Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on inheritance patterns in United States
Locale: United States
Topic: inheritance patterns
- Gripp K, Robbins K, Sheffield B, Lee A, Patel M, Yip S, et al. Paternal uniparental disomy 11p15.5 in the pancreatic nodule of an infant with Costello syndrome: Shared mechanism for hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia in neonates with Costello and Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome and somatic loss of heterozygosity in Coste. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170:559-64 pubmed publisher..It is conceivable that HRAS co-localization with IGF2 and the combined effect of pUPD 11p15.5 on both genes contributes to the oncogenic potential. ..
- Li B, Xie C, Qiu H. Production of selectable marker-free transgenic tobacco plants using a non-selection approach: chimerism or escape, transgene inheritance, and efficiency. Plant Cell Rep. 2009;28:373-86 pubmed publisher..Transgenes in these transgenic plants were able to transmit the transgene into progeny in a similar fashion as those recovered under selection. ..
- Breton S, Beaupré H, Stewart D, Piontkivska H, Karmakar M, Bogan A, et al. Comparative mitochondrial genomics of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionoida) with doubly uniparental inheritance of mtDNA: gender-specific open reading frames and putative origins of replication. Genetics. 2009;183:1575-89 pubmed publisher..We propose that unassigned regions are the most promising candidate sequences in which to find regulatory and/or gender-specific sequences that could determine whether a mitochondrial genome will be maternally or paternally transmitted. ..
- Herman J, Sultan S, Horgan Kobelski T, Riggs C. Adaptive transgenerational plasticity in an annual plant: grandparental and parental drought stress enhance performance of seedlings in dry soil. Integr Comp Biol. 2012;52:77-88 pubmed publisher..Possible implications of these environmentally-induced, inherited adaptations are discussed with respect to ecological distribution, persistence under novel stresses, and evolution in natural populations. ..
- Burton N, Burkhart K, Kennedy S. Nuclear RNAi maintains heritable gene silencing in Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:19683-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that siRNA expression is heritable in C. elegans and define an RNAi pathway that promotes the maintenance of RNAi silencing and siRNA expression in the progeny of animals exposed to dsRNA. ..
- Preuss K, Lopez J, Colbourne J, Wade M. Identification of maternally-loaded RNA transcripts in unfertilized eggs of Tribolium castaneum. BMC Genomics. 2012;13:671 pubmed publisher..These transcriptionally active regions represent novel exons of potentially unknown genes for future study. Our results lay a foundation for utilizing T. castaneum as a model for understanding the role of maternal genes in evolution. ..
- ..In the age of the phenotype, studies that examine the genomic and developmental changes in relationships of traits across environments will shape the next chapter in our quest for understanding the evolution of complex characters. ..
- Schutte N, Nederend I, Hudziak J, Bartels M, de Geus E. Twin-sibling study and meta-analysis on the heritability of maximal oxygen consumption. Physiol Genomics. 2016;48:210-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the twin-sibling study and meta-analyses showed that from childhood to early adulthood genetic factors determine more than half of the individual differences in VÌ‡o2max. ..
- Malcom J. Smaller gene networks permit longer persistence in fast-changing environments. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14747 pubmed publisher..These results provide a link between genes and population dynamics that may be tested as the -omics and bioinformatics fields mature, and as we are able to determine the genetic basis of ecologically-relevant quantitative traits. ..
- Chapman E, Piontkivska H, Walker J, Stewart D, Curole J, Hoeh W. Extreme primary and secondary protein structure variability in the chimeric male-transmitted cytochrome c oxidase subunit II protein in freshwater mussels: evidence for an elevated amino acid substitution rate in the face of domain-specific purifying. BMC Evol Biol. 2008;8:165 pubmed publisher..All tolled, our data indicate that unionoidean bivalve MCOX2 is the first reported chimeric animal mtDNA-encoded protein. ..
- Byers P, Pyott S. Recessively inherited forms of osteogenesis imperfecta. Annu Rev Genet. 2012;46:475-97 pubmed publisher..These hopes are yet to be met, but the study of the recessively inherited forms of OI has illuminated the details of the collagen processing pathways. ..
- Seger J, Smith W, Perry J, Hunn J, Kaliszewska Z, Sala L, et al. Gene genealogies strongly distorted by weakly interfering mutations in constant environments. Genetics. 2010;184:529-45 pubmed publisher..A genealogical perspective on Hill-Robertson interference leads directly to a generalized background-selection model in which the effective population size is progressively reduced going back in time from the present. ..
