Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on iron in Sweden
- Lindgren H, SjÃ¶stedt A. Gallium Potentiates the Antibacterial Effect of Gentamicin against Francisella tularensis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:288-95 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the data demonstrate that SCHU S4 is dependent on iron to minimize the effects of gentamicin and that gallium, by inhibiting the iron uptake, potentiates the bactericidal effect of gentamicin in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Barros M, Pinto E, Colepicolo P, Pedersen M. Astaxanthin and peridinin inhibit oxidative damage in Fe(2+)-loaded liposomes: scavenging oxyradicals or changing membrane permeability?. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;288:225-32 pubmed..On the other hand, the antioxidant activity of astaxanthin in iron-containing vesicles might be derived from its known rigidifying effect and the inherent scavenging ability. ..
- Crona M, Torrents E, Røhr A, Hofer A, Furrer E, Tomter A, et al. NrdH-redoxin protein mediates high enzyme activity in manganese-reconstituted ribonucleotide reductase from Bacillus anthracis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33053-60 pubmed publisher..anthracis. Whether the Fe-NrdF form only exists in vitro or whether the NrdF protein in B. anthracis is a true cambialistic enzyme that can work with either manganese or iron remains to be established. ..
- Tehranchi R, Invernizzi R, Grandien A, Zhivotovsky B, Fadeel B, Forsblom A, et al. Aberrant mitochondrial iron distribution and maturation arrest characterize early erythroid precursors in low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood. 2005;106:247-53 pubmed..In conclusion, aberrant MtF expression in RARS erythroblasts occurs at a very early stage of erythroid differentiation and is paralleled by an up-regulation of genes involved in this process. ..
- Liljelind I, Norberg C, Egelrud L, Westberg H, Eriksson K, Nylander French L. Dermal and inhalation exposure to methylene bisphenyl isocyanate (MDI) in iron foundry workers. Ann Occup Hyg. 2010;54:31-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, dermal exposure along with inhalation exposure to MDI should be measured in the occupational settings where MDI is present in order to shed light on their roles in the development of occupational isocyanate asthma. ..
- Hedengran K, Nelson D, Andersen M, Stender S, Szecsi P. Hepcidin levels are low during pregnancy and increase around delivery in women without iron deficiency - a prospective cohort study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016;29:1506-8 pubmed publisher..During pregnancy, in women with sufficient iron supplementation, hepcidin is low and does not reflect iron status. During delivery and the postpartum period, hepcidin functions as a marker of inflammation. ..
- Valegård K, Terwisscha van Scheltinga A, Dubus A, Ranghino G, Oster L, Hajdu J, et al. The structural basis of cephalosporin formation in a mononuclear ferrous enzyme. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:95-101 pubmed..Requisite groups of penicillin are within 1 A of the expected position of a ferryl oxygen in the enzyme-penicillin complex. ..
- Grey C, Adlercreutz P. Ability of antioxidants to prevent oxidative mutations in Salmonella typhimurium TA102. Mutat Res. 2003;527:27-36 pubmed..Protection against mutagenicity caused by tert-butyl hydroperoxide appears to occur mainly through the scavenging of alkoxyl and possibly of alkyl radicals. ..
- Olsson P, Hammer E, Wallander H, Pallon J. Phosphorus availability influences elemental uptake in the mycorrhizal fungus Glomus intraradices, as revealed by particle-induced X-ray emission analysis. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:4144-8 pubmed publisher..It is demonstrated that PIXE analysis is a powerful tool for quantitative analysis of elemental accumulation in fungal mycelia. ..
- Lewerin C, Jacobsson S, Lindstedt G, Nilsson Ehle H. Serum biomarkers for atrophic gastritis and antibodies against Helicobacter pylori in the elderly: Implications for vitamin B12, folic acid and iron status and response to oral vitamin therapy. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2008;43:1050-6 pubmed publisher..AG is correlated to HPAB and lower Hb. Elderly AG subjects respond at least as well as non-AG subjects to oral treatment with B-vitamins in the doses employed. ..
- Persson H, Vainikka L, Eriksson I, Wennerström U. TNF-?-stimulated macrophages protect A549 lung cells against iron and oxidation. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2013;65:81-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, the collective effect of TNF-? on co-cultured lung cells was mainly cytoprotective. ..
- Dzikaite V, Hultcrantz R, Melefors O. The regulatory effect of heme on erythroid aminolevulinate synthase in natural erythroid cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003;1630:19-24 pubmed..Heme formation seems to be more tightly controlled in the bone marrow (nucleated) cells in order to prevent oxidative cell damage, compared to more differentiated erythroid cells. ..
