Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in United States
Locale: United States
Publications180 found, 100 shown here
- Pan Y, Wang W, Xia Z. Assessment of adult neurogenesis in mice. Curr Protoc Toxicol. 2013;Chapter 12:Unit12.20 pubmed publisher..Curr. Protoc. Toxicol. 56:12.20.1-12.20.16. © 2013 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. ..
- Millen A, Tooze J, Subar A, Kahle L, Schatzkin A, Krebs Smith S. Differences between food group reports of low-energy reporters and non-low-energy reporters on a food frequency questionnaire. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:1194-203 pubmed publisher..Results did not vary greatly by sex or body mass index. It still remains unclear whether improvement in questionnaire design or additional tools or methods would lead to a decrease in differential reporting due to LER status on an FFQ. ..
- Harris W, Muhlebach M, Oster R, Knowles M, Noah T. Transforming growth factor-beta(1) in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from children with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2009;44:1057-64 pubmed publisher..Increased BALF TGF-beta(1) is associated with neutrophilic inflammation, diminished lung function and recent hospitalization. Further investigation is needed to address mechanisms behind these associations. ..
- Sartori Valinotti J, Venegas Pont M, LaMarca B, Romero D, Yanes L, Racusen L, et al. Rosiglitazone reduces blood pressure in female Dahl salt-sensitive rats. Steroids. 2010;75:794-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, PPARgamma activation reduces BP in INT and OVX females, but attenuates the salt sensitivity of BP in OVX only, likely due to increases in NO and in part to reductions in renal resident macrophages and inflammation. ..
- Nation D, Edland S, Bondi M, Salmon D, Delano Wood L, Peskind E, et al. Pulse pressure is associated with Alzheimer biomarkers in cognitively normal older adults. Neurology. 2013;81:2024-7 pubmed publisher..The relationship between PP and CSF biomarkers is age-dependent and observed only in participants in the fifth and sixth decades of life. ..
- Chen F, Rao J, Studzinski G. Specific association of increased cyclin-dependent kinase 5 expression with monocytic lineage of differentiation of human leukemia HL60 cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2000;67:559-66 pubmed..The transcriptional up-regulation of Cdk5 by 1,25D3 was not inhibited by olomoucine. These findings show that in human myeloid cells up-regulation of Cdk5 is specifically associated with the monocytic phenotype. ..
- Kamen D. Vitamin D in lupus - new kid on the block?. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2010;68:218-22 pubmed
- Blackshear J, Wysokinska E, Safford R, Thomas C, Stark M, Shapiro B, et al. Indexes of von Willebrand factor as biomarkers of aortic stenosis severity (from the Biomarkers of Aortic Stenosis Severity [BASS] study). Am J Cardiol. 2013;111:374-81 pubmed publisher..001), but BNP and the VWF latex agglutination immunoturbidic activity/VWF antigen ratio did not. In conclusion, the VWF activity indexes were associated with AS severity and bleeding and were predictive of cardiovascular outcomes. ..
- Harkey M, Asano A, Zoulas M, Torok Storb B, Nagashima J, Travis A. Isolation, genetic manipulation, and transplantation of canine spermatogonial stem cells: progress toward transgenesis through the male germ-line. Reproduction. 2013;146:75-90 pubmed publisher..These findings help to set the stage for generation of transgenic canine models via SSC transplantation. ..
- Zhou Q, Shima J, Nie R, Friel P, Griswold M. Androgen-regulated transcripts in the neonatal mouse testis as determined through microarray analysis. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1010-9 pubmed..The data generated in the present study may serve as a foundation for hypothesis-driven research and provide insights regarding gene networks and pathways under androgen control in the testis. ..
- Pareek G, Steele T, Nakada S. Urological intervention in patients with cystinuria is decreased with medical compliance. J Urol. 2005;174:2250-2, discussion 2252 pubmed..We describe a single urologist's experience (SYN) with the effects of medical management on the number of surgical interventions required in patients with cystinuria treated at our metabolic stone clinic (MSC)...
- White S, O Rourke K, Gidlewski T, VerCauteren K, Mousel M, Phillips G, et al. Increased risk of chronic wasting disease in Rocky Mountain elk associated with decreased magnesium and increased manganese in brain tissue. Can J Vet Res. 2010;74:50-3 pubmed..This study demonstrated that mineral analysis may provide an additional disease correlate for assessing CWD risk, particularly in conjunction with genotype. ..
