Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in Japan
- Yamamoto H, Inomata M, Tsuchiya S, Nakamura M, Uchiyama T, Oritani T. Early biosynthetic pathway to abscisic acid in Cercospora cruenta. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:2075-82 pubmed..These results suggest that (2Z,4E)-gamma-ionylideneacetaldehyde can be a key ABA biosynthetic intermediate formed by the oxidative cleavage of a carotenoid precursor. ..
- Li Q, Ogawa J, Schmid R, Shimizu S. Residue size at position 87 of cytochrome P450 BM-3 determines its stereoselectivity in propylbenzene and 3-chlorostyrene oxidation. FEBS Lett. 2001;508:249-52 pubmed..0 to 37.4, 26.0 and -15.6% e.e., respectively, and in increases in those of produced (R)-(+)-3-chlorostyrene oxide from -61.0 to -38.0, 67.0 and 94.6% e.e., respectively. ..
- Nakajima S, Saijo Y, Kato S, Sasaki S, Uno A, Kanagami N, et al. Effects of prenatal exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls and dioxins on mental and motor development in Japanese children at 6 months of age. Environ Health Perspect. 2006;114:773-8 pubmed..In conclusion, the background-level exposure of several isomers of dioxins during the prenatal period probably affects the motor development of 6-month-old infants more than it does their mental development. ..
- Ito A, Yasumoto K, Kasai R, Yamasaki K. A sterol with an unusual side chain from Anoectochilus koshunensis. Phytochemistry. 1994;36:1465-7 pubmed..The structure of the new sterol was elucidated as 26-methylstigmasta-5,22,25, (27)-trien-3 beta-ol based on chemical and detailed spectroscopic evidence. ..
- Shinka T, Kuhara T. Quantification of urinary 5-aminolevulinic acid by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2004;806:19-23 pubmed..4 mmol/mol creatinine and 0.54+/- 0.49 mmol/mol creatinine (n = 7), respectively, were detected. Less than 0.2 ml urine was sufficient for the determination of 5-aminolevulinic acid in healthy subjects. ..
- Tagawa N, Kusuda S, Kobayashi Y. C16 hydroxylation of 3beta-hydroxy-delta5-steroids during the early neonatal period. Biol Pharm Bull. 1997;20:1295-9 pubmed..On the other hand, there were no significant differences between the 16-OH-DHEA S/DHEA S ratios of the three groups at days 0, 1-6 or 7-13. The mechanism of differences in the 16-hydroxylation of Preg S and DHEA S is also discussed. ..
- Fujihara T, Nakagawa Izumi A, Ozawa T, Numata O. High-molecular-weight polyphenols from oolong tea and black tea: purification, some properties, and role in increasing mitochondrial membrane potential. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2007;71:711-9 pubmed..These results suggest that MAFs are heterogeneous polymers of flavan-3-ols and flavan-3-ol gallates with intermonomeric linkages of B-ring to B-ring and C-ring to A-ring. ..
- Takeyama H, Takeda D, Yazawa K, Yamada A, Matsunaga T. Expression of the eicosapentaenoic acid synthesis gene cluster from Shewanella sp. in a transgenic marine cyanobacterium, Synechococcus sp. Microbiology. 1997;143 ( Pt 8):2725-31 pubmed..The yield was further improved to 0.64 mg (g dry weight)-1 by incubation for 1 d at 17 degrees C. This is believed to be the first successful cloning and expression of such a large heterologous gene cluster in a marine cyanobacterium. ..
- Isobe K, Tarao M, Zakaria M, Chiem N, Minh L, Takada H. Quantitative application of fecal sterols using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry to investigate fecal pollution in tropical waters: western Malaysia and Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36:4497-507 pubmed..On the basis of these criteria, extensive monitoring of sediments suggests that poor sanitary conditions exist in most of the urbanized area of Malaysia and in several urban and rural sites in Vietnam. ..
- Katayama M, Kawata M, Yoshida Y, Horiuchi H, Yamamoto T, Matsuura Y, et al. The posttranslationally modified C-terminal structure of bovine aortic smooth muscle rhoA p21. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:12639-45 pubmed..These results suggest that rhoA p21 is first geranylgeranylated followed by removal of the three C-terminal amino acids and the subsequent carboxyl methylation of the exposed cysteine residue. ..