- Björ B, Burström L, Eriksson K, Jonsson H, Nathanaelsson L, Nilsson T. Mortality from myocardial infarction in relation to exposure to vibration and dust among a cohort of iron-ore miners in Sweden. Occup Environ Med. 2010;67:154-8 pubmed publisher..We found an association between increased mortality from MI and occupational exposure to WBV, and the risk remained after adjustment for dust exposure. ..
- deMaré F, Kurtz D, Nordlund P. The structure of Desulfovibrio vulgaris rubrerythrin reveals a unique combination of rubredoxin-like FeS4 and ferritin-like diiron domains. Nat Struct Biol. 1996;3:539-46 pubmed..The four-helix bundle of rubrerythrin closely resembles those of the ferritin and bacterioferritin subunits, suggesting a relationship among these proteins-consistent with the recently demonstrated ferroxidase activity of rubrerythrin. ..
- Schagerlöf U, Elmlund H, Gakh O, Nordlund G, Hebert H, Lindahl M, et al. Structural basis of the iron storage function of frataxin from single-particle reconstruction of the iron-loaded oligomer. Biochemistry. 2008;47:4948-54 pubmed publisher..These include the overall organization of the oligomers, the way they are stabilized, and the mechanisms of iron core nucleation. ..
- Lindgren H, Honn M, Salomonsson E, Kuoppa K, Forsberg A, Sjostedt A. Iron content differs between Francisella tularensis subspecies tularensis and subspecies holarctica strains and correlates to their susceptibility to H(2)O(2)-induced killing. Infect Immun. 2011;79:1218-24 pubmed publisher..This may be an important factor for the higher virulence of this subspecies of F. tularensis, as reactive oxygen species, such as H(2)O(2), are important bactericidal components during tularemia...
- Dopson M, Halinen A, Rahunen N, Ozkaya B, Sahinkaya E, Kaksonen A, et al. Mineral and iron oxidation at low temperatures by pure and mixed cultures of acidophilic microorganisms. Biotechnol Bioeng. 2007;97:1205-15 pubmed..Temperature gradient analysis of ferrous iron oxidation by this enrichment culture demonstrated two temperature optima for ferrous iron oxidation and that the mixed culture was capable of ferrous iron oxidation at 5 degrees C...
- Lundgren H, Bj rk G. Structural alterations of the cysteine desulfurase IscS of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium reveal substrate specificity of IscS in tRNA thiolation. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:3052-62 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that IscS has an intrinsic substrate specificity in how it mediates sulfur mobilization and/or iron-sulfur cluster formation and maintenance required for thiolation of tRNA...
- Lillig C, Berndt C, Vergnolle O, Lönn M, Hudemann C, Bill E, et al. Characterization of human glutaredoxin 2 as iron-sulfur protein: a possible role as redox sensor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8168-73 pubmed..We propose that the iron-sulfur cluster serves as a redox sensor for the activation of Grx2 during conditions of oxidative stress when free radicals are formed and the glutathione pool becomes oxidized. ..
- Fernandes A, Fladvad M, Berndt C, Andrésen C, Lillig C, Neubauer P, et al. A novel monothiol glutaredoxin (Grx4) from Escherichia coli can serve as a substrate for thioredoxin reductase. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:24544-52 pubmed..Grx4 was highly elevated upon iron depletion, suggesting an iron-related function for the protein. ..
- Karlberg T, Schagerlöf U, Gakh O, Park S, Ryde U, Lindahl M, et al. The structures of frataxin oligomers reveal the mechanism for the delivery and detoxification of iron. Structure. 2006;14:1535-46 pubmed..The data reveal how stepwise assembly provides frataxin with the structural flexibility to perform two functions: metal delivery and detoxification. ..
- Gullbo J, Fryknäs M, Rickardson L, Darcy P, Hägg M, Wickström M, et al. Phenotype-based drug screening in primary ovarian carcinoma cultures identifies intracellular iron depletion as a promising strategy for cancer treatment. Biochem Pharmacol. 2011;82:139-47 pubmed publisher..The results indicate the feasibility of using PCPTC for cancer drug screening and that intracellular iron depletion could be a potentially important strategy for cancer therapy. ..
