Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on intracellular membranes in Switzerland
Topic: intracellular membranes
- Blanchet M, Le Good J, Oorschot V, Baflast S, Minchiotti G, Klumperman J, et al. Cripto localizes Nodal at the limiting membrane of early endosomes. Sci Signal. 2008;1:ra13 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, Cripto is the first GPI-anchored protein shown to control intraendosomal sorting of its associated cargo. ..
- Bauer J, Hiltbrunner A, Weibel P, Vidi P, Alvarez Huerta M, Smith M, et al. Essential role of the G-domain in targeting of the protein import receptor atToc159 to the chloroplast outer membrane. J Cell Biol. 2002;159:845-54 pubmed..Thus, the function of atToc159 in chloroplast biogenesis is dependent on an intrinsic GTP-regulated switch that controls localization of the receptor to the chloroplast envelope. ..
- Haucke V, Schatz G. Reconstitution of the protein insertion machinery of the mitochondrial inner membrane. EMBO J. 1997;16:4560-7 pubmed..The protein insertion machinery can thus operate independently of the energy-transducing Tim44p-mhsp70 complex. ..
- Schneider A, Behrens M, Scherer P, Pratje E, Michaelis G, Schatz G. Inner membrane protease I, an enzyme mediating intramitochondrial protein sorting in yeast. EMBO J. 1991;10:247-54 pubmed..This 'inner membrane protease I' shares several key features with the leader peptidase of Escherichia coli and the signal peptidase of the endoplasmic reticulum. ..
- Naim H, Sterchi E, Lentze M. Structure, biosynthesis, and glycosylation of human small intestinal maltase-glucoamylase. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:19709-17 pubmed..Finally, pulse-chase experiments revealed a relatively slow rate of post-translational processing of MGA in comparison to aminopeptidase N.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Peters C, Baars T, Buhler S, Mayer A. Mutual control of membrane fission and fusion proteins. Cell. 2004;119:667-78 pubmed..We propose that reciprocal control between fusion and fission components exists, which may prevent futile cycles of fission and fusion. ..
- Betz C, Stracka D, Prescianotto Baschong C, Frieden M, Demaurex N, Hall M. Feature Article: mTOR complex 2-Akt signaling at mitochondria-associated endoplasmic reticulum membranes (MAM) regulates mitochondrial physiology. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:12526-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, mTORC2 is at the core of a MAM signaling hub that controls growth and metabolism. ..
- Pagac M, de la Mora H, Duperrex C, Roubaty C, Vionnet C, Conzelmann A. Topology of 1-acyl-sn-glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferases SLC1 and ALE1 and related membrane-bound O-acyltransferases (MBOATs) of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:36438-47 pubmed publisher..The implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Schindler C, Spang A. Interaction of SNAREs with ArfGAPs precedes recruitment of Sec18p/NSF. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2852-63 pubmed
- Bonaventure G, Gfeller A, Proebsting W, Hortensteiner S, Chételat A, Martinoia E, et al. A gain-of-function allele of TPC1 activates oxylipin biogenesis after leaf wounding in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2007;49:889-98 pubmed..The results indicate that cation fluxes exert strong control over the positive feedback loop whereby JA stimulates its own synthesis. ..
- Mercanti V, Charette S, Bennett N, Ryckewaert J, Letourneur F, Cosson P. Selective membrane exclusion in phagocytic and macropinocytic cups. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4079-87 pubmed..Our results suggest the existence of a new, as yet uncharacterized, sorting mechanism in phagocytic and macropinocytic cups. ..
- Heesen S, Lehle L, Weissmann A, Aebi M. Isolation of the ALG5 locus encoding the UDP-glucose:dolichyl-phosphate glucosyltransferase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eur J Biochem. 1994;224:71-9 pubmed..cerevisiae. Topological studies indicate that UDP-glucose:dolichyl-phosphate glucosyltransferase is a transmembrane protein that spans the membrane several times. ..
- Horst M, Oppliger W, Rospert S, Schönfeld H, Schatz G, Azem A. Sequential action of two hsp70 complexes during protein import into mitochondria. EMBO J. 1997;16:1842-9 pubmed..A precursor protein entering the matrix interacts first with the import complex and then with the folding complex. A chaperone can thus function as part of two different complexes within the same organelle. ..
- Berger P, Schaffitzel C, Berger I, Ban N, Suter U. Membrane association of myotubularin-related protein 2 is mediated by a pleckstrin homology-GRAM domain and a coiled-coil dimerization module. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12177-82 pubmed..Our data indicate that phosphoinositide-protein interactions, as well as protein-protein interactions, are necessary for the correct regulation of MTMR2...