- Yang L, Cheng E, Ozsoyoglu Z. Efficient path-based computations on pedigree graphs with compact encodings. BMC Bioinformatics. 2012;13 Suppl 3:S14 pubmed publisher..Both theoretical and experimental results demonstrate that our method is more scalable and efficient than previous methods in terms of time and space requirements. ..
- Guerrero Bosagna C, Skinner M. Epigenetic transgenerational effects of endocrine disruptors on male reproduction. Semin Reprod Med. 2009;27:403-8 pubmed publisher..An extrinsic epigenetic transgenerational process would involve an epigenetic alteration in a somatic tissue and require exposure at each generation to maintain the transgenerational phenotype. ..
- Núñez Palenius H, Cantliffe D, Huber D, Ciardi J, Klee H. Transformation of a muskmelon 'Galia' hybrid parental line (Cucumis melo L. var. reticulatus Ser.) with an antisense ACC oxidase gene. Plant Cell Rep. 2006;25:198-205 pubmed..These transgenic muskmelon male parental lines have potential for use in the production of 'Galia' F1 hybrids with improved shelf life...
- Johnstone K, DuBose A, Futtner C, Elmore M, Brannan C, Resnick J. A human imprinting centre demonstrates conserved acquisition but diverged maintenance of imprinting in a mouse model for Angelman syndrome imprinting defects. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:393-404 pubmed..This maternal imprinting defect results in expression of maternal Ube3a-as and repression of Ube3a in cis, providing evidence that Ube3a is regulated by its antisense and creating the first reported mouse model for AS imprinting defects...
- Chen J, Batta A, Zheng S, Fitzgibbon W, Ullian M, Yu H, et al. The missense mutation in Abcg5 gene in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) segregates with phytosterolemia but not hypertension. BMC Genet. 2005;6:40 pubmed
- Muralla R, Sweeney C, Stepansky A, Leustek T, Meinke D. Genetic dissection of histidine biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 2007;144:890-903 pubmed
- Martin DeLeon P, Zhang H, Morales C, Zhao Y, Rulon M, Barnoski B, et al. Spam1-associated transmission ratio distortion in mice: elucidating the mechanism. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2005;3:32 pubmed..We provide strong support for the LOS hypothesis, and have elucidated the mechanism of Spam1-associated TRD. ..
- Wirth M, Walton W, Federici B. Inheritance, stability, and dominance of cry resistance in Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae) selected with the three cry toxins of Bacillus thuringiensis subsp. israelensis. J Med Entomol. 2012;49:886-94 pubmed..thuringiensis Cry toxins at multiple loci in response to selection pressure and that cross-resistance to Cry11Ba was conferred by one of those loci...
- Burton K, McDermott D, Wilkes D, Poulsen M, Nolan M, Goldstein M, et al. Haploinsufficiency at the protein kinase A RI alpha gene locus leads to fertility defects in male mice and men. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:2504-13 pubmed
- Kayihan G, Huber D, Morse A, White T, Davis J. Genetic dissection of fusiform rust and pitch canker disease traits in loblolly pine. Theor Appl Genet. 2005;110:948-58 pubmed..The disease phenotyping described here is a critical step towards identifying specific loci and alleles associated with fusiform rust and pitch canker resistance...
- Cochrane R, Clark S, Harris A, Kream B. Rearrangement of a conditional allele regardless of inheritance of a Cre recombinase transgene. Genesis. 2007;45:17-20 pubmed..The incidence was 50 and 28% with Col2.3-Cre and Col3.6-Cre females, respectively, and 15 and 18% with Col2.3-Cre and Col3.6-Cre males, respectively. ..
- Peery E, Elmore M, Resnick J, Brannan C, Johnstone K. A targeted deletion upstream of Snrpn does not result in an imprinting defect. Mamm Genome. 2007;18:255-62 pubmed..These results indicate that no elements critical for AS-IC function in mouse reside within the 12.8-kb deleted region and suggest that the specific location of the AS-IC is not conserved between human and mouse. ..
- Gusev A, Shi H, Kichaev G, Pomerantz M, Li F, Long H, et al. Atlas of prostate cancer heritability in European and African-American men pinpoints tissue-specific regulation. Nat Commun. 2016;7:10979 pubmed publisher..Our findings showcase the power of integrating functional annotation with genetic data to understand the genetic basis of PrCa. ..
