Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ion channel gating in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: ion channel gating
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- Blount P, Schroeder M, Kung C. Mutations in a bacterial mechanosensitive channel change the cellular response to osmotic stress. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:32150-7 pubmed..These data are consistent with a crucial role for MscL in the adaptation to large osmotic downshock and suggest that if the normally tight regulation of MscL gating is disrupted, cell growth can be severely inhibited. ..
- Gordon S. "Light" reading: targeting tryptophans in cyclic nucleotide-gated channels. J Gen Physiol. 2000;116:223-5 pubmed
- Schwalbe R, Wingo C, Xia S. Mutations in the putative pore-forming segment favor short-lived wild-type Kir2.1 pore conformations. Biochemistry. 2002;41:12457-66 pubmed..Additionally, our results indicate that these mutants are correctly folded and thus further substantiate that the M1-M2 segment, including the G(Y/F)G sequence, is topologically extracellular. ..
- Obejero Paz C, Gray I, Jones S. Y3+ block demonstrates an intracellular activation gate for the alpha1G T-type Ca2+ channel. J Gen Physiol. 2004;124:631-40 pubmed..Since an extracellular blocker can rapidly enter the closed pore, the primary activation gate must be on the intracellular side of the selectivity filter. ..
- Few A, Lautermilch N, Westenbroek R, Scheuer T, Catterall W. Differential regulation of CaV2.1 channels by calcium-binding protein 1 and visinin-like protein-2 requires N-terminal myristoylation. J Neurosci. 2005;25:7071-80 pubmed..Differential, myristoylation-dependent regulation of presynaptic Ca2+ channels by nCaBPs may provide a flexible mechanism for diverse forms of short-term synaptic plasticity. ..
- Fang K, CSANADY L, Chan K. The N-terminal transmembrane domain (TMD0) and a cytosolic linker (L0) of sulphonylurea receptor define the unique intrinsic gating of KATP channels. J Physiol. 2006;576:379-89 pubmed..2. However, TMD0 and L0 are responsible for the different gating patterns of full-length SUR1 and SUR2A channels. A kinetic model with one open and four closed states is presented to explain our results in a mechanistic context. ..
- Forman S, Zhou Q, Stewart D. Photoactivated 3-azioctanol irreversibly desensitizes muscle nicotinic ACh receptors via interactions at alphaE262. Biochemistry. 2007;46:11911-8 pubmed..Occupation of this pocket by hydrophobic molecules stabilizes a desensitized state by slowing resensitization. ..
- Denlinger L, Shi L, Guadarrama A, Schell K, Green D, Morrin A, et al. Attenuated P2X7 pore function as a risk factor for virus-induced loss of asthma control. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:265-70 pubmed publisher..Using this assay as an epidemiologic tool, attenuated P2X(7) pore activity may be a novel biomarker of virus-induced loss of asthma control. ..
- Sobolevsky A, Rosconi M, Gouaux E. X-ray structure, symmetry and mechanism of an AMPA-subtype glutamate receptor. Nature. 2009;462:745-56 pubmed publisher..We exploit the GluA2 structure to develop mechanisms of ion channel activation, desensitization and inhibition by non-competitive antagonists and pore blockers. ..
- Fei G, RAEHAL K, Liu S, Qu M, Sun X, Wang G, et al. Lubiprostone reverses the inhibitory action of morphine on intestinal secretion in guinea pig and mouse. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;334:333-40 pubmed publisher..Lubiprostone, which does not directly affect enteric neurons, bypasses the neurogenic constipating effects of morphine by directly opening chloride channels in the mucosal epithelium...
- Mercado J, Gordon Shaag A, Zagotta W, Gordon S. Ca2+-dependent desensitization of TRPV2 channels is mediated by hydrolysis of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate. J Neurosci. 2010;30:13338-47 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the decrease in PIP(2) levels on channel activation underlies a major component of Ca(2+)-dependent desensitization of TRPV2 and may play a similar role in other TRP channels. ..
- Bae C, Markin V, Suchyna T, Sachs F. Modeling ion channels in the gigaseal. Biophys J. 2011;101:2645-51 pubmed publisher..The transition times of currents are slower due to membrane capacitance. If channel densities are uniform, patch currents are dominated by channels in the dome. ..
