Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in United States
Locale: United States
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- Hofer T, Marzetti E, Xu J, Seo A, Gulec S, Knutson M, et al. Increased iron content and RNA oxidative damage in skeletal muscle with aging and disuse atrophy. Exp Gerontol. 2008;43:563-70 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that RNA oxidation, possibly mediated by increased non-heme iron, might contribute to muscle atrophy due to disuse particularly in aged muscle...
- Brown L, Brown S. Zic2 is expressed in pluripotent cells in the blastocyst and adult brain expression overlaps with makers of neurogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:43-9 pubmed publisher..The presence of Zic2 in pluripotent cells of the embryo as well as in dividing neural cells in the adult suggests that this transcription factor may have a role in maintaining pluripotency. ..
- Chen L, Xuan J, Wang C, Shih I, Wang Y, Zhang Z, et al. Knowledge-guided multi-scale independent component analysis for biomarker identification. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:416 pubmed publisher..More importantly, the proposed approach shows promising results to infer novel biomarkers for ovarian cancer and extend current knowledge. ..
- Andrew A, Mason R, Memoli V, Duell E. Arsenic activates EGFR pathway signaling in the lung. Toxicol Sci. 2009;109:350-7 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to assess the clinical utility of targeting the EGFR pathway in subgroups of lung cancer patients who have been exposed to elevated levels of arsenic. ..
- Floriano P, Christodoulides N, Miller C, Ebersole J, Spertus J, Rose B, et al. Use of saliva-based nano-biochip tests for acute myocardial infarction at the point of care: a feasibility study. Clin Chem. 2009;55:1530-8 pubmed publisher..Complementary to ECG, saliva-based tests within lab-on-a-chip systems may provide a convenient and rapid screening method for cardiac events in prehospital stages for AMI patients. ..
- Haustein S, Kwun J, Fechner J, Kayaoglu A, Faure J, Roenneburg D, et al. Interleukin-15 receptor blockade in non-human primate kidney transplantation. Transplantation. 2010;89:937-44 pubmed publisher..Peritransplant IL-15 receptor blockade does not prolong allograft survival in non-human primate renal transplantation; however, it reduces the number of CD8 T cells and natural killer cells in the peripheral blood. ..
- Kern E, Erhard P, Sun W, Genuth S, Weiss M. Early urinary markers of diabetic kidney disease: a nested case-control study from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT). Am J Kidney Dis. 2010;55:824-34 pubmed publisher..Renal tubule stress may be more severe, reflecting abnormal renal tubule processing of AGE-modified proteins, in individuals susceptible to diabetic nephropathy. ..
- Afif W, Loftus E, Faubion W, Kane S, Bruining D, Hanson K, et al. Clinical utility of measuring infliximab and human anti-chimeric antibody concentrations in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2010;105:1133-9 pubmed publisher..Increasing the infliximab dose in patients who have HACAs is ineffective, whereas in patients with subtherapeutic infliximab concentrations, this strategy may be a good alternative to changing to another anti-TNF agent. ..
- Sagomonyants K, Hakim Zargar M, Jhaveri A, Aronow M, Gronowicz G. Porous tantalum stimulates the proliferation and osteogenesis of osteoblasts from elderly female patients. J Orthop Res. 2011;29:609-16 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, tantalum greatly stimulates cell proliferation, and improves the ability of HOBs from older patients to form bone...
- Goldstein J, Kominsky D, Jacobson N, Bowers B, Regalia K, Austin G, et al. Defective leukocyte GM-CSF receptor (CD116) expression and function in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology. 2011;141:208-16 pubmed publisher..001). These studies identify defective expression and function of CD116 as a distinguishing feature of IBD and implicate an associated defect in innate immune responses toward granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor. ..
- Hickson D, Burchfiel C, Liu J, Petrini M, Harrison K, White W, et al. Diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, and metabolic biomarkers in individuals with normal glucose tolerance are inversely associated with lung function: the Jackson Heart Study. Lung. 2011;189:311-21 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings generally support the hypothesis that diabetes, IGT, and increased levels of metabolic biomarkers in individuals with NGT are inversely associated with lung function in African Americans, independent of adiposity. ..
- Guyatt G, Eikelboom J, Gould M, Garcia D, Crowther M, Murad M, et al. Approach to outcome measurement in the prevention of thrombosis in surgical and medical patients: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141:e185S-e194S pubmed publisher..All approaches have their limitations. The optimal choice of approach depends on the nature of the evidence available. ..