- Dupont M, Wu Y, Hazen S, Tang W. Cystatin C identifies patients with stable chronic heart failure at increased risk for adverse cardiovascular events. Circ Heart Fail. 2012;5:602-9 pubmed..CysC is an independent predictor of adverse events in chronic heart failure. It adds prognostic value to creatinine, particularly in patients with preserved renal function. ..
- DiPetrillo K, Coutermarsh B, Gesek F. Urinary tumor necrosis factor contributes to sodium retention and renal hypertrophy during diabetes. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2003;284:F113-21 pubmed..We conclude that urinary TNF contributes to early diabetic nephropathy and may serve as a valuable diagnostic marker. Furthermore, inhibition of TNF during diabetes may attenuate early pathological changes in diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Jaffa A, Durazo Arvizu R, Zheng D, Lackland D, Srikanth S, Garvey W, et al. Plasma prekallikrein: a risk marker for hypertension and nephropathy in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2003;52:1215-21 pubmed
- Alkhouri N, Carter Kent C, Lopez R, Rosenberg W, Pinzani M, Bedogni G, et al. A combination of the pediatric NAFLD fibrosis index and enhanced liver fibrosis test identifies children with fibrosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;9:150-5 pubmed publisher..4% of children with NAFLD. In children with NAFLD, the combined results from the PNFI and ELF test can accurately assess the presence of liver fibrosis and identify patients that should be evaluated by liver biopsy. ..
- Cagas S, Jain M, Li H, Perlin D. The proteomic signature of Aspergillus fumigatus during early development. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011;10:M111.010108 pubmed publisher..fumigatus. It reveals a pathogen that is gearing up for rapid growth by building translation machinery, generating ATP, and is very much committed to aerobic metabolism. ..
- Tang W, Shrestha K, Wang Z, Troughton R, Klein A, Hazen S. Diminished global arginine bioavailability as a metabolic defect in chronic systolic heart failure. J Card Fail. 2013;19:87-93 pubmed publisher..GABR levels improved with beta-blocker therapy. ..
- Basuray A, French B, Ky B, Vorovich E, Olt C, Sweitzer N, et al. Heart failure with recovered ejection fraction: clinical description, biomarkers, and outcomes. Circulation. 2014;129:2380-7 pubmed publisher..However, these patients still have abnormalities in biomarkers and experience a significant number of HF hospitalizations, suggesting persistent HF risk. ..
- Wei T, Liao B, Ackermann B, Jolly R, Eckstein J, Kulkarni N, et al. Data-driven analysis approach for biomarker discovery using molecular-profiling technologies. Biomarkers. 2005;10:153-72 pubmed..Further experiments are needed to define their chemical identities and establish functional relevancy to disease development. ..
- Boscarino J. Psychobiologic predictors of disease mortality after psychological trauma: implications for research and clinical surveillance. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2008;196:100-7 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the morbidity associated with PTSD may be comparable to laboratory measures of disease pathology in common use and warrants further investigation and surveillance among at risk populations. ..
- Li W, Laird J, Lu L, Roychowdhury S, Nagy L, Zhou R, et al. Isolevuglandins covalently modify phosphatidylethanolamines in vivo: detection and quantitative analysis of hydroxylactam adducts. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;47:1539-52 pubmed publisher..4+/-0.1 ng/ml, n=15). Just as LG/isoLG-protein adducts provide a dosimeter of oxidative injury, this study suggests that LG/isoLG-PE-hydroxylactams are potential biomarkers for assessing risk for oxidative stress-stimulated diseases. ..
- Kim C, Bailey K, Klee G, Ellington A, Liu G, Mosley T, et al. Sex and ethnic differences in 47 candidate proteomic markers of cardiovascular disease: the Mayo Clinic proteomic markers of arteriosclerosis study. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9065 pubmed publisher..Plasma levels of several novel protein markers of CVD differ significantly in the context of sex and ethnicity. These results have implications for individualized CVD risk assessment. ..
- Burdick L, Lohser S, Losher S, Somach S, Billings S. Cutaneous collagenous vasculopathy: a rare cutaneous microangiopathy. J Cutan Pathol. 2012;39:741-6 pubmed publisher..The amorphous pink material is periodic acid-Schiff-positive and resistant to diastase. We describe a series of four patients with cutaneous collagenous vasculopathy and highlight its clinical and histopathologic features...