- Li P, Slaughter M. Gating effects on picrotin block of glycine receptors. Neuroreport. 2012;23:1017-20 pubmed publisher..The results indicated that ?2 subunits can determine the picrotin sensitivity of ?1?2-heteromeric receptors and that direct gating of the ?2 subunit is not required for this picrotin inhibition. ..
- Nayak T, Auerbach A. Asymmetric transmitter binding sites of fetal muscle acetylcholine receptors shape their synaptic response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13654-9 pubmed publisher..End plate current simulations suggest that the higher affinity and increased energy from ?-? are essential for generating synaptic responses at low pulse [ACh]. ..
- Nikolov E, Ivanova Nikolova T. Coordination of membrane excitability through a GIRK1 signaling complex in the atria. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:23630-6 pubmed
- Kowaltowski A, Seetharaman S, Paucek P, Garlid K. Bioenergetic consequences of opening the ATP-sensitive K(+) channel of heart mitochondria. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2001;280:H649-57 pubmed..Thus opening mitochondrial K(ATP) channels has little direct effect on respiration, membrane potential, or Ca(2+) uptake but has important effects on matrix and intermembrane space volumes. ..
- Shi J, Cui J. Intracellular Mg(2+) enhances the function of BK-type Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channels. J Gen Physiol. 2001;118:589-606 pubmed..Quantitative computation of these effects reveals that the overall effect of Mg(2+) under physiological conditions is to enhance BK channel function. ..
- Suchyna T, Tape S, Koeppe R, Andersen O, Sachs F, Gottlieb P. Bilayer-dependent inhibition of mechanosensitive channels by neuroactive peptide enantiomers. Nature. 2004;430:235-40 pubmed..The surprising efficacy of the d form of GsMTx4 peptide has important therapeutic implications, because d peptides are not hydrolysed by endogenous proteases and may be administered orally. ..
- Shapovalov G, Lester H. Gating transitions in bacterial ion channels measured at 3 microns resolution. J Gen Physiol. 2004;124:151-61 pubmed
- Babich O, Isaev D, Shirokov R. Role of extracellular Ca2+ in gating of CaV1.2 channels. J Physiol. 2005;565:709-15 pubmed..Our findings suggest that activation of Ca(2+) conductance and Ca(2+)-dependent inactivation depend on extracellular Ca(2+) and are linked to changes in selectivity. ..
- Li H, Qu Y, Lu Y, Bondarenko V, Wang S, Skerrett I, et al. DPP10 is an inactivation modulatory protein of Kv4.3 and Kv1.4. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2006;291:C966-76 pubmed publisher..Thus DPP10 may be a general modulator of voltage-gated K(+) channel inactivation; understanding its mechanism of action may lead to deeper understanding of the inactivation of a broad range of K(+) channels...
- Pabbidi R, Yu S, Peng S, Khardori R, Pauza M, Premkumar L. Influence of TRPV1 on diabetes-induced alterations in thermal pain sensitivity. Mol Pain. 2008;4:9 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that altered TRPV1 expression and function contribute to diabetes-induced changes in thermal perception. ..
- Obejero Paz C, Gray I, Jones S. Ni2+ block of CaV3.1 (alpha1G) T-type calcium channels. J Gen Physiol. 2008;132:239-50 pubmed publisher..1, inhibition of Ca(V)3.2 by Ni(2+) was essentially independent of voltage, and was similar in 2 mM Ca(2+) vs. Ba(2+), consistent with inhibition by a different mechanism, at a site outside the pore...
- Arias H, Gumilar F, Rosenberg A, Targowska Duda K, Feuerbach D, Jozwiak K, et al. Interaction of bupropion with muscle-type nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in different conformational states. Biochemistry. 2009;48:4506-18 pubmed publisher..Bupropion interacts with a luminal binding domain shared with PCP that is located between the serine and valine rings, and this interaction is mediated mainly by an entropy-driven process. ..
- Kussius C, Popescu G. NMDA receptors with locked glutamate-binding clefts open with high efficacy. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12474-9 pubmed publisher..Low glutamate efficacy may represent a mechanism by which the neurotransmitter maintains control over receptor kinetics despite sharing with glycine the task of activation. ..
- Frolov R, Ignatova I, Singh S. Inhibition of HERG potassium channels by celecoxib and its mechanism. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26344 pubmed publisher..Our observations raise the question of celecoxib's potential to induce cardiac arrhythmias or other channel related adverse effects, and make a case for examining such possibilities. ..