- Pernestig A, Georgellis D, Romeo T, Suzuki K, Tomenius H, Normark S, et al. The Escherichia coli BarA-UvrY two-component system is needed for efficient switching between glycolytic and gluconeogenic carbon sources. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:843-53 pubmed..Taking these results together, we propose the BarA-UvrY two-component system is crucial for efficient adaptation between different metabolic pathways, an essential function for adaptation to a new environment...
- Högbom M, Huque Y, Sjoberg B, Nordlund P. Crystal structure of the di-iron/radical protein of ribonucleotide reductase from Corynebacterium ammoniagenes. Biochemistry. 2002;41:1381-9 pubmed..ammoniagenes R2 also reveals an additional water molecule bridging the radical and the iron site, which has not previously been seen in any other R2 structure and which might have important mechanistic implications. ..
- Högbom M, Nordlund P. A protein carboxylate coordinated oxo-centered tri-nuclear iron complex with possible implications for ferritin mineralization. FEBS Lett. 2004;567:179-82 pubmed..In addition, the structure adds to the very limited data on protein-mineral interfaces. ..
- H gbom M, Stenmark P, Voevodskaya N, McClarty G, Gr slund A, Nordlund P. The radical site in chlamydial ribonucleotide reductase defines a new R2 subclass. Science. 2004;305:245-8 pubmed publisher..The specific ligand pattern in the C. trachomatis R2 metal site characterizes a new group of R2 proteins that so far has been found in eight organisms, three of which are human pathogens...
- Kippler M, Lonnerdal B, Goessler W, Ekström E, Arifeen S, Vahter M. Cadmium interacts with the transport of essential micronutrients in the mammary gland - a study in rural Bangladeshi women. Toxicology. 2009;257:64-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the present study may indicate that cadmium shares common transporters with iron and manganese for transfer to breast milk, but inhibits secretion of calcium to breast milk. ..
- Logan D, deMaré F, Persson B, Slaby A, Sjoberg B, Nordlund P. Crystal structures of two self-hydroxylating ribonucleotide reductase protein R2 mutants: structural basis for the oxygen-insertion step of hydroxylation reactions catalyzed by diiron proteins. Biochemistry. 1998;37:10798-807 pubmed..A critical role for residue Glu238 in directing the oxidative power of the reactive intermediate toward oxidation of Tyr122 is proposed. ..
- Tidehag P, Hallmans G, Sjostrom R, Sunzel B, Wetter L, Wing K. The extent of coprophagy in rats with differing iron status and its effect on iron absorption. Lab Anim. 1988;22:313-9 pubmed..Thus comparisons of iron absorption from diets with and without bran should not be affected by coprophagy...
- Rzhepishevska O, Valdes J, Marcinkeviciene L, Gallardo C, Meskys R, Bonnefoy V, et al. Regulation of a novel Acidithiobacillus caldus gene cluster involved in metabolism of reduced inorganic sulfur compounds. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:7367-72 pubmed..A pyrrolo-quinoline quinone binding domain in TetH was predicted by bioinformatic analysis, and the presence of an o-quinone moiety was experimentally verified, suggesting a mechanism for tetrathionate oxidation...
- Hoppe M, Hulthen L. Capturing the onset of the common cold and its effects on iron absorption. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007;61:1032-4 pubmed..Interestingly, this observed succession is in conflict with the proposed infection chain of order in which IL-6 stimulates hepcidin induction...
- Söderberg C, Gillam M, Ahlgren E, Hunter G, Gakh O, Isaya G, et al. The Structure of the Complex between Yeast Frataxin and Ferrochelatase: CHARACTERIZATION AND PRE-STEADY STATE REACTION OF FERROUS IRON DELIVERY AND HEME SYNTHESIS. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:11887-98 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they support the proposal that frataxin-mediated delivery of this potentially toxic substrate overcomes formation of reactive oxygen species. ..
- Hylander L, Meili M, Oliveira L, De Castro e Silva E, Guimaraes J, Araujo D, et al. Relationship of mercury with aluminum, iron and manganese oxy-hydroxides in sediments from the Alto Pantanal, Brazil. Sci Total Environ. 2000;260:97-107 pubmed..This resulted in a mass ratio between Hg and amorphous oxy-hydroxides of only 5 x 10(-6) for Hg-tot/Fe-oxa (interquartile range 3-7 x 10(-6)...
- Wennman A, Jernerén F, Hamberg M, Oliw E. Catalytic convergence of manganese and iron lipoxygenases by replacement of a single amino acid. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:31757-65 pubmed publisher..Replacement of Phe(337) with Ile changed the stereospecific oxidation of 18:2n-6 and 18:3n-3 with formation of 13S-hydroperoxides by hydrogen abstraction and oxygenation in analogy with soybean LOX-1. ..
