopsies without inflammation (19.9+/-2.5 mg/g; P=0.22). These findings show that transfusion volume provides more insight on hepatic iron overload than serum iron markers. ..
- Devireddy L, Hart D, Goetz D, Green M. A mammalian siderophore synthesized by an enzyme with a bacterial homolog involved in enterobactin production. Cell. 2010;141:1006-17 pubmed publisher..Siderophore-depleted mammalian cells and zebrafish embryos fail to synthesize heme, an iron-dependent mitochondrial process. Our results reveal features of intracellular iron homeostasis that are conserved from bacteria through humans. ..
- Gill B, Lyons T, Young S, Kump L, Knoll A, Saltzman M. Geochemical evidence for widespread euxinia in the later Cambrian ocean. Nature. 2011;469:80-3 pubmed publisher..Indeed, the environmental challenges presented by widespread anoxia may have been a prevalent if not dominant influence on animal evolution in Cambrian oceans. ..
- Datta S, Crosa J. Identification and characterization of a novel outer membrane protein receptor required for hemin utilization in Vibrio vulnificus. Biometals. 2012;25:275-83 pubmed publisher..The operon containing the hvtA gene is homologous to the operon in V. cholerae containing the hemin receptor gene hutR suggesting a vertical transmission of the hvtA cluster from V. cholerae to V. vulnificus. ..
- Wells R, Jones C, Xi Z, Speer A, Danilchanka O, Doornbos K, et al. Discovery of a siderophore export system essential for virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003120 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study identified the first components of novel siderophore export systems which are essential for virulence of Mtb...
- Elkins M, Earhart C. Nucleotide sequence and regulation of the Escherichia coli gene for ferrienterobactin transport protein FepB. J Bacteriol. 1989;171:5443-51 pubmed..Processing of proFepB remains unclear, but the appearance of the three smaller members of the FepB family required the action of leader peptidase and the presence of the entire fepB gene. ..
- Hamza I, Hassett R, O Brian M. Identification of a functional fur gene in Bradyrhizobium japonicum. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5843-6 pubmed..The B. japonicum Fur bound to a Fur box DNA element in vitro, and a fur mutant grown in iron-replete medium was derepressed for iron uptake activity. Thus, B. japonicum expresses at least two regulators of iron metabolism...
- Beard B, Johnson C, Cox L, Sun H, Nealson K, Aguilar C. Iron isotope biosignatures. Science. 1999;285:1889-92 pubmed..3 per mil. Therefore, the range in delta(56)Fe values of sedimentary rocks may reflect biogenic fractionation, and the isotopic composition of Fe may be used to trace the distribution of microorganisms in modern and ancient Earth...
- Maines M, Raju V, Panahian N. Spin trap (N-t-butyl-alpha-phenylnitrone)-mediated suprainduction of heme oxygenase-1 in kidney ischemia/reperfusion model: role of the oxygenase in protection against oxidative injury. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999;291:911-9 pubmed..We also suggest spin trap-mediated protection against ischemia/reperfusion injury is likely due to a sustained elevation of HO-1 gene expression by formation of stable radicals. ..
- Jensen K, Houtman C, Ryan Z, Hammel K. Pathways for extracellular Fenton chemistry in the brown rot basidiomycete Gloeophyllum trabeum. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001;67:2705-11 pubmed..Nevertheless, both hydroquinones probably contribute to the extracellular Fenton chemistry of G. trabeum, because 2,5-DMHQ by itself is an efficient reductant of 4,5-DMBQ. ..
- Levy M, Tsai Y, Reaume A, Bray T. Cellular response of antioxidant metalloproteins in Cu/Zn SOD transgenic mice exposed to hyperoxia. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;281:L172-82 pubmed
- Childs A, Phaneuf S, Dirks A, Phillips T, Leeuwenburgh C. Doxorubicin treatment in vivo causes cytochrome C release and cardiomyocyte apoptosis, as well as increased mitochondrial efficiency, superoxide dismutase activity, and Bcl-2:Bax ratio. Cancer Res. 2002;62:4592-8 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that doxorubicin induces oxidative stress and mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis, as well as adaptive responses by the mitochondria to protect cardiac myocytes in vivo. ..
- Cook J, Flowers C, Skikne B. The quantitative assessment of body iron. Blood. 2003;101:3359-64 pubmed..The method is useful clinically for monitoring iron status in those who are highly susceptible to iron deficiency. ..