- Ghosh B, Satyshur K, Czajkowski C. Propofol binding to the resting state of the gloeobacter violaceus ligand-gated ion channel (GLIC) induces structural changes in the inter- and intrasubunit transmembrane domain (TMD) cavities. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17420-31 pubmed publisher..Propofol-induced motions in the intersubunit cavity were distinct from motions associated with channel activation, indicating propofol stabilizes a novel closed state...
- Wolfe A, Mohammad M, Thakur A, Movileanu L. Global redesign of a native Î²-barrel scaffold. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1858:19-29 pubmed publisher..This study shows promise for extensive engineering of a large monomeric Î²-barrel protein pore in molecular biomedical diagnosis, therapeutics, and biosensor technology. ..
- Newell J, McDevitt R, Czajkowski C. Mutation of glutamate 155 of the GABAA receptor beta2 subunit produces a spontaneously open channel: a trigger for channel activation. J Neurosci. 2004;24:11226-35 pubmed..Structural modeling suggests that the beta2 Ile154-Asp163 region is a protein hinge that forms a network of interconnections that couples binding site movements to the cascade of events leading to channel opening. ..
- Ye J. Regulation of excitation by glycine receptors. Results Probl Cell Differ. 2008;44:123-43 pubmed..This chapter is an overview of selective studies on the newly discovered roles of GlyRs in regulating neuronal excitation, and inhibition, particularly in the upper brain areas. ..
- Hattori M, Gouaux E. Molecular mechanism of ATP binding and ion channel activation in P2X receptors. Nature. 2012;485:207-12 pubmed publisher..The structural delineation of the ATP-binding site and the ion channel pore, together with the conformational changes associated with ion channel gating, will stimulate development of new pharmacological agents. ..
- Gautam M, Tanouye M. Alteration of potassium channel gating: molecular analysis of the Drosophila Sh5 mutation. Neuron. 1990;5:67-73 pubmed..The changes in current properties and the location of the mutation are consistent with the participation of a novel region of the channel in voltage gating. ..
- Gomora J, Enyeart J. Dual pharmacological properties of a cyclic AMP-sensitive potassium channel. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1999;290:266-75 pubmed..The potent block of IAC channels identifies DPBPs as a new class of K+ channel antagonists and suggests additional targets for these neuroleptics in the central nervous system...
- Spencer R, Chang G, Rees D. 'Feeling the pressure': structural insights into a gated mechanosensitive channel. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 1999;9:448-54 pubmed..This structure provides insights into the elements participating in the conductance and gating mechanisms of these channels. ..
- Wang H, Ohno K, Milone M, Brengman J, Evoli A, Batocchi A, et al. Fundamental gating mechanism of nicotinic receptor channel revealed by mutation causing a congenital myasthenic syndrome. J Gen Physiol. 2000;116:449-62 pubmed..The findings further suggest that the fundamental gating mechanism of the AChR channel can be explained by a corrugated energy landscape superimposed on a steeply sloped energy well...
- Ramos Franco J, Bare D, Caenepeel S, Nani A, Fill M, Mignery G. Single-channel function of recombinant type 2 inositol 1,4, 5-trisphosphate receptor. Biophys J. 2000;79:1388-99 pubmed..The possibility of measuring the function of single recombinant type 2 InsP(3)R is a significant step toward the use of molecular tools to define the determinants of isoform-specific InsP(3)R function and regulation. ..
- Thompson J, Begenisich T. Affinity and location of an internal K+ ion binding site in shaker K channels. J Gen Physiol. 2001;117:373-84 pubmed..These results lead to a refined picture of the number and location of ion binding sites at the inner end of the pore in Shaker K channels. ..
- Shi J, Krishnamoorthy G, Yang Y, Hu L, Chaturvedi N, Harilal D, et al. Mechanism of magnesium activation of calcium-activated potassium channels. Nature. 2002;418:876-80 pubmed..These results indicate distinct structural pathways for Mg(2+)- and Ca(2+)-dependent activation and suggest a possible mechanism for the coupling between Mg(2+) binding and channel opening. ..
- Maurer J, Dougherty D. Generation and evaluation of a large mutational library from the Escherichia coli mechanosensitive channel of large conductance, MscL: implications for channel gating and evolutionary design. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21076-82 pubmed..The range of phenotypical changes seen has implications for a proposed model for the evolutionary origin of mechanosensitive channels. ..