- Cherradi N, Rossier M, Vallotton M, Timberg R, Friedberg I, Orly J, et al. Submitochondrial distribution of three key steroidogenic proteins (steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and cytochrome p450scc and 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase isomerase enzymes) upon stimulation by intracellular calcium in adrenal glomerulos. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:7899-907 pubmed
- Zhang H, Holzgreve W, de Geyter C. Bcl2-L-10, a novel anti-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family, blocks apoptosis in the mitochondria death pathway but not in the death receptor pathway. Hum Mol Genet. 2001;10:2329-39 pubmed..Our results demonstrated that Bcl2-L-10 is a newly detected anti-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family and that it blocks apoptosis in the mitochondrial death pathway but not in the death receptor pathway. ..
- Koehler C, Merchant S, Oppliger W, Schmid K, Jarosch E, Dolfini L, et al. Tim9p, an essential partner subunit of Tim10p for the import of mitochondrial carrier proteins. EMBO J. 1998;17:6477-86 pubmed..Tim9p is a new subunit of the TIM machinery that guides hydrophobic inner membrane proteins across the aqueous intermembrane space. ..
- Muniz M, Nuoffer C, Hauri H, Riezman H. The Emp24 complex recruits a specific cargo molecule into endoplasmic reticulum-derived vesicles. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:925-30 pubmed..Gap1p, which was not affected by emp24 mutation, was not cross-linked. These results suggest that the Emp24 complex acts as a cargo receptor in vesicle biogenesis from the ER. ..
- Koehler C, Murphy M, Bally N, Leuenberger D, Oppliger W, Dolfini L, et al. Tim18p, a new subunit of the TIM22 complex that mediates insertion of imported proteins into the yeast mitochondrial inner membrane. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:1187-93 pubmed..We suggest that Tim18p functions in the assembly and stabilization of the TIM22 complex but does not directly participate in protein insertion into the inner membrane. ..
- Odermatt A, Arnold P, Stauffer A, Frey B, Frey F. The N-terminal anchor sequences of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases determine their orientation in the endoplasmic reticulum membrane. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:28762-70 pubmed..Our results emphasize the importance of the N-terminal transmembrane segments of 11beta-HSD enzymes for their proper function and demonstrate that they are sufficient to determine their orientation in the ER membrane. ..
- Walzel B, Speer O, Zanolla E, Eriksson O, Bernardi P, Wallimann T. Novel mitochondrial creatine transport activity. Implications for intracellular creatine compartments and bioenergetics. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:37503-11 pubmed..Our data suggest that mitochondria, shown here to possess creatine transport activity, may harbor such a creatine/phosphocreatine pool...
- Burda P, Aebi M. The ALG10 locus of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes the alpha-1,2 glucosyltransferase of the endoplasmic reticulum: the terminal glucose of the lipid-linked oligosaccharide is required for efficient N-linked glycosylation. Glycobiology. 1998;8:455-62 pubmed..This ensures that primarily completely assembled oligosaccharide is transferred to protein. ..
- Nagy G, Kovacs L, Ünnep R, Zsiros O, Almásy L, Rosta L, et al. Kinetics of structural reorganizations in multilamellar photosynthetic membranes monitored by small-angle neutron scattering. Eur Phys J E Soft Matter. 2013;36:69 pubmed publisher..We also present data from comparative measurements performed on thylakoid membranes isolated from tobacco. ..
- Abramowski D, Rabe S, Upadhaya A, Reichwald J, Danner S, Staab D, et al. Transgenic expression of intraneuronal A?42 but not A?40 leads to cellular A? lesions, degeneration, and functional impairment without typical Alzheimer's disease pathology. J Neurosci. 2012;32:1273-83 pubmed publisher..While intracellular membrane expression of A?1-42 in APP48 mice does not lead to the AD-typical lesions, A? aggregates develop within cells accompanied by considerable neurodegeneration. ..
- Kauss D, Bischof S, Steiner S, Apel K, Meskauskiene R. FLU, a negative feedback regulator of tetrapyrrole biosynthesis, is physically linked to the final steps of the Mg(++)-branch of this pathway. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:211-6 pubmed publisher..The results support the notion that FLU links chlorophyll synthesis and the target of feedback control, glutamyl-tRNA reductase, thereby allowing also the Mg-branch to control the initial step of tetrapyrrole synthesis. ..
- Koehler C, Leuenberger D, Merchant S, Renold A, Junne T, Schatz G. Human deafness dystonia syndrome is a mitochondrial disease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2141-6 pubmed..The deafness dystonia syndrome thus is a novel type of mitochondrial disease that probably is caused by a defective mitochondrial protein-import system...
