Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on insect proteins in Australia
Topic: insect proteins
- Etebari K, Hussain M, Asgari S. Suppression of scavenger receptors transcription by parasitoid factors. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:517-24 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, it appears that the two members of the SR family play important roles in innate immune responses in P. xylostella and that each member of this group may play different roles in the host-parasitoid interaction. ..
- Hope M, Menzies M, Kemp D. Identification of a dieldrin resistance-associated mutation in Rhipicephalus (Boophilus) microplus (Acari: Ixodidae). J Econ Entomol. 2010;103:1355-9 pubmed..The mutation is not found in other laboratory-maintained strains of R. microplus that were subject to selection pressure with various acaricides. ..
- Truong M, Dutta N, Choudhury N, Kim M, Elvin C, Hill A, et al. A pH-responsive interface derived from resilin-mimetic protein Rec1-resilin. Biomaterials. 2010;31:4434-46 pubmed publisher..Such responsive surfaces created using 'smart' biomimetic rec1-resilin have the potential to find applications in many areas including biotechnology, medicine, sensors, controlled drug delivery systems and engineering. ..
- Teese M, Campbell P, Scott C, Gordon K, Southon A, Hovan D, et al. Gene identification and proteomic analysis of the esterases of the cotton bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;40:1-16 pubmed publisher..Five of these sequences were matched to zones of activity on native PAGE at relative mobility values previously associated with insecticide resistance in this species. ..
- Lyons R, Nairn K, Huson M, Kim M, Dumsday G, Elvin C. Comparisons of recombinant resilin-like proteins: repetitive domains are sufficient to confer resilin-like properties. Biomacromolecules. 2009;10:3009-14 pubmed publisher..Despite the reduced complexity of the An16 and Dros16 proteins compared to natural resilins, we have been able to produce elastic and resilient biomaterials with similar properties to resilin. ..
- Chapman N, Lim J, Oldroyd B. Population genetics of commercial and feral honey bees in Western Australia. J Econ Entomol. 2008;101:272-7 pubmed..Only mitotypes C1 and M6 are present in the commercial populations. The feral population contains all three mitotypes. ..
- Sutherland T, Campbell P, Weisman S, Trueman H, Sriskantha A, Wanjura W, et al. A highly divergent gene cluster in honey bees encodes a novel silk family. Genome Res. 2006;16:1414-21 pubmed publisher..This implies independent evolutionary origins for these functionally related proteins...
- For t S, Maleszka R. Function and evolution of a gene family encoding odorant binding-like proteins in a social insect, the honey bee (Apis mellifera). Genome Res. 2006;16:1404-13 pubmed publisher..These findings support the view that OBPs are not restricted to olfaction and are likely to be involved in broader physiological functions...
- Ebert P, Rowland J, Toma D. Isolation of seven unique biogenic amine receptor clones from the honey bee by library scanning. Insect Mol Biol. 1998;7:151-62 pubmed..Therefore the size of the biogenic amine receptor gene family of insects approaches that of vertebrates. This is true despite the reduced behavioural and genetic complexity of the insects relative to vertebrate animals. ..
- Ma G, Roberts H, Sarjan M, Featherstone N, Lahnstein J, Akhurst R, et al. Is the mature endotoxin Cry1Ac from Bacillus thuringiensis inactivated by a coagulation reaction in the gut lumen of resistant Helicoverpa armigera larvae?. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2005;35:729-39 pubmed publisher..We propose a resistance mechanism against toxins based on a systemic immune-induction that can be transmitted to the next generation by a maternal effect...
- Kucharski R, Maleszka R. Transcriptional profiling reveals multifunctional roles for transferrin in the honeybee, Apis mellifera. J Insect Sci. 2003;3:27 pubmed..We conclude that major fluctuations of AmTRF mRNA in time and space are consistent with context-dependent functional significance and suggest broader multifunctional roles for transferrin in insects. ..
- Asgari S, Schmidt O. Isolation of an imaginal disc growth factor homologue from Pieris rapae and its expression following parasitization by Cotesia rubecula. J Insect Physiol. 2004;50:687-94 pubmed publisher..rapae IDGF is not affected by parasitization and polydnavirus infection. However, the amount of highly expressed genes, such as storage proteins, arylphorin and lipophorin, are significantly reduced following parasitization...
- Asgari S, Reineke A, Beck M, Schmidt O. Isolation and characterization of a neprilysin-like protein from Venturia canescens virus-like particles. Insect Mol Biol. 2002;11:477-85 pubmed..In this paper, we describe the isolation and molecular cloning of a neprilysin-like gene (VcNEP) coding for a 94 kDa VcVLP protein and discuss its possible role in host regulation. ..
- Tellam R, Eisemann C, Vuocolo T, Casu R, Jarmey J, Bowles V, et al. Role of oligosaccharides in the immune response of sheep vaccinated with Lucilia cuprina larval glycoprotein, peritrophin-95. Int J Parasitol. 2001;31:798-809 pubmed..It was concluded that the oligosaccharides attached to native peritrophin-95 and its unique polypeptide structure are essential for the induction of larval growth inhibitory activity in the sera of sheep vaccinated with this antigen. ..
- MacKenzie S, Howells A, Cox G, Ewart G. Sub-cellular localisation of the white/scarlet ABC transporter to pigment granule membranes within the compound eye of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2000;108:239-52 pubmed..Other functional implications of this new finding are discussed...
- Wicking C, Smyth I, Bale A. The hedgehog signalling pathway in tumorigenesis and development. Oncogene. 1999;18:7844-51 pubmed
- Gibson J, Reed D, Bartoszewski S, Wilks A. Structural changes in the promoter region mediate transvection at the sn-glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Biochem Genet. 1999;37:301-15 pubmed..Transvection at Gpdh appears similar to the "enhancer action in trans" mode at the yellow locus. ..
- Wijffels G, Hughes S, Gough J, Allen J, Don A, Marshall K, et al. Peritrophins of adult dipteran ectoparasites and their evaluation as vaccine antigens. Int J Parasitol. 1999;29:1363-77 pubmed..When the adult life stages of H.i. exigua or two mosquitoes, A. vigilax and A. aegypti (Linnaeus), were fed on the sera or blood of vaccinated hosts, there were no detrimental effects to any life cycle stages of these Diptera...
- MacKenzie S, Brooker M, Gill T, Cox G, Howells A, Ewart G. Mutations in the white gene of Drosophila melanogaster affecting ABC transporters that determine eye colouration. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1419:173-85 pubmed..Red and brown pigments are reduced to very low levels by this mutation indicating this loop region is important for the function of both guanine and tryptophan transporters...
- Matthews J, Kowalski K, Liew C, Sharpe B, Fox A, Crossley M, et al. A class of zinc fingers involved in protein-protein interactions biophysical characterization of CCHC fingers from fog and U-shaped. Eur J Biochem. 2000;267:1030-8 pubmed