- Tsuji S, Nakanoi M, Terada H, Tamura Y, Tonogai Y. Determination and confirmation of five phenolic antioxidants in foods by LC/MS and GC/MS. Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2005;46:63-71 pubmed..The antioxidants spiked into nikuman, olive oil, peanut butter, pasta sauce and chewing gum were successfully identified and their concentrations determined by LC/MS, and GC/MS with good recoveries. ..
- Abe N, Sugimoto O, Arakawa T, Tanji K, Hirota A. Sorbicillinol, a key intermediate of bisorbicillinoid biosynthesis in Trichoderma sp. USF-2690. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:2271-9 pubmed
- Morishige T, Dubouzet E, Choi K, Yazaki K, Sato F. Molecular cloning of columbamine O-methyltransferase from cultured Coptis japonica cells. Eur J Biochem. 2002;269:5659-67 pubmed..The relationship between the structure and substrate recognition of the O-methyltransferases involved in isoquinoline alkaloid biosynthesis, and a reconsideration of the biosynthetic pathway to palmatine are discussed...
- Iuchi S, Kobayashi M, Taji T, Naramoto M, Seki M, Kato T, et al. Regulation of drought tolerance by gene manipulation of 9-cis-epoxycarotenoid dioxygenase, a key enzyme in abscisic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant J. 2001;27:325-33 pubmed..We improved drought tolerance by gene manipulation of AtNCED3 causing the accumulation of endogenous ABA. ..
- Honda Y, Honda K, Omura H. Major components in the hairpencil secretion of a butterfly, Euploea mulciber (Lepidoptera, Danaidae): their origins and male behavioral responses to pyrrolizidine alkaloids. J Insect Physiol. 2006;52:1043-53 pubmed
- Akihiro T, Koike S, Tani R, Tominaga T, Watanabe S, Iijima Y, et al. Biochemical mechanism on GABA accumulation during fruit development in tomato. Plant Cell Physiol. 2008;49:1378-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that GAD and GABA-TK play crucial roles in GABA accumulation and catabolism, respectively, in tomato fruits. ..
- Ooki A, Yokouchi Y. Development of a silicone membrane tube equilibrator for measuring partial pressures of volatile organic compounds in natural water. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:5706-11 pubmed..CH2Br2, CHCl3, CHBrCl2, CH2BrCl, C2H5I, C2Cl4, CH3I, and CH3Br in the lake were supersaturated with respect to the air, whereas CH3CI was undersaturated. CHCl3 had the highest flux (6.2 nmol m(-2) hr(-1)) during the observation period. ..
- Fujii Y, Haraguchi K, Harada K, Hitomi T, Inoue K, Itoh Y, et al. Detection of dicofol and related pesticides in human breast milk from China, Korea and Japan. Chemosphere. 2011;82:25-31 pubmed publisher..In the present study, dicofol was confirmed to be detectable in human breast milk. This is the first report to identify dicofol in human samples. ..
- Ohsako S, Miyabara Y, Nishimura N, Kurosawa S, Sakaue M, Ishimura R, et al. Maternal exposure to a low dose of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) suppressed the development of reproductive organs of male rats: dose-dependent increase of mRNA levels of 5alpha-reductase type 2 in contrast to decrease of androgen recept. Toxicol Sci. 2001;60:132-43 pubmed
- Shinohara Y, Magara H, Baba S. Stereoselective pharmacokinetics and inversion of suprofen enantiomers in humans. J Pharm Sci. 1991;80:1075-8 pubmed
- Lee B, Iso M, Hosomi M. Prediction of Fenton oxidation positions in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by Frontier electron density. Chemosphere. 2001;42:431-5 pubmed..From these results, it appears that determining the Frontier electron density of a PAH is a promising method for predicting the Fenton oxidation position. ..