- Higgins M, Berridge B, Mills B, Schultze A, Gao H, Searfoss G, et al. Gene expression analysis of the acute phase response using a canine microarray. Toxicol Sci. 2003;74:470-84 pubmed..In summary, this new genomic tool successfully detected basal canine gene expression and identified novel aspects of the acute phase response in dog that shed new light on mechanisms underlying inflammatory processes...
- Wang H, Pineda V, Chan G, Wong S, Muglia L, Storm D. Type 8 adenylyl cyclase is targeted to excitatory synapses and required for mossy fiber long-term potentiation. J Neurosci. 2003;23:9710-8 pubmed..These data indicate that both synaptic and nonsynaptic cAMP signals, generated by different Ca2+-stimulated adenylyl cyclases, are required for mossy fiber LTP. ..
- Svetlov S, Xiang Y, Oli M, Foley D, Huang G, Hayes R, et al. Identification and preliminary validation of novel biomarkers of acute hepatic ischaemia/reperfusion injury using dual-platform proteomic/degradomic approaches. Biomarkers. 2006;11:355-69 pubmed..These data demonstrate the utility of ASS and EST-1 as novel sensitive and specific biomarkers of acute liver ischaemic injury for prospective clinical studies. ..
- Brown M, Trumble T, Merritt K. High-mobility group box chromosomal protein 1 as a potential inflammatory biomarker of joint injury in Thoroughbreds. Am J Vet Res. 2009;70:1230-5 pubmed publisher..Analysis of SF HMGB-1 concentrations may be useful for evaluation of joint injury in horses. ..
- McAllaster J, Cohen M. Role of the lymphatics in cancer metastasis and chemotherapy applications. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2011;63:867-75 pubmed publisher..The lymphatic system has recently been elucidated as playing an active role in cancer metastasis. The knowledge of the active processes involved in lymphatic metastasis provides novel treatment targets for various malignancies. ..
- Cosden Decker R, Bickett M, Lattermann C, MacLeod J. Structural and functional analysis of intra-articular interzone tissue in axolotl salamanders. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2012;20:1347-56 pubmed publisher..The data support the axolotl as a novel vertebrate model for joint development and repair. ..
- Sherwood C, Eastham A, Lee L, Risler J, Mirzaei H, Falkner J, et al. Rapid optimization of MRM-MS instrument parameters by subtle alteration of precursor and product m/z targets. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:3746-51 pubmed publisher..Results are easily visualized and quantified using the MRM software package Mr. M to determine the optimal instrument parameters for each transition. ..
- Pauley K, Satoh M, Pauley B, Dominguez Gutierrez P, Wallet S, Holliday L, et al. Formation of GW/P bodies as marker for microRNA-mediated regulation of innate immune signaling in THP-1 cells. Immunol Cell Biol. 2010;88:205-12 pubmed publisher..These data show that the increase in size and number of GWB may serve as a biomarker for miRNA-mediated gene regulation, and miR-146a has a significant role in the regulation of LPS-induced cytokine production in THP-1 cells...
- Nicholls S, Tang W, Brennan D, Brennan M, Mann S, Nissen S, et al. Risk prediction with serial myeloperoxidase monitoring in patients with acute chest pain. Clin Chem. 2011;57:1762-70 pubmed publisher..1% of patients. MPO concentrations are predictive of outcome up to 16 h after presentation with chest pain and predict events missed by cTnI testing, supporting a potential role in rapid patient triage. ..
- Knopman D, Jack C, Wiste H, Weigand S, Vemuri P, Lowe V, et al. Selective worsening of brain injury biomarker abnormalities in cognitively normal elderly persons with ?-amyloidosis. JAMA Neurol. 2013;70:1030-8 pubmed publisher..Although preclinical AD is currently only a research topic, the description of its brain structural changes will be critical for trials designed to prevent or forestall dementia due to AD. ..
- Unal E, Robinson C, Johnson D, Chang E. Second-trimester angiogenic factors as biomarkers for future-onset preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:211.e1-4 pubmed..Second-trimester placenta growth factor levels are altered in patients who had severe preeclampsia develop. ..
- Nixon K, Kim D, Potts E, He J, Crews F. Distinct cell proliferation events during abstinence after alcohol dependence: microglia proliferation precedes neurogenesis. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;31:218-29 pubmed publisher..This first report of microglia proliferation in a model of an AUD suggests that microgliosis could contribute to volume recovery in non-neurogenic regions during abstinence. ..