- Chakrapani S, Bailey T, Auerbach A. The role of loop 5 in acetylcholine receptor channel gating. J Gen Physiol. 2003;122:521-39 pubmed..L5 emerges as an important and early link in the AChR gating reaction which, in the absence of agonist, serves to increase the relative stability of the closed conformation of the protein. ..
- Pérez C, Copello J, Li Y, Karko K, Gómez L, Ramos Franco J, et al. Ryanodine receptor function in newborn rat heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005;288:H2527-40 pubmed
- Sun C, Sellers K, Sumners C, Raizada M. NAD(P)H oxidase inhibition attenuates neuronal chronotropic actions of angiotensin II. Circ Res. 2005;96:659-66 pubmed..This signaling seems to be a critical cellular event in central Ang II regulation of cardiovascular function. ..
- Lin C, Lin Y, Yan F, Casey J, Kochhar M, Pratt E, et al. Kir6.2 mutations associated with neonatal diabetes reduce expression of ATP-sensitive K+ channels: implications in disease mechanism and sulfonylurea therapy. Diabetes. 2006;55:1738-46 pubmed..Interestingly, sulfonylureas significantly increase surface expression of certain PNDM mutants, suggesting that the efficacy of sulfonylurea therapy may be compromised by the effect of these drugs on channel expression. ..
- Zhang W, Delay R. Gonadotropin-releasing hormone modulates voltage-activated sodium current and odor responses in Necturus maculosus olfactory sensory neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2007;85:1656-67 pubmed..In addition, GnRH modulated the odor responses of OSNs. Our data suggest the release of GnRH, presumably from the terminal nerve, can serve to modulate olfactory sensory neurons...
- Weeratunga S, Lovell S, Yao H, Battaile K, Fischer C, Gee C, et al. Structural studies of bacterioferritin B from Pseudomonas aeruginosa suggest a gating mechanism for iron uptake via the ferroxidase center . Biochemistry. 2010;49:1160-75 pubmed publisher..C., Lawson, T. L., Lewin, A., Moore, G. R., and Le Brun, N. E. (2009) J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 6808-6813], indicate that not all bacterioferritins operate in the same manner. ..
- Cadugan D, Auerbach A. Linking the acetylcholine receptor-channel agonist-binding sites with the gate. Biophys J. 2010;99:798-807 pubmed publisher..We identify a column of mutation-sensitive residues in the alpha-subunit that may be a pathway for energy transfer through the extracellular domain in the gating isomerization. ..
- Cheng J, Morales A, Siegfried J, Li D, Norton N, Song J, et al. SCN5A rare variants in familial dilated cardiomyopathy decrease peak sodium current depending on the common polymorphism H558R and common splice variant Q1077del. Clin Transl Sci. 2010;3:287-94 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the biophysical findings, dependent upon common SCN5A variants, provide further evidence that these novel SCN5A rare variants are relevant for DCM. ..
- Gupta S, Auerbach A. Temperature dependence of acetylcholine receptor channels activated by different agonists. Biophys J. 2011;100:895-903 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the agonist dependence of the gating enthalpy change is associated with differences in ligand binding, specifically to the open-channel conformation of the protein...
- Jha A, Gupta S, Zucker S, Auerbach A. The energetic consequences of loop 9 gating motions in acetylcholine receptor-channels. J Physiol. 2012;590:119-29 pubmed publisher..These interactions serve, in part, to maintain the structural integrity of the AChR assembly at the E–T interface. Overall, the energy changes of L9 residues are significant but smaller than in other regions of the protein...
- Matulef K, Komarov A, Costantino C, Valiyaveetil F. Using protein backbone mutagenesis to dissect the link between ion occupancy and C-type inactivation in K+ channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17886-91 pubmed publisher..Our results link C-type inactivation to ion occupancy at the S2 site. Furthermore, they suggest that the differences in inactivation of K(+) channels in K(+) compared with Rb(+) are due to different ion occupancies at the S2 site. ..
- Velisetty P, Chalamalasetti S, Chakrapani S. Structural basis for allosteric coupling at the membrane-protein interface in Gloeobacter violaceus ligand-gated ion channel (GLIC). J Biol Chem. 2014;289:3013-25 pubmed publisher..These structural changes may serve as targets for modulation of gating by lipids, alcohols, and amphipathic drug molecules. ..