- Rentschler G, Covolo L, Haddad A, Lucchini R, Zoni S, Broberg K. ATP13A2 (PARK9) polymorphisms influence the neurotoxic effects of manganese. Neurotoxicology. 2012;33:697-702 pubmed publisher..029, p=0.041, respectively), also after adjustments for age and gender. The rs2871776 altered a binding site for transcription factor insulinoma-associated 1. ATP13A2 variation may be a risk marker for neurotoxic effects of Mn in humans. ..
- Ranatunga W, Gakh O, Galeano B, Smith D, SÃ¶derberg C, Al Karadaghi S, et al. Architecture of the Yeast Mitochondrial Iron-Sulfur Cluster Assembly Machinery: THE SUB-COMPLEX FORMED BY THE IRON DONOR, Yfh1 PROTEIN, AND THE SCAFFOLD, Isu1 PROTEIN. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10378-98 pubmed publisher..We suggest that this architecture is suitable to ensure concerted and protected transfer of potentially toxic iron and sulfur atoms to Isu1 during Fe-S cluster assembly. ..
- Berglund S, Westrup B, Domellöf M. Iron supplements reduce the risk of iron deficiency anemia in marginally low birth weight infants. Pediatrics. 2010;126:e874-83 pubmed publisher..Most LBW infants have marginally low birth weight (MLBW, 2000-2500 g) and it is not known whether they benefit from iron supplements. The objective of this trial was to study the effects of iron supplementation in MLBW infants...
- Karlberg T, Lecerof D, Gora M, Silvegren G, Labbe Bois R, Hansson M, et al. Metal binding to Saccharomyces cerevisiae ferrochelatase. Biochemistry. 2002;41:13499-506 pubmed..The latter site is also located at the surface of the molecule and thought to be involved in initial metal binding and regulation. ..
- Narváez A, Voevodskaya N, Thelander L, Gräslund A. The involvement of Arg265 of mouse ribonucleotide reductase R2 protein in proton transfer and catalysis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:26022-8 pubmed..Our results, supported by molecular modeling, strongly suggest that Arg265 is involved in the proton-coupled electron transfer pathway and may act as a proton mediator during catalysis. ..
- Lindgren H, Honn M, Golovlev I, Kadzhaev K, Conlan W, Sjostedt A. The 58-kilodalton major virulence factor of Francisella tularensis is required for efficient utilization of iron. Infect Immun. 2009;77:4429-36 pubmed publisher..tularensis to utilize iron bound to siderophores and that it likely has a role also in siderophore-independent iron acquisition. We suggest that the FTT0918 protein be designated Fe utilization protein A, FupA. ..
- Eneroth H, El Arifeen S, Persson L, Kabir I, Lonnerdal B, Hossain M, et al. Duration of exclusive breast-feeding and infant iron and zinc status in rural Bangladesh. J Nutr. 2009;139:1562-7 pubmed publisher..Regardless of EBF duration, the prevalence of zinc deficiency, iron deficiency, and anemia was high in infants in this population and strategies to prevent deficiency are needed. ..
- Hoppe M, Lonnerdal B, Hossain B, Olsson S, Nilsson F, Lundberg P, et al. Hepcidin, interleukin-6 and hematological iron markers in males before and after heart surgery. J Nutr Biochem. 2009;20:11-6 pubmed publisher..This speaks in favor of a chain of action where proteolytic trimming of serum prohepcidin results in increased serum hepcidin. However, hypoferremia appeared prior to the changes in serum prohepcidin and serum hepcidin. ..
- Engström P, Nguyen B, Normark J, Nilsson I, Bastidas R, Gylfe A, et al. Mutations in hemG mediate resistance to salicylidene acylhydrazides, demonstrating a novel link between protoporphyrinogen oxidase (HemG) and Chlamydia trachomatis infectivity. J Bacteriol. 2013;195:4221-30 pubmed publisher..trachomatis infectivity. ..
- Torrents E, Westman M, Sahlin M, Sj berg B. Ribonucleotide reductase modularity: Atypical duplication of the ATP-cone domain in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:25287-96 pubmed publisher..We suggest that protein modularity built on the common catalytic core of all RNRs plays an important role in class diversification within the RNR family...