- Gonzalez M, Porterfield C, Eilen D, Marzouq R, Patel H, Patel A, et al. Quartiles of peak troponin are associated with long-term risk of death in type 1 and STEMI, but not in type 2 or NSTEMI patients. Clin Cardiol. 2009;32:575-83 pubmed publisher..Overall, peak cTn predicts the risk of MACE and death but not the risk of AMI. While in Type 1 and STEMI patients, QPTL are associated with risk of MACE and death, no association exists in type 2 or NSTEMI patients. ..
- Zhang X, Nagaraja H, Nadasdy T, Song H, McKinley A, Prosek J, et al. A composite urine biomarker reflects interstitial inflammation in lupus nephritis kidney biopsies. Kidney Int. 2012;81:401-6 pubmed publisher..Only 14% of the biopsies were misclassified. Thus, specific renal pathologic lesions can be modeled by composite biomarkers to noninvasively follow and adjust the treatment of lupus nephritis reflecting renal injury. ..
- Befort C, Klemp J, Austin H, Perri M, Schmitz K, Sullivan D, et al. Outcomes of a weight loss intervention among rural breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2012;132:631-9 pubmed publisher..The group phone-based treatment delivery approach may help disseminate effective weight control intervention to hard-to-reach breast cancer survivors. ..
- Fransson B, Karlstam E, Bergstrom A, Lagerstedt A, Park J, Evans M, et al. C-reactive protein in the differentiation of pyometra from cystic endometrial hyperplasia/mucometra in dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2004;40:391-9 pubmed..The most common clinical signs noted in the study were vaginal discharge, polyuria, polydipsia, lethargy, and gastrointestinal signs. A combination of three or more of these clinical signs was significantly associated with pyometra. ..
- Friedman S, Poliachik S, Carter G, Budech C, Bird T, Shaw D. The magnetic resonance imaging spectrum of facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2012;45:500-6 pubmed publisher..A varied pattern of edema and fatty replacement in muscles was shown. As a discrete biomarker, edema may be useful for following the clinical course of FSHD. Future work toward optimizing measurement is discussed. ..
- Stepp M, Folz R, Yu J, Zelko I. The c10orf10 gene product is a new link between oxidative stress and autophagy. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1843:1076-88 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that DEPP is a major hypoxia-inducible gene involved in the activation of autophagy and whose expression is regulated by oxidative stress. ..
- Chuang J, Van Emon J, Trejo R, Durnford J. Biological monitoring of 3-phenoxybenzoic acid in urine by an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Talanta. 2011;83:1317-23 pubmed publisher..8% for ELISA when using GC/MS as the reference method. The ELISA method has a suitable low detection limit for 3-PBA to assess pyrethroid exposures in non-occupational settings. ..
- Lovell K, Vasiljevik T, Araya J, Lozama A, Prevatt Smith K, Day V, et al. Semisynthetic neoclerodanes as kappa opioid receptor probes. Bioorg Med Chem. 2012;20:3100-10 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these findings suggest that different aromatic groups appended directly to the decalin core may be well tolerated by KOP receptors, and may generate further ligands with affinity and activity at KOP receptors. ..
- Chen C, Hogan M, Ward C. Purification of exosome-like vesicles from urine. Methods Enzymol. 2013;524:225-41 pubmed publisher..Here, we present a purification protocol that separates ELVs from THP and divides urinary ELVs into three distinct populations...
- Westmoreland J, Hancock C, Condie B. Neuronal development of embryonic stem cells: a model of GABAergic neuron differentiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;284:674-80 pubmed..These experiments outline the basic strategies and methods required for studies of GABAergic gene expression and regulation in ES-derived neuronal cultures. ..
- Miller S, Brown A, Farach Carson M, Kirn Safran C. HIP/RPL29 down-regulation accompanies terminal chondrocyte differentiation. Differentiation. 2003;71:322-36 pubmed..In conclusion, our data indicate that HIP/RPL29 constitutes an important novel regulator of chondrocytic growth and differentiation. ..