- Raphemot R, Swale D, Dadi P, Jacobson D, Cooper P, Wojtovich A, et al. Direct activation of Î²-cell KATP channels with a novel xanthine derivative. Mol Pharmacol. 2014;85:858-65 pubmed publisher..VU0071063 represents a novel tool/compound for investigating Î²-cell physiology, KATP channel gating, and a new chemical scaffold for developing improved activators with medicinal chemistry. ..
- Veit G, Avramescu R, Chiang A, Houck S, Cai Z, Peters K, et al. From CFTR biology toward combinatorial pharmacotherapy: expanded classification of cystic fibrosis mutations. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:424-33 pubmed publisher..Establishment of a set of combinatorial categories of the previously defined basic defects in CF alleles will aid the design of even more efficacious therapeutic interventions for CF patients. ..
- Labarca C, Nowak M, Zhang H, Tang L, Deshpande P, Lester H. Channel gating governed symmetrically by conserved leucine residues in the M2 domain of nicotinic receptors. Nature. 1995;376:514-6 pubmed..The results suggest that each of the five Leu 9' residues participates independently and symmetrically in a key step in the structural transition between the closed and open states. ..
- Blount P, Sukharev S, Schroeder M, Nagle S, Kung C. Single residue substitutions that change the gating properties of a mechanosensitive channel in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:11652-7 pubmed
- Ratcliffe C, Qu Y, McCormick K, Tibbs V, Dixon J, Scheuer T, et al. A sodium channel signaling complex: modulation by associated receptor protein tyrosine phosphatase beta. Nat Neurosci. 2000;3:437-44 pubmed..Our results define a sodium channel signaling complex containing RPTPbeta, which acts to regulate sodium channel modulation by tyrosine phosphorylation. ..
- Torrecilla M, Marker C, Cintora S, Stoffel M, Williams J, Wickman K. G-protein-gated potassium channels containing Kir3.2 and Kir3.3 subunits mediate the acute inhibitory effects of opioids on locus ceruleus neurons. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4328-34 pubmed..We conclude that the acute opioid inhibition of LC neurons is mediated primarily by the activation of G-protein-gated potassium channels and that the cAMP-dependent cation conductance does not contribute significantly to this effect. ..
- Yarov Yarovoy V, McPhee J, Idsvoog D, Pate C, Scheuer T, Catterall W. Role of amino acid residues in transmembrane segments IS6 and IIS6 of the Na+ channel alpha subunit in voltage-dependent gating and drug block. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:35393-401 pubmed..These results suggest that the local anesthetic receptor site is formed primarily by residues in segments IIIS6 and IVS6 with the contribution of a single amino acid in segment IS6...
- Bottein Dechraoui M, Ramsdell J. Type B brevetoxins show tissue selectivity for voltage-gated sodium channels: comparison of brain, skeletal muscle and cardiac sodium channels. Toxicon. 2003;41:919-27 pubmed..The lower selectivity of type B brevetoxins for heart sodium channels may result from a more rigid backbone structure than is found in type A brevetoxins and ciguatoxins. ..
- Fisher J. A mutation in the GABAA receptor alpha 1 subunit linked to human epilepsy affects channel gating properties. Neuropharmacology. 2004;46:629-37 pubmed..Therefore, production of the mutated subunit could cause global hyperexcitability throughout the brain, leading to generalized seizures with juvenile onset. ..
- Bienengraeber M, Olson T, Selivanov V, Kathmann E, O Cochlain F, Gao F, et al. ABCC9 mutations identified in human dilated cardiomyopathy disrupt catalytic KATP channel gating. Nat Genet. 2004;36:382-7 pubmed..Defective catalysis-mediated pore regulation is thus a mechanism for channel dysfunction and susceptibility to dilated cardiomyopathy...
- Chakrapani S, Bailey T, Auerbach A. Gating dynamics of the acetylcholine receptor extracellular domain. J Gen Physiol. 2004;123:341-56 pubmed..69). We hypothesize that AChR gating occurs as the stepwise movements of such domains that link the low-to-high affinity conformational change in the TBS with the low-to-high conductance conformational change in the pore. ..
- Purohit P, Mitra A, Auerbach A. A stepwise mechanism for acetylcholine receptor channel gating. Nature. 2007;446:930-3 pubmed..The core of the channel serves both as a gate that regulates ion flow and as a hub that directs the propagation of the gating isomerization through the membrane domain of the acetylcholine receptor. ..