- Yoshida T, Horinouchi M, Ayabe Y, Yamaguchi T, Shibuya N, Habe H, et al. Saccharide production from methanol by transposon 5 mutants derived from the extracellular polysaccharide-producing bacterium Methylobacillus sp. strain 12S. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2000;54:341-7 pubmed..60 mg glucose equivalent/l). The GC-MS analysis showed that all the mutants accumulated glucose, erythrose, threose and a disaccharide-like compound in the media...
- Suzuki K, Takenaka J, Ogra Y. Identification of the zinc-binding protein specifically present in male rat liver as carbonic anhydrase III. Chem Biol Interact. 1999;122:185-97 pubmed..The concentration of CAIII was decreased specifically by repeated injections of cupric ions without the Cu,Zn-SOD concentration being affected...
- Kumazawa T, Suzuki O, Seno H, Hattori H. Determination of beta-phenylethylamine in catfish (Parasilurus asotus) tissues by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Comp Biochem Physiol C. 1988;91:571-4 pubmed..3. PEA was found in all tissues tested ranging from 2.8 to 38.2 ng/g wet wt tissue. It was highest in the spinal cord, followed by the skin, brain and intestine...
- Yashiki M, Kojima T, Ohtani M, Chikasue F, Miyazaki T. Determination of disulfoton and its metabolites in the body fluids of a Di-Syston intoxication case. Forensic Sci Int. 1990;48:145-54 pubmed..093 nmol/g (25.4 ng/g) and 4.92 nmol/g (corresponding to 1.35 micrograms/g of disulfoton), respectively. These concentrations appear to indicate a severe level of disulfoton intoxication. ..
- Shirasaka N, Nishi K, Shimizu S. Biosynthesis of furan fatty acids (F-acids) by a marine bacterium, Shewanella putrefaciens. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1346:253-60 pubmed..Finally, the amount of F18 began to increase after 20 h and reached a plateau at 36 h. These results suggest that 11-me-18:1 and 11-me-18:2 are precursors of F18. ..
- Takahashi Y, Orii T. Severity of GM1 gangliosidosis and urinary oligosaccharide excretion. Clin Chim Acta. 1989;179:153-62 pubmed..Differentiation of type 2A from type 2B can thus be made biochemically. The structures of 5 different kinds of oligosaccharides not reported previously were confirmed. ..
- Matsushima H. A selected ion monitoring assay for triclosan in medical waste water. Biomed Environ Mass Spectrom. 1988;16:255-7 pubmed..43-8.01 and 0.24-4.69 micrograms l-1, respectively. The present method is superior to the pre-existing ones in quick separation, specificity and sensitivity. ..
- Tanaka Y, Onaka T, Matsui T, Maruhashi K, Kurane R. Desulfurization of benzothiophene by the Gram-negative bacterium, Sinorhizobium sp. KT55. Curr Microbiol. 2001;43:187-91 pubmed..Desulfurization activity of this strain was significantly repressed by methionine, cysteine, sulfate, dimethyl sulfoxide, and Casamino acids...
- Hiradate S, Kamo T, Nakajima E, Kato K, Fujii Y. Direct quantitative determination of cyanamide by stable isotope dilution gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1098:138-43 pubmed..The determination range of cyanamide in the SID-GC-MS method was almost the same as that in the CNQ-HPLC method; however, the SID-GC-MS method was much simpler than the CNQ-HPLC method...
- Yamamoto T, Takano R, Egashira T, Yamanaka Y, Terada M. Simultaneous determination of methamphetamine and its metabolites in monkey urine by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry with selected ion monitoring. J Anal Toxicol. 1989;13:117-9 pubmed..We have shown that the repeated administration of methamphetamine causes the reduction of urinary excretion of aromatic hydroxylated metabolites. We propose that the method described here can be used for biological monitoring...
- Sato I, Kofujita H, Tsuda S. Identification of COX inhibitors in the hexane extract of Japanese horse chestnut (Aesculus turbinata) seeds. J Vet Med Sci. 2007;69:709-12 pubmed..Considering the efficacy and yield of each fatty acid, linoleic acid may be the principal COX inhibitor in this seed...