- Pike B, Flint J, Dave J, Lu X, Wang K, Tortella F, et al. Accumulation of calpain and caspase-3 proteolytic fragments of brain-derived alphaII-spectrin in cerebral spinal fluid after middle cerebral artery occlusion in rats. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2004;24:98-106 pubmed
- Kresty L, Frankel W, Hammond C, Baird M, Mele J, Stoner G, et al. Transitioning from preclinical to clinical chemopreventive assessments of lyophilized black raspberries: interim results show berries modulate markers of oxidative stress in Barrett's esophagus patients. Nutr Cancer. 2006;54:148-56 pubmed
- Garin E, Mu W, Arthur J, Rivard C, Araya C, Shimada M, et al. Urinary CD80 is elevated in minimal change disease but not in focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. Kidney Int. 2010;78:296-302 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study supports the hypothesis that MCD and FSGS represent two different diseases rather than a continuum of one disease. Urinary CD80 excretion may be a useful marker to differentiate between MCD and FSGS. ..
- Ryan S, Verghese S, Cianciola N, Cotton C, Carlin C. Autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease epithelial cell model reveals multiple basolateral epidermal growth factor receptor sorting pathways. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2732-45 pubmed publisher..They also indicate for the first time that the Bicc1 gene that is defective in the mouse model used in these studies regulates cargo-specific protein sorting mediated by the epithelial cell specific clathrin adaptor AP-1B. ..
- Hsia J, MacFadyen J, Monyak J, Ridker P. Cardiovascular event reduction and adverse events among subjects attaining low-density lipoprotein cholesterol <50 mg/dl with rosuvastatin. The JUPITER trial (Justification for the Use of Statins in Prevention: an Intervention Trial Evaluating Ros. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;57:1666-75 pubmed publisher
- Hu W, Watts K, Grossman M, Glass J, Lah J, Hales C, et al. Reduced CSF p-Tau181 to Tau ratio is a biomarker for FTLD-TDP. Neurology. 2013;81:1945-52 pubmed publisher..This study provides Class II evidence that the CSF p/t-Tau ratio distinguishes FTLD-TDP from FTLD-Tau. ..
- DiRienzo D. Effect of probiotics on biomarkers of cardiovascular disease: implications for heart-healthy diets. Nutr Rev. 2014;72:18-29 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, the probiotic L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 is a viable candidate both for future TLC dietary studies and as a potential option for inclusion in TLC dietary recommendations. ..
- Bearer C, Santiago L, O Riordan M, Buck K, Lee S, Singer L. Fatty Acid ethyl esters: quantitative biomarkers for maternal alcohol consumption. J Pediatr. 2005;146:824-30 pubmed..To develop a laboratory marker to identify newborns exposed to alcohol...
- Borda J, Alvarez X, Mohan M, Hasegawa A, Bernardino A, Jean S, et al. CD163, a marker of perivascular macrophages, is up-regulated by microglia in simian immunodeficiency virus encephalitis after haptoglobin-hemoglobin complex stimulation and is suggestive of breakdown of the blood-brain barrier. Am J Pathol. 2008;172:725-37 pubmed publisher
- Whiteaker J, Zhao L, Anderson L, Paulovich A. An automated and multiplexed method for high throughput peptide immunoaffinity enrichment and multiple reaction monitoring mass spectrometry-based quantification of protein biomarkers. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2010;9:184-96 pubmed publisher..The method is generally applicable to any protein or biological specimen of interest and holds great promise for analyzing large numbers of biomarker candidates. ..
- Bannikov G, Hinds C, Rajala Schultz P, Premanandan C, Rings D, Lakritz J. Serum haptoglobin-matrix metalloproteinase 9 (Hp-MMP 9) complex as a biomarker of systemic inflammation in cattle. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2011;139:41-9 pubmed publisher..The Hp-MMP 9 ELISA may be the serological test of choice in the determination of systemic inflammation associated with bacterial sepsis. ..
- Yang Q, Fields S, Zhang K, Ozawa M, Johnson S, Ealy A. Fibroblast growth factor 2 promotes primitive endoderm development in bovine blastocyst outgrowths. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:946-53 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that FGF2 and potentially other FGFs specify PE formation and mediate PE proliferation during early pregnancy in cattle. ..
- Niedzwiecki D, Iyer R, Borer P, Movileanu L. Sampling a biomarker of the human immunodeficiency virus across a synthetic nanopore. ACS Nano. 2013;7:3341-50 pubmed publisher..Moreover, using small solid-state nanopores, we demonstrate the ability to detect drug candidates that inhibit the binding interactions between NCp7 and SL3 RNA by using a test case of N-ethylmaleimide. ..