- Toth P, Thakker K, Jiang P, Padley R. Niacin extended-release/simvastatin combination therapy produces larger favorable changes in high-density lipoprotein particles than atorvastatin monotherapy. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2012;8:39-44 pubmed publisher..In addition, NER/S treatment resulted in a significant change in HDL particle size distribution from small and medium to large. ..
- Ahmed K, Madhavan M, Prasad A. Brain natriuretic peptide in apical ballooning syndrome (Takotsubo/stress cardiomyopathy): comparison with acute myocardial infarction. Coron Artery Dis. 2012;23:259-64 pubmed publisher..4 (446.7, 3334.8) versus 97.4 (17.9, 264.7), P=0.04. BNP elevation is almost universal in ABS. Cardiac hemodynamic indices do not correlate with BNP levels. The magnitude of BNP elevation is higher in ABS compared with STEMI and NSTEMI. ..
- Puri R, Nissen S. The complementary roles of imaging and 'omics' for future anti-atherosclerotic drug development. Curr Pharm Des. 2013;19:5963-71 pubmed..These approaches will provide an opportunity to better understand atherosclerosis, its complications and effective treatments across multiple ethnic populations worldwide. ..
- Roy M, Janal M, Crosby J, Donnelly R. Inflammatory biomarkers and progression of diabetic retinopathy in African Americans with type 1 diabetes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:5471-80 pubmed publisher..In African Americans with T1DM, inflammation and endothelial dysfunction precede the development of DR, thus supporting the notion that inflammation may influence progression/incidence of disease. ..
- Keller K, Yang Y, Sun Y, Sykes R, Acott T, Wirtz M. Ankyrin repeat and suppressor of cytokine signaling box containing protein-10 is associated with ubiquitin-mediated degradation pathways in trabecular meshwork cells. Mol Vis. 2013;19:1639-55 pubmed..Our evidence suggests that ASB10 may play a role in ubiquitin-mediated degradation pathways in TM cells. ..
- Yoshida K, Kondo R, Wang Q, Doerschuk C. Neutrophil cytoskeletal rearrangements during capillary sequestration in bacterial pneumonia in rats. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:689-98 pubmed
- von Castel Roberts K, Morkbak A, Nexo E, Edgemon C, Maneval D, Shuster J, et al. Holo-transcobalamin is an indicator of vitamin B-12 absorption in healthy adults with adequate vitamin B-12 status. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85:1057-61 pubmed..Our results indicate that a vitamin B-12 absorption test based on measurement of holo-TC after administration of three 9-mug doses of vitamin B-12 should run for 24 h. ..
- Zakaria E, Campbell J, Peyton J, Garrison R. Postresuscitation tissue neutrophil infiltration is time-dependent and organ-specific. J Surg Res. 2007;143:119-25 pubmed..Direct peritoneal resuscitation prevents the early obligatory fluid sequestration and promotes early fluid mobilization. ..
- Myers S, Ali M. Haemoglobin adducts as biomarkers of exposure to tobacco-related nitrosamines. Biomarkers. 2008;13:145-59 pubmed
- Peralta E, Brewer A, Louis S, Dunnington G. Vitamin E increases biomarkers of estrogen stimulation when taken with tamoxifen. J Surg Res. 2009;153:143-7 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest that vitamin E supplements may interfere with the therapeutic effects of tamoxifen. ..
- Moreb J. Aldehyde dehydrogenase as a marker for stem cells. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther. 2008;3:237-46 pubmed..We raise questions that need to be investigated before a reasonable therapeutic strategy can be devised that will effectively inhibit ALDH activity. ..
- Wenzlau J, Moua O, Sarkar S, Yu L, Rewers M, Eisenbarth G, et al. SlC30A8 is a major target of humoral autoimmunity in type 1 diabetes and a predictive marker in prediabetes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1150:256-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SLC30A8 provides an important additional and independent predictive marker for T1D. ..
- Leidy H, Apolzan J, Mattes R, Campbell W. Food form and portion size affect postprandial appetite sensations and hormonal responses in healthy, nonobese, older adults. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18:293-9 pubmed publisher..larger portions suggest that appetite control is influenced by food form and portion size in older adults. These findings may enhance the development of appropriate dietary strategies that help to regulate energy balance. ..