- Price J, Barr E, Tirupati B, Bollinger J, Krebs C. The first direct characterization of a high-valent iron intermediate in the reaction of an alpha-ketoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase: a high-spin FeIV complex in taurine/alpha-ketoglutarate dioxygenase (TauD) from Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2003;42:7497-508 pubmed..The detection of this intermediate sets the stage for a more detailed dissection of the TauD reaction mechanism than has previously been reported for any other member of this important enzyme family. ..
- Kirby A, King N, Connell T. RhuR, an extracytoplasmic function sigma factor activator, is essential for heme-dependent expression of the outer membrane heme and hemoprotein receptor of Bordetella avium. Infect Immun. 2004;72:896-907 pubmed..A model is proposed in which RhuR is the functional bridge between BhuR and RhuI in a heme-dependent regulatory cascade...
- Balasubramanian R, Shen G, Bryant D, Golbeck J. Regulatory roles for IscA and SufA in iron homeostasis and redox stress responses in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. strain PCC 7002. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:3182-91 pubmed
- Mettert E, Outten F, Wanta B, Kiley P. The impact of O(2) on the Fe-S cluster biogenesis requirements of Escherichia coli FNR. J Mol Biol. 2008;384:798-811 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings indicate a major role for the Isc pathway in FNR Fe-S cluster biogenesis under both aerobic and anaerobic conditions. ..
- Gao J, Chen J, Kramer M, Tsukamoto H, Zhang A, Enns C. Interaction of the hereditary hemochromatosis protein HFE with transferrin receptor 2 is required for transferrin-induced hepcidin expression. Cell Metab. 2009;9:217-27 pubmed publisher..Since the HFE alpha3 domain interacts with TfR2, these results supported our finding that TfR2/HFE complex is required for transcriptional regulation of hepcidin by holo-Tf. ..
- Decker I, Ghosh S, Comhair S, Farha S, Tang W, Park M, et al. High levels of zinc-protoporphyrin identify iron metabolic abnormalities in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Clin Transl Sci. 2011;4:253-8 pubmed publisher..This suggests that altered iron homeostasis influences disease progression and demonstrates the importance of closely monitoring iron status in PAH patients. ..
- Lee S, Kim Y, Jeon U, Kim Y, Schjoerring J, An G. Activation of Rice nicotianamine synthase 2 (OsNAS2) enhances iron availability for biofortification. Mol Cells. 2012;33:269-75 pubmed publisher..Mice fed with OsNAS2-D1 seeds recovered more rapidly from anemia, indicating that bioavailable Fe contents were improved by this increase in OsNAS2 expression. ..
- McCarthy R, Kosman D. Mechanistic analysis of iron accumulation by endothelial cells of the BBB. Biometals. 2012;25:665-75 pubmed publisher..These results are the first to demonstrate multiple mechanism(s) of TBI and NTBI reduction and uptake by endothelial cells (EC) of the BBB. ..
- DeAndrade M, Johnson R, Unger E, Zhang L, van Groen T, Gamble K, et al. Motor restlessness, sleep disturbances, thermal sensory alterations and elevated serum iron levels in Btbd9 mutant mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:3984-92 pubmed publisher..Finally, our data argue for the utility of Btbd9 mutant mice to discover and screen novel therapeutics for RLS. ..
- Colomer Winter C, Gaca A, Lemos J. Association of Metal Homeostasis and (p)ppGpp Regulation in the Pathophysiology of Enterococcus faecalis. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..faecalis and beyond. ..
- Pesci E, Cottle D, Pickett C. Genetic, enzymatic, and pathogenic studies of the iron superoxide dismutase of Campylobacter jejuni. Infect Immun. 1994;62:2687-94 pubmed..Finally, the ability of the 81-176 sodB strain to survive INT407 cell invasion was found to be significantly decreased (12-fold) compared with that of the parent, suggesting a potential role for SodB in C. jejuni intracellular survival...
- Weinberg E. The role of iron in cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev. 1996;5:19-36 pubmed..Pharmaceutical methods for depriving neoplastic cells of iron are being developed in experimental and clinical protocols. ..
- Bergeron R, Xin M, Weimar W, Smith R, Wiegand J. Significance of asymmetric sites in choosing siderophores as deferration agents. J Med Chem. 2001;44:2469-78 pubmed..Thus, by altering the stereochemistry of certain microbial siderophores, it is possible to generate deferration agents that are still effective at clearing iron from animals, yet do not promote microbial growth. ..