- Matsuo K, Nishimura M, Komurov K, Shahzad M, Ali Fehmi R, Roh J, et al. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha (PDGFRÎ±) targeting and relevant biomarkers in ovarian carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2014;132:166-75 pubmed publisher..MAPK and CCNB1 were downregulated only in the HeyA8-MDR model. These data identify IMC-3G3 as an attractive therapeutic strategy and identify potential predictive markers for further development. ..
- Su S, Zhu H, Xu X, Wang X, Dong Y, Kapuku G, et al. DNA methylation of the LY86 gene is associated with obesity, insulin resistance, and inflammation. Twin Res Hum Genet. 2014;17:183-91 pubmed publisher..02), insulin resistance (p = .001), and inflammatory markers (p < .001). By focusing on recent GWAS findings in genome-wide methylation profiles, we identified a solid association between LY86 gene DNA methylation and obesity. ..
- Freud A, Yokohama A, Becknell B, Lee M, Mao H, Ferketich A, et al. Evidence for discrete stages of human natural killer cell differentiation in vivo. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1033-43 pubmed
- NÃ©meth Z, CsÃ³ka B, Wilmanski J, Xu D, Lu Q, Ledent C, et al. Adenosine A2A receptor inactivation increases survival in polymicrobial sepsis. J Immunol. 2006;176:5616-26 pubmed..Similar to observations with A(2A)R KO mice, an A(2A)R antagonist increased survival even when administered in a delayed fashion. These studies demonstrate that A(2A)R blockade may be useful in the treatment of infection and sepsis. ..
- Tateya T, Tateya I, Bless D. Collagen subtypes in human vocal folds. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2006;115:469-76 pubmed
- Dweik R, Sorkness R, Wenzel S, Hammel J, Curran Everett D, Comhair S, et al. Use of exhaled nitric oxide measurement to identify a reactive, at-risk phenotype among patients with asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;181:1033-41 pubmed publisher..Grouping of asthma by Fe(NO) provides an independent classification of asthma severity, and among patients with severe asthma identifies the most reactive and worrisome asthma phenotype. ..
- Kassa R, Kasensa N, Monterroso V, Kayton R, Klimek J, David L, et al. On the biomarkers and mechanisms of konzo, a distinct upper motor neuron disease associated with food (cassava) cyanogenic exposure. Food Chem Toxicol. 2011;49:571-8 pubmed publisher..g. protein disulfide isomerase), and maintenance of the cytoskeleton integrity (e.g. ?-spectrin). Studies are needed to elucidate the role of the aformentioned modifications in the pathogenesis of cassava-associated motor-system disease...
- Jayachandran M, Miller V, Heit J, Owen W. Methodology for isolation, identification and characterization of microvesicles in peripheral blood. J Immunol Methods. 2012;375:207-14 pubmed publisher..This study provides a systematic methodology for MV isolation, identification and quantification, essential for development of MV as diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers of disease. ..
- Andersen Nissen E, Heit A, McElrath M. Profiling immunity to HIV vaccines with systems biology. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2012;7:32-7 pubmed publisher..Systems biology approaches to HIV vaccine evaluation are driving new methods of HIV vaccine immune response profiling in clinical trials and will hopefully lead to new improved HIV vaccines in the near future. ..
- Diaz K, Veerabhadrappa P, Kashem M, Thakkar S, Feairheller D, Sturgeon K, et al. Visit-to-visit and 24-h blood pressure variability: association with endothelial and smooth muscle function in African Americans. J Hum Hypertens. 2013;27:671-7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BP variability may influence the pathogenesis of CV disease, in part, through influences on vascular health. ..
- Cha S, Nagashima H, Peck A, Humphreys Beher M. IDD3 and IDD5 alleles from nod mice mediate Sjögren's syndrome-like autoimmunity. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002;506:1035-9 pubmed
- Lam K, Zhang L, Bewick M, Lafrenie R. HSG cells differentiated by culture on extracellular matrix involves induction of S-adenosylmethione decarboxylase and ornithine decarboxylase. J Cell Physiol. 2005;203:353-61 pubmed..This suggests that the adhesion-dependent expression of SAM-DC and ODC contributes to extracellular matrix-dependent HSG cell differentiation. ..