- Aytekin M, Caylak E. [Hyaluronan and the importance of hyaluronan in diagnosis and treatment]. Tuberk Toraks. 2009;57:356-64 pubmed..In this review, we discussed the structure of hyaluronan and its role in diseases. ..
- Wang S. Epidemiology of vitamin D in health and disease. Nutr Res Rev. 2009;22:188-203 pubmed publisher..The majority of the literature included in the present review is selected from that searchable in PubMed up to the end of September 2008. ..
- Lee H, Arnouk H, Sripathi S, Chen P, Zhang R, Bartoli M, et al. Prohibitin as an oxidative stress biomarker in the eye. Int J Biol Macromol. 2010;47:685-90 pubmed publisher..Our proteomic approach implies that prohibitin in the RPE and the retina could be a new biomarker protein of oxidative stress in aging and diabetes. ..
- Holbrook T, McFarlane D, Schott H. Neuroendocrine and non-neuroendocrine markers of inflammation associated with performance in endurance horses. Equine Vet J Suppl. 2010;:123-8 pubmed publisher..Future studies evaluating the effect of training on these markers in endurance horses are warranted. ..
- Boxer R, Kenny A, Cheruvu V, Vest M, Fiutem J, Piña I. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration is associated with functional capacity in older adults with heart failure. Am Heart J. 2010;160:893-9 pubmed publisher..25-Hydroxyvitamin D may be an important marker or modulator of functional capacity in patients with heart failure. Randomized controlled trials are needed to assess the effect of vitamin D repletion on functional performance. ..
- Valdes P, Leblond F, Kim A, Harris B, Wilson B, Fan X, et al. Quantitative fluorescence in intracranial tumor: implications for ALA-induced PpIX as an intraoperative biomarker. J Neurosurg. 2011;115:11-7 pubmed publisher..This study is the first to measure quantitative ALA-induced PpIX concentrations in vivo, and the results have broad implications for guidance during resection of intracranial tumors. ..
- Chan C, Heinbokel J, Myers J, Jacobs R. Development and evaluation of a dynamic model that projects population biomarkers of methylmercury exposure from local fish consumption. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2011;7:624-35 pubmed publisher..Projected biomarkers were not different from literature sources. The model can be used as a tool to understand the impact of local fish consumption on susceptible populations. ..
- Walia V, Yu Y, Cao D, Sun M, McLean J, Hollier B, et al. Loss of breast epithelial marker hCLCA2 promotes epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and indicates higher risk of metastasis. Oncogene. 2012;31:2237-46 pubmed publisher..Loss of hCLCA2 may allow escape from pHi homeostatic mechanisms, permitting the higher intracellular and lower extracellular pH that are characteristic of aggressive tumor cells. ..
- Nunes S, Rekapally H, Chang C, Hoying J. Vessel arterial-venous plasticity in adult neovascularization. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e27332 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that vessels of arterial identity also hold the potential to undergo sprouting angiogenesis. ..
- Krokowicz L, Klimczak A, Cwykiel J, Mielniczuk M, Grykien C, Siemionow M. Pulsed acoustic cellular expression as a protective therapy against I/R injury in a cremaster muscle flap model. Microvasc Res. 2012;83:213-22 pubmed publisher..Both types of PACE conditioning ameliorated deleterious effect of ischemia-reperfusion injury on microcirculatory hemodynamics of muscle flaps. ..
- DiSilvestro R, Joseph E, Zhang W, Raimo A, Kim Y. A randomized trial of copper supplementation effects on blood copper enzyme activities and parameters related to cardiovascular health. Metabolism. 2012;61:1242-6 pubmed publisher..In this test population, increased copper intake raised copper enzyme activities, but did not consistently improve the cardiovascular health measures studied. ..
- Satoh M, Chan J, Ross S, Li Y, Yamasaki Y, Yamada H, et al. Autoantibodies to transcription intermediary factor TIF1? associated with dermatomyositis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R79 pubmed publisher..Anti-TIF1? is a new DM autoantibody associated with a mild form of myopathy. Whether it has an association with malignancy, as in the case of anti-TIF1?, or other unique features will need to be evaluated in future studies. ..
- Omata J, Pierre J, Heneghan A, Tsao F, Sano Y, Jonker M, et al. Parenteral nutrition suppresses the bactericidal response of the small intestine. Surgery. 2013;153:17-24 pubmed publisher..PN feeding resulted in suppressed secretion of the sPLA2 and resulted in increased bacterial survival. This demonstrates that PN significantly impairs the innate immune response by suppressing Paneth cell function. ..
