Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on in France
- Zuccolo M, Alves A, Galy V, Bolhy S, Formstecher E, Racine V, et al. The human Nup107-160 nuclear pore subcomplex contributes to proper kinetochore functions. EMBO J. 2007;26:1853-64 pubmed..Together, our data thus provide the first molecular clues underlying the function of the human Nup107-160 complex at kinetochores. ..
- Bouhouche K, Zickler D, Debuchy R, Arnaise S. Altering a gene involved in nuclear distribution increases the repeat-induced point mutation process in the fungus Podospora anserina. Genetics. 2004;167:151-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that the developmental slowdown of the ami1 mutant during the period of RIP and PR increases time exposure to the duplication detection system and thus increases the frequency of RIP and PR...
- Durand Dubief M, Bastin P. TbAGO1, an argonaute protein required for RNA interference, is involved in mitosis and chromosome segregation in Trypanosoma brucei. BMC Biol. 2003;1:2 pubmed publisher..We propose a working hypothesis in which RNAi would be involved in heterochromatin formation at the centromere and therefore in chromosome segregation...
- Collura A, Blaisonneau J, Baldacci G, Francesconi S. The fission yeast Crb2/Chk1 pathway coordinates the DNA damage and spindle checkpoint in response to replication stress induced by topoisomerase I inhibitor. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:7889-99 pubmed..This new pathway enhances cell survival and genome stability when cells undergo replicative stress in the absence of a proficient G(2)/M DNA damage checkpoint. ..
- Martineau Thuillier S, Andreassen P, Margolis R. Colocalization of TD-60 and INCENP throughout G2 and mitosis: evidence for their possible interaction in signalling cytokinesis. Chromosoma. 1998;107:461-70 pubmed..Such a mechanism, using chromosome passenger proteins, may ensure that cytokinesis occurs only between the separated chromatids, and only after they have segregated. ..
- Orpinell M, Fournier M, Riss A, Nagy Z, Krebs A, Frontini M, et al. The ATAC acetyl transferase complex controls mitotic progression by targeting non-histone substrates. EMBO J. 2010;29:2381-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered an essential function for ATAC in regulating Cyclin A activity and consequent mitotic progression. ..
- Eot Houllier G, Venoux M, Vidal Eychenié S, Hoang M, Giorgi D, Rouquier S. Plk1 regulates both ASAP localization and its role in spindle pole integrity. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29556-68 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a novel function of ASAP in centrosome integrity. Our results highlight dual ASAP regulation by Plk1 and further confirm the importance of ASAP for spindle pole organization, bipolar spindle assembly, and mitosis. ..
- Piel M, Nordberg J, Euteneuer U, Bornens M. Centrosome-dependent exit of cytokinesis in animal cells. Science. 2001;291:1550-3 pubmed
- Leon A, Omri B, Gely A, Klein C, Crisanti P. QN1/KIAA1009: a new essential protein for chromosome segregation and mitotic spindle assembly. Oncogene. 2006;25:1887-95 pubmed..Thus, QN1/KIAA1009 is a new microtubule-associated ATPase involved in cell division. ..
- Castro A, Lorca T. Exploring meiotic division in Cargèse. Meeting on meiotic divisions and checkpoints. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:821-5 pubmed
- Saffin J, Venoux M, Prigent C, Espeut J, Poulat F, Giorgi D, et al. ASAP, a human microtubule-associated protein required for bipolar spindle assembly and cytokinesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:11302-7 pubmed..These results suggest a crucial role for ASAP in the organization of the bipolar mitotic spindle, mitosis progression, and cytokinesis and define ASAP as a key factor for proper spindle assembly. ..
- Segalen M, Johnston C, Martin C, Dumortier J, Prehoda K, David N, et al. The Fz-Dsh planar cell polarity pathway induces oriented cell division via Mud/NuMA in Drosophila and zebrafish. Dev Cell. 2010;19:740-52 pubmed publisher..Overall, we describe a Frizzled-Dishevelled-NuMA pathway that orients division from Drosophila to vertebrates. ..
- Andreassen P, Lohez O, Lacroix F, Margolis R. Tetraploid state induces p53-dependent arrest of nontransformed mammalian cells in G1. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1315-28 pubmed..As such, the tetraploidy checkpoint may be a critical activity of p53 in its role of ensuring genomic integrity. ..