- Kajikawa M, Matsui K, Ochiai M, Tanaka Y, Kita Y, Ishimoto M, et al. Production of arachidonic and eicosapentaenoic acids in plants using bryophyte fatty acid Delta6-desaturase, Delta6-elongase, and Delta5-desaturase genes. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:435-44 pubmed..Similarly in soybean, C20-LCPUFAs represented up to 19.5% of the total fatty acids in the seeds. These results suggest that M. polymorpha can provide genes crucial to the production of C20-LCPUFAs in transgenic plants...
- Shinohara Y, Kirii N, Tamaoki H, Magara H, Baba S. Determination of the enantiomers of suprofen and [2H3]suprofen in plasma by capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr. 1990;525:93-104 pubmed..The sensitivity, specificity, accuracy and reproducibility of the method were demonstrated to be satisfactory for application to pharmacokinetic studies of suprofen enantiomers. ..
- Fujisawa M, Harada H, Kenmoku H, Mizutani S, Misawa N. Cloning and characterization of a novel gene that encodes (S)-beta-bisabolene synthase from ginger, Zingiber officinale. Planta. 2010;232:121-30 pubmed publisher..The ZoTps1 transcript was detected in young rhizomes, but not in leaves, roots and mature rhizomes of the ginger "Kintoki"...
- Moriya F, Ishizu H. Interactive effects of ethanol on benzodiazepines levels in blood and brain of rat. Arukoru Kenkyuto Yakubutsu Ison. 1992;27:254-65 pubmed..It was suggested that reinforcement effect of ethanol on the central nervous system depressant actions of triazolam and estazolam might appear by potentiation. ..
- Michihata T, Yano T, Enomoto T. Volatile compounds of headspace gas in the Japanese fish sauce ishiru. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2002;66:2251-5 pubmed..On the other hand, volatile fatty acids were nearly absent in the headspace gas of ishiru. ..
- Uematsu Y, Hirata K, Suzuki K, Iida K, Saito K. Chlorohydrins of bisphenol A diglycidyl ether (BADGE) and of bisphenol F diglycidyl ether (BFDGE) in canned foods and ready-to-drink coffees from the Japanese market. Food Addit Contam. 2001;18:177-85 pubmed..2HCl anti BFDGE.HCl.H2O at a level of 1.5 mg/kg. A Beilstein test confirmed that all cans containing foods contaminated with BADGE.2HCl or BFDGE.2HCl had at lest one part coated with a PVC organosol...
- Akutsu K, Obana H, Okihashi M, Kitagawa M, Nakazawa H, Matsuki Y, et al. GC/MS analysis of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in fish collected from the Inland Sea of Seto, Japan. Chemosphere. 2001;44:1325-33 pubmed..Seven PBDEs (BDE-28, 47, 66, 99, 100, 153, and 154) were detected in all the samples. The most abundant PBDE congener was BDE-47 found in all the samples. Relatively high levels of PBDEs were found in the gray mullets and yellowtails. ..
- Maruyama T, Saeki D, Ito M, Honda G. Molecular cloning, functional expression and characterization of d-limonene synthase from Agastache rugosa. Biol Pharm Bull. 2002;25:661-5 pubmed..Here, we discussed the amino acid residues responsible for the stereochemical regulation in limonene biosynthesis...
- Watanabe A, Kamei K, Sekine T, Waku M, Nishimura K, Miyaji M, et al. Effect of aeration on gliotoxin production by Aspergillus fumigatus in its culture filtrate. Mycopathologia. 2004;157:19-27 pubmed..fumigatus, with other toxic substances acting additively or synergistically. ..
- Hara K, Kashimura S, Hieda Y, Kageura M. Simple extractive derivatization of methamphetamine and its metabolites in biological materials with Extrelut columns for their GC-MS determination. J Anal Toxicol. 1997;21:54-8 pubmed..After deproteinization and adjustment of the pH to 12.6, the sample was applied to an Extrelut column. Using the present method, AMP, MAMP, and HMAMP could be determined in an actual forensic case study...