- Ukhanov K, Leinders Zufall T, Zufall F. Patch-clamp analysis of gene-targeted vomeronasal neurons expressing a defined V1r or V2r receptor: ionic mechanisms underlying persistent firing. J Neurophysiol. 2007;98:2357-69 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest a novel mechanism for regulating and encoding neuronal activity in the accessory olfactory system. ..
- Yang C, Su L, Wang Y, Liu L. UTP regulation of ion transport in alveolar epithelial cells involves distinct mechanisms. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2009;297:L439-54 pubmed publisher..Our results further imply a new concept that type II cells contribute to UTP-induced fluid secretion and type I cells contribute to UTP-induced fluid absorption in alveoli. ..
- Bushman J, Gay J, Tewson P, Stanley C, Shyng S. Characterization and functional restoration of a potassium channel Kir6.2 pore mutation identified in congenital hyperinsulinism. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:6012-23 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the glycine at 156 is not essential for K(ATP) channel gating and that the Kir6.2 gating defect caused by the G156R mutation could be rescued by manipulating chemical interactions between pore residues. ..
- Arroyo A, Kim B, Biehl A, Yeh J, Bett G. Expression of kv4.3 voltage-gated potassium channels in rat gonadotrophin-releasing hormone (GnRH) neurons during the estrous cycle. Reprod Sci. 2011;18:136-44 pubmed publisher..48% in diestrus-proestrus rats (P < .05). Our data suggest that Kv4.3 is the major molecular component of I(A) in GnRH neurons, and furthermore that the expression of Kv4.3 changes significantly during the rat estrous cycle. ..
- Purohit P, Auerbach A. Glycine hinges with opposing actions at the acetylcholine receptor-channel transmitter binding site. Mol Pharmacol. 2011;79:351-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that a concerted motion of the two glycine hinges (plus other structural elements at the binding site) positions ?Trp149 so that it provides physiologically optimal binding and gating function at the nerve-muscle synapse. ..
- Baconguis I, Gouaux E. Structural plasticity and dynamic selectivity of acid-sensing ion channel-spider toxin complexes. Nature. 2012;489:400-5 pubmed publisher..These studies define mechanisms for activation of ASICs, illuminate the basis for dynamic ion selectivity and provide the blueprints for new therapeutic agents. ..
- Lopin K, Gray I, Obejero Paz C, Thevenod F, Jones S. Fe²? block and permeation of CaV3.1 (?1G) T-type calcium channels: candidate mechanism for non-transferrin-mediated Fe²? influx. Mol Pharmacol. 2012;82:1194-204 pubmed publisher..1 channels exhibit a significant "window current" at that voltage (open probability, ?1%), Ca(V)3.1 channels represent a likely pathway for Fe²? entry into cells with clinically relevant concentrations of extracellular Fe²?. ..
- Niedzwiecki D, Mohammad M, Movileanu L. Inspection of the engineered FhuA ?C/?4L protein nanopore by polymer exclusion. Biophys J. 2012;103:2115-24 pubmed publisher..Molecular insights inferred from this work represent a platform for future protein engineering of FhuA that will be employed for specific tasks in biotechnological applications. ..
- Mukhtasimova N, Sine S. Nicotinic receptor transduction zone: invariant arginine couples to multiple electron-rich residues. Biophys J. 2013;104:355-67 pubmed publisher..The emerging picture shows a multifaceted network of interdependent residues that are required for communication between the ligand-binding and pore domains. ..
- Purohit P, Auerbach A. Loop C and the mechanism of acetylcholine receptor-channel gating. J Gen Physiol. 2013;141:467-78 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the mechanism of energy transfer between the binding sites and the gate remains an open question. ..
- Dellisanti C, Ghosh B, Hanson S, Raspanti J, Grant V, Diarra G, et al. Site-directed spin labeling reveals pentameric ligand-gated ion channel gating motions. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001714 pubmed publisher..These findings advance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying pLGIC gating. ..
- Adelman J, Bond C, Pessia M, Maylie J. Episodic ataxia results from voltage-dependent potassium channels with altered functions. Neuron. 1995;15:1449-54 pubmed..The results suggest a cellular mechanism underlying EA in which the affected nerve cells cannot efficiently repolarize following an action potential because of altered delayed rectifier function. ..