- Mason A, He Q, Halbrooks P, Everse S, Gumerov D, Kaltashov I, et al. Differential effect of a his tag at the N- and C-termini: functional studies with recombinant human serum transferrin. Biochemistry. 2002;41:9448-54 pubmed..Thus, the presence of a His tag at either the N- or C-terminus of hTF-NG has no apparent effect on the ability of these hTF species to bind to transferrin receptors. ..
- Silaghi Dumitrescu R, Coulter E, Das A, Ljungdahl L, Jameson G, Huynh B, et al. A flavodiiron protein and high molecular weight rubredoxin from Moorella thermoacetica with nitric oxide reductase activity. Biochemistry. 2003;42:2806-15 pubmed..The accumulated results indicate that Hrb/FprA is fully capable of functioning in nitrosative stress protection in M. thermoacetica. ..
- Fach E, Kristovich R, Long J, Waldman W, Dutta P, Williams M. The effect of iron on the biological activities of erionite and mordenite. Environ Int. 2003;29:451-8 pubmed
- Jin S, Kurtz D, Liu Z, Rose J, Wang B. X-ray crystal structure of Desulfovibrio vulgaris rubrerythrin with zinc substituted into the [Fe(SCys)4] site and alternative diiron site structures. Biochemistry. 2004;43:3204-13 pubmed
- Varadharaj S, Watkins T, Cardounel A, Garcia J, Zweier J, Kuppusamy P, et al. Vitamin C-induced loss of redox-dependent viability in lung microvascular endothelial cells. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2005;7:287-300 pubmed..These results, for the first time in detail, established that vitamin C at pharmacological doses induced oxidative stress and loss of redox-dependent cell viability in microvascular ECs...
- Benson H, Boncompagni E, Guerinot M. An iron uptake operon required for proper nodule development in the Bradyrhizobium japonicum-soybean symbiosis. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2005;18:950-9 pubmed..As ferrichrome is a fungal siderophore not likely to be available in nodules, the symbiotic defect suggests that the fegAB operon is serving a different function in planta, possibly one involved in signaling between the two partners. ..
- Knutson M. Into the matrix: regulation of the iron regulatory hormone hepcidin by matriptase-2. Nutr Rev. 2009;67:284-8 pubmed publisher..As a novel suppressor of hepcidin expression, matriptase-2 emerges as a possible candidate for therapeutic interventions aimed at treating disorders of iron metabolism. ..
- Machida M, LONART G, Britten R. Low (60 cGy) doses of (56)Fe HZE-particle radiation lead to a persistent reduction in the glutamatergic readily releasable pool in rat hippocampal synaptosomes. Radiat Res. 2010;174:618-23 pubmed publisher..Whether the observed HZE-particle-induced change in glutamate transmission, which plays a critical role in learning and memory, is the cause of HZE-particle-induced neurocognitive impairment requires further investigation...
- Kruer M, Paisan Ruiz C, Boddaert N, Yoon M, Hama H, Gregory A, et al. Defective FA2H leads to a novel form of neurodegeneration with brain iron accumulation (NBIA). Ann Neurol. 2010;68:611-8 pubmed publisher..These findings link white matter degeneration and NBIA for the first time and implicate new signaling pathways in the genesis of NBIA. ..
- Saini A, Mapolelo D, Chahal H, Johnson M, Outten F. SufD and SufC ATPase activity are required for iron acquisition during in vivo Fe-S cluster formation on SufB. Biochemistry. 2010;49:9402-12 pubmed publisher..Finally, we demonstrate for the first time that the ATPase activity of SufC is necessary for in vivo iron acquisition during Fe-S cluster assembly. ..
- Wang S, Wu Y, Outten F. Fur and the novel regulator YqjI control transcription of the ferric reductase gene yqjH in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:563-74 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the YqjI protein controls expression of yqjH to help maintain iron homeostasis under conditions (such as elevated cellular nickel levels) that disrupt iron metabolism. ..
- Maxwell K, Kowdley K. Metals and the liver. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2012;28:217-22 pubmed publisher..Advancements in diagnosis of hemochromatosis and Wilson disease may lead to earlier diagnosis and treatment with resulting decrease in morbidity and mortality. ..