- Yajima Y, Funayama M, Niitsu H, Nata M, Kanawaku Y, Sakai J, et al. Concentrations of toluene in the body killed by an injury to the head shortly after ingesting thinner. Forensic Sci Int. 2005;147:9-12 pubmed..The brain is especially useful in postmortem analysis. In this case, the concentration of toluene in the brain was 20.0 microl/g, which was considered as a non-lethal level. ..
- Miyoshi K, Nishio T, Yasuhara A, Morita M, Shibamoto T. Detoxification of hexachlorobenzene by dechlorination with potassium-sodium alloy. Chemosphere. 2004;55:1439-46 pubmed..A method using K-Na alloy developed in the present study dechlorinated satisfactorily HCB at room temperature. ..
- Yokomizo T, Izumi T, Takahashi T, Kasama T, Kobayashi Y, Sato F, et al. Enzymatic inactivation of leukotriene B4 by a novel enzyme found in the porcine kidney. Purification and properties of leukotriene B4 12-hydroxydehydrogenase. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:18128-35 pubmed..These results suggest that the enzyme acts specifically on the 12(R)-hydroxy group of leukotriene B4 and is involved in the metabolic inactivation of LTB4 in the porcine kidney. ..
- Katsumata T, Hasegawa A, Fujiwara T, Komatsu T, Notomi M, Abe H, et al. Arabidopsis CYP85A2 catalyzes lactonization reactions in the biosynthesis of 2-deoxy-7-oxalactone brassinosteroids. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:2110-7 pubmed
- Kawai H, Makino Y, Hirobe M, Ohta S. Novel endogenous 1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline derivatives: uptake by dopamine transporter and activity to induce parkinsonism. J Neurochem. 1998;70:745-51 pubmed..2 pmol/min/mg of protein, respectively. Thus, endogenous 3',4'DHBnTIQ may be actively transported into dopaminergic neurons and accumulated there, contributing at least in part to the induction of idiopathic Parkinson's disease. ..
- Shibuya M, Hoshino M, Katsube Y, Hayashi H, Kushiro T, Ebizuka Y. Identification of beta-amyrin and sophoradiol 24-hydroxylase by expressed sequence tag mining and functional expression assay. FEBS J. 2006;273:948-59 pubmed publisher..In addition, substrate specificity with the obtained P450 hydroxylase indicates the two possible biosynthetic routes from triterpene-monool to triterpene-triol...
- Mori M, Uy Yu N, Sakai K, Inoue M, Miyahara T, Kozuka H. Isolation of urinary p-hydroxylated metabolites of mephentermine and phentermine in male Wistar rats. Xenobiotica. 1990;20:653-6 pubmed..2. These results substantiate previous indications that p-hydroxylation of MP and Ph was a primary metabolic reaction in the rat...
- Kurumatani M, Yagi K, Murata T, Tezuka M, Mander L, Nishiyama M, et al. Isolation and identification of antheridiogens in the ferns, Lygodium microphyllum and Lygodium reticulatum. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001;65:2311-4 pubmed..Since both species produced antheridiogens at a high level, they were classified into high-antheridiogen-producing ferns. The response to GA73-Me of gametophytes of both species is also discussed...
- Yashiki M, Miyazaki T, Iwasaki Y, Taniguchi T, Kojima T, Sakai K, et al. [A fatal case caused by organophosphorus insecticide intoxication and confirmed by the metabolite found in the blood]. Nihon Hoigaku Zasshi. 1992;46:276-81 pubmed..A metabolite of disulfoton, phosphorothiolate sulfone, was detected by FPD-gas chromatography, and confirmed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. ..
- Takeba K, Itoh T, Matsumoto M, Nakazawa H, Tanabe S. Simultaneous determination of five fasciolicides in milk by liquid chromatography with electrochemical detection. J AOAC Int. 1996;79:848-52 pubmed..7%. The detection limits of the drugs in milk were 4-20 ng/mL. The method is used to monitor commercial milk samples and to determine the residual levels of these drugs in milk from cows treated with a fasciolicide...
- Furusawa M, Hashimoto T, Noma Y, Asakawa Y. Highly efficient production of nootkatone, the grapefruit aroma from valencene, by biotransformation. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2005;53:1513-4 pubmed