- Furuta G, Kagalwalla A, Lee J, Alumkal P, Maybruck B, Fillon S, et al. The oesophageal string test: a novel, minimally invasive method measures mucosal inflammation in eosinophilic oesophagitis. Gut. 2013;62:1395-405 pubmed publisher..The EST is a novel, minimally invasive device for measuring oesophageal eosinophilic inflammation in children with EoE. ..
- Bain J, Lester S, Henry W, Pongetti J, Blackman M, Johnson R. Association between maternal periapical lesions and brain inflammation in rat pups. Arch Oral Biol. 2013;58:266-71 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that brain inflammation may be associated with maternal periapical inflammation. This association identifies a modifiable risk factor for adverse pregnancy outcomes. ..
- Meehan T, Vasilevsky N, Mungall C, Dougall D, Haendel M, Blake J, et al. Ontology based molecular signatures for immune cell types via gene expression analysis. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14:263 pubmed publisher..This work demonstrates the utility of incorporating structured ontological knowledge into biological data analysis - providing a new method for defining novel biomarkers and providing an opportunity for new biological insights. ..
- Bamias G, Jia L, Cominelli F. The tumor necrosis factor-like cytokine 1A/death receptor 3 cytokine system in intestinal inflammation. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2013;29:597-602 pubmed publisher..TL1A/DR3 interactions may participate in the pathogenesis of chronic intestinal inflammation and offer novel therapeutic targets for patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. ..
- Bjartmar C, Battistuta J, Terada N, Dupree E, Trapp B. N-acetylaspartate is an axon-specific marker of mature white matter in vivo: a biochemical and immunohistochemical study on the rat optic nerve. Ann Neurol. 2002;51:51-8 pubmed..In addition, the results indicate that neuronal adaptation can increase N-acetylaspartate levels, and that 5 to 20% of the N-acetylaspartate in developing white matter is synthesized by proliferating oligodendrocyte progenitor cells. ..
- Marchi N, Fazio V, Cucullo L, Kight K, Masaryk T, Barnett G, et al. Serum transthyretin monomer as a possible marker of blood-to-CSF barrier disruption. J Neurosci. 2003;23:1949-55 pubmed..Because TTR is localized primarily in choroid plexus and, as a soluble monomer, in CSF, we concluded that although S-100beta is a marker of BBB integrity, TTR instead may be a peripheral tracer of blood-to-cerebrospinal barrier. ..
- Vesosky B, Turner O, Turner J, Orme I. Activation marker expression on bovine peripheral blood gammadelta T cells during post-natal development and following vaccination with a commercial polyvalent viral vaccine. Dev Comp Immunol. 2003;27:439-47 pubmed
- Klein R, Hunter S, Jenkins A, Zheng D, Semler A, Clore J, et al. Fibrinogen is a marker for nephropathy and peripheral vascular disease in type 1 diabetes: studies of plasma fibrinogen and fibrinogen gene polymorphism in the DCCT/EDIC cohort. Diabetes Care. 2003;26:1439-48 pubmed..045). Last, hyperfibrinogenemia in type 1 diabetes is associated with components of the insulin resistance syndrome trait cluster, and the association is influenced by sex. ..
- Pieper R, Gatlin C, McGrath A, Makusky A, Mondal M, Seonarain M, et al. Characterization of the human urinary proteome: a method for high-resolution display of urinary proteins on two-dimensional electrophoresis gels with a yield of nearly 1400 distinct protein spots. Proteomics. 2004;4:1159-74 pubmed..Particularly, the decrease in abundance of the kininogen 2-DE gel spot train in urine after surgery was striking. ..
- Ottem E, Godwin J, Krishnan S, Petersen S. Dual-phenotype GABA/glutamate neurons in adult preoptic area: sexual dimorphism and function. J Neurosci. 2004;24:8097-105 pubmed..Thus, we propose a new model for ovulation that includes dual-phenotype GABA/glutamate neurons as central transducers of hormonal and neural signals to GnRH neurons. ..
- Chen X, Chang L. Mycoplasma-mediated alterations of in vitro generation and functions of human dendritic cells. J Biomed Sci. 2005;12:31-46 pubmed..The distinct effects of mycoplasmas on DC differentiation described in this report could potentially benefit future development of DC-based vaccination and therapeutic applications. ..