- Cadugan D, Auerbach A. Conformational dynamics of the alphaM3 transmembrane helix during acetylcholine receptor channel gating. Biophys J. 2007;93:859-65 pubmed..The propagation of the gating Brownian conformational cascade has a complex spatial distribution in the transmembrane domain. ..
- Babich O, Reeves J, Shirokov R. Block of CaV1.2 channels by Gd3+ reveals preopening transitions in the selectivity filter. J Gen Physiol. 2007;129:461-75 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that at submicromolar concentrations, Gd(3+) binds at the entry to the selectivity locus and that the affinity of the site for permeant ions decreases during preopening transitions of the channel...
- Wang H, Kohr M, Traynham C, Ziolo M. Phosphodiesterase 5 restricts NOS3/Soluble guanylate cyclase signaling to L-type Ca2+ current in cardiac myocytes. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009;47:304-14 pubmed publisher..Our data suggests a novel physiological role for PDE5 in restricting the effects of NOS3/sGC/PKG signaling pathway to modulating beta-AR stimulated I(Ca), while limiting effects on cardiac contraction. ..
- Schumacher M, Rivard A, Bachinger H, Adelman J. Structure of the gating domain of a Ca2+-activated K+ channel complexed with Ca2+/calmodulin. Nature. 2001;410:1120-4 pubmed..Together with biochemical data, the structure suggests a possible gating mechanism for the SK channel. ..
- Cukierman S. Inactivation modifiers of Na+ currents and the gating of rat brain Na+ channels in planar lipid membranes. Pflugers Arch. 1991;419:514-21 pubmed..Inactivation modifiers also affected the gating of toxin-activated single Na+ channels.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Slimko E, McKinney S, Anderson D, Davidson N, Lester H. Selective electrical silencing of mammalian neurons in vitro by the use of invertebrate ligand-gated chloride channels. J Neurosci. 2002;22:7373-9 pubmed..These experiments demonstrate the feasibility of using invertebrate ligand-activated Cl- channels as an approach to modulate excitability. ..
- Loukin S, Su Z, Zhou X, Kung C. Forward genetic analysis reveals multiple gating mechanisms of TRPV4. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19884-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TRPV4 contains an additional voltage-dependent gating mechanism in series with the main intracellular gate. ..
- Tong Y, Brandt G, Li M, Shapovalov G, Slimko E, Karschin A, et al. Tyrosine decaging leads to substantial membrane trafficking during modulation of an inward rectifier potassium channel. J Gen Physiol. 2001;117:103-18 pubmed..1 currents. These data establish that side chain decaging can provide valuable time-resolved data about intracellular signaling systems. ..
- Sunderman E, Zagotta W. Mechanism of allosteric modulation of rod cyclic nucleotide-gated channels. J Gen Physiol. 1999;113:601-20 pubmed..The interactions between H420 and Ni2+ occur primarily after the transition state for the allosteric transition. ..
- Nag S, Resnick A. Biophysics and biofluid dynamics of primary cilia: evidence for and against the flow-sensing function. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F706-F720 pubmed publisher..Throughout, we stress the importance of separating the effects of fluid shear and stretch from the action of hydrodynamic drag. ..
- Mani B, Brueggemann L, Cribbs L, Byron K. Opposite regulation of KCNQ5 and TRPC6 channels contributes to vasopressin-stimulated calcium spiking responses in A7r5 vascular smooth muscle cells. Cell Calcium. 2009;45:400-11 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that suppression of KCNQ5 currents alone is sufficient to excite A7r5 cells, but AVP-induced activation of TRPC6 contributes to the stimulation of Ca(2+) spiking. ..
- Reyes S, Park S, Terzic A, Alekseev A. K(ATP) channels process nucleotide signals in muscle thermogenic response. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;45:506-19 pubmed publisher..Under energy surplus, downregulation of K(ATP) channel function may find potential implications in conditions of energy imbalance linked to obesity, cold intolerance and associated metabolic disorders. ..
- Brager D, Akhavan A, Johnston D. Impaired dendritic expression and plasticity of h-channels in the fmr1(-/y) mouse model of fragile X syndrome. Cell Rep. 2012;1:225-33 pubmed
- Perez Reyes E, Lee J, Cribbs L. Molecular characterization of two members of the T-type calcium channel family. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;868:131-43 pubmed..The currents generated by alpha 1G and alpha 1H are nearly identical in terms of their voltage dependence and kinetics. We present preliminary evidence that nickel may serve as a valuable tool in discriminating between these subtypes. ..