- Mollinari C, Kleman J, Saoudi Y, Jablonski S, Perard J, Yen T, et al. Ablation of PRC1 by small interfering RNA demonstrates that cytokinetic abscission requires a central spindle bundle in mammalian cells, whereas completion of furrowing does not. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:1043-55 pubmed..Furrowing goes to completion, but abscission to create two daughter cells fails. We conclude the central spindle bundle is required for abscission but not for furrowing in mammalian cells. ..
- Boehler C, Gauthier L, Mortusewicz O, Biard D, Saliou J, Bresson A, et al. Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase 3 (PARP3), a newcomer in cellular response to DNA damage and mitotic progression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2783-8 pubmed publisher..Both functions open stimulating prospects for specifically targeting PARP3 in cancer therapy. ..
- Vigneron S, Prieto S, Bernis C, Labbé J, Castro A, Lorca T. Kinetochore localization of spindle checkpoint proteins: who controls whom?. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4584-96 pubmed..Thus, at the last step of the spindle checkpoint cascade, Mad1/Mad2, Cdc20, and APC are recruited at the kinetochores independently from each other. ..
- Bieche I, Vacher S, Lallemand F, Tozlu Kara S, Bennani H, Beuzelin M, et al. Expression analysis of mitotic spindle checkpoint genes in breast carcinoma: role of NDC80/HEC1 in early breast tumorigenicity, and a two-gene signature for aneuploidy. Mol Cancer. 2011;10:23 pubmed publisher..The novel genes identified here, and/or the two-gene expression signature, might serve as diagnostic or prognostic markers and form the basis for novel therapeutic strategies. ..
- Verlhac M, Kubiak J, Weber M, Geraud G, Colledge W, Evans M, et al. Mos is required for MAP kinase activation and is involved in microtubule organization during meiotic maturation in the mouse. Development. 1996;122:815-22 pubmed..These observations present the first evidence, in intact oocytes, of a role for the Mos/.../MAP kinase cascade in the control of microtubule and chromatin organization during meiosis. ..
- Bailly E, Cabantous S, Sondaz D, Bernadac A, Simon M. Differential cellular localization among mitotic cyclins from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a new role for the axial budding protein Bud3 in targeting Clb2 to the mother-bud neck. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:4119-30 pubmed..Taken together, our data uncover a new role for Bud3 in cytokinesis that correlates with its capacity to target Clb2 at the neck, independently of its well established cell-type-specific function in bud site selection. ..
- Gueth Hallonet C, Antony C, Aghion J, Santa Maria A, Lajoie Mazenc I, Wright M, et al. gamma-Tubulin is present in acentriolar MTOCs during early mouse development. J Cell Sci. 1993;105 ( Pt 1):157-66 pubmed..In parallel, electron microscopy studies allowed us to detect centrioles for the first time at the 64-cell stage. The possible roles of gamma-tubulin in microtubule nucleation and in centrosome maturation are discussed. ..
- Mollinari C, Kleman J, Jiang W, Schoehn G, Hunter T, Margolis R. PRC1 is a microtubule binding and bundling protein essential to maintain the mitotic spindle midzone. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:1175-86 pubmed..We conclude that PRC1 is a microtubule-associated protein required to maintain the spindle midzone, and that distinct functions are associated with modular elements of the primary sequence. ..
- Godin J, Colombo K, Molina Calavita M, Keryer G, Zala D, Charrin B, et al. Huntingtin is required for mitotic spindle orientation and mammalian neurogenesis. Neuron. 2010;67:392-406 pubmed publisher..Moreover, Drosophila huntingtin restores spindle misorientation in mammalian cells. These findings reveal an unexpected role for huntingtin in dividing cells, with potential important implications in health and disease. ..
- Fink J, Carpi N, Betz T, Bétard A, Chebah M, Azioune A, et al. External forces control mitotic spindle positioning. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:771-8 pubmed publisher..We propose that cells divide according to cues provided by their mechanical micro-environment, aligning daughter cells with the external force field. ..