- Lind M, Missirlis F, Melefors O, Uhrigshardt H, Kirby K, Phillips J, et al. Of two cytosolic aconitases expressed in Drosophila, only one functions as an iron-regulatory protein. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:18707-14 pubmed..Our data suggest that as a first step during the evolution of the IRP/IRE system, the ancient cytosolic aconitase was duplicated in insects with one variant acquiring IRE-specific binding. ..
- Sentman M, Granström M, Jakobson H, Reaume A, Basu S, Marklund S. Phenotypes of mice lacking extracellular superoxide dismutase and copper- and zinc-containing superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:6904-9 pubmed..In conclusion, apart from the increases in the global urinary and plasma oxidant stress markers, our phenotype studies revealed no other evidence that the copper- and zinc-containing SOD isoenzymes have overlapping roles. ..
- Ekberg M, Pötsch S, Sandin E, Thunnissen M, Nordlund P, Sahlin M, et al. Preserved catalytic activity in an engineered ribonucleotide reductase R2 protein with a nonphysiological radical transfer pathway. The importance of hydrogen bond connections between the participating residues. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:21003-8 pubmed..Our data thus strongly favor the idea that the electron transfer mechanism in RNR is coupled with proton transfer, i.e. a radical transfer mechanism. ..
- Liljeqvist M, Ossandon F, GonzÃ¡lez C, Rajan S, Stell A, Valdes J, et al. Metagenomic analysis reveals adaptations to a cold-adapted lifestyle in a low-temperature acid mine drainage stream. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2015;91: pubmed publisher..The study identified a low diversity of abundant microorganisms adapted to a low-temperature acidic environment as well as identifying some of the strategies the microorganisms employ to grow in this extreme environment. ..
- Chabes A, Domkin V, Larsson G, Liu A, Graslund A, Wijmenga S, et al. Yeast ribonucleotide reductase has a heterodimeric iron-radical-containing subunit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:2474-9 pubmed..Taken together, our results show that the Rnr2p/Rnr4p heterodimer is the active form of the yeast RNR small subunit. ..
- Stenmark P, Grunler J, Mattsson J, Sindelar P, Nordlund P, Berthold D. A new member of the family of di-iron carboxylate proteins. Coq7 (clk-1), a membrane-bound hydroxylase involved in ubiquinone biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:33297-300 pubmed..Based on the similarities to other well studied di-iron carboxylate proteins, we propose a structural model for Coq7 as an interfacial integral membrane protein. ..
- Ren Y, Martinez J, Virtanen A. Identification of the active site of poly(A)-specific ribonuclease by site-directed mutagenesis and Fe(2+)-mediated cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5982-7 pubmed
- Yu Z, Eaton J, Persson H. The radioprotective agent, amifostine, suppresses the reactivity of intralysosomal iron. Redox Rep. 2003;8:347-55 pubmed..These findings suggest a single and plausible explanation for the radioprotective effects of amifostine and may provide a basis for the design of even more effective radio- and chemoprotective drugs...
- Tiklová K, Senti K, Wang S, Gräslund A, Samakovlis C. Epithelial septate junction assembly relies on melanotransferrin iron binding and endocytosis in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1071-7 pubmed publisher..Mouse MTf complements the defects of Drosophila MTf mutants. Drosophila provides the first genetic model for the functional dissection of MTf in epithelial junction assembly and morphogenesis. ..
- Popovic Bijelic A, Voevodskaya N, Domkin V, Thelander L, Gräslund A. Metal binding and activity of ribonucleotide reductase protein R2 mutants: conditions for formation of the mixed manganese-iron cofactor. Biochemistry. 2009;48:6532-9 pubmed publisher..4% of native mouse RNR activity. The observation suggests that a manganese-iron cofactor is associated with the weak activity in this protein. ..
- Nilson K, Ahlund J, Brena B, Göthelid E, Schiessling J, Mårtensson N, et al. Scanning tunneling microscopy study of metal-free phthalocyanine monolayer structures on graphite. J Chem Phys. 2007;127:114702 pubmed..All STM measurements presented here have been performed at a sample temperature of 70 K. ..
- Trinchero P, Puigdomenech I, Molinero J, Ebrahimi H, Gylling B, Svensson U, et al. Continuum-based DFN-consistent numerical framework for the simulation of oxygen infiltration into fractured crystalline rocks. J Contam Hydrol. 2017;200:60-69 pubmed publisher..The results show that most of the chlorite becomes depleted in the highly conductive deformation zones where higher mineral surface areas are available for reactions. ..