- Samara K, Liu C, Soldevila Pico C, Nelson D, Abdelmalek M. Betaine resolves severe alcohol-induced hepatitis and steatosis following liver transplantation. Dig Dis Sci. 2006;51:1226-9 pubmed
- Mrozek K, Dohner H, Bloomfield C. Influence of new molecular prognostic markers in patients with karyotypically normal acute myeloid leukemia: recent advances. Curr Opin Hematol. 2007;14:106-14 pubmed..The discovery of new prognostic markers has increased our understanding of leukemogenesis and may lead to improved prognostication and generation of novel risk-adapted therapies. ..
- Roy S, Shah H, Rink C, Khanna S, Bagchi D, Bagchi M, et al. Transcriptome of primary adipocytes from obese women in response to a novel hydroxycitric acid-based dietary supplement. DNA Cell Biol. 2007;26:627-39 pubmed..Although HCA-SX seems to be conditionally effective in weight management in experimental animals and in humans, its mechanism of action remains unclear...
- Mones R, Atienza K, Youssef N, Verga B, Mercer G, Rosh J. Celiac crisis in the modern era. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;45:480-3 pubmed
- Pittock S, Lennon V, De Seze J, Vermersch P, Homburger H, Wingerchuk D, et al. Neuromyelitis optica and non organ-specific autoimmunity. Arch Neurol. 2008;65:78-83 pubmed publisher..Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders with seropositive findings for NMO-IgG occurring with SS/SLE or non-organ-specific autoantibodies is an indication of coexisting NMO rather than a vasculopathic or other complication of SS/SLE. ..
- Lane M, White T, Coutts M, Jones A, Sandhu M, Bloom D, et al. Cervical prephrenic interneurons in the normal and lesioned spinal cord of the adult rat. J Comp Neurol. 2008;511:692-709 pubmed publisher..Their connectivity and relative stability after cervical hemisection raise speculation for potentially diverse roles in modulating phrenic function normally and postinjury. ..
- ..The availability of inexpensive sensors for wide-scale deployment will transform society in terms of health care as well as home and workplace monitoring. ..
- Miller P. Fragility fractures in chronic kidney disease: an opinion-based approach. Cleve Clin J Med. 2009;76:715-23 pubmed publisher..However, even if the patient has osteoporosis, we have little evidence to guide our treatment decisions in cases of advanced chronic kidney disease. ..
- Rudra C, Williams M, Sheppard L, Koenig J, Schiff M, Frederick I, et al. Relation of whole blood carboxyhemoglobin concentration to ambient carbon monoxide exposure estimated using regression. Am J Epidemiol. 2010;171:942-51 pubmed publisher..Monthly estimated CO exposure was moderately correlated with an exposure biomarker. These results support the validity of this regression model for estimating ambient CO exposures in this population and geographic setting. ..
- Pendergrass S, Hayes E, Farina G, Lemaire R, Farber H, Whitfield M, et al. Limited systemic sclerosis patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension show biomarkers of inflammation and vascular injury. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12106 pubmed publisher..The identification and characterization of biomarkers for lSSc-PAH should lead to less invasive screening, a better understanding of pathogenesis, and improved treatment...
- Hartsock L, Barfield W, Kokko K, Liles L, Wind T, Green J, et al. Randomized prospective clinical trial comparing reamer irrigator aspirator (RIA) to standard reaming (SR) in both minimally injured and multiply injured patients with closed femoral shaft fractures treated with reamed intramedullary nailing (IMN). Injury. 2010;41 Suppl 2:S94-8 pubmed publisher..Reaming and intramedullary fixation may cause an increase in IL-6 levels regardless of reamer type. Further investigations with a larger cohort of patients are desirable. ..
- Ezashi T, Matsuyama H, Telugu B, Roberts R. Generation of colonies of induced trophoblast cells during standard reprogramming of porcine fibroblasts to induced pluripotent stem cells. Biol Reprod. 2011;85:779-87 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, reprogramming of porcine fibroblasts to iPS cells generates, as a by-product, colonies composed of self-renewing populations of TR cells, possibly containing TR stem cells. ..
