Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on insect genes in Italy
Topic: insect genes
- Cavaliere V, Spano S, Andrenacci D, Cortesi L, Gargiulo G. Regulatory elements in the promoter of the vitelline membrane gene VM32E of Drosophila melanogaster direct gene expression in distinct domains of the follicular epithelium. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;254:231-7 pubmed..We suggest that the expression of the VM32E gene throughout the follicular epithelium is controlled by specific cis-regulatory elements acting in distinct spatial domains and following a precise developmental program. ..
- Caggese C, Barsanti P, Viggiano L, Bozzetti M, Caizzi R. Genetic, molecular and developmental analysis of the glutamine synthetase isozymes of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 1994;94:275-81 pubmed..Preliminary results show strikingly distinct spatial and temporal patterns of expression of the two isoforms at later stages of development. ..
- Pizzuti A, Novelli G, Mari A, Ratti A, Colosimo A, Amati F, et al. Human homologue sequences to the Drosophila dishevelled segment-polarity gene are deleted in the DiGeorge syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 1996;58:722-9 pubmed..Since DGS may be due to perturbation of differentiation mechanisms at decisive embryological stages, a Dsh-like gene in the small-region overlap (SRO) might be a candidate for the pathogenesis of this disorder. ..
- Caggese C, Ragone G, Barsanti P, Moschetti R, Messina A, Massari S, et al. The S-adenosyl-L-homocysteine hydrolase of Drosophila melanogaster: identification, deduced amino acid sequence and cytological localization of the structural gene. Mol Gen Genet. 1997;253:492-8 pubmed..We discuss the hypothesis that a sequence that originated by duplication of an ancestral AdoHcyase gene has, in the course of evolution, been recruited to supply a different function. ..
- Banfi S, Borsani G, Bulfone A, Ballabio A. Drosophila-related expressed sequences. Hum Mol Genet. 1997;6:1745-53 pubmed..Comparison between DRES genes and their putative partners in Drosophila contributes to the understanding of their function in mammals and to the discovery of their possible role in disease. ..
- Borsani G, DeGrandi A, Ballabio A, Bulfone A, Bernard L, Banfi S, et al. EYA4, a novel vertebrate gene related to Drosophila eyes absent. Hum Mol Genet. 1999;8:11-23 pubmed..On the basis of map position and expression pattern, EYA4 is a candidate for oculo-dento-digital (ODD) syndrome, but no EYA4 mutations were found in a panel of ODD patients. ..
- Abu Issa R, Cavicchi S. Genetic interactions among vestigial, hairy, and Notch suggest a role of vestigial in the differentiation of epidermal and neural cells of the wing and halter of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 1996;10:239-46 pubmed..Mechanisms of molecular interactions among the three loci are discussed. ..
- Giordano E, Peluso I, Senger S, Furia M. minifly, a Drosophila gene required for ribosome biogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1999;144:1123-33 pubmed..In addition, we report that mfl hosts an intron encoded box H/ACA snoRNA gene, the first member of this class of snoRNAs identified so far from Drosophila. ..
- Guantieri V, Pepe A, Zordan M, Kyriacou C, Costa R, Tamburro A. Different period gene repeats take 'turns' at fine-tuning the circadian clock. Proc Biol Sci. 1999;266:2283-8 pubmed..Thus two peptide sequences, whose amino-acid composition is very different, nevertheless form the same secondary structure. The implications of these structures for clock function are discussed. ..
- Messina A, Neri M, Perosa F, Caggese C, Marino M, Caizzi R, et al. Cloning and chromosomal localization of a cDNA encoding a mitochondrial porin from Drosophila melanogaster. FEBS Lett. 1996;384:9-13 pubmed..It hybridizes with different intensities in two sites, in chromosome 2L, at region 31E and in chromosome 3L at region 79D. Thus, also in Drosophila melanogaster porin polypeptide(s) belong(s) to a multigene family. ..
- Oliva M, Messina A, Ragone G, Caggese C, De Pinto V. Sequence and expression pattern of the Drosophila melanogaster mitochondrial porin gene: evidence of a conserved protein domain between fly and mouse. FEBS Lett. 1998;430:327-32 pubmed..1.2-1.6 kbp are transcribed in every fly developmental stage that was studied. They were shown to derive by an alternative usage of different promoters and polyadenylation sites. ..
- Pozzoli U, Elgar G, Cagliani R, Riva L, Comi G, Bresolin N, et al. Comparative analysis of vertebrate dystrophin loci indicate intron gigantism as a common feature. Genome Res. 2003;13:764-72 pubmed..The hypothesis that intron length might be functionally relevant to the DMD gene regulation is proposed and substantiated by the finding that dystrophin intron gigantism is common to the three vertebrate genes...
- Ciolfi S, de Filippis T, Torti C, Malacrida A, Dallai R. Molecular characterization and chromosomal localization of female-specific genes from the Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata (Diptera: Tephritidae). Genome. 2005;48:139-44 pubmed..The novel cDNA was therefore named FST2. The analysis of mitotic and polytene chromosomes by in situ hybridization showed that FST genes map on the left arm of the 4th chromosome of C. capitata...
- Torti C, Gomulski L, Bonizzoni M, Murelli V, Moralli D, Guglielmino C, et al. Cchobo, a hobo-related sequence in Ceratitis capitata. Genetica. 2005;123:313-25 pubmed..Intra- and interstrain polymorphisms were detected both at euchromatic and heterochromatic sites. These findings suggest that active copies of the element may be present in the medfly genome...
- Borgnetto M, Zunino F, Tinelli S, Kas E, Capranico G. Drug-specific sites of topoisomerase II DNA cleavage in Drosophila chromatin: heterogeneous localization and reversibility. Cancer Res. 1996;56:1855-62 pubmed..The results demonstrate a high heterogeneity in the localization, extent, and reversibility of drug-stimulated DNA cleavage in the chromatin of living cells. ..
- Riparbelli M, Gigliotti S, Callaini G. The Drosophila nucleoporin gene nup154 is required for correct microfilament dynamics and cell death during oogenesis. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:590-604 pubmed..We propose that Nup154 is necessary for correct nuclear pore complex functions and that the proper regulation of the actin cytoskeleton dynamics strongly relies upon nuclear pore integrity. ..
- Montrasio S, Mlodzik M, Fanto M. A new allele uncovers the role of echinus in the control of ommatidial rotation in the Drosophila eye. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2936-42 pubmed