- Vigneron S, Brioudes E, Burgess A, Labbe J, Lorca T, Castro A. RSK2 is a kinetochore-associated protein that participates in the spindle assembly checkpoint. Oncogene. 2010;29:3566-74 pubmed publisher..We also show that this kinase might also participate in the maintenance of the SAC in mammalian cells as Rsk2 knockdown in these cells prevents the kinetochore localization of Mad1, Mad2 and CENP-E under checkpoint conditions. ..
- Montagnac G, Chavrier P. Abscission accomplished by PtdIns(3)P. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:308-10 pubmed publisher..Phosphatidylinositol-3-phosphate (PtdIns(3)P), an endosomal phosphoinositide, and FYVE-CENT, a PtdIns3P-binding protein, are found in the bridge, where they contribute to the mechanism of abscission. ..
- Houchmandzadeh B, Marko J, Chatenay D, Libchaber A. Elasticity and structure of eukaryote chromosomes studied by micromanipulation and micropipette aspiration. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:1-12 pubmed..Knowing the Young modulus allows us to estimate that the force exerted by the spindle on a newt chromosome at anaphase is roughly one nanonewton...
- De Martino A, Amato A, Bowler C. Mitosis in diatoms: rediscovering an old model for cell division. Bioessays. 2009;31:874-84 pubmed publisher..A renaissance of the topic is further justified by the current interest in diatoms as a source of biofuels and for understanding massive diatom proliferation events in response to environmental stimuli. ..
- Montagnac G, Echard A, Chavrier P. Endocytic traffic in animal cell cytokinesis. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2008;20:454-61 pubmed publisher..Why endocytic traffic occurs within the intercellular bridge remains largely mysterious and its significance for cytokinesis will be discussed...
- Le Masson I, Saveanu C, Chevalier A, Namane A, Gobin R, Fromont Racine M, et al. Spc24 interacts with Mps2 and is required for chromosome segregation, but is not implicated in spindle pole body duplication. Mol Microbiol. 2002;43:1431-43 pubmed..The Mps2-Spc24 interaction may contribute to the localization of Spc24 and other kinetochore components to the inner plaque of the SPB. ..
- Vinot S, Le T, Maro B, Louvet Vallee S. Two PAR6 proteins become asymmetrically localized during establishment of polarity in mouse oocytes. Curr Biol. 2004;14:520-5 pubmed..mPARD6b is the first identified protein to localize to the animal pole of the mouse oocyte and likely contributes to the polarization of the cortex. ..
- Ame J, Spenlehauer C, de Murcia G. The PARP superfamily. Bioessays. 2004;26:882-93 pubmed..A provisional nomenclature is proposed. ..
- Artus J, Vandormael Pournin S, Frodin M, Nacerddine K, Babinet C, Cohen Tannoudji M. Impaired mitotic progression and preimplantation lethality in mice lacking OMCG1, a new evolutionarily conserved nuclear protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6289-302 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that Omcg1 is an important regulator of the cell cycle in the preimplantation embryo. ..
- Fischer E, Legue E, Doyen A, Nato F, Nicolas J, Torres V, et al. Defective planar cell polarity in polycystic kidney disease. Nat Genet. 2006;38:21-3 pubmed..These results suggest that oriented cell division dictates the maintenance of constant tubule diameter during tubular lengthening and that defects in this process trigger renal tubular enlargement and cyst formation. ..
- Delcros J, Prigent C, Giet R. Dynactin targets Pavarotti-KLP to the central spindle during anaphase and facilitates cytokinesis in Drosophila S2 cells. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4431-41 pubmed..The contribution of the dynein-dynactin complex to synchronous chromosome segregation and cytokinesis is discussed. ..
- Simon Levert A, Aze A, Bontemps Subielos N, Banaigs B, Geneviere A. Antimitotic activity of methoxyconidiol, a meroterpene isolated from an ascidian. Chem Biol Interact. 2007;168:106-16 pubmed..This characteristic cell cycle arrest induced by methoxyconidiol in sea urchin eggs emphasizes the interest for this drug as a putative antiproliferative agent for tumor cells. ..
- Venoux M, Basbous J, Berthenet C, Prigent C, Fernandez A, Lamb N, et al. ASAP is a novel substrate of the oncogenic mitotic kinase Aurora-A: phosphorylation on Ser625 is essential to spindle formation and mitosis. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:215-24 pubmed..All together, these results suggest that we have identified a novel AurA substrate, pointing out ASAP as a new potential target for antitumoral drugs. ..