- Cliffe L, Hirsch G, Wang J, Ekanayake D, Bullard W, Hu M, et al. JBP1 and JBP2 proteins are Fe2+/2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenases regulating hydroxylation of thymidine residues in trypanosome DNA. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19886-95 pubmed publisher..The influence of environment upon J biosynthesis via oxygen-sensitive regulation of JBP1/2 has exciting implications for the regulation of gene expression and parasite adaptation to different host niches. ..
- Wang P, Lutton A, Olesik J, Vali H, Li X. A novel iron- and copper-binding protein in the Lyme disease spirochaete. Mol Microbiol. 2012;86:1441-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that an important function of BicA is to detoxify excess iron and copper the spirochaete may encounter during its natural life cycle through a tick vector and a vertebrate host...
- Rufer E, Tran T, Attridge M, Andrzejewski M, Flentke G, Smith S. Adequacy of maternal iron status protects against behavioral, neuroanatomical, and growth deficits in fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47499 pubmed publisher..These findings offer novel insights into how alcohol damages the developing brain. ..
- Anderson S, Nizzi C, Chang Y, Deck K, Schmidt P, Galy B, et al. The IRP1-HIF-2? axis coordinates iron and oxygen sensing with erythropoiesis and iron absorption. Cell Metab. 2013;17:282-90 pubmed publisher..These results uncover separable physiological roles of each IRP and identify IRP1 as a therapeutic target for manipulating HIF-2? action in hematologic, oncologic, and other disorders...
- Raterman E, Shapiro D, Stevens D, Schwartz K, Welch R. Genetic analysis of the role of yfiR in the ability of Escherichia coli CFT073 to control cellular cyclic dimeric GMP levels and to persist in the urinary tract. Infect Immun. 2013;81:3089-98 pubmed publisher..coli in the urinary tract and implicate the c-di-GMP regulatory system as an important factor in the persistence of uropathogenic E. coli in vivo. ..
- Sanvisens N, Romero A, Zhang C, Wu X, An X, Huang M, et al. Yeast Dun1 Kinase Regulates Ribonucleotide Reductase Small Subunit Localization in Response to Iron Deficiency. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:9807-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results reveal that, in response to iron starvation, Dun1 kinase phosphorylates Dif1 to stimulate Rnr2-Rnr4 relocalization to the cytoplasm and promote RNR function. ..
- Stockwell B, Friedmann Angeli J, Bayir H, Bush A, Conrad M, Dixon S, et al. Ferroptosis: A Regulated Cell Death Nexus Linking Metabolism, Redox Biology, and Disease. Cell. 2017;171:273-285 pubmed publisher..This Primer reviews the mechanisms underlying ferroptosis, highlights connections to other areas of biology and medicine, and recommends tools and guidelines for studying this emerging form of regulated cell death. ..
- Lovley D, Blunt Harris E. Role of humic-bound iron as an electron transfer agent in dissimilatory Fe(III) reduction. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1999;65:4252-4 pubmed..These results suggest that other electron-accepting moieties in humic substances, such as quinones, are the important electron-accepting and shuttling agents under Fe(III)-reducing conditions. ..
- Kuvibidila S, Velez M, Gardner R, Penugonda K, Chandra L, Yu L. Iron deficiency reduces serum and in vitro secretion of interleukin-4 in mice independent of altered spleen cell proliferation. Nutr Res. 2012;32:107-15 pubmed publisher..Iron repletion improved IL-4 measurements. Data suggest that iron deficiency has generalized negative effects on T-cell function. Unaltered plasma IgE may be due to other cytokines (ie, IL-13) that also modulate its secretion. ..
- Septer A, Lyell N, Stabb E. The iron-dependent regulator fur controls pheromone signaling systems and luminescence in the squid symbiont Vibrio fischeri ES114. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013;79:1826-34 pubmed publisher..These results reveal an intriguing regulatory link between low-iron conditions, which are often encountered in host tissues, and pheromone-dependent master regulators...
- Luo Y, McCullough L, Tzeng J, Darrah T, Vengosh A, Maguire R, et al. Maternal blood cadmium, lead and arsenic levels, nutrient combinations, and offspring birthweight. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:354 pubmed publisher..Larger longitudinal studies are required to confirm these findings. ..
- Radka C, Delucas L, Wilson L, Lawrenz M, Perry R, Aller S. Crystal structure of Yersinia pestis virulence factor YfeA reveals two polyspecific metal-binding sites. Acta Crystallogr D Struct Biol. 2017;73:557-572 pubmed publisher..Flexibility across YfeA crystal forms in three loops and a helix near the buried metal-binding site suggest that a structural rearrangement is required for metal loading and unloading. ..