- Govindan S, McElligott A, Muthusamy S, Nair N, Barefield D, Martin J, et al. Cardiac myosin binding protein-C is a potential diagnostic biomarker for myocardial infarction. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012;52:154-64 pubmed publisher..The presence of elevated levels of cMyBP-C in the blood provides a promising novel biomarker able to accurately rule in MI, thus aiding in the further assessment of ischemic heart disease...
- Phillips M, Basa Dalay V, Blais J, Bothamley G, Chaturvedi A, Modi K, et al. Point-of-care breath test for biomarkers of active pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2012;92:314-20 pubmed publisher..A six-minute point-of-care breath test for volatile biomarkers accurately identified subjects with active pulmonary TB. ..
- Lopes Virella M, Hunt K, Baker N, Virella G, Moritz T. The levels of MDA-LDL in circulating immune complexes predict myocardial infarction in the VADT study. Atherosclerosis. 2012;224:526-31 pubmed publisher..08 and 1.31 for MI and 0.91 and 1.34 for composite endpoint. Our study indicates that high levels of MDA-LDL in isolated IC predict future MI and acute CV events in patients with type 2 diabetes. ..
- Delvaux E, Bentley K, Stubbs V, Sabbagh M, Coleman P. Differential processing of amyloid precursor protein in brain and in peripheral blood leukocytes. Neurobiol Aging. 2013;34:1680-6 pubmed publisher..Although our data on differential processing of APP in brain and PBL point to exercising caution when generalizing between blood and brain with regard to mechanisms, they have no implications regarding utility as biomarkers. ..
- Hayes D, Deeny M, Shaner C, Nixon K. Determining the threshold for alcohol-induced brain damage: new evidence with gliosis markers. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:425-34 pubmed publisher..Little is known about the threshold of the damaging effects of alcohol. Therefore, these experiments sought to determine a threshold for brain damage using various markers of neurodegeneration...
- Askovich P, Sanders C, Rosenberger C, Diercks A, Dash P, Navarro G, et al. Differential host response, rather than early viral replication efficiency, correlates with pathogenicity caused by influenza viruses. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74863 pubmed publisher..Because influenza infection extending into the lung generally results in severe disease, early activation of these pathways may be one factor distinguishing high- and low-pathogenicity strains. ..
- Perez S, Rebelo S, Anderson D. Early specification of sensory neuron fate revealed by expression and function of neurogenins in the chick embryo. Development. 1999;126:1715-28 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that a subset of neural crest cells may already be specified for a sensory neuron fate early in migration, as a consequence of NGN expression. ..
- Gennuso K, Gangnon R, Matthews C, Thraen Borowski K, Colbert L. Sedentary behavior, physical activity, and markers of health in older adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2013;45:1493-500 pubmed publisher..Thus, older adults may benefit from the joint prescription to accumulate adequate MVPA and avoid prolonged sitting. ..
- Christenson L, Gunewardena S, Hong X, Spitschak M, Baufeld A, Vanselow J. Research resource: preovulatory LH surge effects on follicular theca and granulosa transcriptomes. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:1153-71 pubmed publisher..This Research Resource provides an easy-to-access global evaluation of LH regulation in TCs and GCs that implicates numerous molecular pathways heretofore unknown within the follicle. ..
- Kniss D, Xie Y, Li Y, Kumar S, Linton E, Cohen P, et al. ED(27) trophoblast-like cells isolated from first-trimester chorionic villi are genetically identical to HeLa cells yet exhibit a distinct phenotype. Placenta. 2002;23:32-43 pubmed..These results point out the need for adherence to rigorous and consistent quality control measures to assure the authenticity of cell lines used as in vitro model systems...
- Allen E, Bakke A, Purtzer M, Deodhar A. Neutrophil CD64 expression: distinguishing acute inflammatory autoimmune disease from systemic infections. Ann Rheum Dis. 2002;61:522-5 pubmed..These results indicate that quantitative measurement of CD64 can distinguish between systemic infection and the flare of autoimmune diseases. ..
- Ruiz R, Jallo N, Murphey C, Marti C, Godbold E, Pickler R. Second trimester maternal plasma levels of cytokines IL-1Ra, Il-6 and IL-10 and preterm birth. J Perinatol. 2012;32:483-90 pubmed publisher..Future research should focus on the changes in cytokines during pregnancy to identify critical periods of change, and examine predictors of the cytokine response. ..