- Ah Fong A, Judelson H. New role for Cdc14 phosphatase: localization to basal bodies in the oomycete phytophthora and its evolutionary coinheritance with eukaryotic flagella. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e16725 pubmed publisher..An ancestral role of Cdc14 in the flagellar stage of eukaryotes is thereby proposed...
- Landrian I, McFarland K, Liu J, Mulligan C, Rasmussen A, Ashizawa T. Inheritance patterns of ATCCT repeat interruptions in spinocerebellar ataxia type 10 (SCA10) expansions. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175958 pubmed publisher..In addition, analysis of the interruption alleles across these families support a parsimonious single origin of the mutation with a shared distant ancestor. ..
- Quesada T, Gopal V, Cumbie W, Eckert A, Wegrzyn J, Neale D, et al. Association mapping of quantitative disease resistance in a natural population of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Genetics. 2010;186:677-86 pubmed publisher..We also discovered associated genes with unknown function, which would have remained undetected in a candidate gene approach constrained by annotation for disease resistance or stress response...
- Gorfine M, Berndt S, Chang Claude J, Hoffmeister M, Le Marchand L, Potter J, et al. Heritability Estimation using a Regularized Regression Approach (HERRA): Applicable to continuous, dichotomous or age-at-onset outcome. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181269 pubmed publisher..068 (SE = 0.017), 0.072 (SE = 0.021) and 0.110 (SE = 5.19 x 10-3). HERRA yields over 50% increase in heritability estimate compared to GCTA or LDAK. ..
- Finn E, Smith C, Rodriguez J, Sidow A, Baker J. Maternal bias and escape from X chromosome imprinting in the midgestation mouse placenta. Dev Biol. 2014;390:80-92 pubmed publisher..In all, we observe a striking preference for maternal transcription in the midgestation mouse placenta and a dynamic imprinting landscape in extraembryonic tissues, reflecting the complex nature of epigenetic pathways in the placenta. ..
- Weiser N, Yang D, Feng S, Kalinava N, Brown K, Khanikar J, et al. MORC-1 Integrates Nuclear RNAi and Transgenerational Chromatin Architecture to Promote Germline Immortality. Dev Cell. 2017;41:408-423.e7 pubmed publisher..Without MORC-1 and nuclear RNAi, MET-1-mediated encroachment of euchromatin leads to detrimental decondensation of germline chromatin and germline mortality. ..
- Nelson V, Heaney J, Tesar P, Davidson N, Nadeau J. Transgenerational epigenetic effects of the Apobec1 cytidine deaminase deficiency on testicular germ cell tumor susceptibility and embryonic viability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2766-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Apobec1 plays a central role in controlling TGCT susceptibility in both a conventional and a transgenerational manner...
- Buckley B, Burkhart K, Gu S, Spracklin G, Kershner A, Fritz H, et al. A nuclear Argonaute promotes multigenerational epigenetic inheritance and germline immortality. Nature. 2012;489:447-51 pubmed publisher..We propose that C. elegans use the RNAi inheritance machinery to transmit epigenetic information, accrued by past generations, into future generations to regulate important biological processes. ..
- Kidd L, Coulibaly A, Templeton T, Chen W, Long L, Mason T, et al. Germline BCL-2 sequence variants and inherited predisposition to prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2006;9:284-92 pubmed..Our data suggest that inherited BCL-2 variants may be associated with a decrease in prostate cancer susceptibility. ..
- Burusnukul P, De Los Reyes E. Phenotypic variations in 3 children with POLG1 mutations. J Child Neurol. 2009;24:482-6 pubmed publisher..T251I and p.P587L in the other. The aim of this communication is to report 3 pediatric cases associated with DNA polymerase gamma 1 mutations to augment the expanding clinical phenotype that has been previously reported. ..
- Chiang P, Spector E, McGregor T. Evidence suggesting digenic inheritance of Waardenburg syndrome type II with ocular albinism. Am J Med Genet A. 2009;149A:2739-44 pubmed publisher..We suggest that by studying OCA patients alongside WS patients with various pigmentation profiles we can facilitate further understanding of the pigmentation pathway...
- Roff D, Sokolovska N. Extra-nuclear effects on growth and development in the sand cricket Gryllus firmus. J Evol Biol. 2004;17:663-71 pubmed..This study demonstrates that extra-nuclear effects are important contributors to the phenotypic variation in life history traits of G. firmus...