- Stojiljkovic I, Hwa V, de Saint Martin L, O Gaora P, Nassif X, Heffron F, et al. The Neisseria meningitidis haemoglobin receptor: its role in iron utilization and virulence. Mol Microbiol. 1995;15:531-41 pubmed..coli hemA aroB mutant on haemin-supplemented plates. The N. meningitidis hmbR mutant was attenuated in an infant rat model for meningococcal infection, indicating that haemoglobin utilization is important for N. meningitidis virulence...
- Vokes S, Reeves S, Torres A, Payne S. The aerobactin iron transport system genes in Shigella flexneri are present within a pathogenicity island. Mol Microbiol. 1999;33:63-73 pubmed..flexneri and S. sonnei and in a different chromosomal location in S. boydii and some E. coli suggests that these virulence-enhancing genes are mobile, and they may constitute an island within an island in S. flexneri...
- Runyen Janecky L, Reeves S, Gonzales E, Payne S. Contribution of the Shigella flexneri Sit, Iuc, and Feo iron acquisition systems to iron acquisition in vitro and in cultured cells. Infect Immun. 2003;71:1919-28 pubmed..A strain carrying mutations in sitA, feoB, and iucD did not form plaques on Henle cell monolayers...
- Riggs Gelasco P, Price J, Guyer R, Brehm J, Barr E, Bollinger J, et al. EXAFS spectroscopic evidence for an Fe=O unit in the Fe(IV) intermediate observed during oxygen activation by taurine:alpha-ketoglutarate dioxygenase. J Am Chem Soc. 2004;126:8108-9 pubmed..The detection of this interaction strongly corroborates the hypothesis that the intermediate contains an Fe=O structural motif. ..
- Korendovych I, Kryatov S, Reiff W, Rybak Akimova E. Diiron(II) mu-aqua-mu-hydroxo model for non-heme iron sites in proteins. Inorg Chem. 2005;44:8656-8 pubmed..This observation is consistent with the inner-sphere mechanism of iron(II)-dioxygen association rather than the outer-sphere electron transfer. ..
- Demain A, Gerson D, Kole M, Fang A. The role of reduced iron powder in the fermentative production of tetanus toxin. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;73:55-9 pubmed..It thus appears that the traditional iron source, reduced iron powder, plays a double role in supporting tetanus toxin formation, i.e., releasing soluble sources of iron and providing an insoluble surface...
- Bailey L, McCoy J, Phillips G, Fox B. Structural consequences of effector protein complex formation in a diiron hydroxylase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19194-8 pubmed publisher..This description provides insight into the functional role of effector protein binding in all carboxylate-bridged diiron hydroxylases. ..
- Bailey L, Fox B. Crystallographic and catalytic studies of the peroxide-shunt reaction in a diiron hydroxylase. Biochemistry. 2009;48:8932-9 pubmed publisher..These results provide a new structural benchmark for how activated intermediates may be formed and dispatched during diiron hydroxylase catalysis...
- Weinberg E, Moon J. Malaria and iron: history and review. Drug Metab Rev. 2009;41:644-62 pubmed publisher..A novel approach to malarial chemotherapy might involve the sequential use of a member of each of the two categories. ..
- Balivada S, Rachakatla R, Wang H, Samarakoon T, Dani R, Pyle M, et al. A/C magnetic hyperthermia of melanoma mediated by iron(0)/iron oxide core/shell magnetic nanoparticles: a mouse study. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:119 pubmed publisher..There is renewed interest in magnetic hyperthermia as a treatment modality for cancer, especially when it is combined with other more traditional therapeutic approaches, such as the co-delivery of anticancer drugs or photodynamic therapy...
- Kon K, Kim J, Uchiyama A, Jaeschke H, Lemasters J. Lysosomal iron mobilization and induction of the mitochondrial permeability transition in acetaminophen-induced toxicity to mouse hepatocytes. Toxicol Sci. 2010;117:101-8 pubmed publisher..Disrupted lysosomes are the likely source of iron, and chelation of this iron decreases acetaminophen toxicity to hepatocytes. ..
- Qin G, Rivkin A, Lapidot S, Hu X, Preis I, Arinus S, et al. Recombinant exon-encoded resilins for elastomeric biomaterials. Biomaterials. 2011;32:9231-43 pubmed publisher..The citrate-modified photo-Fenton system may be suitable for in vivo applications of resilin biomaterials. ..