- Muñoz Centeno M, McBratney S, Monterrosa A, Byers B, Mann C, Winey M. Saccharomyces cerevisiae MPS2 encodes a membrane protein localized at the spindle pole body and the nuclear envelope. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2393-406 pubmed..Additionally, immunoelectron microscopy shows that GFP-Mps2p localizes to the SPB. Our analysis suggests that Mps2p is required as a component of the SPB for insertion of the nascent SPB into the nuclear envelope. ..
- Bobinnec Y, Morin X, Debec A. Shaggy/GSK-3beta kinase localizes to the centrosome and to specialized cytoskeletal structures in Drosophila. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2006;63:313-20 pubmed
- Caillaud M, Paganelli L, Lecomte P, Deslandes L, Quentin M, Pecrix Y, et al. Spindle assembly checkpoint protein dynamics reveal conserved and unsuspected roles in plant cell division. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6757 pubmed publisher..1 may have other roles beyond the spindle assembly checkpoint itself. Finally, this study of the SAC dynamics pinpoints uncharacterised roles of this surveillance mechanism in plant cell division. ..
- Debec A, Grammont M, Berson G, Dastugue B, Sullivan W, Couderc J. Toucan protein is essential for the assembly of syncytial mitotic spindles in Drosophila melanogaster. Genesis. 2001;31:167-75 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that Toucan represents a factor essential for the assembly and the function of the syncytial mitotic spindles. ..
- Bolhy S, Bouhlel I, Dultz E, Nayak T, Zuccolo M, Gatti X, et al. A Nup133-dependent NPC-anchored network tethers centrosomes to the nuclear envelope in prophase. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:855-71 pubmed publisher..Finally, our study reveals that tethering of centrosomes to the nuclear surface at the G2/M transition contributes, along with other cellular mechanisms, to early stages of bipolar spindle assembly...
- Sabino D, Brown N, Basto R. Drosophila Ajuba is not an Aurora-A activator but is required to maintain Aurora-A at the centrosome. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1156-66 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our studies in Drosophila neuroblasts, we propose that a key function of Ajuba, in these cells, is to maintain active Aur-A at the centrosome during mitosis. ..
- Emre D, Terracol R, Poncet A, Rahmani Z, Karess R. A mitotic role for Mad1 beyond the spindle checkpoint. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1664-71 pubmed publisher..This activity does not require the presence of Mad2, but it does depend in some unknown way on key residues in the Mad2-binding domain of Mad1. ..
- Garcia Saez I, Blot D, Kahn R, Kozielski F. Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic analysis of the motor domain of human kinetochore-associated protein CENP-E using an automated crystallization procedure. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2004;60:1158-60 pubmed..The crystals (737 x 132 x 79 microm) belong to the space group P2(1), with unit-cell parameters a = 49.35, b = 83.70, c = 94.16 angstroms, beta = 103.05 degrees. They diffract to 2.1 angstroms resolution using synchrotron radiation. ..
- Carreno S, Kouranti I, Glusman E, Fuller M, Echard A, Payre F. Moesin and its activating kinase Slik are required for cortical stability and microtubule organization in mitotic cells. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:739-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that the spatiotemporal control of moesin activation at the mitotic cortex provides localized cues to coordinate cortical contractility and microtubule interactions during cell division. ..
- Romao M, Tanaka K, Sibarita J, Ly Hartig N, Tanaka T, Antony C. Three-dimensional electron microscopy analysis of ndc10-1 mutant reveals an aberrant organization of the mitotic spindle and spindle pole body defects in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Struct Biol. 2008;163:18-28 pubmed publisher..We propose that Ndc10p, alongside its role in kinetochore-microtubule interaction, is also essential for SPB maturation and mitotic spindle integrity. ..
- Sarafan Vasseur N, Lamy A, Bourguignon J, Le Pessot F, Hieter P, Sesboué R, et al. Overexpression of B-type cyclins alters chromosomal segregation. Oncogene. 2002;21:2051-7 pubmed..These results suggest that overexpression of cyclins B, resulting from different mechanisms, could contribute, through an alteration of the spindle checkpoint, to the chromosomal instability observed in cancer. ..