- Carter A, Aggarwal M, Kopia G, Tio F, Tsao P, Kolata R, et al. Long-term effects of polymer-based, slow-release, sirolimus-eluting stents in a porcine coronary model. Cardiovasc Res. 2004;63:617-24 pubmed..Long-term inhibition of neointimal hyperplasia is not sustained presumably due to delayed cellular proliferation despite increased levels of the cyclin-dependent kinase p27(kip1) in the vessel wall. ..
- Davis M, Andres J, Jolley C, Novak D, Haafiz A, Gonzalez Peralta R. Antibodies to Escherichia coli outer membrane porin C in the absence of anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies and anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies are an unreliable marker of Crohn disease and ulcerative colitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;45:409-13 pubmed..Anti-OmpC, in the absence of ASCA and ANCA, is a serological pattern noted in a subset of medically complex cases in children and young adults without CD or UC. ..
- Sanders T, Liu Y, Buchner V, Tchounwou P. Neurotoxic effects and biomarkers of lead exposure: a review. Rev Environ Health. 2009;24:15-45 pubmed
- Handler A. A current perspective on insect gene transformation. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;31:111-28 pubmed
- Butenas S, Undas A, Gissel M, Szuldrzynski K, Zmudka K, Mann K. Factor XIa and tissue factor activity in patients with coronary artery disease. Thromb Haemost. 2008;99:142-9 pubmed publisher..59 and 0.39, respectively) and between FXIa and TAT (R(2) = 0.64 and 0.63, respectively). In conclusion, the majority of ACS and CAD-MI patients have circulating FXIa that correlates with markers of coagulation and inflammation. ..
- O Donnell B, Vohs J, Krishnan G, Rass O, Hetrick W, Morzorati S. The auditory steady-state response (ASSR): a translational biomarker for schizophrenia. Suppl Clin Neurophysiol. 2013;62:101-12 pubmed..This translational, cross-species approach provides support for the role of N-methyl-D-aspartate and GABAergic dysregulation in the genesis of perturbed ASSRs in schizophrenia and persons at risk. ..
- Baim S, Miller P. Assessing the clinical utility of serum CTX in postmenopausal osteoporosis and its use in predicting risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw. J Bone Miner Res. 2009;24:561-74 pubmed publisher..Last, the appropriateness of using sCTX to predict ONJ risk in women receiving oral bisphosphonates for PMO is evaluated...
- Trammell R, Cox L, Toth L. Markers for heightened monitoring, imminent death, and euthanasia in aged inbred mice. Comp Med. 2012;62:172-8 pubmed..Validated markers of clinical decline or imminent death can allow the use of endpoints that reduce terminal distress, do not significantly affect longevity or survival data, and permit timely collection of biologic samples...
- Flammer A, Gossl M, Li J, Matsuo Y, Reriani M, Loeffler D, et al. Patients with an HbA1c in the prediabetic and diabetic range have higher numbers of circulating cells with osteogenic and endothelial progenitor cell markers. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:4761-8 pubmed publisher..Whether these cells increase vascular calcification in (pre-)diabetes warrants further studies. ..
- Faubion W, Fletcher J, O Byrne S, Feagan B, de Villiers W, Salzberg B, et al. EMerging BiomARKers in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (EMBARK) study identifies fecal calprotectin, serum MMP9, and serum IL-22 as a novel combination of biomarkers for Crohn's disease activity: role of cross-sectional imaging. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013;108:1891-900 pubmed publisher..Combinations of fecal calprotectin and serum MMP9 for UC, and combinations of fecal calprotectin, serum MMP9, and serum interleukin-22 in CD, demonstrated the strongest association with imaging/endoscopy-defined inflammation. ..
- Kelley T, Beck R, Absi A, Jin T, Pohlman B, Hsi E. Biologic predictors in follicular lymphoma: importance of markers of immune response. Leuk Lymphoma. 2007;48:2403-11 pubmed..In subset analysis, ef-CD68 remained statistically significant in rituximab-naïve but not rituximab-treated patients. We confirm the importance of LAMs and f-FOXP3 as predictors of OS in FL. ..
- Goo Y, Cain K, Jarrett M, Smith L, Voss J, Tolentino E, et al. Urinary proteome analysis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptom subgroups. J Proteome Res. 2012;11:5650-62 pubmed publisher..These findings warrant future studies with larger, independent cohorts to enable more extensive assessment and validation of urinary protein markers as a diagnostic tool in adults with IBS. ..