- Kiser P, Farquhar E, Shi W, Sui X, Chance M, Palczewski K. Structure of RPE65 isomerase in a lipidic matrix reveals roles for phospholipids and iron in catalysis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2747-56 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that the Lewis acidity of iron could be used to promote ester dissociation and generation of a carbocation intermediate required for retinoid isomerization...
- McCarthy R, Kosman D. Ferroportin and exocytoplasmic ferroxidase activity are required for brain microvascular endothelial cell iron efflux. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17932-40 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that iron efflux from hBMVEC Fpn requires the action of an exocytoplasmic ferroxidase, which can be either endogenous Hp or extracellular Cp. ..
- Gulec S, Collins J. Silencing the Menkes copper-transporting ATPase (Atp7a) gene in rat intestinal epithelial (IEC-6) cells increases iron flux via transcriptional induction of ferroportin 1 (Fpn1). J Nutr. 2014;144:12-9 pubmed publisher..Alterations in copper transport, trafficking, or distribution may underlie the increase in transepithelial iron flux noted when ATP7A activity is diminished. ..
- Velayudhan J, Karlinsey J, Frawley E, Becker L, Nartea M, Fang F. Distinct roles of the Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium CyaY and YggX proteins in the biosynthesis and repair of iron-sulfur clusters. Infect Immun. 2014;82:1390-401 pubmed publisher..Salmonella experiences oxidative and nitrosative stress within host phagocytes, and CyaY-dependent maintenance of labile iron-sulfur clusters appears to be important for Salmonella virulence. ..
- Collins J, Hua P, Lu Y, Ranganathan P. Alternative splicing of the Menkes copper Atpase (Atp7a) transcript in the rat intestinal epithelium. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;297:G695-707 pubmed publisher..We conclude that novel Atp7a protein variants may exist in rat and human intestinal epithelial cells, with different intracellular locations and potentially distinct physiological functions. ..
- Armstrong S, Francis C, McIntosh M. Molecular analysis of the Escherichia coli ferric enterobactin receptor FepA. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:14536-43 pubmed..The results presented in this study have identified key regions of FepA potentially involved in receptor function and demonstrate the presence of both shared and unique ligand-responsive domains. ..
- Mukhopadhyay C, Attieh Z, Fox P. Role of ceruloplasmin in cellular iron uptake. Science. 1998;279:714-7 pubmed..Thus, iron-deficient cells could increase Cp synthesis to maintain intracellular iron homeostasis, so that defects would lead to global accumulation of iron in tissues. ..
- Pullin M, Cabaniss S. Colorimetric flow-injection analysis of dissolved iron in high DOC waters. Water Res. 2001;35:363-72 pubmed..When used with samples at their ambient pH, the total dissolved iron method detects dissolved iron, but not colloidal iron (size fraction 0.05-0.45 micron). ..
- Kim H, Graham D. Effect of oxygen level on simultaneous nitrogenase and sMMO expression and activity in Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b and its sMMO(C) mutant, PP319: aerotolerant N2 fixation in PP319. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2001;201:133-8 pubmed..When O2 levels were high, only the 32-kDa form of the Fe protein was present in PP319, whereas neither form was detectable in the WT. Aerotolerant N2 fixation appears to be associated with the 32-kDa Fe protein in M. trichosporium OB3b...
- Park S, Gakh O, Mooney S, Isaya G. The ferroxidase activity of yeast frataxin. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:38589-95 pubmed..This combination induces oligomerization and mYfh1p-catalyzed Fe(II) oxidation, starting a process that ultimately leads to the sequestration of as many as 50 Fe(II)/subunit inside the multimer. ..
- Moe L, Hu Z, Deng D, Austin R, Groves J, Fox B. Remarkable aliphatic hydroxylation by the diiron enzyme toluene 4-monooxygenase in reactions with radical or cation diagnostic probes norcarane, 1,1-dimethylcyclopropane, and 1,1-diethylcyclopropane. Biochemistry. 2004;43:15688-701 pubmed..The results show a divergence of radical and cation pathways for T4moH-mediated hydroxylation that can be dissected by diagnostic substrate probe rearrangements and by changes in the source of oxygen used for substrate oxygenation...