- Nakagawa T, Mazzali M, Kang D, Sanchez Lozada L, Herrera Acosta J, Johnson R. Uric acid--a uremic toxin?. Blood Purif. 2006;24:67-70 pubmed..In progressive renal disease, such as cyclosporine nephropathy and remnant kidney in rat, uric acid accelerated the progression of renal disease. Thus, we concluded that uric acid is not a simple marker, but a cause of renal disease. ..
- Boban I, Barisic Dujmovic T, Clark S. Parabiosis and transplantation models show no evidence of circulating dermal fibroblast progenitors in bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis. J Cell Physiol. 2008;214:230-7 pubmed..6GFP transgene in a non-collagen producing cell. Based on these observations, we found no evidence of circulating dermal fibroblast progenitors that participate in the development of bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis. ..
- Phillips C, Chesnutt M, Smith S. Extravascular lung water in sepsis-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome: indexing with predicted body weight improves correlation with severity of illness and survival. Crit Care Med. 2008;36:69-73 pubmed..Indexing extravascular lung water to predicted body weight, instead of actual body weight, improves the predictive value of extravascular lung water for survival and correlation with markers of disease severity. ..
- Pittock S, Lennon V. Aquaporin-4 autoantibodies in a paraneoplastic context. Arch Neurol. 2008;65:629-32 pubmed publisher..An eighth patient had monoclonal gammopathy. Aquaporin-4-specific IgG in some cases of NMO may reflect a paraneoplastic immune response. The clinical utility of this autoantibody as a cancer marker warrants prospective investigation. ..
- Winkelman C, Johnson K, Hejal R, Gordon N, Rowbottom J, Daly J, et al. Examining the positive effects of exercise in intubated adults in ICU: a prospective repeated measures clinical study. Intensive Crit Care Nurs. 2012;28:307-18 pubmed publisher..These results should encourage clinicians to add mobility protocols to the care of ICU adults and lead to future studies to determine optimal "dosing" of exercise in ICU patients. ..
- Wingard J. Have novel serum markers supplanted tissue diagnosis for invasive fungal infections in acute leukemia and transplantation?. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol. 2012;25:487-91 pubmed publisher..Improved survival rates from aspergillosis are, in part, due to earlier detection of infection and earlier therapy. ..
- Maatouk D, Resnick J. Continuing primordial germ cell differentiation in the mouse embryo is a cell-intrinsic program sensitive to DNA methylation. Dev Biol. 2003;258:201-8 pubmed..These results suggest that genomic demethylation of proliferative phase primordial germ cells is a mechanism by which germ cell maturation is coordinated...
- Stevens A, Chauhan S, Magann E, Martin R, Bofill J, Cushman J, et al. Fetal fibronectin and bacterial vaginosis are associated with preterm birth in women who are symptomatic for preterm labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004;190:1582-7; discussion 1587-9 pubmed..009; odds ratio, 165.90; 95% CI, 30.02, 916.08). Women who are symptomatic for preterm labor should be considered for fetal fibronectin and bacterial vaginosis testing. ..
- De Claro R, Zhu X, Tang J, Morgan Stevenson V, Schwartz B, Iwata A, et al. Hematopoietic Fas deficiency does not affect experimental atherosclerotic lesion formation despite inducing a proatherogenic state. Am J Pathol. 2011;178:2931-7 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that hematopoietic Fas deficiency does not affect early atherosclerotic lesion development in Ldlr(-/-) mice. ..
- Puranam R, Attardi G. The RNase P associated with HeLa cell mitochondria contains an essential RNA component identical in sequence to that of the nuclear RNase P. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:548-61 pubmed..The available evidence indicates that the levels of mtRNase P detected in HeLa cells should be fully adequate to satisfy the mitochondrial tRNA synthesis requirements of these cells. ..
- Berger J, Avison M, Mootoor Y, Beach C. Cerebrospinal fluid proteomics and human immunodeficiency virus dementia: preliminary observations. J Neurovirol. 2005;11:557-62 pubmed..In both serum and CSF samples, differences in protein intensity appeared to correlate with degree of dementia. This preliminary study suggests that protein markers of HIV dementia may be detected by MALDI mass spectrometry. ..
- Key P, Chung K, Hoguet J, Sapozhnikova Y, Fulton M. Effects of the anti-fouling herbicide Irgarol 1051 on two life stages of the grass shrimp, Palaemonetes pugio. J Environ Sci Health B. 2008;43:50-5 pubmed..Both lethal and sublethal effects associated with irgarol exposure were only observed at concentrations well above those reported in the environment...