- Barth S, Edlich F, Berchner Pfannschmidt U, Gneuss S, Jahreis G, Hasgall P, et al. Hypoxia-inducible factor prolyl-4-hydroxylase PHD2 protein abundance depends on integral membrane anchoring of FKBP38. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:23046-58 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that FKBP38-bound PHD2 is constantly degraded whereas cytosolic PHD2 is stable and able to function as an active prolyl-4-hydroxylase. ..
- Hahne K, Haucke V, Ramage L, Schatz G. Incomplete arrest in the outer membrane sorts NADH-cytochrome b5 reductase to two different submitochondrial compartments. Cell. 1994;79:829-39 pubmed..Incomplete translocation arrest in the outer membrane is a novel mechanism by which the product of a single gene is sorted into different compartments of the same organelle. ..
- Wiederkehr A, Avaro S, Prescianotto Baschong C, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Riezman H. The F-box protein Rcy1p is involved in endocytic membrane traffic and recycling out of an early endosome in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2000;149:397-410 pubmed..cerevisiae and that a major fraction of internalized FM4-64 is secreted back into the medium within a few minutes. The rcy1Delta mutant is strongly defective in recycling. ..
- Lutjens R, Igarashi M, Pellier V, Blasey H, Di Paolo G, Ruchti E, et al. Localization and targeting of SCG10 to the trans-Golgi apparatus and growth cone vesicles. Eur J Neurosci. 2000;12:2224-34 pubmed..These results reveal a novel axonal/dendritic growth cone targeting sequence that involves palmitoylation. ..
- Schneider A, Oppliger W, Jeno P. Purified inner membrane protease I of yeast mitochondria is a heterodimer. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:8635-8 pubmed..Partial amino acid sequencing identifies this subunit as the product of the recently described IMP2 gene (Nunnari, J., Fox, T., and Walter, P. (1993) Science 262, 1997-2004). ..
- Daubenberger C, Tisdale E, Curcic M, Diaz D, Silvie O, Mazier D, et al. The N'-terminal domain of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase of the apicomplexan Plasmodium falciparum mediates GTPase Rab2-dependent recruitment to membranes. Biol Chem. 2003;384:1227-37 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that pfGAPDH exerts non-glycolytic function(s) in P. falciparum, possibly including a role in vesicular transport and biogenesis of apical organelles. ..
- Tobler A, Constam D, Schmitt Gräff A, Malipiero U, Schlapbach R, Fontana A. Cloning of the human puromycin-sensitive aminopeptidase and evidence for expression in neurons. J Neurochem. 1997;68:889-97 pubmed..By in situ hybridization, huPSA transcript could be identified in cortical and cerebellar neurons, whereas glial cells and blood vessels remained negative. ..
- Binda M, Péli Gulli M, Bonfils G, Panchaud N, Urban J, Sturgill T, et al. The Vam6 GEF controls TORC1 by activating the EGO complex. Mol Cell. 2009;35:563-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its regulatory role in homotypic vacuolar fusion and vacuole protein sorting within the HOPS complex, Vam6 also controls TORC1 function by activating the Gtr1 subunit of the EGO complex. ..
- Leighton J, Schatz G. An ABC transporter in the mitochondrial inner membrane is required for normal growth of yeast. EMBO J. 1995;14:188-95 pubmed..Atm1p is the first mitochondrial member of the ABC family to be identified and the only eukaryotic ABC transporter that has been shown to be necessary for normal cellular growth...
- Kronidou N, Oppliger W, Bolliger L, Hannavy K, Glick B, Schatz G, et al. Dynamic interaction between Isp45 and mitochondrial hsp70 in the protein import system of the yeast mitochondrial inner membrane. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:12818-22 pubmed..This arrangement is reminiscent of the protein transport systems of the yeast endoplasmic reticulum and the bacterial plasma membrane. ..
- De Angeli A, Zhang J, Meyer S, Martinoia E. AtALMT9 is a malate-activated vacuolar chloride channel required for stomatal opening in Arabidopsis. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1804 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that AtALMT9 is a vacuolar chloride channel having a major role in controlling stomata aperture. ..
- Muller D, Heymann J, Oesterhelt F, Moller C, Gaub H, Buldt G, et al. Atomic force microscopy of native purple membrane. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1460:27-38 pubmed..The combination of single molecule AFM imaging and single molecule force-spectroscopy provides an unique insight into the interactions between individual BR molecules and the PM, and between secondary structure elements within BR...
- Koehler C, Jarosch E, Tokatlidis K, Schmid K, Schweyen R, Schatz G. Import of mitochondrial carriers mediated by essential proteins of the intermembrane space. Science. 1998;279:369-73 pubmed..Neither protein was required for protein import into the other mitochondrial compartments. Both proteins may function as intermembrane space chaperones for the highly insoluble carrier proteins. ..