- Vann K, Musson S, Townsend T. Factors affecting TCLP lead leachability from computer CPUs. Waste Manag. 2006;26:293-8 pubmed..Additional size reduction beyond that required by the TCLP did not result in additional lead leaching. As the volume of head space above the leaching solution increased, the concentration of lead measured increased as well. ..
- Chen X, Clark C. Modeling the effects of methanol on iron dechlorination of a complex chlorinated NAPL. J Hazard Mater. 2009;164:565-70 pubmed publisher..Overall, results indicated that dechlorination of complex chlorinated substances, such as toxaphene, by Fe(0) can be greatly dependent upon adsorption to the iron surface. ..
- Limphong P, McKinney R, Adams N, Bennett B, Makaroff C, Gunasekera T, et al. Human glyoxalase II contains an Fe(II)Zn(II) center but is active as a mononuclear Zn(II) enzyme. Biochemistry. 2009;48:5426-34 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies suggest that Glx2 contains a Fe(II)Zn(II) center in vivo but that the catalytic activity is due to Zn(II) in the Zn(1) site. ..
- Yukl E, de Vries S, Moenne Loccoz P. The millisecond intermediate in the reaction of nitric oxide with oxymyoglobin is an iron(III)--nitrato complex, not a peroxynitrite. J Am Chem Soc. 2009;131:7234-5 pubmed publisher..Greater time resolution techniques will be required to detect the putative iron(III) peroxynitrite complex. ..
- Li H, Gakh O, Smith D, Isaya G. Oligomeric yeast frataxin drives assembly of core machinery for mitochondrial iron-sulfur cluster synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:21971-80 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that iron-dependent oligomerization is a mechanism by which the iron donor promotes assembly of the core machinery for mitochondrial ISC synthesis. ..
- Chu H, Chiecko J, Punshon T, Lanzirotti A, Lahner B, Salt D, et al. Successful reproduction requires the function of Arabidopsis Yellow Stripe-Like1 and Yellow Stripe-Like3 metal-nicotianamine transporters in both vegetative and reproductive structures. Plant Physiol. 2010;154:197-210 pubmed publisher..In particular, neither AtYSL1 nor AtYSL2 is able to functionally complement the reproductive defects exhibited by ysl1ysl3 double mutant plants. ..
- Nwugo C, Gaddy J, Zimbler D, Actis L. Deciphering the iron response in Acinetobacter baumannii: A proteomics approach. J Proteomics. 2011;74:44-58 pubmed publisher..The iron-induced production of OmpA suggests this protein plays a role in iron metabolism as shown by the diminished ability of an isogenic OmpA deficient derivative to grow under iron-chelated conditions. ..
- Ziegler L, Terzulli A, Gaur R, McCarthy R, Kosman D. Functional characterization of the ferroxidase, permease high-affinity iron transport complex from Candida albicans. Mol Microbiol. 2011;81:473-85 pubmed publisher..albicans Fe-uptake proteins, we demonstrate that they support a mechanism of Fe-trafficking that involves channelling of the CaFet34-generated Fe³? directly to CaFtr1 for transport into the cytoplasm. ..
- Xu J, Hwang J, Lees H, Wohlgemuth S, Knutson M, Judge A, et al. Long-term perturbation of muscle iron homeostasis following hindlimb suspension in old rats is associated with high levels of oxidative stress and impaired recovery from atrophy. Exp Gerontol. 2012;47:100-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, advanced age is associated with disruption of muscle iron metabolism which is further perturbed by disuse and persists over a longer time period. ..
- Means R. Hepcidin and iron regulation in health and disease. Am J Med Sci. 2013;345:57-60 pubmed publisher..Future studies may identify roles for hepcidin or hepcidin-related molecules in diagnosis and therapy. ..
- Mast N, Zheng W, Stout C, Pikuleva I. Binding of a cyano- and fluoro-containing drug bicalutamide to cytochrome P450 46A1: unusual features and spectral response. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4613-24 pubmed publisher..We also observed that access to the P450 active site was affected by differential recognition of S versus R isomers at the CYP46A1 surface arising from BIC conformational polymorphism. ..
- Nam H, Wang C, Zhang L, Zhang W, Hojyo S, Fukada T, et al. ZIP14 and DMT1 in the liver, pancreas, and heart are differentially regulated by iron deficiency and overload: implications for tissue iron uptake in iron-related disorders. Haematologica. 2013;98:1049-57 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into the potential contributions of these transporters to tissue iron uptake during iron deficiency and overload. ..